West Boone Township
BOUNDARY- PHYSICAL FEATURES - EARLY SETTLERS - THEIR EXPERIENCE - SETTLERS WHO CAME AFTER THE CLOSE OF THE WAR OF 1861 - MILL -ROSIER - SCHOOL.
Beginning at the southeast corner of section 36, thence west about five and three-quarter miles ; thence north five and three-eighths of a mile ; thence east five and three-quarters of a mile ; thence south five and three-eighths of a mile to the place of beginning.
There is, perhaps, no better agricultural district in Bates County than West Boone Township. The surface of the country is gently rolling. The township is watered in the northeastern part by Mormon Fork and its affluents, and in the southwest by Miami Creek and its tributaries. The streams have more or less timber on their banks.
The first white men to pitch their tents in the limits of what is now known as West Boone Township were Alexander, Wilson and Norris Feely, brothers - the two former coming in 1842 and Norris in 1849 as a permanent settler. Alexander Feely served in 1861 as one of the county court judges, his associates being Edmund Bartlette and Samuel M. Pyle. Judge Feely was a useful and prominent citizen and continued to interest himself in the welfare of his county until his death, which occurred August 27, 1877.
Wilson Feely resided here until 1862 ; then went to Johnson County, Missouri, where he remained till 1871, when he returned to West Boone, where he still lives.
Norris Feely did not locate here as above stated till 1849. In recalling the early incidents and experience of the first ten years of his frontier life in Bates, his memory seemed to dwell more fondly and with more particularity upon his hunting expeditions. He was a Nestor among the hunters, and even now sighs for the return of the good old days when he enjoyed to his heart's content the pleasures of sylvan sports. He says, notwithstanding the privations of pioneer times, he would be delighted to live them over again, and would now go to any country where he could enjoy them.
Frank R. Berry, a native Kentuckian, came to Jackson County, Missouri, and thence to Bates County, before the war. He settled on the headwaters of Mormon Fork Creek. He now resides at the old place setded by himself.
T. E. Strode, also a Kentuckian, came at an early day and settled near Berry, to whom he was related. He died in 1879, leaving a wife and one son, who live on the old farm.
Joseph Clyer settled on section 29, near the Kansas line, many years before the war. He moved to Texas after the war.
Joseph and J. P. Taylor came with their father at an early day, and located on section 24. The old gentleman died after the war of 186 1.
The following settlers came soon after the close of the war : John S. Stewart, James A. Stewart, Jacob Groves, William Groves, G. L. Sayles, J. N. White, A. Rosier, J. H. Boswell, R. M. Feeley, W. B. Akin, Jesse Nave, John Riley, Luke Gage, O. W. Stitt, J. C. Berry, George Harter.
H. White operates a grist mill at Rosier, and has been running it about one year. This is the only mill that was ever erected in the township.
is a small place, located in September, 1881, at which time Bryant Bros. & McDaniel opened a store, general merchandise. L. R. Robinson opened a drug store about the same time. Sharpies is the present blacksmith. R. S. Bennett is the physician.
The first school house was erected in the southeast quarter of the southeast quarter of section 12. Norris Feely says he remembers well of building the chimney. It was on a rainy day, and after the job was completed, Feely, and the men who were assisting him, all repaired to the house of John Ballard and soaked themselves thoroughly on the inside, to prevent any ill effects from the soaking received on the outside.
BACK -- HOME
© Genealogy Trails