Benton County, Missouri
Benton County, Missouri, is centrally located in the southwest part of the state. It was organized January 3, 1835 and named in honor of Thomas Hart Benton, United States senator. Three flags have flown over it: those of France, Spain and the United States. It is bounded onthe north by Pettis County, east by Morgan and Camden Counties, south by Hickory and west by Henry and St. Clair. Population is 8,787. About two-thirds of its 745 square miles of territory lying along the Osage River is broken with good uplands and rich bottoms, the remaining portion being rolling prairie. Of the total 350,176 acres, 112,000 are under cultivation, the remainder being pasture land. Benton County is principally a tourist, farming, livestock, and dairy county. Tourism has been a booming business since the construction of Bagnell Dam in 1930, creating the Lake of the Ozarks which crosses the county from east to west with the Osage running through it. Among the numerous tributaries of the Lake in the county are Pomme de Terre and Grand Rivers, Hogles, Deer, Turkey, Cole Camp and Tebo Creeks, along whose banks stand the pretty and often luxurious homes of resort and retired folks. These people have been drawn here by the scenic beauty of the place, where towering cliffs overhang streams crowded by cedars; where the rolling, fertile prairie stands out in interesting contrast to the riverland, Coal is found in the west part of the county and there is a general supply of hardwood timber of all ldnds, Lead and Iron are found in many places but have never been mined in paying quantities. County Boundaries: Beginning at the northwest corner of Township 43, to range 20, thence south to the s,e, corner of Section one, of township 38, of range 20; thence west to the s.w, corner of Section 6, in Township 38 and range 23; thence north to the s.w, corner of Section 7 of Township 43 and Range 23; thence east to the s.e, corner of Section 12, of Township 43 and range 22; thence north to the township line dividing Township 43 and 44; thence east to the place of beginning.
HISTORY OF BENTON COUNTY'S NAME
Benton County was named for Thomas Hart Benton who served Missouri in the United States Senate continously for 30 years. He was defeated for election in 1851. His was the longest tenure of political office in Missouri, tying with Senator Francis M. Cockrell. Benton was born in North Carolina on March 14, 1782 of English and Scotch parentage and died in 1858 after a long and honorable political career. His father died when he was 8 and his education was not extensive, he attended a grammar school and a short term at North Carolina University. In 1799 he and his mother and other children of the family went to a large land grant. "the widow Benton settlement" (which his late father had gotten) not far from Nashville, Tenn. Successful in developing the plantation, he nevertheless determined to be a lawyer, teaching school and reading law alternately until admitted to the bar in 1806. Threatened with consumption, a disease which had killed his father and five of his brothers, Benton took to outdoor life in the army, raising a regiment of Tennessee recruits to fight under General Andrew Jackson in the War of 1812. Benton did not see active duty, but the active life of a soldier cured his disease and he became a vigorous man. He and Jackson quarreled,later fought, and Jackson was badly wounded in their encounter of Sept. 4, 1813. The bad publicity caused Benton to move to Missouri at St. Louis about 1815. Although a slave owner, he considered the institution of slavery an evil and was opposed to its extension into places where it did not already exist. His absolute fearlessness-his bold and reckless defiance of pro-slavery people-s-lead to his defeat for re-election in 1851. He believed in The Union of States. He was a non-drinker, devoted to his family, generally companionable with his children and grandchildren. Very generous by nature, he died a poor man. He was the champion of the common man, cheap land, fur trade and western expansion, and was considered first in the great men of his day: Clay, Calhoun and Webster. After his defeat in the Senate race of 1851, he served one term in Congress from the Missouri 1st District but was defeated in a later race for the Senate and governor of Missouri. He spoke at Warsaw to a crowd exceeding 1,000 in 1855.
PART OF MANY COUNTIES
In the creation and division of new counties in Missouri, the territory now embraced in the limits of Benton County have been repeatedly divided and changed from one county to another. Back as far as 1816 all of what is now Benton County north of the Osage River was in Howard County, while that south of the river was in Washington County, then in Crawford and then in Greene County. In 1833, when Pettis County was formed, it took all north of the Osage River.
The act creating Benton County bears date January 3, 1835. Its original boundary lines took in twenty-four square miles of what is now Pettis County, and was the northwest corner of the county of Benton. It also included nearly one-half of (now) Hickory County-that is all of Hickory County north of the north line of Township 36. February 17, 1835, the Legislature added to Benton County all of what is now in Camden County lying south of the Osage River and west of the Big Niangua. This constituted Niangua Township. It is now part of Camden County, and was taken off Benton County January 29, 1841. In 1845 Hickory County was formed, taking from Benton all of its territory south of the north line of Township 36, and the same year the twenty-four miles square of the northwest part of the county was given to Pettis County. These constituted the changes in boundary lines which have remained undisturbed.
The first session of this court was at the house of Markham Fristoe, February 16, 1835, with Judges Joseph C. Montgomery, John W. Lindsey and William White present. Thomas Bishop, county clerk. The first official act of the county was the first day's work of the court-granting a grocery license to Ezekiel Williams. This is now called "saloon license." The next day the court appointed HughM. Donaghe county assessor; Stephen A. Howser collector; Jesse F. Royston, surveyor; John Holloway, treasurer; Markham Fristoe had been appointed sheriff the previous January. At the August term, 1837, the court appointed James Ramsey county seat commissioner, and ordered him to employ a United States surveyor to properly ascertain the town, range and section of the town site. He described the point chosen as the "southeast quarter Section 17, Township 40 north, Range 22 west," where now stands the city of Warsaw. The county had to obtain its title to the land under the preemption laws, the government surveys not then having been made. The court ordered sixty lots sold at public vendue. The next year, 1838, the court took the preliminary steps to erect the needed county buildings, and called for bids and let out the contracts for court-house and jail. In that day and time these were all the buildings a county was supposed to need. Apoor-house or farm is a more modern contrivance or necessity. Hon, James, H. Lay, in his historical sketch of the county, mentions the curious fact that for the first half decade the largest part of the business of the court was in reference to license to sell liquors.
LOCATION OF COUNTY SEAT
By the act organizing Benton County, John Fisher of Pettis County, Thomas Kimsey of Rives County and James McCutcheon of Morgan County were appointed Commissioners to locate the county seat of the new county. They were required to meet at the house of Judge William White, on Little Tebo river, on the first Monday in April, 1835. They failed to fill thelr.anoofntment, and in January. 1837. the Legislature appointed Bethel Allen of county. Henry Avery of Henry and Richard D. Bradley as a new commission to select a county seat. They were directed to meet at Markham Fristoe's, and to locate the county town as near the center of the county and the Osage River as best could be found. Fristoe was already a town of existence, It was on the northeast quarter of the southeast quarter of Section 8, Township 40 Range 22 about one mile north of Warsaw, on the Sedalia road. A rivai of Fristo: or Old Town was New Town, Log Town, Diceville, Bristoe or Osage as it was respectively called. The former was where A. C. Dice's hous: stood, on the northwes_~ quarter of Section 8, Township 49, Range 22, these were small trading places, and possessed of great ambition to to.be made county seat. Markham Fristoe championed Fristoe, and Lewis Bledsoe, New Town. So even were their respective claims that both were rejected, and the commissioners selected the place where Warsaw now stands; at that time only the house of Stephen A. Howser was on the grounds; it was near where Gillett's mill stands. The only road was slim path leading to what is now the Sedalia road. The traveled road then crossed the river at Bledsoe's ferry; the land now is Kaysinger Dam site land-Here also was located a populous Shawnee village. From the ferry to Fristoe the road ran along the ridge above town. When Fristoe and Bledsoe found they had lost the location, they proceeded to get up petitions and signers to locate the town half way between the two rivals, on the ridge a short distance south of where Mr. Dice built his house. The county clerk, Thomas Bishop, opposed the change and induced enough signers to withdraw from the petition to kill the movement, The case went into the courts, but was defeated. Then William L. Vaughn, who had a store about a mile east of the chosen site, made a vigorous effort to move, it to his place. He called his prospective town Argus, but his movement also failed. The county court appointed James Ramsey county seat commissioner. As required by the act appointing him, he secured the services of George Lewis, deputy United States surveyor, to ascertain and fix the numbers of the land and the boundaries. He reported the place chosen, and described it as follows: "On the southeast quarter Section 17, Township 40 north, Range 22 west." Robert Wyatt surveyed and laid off the town. The commissioner was ordered to sell lots on February 15, 1838. The records show that D. C. Ballou and S. A. Howser were sent to the land office at Springfield to prove up the preemption right to the land. At the March term, 1838, the court appropriated $250 to build a court-house, and ordered that a suitable jail-building be erected, and appointed Adamson Cornwall superintendent of buildings. The log court-house was built on Lot 6, Block 10, where the old Mechanics Bank building now stands and is used by Benton County as a jail. It was completed in 1842, overrunning the court's appropriation and costing $300. Lewis Bledsoe built the jail, and it was not substantial. It was torn down and rebuilt in 1852. In 1838.;39 steps were taken by the court to build a new and suitable court-house, "not to cost over $2,500." It was contracted at that price. but after putting up the foundation the contractor, gave up the job. In 1840 after some changes in the plan, it was contracted byJames Donald, and the house completed, sufficient for use in 1842. The upper story was leased to the Masons in. 1868, and they completed that part and occupied it until they returned their charter and ceased to have a lodge in Warsaw. The building was 40' square and had a fireplace.
The foundation was defective, and the building was condemned, and by order of court sold to Waldo P, Johnson for the sum of $275, in December 1881~ During the time the present court house was being built, the Court and other County officials occupied four separate one-room buildings on the corners of the Court yard. George Humphrey, Warsaw barber, later bought the two buildings on the northeast and southeast corners, and used them in constructing his home cater-cornered across the street on the northeast. The house recentlv has been occupied by Mrs. A. B. Cunningham, Mr. Donald almost did not build the Benton County court nouse,' On local legend states that Mr. Donald came to Warsaw in 1839 to build the court house as he had contracted with the county court. He began construction of the foundation but the constant brawlings and murders among the citizenry so concerned him that he quit the job and returned to Boonville. He returned to finish construction in 1840. This time he stayed to become operator of the largest blacksmith shop in the area, operating his business, near the southeast corner of Main and State Streets, now occupied by a pool hall. During the California Gold Rush days, fifteen forges making horseshoes and, repairing prairie schooners were kept glowing in the Donald blacksmithy, SW corner Main & State. Mr. Donald lived out his almost hundred years in Warsaw. The third court house still in use was completed in 1884. At the May term (1886) of the court a contract was made to inclose the present building and furnish vault doors for the sum of $6,620. The other contract to finish inside of the building was for the agreed amount of $2,469, or.a total of $9,089. The building was completed and court was held in It in October, 1887.
At the first meeting of the county court the county was divided into four townships, as follows: Cole Township, named in honor of Capt. Stephen Cole, one of the early prominent settlers in this part of Missouri-Cooper County. Originally it comprised, in addition to its present territory, Union and the east side of Fristoe Townships. The first elections were at the house of John H. Howard; afterward at the houses of WUliam Kays and Henry A. Dawson. The judges at the first election were WUliam Kays, Joseph Walton and Jesse F. Royston. The first justices of the peace were John H. Howard and Jesse F. Royston; constable Logan Kays. Williams Township boundaries have remained as originally formed. It was named in honor of Ezekiel Williams, one of its earliest prominent settlers. The first elections were held at his house, and he, together with Sympkins Harryman and Thomas Moon, were the first judges of elections. For some years they were at William's house, then at the house of Albert Nichols, and then fixed at Cole Camp. Levi Odineal was first justice, and Thomas Moon, first constable. Lindsay Township was named for Judge John W.Lindsay, of the county court, and comprised all that part of the county north of the Osage and Grand Rivers and west of Cole and Williams Townships. The first elections were at the house of John Isbell, which stood near the spring on the south part of the John Failer farm. The first election judges were John Graham, Mannen Duren and Zachariah Fewell. The first justices were Adamson Cornwall, Stephen A. Howserl Zachariah Fewell. In the course of time elections were held at the store of Ringo & Jopling, and then at the house of Markham Fristoe, one mile north of Warsaw. Montgomery Township by its name perpetuates that of Judge Joseph C. Montgomery, who was one of the county court when the county was formed. The part of this township now in Benton County is Tom and Alexander Townships, and a part of the west side of Fristoe Township. The other part is in Hickory County, extending beyond Quincy. The first elections were at the house of George Alexander, until Alexander Township was cut off, then at Judge Montgomery's, Lusk's and Cruce's. The first election judges were George Alexander, Thomas F. Wright and Samuel Judy. John Rippetoe was the first justice of the peace, and James Morton (who became a conspicuous figure in the county vendetta) was the first constable; John Roberts and Nathan Breshears were the first road overseers. In the formation of newcounties and re-arranging new townships, Montgomery Township disappeared from the map of Benton County. Niangua Township was formed in 1835, and ceased to be a part of Benton County in 1841. Its settlement and history are a part of Camden County. Alexander Township bears the name of Judge George Alexander. It was formed February 13, 1838. At first it included what is now Tom and a part of Fristoe Townships. It was cut out of Montgomery Township, and took all that part of its territory now in Benton County. White Township dates its existence from November 12,1838, and was named for Judge William White, of the county court. The first elections were at the house of George McDaniel, a short distance west of Joseph G. Parsons'. The first election judges were Henry Y. Elbert, Enos M,~Daniel and James Graham. Union Township was cut off the south end of Cole Township June 2, 1840, and at first took in the northeast part of Hickory County and a part of the present Fristoe Township. The first election was at Richard Cates', on North Prairie, the judges being John McEwin, George W. Rives and Samuel Weaver. Elections were afterward at the houses of James E. Foster, A. F. Doak and Thomas Miles. Tom Township bears the short, every-day name of clever Tom Bishop, clerk of the county court. The first elections were held at John Holloway's, where Charles Hall now lives, the first judges being Isaac Lusk, James Browder and John B. Wright. Hickory Township had a short life in Benton County. It was formed September 18, 1844, and was taken into Hickory County February 14, 1845. Fristoe Township is the youngest of the eight townships now in the county, and was named after one of the most prominent settlers Markham Fristoe. The first judges were Joel Shepherd, James Walthall and Edward P, Bell. One of the early prominent settlers was George H. Hughes; another one being Judge Ham and also William Kelly. The first election when it was a part of Pettis County was at Kelly's. This election was remembered distinctly by the pioneers because of the general free fight that took place at the polling. An 1876 History lists a "Warsaw Landing" Township.
A log jail was contracted for in 1838 and built, and this was used until 1852, when it was torn down and a new one, probably out of the old material, was erected, and, with some additions and changes, was used until the Mechanics Bank building was bought in 1903. The first jail was a peculiar institution, being built somewhat like an "ice house" with a double wall of logs with a space between filled with loose perpendicular logs, so that if a piece were sawed out of one of them, the section above would fall down and occupy the space. One of the first jailers was named McGowan who also was a contractor and kept the streets in order, some of his workmen also acting as guardians of the county jail. McGowan built a number of the earlyday houses and buildings in Warsaw as well as his own house located near the Main Street.
In 1869 the county purchased and opened a poor farm. This was about three and one-half miles from Warsaw, on the Springfield road. It was experimented upon a few years, and the plan abandoned and the farm sold. There was a county Poor Farm again in the early part of this century northeast of Warsaw on the "old military" or Poplar road across from the Herman Bowers place in the Feaster neighborhood. Operated by Mrs. Hulda Jane 9'Neil it shut down in the 1930's. Mrs. O'Neil, who died in 1942, is buried in the Feaster Cemetery where her husband also is buried.
BENTON COUNTY "FIRSTS"
1. First recorded white explorers: Claude DuTisne and Philip Renault, fur trader and lead miner.
2. First Postmaster in County: Markham Fristoe 1837
3. First Warsaw Postmaster: Adamson Cornwall
4. First Anglo-Sexon Settler: Ezekiel Williams
5. First Osage River Ferry: Lewis Bledsoe in 1820's on old Military road near Kaysinger Bluff at Diceville
6. First Warsaw Ferry: On Jefferson-Springfield road run by W. J. Fristoe
7. Arminda Cornwall was first white child (born March 25 1839) in Benton County. She was the daughter of Adamson Cornwall and wife of Albert Kinkead
8. First Term/ Circuit Court: In 1834 by Judge Chas, "Horse" Allen In log house of Markham Fristoe near present site of Warsaw
9. First Convert: A Baptist immersed by 80-year-old Rev. Robert Frtstoe,
10. First Court House: 20x30 ft. log at Van Buren & Washington Sts., Warsaw where county jail now stands.
11. First Census Taker: John Graham. Sr., paid $32 Population 1672
12. First white residents John Hogle and -- Pensinoe at Hogle's Trading Post Hogle's Creek--Indian Trading Post prior to 1830's.
FIRST COUNTY OFFICIALS
Thomas J. Bishop, first Benton County Clerk, on Jan. 1, 1841, certified to the Missouri Secretary of State, this first listing of county officials since the county was formed: An Abstract of Civil Officers within the County of Benton from February 17, 1835 to May 1st, 1839 and to Jan. 1st, 1841. Joseph C. Montgomery, Justice of County Court, appointed in 1835, expired August 1836. Re-appointed for four years August 1836.
John W. Lindsey, same; William White, Same.
Markham Fristoe, sheriff, appointed and commissioned Jan. 10, 1835; term expired Aug., elected 1836 Two Years by Governor.
Hugh C. Donaghe, assessor, appointed Feb. 17, 1835 for one year by County Court.
S. A. Howser, collector, appointed Feb. 17, 1835, term set to Jan. 1, 1836 by County Court.
John Holloway, treasurer, Feb. 18, 1835, by County Court.
Thomas J. Bishop, Clerk of County Court, appointed and commissioned July 16, 1835, term set by Governor expired Jan. 1, 1836.
S. A. Howser, Collector, appointed and commissioned Feb. 3, 1836 by County Court. Resigned Jan. 1, 1837. Filled vacancy on County Court from March 3, 1840 to Sept. 1, 1840.
James W. Smith, assessor, appointed and commissioned by County Court Feb. 7, 1837; resigned Jan. 1, 1839.
A. Cornwall, sheriff, August 1836 elected for 2 years.
Thomas J. Bishop, clerk of County and Circuit Court, August 1836 elected 6 years, "in now".
James W. Smith, sheriff, August 1838, elected for 2 years, expired August 1840. He-elected August 3, 1840 for 2 years term.
George Alexander, Elijah Cherry, Nathan Huff, Justices of County Court, elected August 3, 1840 and commissioned Sept. 1, 1840.
S. H. Whipple, treasurer, appointed Sept. 1, 1840 and served until July 31, 1840.
Jas, A. Brown, treasurer, appointed July 31, 1840.
Justices of Peace serving at some time during the period and shown on Bishop's certification to the Secretary of State:
Justices of Peace: J. F. Royston and John H. Howard (Feb. 17, 1835), A Cornwall, F. Fewel and S. A. Howser, Levi Odneal, James G. Norton, James Browder, Lewis Riddle, Thos. Dillon, Hugh C. Donagne, .Jas, Q. Carrico, Wm, C. Hart, Jas, M. Wisdom, S. Norton, Thos. H. Alexander, C. Elmore, William Thurston, DeWitt C. Ballou, F. G. Lindsey, Jeptha Culbertson, Harvey Ford, Alex Breshears, Henry Bollinger, J. A. Clark, Steward Condren, Henry Dawson, Jonas Dawson, Henry G. Elbert, Wm. F. Eggleston, R. R.Fewel, John Graham, William Green, J. Heath, A. G. Maxwell, John Moore, Jas, Mindaugh, John McEwen, Sampson Norton, Hosea Powers, W. D. Pinkston, George W. Rives, William Russell, M. Tyree, H. K. Turk.
STATE OF MISSOURI, County of Benton,
I, Thos. J. Bishop, Clerk of the County Court, of the aforesaid County do hereby certify that the above is as correct a list as I can make of Civil Officers that are now and have been in commission within the county of Benton since the 17 day of Feb. 1835. IN TESTIMONY WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand and the seal of said Court, this 6 day of Feb. 1841. Thos. J. Bishop-o-Clerk, Owing to the loss by fire of the Records & papers appertaining to my office. *** The list of Justices of Peace give a fair county-wide representative of the prominent settlers in each township. Other officials mostly were men who lived in Warsaw or who were served by river traffic which drew them to Warsaw frequently. The notation by County-Clerk Bishop referring to fire destroying his records concerned a blaze early in 1839 which destroyed the Adamson Cornwall store. This first building to be built in Warsaw was located on the southeast corner of Main and Van Buren Sts, where the Freeman Hardware brick structure now stands. In the back room of the Cornwall Store the County Clerk's office was maintained for some time and a large part of the records were destroyed in the blaze mentioned by Mr. Bishop.
EARLY DAY POLITICS
Benton County since the Civil War has been a Republican County, only a scattering of Democratic candidates ever being successful in a bid for office. But until 1861, the Democrats had full sway. Andrew Jackson was President of the United States when the settlers first came here. The first President with the common touch, he had a strong appeal to_the homestead-hungry pioneers. A great exception was in 1936 when Franklin D. Roosevelt swept the county and all Republican candidates were defeated excepting Frank M. Brady, prosecuting attorney When William Henry "Tippecanoe" Harrison of Indian War fame ran for the presidency in 1840, there were great outpourtngs orvoters and in Benton County it was no different. Many settlers had served under Harrison in the Indian Wars--they liked him. Another hot campaign was waged in 1844 when Senator Tom Benton was striving to push anti-slavery legislation to keep new states "free". The anti -Benton men in Benton Countyformed their ownparty and during one rally, Warsaw saw hundreds in a parade, coming to town on horses, mules and even oxen as well as "shanks" mare". Although the United State senators were not directly elected by popular vote at this time the displeasure of the populace was reflected at Jefferson City and Benton was not re-elected. His continuing popularity as a speaker was powerful. however. for when"he ran for governor of Missouri in 1856. he spoke at Warsaw before a crowd of over a thousand people. on July 4. April 26, 1882 The courthouse, recently purchased by Waldo P. Johnson, is fast disappearing and the question of replacing the old building with a fine new edifice is being lively agitated. General feeling is in favor of a large and first-class building, such a one as will be an honor to the city and county. May 3, 1882 Mr. Waldo P. Johnson will very likely fall short on his investment in the condemned court house. For the building, he paid $275 and the cost of tearing it down will amount to $40n at least, and for moving it out of the way, he will pay not less than $100. This is $775 for nothing more than a large pile of broken brick and boards of 42 years standing. August 12, 1882 Evidently Waldo P. Johnson doesn't understand the English language. We'll give it to him different some day. In the meantime, we'll watch his rubbish, remains of the old courthouse, being delivered nowhere.
1882 POLITICAL CONVENTIONS IN COUNTY
The National Greenback County Convention was held at Warsaw on Thursday, the 31st. of August, 1882, when the following ticket was placed in nomination, each member standing firmly on the principles of the Harper "Call to Action," as follows:
1. To destroy sectional strife
2. To pay promptly the public bonded debt
3. To reduce the taxes and expenditures
4. To establish the unlimited coinage of gold and silver
5. To substitute government legal tender paper for bank issues
6. To overthrow corruption at the polls and on representative bodies
7. To secure a free ballot and a fair count
8. To control by law, and bring into subjection to the interest of the people, all corporations and monopolies which have corrupted the public service and by combination and extortion have established absolute dominion over money, over transportation, over invention and over land and labor
For Representative, S. C. Stratton
For Collector, Henry Grother
For County Clerk, Wm. R. Neil
For Circuit Clerk, W. H. Stratton
For Sheriff, R. S. Moxly
For Probate Judge, S. C. Weaver
For Treasurer, A. J. Osborn
For Assessor, N. B. Langford
For Public Administrator, A. C. Douglass
For Presiding Judge, J. A. Hughes
For 1st District Judge, R. C. Dalton
For 2nd District Judge, Barth Cordel
No nominations were made for the offices of Prosecuting Attorney and Coroner. The thanks of the convention were tendered to Messrs. Campbell and Patten for the use of their office, to the Warsaw band for excellent music furnished, to Dr. S. K. Crawford for the use or this church and to the publishers of the Warsaw Times and the Missouri Enterprise for their kindness shown in the publishing the call for the convention.
W. H. Stratton, Secy
1882 VOTE ON REMOVING COUNTY SEAT TO LINCOLN
East Lindsey, 37 for, 268 against
West Lindsey, 44 for, 29 against
Tom, none for, 117 against
West Cole, 28 for, 45 against
Fristoe, none for, 206 against
South Union, 2 for, 100 against
North Union, 3 for, 80 against
Alexander, 1 for, 261 against
East Cole, 14 for, 25 against
East White, 193 for, 47 against
West White, 207 for, 3 against
Williams, 238 for, 44 against
The Democratic County Convention met at the Christian Church in Warsaw Saturday, September 16, 1882.
Full delegation present from all the townships.
Called to order by James H. Lay, chairman of the County Central Committee, who nominated William H. Hughes of West White township for temporary chairman; R. W. Richardson of Lindsey as temporary secretary.
Committee on credentials: Jno. Fowler of East White; J. W. Baker of West White; Jas, A. Clark of East Lindsey.
Committee on permanent organization: Dr. E. L. Hall of Cole; E. Fristoe of Alexander; Thos. Parks of West White.
Report of committee on credentials adopted. Wm, H. Hughes made permanent chairman; R. W. Richardson, sec'y,
The following order 01 [ousmess?] adopted:
Motion prevailed to vote by ballot. Jas, A. Clark and Thos, Parks appointed tellers. R. W. Richardson nominated Jas, H. Lay for Representative. James Clark nominated Dr. J. Meng, Jas, H. Lay nominated by a vote of 39 to 6. Whole number of votes cast, 45.
Ballot of Eli T. Rhea and James M. Hooper: Rhea, 43; Hooper, 2.
Eli Rhea nominated for Circuit Clerk.
Dee Reese nominated by acclamation for County Clerk.
For Sheriff: Wilburn Joplin, 11; Hez. Parker, 29; Geo. Hooper, 5.
Hez, Parker of Alexander township nominated.
For Prosecuting Attorney: Jas, Jones, 26, R. W. Campbell, 9.
Henry Grother was nominated by acclamation for Collector.
H. T. Patten was nominated by acclamation for Probate Judge.
H. W. Fristoe was nominated by acclamation for Treasurer.
The following nominations for Assessor were made: H. M. Pyle, Jas. Hunt, Wm. Mitchner and J. W. Alexander.
First Ballot-s-Pyle, 6; Hunt, 8; Mitchner, 12; Alexander, 19.
Second Ballot-s-Pyle, 4; Hunt, 6; Mitchner, 16; Alexander, 21. Third Ballot-s-Pyle, 0; Hunt, 4; Mitchner, 16; Alexander, 25. Jno, W. Alexander nominated.
For Presiding Judge: Jno, Sampson, 23; J. L. Shaver, 22.
For South Side Judge: Sam'l Davis, 11; Felix L. Feaster, 7.
For North Side Judge: Levi Vincent, 20; B. Cordes, 7.
For Public Administrator: A. M. McIntire, 17; Jas, M. Hooper, 28.
Dr. E. L. Hall was nominated by acclamation for Coroner,
Thanks of convention to members of the Christian Church for use of same; also to Warsaw Cornet Band for excellent music furnished.
BOSS CRAWFORD AGAIN VICTORIOUS!
The Rads Fix a Full Ticket!
South Side Gets One Man-North Side Only Gets Twelve!
The Republican County Convention met Saturday last at 2 o'clock p.m, at Dr. Crawford's church. Full delegations were present from each township.The convention was called to order by Hon, S. W. Smith, chairman of the Central Committee, who welcomed them as Mayor of the city and delivered a speech full of good advice, which was a waste of words as the thing was all "cut and dried" by ex-Democrat Melton and the Drug Store Ring. Hon, Andy C. Cockburn, formerly of Scotland, now of White township, was called as permanent chairman and in regular "Tam O'Chanter" style delivered a wonderful speech, advising harmony in their actions and good judgment in selecting a ticket.
F. M. Osborn and Dr. Kiefer were appointed secretaries. All the candidates were brought before the Convention and pledged to support the ticket. This was done for George Campbell's benefit. The convention then proceeded to nominate a candidate for Representative. Squire Holloway named George W. Campbell of White township. John Reno presented the name of S. K. Crawford of Warsaw. The result was Crawford 25, Campbell 22.
Then came the following nominations by acclamation:
D. W. Spicer, circuit clerk; A. S. McGowan, county clerk; P. D. Hastain, prosecuting attorney; N. B. Petts, collector; Marcellus Jeans, sheriff; W. J. Huse, probate judge.
The vote between T. C. Chapman and W. B. Ham, for the office of treasurer, resulted the same as between Campbell and Crawford;22 to 25. George Campbell was nominated, after considerable wrangling, for presiding judge, over F. M. White and Judge Hart, but George very gracefully and manfully declined and the next ballot--with Campbell out--resulted: Hart 38, White, 9. Reno again got in the unanimous. This proved to be the only candidate the South Side got and it was secondhanded, for the next ballot laid Phil Parker on the shelf by a NorthSider--Fred Kullman. Phil was consoled by the nomination for Public Administrator, which he declined on the ground that the office and himself were not suited to each other. Clark J. Sneathen was nominated in his place. Dr. Kirby of Mt, View was nominated for Coroner, but Reno said he was a Greenbacker and not a fit man for a Republican Convention to nominate. He was "set down on" and Wm. Shuman, the Cole Camp blacksmith, put in his place. The lst district named T J. Liams for county court judge. 2nd district, Peter Holsten. The Convention paid no attention to Filley's "No Convention Committee" but elected Spencer, Hamilton, Kiefer and Campbell as delegates to Burch's Convention at Jefferson City on the 20th ist, Cosgrove, Melton, Moore and Failer were selected as Congressional delegates. Capt. S. W. Smith was made Chairman of County Committee-at large; James Spencer, secretary and the Convention adjourned. The ticket is generally considered a weak one. Many Republicans openly declare they will not support it. Warsaw gets 7 nominations. North side 12. South, one, by a scratch.
Benton County was, that year, holding its Democratic primary earlier than a number of other counties. Local Democratic leaders wanted to get the governor's nomination, a controversial issue, out of the way as soon as possible and it had been understood that nei1her candidate would visit Benton County. Democratic leaders here wanted a quiet primary. But--it didn't happen that way.
Gov. Morehouse, who filled Gov. Marmaduke's unexpired term, was a shrewd old campaigner and knew the rural ways of politics from A to Z. Unheralded, he came into the county wi1h a staff of friends, like a triumphant army with banners, by way of Windsor, and seemed to gather crowds at crossroads on a few hours notice. Mr. Francis, then quite a stripling, was telegraphed for. T. B. White of the Enterprise, met him in Sedalia, and on the way down, asked Ben Blythe to hold the train at Lincoln. Such youthful Democrats as Sam Orr, Fred Brill, Dr. Rhodes and others were lively in showing the candidate about town. Francis arrived in 1he county about the same time as Gov. Morehouse got in overland and there was quite a hubub over having a governor of Missouri and a mayor of St. Louis in the old town at the same time. Each traveled with a large number of enthusiastic friends. Both stayed in the county several days until the day before election, each making a number of speeches and drawing crowds. The G.O.p. enjoyed the tug of war that comes when "Greek meets Greek." Francis won by a substantial majority. Francis was Governor, Sec. of the Interior and "Manager of the greatest of World's Fairs", old Enterprise files relate.
1888 DEMOCRATIC CLUB
A number of Democrats met at the courthouse in May 1888 and organized a club. All Democrats intending to assist in President Cleveland's re-election were invited to become members
Officers elected were: president, Dr. J. S. Wilson vice-presidents
B. R. Lingle, R. A. Stephens; secretary, W. F.Wright treasurer J. R. Phillips; executive committee, J. F. Ryan, G. H. Drake, Robert Beatty, W. Y. Wilson, L. Crawford, Dr. S. O. Davis.
Committee on constitution and by-laws- ?r. B. Wheeler, S. S. Drake, J. W. Bagby.
1888 REPUBLICAN CLUB
A young Men's Republic Club for Warsaw and Benton County was organized in May, 1888, with the election of Fred H. Smith, president; Fred H. Petts, secretary, and Charles Bibb, treasurer. The group decided to meet every other Saturday at 3 p.m, Reported The Enterprise; "Such well-known ____? juveniles as Dr. Crawford, T. C. Chapman, Wm, Woods, N. B. Petts, P, D. Hastain, H. Boeschen, A. S. McGowan, G. W. Campbell, etc., laid aside their youthful bashfulness and took part in the proceedings. They threw out seductive invitations. to some ____? Democratic juveniles, who had, followed the band Into the courtroom, to join but they invariably answered "nope!"
1890 CENSUS BY TOWNSHIP
Lindsey township shows a decrease of 191, although Warsaw which is included, increased 187, from 515 in 1880 to 702 in 1890.
January 8, 1885
W. J. Huse was Qualified as county treasurer January 1 for a term of two years, with the following individuals as bondsmen to the amount of $60: George Gallagher, James H. Lay, A. N. Bush, L. S. Naftzger, S. K. Crawford, H. A. Tompkins, Henry Mahnken, A. B. Keiffer, Joseph Schwald, G. S. Keiffer, T. M. Berry, A. J. Huse, John P. Ficken, William Nickle, G. Huse, John W. Payton, Alonso Rouse, M. D. Moore, Jr., M. D. Moore, Sr., J. M. Hunter, Samuel Henry, John Henry, R. H. Melton, Geo. W. Campbell, A. C. COCkburn, Dale Pierce, Charles Harvey, Samuel Orr and William Schwettman. The county court has granted a dram-shop license to A. J. Harris and Wm, H. Howard to be used at Fairfield.
Our courthouse square is being enclosed by a substantial fence--no iron fancy fixing or frail imported pine--but made of the native oak, "pig tight, horse high and bull strong." Dee Reese, county clerk, reports that the county paid out, in the year of 1884, $2,223.50 for the care of paupers and insane persons.
April 17, 1885
John A. Baldwin, the well-known ex-surveyor of Benton County, was in attendance at circuit court this week. Mr. Baldwin has been in Benton County for 45 years and he remarked to us that of the population of Warsaw at that time only James Donald and J. G. Phillips remain. The older a county grows the more interesting is its early history, and that of Benton County has been a varied one.
May 1, 1885
Deputy Sheriff Bibb is superintending the building of a fence to enclose the whole of the courthouse yard, extending from the public well to the west boundary of Commercial Street, opposite the residence of Samuel Eyerly. The unsightly mass of brick and timber, which has given the city an undeserved delapidated appearance, since the old courthouse was torn down, has been removed, and the property will be put in a respectable condition at a light expense.
MEMORIAL SERVICES FOR PRESIDENT GRANT
Memorial services for President Grant were held in Warsaw on August 8, 1885. Bells of the various churches started tolling at 1:30 p.m., continuing until 2 o'clock, the hour of service. All members of the Grand Army of the Republic and other old soldiers were requested to take part, trimming their badges with mourning emblems. The Missouri Enterprise carried the following story on the event: Last Saturday, the day appointed for the funeral services of the late General Grant, was made the occasion of demonstrations of a character to show respect for the dead. The flags floated at half-mast and a number were trimmed with mourning emblems. Business houses and private residences were trimmed in black and but little business was transacted. Shortly before 2 o'clock, there was an old soldiers' meeting at the Masonic hall, from which the veterans, with mourning badge decorations, marched to the Baptist Church, which had been handsomely decorated by the ladies, for the purpose of hearing the funeral services. The church was filled to overflowing, with people from town and country, quite a number being present from Lincoln and Fairfield, the recently organized "U. S. Grant" Post, G. A. R., of Lincoln, being largely represented.
In the absence of Rev. Sparks, Judge Smith offered the prayer and the Rev. T. C. Chapman preacheda brief sermon from I Corinthians IV. chapter and 55 verse: 0 death, where is thy sting; 0, grave where is thy victory. The sermon dealt entirely with the moral and religious character of Gen. Grant and the moral lessons to be drawn there from. It was an able and interesting discourse and was listened to with marked attention. Dr. Crawford then delivered the oration on the life and services of General Grant. It was prepared with care, the language was well-chosen and expressive and delivered distinctively and deliberately and was listened to attentively by the large audience, notwithstanding the excessive heat. The oration was entirely eulogistic, and with the sermon demonstrated that both speakers were sincere admirers of Grant. The following ladies furnished the music for the occasion, which was appropriately selected and well-rendered: Mrs. Blythe, organist: Mrs. Wisdom, Mrs. Naftzger, Mrs. Chas, T. Clark, Mrs. Anna O'Neil Mrs. Lingle and Miss Myra Melton. The memorial committee request us to express their warmest thanks to the ladies of Warsaw for their kindness in decorating the Baptist Church and for the beautiful and appropriate music furnished by them for the memorial service.
June 1, 1888
A number of Warsaw youngsters are wearing Cleveland hats. The hats are of light weight, neat and cheap and are calculated to keep the brain cool and in a reflective mood.
June 15, 1888
All day Saturday, the Democratic ladies of Warsaw were engaged in decorating the hall for the Cleveland-Thurman ratification rally at the courthouse. Staging included flags, wreaths and portraits of Cleveland and Thurman, which made the hall a scene of beauty. At four 0' clock in the afternoon, the artillery (anvils) thundered forth a salute that re-echoed over the hills and prairies, and its meaning was well-understood by thousands -- that the Democracy were jubilant over the selection of their standard bearers. After music by the Warsaw Orchestra, Dr. J. S. Wilson, the club president, introduced J. H. Lay, and old lawyer as he is, and used to speaking impromptu to audiences of men only, he was evidently much abashed at the brilliant array of ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls that were before him. But he recovered sufficiently to do himself credit and he will be in demand during the campaign.
From The Enterprise, Friday, June 22, 1888
RAMPANT DEMOCRACY - A Cyclone of Candidates and Workers - Gov. Morehouse Opened the Battle at Ionia on Tuesday - He Seizes Cole Camp, Lincoln, Warsaw, Palo Pinto And Fairfield
His Workers Appear in All Precincts
The Governor Shows the Farmers How He "Uster" Work In Nodaway County
And Wipes The Sweat from the Brow in the Harvest Field The Ladies Praised, Babies Kissed, Buttermilk Quaffed The Francis Men Scared Out of Their Boots
Mayor Francis Arrives at Warsaw Friday Afternoon He Drives 60 Miles, Makes Four Speeches and, In 24 Hours, Snatches Victory from the Jaws of Defeat!
A well-Fought But Good-Natured Contest
On Monday of last week, the people of Benton County were in that condition of rural quiet that would have been happiness, but for the knowledge that the chintz-bugs were at work and that rain was badly needed. There was no expectation of domestic turmoil or foreign invasion. No visitors of any kind were expected, unless from those who know the superior quality of our medicinal springs or others who want the longest railroad ride, in time, for the least money, of any road in the State. Suddenly, without any knowledge to his friends in Benton County, Governor Morehouse, accompanied by Col. Pace of Butler, and David Roach of Camden, appeared at Ionia City, just over the border in Pettis, and was announced for a speech, which was listened to, with good effect, by a number of farmers. Col. Pace is an experienced politician, welladapted to reach theheartoftheprairiefarmer. Mr. Roach is a Camden County man, whose native skill has been quickened by holding a State office at Jefferson City. He is adapted to the politics of what is called the "Brush" counties and knows perfectly well, that when no houses are in sight, from the main road, that to go over a hill, and up a hollow and through a neck of woods will bring him to one.
Tuesday, the cavalcade reached Cole Camp. Their approach had been heralded and the population turned out with music to hear the governor and were highly pleased with his speech and good looks. Wednesday, they appeared at Lincoln and the governor again spoke and the hosts of Francis men disappeared like the morning dew. Wednesday evening, the governor and workers came like a conquering army to the county seat. Men, women and children turned out with the Warsaw Silver Band, to greet him, and the courthouse was densely packed to hear his speech, which was admitted to be a good one by everybody. Thursday, he spoke at Grange Hall, near Palo Pinto, and he seemed to number amorig his supporters the entire population, the Republicans themselves taking sides for him. The governor saw a great many people traveling about.
Friday afternoon, the governor spoke at Fairfield, in company with his competitor. The governor returned to Warsaw Friday, attended the Francis meeting in the evening and, having made a canvass entirely satisfactory, was anxious to leave the county at once, but was obliged to stay until the departure of the train at 2 p.m, on Saturday. He was visited by many citizens and was found to be jovial, with a knack of making friends easily and he had plenty of leisure to do so. He departed with the assurance that he would carry the county beyond peradventure. His workers from abroad were reinforced on Thursday by John H. Davidson of Wheatland, who was an old-time and competent clerk in the office of the State Board of Equalization. Mr. Davidson is well-acquainted in the southern part of the county and was a valuable ally. The regular workers called to their aid a number of influential local workers who had all the well-nigh irresistible zeal of new recruits. The principal cause for the activity of Governor Morehouse's friends was the charge made against Mayor Francis that his business life as grain dealer had been against the interests of the farmers. While we are certain that this charge cannot be sustained, yet it had its effect and it rallied to the governor's standard as good a class of citizens as any candidate could ever boast of.
On Thursday, the Warsaw friends of Mayor Francis concluded to send for their favorite. They were reluctant to do so, because they knew that during the week previous, he had performed arduous duties as mayor, citizen and candidate in caring for the great throng of delegates and people attending the Democratic national convention. Since then, he had been very busy in his duties as mayor and also was prohibited by his physician from public speaking until he had thoroughly rested.
Friday, at one p.m., he arrived at Warsaw, having on his trip down from Sedalia learned enough to know that public sentiment was pretty solid for Morehouse. At Lincoln, in company with the editor of the Enterprise (Thomas Benton White) and Mr. Lingle, of the Clinton Democrat, he made a hasty call around the town in a carriage and such veteran Democrats as Dr. Rhodes and Sam Orr said that Morehouse had reversed White township, although they had a faint hope that something could be done. The fact is, the whole county was as a army, utterly 'routed, horse, foot and dragoons, and had there been any plunder, the Morehouse forces would have been fighting over its division. Friday afternoon, after a hasty dinner, Francis was driven to Fairfield, where he addressed a crowd after the governor. The meeting had been advertised for both speakers.
Friday night, Mr. Francis spoke in Warsaw to a full courtroom. That night, the plan of the next day's battle was made and local workers were sent to the several precincts. Saturday morning, Mr. Francis was driven to Lincoln, where he made a speech at 10 a.m, The vote at the close was Francis, 54, Morehouse, 33. He arrived at Fort Lyon at 2 p.m. The vote cast at that time was Morehouse, 25, Francis, 10. The polls were closed and Francis spoke from a wagonin the sun for over an hour and his speech appeared to be very satisfactory to the farmers. Voting was resumed and the result of the poll was 47 for Francis and 38 for Morehouse. Mr. Francis went to Windsor and, in the morning, was home in St. Louis.
Mr. Francis is a plain and dignified public speaker. He attempts no flight of oratory. His success is owing to his ability to convince his hearers that he is a sincere and straightforward businessman. The county was for him overwhelmingly. They had read of hi~ success ~n the intricate duties of mayor of a great city; they were delighted at hIS efforts to get President Cleveland to visit St. Louis, and in getting the National Democratic Convention for that city. When he appeared In the county, many of his former friends, who had become lukewarm, if not hostile, returned to their first choice. Gov. Morehouse, who is a popular man, pleased our people and his partisans did effective work in his behalf. Their canvass was admirably planned. Anticipating that no tickets issued by the county committee would be distributed until the morning of election, they brought tickets with them, printed according to regulations, with the blank for governor written in and they were distributed in the pilgrimage through the county. That they did not notify any Morehouse men of their coming was probably because they did not intend to take any chance on their surprise being complete. They evidently intended to drive the Francis men into their "holes" so badly scared that they would stay there, which they almost succeeded in doing. And while the Francis men can quote the lines--
"Glover's the man from Bitter Creek, Morehouse is dull and tame Francis is neither bitter nor dull But he gets there, just the same." --
--a little change would have made the reversal of names necessary. Both candidates expressed their gratification at the manner of their reception throughout the county. They talked the Democratic faith in no doubtful tones and the Democracy are proud of them. Should either be nominated, they will receive the full vote of their party friends and also the support of some Republicans. Democracy at best!
Returns of Saturday's Primary
Francis -- 348 Morehouse -- 280 68 Majority for Francis
Francis carried Alexander, North Fristoe, South Fristoe, West Lindsey, Tom, South Union, East White, West White. In East Lindsay, Morehouse carried, 65 votes, to 64 for Francis. Francis also carried Missouri in the primary, and in the November general election. From The Enterprise July 6, 1888
REPUBLICAN COUNTY CONVENTION
Delegates to the Republican County Convention, who were chosen June 30, assembled in caucus Monday, July 2, where the nominations, except for assessor and district judge, were decided Dr. Keiffer of Cole Camp was president and Prof. Biddle, of Cole Camp, secretary and Alex Harrison, Warsaw, assistant secretary. On motion, Dr. S. K. Crawford was unanimously nominated for member of the legislature. The' name of N. B. Petts was withdrawn for collector and, on motion, G. S. Keiffer of Cole Camp was unanimously nominated for collector. Judge Hart nominated John W. Payton for sheriff and said he was a good man and a good officer. Mr. Bybee of North Union nominated Daniel Freund, Williams, and said thathewasjustas good a man as Payton and he believed in a change. Ballot resulted in Payton, 49, Freund, 10. Nomination made unanimous. Judge Hart nominated T. C. Chapman for prosecuting attorney. The chair called on the committee, appointed to caucas to wait on Mr. Chapman, to see whether he would accept a nomination. Judge Hart said that Mr. Chapman would accept it, the nomination was unanimously made. Mr. Bybee objected to the nomination. He said it was like a fox sneaking into a hen-roost at night. Mr. Chapman had not been a candidate while another gentleman had. If nominated in that way, he would be beat, Mr. Bybee said. At this point, G. S. Walls, who had made a canvass for the office, addressed the convention. He said the majority of the delegates preferred Chapman, so Chapman was his preference and asked his friends to support the majority. On motion, Mr. Chapman was nominated, Mr. Bybee voting against him. A. H. Hackett was nominated unanimously for treasurer. Judge Hart nominated L. B. Thomas of South Union for assessor. S. Ferguson nominated Mr. Mayfield of West White. He said their precinct had not had a representation onthe county ticket for nine years, that Union now had a majority on the county court. T. J. Mitchner supported Thomas and withdrew in his favor. Enoch Moxley nominated W. F. Hunter of West Lindsey. Fred Dickman nominated John Jaegels, and said it was important to have an assessor that could speak German. Judge Hart said the assessor could have a German deputy. Van Carrico favored Jaegels, Said that the German population was so large that it should have a candidate for the office. August Jaegels was also put in nomination. Jonathan Autrieth nominated Ira Gill. Hy Holstein also thought that a man that understood German should be the candidate and said he thought any other would be beat. The chair said that the friends of Mr. Jaegels would not bolt if he was not nominated. They thought that he was the strongest man for the place. Mr. Thomas was nominated on the fourth ballot. Whit Cherrington was unanimously nominated for surveyor; Dr. Sands for coroner and Ira Gill for public administrator. For county judge, first district, B. S. Liams of Alexander, was nominated over W. W. Hockman and Capt. W. W. Downing. For county judge, second district, Fred Kullman was nominated by a vote of 25 to 15 for Sam Ferguson of West White. Speeches were made by Messrs. Crawford, Hastain, Walls and Chapman and after cheers for the various candidates, the convention adjourned. Dr. S. K. Crawford left today for Chicago, where he is delegate to the Republican National Convention. Capt. E. A. Richardson, who attended the Democratic National Convention in St. Louis, returned home Tuesday, much pleased with the nomination.
BENTON COUNTY DEMOCRATIC CONVENTION, AT WARSAW, JUNE 22, 1888
The convention was called to order by T. B. Wheeler, chairman of the Democratic County Committee, who was elected temporary chairman, and F. E. McLane, secretary. The chairman named J. A. Clark, Dr. E. L. Rhodes, Louis Grother, Smith Bailey and J. B. Gorrell, a committee on credentials. Thos. F. Parks and John Fowler were named the committee on order of business. On motion, the convention elected John B. Gorrell permanent chairman and Mr. McLane secretary. Result of the Democratic primary on June 16 was announced, giving D. R. Francis, candidate for governor, a majority of 68, and John T. Heard, candidate for representative in Congress, a majority of 600. J. S. Wilson, John H, Alexander and Samuel Orr were elected delegates to the Democratic State Convention. George Drake, John Hackler and Louis Grother were elected alternates. J. P. Grissam, James Coo, R. W. Warren, J. B. Gorrell and J. T. Eoff were elected delegates to the congressional convention. S. W. Davis, C. B. Phillips, Dr. Rhodes, T. F. Parks and D. Jones were elected alternates. Capt. E. H. Richardson, who received the Democratic nomination for State Senator, returned to Warsaw Saturday. An impromptu gathering of personal friends met him at the depot and preceded by the Warsaw Cornet band, escorted him to the Campbell house, where the captain responded in a neat little speech of thanks. Mr. Richardson need not worry any in the campaign as in 1886, there was a Democratic majority for supreme judge of 1700. There is every possibility for increase here. The convention met at Marshall and Capt. Richardson received the nomination on the 58th ballot. Governor Morehouse arrived in Lincoln last Wednesday and addressed the citizens at Steele Hall, then came to Warsaw.
From The Enterprise, Friday, August 10, 1888
A Great Demonstration At Fairfield
Democrats of the Southwest Astonish Themselves And Their Visitors
An Enthusiastic Crowd of About 2000
The extensive preparations of the Fairfield Democratic Club, for the mass meeting of last Saturday evening, August 4, was in anticipation of a great crowd and they were gratified at the success in numbers and enthusiasm. Nothing to compare with it has ever taken place on the south side, and it proves that the Democracy intend to make their numbers and influence felt.The village was lively with people all day, but toward evening it was fairly swarming. About 8 p.m., the Fairfield Club, with torchlights, lanterns and banners, to the number of about 20a, formed and marched to the north of town, to unite with the visiting delegations. Soon the inspiring strains of the Warsaw cornet band were heard, in their elegant bandwagon with four horses, and' quickly as possible, the procession was formed. The Lincoln Red Caps were first, followed by a great number of horsemen, then the Warsaw Club on horseback and carriages, with the Fairfield club and Tom and Alexander township folks bringing up the rear, the whole making an array of brilliancy which was a delight to the great crowd of people, who were enthusiastic in their welcome. After a march through the business and residence streets, the procession proceeded to the school house square, where there was a speaker's stand with a large number of seats for the audience. The Fairfield club, during the afternoon, had raised a splendid hickory pole, from which floated the national colors and a streamer on which were the names of the Democratic standard bearers, Cleveland and Thurman. After some time necessary in caring for the great number of horses,the exercises commenced at the stand, by a neat speech of welcome to visiting delegations by Prof. Jones, after which John R. Hackler,president of the Fairfield club, introduced, in turn, Messrs. Lay, Canady, Wheeler and Richardson, whose speeches interested the audience until after eleven o'clock. This was the first appearance of Mr. Canady south of the river and his speech indicated a well-informed mind. The other speakers acquitted themselves with their usual ability. The crowd was in the best possible humor and dispersed in increased confidence that the Democratic party was battling for the interests of the common people against monopoly and aristocracy.
-- Notes --
The crowd was estimated at 2000.
Uncle Charley Crawford, the 100-year-old veteran, was at the head of the procession on horseback, carrying the national flag.
The young folks of Alexander think the Democracy ought to have a big meeting about every two weeks. The Fairfield club boys, old and young, are confident of a largely increased Democratic vote. In addition to delegations from Lincoln, Warsaw and Tom township, there were representatives of clubs from Dell Delight, Mt, View and Fredonia, with not a few visitors from Hickory and St. Clair. Republicans joined the Democrats in expressions of gratification at the large and successful meeting and in praise of the good order of the people. If rains are often caused by loud noise, the glorious rain of Sunday morning and forenoon can be credited to the joyful shouts of the Democratic hosts at Fairfield, and like Cleveland's administration, it is a benefit to everybody. August 31, 1888 The barbecue given by the Republican clubs at Lincoln was a grand affair with about 7000 attending. But about 40 out of every 100 were Democrats. This is the largest crowd ever collected in Lincoln at one time. Ten beeves were killed and devoured before 1 p.m, There were 400 in the parade, with four bands. The float having a lady representing each state was drawn by ten gray horses and ten men. James Shull of Union Township superintended the roasting of the beeves, also the mutton, and deserves praise for still and good judgment by which thousands were fed. Warsaw's Republican Club, which has been drilling for over a month, makes a good display at their regular Saturday night meetings. The Democratic club, making extensive preparations for their October 9 rally, which ex-Governor Woodson will attend, had quite a turnout Tuesday night, although there were torches for only half of those in line. One hundred new torches arrived here Thursday, also forty for the Phelps club of Tom Township. The Warsaw club will probably order another hundred, so they can turn out nearly 300, including the magnificent flambeaus. Democrats of the county largely out number the Republicans, outside of Williams and Cole township.
October 7, 1888
The Lincoln flambeau club had a fine drill Saturday night, headed by the Glee Club in a fine wagon, made of the Old Hickory style and drawn by four fine horses. Thirty-five flambeau lamps were in line. The procession was well-conducted by Brig.-General J. B. Smith. After the parade over town, the Steele Hall was reached and a very able and eloquent speech was delivered by Hon, J. H. Lay of Warsaw. Thomas Benton White made a speech before the Fairfield Democratic Club Saturday. Several Republicans were present. The speech was replete with reason and Democratic doctrine. He also spoke at Dell Delight school house that night. October 12, 1888 Some rowdy, Tuesday night during the Democratic rally in Warsaw, threw a rotten egg which struck the Krenzky Hotel, in front of which were a crowd of ladies and gentlemen. No punishment would be too severe for such a wretch, could he be discovered. There will be a torchlight parade and speaking at Hockman on Wednesday evening. Democrats from the Turkey Creek, Fristoe, Warsaw and other clubs are invited to be present. Wheeler, Lingle and others will speak. There is an effort in Warsaw to induce all colored voters to join the Republican club, under a threat that if they do not join, their names will be published to the colored people all over the state. The colored voters should understand that they can no more be legally forced to join a white man's club than they can be forced to go to white schools or join white secret societies. And they cannot be led up and voted anymore for fear of razors, for their ballots will be secret.
Friday, October 12, 1888
THE RALLY LAST TUESDAY
The Largest Crowd Ever at Warsaw
The Ladies and Democratic Clubs in Uniform And On Horseback
Handsome Floats, Flags, Banners
Grandest Display Ever Seen In Benton County And6000
Or More People Enjoy Themselves
Grand Torchlight Procession and Brilliant
Display of Fireworks
The morning of the 9th gave some indications of a storm but the fore noon was ushered in bright and Warsaw was soon full of people from far and near to attend the grand rally. Whatever there was in lack ofarrangement was made up in good nature and enthusiasm, and many of the vast crowds that had come in, nearly a thousand wagons and buggies and a multitude on horseback, were soon after 10 0' clock arrayed into a moving column, with the Christian Church as a place of starting and the grove above the city as an objective point for the speaking and picnic dinner.
The procession was formed as follows:
1--Warsaw cornet band preceded by Chief Marshal Clark.
2--Part of the Lincoln club in uniform on horseback, followed by the uniformed clubs of Fairfield, Tom township, Fredonia, Fristoe, Warsaw and Democrats from all localities in the county to the number of several hundred.
3--Lincoln Glee Club in a handsome hickory-made float, with a magnificent large flag, banners, transparencies, etc., drawn by six horses. Two Warsaw floats, gorgeous with trimmings, flags, banners, with sixty or eighty girls and boys, in costumes, with mottoes, banners and floats. Float two from Lincoln was a hickory-framed wagon, loaded with old voters, with patriotic banners and trimmings.
4--A large number of ladies in red and bandana costumes, on horseback, from all parts of the county, making a beautiful and imposing display.
5--Citizens in carriages, wagons and on foot in great numbers, although a large portion were already at the grounds. The head of the procession moved along without delay and some idea of its great proportions will be understood when reliable authority states that the procession was 30 minutes in passing a given point. In addition, there were many who did not arrive until noon. The splendid West White Democratic Club, of a hundred horsemen in uniform and with their commissary, wagons and torchlights, did not arrive until about half an hour after the procession arrived at the ground. Most of them had come twenty-five miles, and with their large flag and magnificent silk banner on which was inserted the name of the club, surrounding a splendid picture of President Cleveland, would have entitled them to the front of the procession. On arriving at the grounds, there was a greeting song by the boys and girls of the Warsaw floats, which was nicely rendered and highly complimented. Then followed singing by the well-trained Lincoln Glee Club, of twentyfive or thirty voices. This club was one of the most pleasing features of the day. The ladies were in blue costumes, trimmed with white, with hats trimmed with red. May they live long to sing their happy songs for the people and they are remembered with gratitude. Hon, A. A. Leseur delivered the forenoon speech, which was listened to with attention and regarded as a very effective one. Then followed a plentiful picnic dinner, the most prominent feature of which was that nearly everybody wanted somebody else to help them to earn the necessaries and luxuries of life, whether they came under the schedule of high or low tax. The picnic dinner occupied the time until 2 o'clock and of the fragments left, there was a great abundance for supper. HOn. John F. Williams, candidate for elector-at-large, made the speech of the afternoon. It was an eloquent effort and was listened to with deep attention. Much disappointment was manifested on learning that Mayor Francis had not arrived on the noon train but it was dissipated by the announcement by Mr. Williams that the mayor had been detained at home by the arrival, the night previous, of a brand new boy, number six of the same kind. After music and singing by the Lincoln Glee Club, and a general interchange of regards between old and new friends, the meeting broke up, many going home, but a large number stayed for the street torchlight parade, and numbers joined them from the country, who had not been present for the day. Of course, the larger number provided themselves with supper, but the hotels and boarding houses were full and very many private houses were overflowing with visitors whom the ladies delighted to serve and hospitality was only bounded by want of capacity. There were over 60 torch lights for the evening's parade, which, with the brilliant display of fireworks, made a marching column that would have given great pleasure even where the opportunities for such scenes were greater.
The balloons and other ascending fireworks successfully launched, but the heavy atmosphere kept them from looking as brilliant as they otherwise would have done. Unbounded good.nature and enthusiasm prevailed during the day and evening. After the street torchlight parade and fireworks, the courthouse was densely packed to hear ex-Gov. Brockmyer. The distinguished gentleman was listened to with attention and delivered a speech that we believe would meet the approval of a large majority of the county. It was eloquent, clear, witty and argumentative and received with applause. After the speech, the majority proceeded home, the weather being warm and the threatened rain holding off till the next day. The rally was a great success, in numbers, display, good-feeling, and grand manifestation of devotion to the principles of Democracy, which were never more the cause of the people than at present.
November 15, 1889
Last Thursday and Friday Warsaw anvils caused the surrounding hills and valleys to reverberate with the tidings of the eastern and western Democratic victories.
THE F. AND L. CONVENTION
A convention of the Farmers and Laborers party of Benton County was
held at the courthouse July 5, 1890.
J. R. Carter, chairman of the county committee, presided, and named
L. J. Jennings of Palo Pinto chairman. John H. Trippe was elected secretary.
Candidates for election were chosen as follows:
State Representative--Charles Dundas of West White
Prosecuting Attorney--J.H. Lay (nomination later declined)
Circuit Clerk-s-James H. Savage
County Clerk-i-Wilson Stratton
County Collector--Robert Dalton
County Treasurer--John L. Holloway
Probate Judge--W. T. McCalin
Assessor--R. H. Berry
Presiding Judge--George W. Mowell
North Side Judge--J. M. Hunter (nomination later declined)
South Side Judge--Taylor Walker
* * *
The party, in 1890, had 34 "unions" in the County and sent 78 delegates to the July 25th quarterly meeting at Warsaw.
Limestone-S. M. Brown, J. M. Ray; Wiseman--W. H. Smith, J. T. Wayne; Pleasant Grove--B. B. Allison. J. A. Coe; Walnut Grove-s-L, B. Little, Lollis Bonnett, G. W. Smart.
Mt. View--C. K. Gist, Wm. B. Hill, Jas, W. Martin; Walker--E. T. Walker, Wm., Upton; Lincoln-i-L, S. Barrow, W. A. Hanes and E. A. Houser.
L. p. --W. W. Means, J. Ketchum; Prairie Valley-s-C. M. Davis, r. J. Breshears; Comer--Geo. W. Canady and J. M. Hudson. Allen--J. W. Payton, Ira Gill; Richwoods--Ezra Bethards, H. H. Smith, D. Jones; Fredonia--J. W. Thorp, L. W. Shaffer, W. H. Walthall. Lookout--A. D. Hughes, A. T. Riddle; Oak Grove-s-A, English, J. D. Morgan; Liberty--R. A. McBurney and John Henry; Palo Plnto-i-Geo. Gallagher, J. I. English, Chas. Dundas. North Prairie--John A. Barnett, L. F. Davis; Short-o-W, N. Short, J. Buckley; Antioch--C. N. Rice, W. p. Green. Osage-o-J, B. Purnell, E. B. Skaggs; Cole Camp--W.R.D. Mabry, J. H. Owens; Brush Creek--John Sampson, W. B. Sorrell, W. R. Neil, Shady Grove--F. A. Clark, Elliott Miller; Hogles Creek-i-H. Robinson, J. Grace, W. T. Harvey.
Hamilton-o-R, E. Freeman, E. T. Fritzinger; F'reedom-s-H, B. Wisdom, C. James, J. W. Capp, W. T. Love.
Ritter--Felix Chancellor, A. Eirl; Pleasant Hill--W. A. Grace, W. C. Johnson; Shawnee Bend--R. M. See, E. O. See, Union-s-Sam Fuller, Case Berry, Noah Bowers; W. F. Davis; McFarland--J. R. Winegardner; Weaver. Pleasant Green-Good
A paper was taken up asking views of this body on the matter of restraining all stock from running at large in the county but was unanimously voted down. A committee appointed at the April meeting, in the matter of certain milling interests at Fairfield, said they had entered into contract with Snyder Bros. for satisfactory milling rates.
Laws of Missouri, Vol. 2, Pages 427~428.
Land Grants of Missouri.
Charles Pancoast's "Quaker Forty-Niner". University of Pennsylvania Press, Philadelphia. 1930.
Jas. H. Lay's History of Benton County, Missouri.
A History of Missouri by Eugene Morrow Violette. Ramfre Press 1951.
Davis & Durrie "An illustrated History of Missouri". A. J. Hall & Co., St. Louis. 1876.
Mrs. Pauline Irvine, State Archivist, Office of Secretary of State
BACK -- HOME
© Copyright by Genealogy Trails