Welcome to
Boone County
Missouri


Biographies
" J "

JAMES T. JACKSON; James T. Jackson, dealer in hardware and farming implements Sturgeon, Missouri, was born in Madison County, Virginia, April 5th, 1850. His father, Thomas M. Jackson, was a native of Virginia. He came to this State in 1832. He was a tinner and worked at his trade until his health failed, when he returned to Virginia, taking his family with him. James remained in Virginia until he was nineteen years of age, when he returned to his native State, coming direct to Sturgeon, where he remained for a few months. He then went to Roanoke, Howard County, where he attended school one session. Returning to Sturgeon, he entered the High School, taught by Col. J. J. Searcy, remaining a student of this institution for two sessions. He then went to work for Dr. J. S. Lockridge and J. F. Rucker, on a brick-yard. The following winter he fed cattle for Dr. Lockridge. The summer following he made up a herd of cattle and grazed them on the prairie. Returning to Sturgeon he bought an interest in a drug store and commenced business with W. H. Goin. This was in 1871. April 30th, 1872, he was married to Miss M. F. Rucker, sister of Major John F. Rucker and daughter of John D. and Lucy J. (nee Linsley) Rucker. They have two children, Lloyd R. and Annie Cornelia. He is a member of the Knights of Honor and A. O. U. W. He also belongs to the M. E. Church South. He has held several offices under the city government of Sturgeon. He commenced the hardware business in 1874, and has been doing a growing business ever since. He is one of the substantial and reliable business men of Sturgeon.
{Source:  History of Boone County, Missouri; By Author Col. Wm. F. Switzler; Publ. 1882 by Western Historical Company; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack.}


E. D. JOHNSON. Is the son of Johnson and Mary (Turley) Johnson, and was born May 10th, 1826. He is a posthumous child, his father having died before he was born. His father settled in what is known as the Boone's Lick country, in Howard county, Missouri. After his father's death his mother came to Columbia, and, being poor, the older boys were "bound out," and an aunt took the only daughter. The subject of our notice was adopted by L. L. Pace, and reared upon the farm which Mr. Johnson now owns. He went to the country schools and what was then called Rockbridge Academy, and, later, he attended the University for three years. He has been a farmer all his life, and is one of Boone's well-to-do, staunch citizens. In 1849 he went with a party to New Mexico, when the Far West was the Eldorado of all the young, and many of the old men of the country. Shortly after leaving Missouri he took the cholera, and died, as his comrades thought. All preparations were made for his burial, when they discovered that their cattle had strayed off. So they postponed the obsequies until the wandering oxen had been found. Upon their return, great was their joy when they saw signs of life in the friend they were about to bury alive. By careful nursing he was restored to health, and continued his journey to New Mexico. He only stayed in the West a short time, when he set his face toward the rising sun, and came back to Missouri, the garden of America.
He was married to Miss Dorothy Ann Payne, daughter of James and Lois Payne, of this count}'. His wife died July 27th, 1865. He has three children, all living: Laura Alice, Spurgeon G. and John E. Miss Laura went several years to the University, and is a regular graduate, taking the full classical course. Mr. Johnson is a member of the Baptist church at Nashville, this county.
[Source: History of Boone County, Missouri; By Author Col. Wm. F. Switzler; Publ. 1882; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack]


JOSEPH WATERS JOHNSTON. John T. M. Johnston, father of Joseph, came from Kentucky to Boone county when a boy, and settled, with his parents, near Columbia, being among the pioneers of this county. His wife was Minerva Waters, and of this pair the subject of this sketch was born, August 29th, 1848. He first saw the light on his father's farm, and was the second son and third child of a family of four sons and four daughters, all but two of whom still reside in Boone County. He acquired his education in the neighborhood schools in the vicinity of his old home, in the Ashland school and in Jones' Commercial College of St. Louis. In the fall of 1866, he first engaged in business for himself, opening a general store in Ashland, which he conducted for three years. In 1869 he formed a partnership with A. G. Paine, and they did business till the fall of 1871. He then formed a partnership with J. G. Wiseman, which lasted till 1880. Mr. Johnston then became a member of the firm of Bass, Johnston, Brooks & Harris, with whom he is still in business at this writing, their business depot being known as the "Trade Centre." He is also a member of the Ashland Mill Company, and a director of the Farmers' Bank. In 1870, he built the Johnston Hotel, and in '77 erected the livery stable at Ashland. He was one of the originators of two important enterprises of his town, viz., the mill project and the bank. He is also secretary of the "Ashland Stock Sales."
Mr. Johnston was married at Bonne Femme church, November 5th, 1880, to Miss Julia Harris, daughter of Judge James Harris, deceased. They have one child, a daughter. He is a member of the Baptist church, and also belongs to the Masonic fraternity and A. O. U. W.
[Source: History of Boone County, Missouri; By Author Col. Wm. F. Switzler; Publ. 1882; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack]


J. G. JONES. Joseph Glenn Jones is the son of Mosias Jones, a native of Kentucky, who emigrated to Missouri in 1805, settling first in St. Louis County. In 1818 he came to Boone county, then almost a wilderness. He was a member of the first grand jury ever empanelled in the county. He settled oil the south end of the Two-mile prairie. On this farm the subject of this sketch was born, June 7th, 1825. He is the fourth son and seventh child of a family of six sons and six daughters, all of whom lived to maturity and became members of the New Salem Baptist church. Of this family four brothers are alive at this writing. Three brothers and one sister are living in Boone county. Mr. Jones lived on the home place until 1848, when he purchased and removed to a farm near where Claysville now stands. He resided on this place until the spring of 1878, when he removed to Ashland, intending at the time to give up business. He bought a fine farm adjoining the town, which he still cultivates. During the war he was arrested by the Federal authorities and taken to Jefferson City. From there he was sent to Gratiot street prison, St. Louis, where he remained for several months, being finally transferred to Alton. When released from prison he returned home and was allowed to remain with his family until the troubles were over. Mr. Jones has handled a great deal of stock, and devotes much attention to diseases of horses and cattle. He is now a member of Mount Pleasant Baptist church, also a member of the Masonic order, meeting with the Ashland lodge. He also 'belongs to the Ashland Grange. Mr. Jones's wife is a native of Tennessee. They were married in Cedar township, May 11, 1847. They have three children, two sons and one daughter, the latter by adoption.
[Source: History of Boone County, Missouri; By Author Col. Wm. F. Switzler; Publ. 1882; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack]


W. E. JONES. William Elijah Jones is the son of Christopher H. Jones, a native of Madison County, Kentucky. He came to Boone county with his brothers, Mosias and Lyne Jones in 1818, being among the very earliest settlers of this county. Christopher Jones was married in Kentucky to Miss Martha Yates. Emigrating to Boone County, soon afterwards he settled on the farm now occupied by Elijah, at which place all his children were born. The subject of this sketch was born October 23d, 1841. Ho was the sixth son and twelfth child of 8 family of six sons and seven daughters, of whom three sons and three daughters are now living — four of them in Boone county. Mr. Jones was reared on the farm and educated at the common schools of the neighborhood. In 1861 he enlisted in Gen. Clark's Division of Missouri State Guard, being a member of the Sixth regiment. He served in this regiment for six months, when he was transferred to the Ninth Missouri Infantry with which command he remained until the close of the war. He participated in the battles of Lexington, Pea Ridge, Mansfield, Pleasant Hill, Jenkins' Ferry, and numerous skirmishes of less note. Surrendered in June, 1865, and returned to his home in Boone county, where he has remained ever since. His farm is situated two miles west of Ashland. Makes the breeding of fine hogs a specialty.
He was married, February 26th, 1867, to Miss Mary S. Forbis, daughter of E. W. Forbis, of Boone County. They have one son and two daughters.
[Source: History of Boone County, Missouri; By Author Col. Wm. F. Switzler; Publ. 1882; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack]

Return to

Boone County

Missouri

Genealogy Trails

Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.