Buchanan County, Missouri
Biographies
~ A ~




WILLIAM M. ABLIN, attorney at law, insurance and real estate agent, was born in Indiana in 1820.  His youth was spent on a farm, with limited school advantages.  After he attained his majority, he entered Asbury University,and graduated with the degree of A.M.  He engaged for some time in teaching, and in 1851, came to Buchanan County, where he followed the same occupation.  He read law with the Hon. Henry Vories, and was admitted to the bar in 1861.  In 1852, he went to Gentry county and remained a short time.  He enlisted in the army during the late war, and was commissioned Lieutenant Colonel of the fourth Missouri State Volunteers, commanded by Colonel W.P. Hall.  Colonel Albin is a member of the Masonic fraternity and of the I.O.O.F.
(Source: The History of Buchanan County, Missouri A history of the county, its cities, towns, etc. Union Historical Company, 1881)

EDWARD ALDEN, gas fitter, plumber, dealer in pumps, lightning rods, etc.; one of the leaders in this line, and a man who stands among the popular citizens; was born in England, December 23, 1827.  He came to America in 1851, residing for over five years in New York, where he learned his trade, thence to Chicago, and, after four years sojourn, came to St. Joseph, established his trade  in 1860, and at present does one of the largest trades in the northwest.  He was married in 1856 to Miss Bridget McTigh, a native of Ireland.  Mr. Alden in a member of I.O.O.F.
(Source: The History of Buchanan County, Missouri A history of the county, its cities, towns, etc. Union Historical Company, 1881)

GEO.W.ANDERSON, check clerk for the Wabash, St. Louis & Pacific Railroad.  This well known railroad man was born in Brown County, Ohio, June 11th, 1844.  At an early age, he removed to Galesburg, Illinois, his father, G.W., Sr., being a stone cutter by trade.  The family eventually located in Monmouth, Illinois, where our subject learned the painter's trade, remaining until July, 1862, when he enlisted in Company C., Eighty-third Illinois Infantry.  After serving five months, he was honorably discharged on account of disability.  He returned home, recuperated, and on the 20th of November, 1863, enlisted in the Twelfth Illinois Cavalry.  Was in the department of the Gulf, and served until the 29th of April, 1866, when he mustered out.  Returning to Illinois, he engaged in working at his trade until 1875, when he became an employee of the Wabash, St. Louis & Pacific Railroad, stationed at St. Joseph.  He was married in 1880 to Miss Rosa Schreiber.  Mr. Anderson is a Mason, being a member of the Blue Lodge, Chapter and Council.
(Source: The History of Buchanan County, Missouri A history of the county, its cities, towns, etc. Union Historical Company, 1881)

JOHN ANGEL, with one exception, is the oldest settler now left in St. Joseph. He landed in this city November 21, 1843, coming in a stage from St. Louis, by way of Weston. That forerunner of the modern railroad with its well-equipped service, after a slow and delayed journey of several days, arrived here at one o'clock, and early in the day our subject went out to look over the city and determine what prospects would probably be in store for the place. So well was he impressed that on looking over a map in the office of Joseph Robidaux he picked out a lot near the square, for which he paid $100, and proceeded to place a dwelling house upon it, getting the timber, which he hewed out himself, from the upper bottom. As there were only a few small houses in the city when he came he found it very easy to secure a tenant, renting it in May. During the war Mr. Angel showed his loyalty to the Union by serving on the United States Grand Jury for two terms at Jefferson City and one term at St Louis. For many years after his settlement in St. Joseph, he engaged in building and contracting, but is now retired from active business cares, enjoying the rest and competence which be has well earned.
Our subject was born in Pennsylvania County, Va., January 24, 1813. His paternal grandfather was of British descent, and a farmer in Pennsylvania, where our subject's father, Nicholas, was born. The latter was reared by an uncle in Virginia, and being a natural mechanic, engaged in wagon-making in addition to farming. His marriage was celebrated in Virginia, in which state he worked at his trade until about the year 1814, when he went to Surrey County, N. C, where he had a carriage shop on his farm. His death occurred on the homestead December 24, 1859, at the age of sixty-seven years. Our subject's mother, Anna Taylor, was born in Virginia, and was a daughter of Cornelius, an agriculturist in that state, and later in North Carolina. Mrs. Angel died when our subject was quite small, and afterward his father married her sister, Rebecca. In a family of four children John Angel is the eldest and the only surviving member of the family. He was reared in North Carolina, on the farm, receiving but limited school advantages, and as regards education as well as from a financial point of view, he may truly be said to be a self-made man. He remained with his parents until 1833, when he went to Fayetteville, Tenn., where he engaged in farming for several years, and also learned the carpenter's trade, working for a time in Huntsville, Ala.
In 1830 Mr. Angel decided to go farther west and try his fortunes on the frontier. He accordingly started from Huntsville on horseback alone, going first to Memphis, thence to Little Rock, landing in Austin, where he remained two years. In February of 1841 he went by stage to Galveston, where he took a boat to St. Louis. From that city he proceeded to Van Buren County, Iowa, where he engaged at his trade during the winter of 1842-43, and was head Messenger in the Iowa Legislature. His next important move was, as before mentioned, when he came to St. Joseph in the fall of 1843. Mr. Angel began working at his trade in this city, contracting for buildings and running a large shop. For two and a half years he was in partnership with William Rodgers, but since that time has been alone. He dealt considerably in teal estate and took contracts for many of the frame and brick buildings, which are still standing in this city. He still owns a large amount of valuable property in the city.
On July 16, 1846, Father J. T. Higgenbottom pronounced the marriage ceremony which joined the fortunes of John Angel and Miss Eugenia, daughter of Francis Robidaux, so well known to the citizens of St. Joseph. Francis Robidaux was a merchant in St. Louis, and later led a retired life in St. Joseph until his death. Mrs. Angel was born and reared to womanhood in St. Louis, and was called to her final reward November 16, 1800. Three children blessed their union: one died in infancy; Edmond and Felix both died in childhood. For three terms our subject was a member of the City Council, and was City Assessor for one year. Politically he is a Democrat, and has been active in party politics. His residence is located at the corner of Jule and Fifth streets. When the Hannibal & St. Joseph Railroad was being surveyed, Mr. Angel was on the survey corps in 1849, and was the first surveyor of the railroad in the state betweenSt. Joseph and Hannibal, camping out for __ months. Ex-Governor Stewart was also in the party, and solicited as well as took some stock to get it through.
(Source: Portrait and Biographical Record of Buchanan and Clinton Counties, Missouri. Publ. 1893. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)

 

William Hardy Arthur, D. D. S.
In 1898 Dr. Arthur, fresh from the dental department of the University at Richmond, located for practice in Franklin, the capital of Southampton County, Virginia. In the years that have since elapsed he has grown strong, not only in professional ability and reputation, but also in public regard as a good citizen, progressive and loyal to the city of his adoption. Dr. Arthur is a maternal grandson of Hardy C. and Adelaide (Sangster) Williams, and son of Captain Frank Marion Arthur, who with his command, the gallant Company I, Ninth Regiment Virginia Volunteer Infantry of Pickett's division, fought at Seven Pines, Manassas, Sharpsburg, Gettysburg, the Wilderness, and in many other battles and skirmishes of the late war.
Captain Arthur was born February 17, 1843, and died February 25, 1902. His life was mainly spent in the peaceful calling of an agriculturist, but from 1861 to 1865 was spent amid the excitements and dangers that attended that period. Leaving his home in Nansemond County he enlisted in Company I, of Portsmouth, Virginia, as a private, he won successive commissions for bravery in battle until he became captain of his company, one of the hardest fighting companies in the famous Ninth Virginia Regiment of Pickett's division. He was taken prisoner at Gettysburg, confined in Fort Delaware, exchanged at Point Lookout, again taken prisoner at Five Forks, Virginia, and held in confinement until the war ended. He then returned to Nansemond County, a battle-scarred veteran, although even then but little past his majority. He married Mary Irwin Williams, born near Victoria, Texas, September 12, 1853, who survives him, a resident of Franklin, Virginia.
Dr. William Hardy Arthur, son of Captain Frank Marion and Mary Irwin (Williams) Arthur, was born in Nansemond county, Virginia, July 6, 1873. He obtained his early and preparatory educational training in private schools of Nansemond County, Churchland Academy and Grayham Academy in North Carolina. He then entered William and Mary College, where he continued three and a half years until 1895, when he began special professional training in the dental department of the University College of Medicine at Richmond. He completed a full course and was graduated Doctor of Dental Surgery with the class of 1898. In the same year he located in Franklin, Virginia, where he is well established and highly rewarded. He is a member of Franklin Lodge, No. 151, Free and Accepted Masons; Franklin Lodge, Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, and of other societies, professional, social and fraternal. In political faith he is a Democrat.
Dr. Arthur married, in October, 1906, Elizabeth Lawless, born in Saint Joseph, Missouri, February 14, 1886, daughter of Rev. J. L. and Emma (Baker) Lawless. Child, Frances Marion, born in Franklin, Virginia, February 17, 1913.
[Source: Encyclopedia of Virginia Biography, Under The Editorial Supervision of Lyon Gardiner Tyler, 1915 Transcribed by AFOFG]

 

FRANK M. ATKINSON, Postmaster at St Joseph, is numbered among the prominent and popular young business men of this enterprising city. He was born in Lexington, Mo., January 31, 1863, and is a member of a family whose representatives for years were prominent in the Old Dominion. His paternal grandfather was one of the pioneer farmers of Ohio, where he passed the closing years of his life.
Dr. Jesse Franklin Atkinson, father of our subject, was born near Gallipolis, Ohio, and after completing his literary education entered the Cincinnati Medical College, from which institution he was graduated. He engaged in the practice of his profession at Warrensburg, Mo., until the outbreak of the Civil War, at which time he received the appointment of Surgeon at Jefferson Barracks, Mo. Afterward he located at Lexington, this state, where he was successfully engaged as a general practitioner until his death, in 1882. He was prominent in various medical associations and also in the Republican party. His religious belief was in sympathy with the doctrines of the Methodist Episcopal Church, of which he was a faithful member.
The mother of our subject, Harriett (Pierson) Atkinson, was born and reared in Lexington, Mo., where she died in 1863. Her children were four in number, who attained to maturity, and of these our subject is the youngest. His childhood days were passed in Lexington, where he received a high-school education and afterward clerked in a clothing store. For a time he was traveling salesman in Missouri and Nebraska for a clothing house of St. Louis. In 1887, when St Joseph was in the midst of its real-estate "boom," he came to this city, and, in partnership with John Williams, embarked in the real-estate business. The firm of Williams & Atkinson occupied pleasant quarters on Frances Street, and conducted a genera] real-estate business with enterprise and efficiency.
The organization of the Lincoln Club, in 1888, was the direct result of Mr. Atkinson's exertions and he was honored with the office of first President. In 1892 he was elected Secretary of the Republican City Central Committee. His efforts have been largely instrumental in promoting the progress of the Republican party in St. Joseph, and perhaps no citizen of the place wields a more potent influence among the young men than he. In June, 1892, he was elected to represent the Third Ward on the School Board, of which he is member at the present time. September 1, 1892, upon the death of the postmaster, C. F. Ernst, he was appointed to that office by President Harrison, and is now serving in that position. Several times he has been a delegate to the Republican State Convention. When we consider the fact that be has not yet attained to life's prime, the honorable positions to which he has been called prove the possession of abilities of no ordinary nature. What the future has in store for him, what honors will come to him with the passing years, we leave to the biographer of the next generation to record. Without doubt, however, he will add lustre to the position already attained by St. Joseph as the home of many of the eminent men of Missouri.
(Source: Portrait and Biographical Record of Buchanan and Clinton Counties, Missouri. Publ. 1893. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)







BACK
Buchanan County, Missouri Genealogy Trails

  by Genealogy Trails -  All Rights Reserved - With full rights reserved for original submitters

 

 

.