Buchanan County, Missouri
Biographies
~ C ~




Robert E. Lee Campbell; The City of St. Joseph has had many notable business men, and to the people of Northwest Missouri a mention of their names brings up all the associations which are related with preeminence in commercial affairs. In this respect perhaps no name was more distinctive and remained so to the present time than that of Tootle. The late Milton Tootle, like other merchant princes, had many able lieutenants and associates, and any one familiar with St. Joseph mercantile history would readily recall the Wheelers, the Campbell’s, and others who at different times have added their names and enterprise to the Tootle leadership.
Of these the name of Campbell has been prominent in business affairs of St Joseph upwards of half a century. The late C. W. Campbell was a business man of Unusual ability and success, and his example was emulated by two of his sons, one of whom was the late Thomas B., and another is Robert E. L., now vice president and general manager of the Tootle-Campbell Dry Goods Company, one of the wholesale, manufacturing and jobbing houses which have lent distinction to St. Joseph's prominence as a center of trade for a large western territory.
The late Charles W. Campbell was a native of Winchester, Virginia, and settled in Missouri before the war. At the outbreak of the strife between the states he was engaged in the general merchandise business in Clinton County, but before the close of the war he moved to St. Joseph and became associated with Milton Tootle, Sr., in the wholesale dry goods business. He was one of the first men to travel on the road selling dry goods out of St. Joseph. St. Joseph was then more of a river town than a railroad center, and Mr. Campbell made most of his trips on horseback throughout Northwest Missouri, which was his territory, and he sold goods to the local merchants from samples carried in his saddle-bags.
In 1877 he became a member of the firm of Tootle. Hosea & Company, the constituent members of which were Milton Tootle, Sr., E. E. Hosea and C. W. Campbell. In 1884 Mr. Campbell retired from the firm and moved to Florida, where for many years he successfully grew oranges and conducted a large orange plantation. Charles W. Campbell married Sarah Jones, who was born in what is now Clinton County, Missouri, November 4, 3836, and deserves special mention in any history of Northwest Missouri from the fact that she was the first white child born in the Platte Purchase. This venerable woman died September 26, 1913.
One of the children of Charles W. and Sarah (Jones) Campbell, Robert E. Lee Campbell, was born in Clinton County, August 28, 1861. His boyhood was spent in St. Joseph, where he attended the public schools, and when still a young man he found a position as clerk in the dry goods house of Tootle, Craig & Company, and still later with Tootle, Hosea & Company. He learned a great deal about merchandising, and continued with the firm until 1884, when he accompanied his father to Florida, and for five or six years assisted the senior Campbell in his orange growing industry. Returning to St. Joseph in 1890, Mr. Campbell resumed work with the Tootle, Wheeler & Motter Mercantile Company, successors of the previous house of Tootle, Hosea & Company. With increasing responsibilities and a steadily gaining success as a merchant, Mr. Campbell remained with that firm until 1908, when the business was dissolved in favor of the new corporation, Tootle-Campbell Dry Goods Company. Mr. Campbell was assistant manager at the beginning of this new enterprise. Milton Tootle, Jr., was president, and the vice president and general manager was the late Thomas B. Campbell, a brother of Robert E. L. Thomas B. Campbell, who started in the dry goods business January 1, 1871, with the firm of Tootle & Fairleigh, was an associate of the late Milton Tootle, Sr., as an employee, and later transferred his relations to the firm of John S. Brittain & Company. He was one of the men who promoted the success of the latter concern until 1908, and then took an active part in the organization of the Tootle Campbell Dry Goods Company. From that time until his death on September 4, 1911, he occupied the position of vice president and general manager, and his place with the company was filled by his brother.
The Tootle-Campbell Dry Goods Company was incorporated April 29, 1908, and the establishment began active business on January 1. 1909. The present wholesale and jobbing house occupies a building from 308 to 324 on North Fourth Street, a structure which was built in 1908 especially for the company. It has a frontage of 178 feet on Fourth Street and 80 feet on Faraon Street. It is an eight-story and basement steel and concrete modern office and mercantile building, and contains 130,000 square feet of floor space. The firm also has a factory building located on Fourth Street between Felix and Francis streets, five stories high and eighty feet in front, for the manufacture of men's work clothing— "shirts, pants and overalls." The Tootle-Campbell Dry Goods Company conducts a general dry goods jobbing business, selling to merchants only, and employ in their offices and warehouse about one hundred and fifty persons, besides about the same number in their factory, and a staff of about fifty travelers represent them on the road, covering a vast territory from the Missouri River west to the Pacific coast and north to the Canadian line and south to Mexico. Since the new company began business on January 1, 1909, the sales and business of the firm has been steadily increasing until it is now one of the largest jobbing dry good 3 houses in the Middle West.
Mr. Campbell, while strictly a business man, and best known for his successful relations with commercial affairs, is also a popular citizen and an advocate of everything connected with the welfare of his home city, and belongs to several clubs and social organizations, including the following: St. Joseph Country Club, Lotus Club of St. Joseph, St. Joseph Commerce Club, and Lodge No. 40 of the B. P. O. Elks at St. Joseph. In 1892 Mr. Campbell married Miss Mary Newman of Des Moines, Iowa. They have a daughter, Alice Virginia, born in 1905. The family home is at 1015 East Isadore Street.
[A History of Northwest Missouri, Volume 2; edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1918; Donated and Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack]

 

Raymond L. Cargill. As county surveyor of Buchanan County, Raymond L. Cargill can always be depended upon to fulfill his exacting duties to the very letter, being one of the most competent men of his profession. A son of Charles P. Cargill, of whom a sketch appears elsewhere in this work, he was born in the City of St. Joseph, which is his home, September 22, 1884, of English ancestry. He is a lineal descendant in the eighth generation of Capt. David Cargill, the immigrant, the line of descent being as follows: Captain David (1), David (2), Colonel James (3), David (4), James (5), John C. (6), Charles P. (7), and Raymond L. (8).
Capt. David (1) Cargill, a native of Perthshire, England, left there when young, going first to Derry, Ireland, where he remained a few years. From there he immigrated to America, settling in Londonderry, New Hampshire, where he spent his remaining days. He became very prominent in public affairs, and his name appears very frequently in the recently published history of that town, which gives the date of his death as 1734.
David (2) Cargill was born in Ireland and settled in Londonderry, New Hampshire, in 1718. About 1730 he removed to that part of Massachusetts that is now included within the boundaries of the State of Maine, locating in that portion of the Town of New Castle that is now called Sheepscott, and there he and his wife, whose maiden name was Abigail McLoud, spent their remaining years.
Col. James (3) Cargill was born, October 24, 1725, in Londonderry, New Hampshire, and died in June, 1812. During the Revolutionary war he entered the Continental Army as captain of a company of Massachusetts Volunteers, and was later commissioned colonel of a body of troops. The maiden name of his wife was Agnes Kennedy.
David (4) Cargill was born October 18, 1758. He also served in the Revolutionary war, being color sergeant in Captain Davis's company, which was assigned to the regiment commanded by his father, Col. James Cargill.
James (5) Cargill was born at Liberty, Maine, March 4, 1789. John C. (6) Cargill was a native of Wheeling, Virginia. Further particulars of these two more immediate ancestors of Mr. Cargill may be found on another page of this volume, in connection with the sketch of his father, Charles P. Cargill.
Raymond L. Cargill was educated, primarily, in St. Joseph, being graduated from the high school with the class of 1901. Entering then the University of Missouri, in Columbia, he was there graduated in 1905, with the degree of B. S. in E. E. Accepting then a position with the St. Joseph Street Railroad Company, with which he was connected eighteen months. From that time until 1908 Mr. Cargill was assistant city engineer, and for four years thereafter was deputy county surveyor. In 1912 he was elected to his present position as county surveyor, and is filling it in a most acceptable manner.
Fraternally Mr. Cargill is a member of King Hill Lodge No. 19, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, of which his Grandfather Cargill was the first noble grand; of St. Joseph Lodge No. 40, Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks; of Saxton Lodge No. 508, A. F. & A. M., and Moila Temple, Nobles of the Mystic Shrine; of St. Joseph Chapter, Sons of the Revolution; of the Phi Gamma Delta Fraternity. He also belongs to the Monroe Club and to the Commerce Club.
[A History of Northwest Missouri, Volume 2; edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1918; Donated and Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack]

 

S. F. CARPENTER, M. D., is a practicing physician and surgeon of St. Joseph and is Professor of Anatomy in the Northwestern Medical College. He was born in Luray, Page County, Va., November 25, 1845, and is a son of Lewis F., who was a native of Loudoun County of the same state. Our subject's paternal grandfather, who also bore the Christian name of Lewis, was born in Maryland, and was an extensive farmer and stock-raiser in Loudoun County, where his death occurred. He rose to the rank of captain in the War of 1812, and did vacant service for the Colonies as his father did before him. The latter was a Colonel in the War of the Revolution and was present at the surrender of Cornwallis in Yorktown. He was of English descent, early settling in Maryland.
Our subject's father was a manufacturer of wagons, plows and machines of all kinds, being one of the first to manufacture the useful threshing machine. He was interested in iron mines and smelting works at Luray, where he was considered one of the leading business men. In 1854 he sold out his eastern interests and removed with his family to St. Joseph, where, for a year, he engaged in his former business of wagon and plow-making, after which he located on a farm, fourteen miles from the city in Marion Township, where he engaged in farming until he was called to his final rest March 21, 1889. He was prominent in Masonic fraternities having been Master. Our subject's mother, who was born in Page County, Va., was before her marriage Elizabeth, daughter of Henry Varner. The latter was born in the Keystone state and was of German descent, his father having emigrated from the Fatherland, becoming a farmer in Pennsylvania. Mrs. Carpenter, though seventy years of age, is still living on the old homestead.
In a family of nine sons and one daughter, S. F. Carpenter is the second. His oldest brother, Capt. William H., who was in the Confederate service, is President of the Phoenix Loan & Building Association of St. Joseph. Reared in Virginia until 1854, our subject was then brought by his parents to St. Joseph, making the journey by boat a large share of the way. The country was quite wild and Indians often camped in the vicinity of the farm. He received such education as was afforded by the pioneer school of the period, and remained on his father's farm until entering the army. He enlisted in September, 1863, in Company B, Eighty-first Missouri Infantry, which was raised by General Bassett, of St. Joseph. They were employed on campaigns in the state, protecting the country from maurauders, and had occasional skirmishes until the close of 1865, when they were mustered out.
Doctor Carpenter then entered Mastin's Academy at Easton, Mo., where he continued until commencing the study of medicine in 1866 under Dr. B. H. Cox, of DeKalb County. At the end of three years he entered the University of Louisville, Ky., in the Medical Department, pursuing one course and then engaging in practice for a year at Osborne, Mo. Returning to the University, he was graduated in the spring of 1871 with the degree of Doctor of Medicine, engaging again in practice at Osborne until January 1, 1874, when he settled in St. Joseph, and has since *then been engaged in practice here. He has met with success and is justly counted among the best physicians of the city and county. His specialties are surgery and chronic diseases.
In 1879 the Doctor was one of the organizers of and was made Professor of Chemistry in the old College of Physicians and Surgeons, which institution continued to flourish for two years only, being discontinued in 1881. He was also one of the founders of the justly famed Northwestern Medical College, which is the oldest and largest institution of the kindin this part of the state. The Doctor is a member of the Board of Directors and is Professor of Anatomy and Clinical Surgery. During the summer of 1873 he went to Philadelphia and New York for a few months of practical experience in the celebrated hospital work of those cities. Our subject is a member of the Buchanan County Medical Society, of the American Medical Association, and of the District Medical Association of Northwestern Missouri, having been the Vice-president. In the different medical journals the articles of Doctor Carpenter have been printed from time to time, and at present he is associate editor of the Western Surgical and Medical Reporter. Politically he is a Democrat, having been active in the work of the party as a delegate to county and state conventions; was a member of the County and City Central Committee and President of the City Council for two years from the Third Ward. Fraternally he is a member of St. Joseph Lodge No. 78, of the Ancient, Free and Accepted Masons, of which he is now Master. The pleasant home of Doctor Carpenter is on Francis street, and is presided over by his amiable wife, who was formerly Miss Fannie Nash, to whom he was married September 1, 1874, in Parkville, Platte County, Mo.    Mrs. Carpenter was born in that village and is a daughter of John H. Nash, an early settler and well-known business man of that locality. Our subject and wife have one child, a daughter Annie, who is now attending the Putnam Seminary at Zanesville, Ohio.
(Source: Portrait and Biographical Record of Buchanan and Clinton Counties, Missouri. Publ. 1893. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)

 

Charles Morland Carter. A man of sterling integrity and pronounced business acumen; Charles Morland Carter, of St. Joseph, has been identified with the railway service of our country for nearly forty years, holding positions of trust and responsibility. The son of a distinguished journalist, Robert Carter, he was born in Cambridge, Massachusetts, where the days of his childhood were spent. His grandfather Carter, a native of Maryland, passed the greater part of his active life in Albany, New York.
Robert Carter was born in Albany, New York, and in that city acquired his preliminary education. Subsequently being graduated from a Jesuit college in Montreal, he adopted journalism, a profession for which he was amply equipped, and for a time was editor of a Boston paper. He afterwards edited the Rochester Democrat, in Rochester, New York, and later was similarly associated with Appleton's Journal. During the Civil war he was correspondent of the New York Tribune, his dispatches being among the most accurate published. He was still later assistant editor of Appleton's Cyclopaedia. His last years were spent in Cambridge, Massachusetts, his death occurring there on February 15, 1879. He married Ann Augusta Gray, who was born at Newport, Rhode Island, daughter of William Shepard and Ann Knight (Morland) Gray, natives of Salem, Massachusetts. The Grays of Salem, Massachusetts, were importing merchants when that city was an important port of entry, and when the old Custom House, immortalized by Hawthorne, did a flourishing business. Mrs. Robert Carter died in November, 1863, leaving three children, as follows: James Lowell, Charles Morland, and Alice.
Charles Morland Carter was educated in Cambridge, Massachusetts, and at Rochester, New York. When eighteen years of age he accepted a position as clerk in a wholesale grocery at Rochester, but at the end of a year returned to Cambridge, Massachusetts, where he remained as clerk in a foundry and manufacturing concern for seven years. Going to Omaha, then a city of about twenty-five thousand inhabitants, in 1876, Mr. Carter entered the employ of the Burlington & Missouri River Railroad Company in Nebraska, now a part of the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railway System, as clerk in the office. The ability and efficiency which he displayed in that capacity led to his promotion to assistant treasurer of the Chicago, Dubuque & Minnesota Railroad at Dubuque, Iowa, a subsidiary line owned by the Chicago.
Burlington & Quincy Railroad Company, where he was stationed until August 1, 1880. He then came to St. Joseph, Missouri, where he has since served most satisfactorily as assistant treasurer of the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad Company. Mr. Carter is likewise director and secretary and treasurer of the St. Joseph Union Depot Company; a director and the secretary and treasurer of the Hannibal Union Depot Company; and vice president of the St. Louis & Kansas City Land Company.
Mr. Carter married, in 1879, Miss Ada P. Hunter, who was born in Oshkosh, Wisconsin, a daughter of John and Ellen D. (Rood) Hunter. Three children have blessed the union of Mr. and Mrs. Carter, namely: Marjorie, wife of G. N. White; Dorothy, who married Henry H. Osborne, and has one child, Carter Osborne; and Barbara. Socially Mr. Carter is one of the directors of the Country Club, and a member of both the Commerce and the Benton clubs.
[A History of Northwest Missouri, Volume 2; edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1918; Donated and Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack]

 

Charles W. Chastain, M. D. For more than twenty years Doctor Chastain has been in active practice at Plattsburg, and in that time has gained many of the better distinctions that come to the physician and surgeon, and his success has been in proportion to the length of his practice. Doctor Chastain promoted himself to success largely through his own efforts, and is a man of liberal education, being a graduate of the medical department of the University of Missouri and of the Columbia University Medical College in New York.
Charles Y. Chastain was born on May 6, 1857, on a farm in Benton County. His father, Willis W. Chastain. was born in Russellville, Kentucky, in 1813. and was the son of William Chastain. who was born in Virginia and of French Huguenot stock. Willis W. Chastain was reared in Kentucky, received his education there, and married Mary E. Tandy, was born and reared in Kentucky, a daughter of Mills Tandy. Mills Tandy belonged to the same family of which the late Senator Roger Q. Mills of Texas was a prominent member. The Chastain family moved from Kentucky to Benton County, Missouri, in 1844-45, where the father was a successful farmer and stockman. He was an elder in the Christian church and an active church worker, and in politics he was a Whig and after the war a democrat. His death occurred at the age of fifty-six. The three surviving children are: Mills T.; Alice, widow of R. S. Sandidge, of Marshall, Missouri; and Dr. Charles W.
Doctor Chastain lived in Saline County from 1869 to 1881. He served as deputy circuit clerk and deputy county recorder, and at one time as coroner. In 1882 he graduated in medicine from the medical department of the Missouri State University, and subsequently pursued his studies in the medical department of Columbia University at New York City. The first nine years of his practice were spent in Kansas City.
In 1887, in Clinton County, Missouri, Doctor Chastain married Miss Ida Pickett. Her father, William Pickett, now deceased, came from North Carolina. Mrs. Chastain died in 1901, at the age of thirty-six. Doctor Chastain subsequently married Eunice Biggerstaff of Plattsburg, who was reared and educated and belonged to one of 'he well known families of Clinton County. They have two sons: Mills T., aged seven ; and Charles W., Jr., aged five.
Doctor Chastain has always taken an active part in church affairs and has served as deacon and elder in the Christian church, and is a worker in the Sunday school. He is also much interested in public school work. During the administration of Governor Folk, Doctor Chastain received appointment as physician to the Missouri penitentiary at Jefferson City, and served several months into Governor Hadley's administration. Doctor Chastain is regarded as one of the leading physicians of Clinton County, and also has a prominent place in the public and social affairs of his community. He and his wife are members of the Eastern Star, and he is an active Mason.
[A History of Northwest Missouri, Volume 2; edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1918; Donated and Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack]

 

HIRAM CHRISTOPHER, M. A., M. D., Dean of the Ensworth Medical College and Professor of Chemistry, has gained prominence, not only in the scientific circles of
St. Joseph, where he resides, but also is widely known throughout this section of Missouri as a specialist of rare powers and wide range of information concerning the subjects to which he has devoted a life time of study. Aside from his professional duties, he has become well known in literary circles as the editor of the Medical Herald a monthly publication devoted to the interests of the science of medicine, founded in June, 1891.
At Louisville, Ky., Hiram Christopher was born August 22, 1819. His father, Ebenezer, was of eastern birth, and resided successively in New York, Maryland and Kentucky, being a pioneer farmer of the last-named state, where he died in 1826. Mary Sturgiss, as the mother of our subject was known in maidenhood, was born in Somerset County, Md., and died in Kentucky, after having become the mother of eleven children. Hiram, the tenth in order of birth, is the only one now living. He was reared in Louisville, where, at the age of eighteen, he was appointed Assistant Postmaster and occupied this position until he was twenty-two.
The literary education of Dr. Christopher was gained in Bethany College, W. Va., which he entered at the age of twenty-two and from which he was graduated in 1845, with the degree of Bachelor of Arts. Later he was honored with the degree of Master of Arts. After graduating, he entered the Medical Department of the University of Louisville and was graduated from that institution in March, 1847, with the degree of Doctor of Medicine. He opened an office for the practice of his profession at St. Louis, Mo., where he remained until 1859, meanwhile establishing a good practice and becoming known as a conscientious and skillful physician.
In the year above named Dr. Christopher was called to the Chair of Chemistry and Natural History in Bethany College, and this responsible position he occupied with distinguished ability until the outbreak of the Civil War in 1861. The strife between North and South resulted in the closing of the college. The Doctor then came to Lexington, Mo.* where he again commenced an active round of professional duties. In August, 1864, he resumed the practice of his profession at St. Louis, where for fourteen ensuing years he was continuously engaged as a physician and surgeon. In 1878 he was honored by election to the Professorship of Chemistry, Philosophy and Languages in Woodland College, located at Independence, Mo., and for three years he filled this position.
In 1882 Dr. Christopher located in St. Joseph, where he soon acquired an enviable reputation as a specialist in diseases of the throat, nose and ear. In 1879 he became Professor of Chemistry in the St. Joseph Medical College, and ten years later accepted a similar position in the Ensworth Medical College, which is one of the best institutions of the kind in Missouri, and has an average of sixty-five students in attendance. Of this college the Doctor was elected Dean in 1891 and is still serving in that capacity.
At Fayette, Mo., occurred the marriage of Dr. Christopher to Miss Nannie McGarvey, who was born in Kentucky. They are the parents of three children: Mary, the wife of Doctor West-over, of St. Joseph; Sallie, Mrs. J. A. Lea, of Independence, Mo.; and Fannie, who married Mr. George Bradford, and resides in Independence, Mo. The religious connections of the family are with the Christian church, and they are prominent in that denomination as active workers and generous contributors. The Doctor affiliates with the Democratic party politically. His office is located in the Ballinger Building at St. Joseph. He is a charter member of the Buchanan County Medical Society, and has always been influential in its councils. For two years, 1877-78, he filled the position of Associate Editor of the St. Louis Medical and Surgical Journal, in connection with Thomas F. Rombold.
(Source: Portrait and Biographical Record of Buchanan and Clinton Counties, Missouri. Publ. 1893. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)

 

Robert R. Clark; An industry whose wheels have been turning and whose machinery has been making useful products for more than half a century is always an interesting institution in the life of a community. "This interest is enhanced in the case of a mill which through all these years has been making a commodity for the daily bread of the people. One of the most conspicuous industrial institutions of St. Joseph is the Aunt Jemima Mills Company. As a trade name "Aunt Jemima" has been associated with the well known food product for many years, though only recently was the big milling industry at St. Joseph incorporated under that name. Established more than half a century ago, the industry underwent many changes of ownership, but for thirty years or more the name Davis was associated in the minds of the people of St. Joseph and of all of Northwest Missouri with the great mills whose products were in common use throughout the Missouri Valley. Mr. R. T. Davis died a number of years ago and since that time new resources of capital and management have been introduced, and the business has been greatly broadened and increased. For the past ten years Robert R. Clark has been president of the company, and is one of the most prominent millers in the entire country.
Robert R. Clark was born in LaSalle County, Illinois, in 1861, a son of Roderick and Mary (Ryall) Clark. His father, a contractor and builder, lived for a number of years at Marseilles, Illinois, and while there developed the first commercial water power on the Illinois River, through the construction of a dam across that stream, and for nearly forty years that has been one of the best water powers in the state. Following the great tire in Chicago in 1871, Roderick Clark moved to that city and did a large business in the erection of new buildings over the desolated districts.
Robert R. Clark was reared and educated in the public schools at Marseilles. After finishing his schooling, he learned the grain business at Marseilles, and was employed in grain mills at Marseilles and also at Yorkville, Illinois, but subsequently was associated with his brothers in the paper business at South Bend and Mishawaka, Indiana. Coming West in 1884, he located at Lawrence, Kansas, and was again in the paper business, but subsequently became associated with Mr. Bowersock in flour milling, and was in successful business there until 1904. In 1903, during the great floods which devastated the valleys of the Missouri and tributary rivers, their mill was destroyed. In 1904, after this disaster, Mr. Clark came to St. Joseph. He became one of the prominent factors in the reorganization of the old R. T. Davis Mill Company, which after reorganization was incorporated as the Davis Milling Company of 'St. Joseph. That corporate name was used until February, 1914, at which time the corporate title was changed to Aunt Jemima-Mills Company, and the capital increased to $500,000.
The Aunt Jemima Mills Company practically had its inception in 1860, when Northcutt & Anthony built the City Mills, near Third and Louis streets, St. Joseph, which were operated by William Ridenbaugh and I. Van Riley until 1868. In 1869 Randall T. Davis, who had been engaged in running the Union Mill in Platte County, sold that enterprise and came to St. Joseph, bought Mr. Ridenbaugh's interest, and in 1876 became sole owner of the City Mills. In 1882 Mr. Davis and Robert R. H. Faucett incorporated the R. T. Davis & Faucett Mill Company, and built at Second and Edmond streets what was then the largest flouring mill on the Missouri River. About 1885 Mr. Davis bought the interest of R. H. Faucett and the firm style was changed to R. T. Davis Mill Company. In the following year the capacity of the mill was increased by the addition of new machinery from four hundred to five hundred barrels per day, the mill being 120x140 feet, five stories in height, with a mammoth grain elevator in close proximity. In 1891 was begun the manufacture of the famous Aunt Jemima pancake flour, which necessitated the building of a separate mill at Fourth and Mary streets. R. T. Davis died December 14, 1894, and the business was subsequently carried on by his successors until 1904, when the reorganization under the new name, The Davis Milling Company of St. Joseph, was consummated. The first officers of the new company were: Robert R. Clark, president and treasurer; Graham G. Lacy, vice president, and Noah H. King, secretary. In February, 1914, when the capital stock was increased to $500,000 and the name changed to Aunt Jemima Mills Company, the officers were: Robert R. Clark, president; Graham G. Lacy, vice president; J. W. Craver, treasurer, and W. M. Clark, secretary.
Since the reorganization in 1904 the flour plant has doubled and the output of the corn-meal plant has increased threefold, while the output of the Aunt Jemima product has averaged an increase of 33% per cent each year since 1904. All of the plants are now running to the full capacity of buildings and machinery, twenty-four hours per day, and any further increase of business means the erection of more buildings and the installing of more machinery. The brands of flour are "Royal No. 10," of soft wheat; "Red Top and Davis Golden Sheaf," of hard wheat; and '' Fiddling Bow Self-Raising Biscuit Flour.'' The sales cover a territory in the Southern and Middle States, east as far as Pennsylvania and New York, south to the Mexican line, west to Denver, and north to Minneapolis. "Aunt Jemima Pancake Flour" is a household word; it is advertised nationally and sold in every part of the United States and Canada, as well as in various European countries. On the whole, the plant of the Aunt Jemima Mills Company is one of the largest, if not the largest, manufacturing industry in St. Joseph, and gives employment to hundreds of people.
In his career as a miller and business man Robert R. Clark has had that tine faculty of being able to grow in understanding in proportion to the tremendous growth of modern business and of opportunities. As his interests have increased so likewise have his capabilities broadened, and while the management of the great industry above described requires singular executive power and business acumen, Mr. Clark has also found time to devote to other lines. He is a director of the Western Millers Fire Insurance Company of Kansas City and of the Millers Mutual Casualty Company of Chicago, and other enterprises have had the benefit of his experience and judgment. Widely and favorably known in the trade, he has served as president of the Kansas City Millers Club since 1911, and -during 1914 was vice president of the Millers National Federation. His social relations are with the St. Joseph Country Club, the St. Joseph Commerce Club, and with Lodge No. 40 of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks at St. Joseph. With his family, Mr. Clark attends the First Presbyterian Church and is a deacon in that organization. The Clark home is one of the handsome residences of St. Joseph, located at 720 North Twenty-Fifth Street, and one of the social centers of the city.
In 1884 Mr. Clark married Miss Mary K. Miller, daughter of William Miller, who was a banker and miller at South Bend, Indiana, where he was regarded as one of the pioneer citizens. To their marriage have been born three children: Mary F., wife of E. Percy Johnson of St. Joseph; William M., secretary of the Aunt Jemima Mills Company; and Josephine E., at home with her parents.
[A History of Northwest Missouri, Volume 2; edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1918; Donated and Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack]

 

Prof. John Clarke. Upon the roster of those men of the present generation who have won success and public recognition for themselves in Northwest Missouri, and at the same time have honored the community to which they belong, the name of Prof. John Clarke is worthy of a prominent place. He is a man of high intellectuality, broad human sympathies and tolerance, and is imbued with fine sensibilities and clearly denned principles, and his career has been one characterized by worthy attainments and earnest efforts. For a number of years he has sustained an enviable reputation in educational circles, and today is giving intelligent direction to the management of a fine farm, located seven and one-half miles northeast of Maysville, in Dallas Township. Professor Clarke is a native son of De Kalb County, having been born on his father's farm, February 6, 1878, a son of W. R. and Naomi (Ginn) Clarke. The father, who was one of the prominent citizens of De Kalb County, served for a number of years as judge of the county court and at all times maintained the reputation of being an impartial and dignified member of the bench. His business avocation was that of farming, and through a life of industry and well-directed effort he gained a handsome property and a position of prominence among the substantial men of his part of the county. His death occurred in 1910, when his community suffered the loss of one of its best citizens. Mrs. Clarke still survives her husband and is making her residence on the old homestead, where she is widely known and highly esteemed for her many admirable qualities of mind and heart. She has been the mother of two children: Sadie, who is a graduate of the public schools and now the wife of Judge Dunham, of De Kalb County, and Prof. John, of this review.
John Clarke grew up amid rural surroundings and as a lad spent a great deal of his time in assisting his father with the work of the home farm in Dallas Township, his early education being acquired in the district schools and being supplemented by attendance at the schools of Slausberry and Chillicothe. He embarked upon his professional career as an educator in 1899, when he began his duties in the country schools of De Kalb County, being then twenty-one years of age. Following this his promotion was rapid from one school to another, and finally he acquired a first-grade license. He has been most successful in his work along school lines and has won prestige among the able educators of Northwest Missouri, being an excellent disciplinarian and having the power of imparting, readily, clearly and accurately to others, the knowledge he has acquired, which is really the secret of success in teaching.
In 1912 Professor Clarke was appointed a member of the De Kalb County text-book committee, which consists of the county superintendent of schools and two appointees, the latter receiving their appointments from the county court. This is a responsible and honored office and those chosen to fill it are taken from the leading educators of the county, for the textbooks, when selected and adopted, are kept in use for a term of five years. Professor Clarke's appointment to this commission was but a just recognition of his splendid talents. At this time he holds the position of principal of the public schools of Weatherby, with two teachers under him. During his vacations, he turns his attention to tilling the soil, and has proven himself as good a farmer as he is an educator. Within the borders of his property he has 120 acres of rich land; well kept fences divide it into fields of convenient size and enclose excellent crops, which indicate the careful supervision of the owner, who understands both the practical and the scientific sides of farming and is therefore particularly successful in his operations.
On April 2, 1902, Professor Clarke was married to Miss Gretta D. Assel. a graduate of the Dallas Township schools, and they have had two children: Verna 0., born December 24, 1909, and Marjorie, born February 7, 1914. Professor and Mrs. Clarke are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, in which he is a member of the board of stewards. Fraternally, he affiliates with Harrison Lodge No. 126, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and is now starting through the chairs of this order, in which he has numerous sincere friends. Politically a republican, he has taken a keen interest in public matters, and is recognized as a leader of his party in this section, having frequently served as a delegate to conventions and as a party committeeman.
For the past ten years he has acted as justice of the peace, and this service has been characterized by excellent ability and devotion to duty. Professor Clarke is of a literary turn of mind, and his name is not unknown as a contributor to various of the country newspapers.
[A History of Northwest Missouri, Volume 2; edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1918; Donated and Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack]

 

Alvah Patee Clayton; St. Joseph as a city of trade and industry has been fortunate in the possession of a fine body of citizenship, including men of ability and integrity to direct the large enterprises which have given this city distinction among the larger centers of Missouri. During the last quarter of the century, one of these building builders and upholders of local prosperity has been Alvah Patee Clayton, president of the Sheridan-Clayton Paper Company, a former mayor of St. Joseph, bearing a name which has long had a distinctive place in the city's history, and one of the foremost Masons of Northwest Missouri. Mr. Clayton has had a long and varied career, which has made him both a witness and a participant of many eras of achievements and social and business advancement.
The Sheridan-Clayton Paper Company, located at 302-308 South Third Street, and of which Mr. Clayton has been president since 1902, is the largest wholesale and jobbing house of its kind in St. Joseph, and has a history going back thirty years or more. The company makes a specialty of wrapping paper, stationery, school supplies, holiday goods, toys, woodenware, and drug sundries. The territory over which its goods are distributed through a large force of traveling representatives comprises the states of Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, Nebraska, Iowa, Colorado, Utah, Wyoming and Idaho.
Alvah Patee Clayton is a native of the State of Ohio, born at Ashley, December 27, 1860, a son of James Wellington and Almira Elizabeth (Patee) Clayton. After his father's death in Ohio, in 1864, the mother, who was a daughter of Alvah Patee, and a niece of John Patee, both of whom helped make business and civic history in St. Joseph, herself came to this city, bringing her son Alvah in 1865, and she lived here until her death, December 24, 1912. Thus Mr. Clayton has been a resident of St. Joseph practically all his life. The public schools gave him his early education, and later he was a student in the Christian Brothers College at St. Joseph. His practical business career began with the old wholesale stationery firm of Williams Brothers, and though his identification with paper trade has not been continuous, it was that early experience which really gave him the start towards his permanent career. In 1881 Mr. Clayton engaged in the general merchandise trade at Eleventh and Penn streets, in St. Joseph, as a member of the firm of Skiles, Hull & Clayton. This partnership continued until 1884, in which year Mr. Clayton went on the road as traveling representative for the Beaumont-Sheridan Paper Company of St. Joseph. He sold paper for this firm over a territory with satisfactory success until 1886. Then he was out of the paper business for one year, and was traveling salesman, representing R. T. Davis Milling Company of St. Joseph. Returning to his old firm, which in the . meantime had reorganized and taken the title of Ashtori-Sheridan Paper Company, Mr. Clayton in 1888 himself bought a one-third interest in the business, and it was then reorganized and incorporated as the Sheridan-Clayton Paper Company, with John J. Sheridan as president and A. P. Clayton as vice president. Upon Mr. Sheridan's retiring from the business, in 1902, Mr. Clayton became president, but the old title of the firm is still kept.
Few business men have so popular a place in community and general social esteem as Mr. Clayton. Outside of the paper company, his business interests include the relation of vice president of the Park Bank of Sf. Joseph, director of the Bartlett Trust Company of St. Joseph, and director of the Mueller-Keller Candy Company of St. Joseph. Having long been prominently identified with business affairs, being considered one of the leading business men, and a man whose efficiency was beyond a question of doubt, Mr. Clayton was prevailed upon to accept the nomination for the office of mayor, and was elected two terms, his period of service running from 1908 to 1912. He also served two terms as president of the St. Joseph Commercial Club, was president of the Lotus Club for two terms, and president of the Jefferson Club two terms. His interests in many lines are indicated by the various honorary memberships which have bestowed upon him, and these include honorary membership in the following orders: International Typographical Union; International Bricklayers,, Plasterers, and Masons' Unions; International Plumbers' and Steamfitters' Union; Missouri State Retail Merchants' Association; Master Bakers' Association of America; Master Bakers' Association of Kansas.
elected to the exalted office of Imperial Potentate of North America, of the A. A. 0. Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, serving during the year 1907. His local membership is with Moila Temple, of the Mystic Shrine, and he was potentate for eight years, from 1899 to 1906. He has an honorary life membership in forty shrines in North America, and is an honorary member of Pacific Lodge of New York City, A. F. & A. M., a lodge composed of actors and theatrical managers. Perhaps his greatest distinction in Masonic work was his activity in organizing, in January, 1907, the first shrine in a Latin country, the Republic of Mexico. In January, 1908, he instituted and delivered the charter to Aneva Temple, A. A. 0. N. M. S., at the City of Mexico, and conferred the order upon President Diaz and other prominent Mexicans. Mr. Clayton has been affiliated with the Masonic Order since he was twenty-one years of age, and is a life member of Charity Lodge No. 331, A. F. & A. M., receiving his life membership card for thirty years of active service. His other relations are with St. Joseph's Chapter, R. A. M.; Hugh DePayen Commandery No. 51, K. T., and all the Scottish Rite bodies, including St. Joseph Consistory No. 4, A. A. S. R.
In 1887 Mr. Clayton married Miss Mattie Gunn, a daughter of Dr. Robert Gunn, a well known physician of St. Joseph, and also a very prominent Mason. They are the parents of three sons: Robert Griffin Clayton, Edward Smith Clayton, and Alvah Patee Clayton, Jr. Their home is at 208 North Nineteenth Street.
Mr. Clayton's career has been a busy one, and filled with accomplishments in various lines. His ability to do many things perhaps comes from his splendid physical and mental efficiency, and his stature of six feet two inches, with weight of more than two hundred and fifty, is suggestive of his general bigness, not only physically, but in every characteristic. He is one of the men of action, and of large and distinctive influence in the city.
Source:  A History of Northwest Missouri Volume III; publ. 1915 in III Volumes; Edited by Walter Williams; Submitted to Genealogy Trails and transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack

 

CONNETT, William Carroll, lawyer; born, Buchanan Co., Mo., Apr. 7, 1879; son of William Carroll and Perilla (Leonard) Connett; educated St. Joseph High School; graduated from Manual Training School of St. Louis, 1899; student Washington University Law School, 1901, and later at University of Virginia; married, St. Louis, Sept. 27, 1909, Jessie Schlafly; one daughter: Jane Allen. Began practice in St. Louis in July, 1902; secretary to Mayor Rolla Wells, 1907-09; vice president A. F. Mengee Music Co., Haight Orchard & Development Co., director Liberty Nassau Building Co.; secretary G. R. Schmidt Woolen Co. Democrat. Member St. Louis Bar Association, Thayer Law Club. Clubs: Missouri Athletic (vice president), St. Louis Amateur Athletic Association (vice president). Recreation: outdoor exercise. Office: Third National Bank Bldg. Residence: 4482 McPherson Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)

 

ABNER COPELAND. The old saying that industry brings reward as surely as doesvirtue is proved in the life of the gentleman whose name opens this sketch. He began at the bottom of the ladder of fortune, but now is regarded as one of the financial pillars of St. Joseph. Besides being the proprietor of nine hundred and thirty-six acres of valuable land, six hundred and forty of which is a rich Minnesota soil, he is a prominent stockholder and director in the Saxton National Bank, and holds the same position in the Park Bank.
The father of our subject, John Copeland, was born in North Carolina, whither his father, the grandfather of Abner, located before the Revolutionary War, in which struggle he took part, together with four of his brothers. Our subject's mother, Zana (Lasater) Copeland, was also born in the above-named state, where she was married to John Copeland in 1828. Soon after that event the young couple made their home in Wilson and Rutherford counties, Tenn., respectively, until 1840, when they came to Missouri, locating in Ray County. Remaining there but a few months, however, they moved to the claim near Sparta, Mo., owned by our subject, where they spent the closing years of their lives, the mother dying in 1849 and the father in 1873. They were both consistent members of the Baptist Church, the latter being one hundred years old when submitting to the ordinance of baptism.
Of the parental family of ten children two sons and two daughters are living, viz.: Mrs. Cynthia Jones, Mrs. Fannie Patterson, our subject and Lasater. The father of our subject was a strong Democrat in politics and believed that all who opposed that party were descendants of the Tories. He lived to the remarkable age of one hundred and five years, and at the time of his death possessed all his faculties unimpaired, having been confined to his bed but three days previous to his decease.
Abner Copeland, of this sketch, was born August 27, 1818, in Chatham County, N. C. There he was reared on a farm, being permitted to attend school only six or eight months. At the early age of eleven years his father bound him out and he was thus obliged to work for others until reaching his majority. Then coming on horseback to this state, he landed at Camden, Ray County, December 1, 1839, and locating a claim of one hundred and sixty acres of timber land in Center Township, he began the work of its improvement, erecting a log shanty thereon and making it his home until 1849.
In 1849 Miss May, the daughter of Col. Thomas Wright, and our subject were united in marriage. Mr. Wright was a native of Surry County, N. C. which he served in the capacity of Sheriff for many years, and where he was also a prominent merchant Mrs. Copeland was born in 1828 in North Carolina, and received an excellent education at Saleni, in her native state. Of her union with our subject one child was born, who is now deceased. Mrs. Copeland passed away November 1, 1890, greatly mourned by a large circle of friends.
He of whom we write, soon after his marriage, located upon Section 35, Washington Township, which had been the property of his father-in-law, and where he continued to reside until 1886. In the above year he moved to St. Joseph, where he has eight acres of beautiful land upon which he has erected a handsome brick residence costing $3,400.
February 29, 1892, Mr. Copeland was married to Miss Bethinia, the daughter of Judge Henry M. Voorhees. He was a native of Kentucky and was very prominent in public affairs, haying been Judge of the Supreme Court and at one time candidate for Congress. Mrs. Copeland was born May 13, 1846, at Sparta, Buchanan County, this state, and was given an excellent education in St. Joseph, where she attended a private school. She is a very proficient performer on the piano, and for three years taught in the St. Joseph public schools.
Both Mr. and Mrs. Copeland are members of the Wyeth Park Baptist Church. In 1871 our subject aided in the organization of the Missionary Baptist Church, in Center Township, of which congregation he was Deacon for many years. He has always taken an active part in Sunday-school work, and in many ways has aided the religious development of this locality. Socially, Mr. Copeland is a demitted member of the Masonic fraternity and at one time was a Granger. He takes great interest in politics and has always voted for Democratic candidates. As before stated, he is the possessor of nearly a thousand acres of land, all of which has been accumulated by his own thrift and good management. It goes without saying that he possesses splendid business ability, which is shown by his wise investments and marked advancement, and as such we are pleased to place his sketch among those of the prominent men of Buchanan and Clinton counties.
(Source: Portrait and Biographical Record of Buchanan and Clinton Counties, Missouri. Publ. 1893. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)

 

Hon. Edward F. Cornelius. The capacity for public service which the individual develops in business affairs may often exceed that gained by the professional legist, for the practical abilities which make for success in the transactions of commercial life are found no less eminently fitting for the requirements of the handling of the affairs of the state or nation. Some of our ablest legislators have come from the field of agriculture, where their abilities have been prepared and sharpened for the momentous questions of every-day public life. In this class is the Hon. Edward F. Cornelius, for many years a farmer and dealer in stock in De Kalb County, and now representative of that county in the State Legislature. He is a native of Buchanan County, Missouri, and was born July 21, 1866, a son of William A. and Mary J. (Wilson) Cornelius. His father was for many years a substantial agriculturist of Buchanan County, Missouri, where he settled during the '40s, first entering a tract of land from the United States Government and substantially adding to it later by purchase until he had 470 acres. He is now deceased, but the mother still survives and is making her home on the old farm. There were twelve children in the family, as follows: Lorena, who is the wife of James Bermond; Amanda, who married George W. Castle; Ella M., who is the wife of B. E. Carpenter; Hon. Edward F.; William B., of Andrew County, Missouri; John C, a resident of Buchanan County, Missouri; Alice, who married Wallace Courtney; Effie, who is the wife of W. B. Wintenburg; Edith, who married Harvey Marker; and three children who are deceased.
Edward F. Cornelius was reared on the homestead place in Buchanan County and there received his early education, in the common schools, subsequently spending two years in Sturgisville College. Following his graduation there from, he engaged in school teaching for one year, and when twenty years of age came to De Kalb County and turned his attention to farming. On September 10, 1888, he was married to Miss Rosa Clark, and they settled down to housekeeping on a rented farm. Mr. Cornelius was possessed' of no funds and was forced to go into debt for his outfit, but energetic and persevering labor soon placed him upon the high road to success and position, and he was eventually able to purchase a tract of eighty acres. This property formed the nucleus for his present magnificent farm, comprising 720 acres of some of the best land to be found in the county. For a number of years he devoted himself entirely to general farming, but later branched out into buying and feeding stock, which he has since made a prominent feature of his business, and in addition is an extensive raiser of corn and alfalfa.
The success that Mr. Cornelius has acquired through his long and active career he accredits to staying by his work and paying strict attention to business. Throughout his whole career Mr. Cornelius has maintained a character that is above reproach, and as a practical and public-spirited citizen has the esteem of all who know him. A leader in the local democracy, Mr. Cornelius was elected a member of the Forty-seventh General Assembly, and is the present representative of De Kalb County, his public service being characterized by the same ability and devotion to duty that have marked his activities in his private interests. Fraternally he is popular with his fellow members in Weatherby Lodge, No. 235, A. F. and A. M., and Russell Chapter, No. 77, R. A. M. Mr. Cornelius was reared in the faith of the Presbyterian church, in which his father was a deacon, but is now connected with the Baptist church, in which he holds a like position. He is a friend of education, religion and good citizenship, and is an important moral force in his community.
Five children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Cornelius: Roy, who left home to make his own way in the world at the age of sixteen years, is now twenty-three years of age, a resident of Alaska and a successful young business man; Clinton, who is in his second year at the state university at Columbia; "Vernon E., a graduate of the Maysville High School, who is engaged in business in that city; Edith, who is a student of the high school here; and Lester, who attends the graded schools.
[A History of Northwest Missouri, Volume 2; edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1918; Donated and Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack]

 

JUDGE SAMUEL D. COWAN since 1878 has been clerk of the Circuit and Criminal Courts of Buchanan County. He is one of the early settlers, having resided in the county since 1853. His home is in St. Joseph, where he is well known and highly esteemed. His birth occurred in Pulaski County, Ky., in 1825.
His father, Hon. John W., who was born in Virginia, was reared to agricultural pursuits and early settled in Pulaski County, Ky. For two terms he was a member of the Kentucky Legislature and also served as justice of the peace and sheriff of Pulaski County. In the War of 1812 he was* actively engaged, as was also the father of his wife, whose maiden name was Fannie Dysart, a native Kentuckian. Her father, James Dysart, was one of the early settlers of Rock Castle County, where he owned large tracts of land. Our subject is one of eleven children, being one of the seven born of his father's first marriage. Three of each family are yet living.
As have been so many of our great American statesmen and professional men, Judge Cowan was reared on a farm. He became deputy clerk of the Pulaski County Court, when still quite young, and in 1846, entered the service in the war with Mexico He became Second Lieutenant in Company H, Fourth Kentucky Volunteers. He was in the city of Mexico when the news reached the army that peace had been declared. In 1848, after being mustered out at Louisville, Ky., he returned home, where he remained about two years. In 1850 he started for California, going by boat and other means of conveyance to Arrow Rock, Saline County, Mo., where he fitted up ox teams and started on the overland route by the old California trail, touching Fort Kearney, Fort Laramie, etc. On landing at Hangtown he engaged in prospecting and mining on the middle fork of the American River, remaining until 1853, when he started for home by way of the Isthmus.
In the fall of 1853 Judge Cowan came to Buchanan County, locating in Washington Township, where he purchased and improved a farm. He was Deputy-sheriff under Morgan and Ainsworth, and as such was acting when the war came on. During that time of business uncertainty he engaged in freighting across the plains to Colorado and Montana. At this time the Indians proved very troublesome as they took advantage of the fact that the soldiers were employed on southern battle fields and had little time to keep them in check. The dusky foes were a constant annoyance to the unlucky freighters, and like all who ventured to cross the plains, Judge Cowan had some very narrow and wonderful escapes.
In 1865 Judge Cowan returned to his farm in this county which he operated for nearly ten years. In November, 1874, he was elected a member of the County Court and served for two terms of two years each. In 1878 he was made clerk of the courts and has held that position continuously since. The Judge and his accomplished wife, who was formerly Miss Bettie Langford, have long moved in the best social circles of the city and are highly esteemed.
(Source: Portrait and Biographical Record of Buchanan and Clinton Counties, Missouri. Publ. 1893. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)

 

James CraigCraig, James, brigadier-general, was born in Pennsylvania, May 7, 1820.  he studied law and removed to St. Joseph, Mo., where he practiced his profession, and in 1847 was a member of the state legislature.  He was captain of the Missouri mounted volunteers in the Mexican war from Aug. 1847, until Nov. 1848, and then returning to Missouri, was from 1852 to 1856 state attorney for the 12th judicial circuit.  He served in Congress as a democrat from 1857 to 1861, and on March 21, 1862, was commissioned by President Lincoln, brigadier-general of volunteers.  This office he held until May 5, 1863, serving in the west, then resigned and was an unsuccessful candidate for election to the 47th Congress.  He was subsequently the first president of the Hannibal & St. Joseph railroad, and the first controller of St. Joseph.  He died in St. Joseph, Mo., Oct. 21, 1888.
(Source: The Union Army, Vol. VIII.  Page 79. Published 1908.)

 

Hon. George C. Crowther. The former representative from the Fourth Missouri District in Congress, Mr. George C. Crowther of St. Joseph, had a long and varied career, twenty-five years of which was continuously identified with this Northwest Missouri city. Mr. Crowther was one of the youngest soldiers on the Union side to fight the battles of freedom, learned the printer's trade when about thirteen years of age, was in newspaper work upwards of twenty years in many different localities, and for the past quarter of a century was in the foundry and machine business at St. Joseph. His death occurred on March 18, 1914.
George C. Crowther was born in England, at Ashton Underline, in Lancashire, January 26, 1848. His father, George Crowther, was born in Derbyshire, England, March 16, 1824. The paternal ancestry can be traced in a direct line from the time of William the Conqueror. George Crowther served an apprenticeship to the machinist trade, and worked along that line when in England till 1859, when, accompanied by his family, he came to America and located in Chicago, which was then a small city of not one-tenth the population and size it now possesses. In 1857 he moved out to Des Moines, Iowa. He went by train as far as Iowa City, then the western terminus, and from there with teams and wagons to Des Moines, the capital city then being isolated from communication by any railroad.
In Des Moines he established the first iron foundry west of the Mississippi River, and furnished the iron for the first state capitol built there. In 1859 he again moved West, moving with teams and wagons, and crossing the Missouri River at Sioux City, which was then a hamlet, he first entered into Nebraska and located Dakota City. He there, instead of setting up an iron working plant, engaged in the manufacture of earthenware. A year later found him in Council Bluffs, where he remained until 1861, then went to Leavenworth, Kansas, and in 1862 settled permanently at St. Joseph. There he became a member of the firm of Burnside, Crowther & Rogers, and continued as a foundry man until his death. He married Harriet Williamson Johnson, who was born in Lancashire, England. She reared five sons, namely: George C., Enos J., Seth Franklin, James C., and Ira M. The father was a Royal Arch Mason and a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.'
George C. Crowther was about five years old when the family crossed the Atlantic Ocean, and the first school he attended was in Chicago, at what was known as the Central School, which, though less than a mile from the post office, was then on the outskirts of the city. After that he was in school in the various localities in which his father resided, and while his period of attendance was comparatively abridged, he followed the trade and profession which made learning almost a necessity, and was always regarded as a man of superior attainments in that line. At Dakota City, Nebraska, he began learning the printer's trade in the office of the Dakota City Herald, and remained in that office about one year.
At Council Bluffs he was employed in the office of the Nonpareil, which was the first daily paper printed in Western Iowa. He was about thirteen years old at the time, and soon afterwards the war broke out. General G. M. Dodge was in Council Bluffs at the time, and the young printer suggested to him his desire to- enlist. The General told him to wait a while and grow some more. So he continued his work with the Nonpareil until 1862, and then went to Magnolia to take charge of a paper during the absence on account of sickness of the publisher. Six weeks later returning to Council Bluffs he was once more on the Nonpareil staff, but was a continual sufferer from the army fever. He thought that he could make himself useful in some way, and accordingly, one day, watched for a boat and with only five dollars in his pocket embarked on a steamer for St. Louis. On inquiring the amount of fare he was told four dollars, but the man selling tickets wrote a line and told him to give it to the steward, which he did. The steward informed him that they were to take on a regiment of soldiers to Leavenworth, and desired his services as a waiter at the table, offering him a good place to sleep and his board, besides two dollars in cash. On arriving in St. Louis the steward introduced the boy to the steward of a Tennessee River steamer, and in that way he found his opportunity to work his passage to Pittsburg Landing, it seemed, only a few weeks before the great battle of Shiloh.
On his arrival at the landing he learned the whereabouts of the Fourth Iowa Regiment of Infantry, and on reaching the regimental headquarters, while unable to enlist, he was furnished with a uniform and was made a handy boy among the men of the regiment. He was with the regiment at the battle of Farmington, though he had no arms, but after the engagement procured a rebel gun and ammunition and actually participated in the fight at Iuka. His stay with the regiment lasted about six weeks. In the meantime his father bad learned of his location and requested his return. The commanding officer ordered the boy sent back, and he was taken in charge by a recruiting officer and returned to Council Bluffs. Again he was a workman on the Nonpareil paper for a few weeks, but he soon heard of a company being recruited for the Sixth Missouri regiment, and just as the men started south he joined them and accompanied the regiment to Helena, Arkansas.
As a member of Company E he was with the command in what is known as Hovey's raid into Mississippi, an occasion in which they cut the lines of railway communication in Mississippi, and destroyed much hay, grain and provisions. The regiment after about six weeks returned to Helena, and there young Crowther found that his services could not be accepted on account of his extreme youth. Once more he was ordered home, and arrived the last of December in 1862. He was employed with the Nonpareil for a time, and then went to Magnolia and worked with the same paper with which he had worked two years before. On the 23d of May, 1863, being then fifteen years of age, Mr. Crowther enlisted in the Fourth Iowa Light Battery of Artillery.. The battery was sent to New Orleans, and he was with his command in various campaigns and engagements along the Gulf Cape until the regiment was mustered out on January 23, 1865.
Thus before he was seventeen years old he had become a veteran soldier, and it was always a source of pride to him and will be to his descendants to know that he bore a gallant part in the war for the integrity of the Union. On returning to Council Bluffs the Nonpareil once more had his services, but in 1866 he moved to Leavenworth and was employed by the Times and the Bulletin until 1867. Entering the field as an independent publisher, he issued the Kansas Radical at Manhattan, one year later bought the Marysville Enterprise and the Irving Recorder, and in a short time was closely identified with politics and public affairs in the sunflower state.
In 1869 he was appointed secretary of the Kansas State Senate, and by reappointment twice served six years. In the meantime, in 1871, Mr. Crowther went to what was then called New Chicago in Neosho County, where he established the New Chicago Transcript. The name of the town, which had just been started, has since become Chanute. At the end of two years Mr. Crowther moved his paper to Osage, the county seat, and continued his publication until he sold out two years later. In 1875 he went south, became a reporter in New Orleans, and a correspondent for the New York Times, and at the end of four months was made news editor on the New Orleans Picayune. While his father and other members of the family had for nearly twenty years been living in St. Joseph, George C. Crowther knew very little of the city until 1880, when he first identified in a business way with this community in connection with the Scott-Steward Printing Company.
However, after two years he went out to Topeka and leased the Grand Opera House of which he was manager one year. Until 1884 he was connected with the Springfield Republican at Springfield, Missouri, and was on the staff of the St. Louis Globe Democrat until 1886. In the latter year he returned to St. Joseph, and was afterward continuously identified with this city. The first year he was connected with the Sheridan Clayton Paper Company. In 1887, following the death of his father and brother, he assumed the management of the large foundry business which they in the meantime had built up, and devoted his chief efforts to this establishment.
In 1887 Mr. Crowther married Mary Morton Burgess, who was born in St. Joseph, a daughter of J. K. and Lucinda (Holladay) Burgess. Both the Burgess and Halliday family were of early Virginia ancestry and pioneers of Kentucky. The son of Mr. and Mrs. Crowther is George D. and the daughter is Audrey. They have membership in the Christian Church and the family are well known socially in St. Joseph.
Mr. Crowther' was long more or less active in public affairs, having through his newspaper work become acquainted and interested in politics and public men long before he came of age. The State of Iowa enacted a law permitting every Iowa soldier the right to vote for president, and under this law Mr. Crowther, though only fifteen years of age, passed his first vote for Abraham Lincoln in 1864. Besides the places already enumerated, he filled various offices of trust in the City of St. Joseph and Buchanan County. He was appointed deputy sheriff in 1887, in 1888 was elected city collector and treasurer, serving four years, and continued in the office two years as deputy. In 1892 he was candidate of the republican party in the Fourth Missouri district for Congress, and was defeated by only a few hundred votes in a year which gave large democratic majorities all over the country. In 1894 he was again the choice of his party and was elected and served in the Fifty-fourth Congress. In the party he served as delegate to a great many conventions, and assisted on the stump in many hard-fought campaigns. Fraternally he was affiliated with Golden Cross Lodge No. 143, Knights of Pythias, was a member of the Grand Lodge, and filled all the chairs in the local order.
[A History of Northwest Missouri, Volume 2; edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1918; Donated and Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack]

 

Rev. Richard J. Cullen. Putting his whole heart into his work, Rev. Father Richard J. Cullen. pastor of the St. Munchin's Catholic Church at Cameron, has won a warm place in the hearts of his parishioners, and gained the esteem and good will of the community in which he lives and labors. The original church building was erected in 1867 by Rev. Father Hogan, bishop of Kansas City, the pioneer mission priest of Northwestern Missouri. The present edifice was erected in 1903, at a cost of $15,000, and, with its seating capacity of 450 persons, is one of the largest and most beautiful church buildings in this section of the state. In close proximity to the church is the parsonage, which was built at a cost of $7,000, and, with the church, is kept in fine repair. Both are advantageously located in the best part of the city, and are conveniently reached by all.
Rev. Richard J. Cullen was born, June 27, 1854, in Essex County, Massachusetts, in the historic City of Salem, where the witchcraft delusion flourished in 1692.
His father, John Cullen, was born in County Kilkenny, Ireland, and as a young man immigrated to the United States, locating in Massachusetts. During the Civil war he enlisted in Company G, Eleventh Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry, and served for four years in defense of his adopted country, being twice wounded in battle. He married Mary Powers, who was also a native of Ireland, her birth having occurred in County Waterford.
Completing his early education in the public schools, Richard J. Cullen, who was a faithful and brilliant student, continued his studies in Montreal, Canada. On December 30, 1884, he was ordained there to the ministry by Archbishop Charles Fabre, of Montreal. He then located at St. Joseph, where he remained for fifteen months. He was then in Stanberry, Missouri, for three and a half years, after which he was called to Kansas City, where he remained as assistant pastor of the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception for two and one-half years. Going then to St. Joseph, Father Cullen had charge of the Holy Rosary Church for seven and one-half years. Since coming to Cameron he has labored faithfully in all the activities of the various societies of the parish, his advice and good counsel being invariably appreciated. A scholarly man and a deep student, his sincerity is evident, and he believes thoroughly in all of his works, both spiritual and corporal.
[A History of Northwest Missouri, Volume 2; edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1918; Donated and Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack]

 

Isaac Curd. Conspicuous among the intelligent and capable men who have been largely instrumental in promoting the business growth and prosperity of Buchanan County was Isaac Curd, whose death occurred on April 6, 1914. He had resided in Missouri from 1831 and in St. Joseph for sixty-four years. He was born in Chillicothe, Ohio, April 6, 1826, of pure Scotch ancestry, a descendant in the sixth generation from Joseph Curd, the immigrant, his line of descent being as follows: Joseph, Dr. Thomas, Isaac, Col. John, Dr. Isaac and Isaac.
Joseph Curd was born in 1695 and reared in the highlands of Scotland. As a young man he lived for a time in Edinburgh. The maiden name of his wife was Jeannette Blair, or Jennette Bain. Dr. Thomas Curd, a physician, was born in 1720 and went to Virginia in 1745, settling in Goochland County. He married Kathleen Price and spent his last years in Virginia. Isaac Curd married a Miss Morris. Col. John Curd, a native of Virginia, served as an officer in the Revolutionary Army. He married Nancy Underwood, and both spent their entire lives in Virginia. Dr. Isaac Curd was born in Goochland County, Virginia, June 5, 1783, and as a young man went to Philadelphia to attend medical lectures under Doctor Rush. Having received the degree of Doctor of Medicine he began the practice of his profession in his native county, remaining there until 1824. Settling then in Chillicothe, Ohio, he continued his practice there, in partnership with Doctor McDowell, for seven years. In 1831 Doctor Curd came with his family to Missouri, making the removal with teams and becoming a pioneer settler of Fulton, Callaway County. Leaving there in 1850, he located as a physician in St. Joseph, where his death occurred a few months later. His wife, whose maiden name was Jane Watkins, died in 1846. She reared eleven children, as follows: Catherine, John, Martha, Jane, Caroline, Thomas, Isaac, Edwin, Harriet, Martha, and Martha Jane Curd. Jane and Martha died before Martha Jane was born. Dr. Isaac Curd ranked as major in the War of 1812. His son John, a brother of the subject of this sketch, was a pioneer merchant of St. Joseph, where he carried on a good business until his death. He was a charter member of St. Joseph Lodge, A. F. & A. M., which for a number of years had jurisdiction extending to the Pacific coast. He was also one of the original directors of the Hannibal & St. Joseph Railroad, the first road built west of the Mississippi River.
Isaac Curd, of this review, was reared and educated in Fulton, Missouri, where his parents located when he was but five years old. At the age of sixteen years he went to Dubuque, then the largest city in the territory of Iowa, and there found employment as a clerk in a general store. The patronage was large, coming from a long distance, even as far north as the Hudson Bay territory. In 1849 Mr. Curd came to St. Joseph, which was at that time a frontier city, although it soon became a very busy place, many colonies stopping here to get supplies for themselves and teams when starting to cross the plains. He soon became associated in the mercantile business with his brother John, who had located here in 1843 and continued as a merchant until 1861. In the meantime Mr. Curd had acquired considerable real estate, and he afterward devoted his time and attention to his holdings, being at the time of his death one of the largest realty owners in the city. Mr. Curd lived to the venerable age of eighty-eight years, and, a great reader, in all these years he kept himself well informed on the topics of the day and took an active interest in community affairs.
Isaac T. Curd, a nephew of Isaac Curd, was born in Fulton, Callaway County, of honored colonial ancestry. A son of Edwin Curd and grandson of Dr. Isaac Curd, he is a lineal descendant of Joseph Curd, who emigrated from Scotland to America in colonial days, locating in Virginia.
Edwin Curd was born in Chillicothe, Ohio, and as a child was brought by his parents to Fulton, Missouri, where he acquired his education. In 1843 he went to Columbia, Missouri, to clerk for James Stevens, a merchant, and remained there six years. Joining a colony of gold seekers in 1849., he made an overland journey to California, crossing the plains and mountains with teams, and was engaged in mining until 1853, when he came home by way of the Isthmus. Spending a short time in Fulton, he next went to St. Louis, where he was engaged in the wholesale drug business for a year. Again ^becoming a resident of Fulton, he was there successfully engaged in the banking business for many years.
The maiden name of the wife of Edwin Curd was Harriet Webster. She was born in St. Louis, Missouri, a daughter of Ashbel and Julia (Strong) Webster. Ashbel Webster was a direct descendant of John Webster, distinguished as having been the fifth governor of the colony of Connecticut, the line of descent having been continued through Maj. Robert Webster and his wife, Susanna (Treat) Webster. The next in line was Benjamin Webster, who was a Revolutionary soldier in the company of Peter Buel, and married Lucretia Buel, and was then continued through Lowden Webster, who married Mary Ann Orton, they having been the parents of Ashbel Webster, and grandparents of Harriet Webster. Julia Strong, who became the wife of Ashbel Webster, was a daughter of John B. and Roxanna (Pease) Strong, and granddaughter of Adonijah Strong, a commissary general in the Revolutionary war. Her great-great-grandfather, Noah Strong, married Lydia Dart. He was a son of Preserved and Tabitha (Lee) Strong, and grandson of Elder John Strong, one of the founders of Hartford, Connecticut. Mr. and Mrs. Edwin Curd reared five children, as follows: Martha, Isaac T., Lillian W., Jessamine, and Jane T.
Having completed the course of study in the public schools of Fulton, Isaac T. Curd attended Westminster College. In 1891 he came to St. Joseph, and was here variously employed until 1898, when, doing just as his father had done nearly half a century before, he started westward in search of the precious metal, making his way to the territory of Alaska, where he spent nearly two years in exploring. Returning to St. Joseph in 1901, Mr. Curd has since been a resident of this city. He has inherited much of the business ability and judgment that marked his ancestors and kinsmen, and through his wise dealings has acquired title to much valuable realty in the city and its suburbs. Fraternally he is a member of Charity Lodge No. 331, Ancient Free and Accepted Order of Masons.
[A History of Northwest Missouri, Volume 2; edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1918; Donated and Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack]




BACK
Buchanan County, Missouri Genealogy Trails

©  by Genealogy Trails -  All Rights Reserved - With full rights reserved for original submitters


 

 

.