~ F ~
Ford. A man of great intelligence and broad capacity,
enterprising and progressive, now head of the Ford Investment Company,
holds a noteworthy position among the rising young business men of St.
Joseph. A son of the late Jacob M. and Nannie (Litsey) Ford, he was born
at Forest City, Missouri, December 20, 1883.
He laid a substantial
foundation for his future education in the public schools of St. Joseph,
and after receiving his diploma at the high school was fitted for college
at the Hotchkiss Preparatory School in Lakeville, Connecticut. He then
entered Yale University, from which he was graduated with the class of
1906. Returning then to St. Joseph, Mr. Ford entered the employ of the
Hundley Dry Goods Company, with which he was connected until 1910, when he
resigned his position to take charge of the Ford Investment Company, a
position of responsibility which he has since held.
Mr. Ford is a
member of the Benton Club, and is secretary and treasurer of the Country
Club. He also belongs to the Zeta Phi fraternity. On March 4, 1914, Mr.
Ford married Miss Mary Marjorie George, daughter of Harry L. and Maggie
(McDonald) George, a young woman with many prominent social connections in
[A History of Northwest Missouri, Volume 2; edited by
Walter Williams; Publ. 1918; Donated and Transcribed by Andrea Stawski
Jacob M. Ford. The life of
the late Jacob M. Ford, of St. Joseph, was a success, not accidental, but
deserved. His sure ascent of the ladder of fortune was the result of his
own labor and achievements, he having been the creator of the conditions
of his own advancement.
The birth of Jacob M. Ford occurred in Perry
County, Ohio, March 16, 1836. Completing his education in the public
schools, he served an apprenticeship at the blacksmith trade, which he
followed a few years. At the age of nineteen years he joined the tide of
emigration surging westward, and having located at New Point, Iowa, was
there engaged in blacksmithing until 1859. Desirous then-of changing both
his residence and occupation, he came to Missouri in search of a favorable
opening, and. having chosen Forest City for his location entered the
employment of John S. Brittain, who owned and operated a general store,
becoming a clerk in the establishment. In 1867 he became a member of the
firm, and later, buying out the interest of his partner, Mr. Brittain,
became sole proprietor of the store. In 1889 Mr. Ford removed with his
family to St. Joseph, and from that time until his death was an important
factor in promoting the business affairs of his adopted city. He was one
of the incorporators of the Saxton National Bank, and when, in 1896, the
Schuster National Banks were merged, he was made president of the
consolidated institution, which became the First National Bank. Retiring
from the office of president in 1907, he was made chairman of its board of
directors. Later, when the First National Bank and the Merchants Bank were
consolidated, he was elected vice president. He organized the Ford
Investment Company, and continued as its president until his death, May
The News-Press of that day, Saturday, May 17, 1913, speaks
of Mr. Ford in the following words:
"The rise of Mr. Jacob M. Ford was
rapid. When he removed from Iowa to Forest City he began as clerk in John
S. Brittain's store. At Forest City he was very successful. The country in
that section was being rapidly peopled, and the young merchant, by
industry and honesty, built up a large business. He started with little
capital, but was soon able to buy out his partner. He was always
scrupulously neat in his dress, and considered it a great asset in his
business. Profits in his business were from time to time invested in small
tracts of land, and these turned out at a good margin. Before very long he
was in a position to handle large tracts, and in a few years his wealth
was increasing rapidly. Then came the opportunity for him to come to St.
opportunity for which, it is said he had long been waiting,
and which he grasped as soon as offered. For a time after he had moved his
family here he continued the store at Forest City, but eventually disposed
of it, and gave his entire attention to his St. Joseph enterprises. He was
president of the Ford Investment Company, of which he and his son Frazer
held the most of the stock. This corporation was organized several years
ago for the purpose of handling Mr. Ford's properties. He was vice
president of the Battreal Shoe Company of which he was a large
Jacob M. Ford married, May 9, 1882, at Harrodsburg,
Kentucky, Miss Nannie Litsey, daughter of Jay and Emily (Bird) Litsey. Mr.
and Mrs. Ford reared three children, namely: Mary, wife of Harry
Broadhead, of Columbia; Frazer L., of whom a sketch appears elsewhere in
this volume; and Litsey, who died at the age of twenty-five
[A History of Northwest Missouri, Volume 2; edited by Walter
Williams; Publ. 1918; Donated and Transcribed by Andrea Stawski
HARRY D. FOSTER, of St. Joseph, is the
popular and efficient ticket auditor for the Missouri lines of the
Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad, an office for which
his natural ability peculiarly adapts him. His life affords another
illustration of the power of self-help and an example of what may be
accomplished by industry, perseverance and energy. From the humble
position of an office boy he has risen to a post of honor and trust, and
as he is a young man it is safe to predict that coming years will bring
him added honors.
Mr. Poster is a native of Downer's Grove, Ill., and
was born October 24, 1866. He conducted his studies in the common and high
schools of that city, being graduated from the latter at the age of
sixteen. In Chicago, April 4, 1888, he married Miss Lizzie M., daughter of
DeWitt C. and Isadore (Freeman) Wheeler, and they are the parents of two
children (twins), Lawrence Judson and DeWitt Clinton, who were born June
22, 1890. The family is well known in the social circles of St. Joseph,
and is highly regarded by the people of that city.
At the age of
sixteen Mr. Foster secured a position as office boy in the department of
the ticket auditor of the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad, and
after working in that way for a few months he was promoted to a clerkship,
in which capacity he was employed for nine years. Afterward he was chosen
chief clerk and held that responsible position for one year, having forty
men in his employ. July 1, 1892, he became ticket auditor at St. Joseph,
and now has under his supervision twenty clerks and assistants. He is a
young man of ability and genial manners, which win for him a host of warm
personal friends wherever he goes.
(Source: Portrait and Biographical
Record of Buchanan and Clinton Counties, Missouri. Publ. 1893. Transcribed
by Charlotte Slater)
J. H. FULLERTON is manager of the Fullerton
Lumber Company of St. Joseph, which succeeded the Chicago Lumber Company
in January, 1891. Our subject has attended to all the particulars of the
business, superintending the laborers in the yards, the bookkeepers and
clerks, and keeping track of the purchases and sales. This concern has
built up an extensive trade in this part of the West, making sales in all
of the surrounding country. Robert Fullerton, of Des Moines, Iowa, and S.
H. Fullerton, of Ate hi son, Kans., were proprietors of the Chicago Lumber
Company and had yards at St. Joseph for about ten years, or until it
passed into the hands of the Fullerton Lumber Company. The Chicago Lumber
Company owns about seventy yards in Kansas and Nebraska with headquarters
The lumber company of which our subject is manager is
composed of the following: James G. Fullerton, of Sioux City, Iowa; Thomas
Fullerton, of Mitchell, S. Dak., and George Fullerton, of St. Paul. The
central point of the company is at Sioux City, Iowa. They have from twelve
to fifteen lumber yards in Iowa and Dakota, and the one at St. Joseph is
the only yard belonging to the firm in Missouri.
The Fullerton family
are natives of Ireland, having been engaged in the lumber trade since
1866, starting in La Cygne, Ill., and for nine years have conducted their
business at Atchison, though they have carried on a Kansas trade since
1871. They have considerable money invested in stock at St. Joseph, and
carry everything usually kept by first class lumber firms.
Fullerton was born in Lame, County Antrim, Ireland, August 8, 1864, and
passed his boyhood and early youth in the Emerald Isle. When seventeen
years of age he crossed the broad Atlantic, and soon after his arrival in
the United States went to Des Moines, Iowa, where he obtained employment
with the Chicago Lumber Company. After a time he entered Simpson College
at Indianola, Iowa, taking a classical course, but left college when in
the senior class. Going to Mitchell, Dak., where a brother was engaged in
the lumber trade, he remained there for a while and then became manager of
a similar concern at Woonsocket, Dak., for two years. Next going to Sioux
Falls, he was in the employ of the same company for a year and then joined
the Chicago Lumber Company at Atchison, Kans., where he held a position
for three years and later was made general purchasing agent.
Fullerton is considered one of the enterprising and pushing young business
men of St. Joseph, and judging from what he has accomplished in the past
few years, it is safe to predict that he has a future of great promise
before him. He evinces unusual ability and good practical judgment as
applied to all departments and branches of the work coming under his
control. The company surely made no mistake when they assigned him this
important position, for he has more than justified the confidence bestowed
In politics Mr. Fullerton is a stanch supporter of the
Independent party. He has become quite interested and a believer in the
great future which is still in store for this rapidly advancing western
city, and as long as he is a resident of the place will use his best
endeavors in the furtherance of her plans for development.
Portrait and Biographical Record of Buchanan and Clinton Counties,
Missouri. Publ. 1893. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)
Dr. Frank H. Fulton, M. D.
A well-known and highly esteemed physician and surgeon of Clinton County,
F. H. Fulton, M. D., now located at Plattsburg, has won excellent success
in Ins professional work and well deserves the reputation he has gained
for medical skill and ability. A native of Clinton County, Missouri, he
was born November 8, 1862, a son of Washington R. Fulton.
Virginia, Washington R. Fulton was of English descent, his immigrant
ancestor having come to the United States from England in early Colonial
days. While yet a young man be came westward to Missouri, eventually
locating in Clinton County, where he spent the remainder of his life,
passing away at the age of seventy-two years. He married, in Clinton
County, Minerva Jones, who was born in Virginia, which was likewise the
birthplace of her father. She died at the age of sixty-five years. She was
a devoted wife and mother, and presided with gentle ease and generous
hospitality over the pleasant home which she and her good husband
established, the old house, with its open fireplace, though out plainly
furnished, being the happy gathering place of old and young. Mr. and Mrs.
Washington R. Fulton were the parents of three children, two of whom have
passed to the life beyond. Darthulia having died at the age of thirty
years, and Malvina when forty-two years of age.
Dr. Frank H. Fulton was
born and brought up on the home farm, and as a lad was taught to work, and
was well drilled in lessons of honesty and thrift. Rugged and healthy, he
was active in boyish sports and hardy games, developing a fine physique,
and now weighs 180 pounds,
his height being being five feet and eleven
inches, just two inches taller than his father was, their weight being the
same. Obtaining the rudiments of his education in the district schools, F.
H. Fulton afterwards attended the University of Missouri, in Columbia, and
was there graduated with the class of 1892, receiving the degree of M. D.
Doctor Fulton first located at Holt, Clay County, Missouri, where he had a
varied experience, some of it being pretty rough, but all of it of value
to him in his profession. During the winter and spring months the country
roads in that vicinity were nearly always bad, and he had many a long,
cold ride on horseback with his saddle-bags, often times going miles to
visit some poor patient from whom he neither expected nor wished for
financial reward. The doctor afterward settled in Lathrop, Clinton County,
from there coming to Plattsburg in 1908. A keen observer and close
student, he keeps in touch with the modern methods of medicine and
surgery, and is meeting with most flattering results in his
In Clinton County, Missouri, in 1885, Doctor Fulton married
Miss Fannie Bailey, a daughter of John Bailey, who was born in Missouri,
where his parents settled when coming from Kentucky, their native state.
The following children have blessed their union: Grace; Fulton; Bessie,
wife of Walter Momyes, of Kansas City, Missouri; and Mallice.
History of Northwest Missouri, Volume 2; edited by Walter Williams; Publ.
1918; Donated and Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack]
Claude Funkhouser. As
president of the Clay & Funkhouser Banking Company, of Plattsburg,
Claude Funkhouser is at the head of one of the oldest and strongest
financial institutions of northwestern Missouri, this company having been
first organized in 1864, a full half century ago. On June 10, 1886, it was
reorganized as a state bank, and under the efficient management of its
successive officers and directors has carried on a substantial and
prosperous business ever since. A son of the late J. A. J. Funkhouser,
Claude Funkhouser was born in Augusta County, Virginia, September 9, 1875,
coming on the paternal side from Swiss and German ancestry.
J. A. J.
Funkhouser was born, reared and educated in Virginia, being descended from
a family noted for its patriotism, integrity and business qualifications.
As a young man he served in the Confederate army as scout and courier
under that brave officer, Gen. Stonewall Jackson. In 1884 he came with his
family to Missouri, settling in Plattsburg, Clinton County, where he
carried on a substantial hardware business until 1895, and from then on
was connected with the electric lighting business until his death, in
1898, at the comparatively early age of fifty-three years. He was a man of
stanch integrity and much respected throughout the community.
Politically he was identified with the democratic party, and
religiously he was an active member of the Presbyterian church, which he
served as an elder for many years. His wife, whose maiden name was Alice
Hanger, was born in Augusta County, Virginia, of Scotch-Irish ancestry, a
sister of Col. James E. Hanger, who served as an officer in the
Confederate army during the Civil war, and is now a resident of
Washington, D. C. She survived her husband several years, passing away in
May, 1905, leaving two children, namely: Joel, vice president of the Clay
& Funkhouser Banking Company; and Claude, the special subject of this
brief sketch. She was a woman of true Christian character, and a
consistent member of the Presbyterian church.
A boy of nine years when
he came with his parents to Plattsburg, Claude Funkhouser completed the
course of study in the public schools, and subsequently attended the old
Plattsburg College and the Washington and Lee University in Lexington,
Virginia. In 1895 Mr. Funkhouser accepted a position in the bank with
which he has since been connected, and has served in various capacities,
in 1912 having been made president of the institution, which has a capital
and surplus of $100,000.
Mr. Funkhouser married, October 12, 1904, Miss
Julia Wynkoop Jordan, who was born in Mount Jackson, Virginia, the
descendant of an old and prominent family of that vicinity. During the
Civil war her father, Dr. L. H. Jordan, rendered distinguished service in
the Confederate army, not only as a member of the staff of Gen. Stonewall
Jackson, but as a surgeon under the same brave commander. Mr. and Mrs.
Funkhouser have one child, Julia Elizabeth, born in 1912.
member of the Masonic fraternity, Mr. Funkhouser belongs to Plattsburg
Lodge, No. 113, Ancient Free and Accepted Order of Masons; to Plattsburg
Chapter, No. 120, Royal Arch Masons; to Plattsburg Commandery, No. 62,
Knights Templar; and to Moila Temple, Ancient Arabic Order of the Nobles
of the Mystic Shrine, at St. Joseph, Missouri. True to the religious faith
in which they were reared, both Mr. and Mrs. Funkhouser are members of the
Presbyterian church, in which he is a deacon.
[A History of
Northwest Missouri, Volume 2; edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1918;
Donated and Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack]
Missouri Genealogy Trails
© by Genealogy
Trails - All Rights Reserved - With full rights reserved
for original submitters.