Buchanan County, Missouri
Biographies
~ H ~



William H. Hamby.
Among the professional literary men of Missouri still in the full sway of their productive career, the best known is William H. Hamby, of Chillicothe. Mr. Hamby's success has been won in this state, and as yet he has resisted the influences which call many men of less degree of success to the great Eastern cities.
William H. Hamby was born and reared in the Ozarks, and many of his stories are laid in that section. However, he is an adopted North Missourian, having lived in the northwest part of the state for the last ten years. He is one of the four or five Missouri writers who make literature their sole profession, and for several years he has made magazine writing and book writing profitable. During that time Mr. Hamby has contributed to practically all the leading magazines, including the Century, World's Work, Saturday Evening Post, Life, Woman's Home Companion, Ladies' Home Journal, Popular Magazine, Collier's, Harper's Weekly, and Youth's Companion, and is a regular editorial writer for the last four. He has two published books—" Getting and Holding," a work for teachers, issued by the Sunday School Times Company of Philadelphia, and "Tom Henry of Wahoo County," issued by the Westminster Press of Philadelphia.
Like John Breckenridge Ellis and many others, Mr. Hamby has found literature an exacting task master, and wrote a long time before meeting with any degree of success. But as his work has grown every year since he finally began to arrive, there are' hopes for his future. Mr. Hamby is a member of the Authors' League of America and appears among the notables in "Who is Who in America."
[A History of Northwest Missouri, Volume 2; edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1918; Donated and Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack]

 

Henry M. Hansen; A man of unquestioned executive and business ability, Henry M. Hansen was identified with, the railway service of Missouri and adjacent states in his earlier life, later being associated with the business interests of St. Joseph, where he is now living, retired from active pursuits. He was born July 5, 1851, in the City of Cologne, capital of the administration district of Cologne, in Rhine Province, Prussia, which was likewise the birthplace of his father, Henry Hansen, and the city in which his paternal grandparents, Peter and Margaret Hansen, spent their last years.
Henry Hansen was born November 25, 1814, and after completing his early studies served an apprenticeship at the cabinet maker's trade in Cologne. He and his sister Helen were the only members of the parental household to come to America, she subsequently marrying Antoine Seiger, of New York City. Emigrating to America in 1852, Henry Hansen stopped for a brief time in New York City, and then went to Norwich, Chenango County, New York, where his family joined him in 1853, and was there engaged at his trade until 1871. Starting westward in that year, he lived for a few months in Kansas, and then located in St. Joseph, where he spent his remaining days, passing away November 25, 1884, on the seventieth anniversary of his birth. His wife, whose maiden name was Margaret Andries, was born in Coblentz, Germany, and died in Norwich, New York, aged fifty-six years. She was the mother of five children, as follows: Joseph, Annie Margaret, Ernest, Henry M., and Clara. Annie Margaret is the wife of David J. Pritchard, of St. Joseph. Ernest lives in Houston, Texas. Clara married William L. Joyce, of St. Joseph.
Having been very young when brought to this Country; Henry M. Hansen has no recollection of the fatherland. He acquired his elementary education in the public schools of Norwich, New York, after which he continued his studies in New York City for two years, and then learned telegraphy in Norwich. Leaving home in 1868, Mr. Hansen journeyed as far westward as Leavenworth, Kansas, where he was employed as clerk in a railroad office for eighteen mouths. Coming then to St. Joseph, Missouri, he was for two years cashier of the Missouri Valley Railroad, now a part of the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy system. Afterwards going to Richmond, Mr. Hansen was agent for the St. Joseph & St. Louis Railroad for two years, when he was transferred to Lathrop. From that place he went to Atchison, Kansas, as clerk for the master mechanic of the Central Branch Railroad, now a part of the Missouri Pacific system.
One year later Mr. Hansen resigned that position to become chief clerk of the Kansas City, St. Joseph & Council Bluffs Railway, with which he was associated for a year. He then accepted the position of chief clerk and cashier of the Hannibal & St. Joseph Railroad, and a year later was made agent for the Grand Island Railroad at Hastings, Nebraska. At the end of two years he was transferred to Hanover, Kansas, and a year-later came to St. Joseph as bookkeeper for the Hansen Gregg Grain Company. The following year Mr. Hansen was made freight and ticket auditor for the St. Joseph & Grand Island Railroad Company, and remained in St. Joseph until that road became a part of the Union Pacific system, when he was transferred to Omaha. He was in the general office in that city six months, when he was transferred to St. Joseph, and for one and one-half years was cashier of the Union Pacific & Missouri Pacific Railroad. He was then general agent, passenger and ticket department, for the Union Pacific Railroad, with headquarters at St. Joseph, for two years, when he resigned the position to engage in the coal and ice business. After two years he had the business incorporated as the Hansen Coal & Ice Company, of which he was first made secretary, later becoming president, an office that he filled most creditably until 1913, when he disposed of his interests in the concern, and has since lived retired from active business.
Mr. Hansen married, in 1880, Minnie Hughes Gower, who was born in Kentucky, a daughter of Alexander and Emma (Montague) Gower. Mrs. Hansen passed to the life beyond in September, 1888 and now his sisters preside over his pleasant home, at the corner of Eleventh and Charles streets. Fraternally Mr. Hansen is a member of Frontier Lodge No. 104, Ancient Free and Accepted Order of Masons, at Washington, Kansas, and of St. Joseph Commandery No. 4, Knights Templar. He is a member of Christ Episcopal Church, of which Mrs. Hansen was also a communicant.
[A History of Northwest Missouri, Volume 2; edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1918; Donated and Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack]

 

Charles A. Harvey. One of the most satisfactory business connections that can anywhere exist is that between father and son, the elder man giving of his vast experience and the knowledge that may only be gained through years of daily contact with the daily problems of life, while the younger contributes his enthusiasm, energy and youthful strength, the combination forming a force that is not easily resisted. A. F. and Charles A. Harvey, father and son, of Maysville, Missouri, are among the best known business men of De Kalb County, and are in control of large interests owned by the father, the younger man at this time acting as assistant and private secretary. A. F. Harvey has long been identified with those things which have made for the business growth and development of this part of the state, where he owns large tracts of valuable farming land as well as realty interests in business and residential sections of Camden Township.
Charles A. Harvey was born in the City of Maysville, which is the county seat of De Kalb County, January 26, 1887, and is a son of A. F. and Kate C. (Wade) Harvey. His early education was obtained in the public schools of Maysville, and in the class of 1906 he was graduated from the local high school. At that time he started to learn the trade of printer, which he followed for several years, winning promotion through his energy, skill and fidelity to duty, and acting as foreman in the shops of several of Maysville's printing establishments. He has always had a leaning toward literary and newspaper work, and in the fall of 1908, in order to advance himself along this line, became a student in the School of Journalism of the University of Missouri, from which institution he was graduated in the spring of 1912, with the degree of Bachelor of Science in Journalism. Returning to his home, Mr. Harvey associated himself with his father in the capacity of private secretary.
Mr. Harvey is a young man of enterprise, ambition and up-to-date ideas, and if his past achievements and progress prophesy aught, his future is assured. He takes an intelligent interest in matters which affect the welfare of his community and endeavors to assist the advancement of its affairs in every way. He has a wide acquaintance in Maysville, where his entire life has been spent, is the center of a large circle of friends, and has been prominent in fraternal matters, being a member of Parrott Lodge No. 308, A. F. & A. M., and Russell Chapter No. 77, R. A. M. #
[A History of Northwest Missouri, Volume 2; edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1918; Donated and Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack]

 

George Michael Hauck, late of St. Joseph, was for many years intimately identified with the milling and manufacturing interests of Buchanan County, and was widely known as president of the Hauck Milling Company. A native of Germany, he was born June 23, 1831, at Steinweiller, Germany, a son of Jacob and Anna Marie Hauck.
Jacob Hauck was reared and educated in Germany, and as a young man learned the carpenter's trade. In July, 1831, he started for America, accompanied by his wife and children. Crossing the ocean in a sailing vessel, he was about three months on the water before reaching New Orleans. Going by boat from that city to Cincinnati, he was there successfully engaged in contracting and building until his death, which was caused by an accident, in 1840. His widow survived him many years. They were the parents of five children, as follows: Mary Ann, Jacob, Mary Elizabeth, George Michael, and Katherine.
George Michael Hauck was but three weeks old when his parents embarked for America, and but nine years of age when left fatherless. He subsequently went to Indiana to live with an elder sister, and there completed his school life in Lawrenceburg, where he received excellent educational advantages. In 1852, lured by the wonderful tales told by the gold hunters, he joined a colony of one hundred and fifty men and started for the pacific coast, going by boat to Independence, and from there making an overland trip across the plains and over the mountains, the food and necessary baggage being carried in wagons drawn by oxen. The little band was several months en route, and at least half of the men perished on the way. Arriving in California Mr. Hauck met with good success as a miner, and would have remained there if his mother had not importuned him to return. Coming back by way of the Isthmus of Panama and New York, he embarked in milling at his old home in Lawrenceburg, Indiana, where he remained until 1865. In that year Mr. Hauck came to St. Joseph, which was then a small city, just recovering from the effects of the war. With his brother Jacob he built the Excelsior Flour Mill, which they operated as partners until Mr. Hauck bought out his brother's interest and became sole proprietor. He afterwards organized the Hauck Milling Company, of which he was made president, a responsible position which he filled successfully and satisfactorily until his death, which occurred December 26, 1910.
Mr. Hauck married, May 16, 1869, Katherine Wagner, who was born at Framersheim, Hessen Darmstadt, Germany, October 23, 1845. Her father, William Wagner, was born, bred and educated in the same locality. He was for seven years a soldier in the German Army, serving during the Revolution of 1848. He was a weaver by occupation, and followed that trade during his life, which was spent in the fatherland. The maiden name of the wife of Mr. Wagner was Sybella Martenstein. She was born in Odenheim, Germany, and was there brought up and educated. Mrs. Hauck still occupies the pleasant home built by her husband on Second street, and, surrounded by her loving children and grandchildren, is enjoying all the comforts of life.
Five children were born of the union of Mr. and Mrs. Hauck, namely: Ida Elizabeth, Anna Sylvia, Matilda Katherine and two that died young. Ida E. married Albert C. Muench, and they have four sons, George, Edwin, Albert and Franklin. Anna S. is the wife of John W. Gross, and has two children, Katherine M. and Everett J. Matilda K. married Frank Wuerth, and has two children, Harry L. and Bernice Marie.
Fraternally Mr. Hauck was a member of Humboldt Lodge of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and at the time of his death was the second oldest Odd Fellow in Missouri. He had also been a member of the Masonic fraternity for many years. He served as city collector, and also as chief of the Volunteer Fire Department. Mrs. Hauck is a devoted member of the German Methodist Episcopal Church.
[A History of Northwest Missouri, Volume 2; edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1918; Donated and Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack]

 

Walter W. Head. As cashier of the German-American National Bank of St. Joseph, Walter W. Head is reckoned among the rising young bankers of Northwest Missouri, as well as one of the most enterprising and valuable citizens the city claims today. He was born at Adrian, Hancock County, Illinois, on December 10, 1877, and is a son of Alfred W. and Margaret J. (Lambert) Head. The father was a man of Scotch and German descent, while the mother comes of English parentage, her family having long been established in Lancashire, England. In 1885 the parents of the subject came to Missouri, settled in DeKalb County, and there they have continued to reside. They are now living retired after active lives devoted to the farming industry.
Walter W. Head had his early education in the schools of DeKalb County, and he was graduated there from in 1894, with the highest honors of his class. He then entered Stanberry Normal School, and in 1897 was graduated. During the five years that followed he was engaged in teaching in the schools of DeKalb and Buchanan counties, and during the last year of his pedagogic work he was principal of the DeKalb Public Schools. While teaching, Mr. Head took a very prominent part in the work of the Teachers' Institute, and instructed institutes in the year 1900 and 1901.  One of them was in DeKalb and the other was in Buchanan County, and each of them was attended by a hundred teachers of the respective counties. His educational work was of a high order and gained much praise for him during the brief space he devoted to it. Had he elected to continue in the teaching profession, it is more than probable that he would have reached a high place in educational circles as the exponent of public school instruction, but he chose another field for the exercise of his talents.
In 1903 Mr. Head served for ten months as receiving teller in the German National Bank of St. Joseph, that service being preliminary to his acceptance of the post of cashier of the DeKalb State Bank of DeKalb, Missouri, a new organization that entered upon its business career on August 21, 1904, and to which he had been elected cashier, despite the fact of his very limited banking experience.
In June, 1906, Mr. Head resigned his position as cashier of the DeKalb State Bank, having been appointed by Hon. John E. Swinger, secretary of the State of Missouri, to the office of state bank examiner for a term of four years. In June 1908, he resigned the office of state bank examiner to accept the position of cashier of the German-American National Bank of St. Joseph, which position he still holds.
Other banking connections of Mr. Head's are the vice presidency of the Drovers & Merchants Bank of St. Joseph and a number of smaller banks throughout the state, which claim his attention as stockholder or official, or both. He is vice president of the St. Joseph Life Insurance Company.
Mr. Head is a member of the republican state committee. He attends the First Christian Church of St. Joseph and is prominently identified with numerous fraternal and purely social orders. The Masonic fraternity claims him as a member in many of its bodies, and he has held offices in practically all of them. He is past master of DeKalb Lodge No. 22, A. F. & A. M.; past high priest of Ringo Chapter No. 6, Royal Arch Masons; member of Hugh de Payens Commandery No. 51, Knights Templar; member of St. Joseph Council No. 9, Royal and Select Masters; potentate of Moila Temple, Ancient Arabic Order of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine; member of all the Scottish Rite bodies and a member of St. Joseph Consistory No. 4, A. A. S. R., of Thirty-second Degree Masons. He is past noble grand of DeKalb Lodge No. 191, Independent Order of Odd Fellows; past consul of DeKalb Camp No. 5256, Modern Woodmen of America; member of Charity Lodge No. 220, Knights of Pythias; member of the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks No. 40 of Sit Joseph, and a life member of St. Joseph Lodge No. 315, Loyal Order of Moose. Those organizations of St. Joseph of a purely social nature with which he is identified are the St. Joseph Country Club, the Highland Golf and Country Club of St. Joseph, the Benton Club of St. Joseph, and the St. Joseph Automobile Club, of which he is a director.
He is also a member and director of the St. Joseph Commerce Club, and he was president of the St. Joseph Interstate Fair Association in 1913 and 1914. In all of these clubs and societies he is popular and prominent, and he has a wider circle of friends in the city than perhaps any other man who might be mentioned, by reason of his many sterling traits of character, his genial good fellowship, and his hearty and wholesome interest in all matters that make for the betterment of local conditions along whatever lines.
On March 7, 1900, Mr. Head was married to Miss Delia E. Thompson, a daughter of John E. and Roxcelana (Dittemote) Thompson, who were among the early pioneer families of Buchanan County. Mr. and Mrs. Head have one daughter—Audrey Vernelle Head.
[A History of Northwest Missouri, Volume 2; edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1918; Donated and Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack]

 

Granville M. Hiett. Among the native born citizens of Clinton County. Missouri, who have spent their lives within its precincts, aiding in every possible way its growth and development, whether relating to its agricultural or financial interests, stands Granville M. Hiett, of Plattsburg, vice president of the Trimble Bank, and the owner of a fine farm lying in that vicinity. Coming from excellent Virginian ancestry, he was born, March 2, 1837, three miles south of Plattsburg, in the log cabin situated on the farm of his father, the late William Hiett.
Born and bred in North Carolina, William Hiett later moved to Virginia. He there married, in Grayson County, Jeston Jones, a daughter of Churchwell Jones, a native of Virginia. Migrating to Missouri, he bought land in Clinton County, near Plattsburg. and immediately began the pioneer task of clearing and improving a farm from its original wildness. He died while yet in the prime of life, leaving two children, namely, the late Mrs. Rebecca J. Bean and Granville M., the special subject of this brief biographical sketch. His wife's death occurred previous to his, she passing away while her children were small.
Being left an orphan when a small lad, Granville M. Hiett was brought up by his maternal grandparents on a Clinton County farm, receiving his education in the old log schoolhouse, with its puncheon floor and slab seats, while at home he was well trained in habits of industry and honesty. On attaining his majority, Mr. Hiett assumed possession of the farming estate left by his father and engaged in agricultural pursuits on his own account.
In 1906 he traded that farm of 162 acres for his present farm of 400 acres, advantageously located near Trimble, where his son has since resided, and on which he has made substantial improvements. It is especially well adapted for stock feeding and raising, and is now under the able management of his son, Newton, who is meeting with unquestioned success as a farmer and stock-raiser.
Mr. Hiett married, May 17, 1866, Caroline Shaver, of Clinton County, a daughter of Berryman and Susan (Trout) Shaver, who were early pioneers of this part of Missouri. Mr. Shaver is now living, a venerable and highly respected man of ninety-two years, but Mrs. Shaver has passed to the life beyond. Mr. and Mrs. Hiett, who own and occupy a tine and well furnished residence on Clay Avenue, have three living children, namely: Isaac Newton, who operates the home farm; William B., a well-known wholesale merchant of Los Angeles, California; and Mrs. Susan J. Culver, of Plattsburg, Missouri. They lost one son, Charles S. Mr. and Mrs. Hiett are valued members of the Christian Church, of which he has been an elder. Together they have trod life's pathway for forty-eight years, and though at times troubles, trials and tribulations have beset them, their days of sunshine have far outnumbered those of shadow, peace, happiness and content reigning supreme in their pleasant home.
[A History of Northwest Missouri, Volume 2; edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1918; Donated and Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack]

 

Ethan Allen Hofstatter. In Ethan Allen Hofstatter, Northwest Missouri has an able conservator of her agricultural interests, as well as faithful promoter of those important adjuncts to community life, good roads and good schools. Various enterprises which have promoted the welfare of his community have had the benefit of his able support and good judgment, including the De Kalb County Telephone Company, of which he is president of the board of directors, and as proprietor of the Poland-China Stock Farm, a tract of 180 acres, lying four and one-half miles east of Maysville, in Adams Township, he is known as a substantial agriculturist and raiser of stock. Mr. Hofstatter was born near Lake Geneva, Walworth County, Wisconsin, December 18, 1861, and is a son of Adam and Lydia (Rouse) Hofstatter.
The parents of Mr. Hofstatter were natives of New York State, where both families were well and favorably known, and they received their educational training and were married. Shortly after their union, in 1844, they moved to Wisconsin, which state continued to be their home until 1869, in which year they came to De Kalb County, Missouri, and here continued to follow agricultural pursuits during the remainder of their lives, the father passing away in 1907, and the mother December 31, 1889. They were honorable, God-fearing people and devout members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, in the faith of which their children were reared. The father was an industrious farmer, and his energetic efforts were supplemented by those of his wife, who ever proved a worthy helpmate. They were the parents of nine children, of whom four are living at this time, namely: George F.; Esther J., who is the wife of Albert Craig; Mary A., who is the wife of W. J. Scott; and Ethan Allen.
Ethan A. Hofstatter was reared on the homestead place in Adams Township, De Kalb County, from the time he reached the age of eight years. He secured ordinary educational advantages, like the other farmers' sons of his locality attending the district school during the winter terms and spending the greater part of the rest of the year in assisting in the work of the home place. At the age of twenty-one years he commenced farming operations on his own account and since that time this has continued to be his vocation, in which he has achieved well deserved success. He was just past his majority when, January 7, 1883, he was married to Sarah E. Daniel, who was born in Ohio and educated in the public schools of that state. For a time after their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Hofstatter were renters, but through industry and perseverance they finally accumulated the means to purchase forty acres of land, which formed the nucleus for Mr. Hofstatter's present fine property, widely known as the Poland-China Stock Farm.
This tract of 180 acres is in a fine state of cultivation, and everything about it gives evidence of the presence of thrift, progressive methods and good management. Although he has made a specialty of Poland-China hogs, Mr. Hofstatter has raised stock of all kinds, and also has met with much success in his general farming operations. He is widely known in business circles, and among his associates is held in the highest confidence,»they recognizing and appreciating his excellent ability and good judgment. 1ie was one of the foremost in the organization of the De Kalb County Telephone Company, became a member of the board of directors, and was finally chosen president of the board, a position which he now occupies. Although not a politician in the generally accepted sense, he has interested himself to some extent in the affairs of republicanism and has discharged the duties of citizenship as a member of the board of township trustees. Fraternally, Mr. Hofstatter is connected with the local lodge of the Modern Woodmen of America. Reared in the faith of the Methodist Episcopal Church, he has endeavored to live up to its teachings, and is now a steward, class leader and worker in the Sunday School of the Church of Mount Pleasant.
Three children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Hofstatter, namely: Lester L., a graduate of the common schools, who attended Cameron College, is now a farmer of Adams Township; Vernie M., who is the wife of John W. Whitaker, an agriculturist of this township; and Muriel L., a graduate of the common schools who is single and resides with her parents.
[A History of Northwest Missouri, Volume 2; edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1918; Donated and Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack]

 

CHRISTIAN A. HUBACHER has been prominently identified with many of St. Joseph's business interests and is a respected and highly esteemed gentleman, both in business and other circles. Mr. Hubacher was born in Fraubrenen, Canton Berne, Switzerland, January 27, 1843, and came to the United States with his parents, Christian and Catherine Hubacher, when only four years of age. They landed in New Orleans in 1848 and soon after proceeded up the Mississippi river to St Louis. In 1849 they came to St. Joseph, where our subject received his education.
When only thirteen years of age Mr. Hubacher started to make his own living, working for some years as a clerk with the grocery firm of Bell & Goodlive, and later was for seven years in the employ of H. R. W. Hartwig. For three years he lived in Montana, going to Virginia City in company with James Wilson, with whom he kept a store {or about a year. During this time, though he was not a member of the committee he acted with the Yigilants and witnessed the hanging of Slade as well as five men who were hung at one time. He spent a few weeks in Salt Lake City, and then returned to Montana where he engaged in business, re-entering this State in 1865. After leaving the employ of Hartwig & Company he was manager of the Eagle Mills for eight years for the State's Saving Bank. Afterward, in company with E. M. Ray, our subject purchased a lumber yard, attending closely to the business for three years and then retiring.
In company with R. H. Faucett Mr. Hubacher purchased the Eagle Mill and was a junior member of the firm of the R. H. Faucett Milling Company for two years, during which time they remodeled and rebuilt the mill. At the end of that time one subject retired from the business, this being May 15, 1890, when he became manager of Huttig Bros. Manufacturing Company, Sash, Doors and Blinds. This company has its headquarters at Muscatine, Iowa, with warerooms and distributing points for Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa and Missouri. With this concern he continued until February 1, 1893, when he retired from the management.
In Holt County, Mo., occurred the marriage of Mr. Hubacher and Miss Hannah L. Schmidt on May 3, 1869. Mrs. Hubacher, who is a native of St. Louis, has become the mother of nine children, of whom seven are living, namely: Theodore R., Harry, Charles E., who is with the firm of Huttig Bros.; Albert, who is engaged with Richardson, Roberts, Byrne & Company; Edith, Clara, Bertha, Edna and Edward. The family are members of the German Presbyterian church. Our subject is a director in the Saxton National Bank; is politically a Republican, and was formerly active in local affairs. He was made a Mason in the St. Joseph Lodge, No. 78, which-was the first lodge organized west of St. Louis, this being in 1866. He is Past Master and attended Grand Lodge. In charitable work he has been much interested and is President of the Board of Relief of St Joseph. He holds membership with St. Joseph Chapter, No. 14, and St. Joseph Council, No. 9, being also a charter member of the Pride of the West Lodge, No. 42, Ancient Order United Workmen, one of the first to obtain prominence in this locality.
(Source: Portrait and Biographical Record of Buchanan and Clinton Counties, Missouri. Publ. 1893. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)

 

Miss Ora Hudson. No history of Northwest Missouri and the people who have contributed to its growth and development and are maintaining through their labors and services its continued prosperity and progress would be complete were not mention made of those of the gentler sex. From pioneer days the women have borne their full share of the burdens of citizenship and have fought side by side with the men who have accomplished things, the latter in large part securing all the credit. In these modern days when equal suffrage is beginning to receive recognition, we find women of ability, judgment, resource and acumen, holding positions that formerly were given only to men, and holding them well, discharging their duties practically and efficiently and giving of their best in the advancement of their communities' welfare.
In this connection it may not be inappropriate to sketch briefly the career of Miss Ora Hudson, cashier of the Bank of Weatherby, Missouri, and a thoroughly capable and level-headed business woman. She is a product of the farm, having been born on her father's homestead in Adams Township, De Kalb County, Missouri, November 19, 1877, and is a daughter of J. M. and Fannie (Oldham) Hudson, who are now residents of Oklahoma. Miss Hudson was reared amid rural surroundings and secured a good, practical education in the district schools of her native community, this being supplemented by one term in the Marysville school.
In 1884 she was brought to Weatherby, where the Bank of Weatherby was organized in 1893, and in 1896 she was given the position of assistant cashier, which she held until being elected cashier in 1906. Subsequently she purchased stock in the business, and at this time is a member of the board of directors, her fellow-members often looking to her for advice and counsel in matters of importance. The full list of this, one of the strongest of De Kalb County's bank's officers follows: Paul Riggs, president; Bennette Riggs, vice president; Ora Hudson, cashier; James R. Jones, assistant cashier, and Paul and Bennette Riggs, W. W. Stegall, E. E. DeHart and Miss Ora Hudson, directors. The bank has a capital stock of $10,000, and its surplus is $15,000.
Miss Hudson entered the banking institution entirely upon her own initiative and depended upon her own ability to win her recognition from those with whom she was associated. How well she has succeeded has been shown. Since her fifteenth year she has been wrapped up in the bank's interests, has practically grown up with it and has prospered as it has. Few ladies are better known in the community of Weatherby, and none have gained a higher place in general public esteem. She has at all times had sincere faith in the future of Weatherby and has given evidence of this by her investments in realty here, which include her own comfortable home.
[A History of Northwest Missouri, Volume 2; edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1918; Donated and Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack]

 

Joseph E. Hunt. Since 1910 in the office of county clerk of Buchanan County, Joseph E. Hunt has had a long record of official duty and capable public service in this county, and by his fidelity to his obligations, his public spirited citizenship, and ability has won the confidence of the people and is one of the best known citizens of St. Joseph and the county.
Joseph E. Hunt was born at Hydetown in Western Pennsylvania. His father was Byron Hunt, who was born at Jamestown, New York, in 1842, was reared and educated in that state, learned the trade of stone mason, took up building and contracting, and finally moved from New York to Hydetown, Pennsylvania. Then in 1865 he went west, to Buchanan County, Missouri, which remained his home until 1868. Having received a contract for the construction of the Keystone Mills, he in that year went to Rock Falls in Whiteside County, Illinois, but died in the same year before he had finished his contract. He married Rose Connell, who was born in Maryland, a daughter of Lawrence and Mary Connell, both of whom were natives of Ireland and on emigrating to- the United States made the voyage on board a sailing vessel which was six weeks in reaching the American shore, and after their arrival they lived a time in Maryland and from there moved to Cattaraugus, New York. In 1865 the Councils went west and located in Buchanan County, where the father bought land a mile and a half southeast of Saxton.
In 1868 he also moved to Rock Falls, Illinois, but in a few years returned to Buchanan County and again purchased land near Saxton, where he remained engaged in general farming and stock raising until his death. Lawrence Connell, though he lived the quiet life of a farmer and was never prominent in public affairs, was a notable character, and particularly for his physical strength and his longevity. Though less than five feet ten inches high, he had a bust measurement of forty four inches and the general vigor of his constitution is best evidenced in the fact that he lived to be 104 years of age. His wife by comparison was quite young when she died at the age of eighty-nine. Rose Connell Hunt after the death of her first husband married John Lynch, a farmer of Buchanan County, who died November 21, 1913. She still lives on the old farm near Saxton. Her son, Joseph, was the only child of the first marriage, and she has four children by Mr. Lynch.
Joseph E. Hunt first went to school in a log house at Ebenezer, and subsequently had the advantages of a "little red school house" in the same locality, and also attended school at Walnut Grove. At the age of thirteen he had to become self-supporting and since then has made his own way in the world and his successful position is due to the innate qualities of his character. While at work on a farm as a laborer, he received wages of ten dollars a month and board, and got more as his capacity for usefulness increased. In 1885 he entered the employ of the Rock Island Railroad Company, hut after thirteen months railroading he found a position in the factory of R. L. McDonald, and continued regular employment in that industry for seventeen years. He resigned to accept the position of deputy county clerk, and as a deputy he familiarized himself with the duties of the office and was well qualified for the position of chief clerk, to which he was elected in 1910.
Mr. Hunt on December 6, 1885, married Mattie Meers. She was born in Buchanan County, a daughter of Thomas and Matilda (Roberts) Meers. To their marriage have been born four children, viz.: Ota, Beulah, Bertha, and Byron Thomas. Ota married John S. Fairleigh, at that time of Louisville, Kentucky, and now of Chicago. Beulah married Louis Clark, and has a daughter named Luella. Bertha by her marriage to R. W. Kinnison has a daughter Martha. Mr. Hunt affiliates with Saxton Lodge No. 508, A. F. & A. M., and with Camp No. 1893, Modern Woodmen of America, with the Knights of the Maccabees, and is a demitted member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. His family worship in the Presbyterian Church.
[A History of Northwest Missouri, Volume 2; edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1918; Donated and Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack]

BACK
Buchanan County, Missouri Genealogy Trails

© by Genealogy Trails -  All Rights Reserved - With full rights reserved for original submitters.