JUDGE HENRY S. KELLEY, LL. D., ex-Judge of the Circuit Court and attorney at law, ranks among the very best in his profession in this state, and has as much practice before the Supreme Court as any other lawyer in St. Joseph. He has been a resident of Missouri since August, 1866, at which time he located in Savannah. He has been prominent for thirty years in legal circles and has also taken an active part in the politics of his county and state. Moreover he is an author, having written important treatises on law since 1868. His work on 4iCivil Law" has passed through three editions; his volume, "Kelley's Probate Guide,'' written in 1871, has had two editions, as has also the one published in 1877, "Kelley's Criminal Law and Practice” which is considered one of the best compilations on the subject. In 1873, on the organization of the Department of Law in the University of Missouri, Judge Kelley was appointed lecturer on Criminal Law and Practice, and on Pleading and Practice, and continued to lecture upon those subjects in that institution for sixteen years.
Our subject's birth occurred near Cincinnati, Ohio. His father, Samuel, a native of Ohio, was a mechanic, having a cooper shop and employing about fourteen workmen. After selling this he removed to Hamilton County, where he engaged in farming, and about 1840 went to Wayne County, Ind., later to Henry, and still later to Grant County, in the same state. During all of this time he engaged in agriculture. Our subject's paternal grandfather, William, emigrated when a young man from his native Emerald Isle, near Dublin, first settling in Pennsylvania, and later going to Ohio and being one of the early settlers near Cincinnati. In the War of 1812 he was in active service with his two sons, John and David, all of whom were in Hull's surrender. The wife of William Kelley was before her marriage a Miss Wallace, an aunt of Gen. Lew Wallace's father. Mr. Kelley, who was a well to-do man in this world's goods, was one of the contractors for the Miami Canal, and was prominently connected with many public enterprises.
Our subject's father engaged in farming in Indiana until his death in 1878. He was a member of the Christian Church, and a man of upright life and exemplary conduct. His wife, formerly Miss Mary Holder, was born in Cincinnati, her parents having emigrated there from Pennsylvania.
Her death occurred in Grant County, Ind., in the same year as that of her husband. Of her eleven children ten grew to adult years, and five brothers of our subject were in the Civil War, two of these, Samuel and William, dying while in the service. The others, Jonathan, Abraham and Daniel, served until the close of the conflict and are still living.
Of the six survivors of the large family our subject is the fourth in order of birth. His boyhood was passed in farm work and attending District school. He assisted his father in clearing his land after his removal to Grant County, and about that time attended the Marion select schools, working for his board and thus earning his tuition. The last winter he attended the school he became well acquainted with Mr. James Brownlee, the county auditor, and boarded at his house. That gentleman assisted him in his study of law, as he was an attorney, while our subject helped him in the office. About this time he was assistant to the postmaster, all the time, however, keeping up his studies. He was admitted to the bar in 1854, having practiced a little previously, and being then only twenty years of age. He was elected District Attorney for the county, serving one term, and in 1856 was elected District Judge of Blackford, Delaware and Grant Counties, the youngest Judge in the United States. He served in that position for four years, being only twenty three at the time of his election.
In 1861 Judge Kelley went to Dakota, locating at Vermillion, and being on the staff of Gen. James Bouge. He engaged in the practice of his profession, located and surveyed a road from Lake Shetoc, Minn., to Sioux Falls, So. Dak., establishing a mail route. He also, in 1862, located on a claim, but on account of Indian massacres and depredations, returned to Grant County, Ind., his former home, after remaining the winter of 1863 in Sioux City, Iowa. His particular object in returning was to assist in the prosecution of a case. For a time he resided in Marioo, Ind., engaged in the practice of law, and in the fall of 1864 located in Wabash, where he built up a good practice and edited the Wabash Tribune.
In August, 1866, the Judge removed to this state, practicing in Savannah, and in 1860 was elected Alderman of the city. In 1870 he was a candidate for the Circuit Judge on the Republican ticket, but was then defeated. In the spring of 1872, at a special election, he was nominated on the same ticket for the same office, his opponent being Judge Thomas Collins, and was elected Judge of the Twenty-ninth Judicial Circuit by a majority of over four hundred votes; was re-elected in 1874, and again six years later. In 1884 he was nominated on the Republican ticket as a candidate for Congress, running against James N. Burens, but was defeated. Since 1887 he has made this city his home and has been actively engaged in general law practice. The department of law in the University of Missouri conferred upon Judge Kelley the degree of LL. D. in 1882. He gave up his post as the lecturer in that institution in 1880 on account of the pressing demands of his business. He owns a couple of farms in Andrew County and also owns city real estate.
In Sturgis, Mich., Judge Kelley was married in 1855 to Miss Adelia Harlan, who was born in Marion, Ind., and is the daughter of the Hon. Andrew Harlan, ex-member of Congress and a prominent politician in Indiana, having served two terms in Congress and for seven years in the State Legislature. For two terms Mr. Harlan was Speaker of the Missouri House, and for one term Speaker of the House in the Dakota Legislature. Though now seventy-eight years of age he is filling the position of Postmaster at Wa Keeney, Kans. His wife, formerly Miss Delilah Hendricks, has reached the age of seventy, one years.
Mrs. Kelley was reared and educated in Marion, Ind., and also attended the St. Augustine Convent at Fort Wayne, Ind. By her marriage she has become the mother of seven living children: David B., who was educated at the University of Missouri, was born in Grant County, Ind., and is a practicing attorney in this city. Under President Arthur he was Postmaster at Savannah, and was married to Miss Flora Buis. Samuel H., a graduate of Columbian College of Washington, D. C., from which he received the title of Bachelor of Laws, was Judicator of Claims in the United States Treasury Department from 1882 to 1885, and was then appointed Chief Clerk of the United
States Land Office at Wa Keeney, November 1, 1886. He resigned his position and removed in 1889 to Scott City, Kans., where he engaged in practice and is also editor of the Scott County News, later practicing with his father in St. Joseph, Mo. In 1888 he was nominated for the Legislature from Scott County, Kans., but was defeated. Two years later he was nominated on the Republican ticket in St. Joseph, Mo., for the Legislature, but was also defeated. In 1892 he was united in marriage with Miss Julia Graham, who was born in Berrien Springs, Mich. Henry S. graduated from the Ensworth Medical College in the class of '93. John M. is carrying on a farm in Andrew County. Mary is now Mrs. S. M. Marshall, of Loury City, Mo. Ralph and Thalia, who are at home, complete the family. Mrs. Kelley is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and is an active worker in all its various departments. The Judge is a member of the Ancient Order of United Workmen and the Select Knights, and is a stanch Republican.
(Source: Portrait and Biographical Record of Buchanan and Clinton Counties, Missouri. Publ. 1893. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)
Noah H. King; Years of
familiarity with financial affairs gave to Noah H. King an experience that
fitted him most admirably for his present position as manager of the
Tootle Estate, the business of which runs into many millions of dollars,
and in which work he has been engaged since January, 1910. Mention of this
magnificent estate is made elsewhere in this work in connection with the
sketch of the late Milton Tootle, Sr., who created the estate, so that
further details concerning the scope and magnitude of Mr. King's
activities will not be necessary at this point in regard to his connection
with the Tootle affairs.