Buchanan County, Mo.
Biographies
~ M ~



L. A. Martin.
This well-known Chillicothe lawyer, also known for his talents and productions in the literary field, has been identified with Northwest Missouri for many years, as a teacher, public official, and in the practice of his chosen profession.
L. A. Martin was born January 14, 1866, in Fayette County, Ohio, was educated in the public schools, finishing in the University of Missouri. For a number of years his work was teaching, and in 1892 he began the practice of law at Chillicothe, and has been one of the successful members 6f the bar in Livingston County. A democrat, Mr. Martin has held the offices of school commissioner of Livingston County, city attorney of Chillicothe, and prosecuting attorney.
November 27, 1894, he married Miss Kate Kennedy of Marshall County, Kansas. They have one child, Agnes Martin, aged fourteen. In literature Mr. Martin has published several books in prose and verse, and is a frequent contributor to magazines and newspapers.
[A History of Northwest Missouri, Volume 2; edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1918; Donated and Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack]


Henry Clark Maxwell. A history of Northwest Missouri will best fulfill the purposes which preserve in enduring record the largest number of careers of those men who as pioneers, as homesteaders in the wilderness, laid the foundations of the solid prosperity and affluence which this middle western country has now for two generations enjoyed as a harvest of the early toil and hardships of those who led the way into the region. Among the names most entitled to the distinction of such record, that of the Maxwell family stands at the very top of the list, and by close family relationship the name Johnson belongs in the same category. The following paragraphs are devoted to different representatives of these men, and mention is made of some of the most prominent early settlers both in the region of what is now Kansas City and also of St. Joseph.
A well-known living representative of the family is Henry Clark Maxwell, who for many years has been one of St. Joseph's successful men. He was born in a log cabin home in Washington Township of Buchanan County, April 23, 1855. His father was James Maxwell, born at Fredonia, in Caldwell County, Kentucky. The grandfather was Alexander Maxwell who was born in North Carolina. Going back still another generation, the great-grandfather was one of the early emigrants out of North Carolina into Kentucky. In true pioneer fashion, he organized a small caravan of wagons and teams, and with his family crossed the mountains and first came to halt in Tennessee. A part of his family was left there while he and his sons proceeded to Kentucky in search of a location. Caldwell County was selected as their new home, and the sons that went began preparing a shelter and the ground for a crop, while the father returned to Tennessee for the remainder of the household. Grandfather Alexander Maxwell was at that time a young man, and, being an expert with rifle, kept the family table well supplied with all the game that could be consumed. He married and reared a family and spent all the rest of his life in Kentucky.
Of the sons of Alexander, three, Logan, Edward and James were all pioneers in Washington Township of Buchanan County. James was reared in Kentucky on a farm, had training in agriculture, was an excellent woodsman, and possessed the same pioneer instincts which had caused the earlier generations to leave North Carolina and seek homes in the wilderness of Kentucky. In 1838, following the promptings of this instinct, he left his native county and, accompanied by his brother-in-law, John Armstrong, came to Missouri. They traveled on horseback, crossed the Mississippi at St. Louis, and after traversing many weary miles of sparsely settled country, through which no roads had been broken, and fording innumerable streams, they arrived at nightfall on October 1 at the little log cabin of Joseph Robidoux, on the banks of the Missouri River at what is now the City of St. Joseph. The Robidoux cabin was at that time the sole habitation of civilized man in this vicinity. Robidoux consented to keep the two travelers over night, and they slept on a buffalo robe spread on the puncheon floor.
At that time the Platte Purchase had not yet been surveyed and opened for settlement, and as there was no land office, the Maxwell brothers had to acquire preliminary rights to land by the usual process known as squatter's right. At that time railroads were little known anywhere in the United States, and the only practicable method of transportation in the Middle West was by river or by the still more uncertain and laborious means of overland carriage. No steamboat had yet ascended the Missouri as far as the site of St. Joseph, and the nearest river port for such vessels was at Weston, thirty miles below, which was then considered the head of navigation. Being so remote from civilization, there were also no markets, and very little money in circulation. James Maxwell soon after arriving selected a tract of land two and a half miles from the present courthouse in St. Joseph. This place had practically no business importance at that time except as came to it from the enterprise of the original settler, Joseph Robidoux, who conducted an Indian trading post.
About 1842 Logan and James Maxwell raised a crop of tobacco, and that should go down in history as the first ever planted in that section of Missouri. During their spare time they made hogsheads, in which they stored their tobacco when cut, and put the hogsheads in a shed owned by Mr. Robidoux. It remained there some time before they could get it to market. An itinerant preacher named Snellson, who spent a day at St. Joseph, told the brothers he would try to get a boat to come up and load the tobacco, and if he succeeded he would also endeavor to market the crop. Some time later a boat came up the river, took off the tobacco, and several weeks elapsed before they heard from the reverend gentleman. Then he returned and paid the brothers about three hundred dollars in gold, which was their initial capital for investment. They buried the money, and somewhat later, when the land office was opened at Plattsburg, they proceeded there and paid for their land.
James Maxwell when he first came to Buchanan County was unmarried and lived with his brother Logan. However, he soon constructed a log cabin on his land. There were no sawmills in this part of the country, and he resorted to the primitive means of making lumber, using an ax to split up the puncheons for the floor and the doors, and rived the rough .boards for covering the roof. It was in such a shelter that he and his bride commenced housekeeping, and its primitive comforts sufficed them during several years. James Maxwell was a man of industry and enterprise, and continued to improve his land and to prosper with the settlement and growth of the community, and lived at his old home for seventy-three years. When he passed away on September 19, 1911, at the extreme age of ninety-six, St. Joseph and Buchanan County lost their oldest and most honored pioneer.
James Maxwell married Melinda Johnson. Through her another pioneer Northwest Missouri family comes into this story. She was born in Jackson County, Missouri, in November, 1828, and was probably one of the very first white children born in that section. Her father was Samuel Johnson, born near Knoxville, Tennessee, July 5, 1797, a son of John Johnson, and a grandson of Alexander Johnson. The last named was closely connected with the original Scotch stock, and probably spent his last years in Tennessee. John Johnson moved from Tennessee to Kentucky, and after living there a few years went on westward, crossing the Mississippi, and found a new home in what was still the territory of Missouri. He was one of the pioneers in Cole County, where he lived until 1825, and then pushed on further into the wilderness, and with his family found a home in Jackson County.
The arrival of the Johnson family in that section of Missouri is an important date of early settlement. It was October 10, 1825. The locality which they selected for their home is now included within the city limits of Kansas City. Missouri had been a state only four years and had a census been taken of the inhabitants of Boone and Howard counties they could at most have numbered only a few hundred. In the vicinity of the present site of Kansas City only about a dozen white hunters and trappers constituted the population. Three sons of John Johnson accompanied him to this new locality, and they were all married and their families and Frank Travis and family constituted the little colony which thus established homes on the very western border of Missouri. John Johnson and his sons all secured government land, which has since been included within the limits of Kansas City. Measured in the modern boundaries of that city, their laud was between Independence Avenue, Seventeenth Street, Virginia Avenue and Porter Road. John Johnson erected a home, one of primitive simplicity to be sure, at what is now Bernard and Fourteenth streets. This house was a typical one of its kind, constructed from round logs, 20x20 feet in dimensions, with a puncheon floor and not a single iron nail entered into its construction. For a time the entire colony of twenty-five souls lived in that one house, until each individual family could construct a home of its own. The Johnsons for forty years lived in that locality without feeling the necessity for locking their doors at night, and they were of the bone and sinew of the early colonizers in that locality. John Johnson improved his acres from year to year, and continued to live there until his death. He was twice married, and reared seven sons and two daughters. One son, William, was killed while serving in the War of 1812.
Samuel Johnson, the father of Melinda, who married James Maxwell, was married in either Cole or Cooper County in 1818 to Sally Travis. The Travis family is also one worthy of mention in this connection. She was born near Lexington, Kentucky, January 19, 1798, a daughter of Frank and Nancy (Shirley) Travis, both of whom are natives of Kentucky, and became pioneers in the territory of Missouri in 1812. Samuel Johnson accompanied his father on his removal to the present site of Kansas City in 1825, and bought a tract of government land and continued to live in that community until 1838. In that year, the same year which witnessed the advent of the Maxwell brothers into Buchanan County, he also followed up the course of the river and found a new location in the Platte Purchase. The land he secured lay about three miles southwest of the present site of the courthouse. His log cabin was covered with boards rived by hand and chinked with mud. In the spring of 1848 Samuel Johnson sold his farm there and moved into the then growing town of St. Joseph. He was engaged in the livery business for a short time, but in 1849 joined in the great exodus from the Eastern states to the California gold fields.
He crossed the plains, spent a few months in the mining regions, and on September 23, 1850, embarked on a sailing vessel with the intention of rounding the Horn and returning home. However, that was the last information of his experiences ever granted his family, and how he met death is one of the many unsolved mysteries of that time. His widow survived him many years and died November 13, 1874. She reared seven children, as follows: Mary, who married David H. Burnett; Nancy, who married Dr. C. B. Lykins; Alexander, who went to California in 1849, but later returned and settled in DeKalb County, Missouri; John K., who made a home in Washington Township of Buchanan County; William R., who went to California and in 1862 was murdered by horse thieves; Melinda, who became the wife of James Maxwell, and Cynthia, who married Weston Craig, and now lives in St. Joseph. Samuel Johnson in 1839 was appointed by Gov. L. W. Boggs as a member of the first board of county judges in Buchanan County, and when the organization of that county was completed he was elected presiding judge of the County Court.
James Maxwell and wife reared nine children, namely: James, Richard, Samuel, Ellen, Henry C., Jane, Wesley, Logan and Addie. Both parents were members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, and James Maxwell was a republican after the organization of that party.
Henry Clark Maxwell grew up in Buchanan County, attended the local public schools, and much of his early experience was associated with farm life. He began his own independent career as a farmer, and from 1876 to 1885 conducted a farm in Andrew County. In consequence of hard work his health became seriously impaired, and he then made a trip to Colorado in 1885. As this was a journey for health, he took the best means of insuring an outdoor, wholesome method of travel. He fitted out a wagon and, accompanied by his family, set out in the month of May and returned in September. Each night the family camped by the wayside and enjoyed four months of travel which twenty or thirty years before would have been the only means of crossing the plains, and which under the modern circumstances was not fraught by the dangers and privations which characterized the early treks across the western prairie. On returning to Buchanan County, Mr. Maxwell settled at St. Joseph, and for a time was engaged in the cattle business and later bought and shipped horses on a large scale. For some years he was a buyer for the United States Government, and in 1905 furnished a large number of horses to the Cuban government. Since 1906 he has given all his time and attention to the real estate business. He' handles both city and farm property, and has sold extensive tracts not only in Missouri, but in many other states.
In 1876 Mr. Maxwell married Emma Ford. She was born in St. Joseph, a daughter of John and Dixie Ford. Her death occurred in 1887, and in 1892 Mr. Maxwell married Mattie K. Kelly, who was born at New Hampton, Missouri, a daughter of John H. and Lucretia Kelly, natives of Virginia and Kentucky respectively. Mr. Maxwell's six children are by his first wife and their names are Walter, Nellie, Jesse Ford, Harvey J., Frank D., and Floyd. Walter married Nora Cassidy, and their four children are Walter, Luella, Geraldine and Leroy. Nellie first married Fred Prinz, and later William Lange, and has a son Fred by the first marriage, and Dorothy and William Ford by her present husband. Jesse F. married Mary Hooper. Harvey married Ruth Wheeler, and their daughter is Ruth Adele Naomi. Mr. Maxwell and wife worship in the Christian Church, and he has fraternal affiliations with the Woodmen of the World.
[A History of Northwest Missouri, Volume 2; edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1918; Donated and Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack]


JOHN ED McCOY
            A self-made and very progressive man, John Ed. McCoy, of Routt county, located on a ranch of one hundred and sixty acres of is own, and one of the leading ranch and cattle men in the country tributary to the town of Hayden, is wholly indebted to his own efforts and capacity for his advancement in life and can justly attribute to himself the substantial estate he haw won from the hard conditions of life in this western wilderness, which, although it offers ample opportunity for thrift and enterprise, exacts their full value in return in the way of arduous and systematic toil.  Mr. McCoy was born on June 6, 1866, at St. Joseph, Missouri, and there remained until he reached the age of fourteen, attending the common schools a few years during the winter months and working as soon as he was able to provide for his own necessities.  In 1880 he came to Colorado, and with headquarters at Denver, went out into the mountains near Morrison where he gave his attention to hauling wood and  saw-mill work until 1889.  On July 19th of that year he took up his present ranch in Routt county on a homestead claim.  This comprises one hundred and sixty acres and is in an advanced state of cultivation, producing hay and grain of unusually good quality in great abundance.  He also raises cattle in goodly numbers and finds this a source of profit.  His ranch is near Dunckley post office and about sixteen miles south of Hayden.  It is in a good and prolific region which is rapidly improving under the industry of such men as he, and his land is steadily growing in value.  Politically Mr. McCoy is a Republican, and fraternally he belongs to the Woodmen of the World.  He is the son of David W. and Mary J. McCoy, the former a native of Indiana and the latter of Iowa.  The father is now a resident of Denver, where he carries on a prosperous butchering business and maintains a pleasant home for his wife and those of their nine children who are yet living under his roof.  He is a Republican in politics and is well esteemed in business circles.  The children born in his household are John Ed., Mary, Hannah, Mattie, Cora, Julia, Robert, Macy and Minnie.  The parents are members of the Baptist church, and the father belongs to the Grand Army of the Republic.
(Source: Progressive Men of Western Colorado, Publ 1905. Transcribed by Richard Ramos)


RUFUS L. McDONALD is one of the largest wholesale dry goods merchants in St. Joseph, and indeed of the west He is also an extensive manufacturer of gentlemen's furnishing goods, operating a large factory. This house is one of the oldest west of the Mississippi, having been founded in 1846. In 1853 Mr. McDonald became a member of the firm, and three years later the business passed entirely into his hands. He is one of St. Joseph's most eminent merchants and public-spirited citizens, and his business, which has continued for thirty-six years, is one of the great and invaluable factors in this city's mercantile prosperity. Our subject is Vice-president of the Schuster-Hax Bank and a Director in the Merchants' Bank.
Mr. McDonald's birth occurred May 19, 1832, in Harrodsburg, Mercer County, Ky. His father, Daniel, was born and reared in Washington County of that state, while his paternal grandfather, Alexander McDonald, was born in Virginia. He was one of the earliest settlers in the Blue Grass region, where he entered a tract of land and engaged in general farming. He was of Scotch descent and a member of the Methodist Episcopal church. Daniel McDonald was also a farmer and for some years was a merchant in Harrodsburg. In 1866 he removed to Andrew County, locating on a farm eight miles northeast of St Joseph, where his death occurred at the age of seventy three years.
The maiden name of our subject's mother was Martha McMurtry; she was born in Washington County, Ky., and was a daughter of one of the pioneers of that county. B. L. McDonald, whose name heads this sketch, is the oldest of his father's family, and was reared on a farm. In 1851 he struck out for himself and came to St. Joseph, where for two years he worked at a clerkship. He then obtained an interest with the firm of Donnell & Saxton, dry goods merchants, and this move was the foundation of his later success.
In St Joseph Mr. McDonald wedded Miss Mary Wilson, who was born in Randolph County, and is a daughter of Gen. Robert Wilson, one of the early settlers of Howard County, Mo., where he located in 1818. He afterward removed to Randolph and later became a resident of St. Joseph. He served for several terms as state Senator and was also a United States Senator. Our subject and wife have six children: John I., a graduate of Yale College, and now manager of the factory; Robert W., who is in the wholesale department; Maggie, wife of H. L. George, also connected with the firm; Mattie L., wife of John Dolman, Jr.; Annette and Maria, who are attending school in Massachusetts. The family are members of the First Presbyterian Church, of which Mr. McDonald is a Ruling Elder. In politics he supports the Democratic party.
(Source: Portrait and Biographical Record of Buchanan and Clinton Counties, Missouri. Publ. 1893. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


Rev. A. W. McGlothlan. One of the advisory editors in this publication, Rev. A. W. McGlothlan has for more than twenty years been actively identified with the Presbyterian ministry at different localities in Northwest Missouri, and his home is at Savannah. The brief story of Mr. McGlothlan's career has an appropriate place in these pages.
He was born on a farm in Mercer County, Illinois, on August 2, 1856. His father, William McGlothlan, and his mother Sarah A. (Massey) McGlothlan in 1853 migrated from Western Kentucky to the rich prairie section of Northern Illinois and settled on a farm twelve miles north of Galesburg. This is one of the richest, most productive and beautiful sections of that great state; but in that early day was a vast prairie region with only an occasional mark of human habitation in the form of a settler's shack. However, settlements soon began to multiply and the rich prairie soil yielded abundant harvests. Churches and school houses made their appearance here and there, and the primitive shacks were gradually replaced by more comfortable farm homes.
Rev. Mr. McGlothlan has some interesting recollections of life in this prairie region of Illinois as well as in Northwestern Missouri. With his two older brothers and a younger sister he attended the "Prairie Flower" country school located on the brow of a little hill and surrounded by a broad expanse of unfenced prairie land, where in the springtime the stately lily reared her crimson crown and "Johnnie jump-ups" grew in great profusion. In this temple of learning he secured the rudiments of an education. The great Civil war was then in progress, and playing soldier was the principal pastime among the boys, who, with their wooden guns, bayonets and swords and with colors flying, fought over again many of the great battles which they had heard discussed in the homes and at the country store. While they were mimic battles they at times approached verisimilitude sufficiently to result in the shedding of human blood.
In the spring of 1871 William McGlothlan sold his Illinois farm which had greatly increased in value and brought his family to Nodaway County, Missouri, where he and the boys began the work of making another farm on the prairie. The pioneer life of Northern Illinois was in many respects repeated. With a large farm to be fenced and otherwise improved, there was little opportunity for attending school. A few months' instruction in the "Green Horn" school house completed the country school education of the boy A. W. He attended the public school at Hopkins for a few mouths, and after teaching a term in the country entered the second year's class at the Kirksville Normal School in the spring of 1880. In that institution he completed the two and three year courses, receiving the highest honors of his class both years. A severe and almost fatal illness prevented, by a few months, his final graduation.
Mr. McGlothlan taught successfully in Missouri and Iowa for a few years, married Mary F. Jackson of Nodaway County, and in 1882 began an employment which continued for five years in the general offices of the Burlington Railroad at St. Joseph. His decision to enter the ministry caused him in September, 1890, with his wife and little daughter, to move to Cincinnati, Ohio, where he pursued his studies at the Lane Theological Seminary until graduation in May, 1892. On returning to Missouri Mr. McGlothlan was ordained to the ministry in the Presbyterian Church at Parkville in April, 1893, and began his work at , Lathrop, to which place he had been previously called. His pastorate there continued for three years, and other pastorates have been at Stanberry, five years, Savannah ten years, and his present field three years.
Mr. McGlothlan has been State Clerk and Treasurer of St. Joseph Presbytery for eighteen years; has also served as its Moderator and on two occasions was made its commissioner to General Assembly. Wherever his residence, Mr. McGlothlan has taken an active interest in the social, educational and religious life of the community, and at the present time is a member of the Savannah Board of Education and chairman of the Ed. V. Price library board.
[A History of Northwest Missouri, Volume 2; edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1918; Donated and Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack]


Edmond McWilliams. While Edmond McWilliams is widely and favorably known among Missouri newspaper men as the editor and owner of the Clinton County Democrat, the oldest established paper in Clinton County, dating from 1866, he has also had, in the course of an active career of thirty years, many other important relations with his home county and state. His entire career has been filled with useful service.
Edmond McWilliams was born in Clinton County, Missouri, November 3,1863, and finished his education at Plattsburg College. His public career began in 1885, with appointment as deputy county clerk under George R. Riley, and that was his position for thirteen years until elected county clerk. He was elected county clerk of Clinton County in 1898 for four years, and reelected in 1902 for another term of similar length. In 1901, at a meeting of the county clerks of Missouri in St. Louis, Mr. McWilliams was elected president of the County Clerks' Assoc. of the state. Mr. McWilliams served as treasurer of the City of Plattsburg from 1888 until 1894, and for more than twenty years has been a member and secretary of the Plattsburg Board of Education. In 1905 Governor Folk appointed him one of the commissioners to select a location for the Fifth District Normal, which was eventually located in Maryville.
At the close of his term as county clerk in 1906, Mr. McWilliams became the editor and owner of the Clinton County Democrat. While this journal had a prestige and influence resulting from forty years of existence, it has been more than ever prosperous under the management of Mr. McWilliams, whose work in the journalistic field has met with unqualified success. Mr. McWilliams has taken thirty-two degrees in Scottish Rite Masonry, and is also affiliated with the Woodmen of the World, the Modern Woodmen of America, and the Knights of Pythias. He was married June 21,1893, to Miss Mary Leola Riley of Plattsburg.
[A History of Northwest Missouri, Volume 2; edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1918; Donated and Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack]


Eugene W. Miller. It not infrequently is found that some of the leading financiers of a community have had their start in life on the farm, and, in the greater number of cases, still maintain their agricultural connections. There is something substantial about the man who has won success as a tiller of the soil that appeals to the people and wins their confidence; moreover, as the greater volume of the business of the banks comes from the farming class, the man who has himself been, or still is, a farmer can appreciate the needs of his depositors, and of times acts as advisor and friend. At any rate, one of the leading bankers of Buchanan County, Eugene W. Miller, president of the Bank of Agency, is also a prosperous agriculturist and owner of the beautiful River Side Stock Farm, near that city.
Mr. Miller was born on a farm seven miles northeast of St. Joseph, in Andrews County, Missouri, June 6, 1867, and is a son of Daniel C. and Lucy W. (Farmer) Miller, the former a native of Tennessee and the latter of Virginia. Daniel C. Miller was reared to manhood in Tennessee, and in 1855 accompanied his father, Isaac Miller, and his family, when he removed from his Tennessee homestead to the then new settlement in Andrews County, Missouri. There Isaac Miller took up a homestead, cultivated it, and continued to make it his home until the time of his death. Daniel C. Miller not only engaged in agricultural pursuits, but also in merchandising. In the latter '50s he opened a general store at Old Halleck, which he conducted successfully until it was raided by Union sympathizers during the Civil war, who, in taking revenge upon him, because of his pro-slavery views, completely wiped out his business. However, not in the least discouraged or daunted, he took what resources remained and engaged in farming and stock raising.
In 1884 Daniel C. Miller located in Agency, and here engaged in general merchandising in partnership with his son, Eugene W. Miller of this review. The firm of D. C. Miller & Son became widely known as one of the most substantial general stores in Buchanan County, outside of the City of St. Joseph. Almost everything needed in the home or on the farm was handled and fair dealing attracted an immense trade from all over the surrounding country. The partnership continued until the death of Daniel C. Miller in 1895, the entire management of the business then falling upon the able shoulders of his son, and the business continued to be conducted as Miller Brothers. The new firm was not alone successful in the conduct of the Agency house but also opened two branch establishments, one at Dearborn and the other at Osborn. These stores were prosperously conducted until Mr. Miller decided to give his entire time and attention to his banking interests and to the River Side Stock Farm, the latter one of the finest properties of its kind in Buchanan County.
In 1895 he organized the Bank of Agency and opened for business September 5th of that year, with a capital stock of $5,000. Success was assured from the day of the bank's opening, due to the careful banking methods employed and to the high standing and strict integrity of Mr. Miller and those associated with him. Thus the business continued to prosper, and in 1900 the capital stock was increased to $10,000, being doubled during the first five years of the life of the institution. At the end of another half decade, the stock capital was increased to $25,000. The Bank of Agency is regarded as one of the best managed and safest banking institutions in Northwest Missouri.
As previously stated, Mr. Miller is the owner of the well-known River Side Stock Farm, three miles northeast of Agency, on which he is assisted by his brother, Perry C. Miller. He feeds annually several hundred head of cattle and hogs for market, and Perry C. Miller superintends the entire operations of the property on a partnership basis, having met with fine success. On September 24, 1888, Eugene W. Miller was united in marriage with Miss Lettie A. McCrary, one of Agency's most estimable young ladies and the daughter of Luda M. and Mary McCrary old and respected residents of Buchanan County. Mrs. Miller was educated in the local schools and at a young ladies' seminary at Stewartsville, Missouri. To Mr. and Mrs. Miller there have been born ten children, of whom nine are living, as follows: Daniel C. and Jessie, who are married, and Donelan L., Marie M., Marjorie L., Dixie L., Eugene W., Jr., Clarence P. and Lettie A.
Mr. Miller is a progressive democrat in politics, but has never been active as a politician, although he has ever been ready to accept the responsibilities of good citizenship. He is now mayor of Agency. Fraternally, he is a Mason and an Odd Fellow, and has attained high rank in the former order, being a Knight Templar and a member of the Mystic Shrine. He has been an active member and worker in the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, practically all of his life, for he joined the church at the age of twelve years and has consistently followed its teachings. His parents before him were leaders in the church, and Daniel C. Miller and his wife must be given the honor and credit of materially aiding the work of that religious body and carrying on its work. Mrs. Miller is also a member of the church and has been active in its local movements. Mr. Miller may be justly proud of the fact that he has never used tobacco in any form, has never tasted a drop of intoxicating liquor, and has never been addicted to profanity, and, while devoted to his work during the day, his happiest hours are those spent with his family in their beautiful home at Agency, a large brick mansion, modern in architecture and in its furnishings.
Mr. Miller is still in the prime of life and although his extensive business associations have burdened him with a great responsibility and care, he is well preserved in mind and body, and bids fair to remain a leading factor in the business and social life of the community for many years to come. He has always been interested in educational work, having served several terms as a member of the school board, and has aided the institutions of learning from the district school on up to the high school. He has also been a builder of the town, having laid out the Miller Addition to Agency, now nearly all sold out, has erected several large business houses and residences, was instrumental in securing the grist mill for Agency, and did the leading part in constructing the Methodist Episcopal Church, donating several times as much as any one else in the city to its building fund. In numerous ways he has aided in the growth, development and prosperity of his community, and as agriculturist, banker, public-spirited citizen and man, few are held in higher esteem or have warmer or more admiring friends.
[A History of Northwest Missouri, Volume 2; edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1918; Donated and Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack]


I. N. MILLER, M. D., is a member of the St. Joseph Medical and Surgical Institute, has an extensive practice, and is a thoroughly intelligent gentleman. He makes a specialty of the diseases of women and the rectum. He was born near Greenfield, Hancock County, Ind., September 18, 1857, and is a son of Benjamin Miller, a native of Michigan and one of the early settlers in Hancock County, where he became the possessor of a large and valuable farm. During the Mexican War he enlisted from Indiana and in 1861 came to the defense of the old Red, White and Blue. He was a fine cook and was detailed to serve in that capacity entirely through the war. On his return he located in Nodaway County, Mo., retiring from active work, and died in 1869 while on a visit, aged about seventy years. He was a Republican and Abolitionist and a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Our subject's mother, whose maiden name was Angeline Taylor, was born in Ohio and died in 1876 at the good old age of seventy-three years. Her paternal grandfather was a cousin of Zachary Taylor.
The Doctor was an only child of this union and was reared in Indiana until reaching the age of nine years when, with his parents, he removed to Missouri and received such school privileges as were afforded in Nodaway County at that day. He lived at home until his mother's death and then engaged as clerk in a drug store in Mound City, Mo., until reaching his majority. During this time he commenced the study of medicine under Dr. Ross, and had to work his own way through by the greatest self-denial. In 1869 he entered the Keokuk Medical College, where he took three courses, and during the summers worked as a clerk in Mound City in order to gain sufficient money to pay his tuition for the coming term.- With the same object in view and with the desire of obtaining practical knowledge, he assisted the professors in the college from which he graduated in 1882 with the degree of Doctor of Medicine.
For the following eight years Dr. Miller was a practicing physician in Mound City, and for two years of that time he was a member and Secretary of the Examining Board of Pensions, as the United States Surgeon of Holt County, having to resign when he removed to St. Joseph. In 1890 he established an office at No. 518 Frances street, in this city, and was engaged in practice for two years alone, but in April, of 1892, formed a partnership with Dr. Boyd and in March, 1893, in company with Drs. J. H. Walker and J. K. Egbert, organized the St. Joseph Medical and Surgical Institute, which is incorporated.
In Mound City Dr. Miller and Miss Ella Hyatt were joined in marriage, the ceremony being performed in 1877. Mrs. Miller, who was born in Illinois, is the daughter of W. T. Hyatt, who runs an hotel at Mound City. The Doctor and his amiable wife are the parents of two living children: Ralph M. and Carrie A. They are members of the Presbyterian Church and the Doctor belongs to the Ancient Order of American Mechanics. He was a member of the American Medical Association and in 1887 was a delegate from this state to the convention in Chicago. In political faith he is a Republican and earnestly supports the principles and nominees of that party.   He has made for himself a host of friends in this city and among his professional brethren, who do him no more honor than is his jnst desert.
(Source: Portrait & Biographical Record of Buchanan & Clinton Counties Missouri, Publ. 1893. Transcribed by Linda Rodriguez)


JUDGE JAMES MITCHELL has been Justice of the Peace of Washington Township, Buchanan County, the district including St. Joseph, since 1878, and has been a resident of this locality since 1868. He is now the oldest justice of the peace serving in the township and county, his office being located at the corner of Edmond and Fourth streets. Judge Mitchell was born in Ireland, County Leitrim, where his father, Patrick, was a well known merchant, and also was for some time a resident of County Roscommon. In 1840 he left his native isle and, crossing the Atlantic, soon after his arrival located in Pitts-burg, where he was shortly called from this life. Our subject's mother, who was in her girlhood days Miss Rose Gannon, was born in the same county as our subject and was a daughter of Darby Gannon, a farmer in Ireland. Mrs. Mitchell died in Pittsburg when over ninety years of age.
Our subject is the sixth in order of birth in a family of eleven children, only four of whom are now living. He was reared in the Emerald Isle until attaining the age of twelve years, when he accompanied his parents to Liverpool, taking passage in a sailing vessel, the "Huntress." After a voyage of seven weeks he lauded in New York city, where he remained with a brother who bad previously crossed the ocean and who was engaged in the grocery business there. Later Mr. Mitchell went to Brooklyn where he secured employment as a clerk. In 1853 he became a partner in the publishing firm of Thomas D. McGee, editing the American Celt for about four years, when, on account of ill health, Mr. Mitchell was obliged to sell out his interest. In 1858 he came to St. Louis, Mo, there engaging in publishing the Western Banner with B. D. Killian. This was a weekly journal and was successfully carried on until they were obliged to discontinue on account of the war in May, 1861.
In December of that year Mr. Mitchell obtained a position as clerk in a book store, where he engaged in business until 1868, when he first found himself in the beautiful and enterprising city of St. Joseph, which was then, however, a town of only nineteen thousand. For three years he was engaged in the book business with Mr. M. Crawford and then served as clerk for the City Recorder, C. M. Thompson, for three years. In 1878 he was elected to the position of Justice of the Peace and was re-elected to the responsible place three consecutive times. He is a member of Branch No. 203, Catholic Knights of America, and is a member of the Catholic Cathedral. In political sentiments he is affiliated with the Democratic party.
(Source: Portrait & Biographical Record of Buchanan & Clinton Counties Missouri, Publ. 1893. Transcribed by Linda Rodriguez)


Orestes Mitchell; A lawyer of St. Joseph, whose practice has brought him into relationship with many of the large interests of the city and state, Mr. Mitchell since beginning practice in 1900 has been rising rapidly to the distinctions and rewards of professional success. He is also one of the leading masons in Northwest Missouri.
He was born in Indiana, December 26, 1876, and is a son of Levi M. and Sarah (Oliphant) Mitchell. His father, an Indiana farmer, came to St. Joseph in 1886, and has been engaged in the real estate business there for more than a quarter of a century. Orestes Mitchell had a public school education, finished at St. Joseph, after he was ten years of age, and later entered the University of Missouri, where he graduated from the Law Department with the degree of LL. B. in 1900. Admitted to the bar, he at once took up practice in St. Joseph, and then became connected with the legal department in Missouri of the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad Company, until his resignation on March 1, 1907. Since resigning he has devoted himself to general practice of law in St. Joseph, Missouri.
While young in his profession, several honors have already been shown him as indication of the larger future spread before him. Since 1911, Mr. Mitchell has served as a member of the board of education of St. Joseph, and in 1911 was candidate in the democratic primaries for the nomination of circuit judge of Buchanan County, being defeated by only eighty-three votes.
His prominence in Masonry deserves some special note. He has taken thirty-two degrees of the Scottish Rite, is a Knight Commander of the Court of Honor, belongs to St. Joseph Consistory, No. 4. A. A. S. R., and belongs to all the Scottish Rite bodies in St. Joseph. He was made an Honorary Mason and was elected as an Honorary Member of the Supreme Council in 1913. He is past master of Charity Lodge, No. 331, A. F. & A. M.; belongs to Mitchell Chapter, No. 89, R. A. M.; to St. Joseph Council No. 9, R. & S. M.; and to Moila Temple of the Mystic Shrine. Mr. Mitchell is also a past patron of Radiant Chapter, No. 88, O. E. S., and is district deputy Grand Master of Missouri, and secretary of the Masonic Board of Relief. His other social connections are with the St. Joseph Country Club, St. Joseph Commercial Club, and Lodge No. 40 of the St. Joseph Order of Elks.
In 1901 Mr. Mitchell was married in St. Joseph to Miss Inez A. Samuel. They are the parents of three children: Samuel Orestes; Martha Elizabeth; and Francis Marion. Their home is at 2714 Seneca Street in St. Joseph.
[A History of Northwest Missouri, Volume 2; edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1918; Donated and Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack]


JOHN MONTGOMERY. The career of this gentleman has been one of perseverance and integrityf and has been crowned with the success which those meet who steadily pursue their way, doing always that which their hand findeth to do. Mr. Montgomery is an exponent of the fact so frequently stated and which so many young men seem to doubt, "that in acting well one's part, there all the honor lies."
Thomas D. Montgomery, the father of our subject, was a native of Virginia, where he followed the occupation of a farmer. He was a prominent man in his locality. His mother, who was known in her maidenhood as Sarah Morris, was a native of the Blue Grass state and the daughter of Thomas Morris, who also served as a soldier in the Revolutionary War. Thomas Montgomery and his wife were married in Madison County, Ky., and made their home in Greene County, Ky., until 1839, in the spring of which year they came to this state, making their journey overland with teams, the trip consuming forty-eight days. They were among the first to locate on Contrary Creek and remained there until their death. It was heavy timber land, upon which only one acre had been broken. The family passed through many hardships and privations during those early times and were often visited by the Indians, who, however, were friendly, but would often carry off all they possessed in the way of eatables. At his death, which occurred in 1873, the father of our subject had seventy-five acres of his quarter-section placed under the plow and nicely improved in the way of buildings and implements. Together with his wife, who followed him to the better land two years later, he was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
The parental family of our subject included fourteen children, six of whom are living. John, of this sketch, was born December 3, 1823, in Greene County, Ky., where he remained until reaching his sixteenth year, when he accompanied the family in their removal to this state. He had but limited advantages for obtaining an education, but by systematic reading has gained a fair knowledge of men and things. Young Montgomery remained home, aiding his father in placing their new home under cultivation until reaching his majority when he started out in life on his own account.
Jaley Ann White, the daughter of Silas and Melinda (Bartley) White, became the wife of our subject in 1846. Mrs. Montgomery's parents were natives of Kentucky, in which state they were married in Madison County, and in the fall of 1845 came to Missouri and made their home near that of our subject's father. Mr. White departed this life in August, 1864, his wife having preceded him to the better land in 1850. They were the parents of seven children, only two of whom are living at the present time. Two sons served as soldiers in the Civil War, while another boy, Jefferson, died in 1864 in a military prison in Alton, 111. The parents of Mrs. Montgomery were members of the Hard Shell Baptist Church, and in politics the father was a stanch Democrat.
Mrs. Montgomery was born February 2, 1829, in Madison County, Kane. She has proved a most valuable assistant to her husband when starting out in life, as after their marriage their worldly effects were represented by $6. They obtained lodging with a neighbor, free of charge, and our subject proceeded to operate his father's farm on shares. In the fall of 1846 he was enabled to purchase one hundred and sixty acres of land upon Section 10, Center Township, Buchanan County, upon which they moved, making it their home for forty years. He increased his purchase from time to time and is at present the possessor of two hundred and forty acres comprised in that farm and eighty acres in his home place. He has made a success of life in every sense of the word, and by judicious investments and careful management he has acquired a goodly amount of property, and his record in all the relations of life and in the duties devolving upon him as an honorable man and faithful citizen is of the highest April 11, 1887, Mr. Montgomery moved upon his present farm of eighty acres and that same spring erected a beautiful residence at the cost of $3,500. It is built of brick and contains eleven rooms, all tastefully furnished.
The only child of our subject, Martha Jane, was born September 23, 1847, and is now the wife of Henry C. Register of Los Angeles, Cal., where Mr. Register is engaged in the real estate business; they have one son, William Lee, who had his birth August 28, 1868. He married Sarah Rhoady and makes his home in Center Township, Buchanan County. They have one child, Pearl Lee Register, born January 27, 1893. Mr. and Mrs. Montgomery are members in good standing of the Missionary Baptist Church. In politics our subject is a stanch Democrat. Together with his wife, he is enjoying the fruits of his early toil and industry in his beautiful home near the Hannibal & St. Joseph Railroad. His career through life has remained untarnished and he rejoices in the respect and esteem of a large circle of friends, whose goodwill he has won by his straightforward course, generosity and natural kindness of heart. He assisted in building the first court-house ever erected in Buchanan County, which is now standing at Sparta.
(Source: Portrait and Biographical Record of Buchanan and Clinton Counties, Missouri. Publ. 1893. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)


Raleigh Morgan. The Morgan family has been identified with northwest Missouri since the years following the opening of the Platte Purchase for settlement. Raleigh Morgan, who is still only in the prime of life, has long been considered one of the foremost stockmen in the state. There are about twenty-three hundred acres of some of the finest land in Clinton County under his ownership, and every year from five hundred to a thousand cattle come from his feed lots to market, and about twice that number of hogs. He was for years one of the largest live stock shippers in Clinton County. There are a number of farms under the Morgan ownership and management, and all of these have appropriate and pleasant names by which they are known among the inhabitants of Clinton County.
The names of some of these farms are as follows: Sunshine Terrace, Saighman Place, Woodbine, Spring Valley, Grand View, and Sunny Ridge. Practical and commodious houses, modern barns and up-to-date facilities for sheltering crops and stock, broad stretches of pasture land, extensive areas of corn and grain fields, all present a picture of peace and plenty and prosperity, and those qualities have for years been associated with the Morgan family. An aggressive business man, Raleigh Morgan has carried his energy into every undertaking, and is one of the citizens who have justified their faith in Missouri land, cattle and hogs. He is one of the largest taxpayers in Clinton County, and his success has been won in time to give him a prospect of many fair years of contentment and opportunities for enlarged service to his community.
Raleigh Morgan was born on a plantation in Clarke County, Kentucky, in October, 1850. His father, R. S. Morgan, was of an old Virginia family, and married Amanda Trimble, a native of Kentucky. They emigrated to the Platte Purchase in the early days, locating in Clinton County, where the father died at the age of eighty-two years. He was a member of the Presbyterian church, a man of strong character and honest in every dealing with his fellowmen. The mother is now eighty-three years of age. Their three children are: Mrs. Mary Shaver, of Plattsburg; Sallie Ann, wife of D. L. Stoutimore, of Plattsburg; and Raleigh Morgan.
The early years of Raleigh Morgan were spent on a farm, and along with his education in public schools he was taught the value of industry, of thrift, and of fair and square dealing with himself and with others. On December 24, 1872, he married Kate Gristy, who for more than forty years has been his companion and as a wife and mother has contributed in no small degree to his own success. Mrs. Morgan was born near Quincy, Illinois, a daughter of Stephen T. and Martha (Saighman) Gristy. Of English ancestry, the father was born in Kentucky and the mother in Virginia. The father was a Mason and a member of the Presbyterian church. Her family furnished members to the War of the Revolution, the War of 1812, and to business and the professions and the many activities of life. Mr. Morgan and wife have one daughter, Mrs. Kate Bohart, wife of Hon. J. E. Bohart of Plattsburg. The Morgan residence is known as Fountain Place, one of the best homes in Plattsburg, and has long been a center for the best social life of the city. Mrs. Morgan's parents are now deceased, and she has a sister, Mrs. S. G. Kelly of Kansas City. Her father died in Miami, Oklahoma, at the age of eighty-two.
The Gristy family were early settlers of Illinois. Mrs. Morgan and her daughter, Mrs. Bohart, are both active in club and society and church work. She is a Baptist, a leader in the Plattsburg W. C. T. U. and in the Ladies' Society of the church. A lover of flowers and beautiful things, Mrs. Morgan has always had a wealth of interest and occupation, and has carried the brightness and cheer from her own home into the larger life of the community. Mr. Morgan was for some years railroad live stock agent and superintendent of stock shipments at Plattsburg, and his name has become known all over this part of the state for his success in the shipping and feeding of cattle and hogs. At the same time he has been active in church work and school affairs, and his individual career has contributed in many ways to the material and social progress of the state. He has been a member of the Baptist church for forty years.
[A History of Northwest Missouri, Volume 2; edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1918; Donated and Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack]


DAVID H. MOSS
DAVID H. MOSS, president of the First National Bank of Mount Vernon, and the Bank of Burlington, was born in Paris, Missouri, January 5, l876, of distinguished parents. His father, David H. Moss, a native of Columbia, Missouri, born in 1827, came of Virginia and Kentucky ancestors, who were pioneers in Missouri, where they came in 1819, and were among the first settlers in Saint Joseph, which at the time of their advent was only an Indian trading point. The elder Moss was for many years a prominent factor in political circles in his state, where he filled the offices of circuit judge and attorney for many terms, and made his influence felt in the councils of his party. A number of years since, however, he decided to retire from the onerous duties of public life, and seek the more peaceful comforts of his home and fireside, holding alone the position of president of the Paris (Missouri) National bank, one of the solid financial institutions of that state. The mother, Mellville (Hollingsworth) Moss, was born near Hannibal, Missouri, and was reared in St. Louis. Her parents were natives of Virginia, but immigrated to Missouri in the early part of the last century, when the pioneer instinct would no longer admit of their continuing in what to them were the densely populated regions of their native state. They here experienced fully the strenuous life of the pioneer, and reared their family under these conditions into stalwart manhood and useful womanhood. How happily changed are the conditions under which this worthy matron now lives, surrounded with affluence and social advantages, and, still better, enjoying the approving consciousness of a life well spent. The youngest in a family of eight, the subject of this writing grew to manhood in an atmosphere of culture and refinement. Encouraging the fondness for study which he early manifested, his parents sent him at the early age of fourteen to the Military Academy at Booneville, Missouri, which was at that time one of the best educational institutions in the state. He later spent three years at Westminster College, Fulton, Missouri, finishing there at the age of twenty, at which time he entered the law department of the Northwestern University, and was graduated there from in 1899. Returning to his home in Paris he was admitted to the bar, and began the practice of law, at the same time being associated with his father in the bank. In the spring of 1902 he came West to Billings, Montana, having accepted the position of assistant cashier of the First National bank, at that place, of which his brother, P. B. Moss is the president. In March, 1903, he purchased a controlling interest in the First National Bank of Mount Vernon, in which institution he holds the honored position of president, and is likewise president of the Bank of Burlington, which he has established more recently. Capitalized at twenty-five thousand dollars, with loans amounting to one hundred and seventy-five thousand dollars, and deposits of three hundred thousand dollars, the Mount Vernon bank is recognized as one of the strongest financial institutions in Skagit county.
On April 5, 1905, the marriage of David H. Moss and Miss Annabelle Arnold, daughter of R. R. and Ophelia (Morris) Arnold, of Mexico, Missouri, was solemnized at Billings. Montana. Mrs. Moss comes from one of the distinguished pioneer families of Missouri, her father, who is cashier of the First National Bank of Mexico, is a man of prominence in financial and political circles, and widely known throughout the state. Second from the last of a family of seven children, Mrs. Moss has been reared under the very best home and social influences, with ample educational opportunities and is qualified to fill with dignity and grace the requirements of home or social life. She is a member of the Christian Church, of which her husband is also a communicant. In fraternal circles Mr. Moss is associated with the Elks and the Masons. With his demonstrated business ability, the high position of trust which he is holding and the full confidence and respect of his acquaintances, few young men at the age of Mr. Moss have brighter prospects for a life of influence and usefulness.
[An Illustrated History of Skagit and Snohomish Counties, Inter-State Publishing Company, Chicago, Illinois, 1906. Submitted by M. K. Krogman]


Rev. George Sherman Murphy, D. D; A man of broad culture, earnest convictions, and strong character. Rev. George Sherman Murphy, pastor of the First English Lutheran Church at St. Joseph, is well known throughout this section of the county as an active and effective worker in all religious and charitable undertakings. He was born, March 4, 1865, near Lewistown, Mifflin County, Pennsylvania, a son of Joseph Murphy, and grandson of Andrew Murphy, both natives of Juniata County, Pennsylvania. His great-grandfather, Patrick Murphy, was born and reared in Ireland, and on coming to this country located in Juniata County, Pennsylvania, where he spent his remaining days. Andrew Murphy was a farmer by occupation, and spent his entire life in his native county. He was a man of great piety, and a faithful member of the Scotch Covenanter Church.
Growing to manhood in Juniata County, Joseph Murphy embarked in mercantile pursuits when young, settling in Reedsville, Mifflin County, where he was actively and prosperously engaged in business until his death, while yet in manhood's prime, having been but thirty-one years old when called to the realms above. The maiden name of his wife was Mary Wherry. She was born in Mifflin County. Pennsylvania, a daughter of George and Sarah (Hoyt) Wherry, coming from German and English ancestry. She is now living with her son George, a bright and active woman, and seventy-four years young.
The only son of his parents, George Sherman Murphy attended the rural schools until fourteen years of age, and then began clerking in a store at Yeagertown, Pennsylvania, from that time being self-supporting. He subsequently entered the employ of the William Mann Company, proprietors of the largest axe factory in the world, located in Mifflin County, and there, as a metal polisher, earned money with which was advanced from tutor to professor of Greek, and occupied that chair until 1903.
At the age of nineteen years Mr. Murphy had united with the Lutheran Church, and was licensed to preach at a meeting of the Wittenberg Synod, at Plymouth, Ohio, September 29, 1895, and ordained at a meeting of the East Ohio Synod, in Canal Dover, on October 21, 1900. His first charge was at Lucas, Ohio, where he had a successful pastorate. In 1906 he was called to St. Paul's Church, at Pea body, Kansas, where he was stationed six years. An enthusiastic worker while there, Mr. Murphy inspired his congregation to such an extent that a church was built at a cost of $20,000, and was dedicated free of debt.
In 1912 Mr. Murphy came to St. Joseph as pastor of the First English Lutheran Church. He at once set about raising funds for a new church, and that was completed and dedicated on January 18, 1914, a new parsonage also being finished at that time. The church building is a beautiful structure of stone, built in modern style, and containing various rooms for Sunday school and social meetings aside from the main auditorium. There is also a large kitchen and dining room, handsomely finished and furnished, that add much to the equipment of the building. The entire cost of this handsome structure was $62,000, every dollar of which has been paid.
On December 29, 1896, Mr. Murphy was united in marriage with Miss Rebecca Webber, who was born at Penn Grove, New Jersey, a daughter of William and Mary (Harris) Webber, and a lineal descendant on the maternal side of Roger Williams. Mr. and Mrs. Murphy have one child, George W. Murphy, born August 12, 1899.
Fraternally, Mr. Murphy is a member of Clarke Lodge No. 101, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, of Springfield, Ohio; of Mitchell Chapter No. 14, Royal Arch Masons, of St. Joseph; of Newton Commandery No. 9, Knights Templar, of Newton, Kansas; of Wichita Council No. 12, Royal and Select Masters, of Wichita, Kansas; of Isis Temple, Ancient Arabic Order of Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, of Salina, Kansas; and of all the bodies of the Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, thirty-second degree, St. Joseph, Missouri. , He is also a member of the Phi Kappa Psi Fraternity. For six years Mr. Murphy was president of the Peabody, Kansas, Chautauqua. In June, 1914, the honorary degree of doctor of divinity was conferred on him by Midland College, Atchison, Kansas.
Source:  A History of Northwest Missouri Volume III; publ. 1915 in III Volumes; Edited by Walter Williams; Submitted to Genealogy Trails and transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack


R. H. Musser. Among Clinton County's successful younger lawyers is R. H. Musser, who has practiced at Plattsburg for the last fifteen years, and while considerable success has come to him in his profession, he has at the same time always stood as one of the leading citizens, a man whose interest in the community is paramount to his devotion to his private affairs.
R. H. Musser was born in St. Louis, Missouri, January 25, 1876. His father, Adolphus Musser, was born at Cynthiana, Harrison County, Kentucky, and was the grandson of a Frenchman who came across the ocean with General Lafayette during the early years of the American Revolution, and fought as an officer on the staff of that revered French patriot. After the war he remained in the United States like many of the French soldiers, got married and brought up a family. Adolphus Musser grew up in Kentucky, and from there moved to northwest Missouri, locating in Chariton County. He married Addie Wilkerson, who was born in Ray County, Missouri, of an old family that moved from Kentucky to that section of the state. Adolphus Musser died in 1892, when sixty-four years of age. He was a member of the Presbyterian church, a man of substantial influence in his community. They had three children: R. H.; Adolphus; and Joshua, of Colorado.
R. H. Musser was reared and educated at Plattsburg, was given a liberal training, and did a great deal for himself in his early career so that he is a self-made man. Admitted to the bar in 1899 at Plattsburg, he established himself in his profession, and has always enjoyed a good business as a lawyer.
In public affairs he is a democrat, and has served his home city in the office of mayor. He affiliates with the Masonic lodge. In 1903 Mr. Musser married Miss Georgia Shepherd. They have one of the modern homes of Plattsburg, and are active people in the social circles of the county seat.
[A History of Northwest Missouri, Volume 2; edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1918; Donated and Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack]

BACK

Buchanan County, Missouri Genealogy Trails
by Genealogy Trails -  All Rights Reserved - With full rights reserved for original submitters.