Buchanan County, Missouri
Biographies
~ T ~




Father Henry B. Tierney;
As a poet-priest and lecturer, Father Tierney's reputation and recognition have been growing steadily for the past ten years, and while he is claimed as a product of Northwest Missouri, the influence of his oratory and his song has spread afar. He has been in Trenton nine years, where in addition to the upbuilding of St. Joseph's parish there, he has made himself an important factor in the civic and social affairs of that community. He has spread throughout the country this motto: "Get acquainted with your neighbor, you might like him." He was particularly active in the Trenton Commercial Club, and prepared much of the literature for the publicity committee of that club, as a result of which "The Trenton Idea" has made Trenton perhaps the most talked of town in the State of Missouri. In fact, "The Trenton Idea," of which Father Tierney is the originator, is now nationally known and is being adopted throughout the country as a practical plan of real union between town and country.
Father Tierney was born in St. Joseph, Missouri, July 13. 1878, of Irish-American parentage. His father was Mark Tierney and his mother Margaret Gleason, both of them natives of Indiana, but of Irish parents. Father Tierney attended the public schools of St. Joseph, going through the grammar and high schools of that city. His inclinations were early turned toward literary work. His first poem appeared in the old St. Joseph Gazette in 1888, when he was only ten years of age. A few years later he became reporter and special writer for several of the St. Joseph daily papers, and also contributed to papers in other American cities and also to a London paper in England. He now entered the Benedictine College, St. Benedict's, at Atchison, Kansas, and finished with honors the six-year classical course. During all this time his writings were appearing regularly in leading periodicals. He then returned to practical journalism on the St. Joseph Press and the Gazette Herald for one year, at the expiration of which he resumed his theological studies and a course in sacred oratory at Kenrick Seminary in St. Louis. While in the seminary he revealed his unusual powers as a speaker and also an extraordinary ability as a writer of prose and verse. By this time his poems were being published in periodicals not only in the United States, but by magazines abroad. In 1903 he received a gold medal from King Christian of Denmark as the grand prize for the best royal poem in the international literary contest celebrating the remarkable visit of the Dowager Czarina of Russia to her royal father, King Christian, in Denmark.
Father Tierney was ordained by Rt. Rev. M. F. Burke in January, 1906, at St. Joseph Cathedral, the church in which he had been a member all his life and in which his parents were married July 4, 1877, by Bishop John J. Ilogan. The young priest's mother was at the point of death at the time of her son's ordination, and as a special privilege from Bishop Burke he was permitted to say his first mass at the bedside of his dying mother.  February 1, 1906, Father Tierney was sent to Brook field, Missouri, and January 1, 1907, was assigned to the pastorate of St. Joseph's Church in Trenton, Missouri, and the St. John's Mission Church in Gillman City. His parish now extends over territory comprising five counties, i. e.. Grundy, Harrison, Mercer, Daviess and part of Livingston. He holds services at nine points in these five Northwest Missouri counties, in four of which he has churches.
As an American poet Father Tierney has been frequently called the successor of Father Abram Ryan, the late poet-priest of the South. His published poems if collected would fill several volumes. Neale & Co., Union Square, New York, have just published (May, 1915) the first volume of his poems. Five thousand copies of the first edition have been sold. He is noted as an orator, and has appeared on the lecture platform in all parts of the country. Some of the subjects of his lectures are: '' Shams and Hypocrites, a Constructive Lecture;" "Back to God, the Moral Revolt;" "Is God Dead? A Plea for the Common Man;" "Thou Shalt Not—a Lecture on Marriage;" "Literature and Life;" "True Education;" "Unity of Christendom;" "The Scarlet Woman, a Lecture on the Catholic Church;" "Money, Women and Whisky." He is an active member of the International Lyceum Association of America, the Catholic Writers' Guild, and Council No. 571 of the Knights of Columbus at St. Joseph. Father Tierney's poetry is characterized by a rare charm of expression as well as a wonderful delicacy of sentiment. He furnished the words and the music to an ancient Irish lullaby from a Gaelic fragment, entitled "Shoh-Heen Shoh," a ballad which was sung by one of the principals of the Irish National Theater Company at REFRAIN
The Stars and Stripes shall never kiss the dust,
The sword of Justice never sleep in rust,
0, our hearts are loyal, true
To our old red, white and blue
Love for God and home and country is our trust.
Every true heart of the nation deep must feel
The thrilling, patriotic vim and zeal
Which has shaped our glorious fate,
Making each new grateful state
In Old Glory's azure field a living seal!
God has made our land a nation rich and great,
He inspired our fathers with a nation's fate,
Their principles were few,
Immortal, simple, true— .
Eternal, are His laws for man and state.
Americans we are, and brave at heart,
And every man of us will do his part,
Let our declaration stand,
Soul aflame and flag in hand,
We will serve in peace and war with willing heart.
—Father H. B. Tierney, in Leslie's Weekly.
Source:  A History of Northwest Missouri Volume III; publ. 1915 in III Volumes; Edited by Walter Williams; Submitted to Genealogy Trails and transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack

TAYLOE, Alfred D., wholesale paper business; born in St. Joseph, Mo., August 29, 1882; son of James W. and Elizabeth (Green) Tayloe; English descent; educated at Omaha, Neb.; member Chickasaw Club; Secretary and Treasurer Tayloe Paper Company.
Source: Who’s Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; transcribed by Kim Mohler

TAYLOE, George Green, wholesale paper business; born St. Joseph, Mo., Nov. 17, 1874; English descent; son of James Wynns and Eliza Bell (Green) Tayloe; father’s occupation merchant; educated at Miltonvale, Kansas, graduating from same; in early life he was a clerk in a bank; married Nellie Kreider Jan. 20, 1905; member Leila Scott Lodge A.F. & A.M. and Business Men’s Club; president Tayloe Paper Co., Memphis, Tenn.; member of Presbyterian church.
Source: Who’s Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; transcribed by Kim Mohler

John Townsend; A man of sound judgment and excellent business qualifications, John Townsend, head of the Townsend & Wyatt Dry Goods Company at St. Joseph, is one of the leading merchants of that part of Buchanan County, and has contributed his full share in advancing the mercantile prosperity of the city in which he lives. He was born on a farm in McLean County, Illinois, a son of John Townsend, Sr., and grandson of Thomas Townsend. His great-grandfather, Peter Townsend, was, as far as known, a native of Maryland. After his marriage he lived for a few years in Virginia, from there moving with his family to Kentucky, thence to Ohio, where he settled in pioneer times.
Born in Maryland, Thomas Townsend accompanied his parents to Kentucky, and later to Ohio, where he began life for himself as a tiller of the soil, becoming owner of a farm lying two miles northwest of New Vienna, in Clinton County. His wife, whose maiden name was Sophia Truitt, survived him, and died in Greenfield, Indiana, at the venerable age of ninety-five years.
John Townsend, Sr., was born about 1806 in New Vienna, Clinton County, Ohio and there reared to agricultural pursuits. In 1838, thinking to improve his chances for acquiring wealth, he migrated to Illinois, making the journey with ox teams, and for five years was a resident of McLean Comity. In 1843 he again started westward, and with ox teams journeyed to Buchanan County, Missouri, where he became a pioneer settler. At that early day all of the land in this section of the country was owned by the Government and for sale at $1.25 an acre. Securing a tract lying four miles east of St. Joseph, he erected a humble log cabin, which was the first home of the Townsend family in Missouri. After improving a portion of the land, he sold out, and bought land situated two miles south of St. Joseph. A few years later he sold that property, moved to Andrew County, where he purchased a farm and was there engaged in agricultural pursuits until his death, in 1853, at a comparatively early age. He married Rebecca McElwain, who was born in Ohio, of Scotch ancestry. She survived him, and kept her family together until all were grown up and had homes of their own, her death occurring on the home farm, in Andrew County, at the age of sixty-six years, in 1876. She reared six sons, as follows: Moses, who died in Kansas; Thomas died on the home farm, which had come into his possession; George died in Kansas; John, the second son in succession of birth, is the subject of this brief sketch; Robert Edwin is a resident of St. Joseph; and Milton died at the age of sixteen years.
But an infant when brought by his parents to Missouri, John Townsend was reared among pioneer scenes, the log house which his father built on coming to Missouri having had a puncheon floor, and a chimney made of earth and sticks. There being no stoves in those days his mother used to do all of her cooking by the open fireplace, and in addition to her other domestic duties used to card, spin and weave the homespun from which she fashioned clothes for her family and acquiring his early education in the old log schoolhouse, with its slab benches, which had wooden pins for legs, with neither backs nor desks. In 1864, impelled by the restive American spirit that has led so many enterprising young men to seek new locations in the undeveloped lands of our great country, John Townsend gave up his position as clerk in the store of John and Isaac Card, where he had obtained an insight into mercantile business, and started for Montana, making the trip with a mule team, and being 2 1/2 months en route.
Taking up his residence in Virginia City, he opened a store, putting in groceries of all kinds, many of which sold at an exorbitant price, flour selling at times for $2.00 a pound. At the end of two years Mr. Townsend returned to St. Joseph with a team, arriving in November of that year, 1866. Immediately forming a partnership with Preston Lowell, he embarked in the dry goods business under the firm name of Townsend & Lowell. Mr. Townsend has ever since been continuously and successfully engaged in the same line of business, but under different firm names. The first change he made placed him at the head of the firm of Townsend & Wood; the name was later changed to the Bailey-Townsend Dry Goods Company, after being Townsend & Wyatt; then Townsend, Wyatt & Emery; and is now the Townsend & Wyatt Dry Goods Company.
In 1863 Mr. Townsend was united in marriage with Annie R. Banes, who was born in Ohio, a step-daughter of Col. John A. Dolman. Three children have blessed the union of Mr. and Mrs. Townsend, namely: Milton B. married Nadine West, and they have one child, Nadine; John R. married Mrs. Georgia (Scott) Carter, and they have one son, Scott; and Sarah D., wife of Lewis M. Smith, has four children, Brickley, Sarah, Lewis M., and John T. Religiously Mr. Townsend is a Presbyterian, and Mrs. Townsend is an Episcopalian.
[A History of Northwest Missouri, Volume 2; edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1918; Donated and Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack]

 

James Tudd. While James Todd is one of the younger newspaper men of Northwest Missouri, he is identified as editor with a journal which has had the able services of his father and himself for more than a generation. He is one of the editors with W. C. Van Cleve of the Democrat-Forum, published daily and weekly by the Maryville Publishing Company.
James Todd was born in Maryville, Nodaway County, Missouri, September 9, 1886, being the oldest son of James and Anna (Curfman) Todd. His father was for thirty-four years editor and proprietor of the Nodaway Democrat of Maryville. James Todd attended the Maryville High School and the State Normal School, but owing to his father's illness left school to assume charge of the Democrat. On the death of his father, January 31, 1907, he assumed both the manager and editorship of the paper. In 1910 the Democrat and the Forum purchased the Republican, and the three papers were then consolidated as the Democrat-Forum published by the Maryville Publishing Company, with Mr. Todd as one of its editors. He was president of the Northwest Missouri Press Association for a term of two years, 1911-1913.
Mr. Todd since reaching his majority has taken an active part in politics. For two years, 1910 to 1912, he was a member of the Democratic State Committee from the Fourth Congressional District. In March, 1914, President Wilson appointed him postmaster at Maryville, and he has been in charge of the office since April 1, 1914.
[A History of Northwest Missouri, Volume 2; edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1918; Donated and Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack]

BACK

Buchanan County, Missouri Genealogy Trails
© by Genealogy Trails -  All Rights Reserved - With full rights reserved for original submitters.