Buchanan County, Missouri
Biographies
~ W ~



CARL WEIGEL. Conspicuous alike for the extent and variety of its stock and the volume of its transactions, the Weigel & Roth Furniture Company is one of the most prosperous and extensive of the commercial establishments of St. Joseph. The Company enjoy unsurpassed facilities in every way for the prompt and efficient transaction of business in their line, and the house possesses the confidence of the trade as a merited result of the uniformly honorable methods by which every detail of the business has been characterized from its inception until the present time. The business is conducted on a perfect and accurate system, and its management is in the hands of substantial and successful business men, to whose sagacious methods it owes the prominence it has achieved.
The President and Treasurer of this company is Carl Weigel, whose name is a very familiar one to the citizens of St. Joseph. He is a German by birth and parentage, and was born in Duerkheim, Bavaria. His parents, Carl and Caroline (Rebenack) Weigel, were also natives of that place and the father was for many years an officer in the Civil Service and Government Counselor. Carl is the third in a family of four children, and is the only one residing in America. He was born on January 28, 1844, and was reared to manhood in Germany, where he attended school. After having graduated from the Latin School, he entered the Polytechnic school at Karlsruhe and completed the course there.
In 1804, setting sail on a vessel at Bremen, Mr. Weigel crossed the broad Atlantic and landed in New York, whence he came directly west to St. Louis. He secured a position as bookkeeper in a machine shop in that city, where he remained for two years. In 1866 he came to St. Joseph and engaged as bookkeeper for Louis Hox in his furniture establishment, where he remained for thirteen years. After occupying a clerical position for some years, he became interested in the business and for a lime filled the position of manager.
The Weigel & Roth Furniture Company was organized in 1883, with a capital stock of $30,000 with Mr. Weigel as President. The establishment was first located on Third street, but in 1892 was removed to the present location at No. 214 216 South Sixth street. The building is 40 by 100 feet in dimensions and six stories in height. In addition to this, there is a warehouse 32 by 80, two stories in height. The main building is entirely used for retail display rooms and is fitted up with a complete line of goods. Mr. Weigel selects his stock in New York and other eastern points, and through his shrewd business judgment is enabled to buy at the lowest wholesale prices, which permits him to sell at prices lower than any of his competitors.
In St. Joseph in 1870 Carl Weigel was married to Miss Mary L. Carolus, a native of New Jersey, who was reared in St. Joseph. Their family consists of five children: Carl, Jr., a graduate of the high school and Secretary of the Company; Frank, head salesman for Weigel & Roth; Henry, who is an upholsterer; Oscar, who is a member of the St. Joseph Drug Company, and Eugene. Fraternally our subject is connected with the Knights of Pythias, of which organization he is Master Exchequer; the Knights of Honor, being Past Dictator of the lodge; the Woodmen of the World and the Order of Maccabees. In his political connections he is a stanch Republican.
(Source: Portrait & Biographical Record of Buchanan & Clinton Counties Missouri, Publ. 1893. Transcribed by Linda Rodriguez)

 

M. F. WEYMANN, M. D., occupies the important Chair of  Physiology  and Ophthalmology in the Ensworth Medical College of St. Joseph.  He is a practical oculist and aurist, making a specialty of those two important branches. The Doctor is a member of the Missouri Valley Medical Society, the Buchanan County Medical Society and the Council Bluffs Medical Association. His office is located at the corner of Seventh and Felix streets. He is a graduate of and has studied in some of the best medical colleges in this and foreign countries, and is a thorough and practical man in his special departments.
Dr. Weymann was born in Saxony, Germany, near the town of Orimma, April 23, 1863, his father, Jacob William, being a well-known merchant of that place. He was united in marriage with E. Wilhelmina Wiesner, who was born in Burkartshain, Saxony. The Doctor received his education in his native tongue in the common schools, and later entered the Gymnasium and graduated from that institution at the age of eighteen. Soon afterward he began the study of medicine and entered the University of Leipsic,in the Medical Department.
Pursuing his studies there until 1881, in November of that year Dr. Weymann set out for the United States. After a stormy voyage he arrived at his destination and went direct to Milwaukee, Wis., where he entered the Literary School of the German-American National College, graduating therefrom in 1883. In the fall of 1884 he entered the Central College of Physicians and Surgeons of Indianapolis, where he pursued his medical studies, graduating in 1887 with the degree of Doctor of Medicine and taking the faculty prize (gold medal) for the highest general average, his average—ninety-nine and seven-elevenths —being the highest ever known in the history of the institution.
After graduating from the Indianapolis College Dr. Weymann concluded to become a specialist, in furtherance of which intention he went abroad for special research and study. In Paris he continued his studies in the Ecole de Medicine, taking two semesters in the Eye and Ear Department as a private student of Prof, de Wecker. Returning to America in 1888, the Doctor located in Cincinnati, Ohio, where he remained for about a year and then went to Council Bluffs, Iowa, where he was Professor of Languages in the high school for two years. At this time, however, he did not give up his profession but practiced, having certain office hours outside of his school duties. In June, 1891, our subject finally located in St. Joseph, being appointed to the professorship mentioned above.
In 1886, while pursuing his studies in Indianapolis, the Doctor was joined in wedlock with Miss Emma L. Reis, a native of Germany. Of this union has been born a little daughter, Flora, who is the joy and pride of her parents' home. The Doctor's practice is constantly increasing and he has won for himself a truly enviable position among the large and enterprising circles of his professional brethren in this city.
(Source: Portrait & Biographical Record of Buchanan & Clinton Counties Missouri, Publ. 1893. Transcribed by Linda Rodriguez)

 

William W. Wheeler; The Wheeler-Motter Mercantile Company, 219-223 X. Fourth Street, at St. Joseph, is today the largest house of its kind on the Missouri River, and its history goes back through a continuous period of succession in St. Joseph, for more than half a century. Mr. Wheeler, president of the company, has been in business at St. Joseph for the past forty years, was a close associate of the late Milton Tootle, and is regarded as one of the ablest business builders and executors in the middle west.
The Wheeler-Motter Mercantile Company really had its beginning in 1849, when the firm of Tootle & Farleigh changed from a retail business to a wholesale concern, doing a general mercantile business in every line except the grocery. The development of the business was rapid and the changes many. Branches were established at Omaha, Nebraska, Council Bluffs, Iowa, Kansas City and Sioux City, Iowa. The firm of Tootle continued until 1873. The name then became Tootle. Craig & Company. Then in 1892 the Tootle, Wheeler & Motter Mercantile Company was incorporated, and the last important change was made January 1. 1909, when the name was changed to the Wheeler-Motter Mercantile Company. This company does a wholesale business in dry goods, carpets, and kindred lines. Sixty-five traveling salesmen are employed in the distribution of the goods sent out through this company's organization, and the entire territory from the Mississippi River to the Pacific Coast and from Texas to the Canadian Lines is covered.
William W. Wheeler, president of the Wheeler-Motter Mercantile Company, was born in Ohio, in 1845, a son of David W. and Eliza (Webb) Wheeler. His father was an Ohio farmer, and Mr. Wheeler was a farm boy, grew up in the wholesome environment of the country, and after a district schooling, attended the Conneaut Academy at Conneaut, Ohio. His business career began as a clerk with the railroad company in Tennessee. That state remained his home until 1872, when he came to St. Joseph, and was given a minor place in the wholesale dry goods house of Tootle, Craig & Company. His work there for several years was bookkeeper, and from subordinate office man, he rose to the position of general manager, became one of the trusted advisers of the late Milton Tootle, and on the latter's death, and the incorporation of the Tootle-Wheeler-Motter Mercantile Company, became president of that extensive establishment. He has been president both of the old organization and under the new title, as it stands at present, and his enterprise and executive ability have been largely responsible for the present high standing of the firm in mercantile circles west of the Missouri River.
Mr. Wheeler has membership in the St. Joseph Country Club, and all the social and business clubs of the city. He is an elder in the First Presbyterian Church. In 1879 Mr. Wheeler married Miss Helen Smith, whose father was one of the early physicians of Savannah, and Northwest Missouri. They are the parents of two children: Minnie, wife of Charles B. Farish, of St. Joseph, and William W., Jr., connected with the Wheeler-Motter Mercantile Company. The family home is at 703 Hall Street in St. Joseph.
[A History of Northwest Missouri, Volume 2; edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1918; Donated and Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack]

 

James A. Winn. A hale and hearty man, bearing with ease and dignity his burden of four score and more years, James A. Winn, vice president of the First National Bank of Plattsburg, holds a position of note among the best known and most highly respected citizens of that place. Since 1850 a resident of Clinton County, he has been an important factor in the development and advancement of the highest interests of this section of the state, and is specially deserving of honorable mention in a work of this character. Energetic and enterprising as a young man, he had full faith in the possibilities of Clinton County, and through his foresight and wise judgment many projects of benefit to the community were established. A firm believer in education, religion and the betterment of mankind, and thoroughly honest and reliable in all business transactions, he has made hosts of friends in town, county and state, and retains them all. He was born, November 7, 1832, in Kentucky, a son of George A. Winn, who was born and bred in the same state. His paternal grandfather, George Winn, a native of Virginia, settled in Kentucky in early manhood, and there married Clara Graves.
George A. Winn married Clarissa Graves, and in 1850 came with his family to Missouri. Settling in Clinton County, he bought land, and, with the help of his slaves, was engaged in farming until his death, at the early age of forty-five years. His wife survived him, passing away at the age of fifty years. They were held in high esteem by their friends and neighbors, and were worthy members of the Presbyterian church. Seven children were born of their union, as follows: James A., the special subject of this sketch; Elizabeth; Mildred; John; Erminta; Bartlett: and George, a retired farmer, living in Plattsburg.
Brought up on a Kentucky plantation, James A. Winn acquired a practical education in the common schools, and on the home farm gained a good knowledge of the various branches of agriculture. In 1850 he came with the family to Clinton County, Missouri. In 1850 he followed the tide of emigration westward, going with a band of gold seekers to California, crossing the plains and mountains with mule teams, during the eighty-five days of tedious travel meeting with many Indians, and several herds of buffaloes. After mining on the Pacific coast for two years Mr. Winn returned to Clinton County, fully satisfied that it was the garden spot of the earth. He journeyed home by the way of the Isthmus of Panama and New Orleans, and soon after his arrival purchased land, and has since been engaged in the pleasant and profitable occupation of farming and stock-raising. He has also dealt extensively in farming lands, and is now vice president of the First National Bank of Plattsburg.
Mr. Winn has been twice married. He married first, in 1854, Virginia Dunlap, who died in 1873. Four children were born of their union, as follows: George E., of Plattsburg; Dr. John W. Winn, a prominent physician of Platte County, Missouri, died, unmarried, at the age of , forty-three years; J. Gordon, deceased; and Charles, deceased. Mr. Winn married second in 1874. in Plattsburg, Caroline Trimble, who was born, reared and educated in Kentucky, and came with her parents, William and Margaret (Fry) Trimble, to Clinton County in 1870. Her father, who was engaged in agricultural pursuits throughout his active life, died at the age of seventy years, while her mother attained the age of four score years. Mr. and Mrs. Winn are the parents of three children, namely: William B.; Mrs. Anna Clauser, of Plattsburg; and Samuel J., a furniture dealer and an undertaker in Plattsburg.
[A History of Northwest Missouri, Volume 2; edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1918; Donated and Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack]

 

J. CAVAN WYATT is Secretary and Treasurer of the Townsend & Wyatt Dry Goods Company, the largest and finest retail business house in St. Joseph. He is the son of an old pioneer and prominent man and is a native son of St. Joseph, having been born here August 11, 1845. His life history and work has been closely connected with the history and progress of this city, and few have taken such great interest in this western metropolis as he.
Among the most worthy citizens of St. Joseph was for many years Elder J. J. Wyatt, who was born in Sinclair County, Ill., July 13, 1819. When only two years old his mother and father removed to Fleming County, Ky, where his youth was spent. He was an apt student and early formed a taste for law. He entered the office of John Ca-van, an able attorney, and after thorough preparation was admitted to the bar. March 28, 1844, he married Miss Emily M. Gooding, who, now over sixty-nine years of age, resides with our subject. Twelve children were born to them, only three of whom are now living.
In June, 1845, Elder Wyatt came to St. Joseph, engaging in the practice of law. He filled the position of Probate Judge and Judge of the Court of Common Pleas, and during the years of 1856 and 1857 was Postmaster of St. Joseph. In whatever capacity he served the public he was always found conscientious and faithful to an eminent degree. In November, 1850, he became identified with the Christian church, and at once began preaching the word of God. He was called to take pastoral charge of the Christian church of which he was the founder. Their first meetings were held in a little log church on the hill where the present stately court-house now stands. For a number of years he was shepherd of the little flock, and saw the congregation increase from a mere handful to a large number, rich in material wealth and in influence and exercising a power for good in St. Joseph.
During the past twenty-one years of his life Elder Wyatt has had charge of Union Church, near Taos, in Buchanan County, and for fifteen years preached steadily at Bethel. At the time of his death he also had charge of congregations at Camden Point and Antioch. The best part of his life was passed as a Christian worker, and he took earnest and great delight in the task. He was one of the founders of the college at Camden Point, of which he was a Trustee. His public and private life were above reproach, and ail who knew him were warmly attached to him. The pastors of the city, after his demise, passed most complimentary and touching resolutions in regard to the sad event. Death came to him suddenly April 9, 1881, but he was entirely prepared for the silent messenger.
J. Cavan Wyatt is the oldest of the three living children of his father's large family. His brother, William, lives in Kansas City and George is a resident of St. Joseph. Our subject was given a public school education and in 1860 began his business career as clerk with A. GK Mansfield. After two years he entered the employ of Nave & Rowley, dry goods merchants. He was successively with the following firms: Bauth & Oppenheimer, John Townsend, and Wyatt & Wyatt. When with the latter firm he was located at Centralia, Boone County. Remaining there until 1873, he returned, and for two years was with the dry goods firm of Falles & Trice. In company with Mr. Townsend and J. D. Richardson, Jr., he bought the last mentioned firm out and continued to do business at No. 319 Felix street. They were later located at the corner of Fourth and Felix streets. In 1890 our subject bought out his partners and consolidated with Mr. Emery, under the name of Townsend, Wyatt & Emery Dry Goods Company, with a capital stock of $200,000. In June, 1891, the firm bought out Mr. Emery and became Townsend & Wyatt Dry Goods Company. Of this J. Town-send is President and C. E. Townsend Vice-president.
The dry goods firm to which our subject belongs controls the best city trade. The fine store block was built in 1890, at the corner of Sixth and Edmond streets. It is 120 by 120 feet, five stories and basement in height. On the first floor may be found retail dress goods, notions and clothing; on the second, millinery, cloaks and shoes; on the third, crockery, wall paper, carpets and draperies; while the fourth and fifth are duplicate store rooms. The basement is used for shipping rooms, kitchen and house furnishing supplies. Entrance to the store is effected from both streets on which it fronts, and the most modern appliances—steam heat, gas, and electric lights, elevators, etc.—are here found.
In the year 1875, near Centralia, Mo., Mr. Wyatt and Miss Kate Garrard were married. She was born in Lexington, Ky., and her father, James D. Garrard, who died February 1, 1893, was a farmer and owner of the ground where the battle of Centralia was fought. Mrs. Wyatt died in 1889, leaving three children: Cavan, Aubrey and Jennie. The pleasant family residence, which was built by our subject, is located at No. 1309 Felix street.
Mr. Wyatt is a member of the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, of the Royal Arch Masons (of which he is past High Priest), of the Council and Knights Templar. He casts his ballot in favor of the Democratic party, and in religions belief is a member of the Christian church, in which he is an elder.
(Source: Portrait and Biographical Record of Buchanan and Clinton Counties, Missouri. Publ. 1893. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)

BACK

Buchanan County, Missouri Genealogy Trails
© by Genealogy Trails -  All Rights Reserved - With full rights reserved for original submitters

 

 

.