Buchanan County, Missouri
Early Hotels and Boarding Houses


 




Occidental Hotel
on the northeast corner of Main and Jule Streets.  It was formerly styled the City Hotel.  The building, which is of brick, was erected in 1846, by William Fowler, the pioneer Circuit and County Clerk of Buchanan County.  It is, considering the early date of its origin, spacious, containing thirty five rooms, many of which are of unusual size.  It is still [1881] a popular and well patronized house.
The Allen House
on the corner of Fourth and Sylvanie Streets, now [1881] kept as the Griffith House, is one of the old landmarks.
The Missouri Hotel
on Edmond Street, near the corner of Market Sqare, has long ceased to be known as such and only forms one of the endless continuation of stores which line the street
The Edgar House
built in 1850 on the corner of Francis and Main Streets, was afterwards long known as the Planter's House.  It was at one time the property of John Abell, who kept a hotel in it a year.  It has long ceased to fulfill that purpose.
The Atlantic House
on Eighth Street, between Messanie and Locust, was built in 1859, and opened as a hotel.  It was then styled the Batchele House.  It is a large three story brick, contining thirty one rooms.  The present [1881] proprietor is W.H. Love.
The Galt House
on Third Street, corner of Angelique, was originally the Snearley House.  It has been known by the former name since 1873.  It is now [1881] kept by J.M. and J.B. Talbot.
The Saunders House
Among the more prominent of the early settlers of St. Joseph was John Saunders, Sr.   Mr. Saunders was born in Richmond Virginia, Oct. 10,1797.  In 1843 he settled inSt. Joseph, which he continued to make his home up to the period of his death, which occurred October 10,1870, his seventy third birthday.

In 1850, he built for a residence, what is now a portion of a large brick building known as the Saunders House, on Third Street.  It was was at one time occupied as a school.  In 1858, an extensive additon was made to the building and it was opened by the proprietor as a hotel.  Richard and John Saunders, Jr.sons of the builder and owner of this house, who were then living in Nodaway County, Missouri, came down to St. Joseph in 1862  and bought out their father.  They continued to keep a highly popular house here till April 1877, when they sold to Moore & Stall.  In September, 1880, Mr. Moore died and the house has since been conducted in a highly popular style by C.G. Stall.
The Bacon House
on the southwest corner of Third and Jule Streets, was established by the present [1881] properietor, E.E. Bacon, in 1860, enlarged 1877, again in 1879, and latterly in 1881.  It is well kept and liberally patronized.
The Patee House
one of the most spacious and elegant structures ever erected in the northwest, was built by that enterprising pioneer, John Patee, who settled in St. Joseph in 1845.  His farm of 320 acres, which he purchased at the rateof $13 per acre, w he afterwards laid out in lots, and today [1881] it includes a populous and well built section of the city, known as Patee town.

The foundation of the Patee House was laid in the fall of 1856.  In the fall of 1858, this stately edifice was completed, at a cost of one hundred and thirty thousand dollars and furnished at a cost of twenty thousand dollars.  It was first leased, as a hotel to G.W. Alden, of Philadelphia, for three years at a rate of $6,000 for the first year, $8,000 for the second and $10,000 for the third year.  Before the close of the first year, Alden, failing to make his payments, gave up the house, and was succeeded by Minor, of Chicago, who kept it one year.  A man by the name of Espy then kept the house for about two years.  He died from the effects of a fall from one of the hotel windows.  He was succeeded by Elijah Patee, a son of the owner of the building.  Dougherty & Worden afterwards kept the house.  The last man to keep a hotel in the building, was James H. Bagwell, who took charge of the same on the buring of the Pacific in 1868.

During the war, the house was raffled off in a lottery and drawn by Mr. John Patee himself.  It has since experienced various fortunes, remaining idle for long periods- then again subserving the puroses of schools and colleges as referred to in our mention of those interests.
The Pacific House
on the corner of Third and Francis Streets, was built in the winter of 1859 and 1860.  At that time, its principal front was on Francis Street.  Its cost was $120,000.  It was opened and kept for some time by Loundsberry.  Shackleford and Hughes soon after succeeded him in the propriertorship.  In 1865, William K. Richardson was keeping the house.  He was succeeded by James H. Bagwell, who continued to keep it till December 15, 1868, when it was totally destroyed by fire.

In the following summer, it was rebuilt, with its main front on Third Street, and February 14, 1870, it was opened by Garth, Gilkey & Abell.  Two years after, Garth retired from the partnership, and Gilkey & Abell continued the business till the expiration of their lease in December, 1879, when the building was closed for repairs.  The sum of $10,000 was expended for this purpose.  April 1, 1880, Kitchen Bros. the present [1881] proprietors opened the best house ever kept in a building.
The St. James Hotel
formerly the Heaton House, was opened October 1, 1880, by James Herson.  It is pleasantly located on the corner of Sixth and Francis Streets, and is a well kept and highly popular house.  An addition of 45x52 feet three and a half stories high, is being made.  This will render the entire depth of the building 120 feet.  The street car line turns the corner near which this hotel stands.
The St.Charles Hotel
on the corner of Charles and Fifth Streets, was opened September 1st, 1880, by the present proprietor, C.Q. Lewis, who made large additions to the original building, which he entirely remodeled.  In the fall of 1881, an additon of thirty five rooms is to be made rendering it one of the largest hotels in the city.  It is an excellent house.
The Hutton House
on the corner of Ninth and Felix Streets, was completed in the summer of 1881.  It is a handsome brick structure, modern in all its appointments and well kept.
Source: The History of Buchanan County
 






Return to Index

Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved by original submitters