Buchanan County, Missouri
Fires, Accidents, Train Wrecks and other Calamities


Unknown Victims-.
The St. Joseph Gazette, of Friday last, says: “Yesterday morning, about day-break, the dead body of an unknown man was found on the Cameron Branch of the Hannibal & St. Joseph Railroad, near Liberty. The body was cut in two, just above the abdomen and horribly mangled. The body had evidently been run over by a passenger train. Nothing was known as to how the man came upon the track-whether he committed suicide or was killed and the body placed on the track by his murderers.”
The Quincy Whig, Saturday, June 26, 1869, Page1, [transcribed by Debbie Gibson]

The St. Joseph papers say that a grass hopper attacked a little girl in that city, a few days ago, doing considerable injury to her ear.
The Quincy Whig, Saturday, June 26, 1869, Page1, [transcribed by Debbie Gibson]

On Friday morning last, at St. Joseph, a colored woman found a living white babe, about two weeks old, in an empty freight car belonging to the Hannibal and St. Joe railroad company.
The Quincy Whig, Saturday, June 26, 1869, Page1, [transcribed by Debbie Gibson]

St. Joseph, Mo., May 12 – The train crew of the Burlington passenger train from Omaha this evening reported a race with the cyclone near Island Park, Iowa, barely escaping from the tornado which they reported wrecked a bunk train containing a number of foreigners who had been working on the track. Six men were reported killed and a score injured. The bunk train had been moved from Bartlett, Iowa earlier in the day.
[Source: The Quincy Daily Whig, Quincy IL, May 13, 1908 Submitted by Debbie Gibson - 2008]

Guy Ardell
colored, of 711 Richardson, lost his left foot Sunday night when he tried to beat a Burlington train across Cherry Street.
Source: St. Joseph Observer, St. Joseph, MO. August 12, 1922

J.E. Artis
a farmer who resides on the Karnes road, had his right thigh broken Thursday when a delivery truck turned over with him.
Source: The St. Joseph Observer, St. Joseph, MO., January 15, 1918

John Joseph Barczak
John Joseph Barczak, a private soldier, while en route from Omaha to this city Wednesday night stepped into the toliet room of a Burlington train on which he was a passenger and shot himself through the head, dying almost instantly.  The body was taken from the train and sent to the home of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Martin Bareczak, from which place he was buried
Thursday.  he was in civilian clothes at the time and it is thought that he left the camp without leave and feared the consequences.  He was a former mail carrier from the St. Joseph postoffice and was taken into service at Camp Funston last August.
Source: The St. Joseph Observer, St. Joseph, Mo. Nov. 2, 1918

James Bateman
a demonstrator for the lawler Motor Co., was severely injured Wednesday when a tire on his machine blew out, causing him to collide with a car driven by James Butler.  He was taken to Noyes Hospital.
Source: The St. Joseph Observer, St. Joseph, Mo., June 22, 1918

Thomas Billups
28 years of age of near Halls Station, while hunting ducks on Singleton Lake Monday, accidentally[it is supposed] blew the top of his head off with his shotgun.  He was to have been married the next day.
Source: The St. Joseph Observer, St. Joseph, MO., October 2, 1915

Frank Blair-
a boy about 12 years of age, and son of a respectable widow lady in St. Joseph, was attacked by three newsboys a few evenings since, one of them stabbing him with a small penknife opposite the left kidney.
Source: COLE COUNTY DEMOCRAT, Jefferson City, Fri., 12 August, 1887, p1. Typed by Joanne Scobee Morgan

Mr. Blakely
A Mr. Blakely of Iowa, was lately burned to death, by being caught in a prarie fire near St. Joseph, Missouri.
Source: The Brooklyn Daily Eagle, Brooklyn, NY Jan. 27, 1852

Napoleon Brown
On the 26th, Napoleon Brown and Frank Dean were riding together on a saddle horse, in Platte County, Missouri, when a quarrel took place between them which resulted in Dean stabbing Brown twenty-one times, killing him instantly.  Brown was nineteen years old and a son of Judge Thomas Brown, of Buchanan County, Missouri.
Source: The Cambria Freeman, Ebensburg PA, Jan. 5, 1871

Frank W. Bryant
34 years of age was accidentally stabbed and killed by John Cahill, a fellow workman.  The two who were Morris packing plant employes were scuffling.
Source: The St. Joseph Observer, St. Joseph, MO. Oct. 16, 1915

Buchanan County Courthouse
The Buchanan County Courthouse at St. Joseph, Mo., was partially destroyed by fire on the 28th involving a losss of $250,000.  W.B. McNutt, chief of the fire department, was fatally injured.
Source: Mower County Transcript, April 8, 1885, submitted by Robin Line.

Charles Clauser
Engineer Charles Clauser, who was so severely injured in an accident on the St. J. and D.C. railroad near Troy, Kansas, a few weeks ago, has considerably improved.  He came to St. Joseph yesterday and took quarters at the Iowa house on South Eighth street. While he was in Troy he stopped at the higby house, and was attended by Dr. Ashmead.  He also received the kindest attention from many of the citizens of Troy.  Charley expresses himself in the highest terms of praise for the treatment he received at the hands of the proprietors of the Higby house, the laddies of the house who paid especial attention to his wants, the doctor and other citizens of Troy.  He is getting along aw well as could be expected and will soon recover his former strength and vigor.
Source: The St. Joseph Weekly Gazette, St. Joseph, MO, Jan. 2, 1879

Charles Copeland
As the result of trying to knock out a bartender in a "dry" saloon on Sunday night, Charles Copeland, a coal hauler thirty six years of age, who had been employed by John W. Bruce, is dead and Clarence Stacy, the bartender who shot him, was placed under arrest the same night.  Stacy was employed at the Shay salon on Sixth and Patee.  This saloon is a "dry" one, nothing but temperance drinks being sold there.  On Sunday night Copeland was in the place and made so much noise that Stacy put him out.

This enraged Copeland and he went across the street, found a pick handle and going back to the saloon knocked in a window, and then after announcing to Stacy that he was going to "get him," started for the latter with his club elevated.  The latter grabbed a revolver and let fly.  After the fourth shot Copeland went down shot through the right lung, from which wound he died a short time later.  Copeland is survived by his mother, Mrs. W.D. Woods of this city and by two brothers and one sister.

The police state that the saloon in which the killing occurred, although it sells no liquor, and is a "dry" saloon, has caused them no end of trouble on account of the rough crowd which fathers there.  After an inquest Stacy was released, no blame attached to him.
Source: St. Joseph Observer, St. Joseph, MO, Dec. 20, 1919

The little son of James Y. Craig, the avenue blacksmith, while coasting on Tenth street yesterday, ran into one of the street cars on the avenue line and was severly hurt.
Source: The St. Joseph Weekly Gazette, St. Joseph, MO, Jnauary 2, 1879

Frances Crepolewki killed While Joy Riding
A joy ride on the Saxton road Monday night came to a sudden and fatal halt when the big car of Dr. J.H. Sampson, with Frank Stevenson at the wheel, plunged over a bank while he was driving at high speed and the party, composed of Frances and Tillie Crepolewski, 15 and 18 years of age of 824 Warsaw Avenue, Bessie Smith, twenty years old, 1412 South Eleventh street; Anna Ushler, 812 South Twentieth, and Eva and Edith Cox, 805 South Eleventh street and Carmen Williamson, 1409 South Eleventh street, landed in the bottom of the ravine.

When help came Frances Crepolewski was dead and her sister was taken to Noyes hospital with a fractured skull.  The other occupants of the care were more or less injured, but none of them dangerously.  Stevenson had picked up the girls and gone on a joy ride.  The car was badly wrecked.
Source: The St. Joseph Observer, St. Joseph Mo, June 22, 1918

John Crook
Atchison Kas, March 24
J.M. Sego, a farmer living two miles east of East Atchison, across the Missouri river in Missouri, was shot and instantly killed by John Crook and his son, Will, at 4:30 o'clock this afternoon.   Sego was unarmed.  The trouble began a month ago, Sego's son, Orsey, attends the Atchison High school and "kept company" with Beulah Crook, daughter of John Crook.  Young Sego's parents thought he neglected his studies for the girl and tried to stop the courting.  The families are close neighbors.  John Crook went to the Sego home a month ago and called Sego out.  They started a fist fight and then drew knives.  Mrs. Crook appeared and tried to part them.  She got between them and received a knife cut in the abdoment.  Crook blamed Sego for cutting her, while Sego asserted Crook cut her while reaching around her to get him.

As Sego was getting into his buggy in front of Harvey & Allens store today Will Crook came out of Keene's Saloon and approached him.  They had words and Sego stepped back on the store porch.  John Crook then came out of the saloon.  There was further quarreling and Crook drew a revolver and fired.  Sego staggered towards his overcoat and young Crook drew his pistol and began firing.  One entered the left side and pierced the heart.  The other entered the right side and penetrated the lungs.

Young Crook fled through the saloon and crossed the river on a skiff to Kansas.  John Crook remarked to a bystander, "He cut my wife with a knife.  I killed him and am glad of it."  Then he got on his horse and went home, hwere he was arrested by a deputy sheriff from St. Joseph.  County Coroner Banshack held an autopsy this afternoon and the inquest will be held Monday.  The body is now at _____undertaking establishment in Atchison.  Seven men witnessed the shooting.

Sego leaves a wife and two children. Mrs. Sego has been very ill since the first fight and is not expected to recover.  Sego was foreman at the Armour ice plant at Sugar Lake for fifteen years.
Source: Kansas City Star, Kansas City, MO. March 25, 1906
Mr. L.D. Davidson
St. Joseph, Missouri

Mr. L. D. Davidson of St. Joseph Drowned
St. Joseph, Mo., Sept. 11 – The body of Mr. L. D. Davidson, proprietor of the drug store in the Tootie Theater building, who was drowned Saturday night in Lake Contrary, was recovered yesterday afternoon after a search of nearly twenty hours.
(The Guthrie Daily Leader; Guthrie, Oklahoma; September 12, 1893. Transcribed as written by D. Donlon)

Mrs. Josephine Davis
2804 Felix, was struck by a motor car driven by Frank Clayton of Clearfield, Iowa, Wednesday and considerably bruised.
Source: St. Joseph Observer, St. Joseph, MO, August 12, 1922

R.M. Davis and Dr. Delamater
R.M. Davis and Dr. Delamter's cars collied at Tenth and Faraon, Tuesday night, and both machines were much the worse for the war after the engagement.
Source: The St. Joseph Observer, St. Joseph, MO, Feb. 14, 1920

Ben Edwards
Mistaking a south window of the county court room for a door, Ben Edwards partially blind and aged, walked through it and fell 144 feet to the ground.  He was sent to the county farm and will recover from the accident.
Source: The St. Joseph Observer, St. Joseph Mo., Sept. 7, 1918

Lynn Fellison
the six year old son of Mr. and Mrs. Harry Fellison, was painfully burned about the face Holloween Night
Source: The St. Joseph Observer, St. Joseph MO, Nov. 8, 1919

Fontes Child
The Collision in the Gulf, Further Particulars-List of the Lost
Dispatches from New Orleans, several days ago, informed us of the collision in the Gulf of Mexico, between the steamer Opelousas and Galveston, by which the former was sunk and many of her passengers lost.  The New Orleans papers of the 18th contains some particulars of the disaster.  The Galveston was on her way from Galveston, Texas to Berwick's Bay, and the Opelousas from Berwick's Bay for Galveston.  The Opelousas was struck amidships and went down in twenty minutes.  The Galveston was but slightly damaged, and succeded in rescuing many of the passengers from the deck of the sinking steamer.  The subjoined list of the lost is from the New Orleans Picayune.:
List of those know to be Lost:
General J. Mailton, of South Carolina
Judge Jno. C. Cleland, New Orleans
A.J. Voories, Princeton, N.J.
Mr. Smith, mother and young lady, St. Louis, Mo.
Miss Lucy Williams, Lavacca
C.W. Wilmot, Hardin Co. KY; body saved
One Child of C.W. Wilmot, KY.
Miss Mary Pettway, Nashville, TN
McFarland, late mate steamship, Jsper
Two Children of Geo. Williams, Columbia, TX
One Child of Mrs. Fontes, Buchanan County, MO.
August Mendell, Dewit County, TX
Sunn, Navarro, TX
One Negro girl beloing to Mr. Hushberg
One Negro boy, third cook on Opelousas
Source: Glasgow Weekly Times, Glasgow, MO> Dec. 3, 1857

Louis Fuelling
the ten year old son of Mrs. Maude Fuelling, was painfully injured Sunday afternoon when he was struck by a Prospect Avenue car on Rosine street.  The boy was riding a bicycle and it is supposed lost control of the machine.
Source: The St. Joseph Observer, St. Joseph, Mo., April 6,1918

W.P. Fulkerson
Sparks falling on the roof of the residence of W.P. Fulkerson, 2406 Duncan street, Sunday forenoon, set the building on fire and before the blaze was under control damage to the extent of $8,000 had resulted.
Source: The St. Joseph Observer, St. Joseph, MO., Dec. 20, 1919

Levert Gaut
twenty one years of age, was pulling a shot gun from a row boat at Lower Lake Contrary Tuesday when it was accidentally discharged, the charge entering his abdomen and killing him instantly.  He leaves a young wife.
Source: The St. Joseph Observer, St.Joseph, MO, April 13, 1918

Graham, Matt
Matt Graham, a brakeman on the C.B. &Q. had his hand mashed yesterday at Bedford, and was brought to the city last night for treatment at the hospital of the Hospital-Medical College.
Source: St. Joseph Herald, St. Joseph, MO., Jan. 1, 1882

Rodman Graves
While walking on the railroad tracks at St. Joseph the other night, Rodman Graves, a laborer was struck by a passenger train and killed.
Source: Potosi Journal, Potosi, MO, Feb. 19, 1896

Joe Levy
of 1213 North Third street suffered a broken collar bone and a number of bad cuts and bruises when he drove his Ford flivver pell-mell into a Dodge car that was parked on North Fourth.  Levy is said to have been intoxicated.
Source: The St. Joseph Observer, St. Joseph, Mo., Aug. 114, 1920

Lowell Hatfield
Information received Monday was to the effect that Lowell Hatfield, 17 years of age, a son of Mrs. James Hatfield, 820 South Fifteenth street, who was in the naval school at the Great Lakes, had lost an arm in an accident.
Source: The St. Joseph Observer, ST. Joseph, MO., Feb. 14, 1920

Dick Hayes
Fire caused by an overheated stove destroyed the two story dwelling of Dick Hayes, 2131 South Third street, early Wednesday morning.  The loss was about $1,800.
Source: The St. Joseph Observer, St. Joseph, Mo., January 17, 1920

Hazard Powder Company
Early on the morning of the 2d, the powder magazine of the Hazard Powder Company, at St. Joseph, Mo., was struck by lightning and exploded.  The magazine contained eight and one-half tons of powder.  The shock was terrific.  All the houses in the vicinity were partially wrecked.
Source: Mower County Transcript, April 8, 1885, page 1,Lansing, MN., submitted by Robin Line

Mrs. Vina Higginbotham
1619 Buchanan Ave. fell from a ladder Tuesday and fractured both wrists.
Source: The St. Joseph Observer, St. Joseph, Mo., July 13, 1918

J.J. Hunter's
residence, 2602 Renick, was destroyed by fire Tuesday, Loss, $3,000.
Source: The St. Joseph Observer, St. Joseph, MO. Feb. 2, 1918

Mrs. Percy Hutton
of 110 Indiana Avenue, while out riding on Noyes Avenue Sunday, was struck by a spent ball fired by a hunter in the timber nearby.  The bullet penetrated her nose, causing a severe wound.
Source: The St. Joseph Observer, St. Joseph, Mo. August 10, 1918

Mina M. Ide
twenty nine years of age, the wife of William Ide, a motor car salesman, shot herself in the head Monday at the home of her sister, Mrs. Maude Hale, near Saxton.  She had been separated from her husband for about a year.  The funeral occurred Wednesday.
Source: The St. Joseph Observer, St. Joseph, Mo., July 13, 1918

Mrs. C.E. Irwin
707 South Seventeenth, was run down by M. Hollingsworth's motor Wednesday and considerably bruised.
Source: The St. Joseph Observer, St. Joseph Missouri, July 6, 1918

James Jones-
When James M. Jones, a street car conductor, stepped behind a southbound street car Wednesday he was struck by a motor car and his left leg fractured in two places.
[source: Custer Co. Republican, Broken Bow NE, May 3, 1900. Transcribed by: Melody Beery]

Mrs. Armina Joyner and Ira Mozingo
Mrs. Armina Joyner, sixty two years of age of this city, and Ira Mozoingo of Maryville were struck Saturday in North St. Joseph by a car driven by G.W. Despain, a farmer, who lives north of the city.  Mrs. Joyner was killed and Mozingo considerably bruised.  Despain was arrested.  He claims the brakes would not work.
Source: The St. Joseph Observer, St. Joseph, Mo. July 20, 1918

George Kearnes and Earl Shimer
George, the thirteen year old son of Mr. and Mrs. Same Kearnes, 2723 Belle street, ws run over by a tractor on the Shimer arm east of the 102 river Monday night, and died at a hospital here Tuesday.  Earl Shimer, another boy with him, was also run over and seriously hurt.  The two boys went to sleep in the field and were run over before the tractor engineer saw them.
Source: The St. Joseph Observer, St. Joseph, MO. August 10, 1918

Jess Knight
of 2223 South sixth was knocked down by a motor car has he stepped from a street car Thursday near his home and before he could pick himself up a following car ran over him.  Charles Rome and Mike Hehenan, drivers of the cars were arrested.
Source: The St. Joseph Observer, St. Joseph, Mo, May 11, 1918

Jesse Knight
An inquest over the body of Jesse W. Knight, who was run down by a motor, failed to establish the blame.
Source The St. Joseph Observer, St. Joseph, Mo., May 18 1918

Bert Linton-
Bert Linton was severely injured late Sunday night when his automobile collided with a street car at Sixth and Oak St.
[source: Custer Co. Republican, Broken Bow NE, May 3, 1900. Transcribed by: Melody Beery]

Livestock Exchange
The Live Stock Exchange building in South St. Joseph was totally destroyed by fire at an early hour Sunday morning.  it contained the offices of the stockyards company, offices of nearly all the commission men, stockyards bank, postoffice, telegraph office, etx.  Much of the contents of the building was saved.  The aggregate loss is $20,300.  The total insurance is $5,000.  This is on the building alone.  The occupants were uninsured.  The building was valued at $9,000.  When constructed it cost $12.000.

The fire started in the office of the Missouri & Kansas Telephone company on the third floor of the Exchange building.  The room was very small being only three by six feet in dimensions, and was heated by a small gasoline stove.  Miss Hall, the exchange operator, oocupies the room during the day time and Jimmie McDaniels, an office boy, at night.  The alarm was sounded at 5 o'clock a.m.  The boy does not know how the fire started but the stove or coal oil lamp suspended above it was the cause.  It is believed the heat from the stove burst the lamp and the oil took fire from the stove, spreading over the woodwork. 

The night watchman was the first one to arrive upon the scene in response to the boy's shouts.  He turned in the alarm.  The switch engine which was then in the yards, responded with its whistle.  The noise made by the switch engine awoke the engineer at the Hammond plant, who responded vigorusly with his whistle.  The stockyards fire department arrived first at the fire and in a short time had the hose attached to the hydrants, but the stockyards pumping station could not give force enough to the water to throw it up into the second story of the exchange.

About this time Superintendent Sack put in an appearnace and seeing the condition of the affairs ran to the new hog yards to turn on the city water, but before he could turn it on the fire had got beyond the control of the firemen.  The city fire department also answered the call, but owing to the distance they had to go, they were unable to arrive in time to put out the fire before it had entirely ruined the building.

The postoffice fixtures and mail, books and papers of the Union LiveStock Company, books and valuable papers of Davis, McDonald & Davis, and the office furniture of the Stock Yards Company wre saved from the flames.  The books, valuable papers and records of the Stock Yards company and the Stock Yards Bank, which were in the vault of the Stock Yards company were uninjured.
Source: St. Josephy Weekly Herald, St. Joseph, MO, Dec. 1, 1898

Alice Long
The four year old daughter, Alice, of Mr. and Mrs. L.F. Long of 605 Colorado, was accidently burned by having her closthes fired from a match she found Monday evening and so severe were the burns that she died Tuesday.
Source: St. Joseph Observer, St. Joseph Mo., Sept. 7, 1918

Isaac May
A man named Isaac May, a wealthy farmer of Buchanan County, Missouri, last Sunday fell from a hay-mow, some twelve feet, and was taken up speechless and insensible, and it was feared that his injuries would prove fatal.
Source: The Atchison Daily Chmapion, Atchison, KS, Jan. 23, 1873

Joseph McComber
a farmer of near Lake Contrary, was seriously injured in a runaway accident on King Hill avenue Tuesday afternoon.
[Source: The St. Joseph Observer, St. Joseph, Mo., October 2, 1915]

Toney Morton-Pearl Wright
As Toney Morton, the colored mail collector was driving his route Tuesday night, a car driven by Miss Pearl Wright, ran into his car.  Both vehicles were considerably smashed.
Source: The St. Joseph Observer, St. Joseph, MO, Feb. 14, 1920

Payne, Adam
We understand, says the St. Joseph, Missouri Beacon that Mr. Adam Payne, a traveling preacher, who passed hear on his way to the State of Illinois was killed a week or two since, sixty or seventy miles on the other side of Chicago, by the Indians.
Source: The Evening Post, New York, NY, Jul. 9, 1832

Annie and Lena Payne
The Misses Annie and Lena Payne, the two young ladies who were injured a few days ago in a runaway down Messanie street from near the convent have sufficiently recovered to be removed to the residence of their brother William T. Payne residing in the lower part of the city.  Major H.C. Farris and his kind and generous wife have done all they could to make them comfortable during their stay there.
Source: The St. Joseph Daily Gazette, St. Joseph, Mo, July 24, 1883

Walter F. Patton
constable, was seriously hurt in an automobile accident at Delevan, IL last Sunday.  He was brought home Monday.
Source: The St. Joseph Observer, St. Joseph, Mo. January 5, 1918

Ernest Payne
Six year old Ernest Payne rode his coaster into a Union Line car at Fifth and Francis Wednesday, and succeeded in fracturing his right leg.
Source: The St. Joseph Observer, St. Joseph, Mo., Jan. 17, 1920

Everett Peabody-
A Trooper Drowned at St. Joseph.
St. Joseph, Mo.—The first accidental death at Camp Everett Penbody, where 6,000 regulars are encamped, occurred Thursday when Private John H. McCawl of Baltimore, Md., Troop M, Seventh cavalry, was drowned in Lake Contrary.
[Alma, Wabaunsee County, Kansas October 2, 1908 Page 2 - Barb Z. -2009]

Peter Pickett
17 years of age, who was assaulted on the Saxton road Tuesday night by S.J. Citte, is in a dangerous condition and likely to die at any time.
Source: The St. Joseph Observer, St. Joseph, Mo., Jan. 24, 1920

Samuel Rubenstein
a seven year old boy, was badly cut about the head and face in a motor car collision at Tenth and Olive
Source: The St. Joseph Observer, St. Joseph Mo, June 22, 1918

Alexander Sander
a butcher in the employ of Mueller Bros., at St. Joseph, was the victim of an accident a few nights ago which will result fatally.  While driving a wild Texas steer into the slaughter house, the animal turned upon him, goring him in the abdomen, inflicting a horrible wound.  Sander has a wife and two children dependent upon him for support.
source: The Tribune, Union, Missouri, Aug. 19, 1887.

Elmina Sledge
a negro woman was found at her home, 405 North Second street, Tuesday with a bulletwound in her right shoulder.  She claimed that she did not know how it was inflicted.
Source: The St. Joseph Observer, St. Joseph, Mo., Jan. 17, 1920

Beulah Smith
seventeen years of age of 2424 Edmond, was run down by S.C. Clark of Rea, MO., at Eighth and Edmond Wednesday afternoon and was considerably injured.
Source: The St. Joseph Observer, St. Joseph, MO., August 10, 1918

Martha Tate, a negress, living at 507 North Second street while burning trash in the back yard of her home accidnetly had her clothes ignited and suffered severe burns thursday afternoon, but when the police ambulance arrived refused to be taken to the hospital for treatment.
Source: The St. Joseph Observer, St. Joseph, Mo. Aug. 31, 1918

Phonney Tong, 36 years old and his son Richard, 9 years old  were drowned at Union Mills near Edgerton, Tuesday.
Source: St. Joseph Observer, St. Joseph, MO, August 12, 1922

About two months ago Mrs. George O. Walker left her husband, who had for some time abused and mistreated her.  Wednesday morning Mrs. Walker and her son by a former marriage were engaged in moving into a new home at 919 South Eighteenth street when Walker appeared and entering the house attacked his wife with a razor.  In the struggle she managed to escape when her husband drew the razor across his throat, gashing it sufficiently to sever the jugular.  He then staggered into another room and feel across a bed, from which he was removed and taken to Noyes Hospital where he died a short time later.  He leaves his parents and one sister and one brother.  Mrs. Walker was not seriously injured in the struggle.  The coroner decided no inquest was necessary.
Source: The St. Joseph Observer, St. Joseph MO, Sept. 7, 1918

Lucille Watson
While riding in a motor car Thursday afternoon near the Burlington shops on Sixth Street a motor car in which she was seated skidded and crashed into the picket fence which surrounds the shops and Mrs. Lucille Watson of Oklahoma City was so badly injured that she died while being conveyed to a local hospital in an ambulance.  A picket from the fence was driven almost through her body entering at the breast.  In the car with her at the time was Miss Lillian Mauntel and Mrs. C.L. Morgan of Kansas City and R.C. Watson, the husband of the dead woman.  The car was not going fast at the time.
Source: The St. Joseph Observer, St. Joseph, Mo., Sept. 14, 1918

Constantine Wegenek
While he was standing on a railroad bridge near Clair station seven miles east of this city Sunday, waiting for a train to come along to bring him back from a hunting trip, the gun which Constatine Wegenek, twenty six years of age, slipped and fell, the hammer striking a railroad tie and discharging the weapon, the charge striking the unfortunate young man in the face and doing what German bullets which he had faced for two years had not accomplished---killing Wegenek instantly.
Source: The St. Joseph Observer, St. Joseph, Mo., Nov. 1, 1919

Mattie West
Because she was despondent, Mrs. Mattie West of 323 North 13th street, turned on the gas in her home Tuesday in an attempt to end her life, but was discovered by Harvey Hinckly an insurance collector, who called to collect dues.  A lungmotor of William Fleeman, the undertaker, saved her life, iperated by Dr. E.S. Ballard.
Source: The St. Joseph Observer, St. Joseph, Mo, Sept. 7, 1918

Wilbur Westfall
While he was asleep Sunday night Wilbur Westfall, 2023 North Third street knocked over a bottle of chloroform standing at the head of his bed, and when found was about all in.
Source: The St. Joseph Observer, St. Joseph, MO, Feb. 14, 1920

 Ethel Wood,
 Miss Ethel Wood 1711 Washington Avenue, was saved from droning in the lake Sunday when a boat capsized.  The well directed effors of Charles Kerr, a fifteen year old boy, brought her safely ashore.
Source: The St. Joseph Observer, St. Joseph, Mo. Aug. 14, 1920




Return to Index


Copyright  Genealogy Trails  All Rights Reserved with Full Rights Reserved for Original Contributor