Callaway County, Missouri Genealogy Trails

Biographies
" B "

 

Bell, Daniel W., merchant, was born February 27, 1831, in the little city of Salisbury, Maryland, and died in St. Louis, September 4, 1882. His genius for merchandising came to him as a legitimate inheritance, his father and both his paternal and maternal grandfathers having been noted merchants in their day. Henry Bell, the father of Daniel W. Bell, was in his day one of the most successful merchants of Kentucky, having been engaged for thirty years in business at Lexington, the chief city of the famous bluegrass region. In that city the son grew up, and he was educated at Transylvania University. After quitting school he was trained to the business of merchandising under the sagacious tutorage of his father, beginning as a salesman in the store at Lexington. His tact, courtesy and intelligent comprehension of the underlying principles of trade and commerce made it evident early in 'his career that he was fitted for operations in a broad commercial field, and within a few years he was admitted to a partnership in his father's business, and became recognized as an influential factor in its conduct and management. In 1859 the firm of Henry Bell & Son opened a wholesale dry goods house in St. Louis, of which Daniel W. Bell, the junior-partner, took entire charge. Under his management its trade was extended to all parts of the West, and in the region this side of the Alleghanies there was no business house which had a higher commercial standing or sustained a more important relationship to the trade. In 1875 the elder Bell withdrew from the firm, and thereafter, until a short time before his death, Daniel W. Bell continued at the head of the house, a conspicuous figure in the Western business world.
[Source: Encyclopedia of the History of Missouri Volume 1: Edited by Howard Louis Conard; Publ. 1901; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack.]

Bell, Morris Fred, Adjutant General of Missouri, was born at Hagerstown, Maryland, in 1849. His father, Frederick Bell, was a native of Maryland, as was also his mother, whose maiden name was Susan Tritle. His father was born in 1811, and was a prominent citizen of Washington County, of which. he was county judge for a number of years. General Bell's grandfather, Captain Peter Bell, was a leader in the Revolutionary War. His grandfather on his mother's side, Frederick Tritle, was a prominent merchant of Waynesboro, Pennsylvania. General Bell was educated in Pittsburg, Pennsylvania, as an architect. In 1867 he located at Martinsburgh, West Virginia, where he remained until 1869, when he removed to Missouri, settling at Fulton, Callaway County. Here he engaged in his profession as an architect and met with marked success. In 1886 he was selected as State architect for Asylum No. 3, erected at Nevada, Missouri, and in 1889 for the new fireproof Deaf and Dumb Asylum at the same place. In 1893 his plans were accepted for the rebuilding of the State University at Columbia, Missouri. Here he was engaged until 1895. In addition to superintending the erection of these State institutions, he was also the architect of the Boys' Reform School at Boonville, erected in 1889, and of a number of colleges and courthouses all over the West, including the Orphan School at Fulton, Missouri, erected at a cost of $40,000. General Bell has held a number of public offices. In 1889 he was appointed a member of the board of managers of the Reform School for Boys at Boonville, by Governor Moorehouse. In 1891 Governor Francis appointed him a member of the board of managers for the Fulton Deaf and Dumb Asylum, of which he served as president for a number of years, and in 1895 he was reappointed as a member of the same board by Governor Stone. The latter also appointed him paymaster general of the State militia in 1893, and in 1897 he was appointed Adjutant General by Governor Stephens. In July, 1898, President McKinley, out of recognition of his merits as a military officer, and in compliment to the economical and judicious way in which he had organized the 9,000 Missouri volunteers, appointed him as Assistant Adjutant General of the United States. This appointment, however, was declined by General Bell, as he preferred to remain on duty in his State. In politics General Bell has always been a Democrat and an active party worker. In religion he is a Protestant and a member of the Presbyterian Church. In 1898 he was elected grand commander of the Knights Templar, to hold for the term ending April, 1899. He is also a member of the order of Odd Fellows. General Bell was married, in 1873, to Miss Marie Dreps, of Fulton, daughter of Joseph and Mary Dreps. Her father was a native of Prussia, and her mother of England. They immigrated to America in 1835, resided in St. Louis until 1850, and then removed to Fulton. General Bell is one of the incorporators and president of the Sun Printing Company, which publishes the "Fulton Sun," one of the most influential country papers in the State.
[Source: Encyclopedia of the History of Missouri Volume 1: Edited by Howard Louis Conard; Publ. 1901; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack.]

Boone, Banton Gallitin, an eminent lawyer, was born October 23, 1838, in Callaway County, Missouri, and died at Clinton, Missouri, February 2, 1900. He was descended from the famous pioneer, Daniel Boone, through both his parents, Banton Gallitin Boone and Elizabeth Boone, and the maiden name of the mother was the same as was her married name. The father was a physician, who came to Missouri in 1818, first locating in Callaway County, thence removing to Pike County, and finally returning to Callaway County, where he died. The son, Banton G. Boone, was but three months old when his father died. Until he was twelve years of age he lived with his maternal grandparents, and when sixteen years of age he began work in a printing office at Troy, Missouri. In 1856 he went to Clinton, Missouri, and although without friends or means, he there began a career which became eminently successful. He soon obtained appointment as deputy circuit clerk, and occupied the position for about four years. At the end of this time, although he had never attended school a single day, he was a well informed young man, who had devoted his night hours not only to the acquisition of an English education, but to reading law. In 1860 he was admitted to the bar, at Clinton, by Judge Foster P. Wright. He had scarcely begun practice when the Civil War began, and he entered the Confederate service. When peace was restored he returned to Clinton, and resumed practice, soon coming to be recognized as one of the foremost lawyers of western Missouri. In 1884 he was elected Attorney General of the State of Missouri, and acquitted himself in a manner which brought him the highest encomiums from the most distinguished jurists. During his term of service he represented the State in the Maxwell murder case, in the Supreme Court of Missouri, and in the Supreme Court of the United States. In his official capacity, he was of counsel in the Hannibal & St. Joseph Railway bond case, and appeared before the Supreme Court of the United States, where a judgment was rendered which saved to the State about one-half a million dollars. Well read in all departments of his profession, he particularly excelled in that of constitutional law. He was a forceful speaker, and at times rose to flights of eloquence. One of his most masterly efforts, for which he was warmly complimented by Chief Justice Henry, and Judges Ray, Sherwood, Black and Norton, was a memorial address delivered upon the death of Judge Waldo P. Johnson, before the Supreme Court of Missouri. His address on the celebrated Birch vs. Benton slander case was a unique production, and. has an enduring place in professional literature. He was a man of broad and liberal information, courteous in his bearing, and while tenacious of his views in upholding Democratic principles, he was tolerant of the opinions of others. In 1874 he was elected to the Legislature, from Henry County, by the largest majority ever received by a candidate in that county, and upon taking his seat was elected Speaker, defeating General James Shields. In 1887 he was appointed by Governor Marmaduke as a commissioner to the Centennial Anniversary of the Adoption of the Federal Constitution, at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; and in 1889 he was appointed by Governor Morehouse as a delegate from Missouri to the Centennial Anniversary of the Inauguration of President George Washington, at New York. He was married June 4, 1874, to Miss Irene Rogers, a daughter of Dr. John A. Rogers, of Clinton, Missouri. Her mother was a sister of Major General Gorman, once Governor of Minnesota, and United States Senator from that State, and a cousin of Senator Gorman, of Maryland.
[Source: Encyclopedia of the History of Missouri Volume 1: Edited by Howard Louis Conard; Publ. 1901; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack.]

Boulware, Theodrick C., physician, a native Missourian and the leader of the medical profession in Bates County, was born in Callaway County, son of Stephen G. and Mary (Ratekin) Boulware. The former was a native of Kentucky, and a son of Theodrick Boulware, who was born in Essex County, Virginia, in 1780. Early in the life of the latter, and in the year 1784, his parents removed from Virginia to Kentucky. At that time he was a mere boy, and, with the rest of the family, walked the entire distance, pack horses being employed to carry the necessary household goods. The records of that State show that they were numbered among the founders of the Commonwealth. They were constantly surrounded by the dangers incident to life in the wilderness at that period, and it is related of them that when they went to church the head of the family always carried his musket on his shoulder to save his family in the event of attack by Indians, who were then numerous and warlike in that region. The Boulware family is of Scotch ancestry, though the date of the coming of the original ancestor to America is not known. Several representatives of the family have risen to positions of prominence, an uncle of the subject of this sketch, for many years a resident of Albany, New York, having been known as one of the most eminent physicians and surgeons of the Empire State. Stephen G., the father of Dr. Boulware, accompanied his parents from Kentucky to Missouri in 1826, in the pioneer days of the State. His father finally settled in Callaway County, near Fulton, where he developed a fine farm, and also preached in Fulton and the vicinity for many years. He
died, in 1868, at his daughter's plantation near Georgetown, Kentucky. As indicating his character and the principles which governed him, we transcribe the following rules, which he adopted soon after his marriage, when quite young, and which he adhered to throughout his life: First, read the Scripture and worship God in the family; second, use regular industry and prudent economy; third, never deal on credit or go in debt, except through unavoidable necessity; fourth, make expenses less than our regular profits; and, fifth, keep a regular book of both profits and expenses. Rev. Mr. Boulware was not a voluminous writer, but he published an autobiography, two or three volumes on doctrinal subjects, and a considerable number of sermons. The hardships to which the early settlers of the border States were subjected, and the necessity for their relying upon their own resources to develop their strong, self reliant natures, made them often men and women of marked mental characteristics. Stephen G. Boulware grew to manhood on his father's farm, married and raised a large family. His son, Dr. Theodrick C. Boulware, was reared at the old homestead and began his education in the common schools in the neighborhood. After his preparatory course he entered Westminster College, a Presbyterian institution at Fulton, where he pursued the scientific course. Upon leaving this school he became a student in the Missouri Medical College at St. Louis, from which he was graduated with the degree of doctor of medicine in 1868. In the same year he located for practice in Walnut Township, Bates County, but one year later removed to Butler, becoming one of the pioneers of that city, where he has remained ever since. At the time Dr. Boulware first opened an office at that point there were but eight or ten small houses in the town. Deer and other game were abundant in the neighborhood, and he could ride a distance of ten miles on the prairie without passing a single house, for, by the famous "Order No. n," of General Ewing, all houses in the surrounding country had been burned during the war for the purpose of depriving the Confederate forces of places of refuge. The courthouse in Butler was a small frame building, and the town had no railroad facilities. At that time Butler was the principal station on the stage route between Pleasant Hill and Fort Scott.
No roads had been laid out and no bridges spanned any of the numerous streams in that vicinity. Horses were not thought capable of breaking the sod of the raw prairie, and oxen were employed in the work. The doctor relates that he has seen as many as a thousand prairie chickens at one time, while herds of a dozen or fifteen deer were not uncommon. In the fall of 1874 he witnessed the memorable plague of grasshoppers. In the middle of the day they began to descend like snowflakes, literally covering the ground. Everything growing was destroyed in a few hours, and even the bark of trees was eaten. The insects deposited billions of eggs in the ground, and, with the amount of warm weather in 1875, a new generation created even greater havoc than the original pests. So general and complete was the devastation resulting from their ravages that the inhabitants of western Missouri were compelled to apply to the outside world for food to keep them from starvation. Even the common weeds were completely destroyed. But the marvelous part of the story is that the destructive visit of these pests was followed by the greatest yield of farm products that this section of the country has ever known. Upon the outbreak of the Civil War, Dr. Boulware, then a lad of sixteen years and a student in Westminster College, was seized with the martial fervor so common with boys at that time, and enlisted in the Confederate service. Though his expectations were that the demand for his services would cease at the end of two or three weeks, his services covered a period of four years, or until the close of the war. He at once became a member of the personal escort of General Sterling Price, remaining with that noted commander until the close of the conflict, and witnessing all the campaigns in which he participated. He was never seriously injured, though he had more than one narrow escape from injury or capture. Dr. Boulware has always exhibited a deep interest in matters pertaining to the advancement of his profession. For many years he has been a member of the American Medical Association, the Missouri State Medical Society, of which he has been vice president, the International Association of Railway Surgeons, and the Hodgen Medical Society, of which he has served as president. During the second administration of President Cleveland he was chairman of the local, board of pension examiners, and for a long period he has been the local surgeon for the Missouri Pacific Railroad Company. Though a lifelong Democrat, he has never sought or consented to fill public office. Fraternally he is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. He was one of the incorporators and is still a director in the Missouri State Bank, and is identified with other interests calculated to promote the welfare of the city of which he has for over thirty years been a prominent and influential citizen.
Dr. Boulware's first marriage occurred June 21, 1877, to Nettie Humphrey, a native of Iowa, and a daughter of A. H. Humphrey, for many years a resident of Bates County, Missouri. They had one child, who died in infancy. She died in 1882.
October 25, 1887, Dr. Boulware married for his second wife Miss Dixie Ostrom, of St. Louis, formerly a resident of Butler. She died April 26, 1896, leaving one son, John B. Boulware, now a resident of Butler. Though connected with no religious denomination, Dr. Boulware is a man of the highest moral character, and his professional career has been without spot or blemish. Of great liberality of heart, deeply interested in all matters pertaining to the well-being of the community in which he has resided so long, he has assisted in the promotion of numerous measures calculated to advance the material welfare of Butler. His record is that of a liberal, broad-minded, upright and useful member of society.
[Source: Encyclopedia of the History of Missouri Volume 1: Edited by Howard Louis Conard; Publ. 1901; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack.]

Burt.—Moses Burt was a native of Germany, but emigrated to America, and settled in New Jersey Times were very hard then, and wages very low. A great many persons were out of employment, and glad to work for a living. Burt worked several months for a peck of corn a day, and was glad to get that. About the year 1776 he married Hannah Gru, and removed to Culpepper county, Va. In 1783 he emigrated to Kentucky, and settled in Scott county, where he lived and died. He had ten children, six sons and four daughters. The names of the former were —Benjamin, Joseph, Richard, William, John, and James. Joseph and James were soldiers in the war of 1812. The former died, and the latter was killed on Lake Erie. Benjamin and Richard lived and died in Kentucky. John settled in Indiana. William was born in Culpepper county, Va., in 1776. He married Sarah Greenup, a daughter of Samuel Greenup, and niece of Governor Greenup, of Kentucky, and they had—Julia A., Polly, Franklin, Susan, Emily, Amanda, James, and Sarah. Polly died in Kentucky, and Mr. Burt and the rest of his children, with the exception of Franklin, removed to Indiana. Franklin married Martha Craig, and settled in Callaway county. Mo., in 1835, where he has since resided. His wife died in October, 1872. The names of their children were—William D., James R., Mary E., Samuel E., Nancy J., Hiram W., Sally A., John H., and Amanda M. Mr. Burt is an industrious, honest, jovial gentleman, and a worthy and highly respected citizen. He says that when he first settled in Callaway county he raised large quantities of watermelons every year, of which he could eat more than any other man living, his daily allowance being from fifteen to twenty large ones.

Bentley.—The children of John Bentley, of Warren county, Ky., were—Rebecca, John, James, Thomas, George, Mary, Nancy, and Rhoda. Rebecca married Uriah Sutherland, who settled in Callaway county in 1826. Thomas married Rhoda Hickerson, and settled in that county two years later. John married Rhoda Patton, and removed to Callaway county, where she died. He then married Amanda Scott, who also died, and he was married the third time to Mrs. Harriet Yancy. George was married first to Jane Hall, and second to Polly Singer.

Berry.—Richard, Edward, Frank, John, and Rachel Berry were children of an English family that settled in Kentucky at an early date. Richard married Polly Ewing, and settled in Darst's Bottom, St. Charles county, in 1820. Three years later he removed to Grand Prairie, in Callaway county. The names of his children were—Calep E., John, Edward G., Richard, Samuel H., Robert M., Elizabeth, Nancy, Margaret, and Mary J. Calep was at a public gathering of some kind, on a certain occasion, and seeing no convenient place to hitch his horse, he buckled the bridle to the stirrup of Colonel Warner's saddle. The Colonel's horse got loose after a while, and went home, a distance of twenty miles, taking Berry's horse with him. Both of the men had to walk the entire distance to recover their horses. Calep Berry married Virginia Fulkerson. John married Margaret Galbreth, and Edward G. married Sallie A. Galbreth. Richard was married twice ; first to Elizabeth Watts, and second to Mary Hamilton. Samuel H. was Sheriff of Callaway county two years. He married Eliza Watts. Robert was married first to Permelia Martin, and second to Elmily A. Scholl. Elizabeth was married first to Thomas Yocum, and second to John Watts. Nancy married John W. Johnson. Mary J. married James B. Yager.

Brown.—Joseph Brown, of Buckingham county, Va., married his cousin, Lucy Brown, and they had—Nathaniel, Frederick, Felix, Jonathan, James, Thomas, Stephen, Polly, and Patsey. Felix married Agnes Boaz, of Buckingham county, in 1808, and settled in St, Charles county, Mo., in 1819. The following year he removed to Callaway county. His children were—Joseph, Robert J., Elizabeth, Polly, William, John, Delila T., Jane, Martha L., Harriet, James, Paulina A., and Thomas F. " Mr. Brown was a soldier in the war of 1812. He was also a steam doctor, and an Ironside Baptist preacher. For many  years he wore a long buckskin hunting shirt, reaching almost to his heels, which caused him to present a singular appearance. He wore this strange garb in the pulpit as well as everywhere else, and his congregations no doubt imagined that he bore a strong resemblance to the patriarchs of old. He was very positive in his opinions, and would never admit that he was in the wrong on any question, if he could possibly avoid it. He believed that he could do anything that any other man could, and one day he endeavored to temper a cross-cut saw that belonged to one of his neighbor's. The saw was ruined, and the owner sued him for its value. The case went though a number of courts, and was the source of a great deal of amusement.

Boswell.—Matthew Boswell, of Albemarle county, Va., was a cooper by trade. He married Nancy Maire, and settled in Callaway county, Mo., in 1835. Their children were—Barbara, Marj-. Marshall P., Elizabeth, Harriet, John H., Frances, Matthew M., James W., Thomas, and Martha M. Barbara married Willis Hall, who settled in Callaway county in 1835. Elizabeth married James Simpson, who became a citizen of that county in 1836. He subsequently died, and she was married again to John Blunkall, who settled in Callaway county in 1834. Harriet was married first to Robert Ansel, and after his death to John Bentley, both early settlers of Callaway county. Frances married James Field. Martha M. married Abraham Brendonburgh.

Bethel.—Samuel Bethel, of Smith county, Tennessee, married Rebecca Patton, and settled in Callaway county in 1820, and was elected Justice of the Peace the same year. He was a soldier of the war of 1812.

Blackburn.—The parents of Robert Blackburn lived in Fairfax county, Va. Robert married Jane Fields. It was a runaway match, and they were married at the cross roads. They settled in Callaway county in 1838, and Mr. Blackburn died in 1845. His widow still survives in her 91st year. Their children were —William, James, Edward, Thomas, Richard, Louis, Robert H., James S., Eveline, Amanda M., Mary J., and Margaret A.

Boone.—George, a brother of Daniel Boone, married Nancy Lingell, and their children were—Squire, John, Samuel, Edward, George, Jr., Elizabeth, Martha, Sarah, Polly, and Maria. Squire married and settled in St. Charles county, Mo., where he died, leaving five sons and several daughters. The names of the sons were—Samuel, Hayden, Milo, Thomas, and John. Capt. Samuel, son of George Boone, Sr., married Anna Simpson, of Kentucky, by whom he had—Jeptha V., Mary A., Elizabeth C, Maxemille. Martha L., and Samuel T. Elizabeth C. married her first cousin, Dr. Banton Boone, who was a son of Edward Boone, and their son, Hon. Banton Boone, of Henry county, was chosen Speaker of the last House of Representatives of the State of Missouri. He is a young man of fine abilities and has a brilliant future before him. Dr. Banton Boone died of cholera, at his home on Prairie Fork creek, in Callaway county. Capt. Samuel Boone settled in Callaway county in 1818, and in 1820 he assisted in building the first Baptist Church erected in that county, which was called Salem. He was Judge of the County Court for some time, and a prominent and influential citizen. Edward, son of George Boone, Sr., married the widow White, whose maiden name was Dorcas Simpson. She was a sister of Capt. Samuel Boone's wife, and at the time of her marriage with Mr. Boone she had a son, Morgan B. White, who is still living in Callaway county. Her Boone children were—Banton, Rodolph, William, George L., Ann, Milley, Margaret, Maria, and Mary.

Benson.—John and Thomas Benson settled in the State of Maryland. John married a Miss Edmonson, and remained in that State. Their children were—Thomas, Eden, Ruth, Elizabeth, and Margaret. Eden married Sally Bell, and removed to Louisiana, where he made a fortune raising cotton. He then came to Missouri, and settled in Callaway county in 1823. After his removal to Missouri he speculated largely in lands, and at his death he left his children, of whom he had thirteen, wealthy. Jefferson B., a son of Thomas Benson, Sr., of Maryland, settled in Montgomery county. Mo., in 1832. He married Sarah Hays, and they had nine children.

Broadwater.—Charles L. Broadwater was an Englishman. He came to America a short time before the commencement of the revolution, and when the war began, he joined the American army and served as a soldier during that memorable struggle. He afterward married Behethler Sabaston, and they had three children— George, William E., and Anna M. George married Catharine Gunnell, and they had—Ann M., Henry, Arthur, John C. H., Elizabeth, Thomas, and George, Jr., all of whom, except Arthur, settled in Missouri. William E., son of Charles L. Broadwater, married Margaret Darne, and they had three children, who, after the death of their father, came to Missouri with their mother, and settled in Callaway county in 1833.

 

Back
Callaway County, Missouri Genealogy Trails
All data on this websites is © Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original contributor.