BIOGRAPHIESSource: Goodspeed's History of Southeast Missouri, c1888, p 740-741.
Cape Girardeau County Missouri Genealogy Trails
J. ALFRED ABERNATHY, a farmer of Byrd Township, was born in Cape Girardeau County, Mo., on November 29,1845. He is the son of Hamilton and Belle J. Abernathy, who immigrated to Missouri from North Carolina. The father died in Cape Girardeau County about 1848. The mother married again and reared her family at home. J. Alfred was the third of four children. He received a limited education in the common schools. On December 11, 1870 he was united in marriage with Miss Emily Harris, daughter of Rev. R. P. Harris, a minister of some note in the Universalist Church. Mr. Abernathy rented a farm for about eleven years, when he bought a place three miles north of Jackson, which he cultivated three years. He then sold it to S. W. Brown, and in June 1837, bought the farm where he now resides, consisting of 105 acres, all fenced with about eighty-seven acres in cultivation. He has a good house and outbuildings, and an orchard of about 200 trees. They have three children, viz.: Albena, Harry and Sammy. Mrs. Abernathy is a member of the Baptist Church.
Source: Goodspeed's History of Southeast Missouri, c1888, p 740.
BENJAMIN H. ADAMS, editor of the Cape Girardeau Democrat, was born in Scott County, Mo., on December 2, 1847. He is the ninth of twelve children born to Jefferson and Susan (Ollar) Adams, both natives of Kentucky, from which State they came to Missouri in 1844, and located on a farm in Scott County, where they remained until their deaths, the former in 1865, the latter in 1857. Benjamin was reared at home on the farm, receiving his education in the schools of his native county and at Cape Girardeau. In 1867 he entered the office of the Dispatch, at Commerce, where he remained about two years. He then, after working a short time in St. Louis, came to Cape Girardeau and worked on the Argus until 1871, when he established the Democrat, which he has since conducted. May 16, 1869 he was united in marriage with Mattie Casebolt, daughter of S. M. Casebolt, then editor of the News. They have six childen living and one dead.
HON. LEON J. ALBERT, cashier of Sturdivant Bank and mayor of Cape Girardeau, was born in Jefferson County, Ky., in 1840. He is the son of Nicolas Albert, a native of France, who immigrated to America while a young man and located near Louisville, Ky, where he was united in marriage with Anna Hoin, also a native of France. They removed to Cape Girardeau in 1852. The father at the time of his death in 1876 was a United States gauger. The mother died in 1875. Leon J., being twelve years old when his parents removed to Cape Girardeau, was educated at St. Vincent's College. He afterward returned to his native country and engaged in merchandising until the beginning of the war, when he returned to Cape Girardeau and became connected with the commission firm of Hunt & Albert. He was also, during the war, in the employ of the St. Louis & Memphis Packet Company (now Anchor Line) about two years. At the close of the war he became a member of the firm of J. & S. Albert, from which he severed his connection in 1871 to accept his present position as cashier in Sturdivant Bank. In 1864 he was united in marriage with Clara Haydock, a native of Marshall County, Ky. They have had three sons and six daughters, of whom two daughters are dead. Mr. Albert is a member of the A. O. U. W., and the Select Knights.
--Source: Goodspeed's History of Southeast Missouri, c1888, p 741.
Albert, Leon Joseph, banker was born, November 6, 1840, in Jefferson County, Kentucky, son of Nicholas and Anna (Hoin) Albert. Nicholas Albert removed from Kentucky to Cape Girardeau, in 1852, and died there in 1876. The elder Albert was a merchant and a thoroughly public-spirited citizen, who spent much of his time and money to make the "Cape City" a commercial center. He established there a shipyard, and built at Cape Girardeau the "Alfred T. Lacy," the only steamboat ever built there. For a number of years he was United States gauger at Cape Girardeau. Speaking both the French and German languages fluently, he had the confidence of the French and German citizens of that place, and was their counselor and adviser on all occasions. He himself was French, and his father, John Albert, the grandfather of Leon J. Albert, served in the Napoleonic wars on the staff of the great leader of the French Army.
In his early boyhood, Leon J. Albert lived in Portland—now a part of Louisville, Kentucky—and there he began his education, with Honorable Norman J. Colman, now of St. Louis, as his teacher. Coming with his parents to Missouri, his further education was such as to fit him for business pursuits, and when he was seventeen years of age he returned to Louisville, where he clerked in a dry goods store until 1861. He then came back to Cape Girardeau and became connected with the J. & S. Albert Grocery Company. This connection continued until 1871, except during two years of the Civil War, when he was employed as clerk on a Mississippi River steamboat, then under management of the Memphis & St. Louis Packet Company.
In the fall of 1871 he embarked in the commission business in St. Louis on his own account. At the end of a few months he was prevailed upon by Colonel Robert Sturdivant to return to Cape Girardeau and accept the position of cashier in what was then known as the Bank of R. Sturdivant. In 1881 this bank was incorporated under the State banking laws o£ Missouri, as the Sturdivant Bank, and Mr. Albert was made cashier of the reorganized institution. He has since continued to hold that position, and a service of nearly thirty years in this capacity has caused him to be regarded, in the banking circles of the State, as one of its most thoroughly efficient, capable and honest bank managers. During the period since 1882 there has been but one change in the board of directors of the Sturdivant Bank, and this was occasioned by the death of Judge Jacob H. Burrough. Mr. Albert was a director and treasurer of the St. Louis, Cape Girardeau & Fort Smith Railroad Company from the time of the organization of that corporation until the road was sold to the South Missouri & Arkansas Railroad Company, in 1899, and he is now a director of the last named company.
From 1875 to 1880 he was secretary of the Southeast District Agricultural Society, and in that capacity did much to benefit the farming interests of that region. In politics he is a Democrat, but has only taken the interest -which every good citizen should take in political movements and campaigns. During the year 1874-5 he was a member of the Board of Aldermen of Cape Girardeau, and from 1877 to 1878 he was mayor of the city, and from 1885 to 1890 he again filled the mayoralty. During his first administration he, with others, formulated and secured the passage of an ordinance, under which the railroad subscription of Cape Girardeau to the building1 of a railroad into the city was compromised and refunded. The ordinance was unpopular at the time, but the wisdom of the action has since been made apparent to all.
He has been treasurer of the State Normal School, at Cape Girardeau, and in 1889 Governor Francis appointed him a member of the board of regents of that institution, to serve for a term of six years. Governor Stone appointed him to a second term, which he is now serving. June 2, 1864, Mr. Albert married Miss Clara Given Haydock, daughter of Gideon A. and Harriet (Conway) Haydock, of Smithlamd, Kentucky, and of Scotch-English descent. Their children are Hattie Conway Albert, now the widow of Ralph W. Morton, of Cape Girardeau; Leon Joseph Albert, Jr., assistant cashier of the Sturdivant Bank; Harry Lee Albert, professor of biology at the State Normal School of Cape Girardeau; Alma Edith, Clara Given, Leland Stanford, and Helen Roseborough Albert.
[Source: Encyclopedia of the History of Missouri Volume 5: Edited by Howard Louis Conard; Publ. 1901; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack.]
SEBASTIAN ALBERT, wholesale grocer and commission merchant, was born in France in 1828, and with his parents, John and Mary Albert, immigrated to America in 1829. They located at Louisville, Ky. The mother died in 1830 and the father in 1836. Sebastian remained at Louisville until 1846, when, with a brother, he located at Jackson, Mo., and engaged in general merchandising until 1850; he, however, spent the time between 1850 and 1853 in California. They then located at Cape Girardeau, and engaged in the dry goods business under the firm name of Albert & Bro., for several years. In 1857 the brother succeeded R. Sturdivant and formed the firm of Hunt & Albert in the commission business. Soon after the death of Mr. Hunt, in January, 1860, Sebastian purchased his interest, and the firm became J. & S. Albert, which existed until 1877, since which time S. Albert has conducted the business alone. In 1885 he and Mr. Klostermann purchased the foundry from the stock company, which business they have since managed. He and Mr. Madison own the celebrated Richard's Cape Lime Kiln. In all of his business he employs about eighteen laborers. In 1865 he was united in marriage with Rosa L. Miles, a native of Cape Girardeau. Their marriage has been blessed by seven children, three sons and four daughters. Mr. Albert is a Freemason. He and wife are members of the Catholic Church. Mr. Albert had two brothers, who died at Cape Girardeau, John and Nicolas; the former was mayor of the city for awhile, and sheriff of the county for two terms. Source: Goodspeed's History of Southeast Missouri, c1888, p 741.
WILLIAM E. ALEXANDER, a prominent farmer and stock raiser of Randol Township, Cape Girardeau Co., Mo., is a native of Cabarrus County, N. C., born on December 4, 1818. He is the only living member of a family of seven children born to the union of Ambrose Alexander and Eleanor Query, both natives of North Carolina. They resided in their native State a number of years after their marriage, and removed to Missouri in 1929. They pre-empted the land upon which the subject of this sketch now resides. The parents lived there until their deaths. The father died February 1, 1843. His wife survived him a number of years, and died about 1866. William E. came to his majority in Cape Girardeau County, and when land was thrown upon the ma4rket he entered that which his father had homesteaded. On January 20, 1842 he was united in marriage with Ann H. Short, daughter of John and Jane Short. She was born in Rowan County, N. C., but removed to Cape Girardeau County, Mo, when eleven years of age. Mr. Alexander served as justice of the peace, and in 1870 was appointed public administrator, and two years after was elected to the same office. He was re-elected several times, serving in all ten consecutive years.
Source: Goodspeed's History of Southeast Missouri, c1888, p 741.
JOHN H. ALTENTHAL, a farmer and stock raiser residing one and a half mile west from Jackson, was born in the Kingdom of Hanover, Germany, January 29, 1830. He is the son of Anton and Mary (Brous) Altenthal, both natives of Hanover, Germany. They immigrated to the United States in December, 1845, landing at New Orleans. They located in Cape Girardeau County in 1846. Here the father bought land, upon which he resided until his death. John H. received a fair education in his native country. He learned the carpenter's trade with his father, and engaged in that business until 1865. On March 3, 1853 in Cape Girardeau County, he was united in marriage with Caroline Klemme, a native of Brunswick. After marriage they located near Jackson, and engaged in farming. In the spring of 1869 he removed to the farm where he now resides. He has 200 acres of land, all in a good state of cultivation, and upon which is a good residence and other buildings. Mr. and Mrs. Altenthal have reared a family of six children, viz.: Matilda (Mrs. William Wessal, of Jackson), Caroline (Mrs. William Wagoner), Wilhelmina (Mrs. Robert Kneibert of Jackson), Henry (married and residing on the home farm, Anna (now married to George Bieulein) and Louisa (who died August 4, 1887, in her twenty-first year). Mr. and Mrs. Altenthal are members of the Lutheran Church. Mr. Altenthal is independent in politics, and is in favor of local option.
Source: Goodspeed's History of Southeast Missouri, c1888, p. 742.
HENRY A. ASTHOLZ, marshal and collector of Cape Girardeau, was born in Hanover, Germany, October 24, 1840. He is the son of Christian and Sophia Astholz, both of whom died in Germany in 1857. The year after his parents' death Henry A., immigrated to America, locating at first in Louisiana, where he served a few months as overseer on a plantation. He then went to St. Louis, joining Company B, Fifth Missouri Cavalry, and at the time of its consolidation with the Fourth Missouri Cavalry was color bearer. After this he filled various private positions, and at the close of the war was quartermaster-sergeant of Company D, Fourth Missouri. After the war he located at Cape Girardeau and engaged in the tanning business until about 1869, after which he traveled a few years, and filled various clerkships until 1881. From 1881 until 1882 he was deputy clerk of the common pleas court, and in 1883 was elected to his present position. In 1867 he was united in marriage with Augusta Brandes, a native of Germany. They have had fourteen children, of whom five are dead. Mr. Astholz is a member of the A. F. & A. M. and the I. O. O. F. and has been commander of Justi Post No. 173, G. A. R., since its re-organization, and was re-elected for four consecutive years. On account of wounds received during the war he receives a pension from the Government.
Source: Goodspeed's History of Southeast Missouri, c1888, p. 742.