BIOGRAPHIES--BSource: Goodspeed's History of Southeast Missouri, c1888, p. 743.
Cape Girardeau County Missouri Genealogy Trails
FRANCIS M. BAKER, a substantial farmer and proprietor of Baker's Flouring Mill in Apple Creek Township, Cape Girardeau County, was born on the farm where he now resides, on March 9, 1838. He is the son of Joseph Baker, Jr., also a native of Cape Girardeau County, born in 1806. He was a son of Joseph Baker, Sr., who immigrated to Missouri from North Carolina when a young man, and was married in Cape Girardeau County. Joseph Baker, Jr., grew to manhood at his father's home and was married to Anna Young, also a native of Cape Girardeau, County. He settled on the farm where the subject of the sketch now resides, in 1838, remaining there until his death, about 1848. His wife still survives (1888). Francis M. grew to manhood on his father's farm and in 1859 went to California by the way of New York. Crossing the Isthmus of Panama he sailed along the Pacific coast as far as San Francisco. He remained in California and Nevada about eight years, and was engaged in mining, ranching and freighting. He arrived home on December 17, 1867, after which he bought out the other heir's interest in the old homestead, and has since been engaged in farming. On May 5, 1868, he was united in marriage with Mary C. Reeves, a native of Cape Girardeau County. She is a daughter of William Reeves, formerly from North Carolina. Mr. Baker is a Mason, and a member of the A. O. U. W. In politics he is a Democrat. He purchased his mill in the fall of 1881, and rebuilt it the next year. He now has a good custom mill, with a daily capacity of about 200 bushels. He has a fine farm of 300 acres, of which about 200 acres are under cultivation, upon which he has a nice home.
Source: Goodspeed's History of Southeast Missouri, c1888, p. 742-743.
GEORGE H. BARKS, a substantial farmer of Liberty Township, Cape Girardeau County,. was born in Bollinger County, Mo., on February 26, 1849. He is a son of Joseph Barks, also a native of Bollinger County, born in 1810. The latter was the son of Humteel Barks, one of the early settlers of Southeast Missouri from North Carolina. Joseph Barks grew to maturity, and married in his native county. His wife, Serena (Parton) Barks, was born in Cape Girardeau County. After his marriage Mr. Barks located in Cape Girardeau County on the farm where the subject of this sketch now resides. The former purchased new land, which he improved, and upon which he resided until his death in July, 1882. His widow is still living. She and her husband reared four children, all of whom are living, and with the exception of one daughter in Bollinger County, reside in Cape Girardeau County. George H. remained with his father until his death, after which he took charge of the home farm. Since his father's death he has purchased more land, and now has about 250 acres, of which 125 acres are cleared. In December, 1871, he married Sarah Newkirk, a native of Bollinger County. She died in 1873. On April 20, 1879 Mr. Barks was united in marriage with Mary Ann Proffer, a daughter of George Proffer, and a native of Cape Girardeau County. This union has been blessed by the birth of two children: Dora J. and Joseph L. Mr. Barks is a member of the Agricultural Wheel.
Source: Goodspeed's History of Southeast Missouri, c1888, p. 743.
JONATHAN H. BARKS was born in what is now Bollinger County, September 22, 1840, and is a son of Joseph and Serena (Parton) Barks. The former was born in Bollinger County in 1811, and was the son of Humteel Barks, a native of North Carolina, who settled in Cape Girardeau County in 1800, having received a Spanish grant of 640 acres of land on Whitewater Creek. Humteel Barks' father was killed in the Revolutionary War. After his marriage Joseph Barks located on Whitewater Creek, where he resided until selling his farm in 1855, then moving to Kansas. The following fall he returned to Dent County, purchased a farm which he cultivated until the spring of 1856, when he removed to Cape Girardeau County and located upon the farm where George H. Barks now resides, living there until his death in 1882. His widow still survives. She was born in Cape Girardeau County in 1819. J. H. Barks was reared at home, and received his education in the subscription schools. He has been twice married; first on February 6, 1862 to Josephine Snider, a native of Bollinger County and a daughter of Andrew Snider, deceased. Soon after his marriage Mr. Barks removed to his present home in Cape Girardeau County. His farm consists of 300 acres, with about 140 under cultivation. His wife died in 1872, leaving one daughter, Mary C., wife of Joseph Manning of Bollinger county. Mr. Barks next married October 31, 1886, Narcissa Jones, a native of Arkansas, born near Helena on March 11, 1856. She was reared in Cape Girardeau County, and is a member of the Methodist Church. Mr. Barks is a Master Mason.
GEORGE W. BAST, a member of the firm of Bast & Kurre, proprietors of the Burfordville Saw Mills, Cape Girardeau County, Mo., was born in that county, October 8, 1838, and is a son of George Bast, a native of Lincoln County, Ky., born in 1795. The latter grew to manhood in his native State, and married Ruth Bell, born near Harper's Ferry, Va. After their marriage they removed to New Orleans, and thence to Cape Girardeau County about 1827. They first located near Jackson, but afterward removed to the west part of the county, which is now a part of Bollinger County. Mr. Bast died there in 1882. His widow still survives and is eighty-two years old, being remarkably active for one of her age. They reared a family of three sons and five daughters, all of whom are now grown and married. They all reside, with the exception of one daughter in California, in Cape Girardeau County. George W. grew to manhood at his father's home, and received a common school education, which has been greatly improved since arriving at mature years by much desultory reading. He taught school one term in his younger days. On December 6, 1857 he wedded Mahala Slinkard, a native of Cape Girardeau County, and a daughter of Joseph and Ally Slinkard. After his marriage Mr. Bast located on a farm in Bollinger County. In 1861 he enlisted in Col. Jeff. Thompson's regiment (Confederate), with which he served six months, when he was discharged and returned home. In 1864 he went to Montana, and was there engaged in mining for six years returning home on December 29, 1870. He was then engaged in the hotel business for a short time at Des Arc, Mo., after which he removed to Poplar Bluff and was engaged in the saw mill business under the firm name of Bast & Baker and in doing a large business, manufacturing over 30,000 feet of lumber per year. He also own a farm of new land on White Water Creek, which is being managed and improved by hired men. Mr. Bast is a member of the A. F. & A. M. of the A. O. U. W. He and wife have two daughters: Alice (Mrs. Fred (?unable to read) and Lourana E. (Mrs. J. H. Estes).
Source: Goodspeed's History of Southeast Missouri, c1888, p. 743-744.
LEWIS M. BEAN was born in Cape Girardeau County, September 20, 18?? (may be 1841) and is a son of Robert Bean and Mary McFarland. The former was born in North Carolina in 1805, and was a son of Moses Bean, a native of Scotland, who settled in Pickens County, S. C., when a young man. He was married there in 1792. Robert Bean was reared in North Carolina and Tennessee, and came to Missouri in 1828. The year of his arrival he was married on the farm where the subject of this sketch now resides. Mary McFarland was born in Ireland, of Scotch parents, who came to America about 1810. After his marriage Robert Bean located on the farm adjoining Lewis M. Bean's present farm in Hubble Township, Cape Girardeau County. He improved the place and resided there until his death, August 13, 1864. His widow lived until July 1885. They reared to mature years seven sons and three daughters, of whom two sons and three daughters are still living. They all reside in Cape Girardeau County. Lewis M. grew to manhood in the neighborhood of his birth, and received a good education in the common schools, which was completed at the Jackson High School. For thirteen years he was a teacher in his native county. Previous to the war Mr. Bean was a Democrat, but since that time he has acted with the Republican party. He has held various county offices. He was appointed and served four years as deputy county surveyor. He also served as deputy assessor and deputy sheriff for a number of years. In 1880 he was elected county assessor and re-elected in 1882. In 1884 he was again appointed deputy sheriff and served until 1887. Mr. Bean has been married three times. His first wife was Elizabeth A. Miller, to whom he was married on December 24, 1866. She died August 29, 1872, leaving one son, Robert B. His second wife, Sarah A. Priest, to whom he was united on May 26, 1874, died on March 13, 1885. There are four children by this union: Mary M., William W., Lewis M., Jr. and Wilson Cramer. On May 19, 1886, Mr. Bean married Miss Fannie Marckley, a daughter of John C. Marckley of Portland, Ore. Mrs. Bean was born in Oregon, but was reared and educated in Illinois and Missouri and had taught school for seventeen years previous to her marriage. Mr. Bean is now engaged in surveying and farming. He is a member of Excelsior Lodge No. 441, A. F. & A. M.
Source: Goodspeed's History of Southeast Missouri, c1888, p. 744.
WILLIAM M. BENNETT is the son of James N. and Sarah (Sheppard) Bennett, the former a native of Madison County, Mo., and the latter a native of Cape Girardeau County. The father was born in 1807, and was the son of Joseph Bennett, a native of Tennessee, who was one of the early settler of Madison County, Mo. James N., the father, served as constable of Byrd Township twelve or fourteen years. He served as deputy sheriff and then as sheriff each four years. In 1843 he bought and settled on the farm where William M. now resides. He remained there until his death in May, 1857. His wife survived him several years. They reared to maturity a family of three sons and two daughters, of whom two sons and one daughter are still living. The brother is in Arkansas, and the sister resides in Cape Girardeau County. William M. was born in Jackson, on November 14, 1833, and grew to manhood on his father's farm. On November 26, 1857 he was united in marriage with Miss Margaret Sheppard, daughter of Elisha and Malinda (Blount) Sheppard. The father, a native of North Carolina, came to Cape Girardeau County when a young man. The mother came to Jackson with her parents in 1804. She is now living with Mrs. Bennett. After marriage Mr. Bennett located on a farm near his present farm, to which he removed in 1871. He has 119 acres, of which seventy-five acres are improved, and upon which he has a comfortable house and outbuildings. Mr. and Mrs. Bennett are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. He is a member of the A. O. U. W. They have had four children, viz: Ida May (Mrs. Albert P. Sheppard), James E., Sarah J. (died in infancy) and Minnie A. (died at the age of seventeen years).
Source: Goodspeed's History of Southeast Missouri, c1888, p. 744.
C. F. BETTEN, city clerk of Cape Girardeau, was born in Madison County, Mo. in 1856. He is the son of John Betten, a native of Westphalia, Germany, born in 1825. About 1850 the father came to America, locating in Madison County, Mo., and engaged in mining very extensively. In 1869 he removed to Ste. Genevieve, where he died in November, 1884. The mother is also a native of Germany, and at present resides with her son, the subject of this sketch. Seven children were born to the parents, of whom two sons and two daughters are living. When C. F. Betten was ten years of age he was taken by his parents to Ste. Genevieve, Mo., and was soon after placed in St. Benedict college, Atchison, Kas., where he remained four years, graduating in 1871. He then filled the position of bookkeeper in Carondelet Savings Bank for five years. In 1878 he came to Cape Girardeau County and served as United States deputy collector from that time till 1884. He then engaged in the hotel business until he was appointed to his present position in May, 1887. In November 1880, he was united in marriage with Mary Julia, eldest daughter of Judge David L. Hawkins of Cape Girardeau. Mr. Betten is vice-president of Branch No. 274 of the Catholic Knights of America.
Source: Goodspeed's History of Southeast Missouri, c. 1888, p. 745.
CHARLES L. BLATTNER, proprietor and manager of the farm and saw mills located two miles west from Cape Girardeau, was born in Switzerland, August 10, 1859. He is a son of Charles and Anna (Dubs) Blattner, both natives of Switzerland. Mr. Blattner died in his native country in 1861. His widow married again and in 1869 immigrated with her family to the United States, and in the spring of that year located in Cape Girardeau County. She died in August, 1880. Charles L. Blattner grew to maturity in Cape Girardeau County. He worked by the month on a farm and in a saw mill until he was twenty-two years of age. In the fall of 1882 he made a trip to Europe and visited the land of his birth. Returning home in the spring of 1883 he engaged in the manufacture of lumber below Dutchtown, in Cape Girardeau County. After seventeen months of successful business there he bought the place where he now resides. His farm contains 140 acres, nearly all of which are under cultivation. On September 16, 1884 he was united in marriage with Miss Anna Keller, a daughter of J. G. Keller. This union has been blessed by the birth of one daughter, Laura. Mr. and Mrs. Blattner are members of the Evangelical Church.
Source: Goodspeed's History of Southeast Missouri, c1888, p. 745.
JOHN T. BLOCK, a public weigher and gauger in the
sugar and molasses business of New Orleans, is a native of Missouri. He
was born at Cape Girardeau on the 1st of April, 1835. At the
early age of eleven years John T. Block was left wholly an orphan, his
father dying in 1846, and his mother when he was an infant. He was then
left to the care of his uncle, John Juden, who brought him to New Orleans,
his place of residence. Mr. Block attended the public schools of New
Orleans until he was twelve years old, when with the idea of mastering the
printer’s trade he entered the office of Hinton & Bros., but before
two years had elapsed he was compelled to discontinue on account of his
health. He afterward procured a clerkship with W.H. Bunnell, with whom he
served a year, leaving to accept a more remunerative and better position
offered by William L. Robinson, with whom he remained until reaching the
age of twenty-one, when, at the suggestion of his friend and employer, he
launched out for himself as a weigher and gauger, and as such has remained
until the present time, with the exception of the four years of the war.
The firm was first known as Rolf & Block, then Engelhardt & Block,
Block & Gerard, and now John T. Block & Co. Upon the war cloud
bursting over the country, Mr. Block answered the call and joined Company
B, Louisiana guard, First regiment, Louisiana volunteers; said regiment
left for Virginia on the 28 th day of April, 1861. In August of
the same year the company became an artillery company in Stonewall
Jackson’s corps, and was then known as the Louisiana Guard artillery. He
remained a member of this company through the war until the surrender at
Appomattox, and was in all the many battles that the guards were engaged
in but that of Chancellorsville, being absent on furlough. He was never
sick, wounded or taken prisoner. He is a member of the Benevolent
Association Army of Northern Virginia, and has held the position of
treasurer of said association for the past eleven years. He is also a
member of the United Confederate Veterans, and one of the board of
governors of the Southern Historical association, and is intimately
connected with many other enterprises of New Orleans. In 1866 he was
married to Miss M. Celeste Dimitry, daughter of the late Prof. M. Dracos
Dimitry, who was well known in educational and literary circles. Mr. and
Mrs. Block have five children: Theo. H., John T., Jr., Celeste M., Walter
B. and Susie D.
JOHN A. BOWERS, is a native of East Tennessee, born in Greene County, on July 7, 1844. He is the son of Henry and Sarah (Cobble) Bowers, both of whom are natives of Greene County, Tenn. The parents removed from their native state to Missouri, about 1854, and settled on a farm in Cape Girardeau County, entering land at first. They have since added to their farm by buying more land. The father enlisted in the Union army, joining Company A, Second Missouri Artillery, with which he served about one year, when he was wounded by accident and so disabled that he was mustered out of the service. He then started home, and he and wife still reside on their farm. In October, 1862, John A. Bowers also enlisted in Company A, Second Missouri Artillery, with which he served until the close of the war as a non-commissioned officer. He participated in the battles around Nashville, and was in several skirmishes. He received his discharge in July, 1865, after which he returned home. On December 20, 1867 he was united in marriage with Sarah Beal, daughter of John Beal (deceased). Mrs. Bowers was born and reared in Cape Girardeau County. After their marriage they rented a farm for several years, buying and locating where they now reside in February 1876. They have a good farm with substantial buildings upon it, situated in Oak Ridge, Cape Girardeau County. They have a family of seven children, viz: James Marion, Clara E., Mahala J., Sallie A., Oliver O., John H. and Olea A. Mr. and Mrs. Bowers are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. Politically, Mr. Bowers has always been a strong supporter of the principles of the Republican party. He is a member of the A. O. U. W., and also a member of the Farmers' Mutual Benefit Society.
-- Source: Goodspeed's History of Southeast Missouri, c1888, p. 745.
SAMUEL S. BOWMAN, proprietor of Oak Ridge Mills, was born in Kanawha County, W. Va., on October 27, 1843. He is the son of Benjamin and Sophia H. (Ferguson) Bowman, both natives of Franklin County, Va. The father was born in 1804 and lived in his native State until the fall of 1857, when he and family came to Missouri and located at Jackson. He was a miller by trade and upon his arrival at Jackson took charge of a mill, which he managed for three years. He afterward ran several other mills in the county, among which were those at Pocahontas and Wilkinson. Samuel S. learned the mill business with his father, and afterward had charge of the mill at Millersville for ten years, and a mill at Burfordville for two and one-half years. In 1883 he engaged in a mercantile business at Pocahontas, where he remained for about two years. He then, after farming a short time, purchased his present mill, which is doing a good business. Mr. Bowman was married on November 2, 1868 to Serilda, daughter of Aaron Abernathy, and a native of Cape Girardeau County. They have four children living, viz: Lulu, Russell, James and Lyman, and four dead, the oldest of whom, Robert D., died March 4, 1884 at the age of fifteen years. The others died in early childhood and infancy. Mr. and Mrs. Bowman are consistent members of the Baptist Church. He is also a member of the A. O. U. W. --Source: Goodspeed's History of Southeast Missouri, c1888, p. 746.
Religious Activity in Missouri 1871-1915
J. C. M.
It has fallen to my lot to write of many good and useful men, of whom I had by personal contact no knowledge. Had, therefore, to write upon the basis of facts furnished by others. This was in no sense less reliable than the truths that come to my knowledge concerning the life-work of those with whom there had been personal and intimate association upon the many and varied fields of labor that fall to the lot of every gospel preacher that gives his whole life to the work that opens up before him.
T. A. Bowman was one of the faithful who never seemed to claim the right to select the place of the work that he should do in the Lord’s vineyard. Whenever and wherever a door was opened to him he went in, and with all his strength labored diligently until called to another task. Even preachers do not always seem to realize that “both he that soweth and he that reapeth may rejoice together.” We all want to be reapers, and often are too restless if our mission is to sow the gospel seed that another may reap the abundant harvest.
This is not written because there were not great results accompanying Brother Bowman’s labors. In one series of meetings he held in Marble Hill, there were about 100 conversions and additions to the church.
T. A. Bowman was the son of Benjamin and Sophia Bowman, and was the youngest of eleven children. He was born at what is now St. Albans, Kanawah County, West Virginia, though the two Virginias were one state then. The date of his birth was May 7th, 1850.
The family at a later date moved, and this time established a residence in Jackson, Cape Girardeau County, Missouri.
Here again the father was employed as a miller.
In 1861 the Civil War burst upon our country, and soon the hostile armies were marching across the State of Missouri. The mill in Jackson was burned, and Mr. Bowman, Sr., then took charge of the mill at Burfordville. This, too, was soon destroyed by fire.
A new location was now chosen farther up the Whitewater, which stream had furnished the power for the mill. Here he learned the carpenter’s trade, and thus provided a living for his family.
Benjamin Bowman and wife, when they came to Missouri, united by letter with the Bethel Church, and remained members until that church ceased to exist. They then united with Goshen Church.
This did not imply any change of sentiment on their part, as they had before this time become, at heart, in full sympathy with the effort to have the Gospel preached to all nations.
They remained in hearty co-operation with the activities of the church until the end of their lives. They were both good Christians, and earnestly prayed for the triumphs of Christianity.
At the age of 18 years, in a series of meetings held by Rev. James Reid and Rev. J. P. Bridwell, T. A. Bowman was converted, and by Rev. Jas. Reid was baptized into the fellowship of the Goshen Baptist Church. This church was located some two miles from the present town of Oak Ridge. For many years it was one of the most vigorous churches in the Cape Girardeau Associations.
In later years, the membership having become greatly depleted by removals and death, the church disbanded, and the few members left joined with others and formed the Oak Ridge Church, which body still continues to hold regular services, and now worships in an elegant and modern house dedicated to the Lord’s services.
In January, 1871, the Goshen Church licensed the youth to preach the gospel. The next fall he entered William Jewell College. He is said to have been the first student from southeast Missouri to enter this institution, that now has become one of the great colleges of the Mississippi Valley.
There were then only about 150 students enrolled, and fifty of these were preparing to preach the gospel. Since that date there have been enrolled, at a single session full 500 students, and at times over 200 of these had the Gospel ministry in view.
After two years of faithful study in the college, his means having become exhausted, he taught one year at Orrick, a small town in Ray County, Missouri.
The father of T. A. Bowman, having died, and he being the youngest child, returned to his mother, who was left alone.
It was not long after this that the New Bethel Church of Cape Girardeau County called him to become pastor, and June 14th, 1873, he was ordained to the full work of the ministry, and accepted this pastorate.
Having now entered fully into his life work of preaching the Gospel, he was, on the 21st day of October, 1873, married to Miss Sarah Emma Ghotson, who was to him a most faithful helper throughout his more than forty years as pastor, Missionary, field editor of the Central Baptist, and superintendent of the Baptist Orphans’ Home.
Six children were born to them, two of whom survive – John J., who is cashier of the People’s Bank at Bonne Terre, Missouri, and Thomas D., who is American consul at Fernie, British Columbia.
The others were Connie Irene, who died in 1891 at the age of 14; Myrta May, who died in 1898 at the age of 19; Bessie Beulah, who married J. W. Alexander and died in 1912 at the age or 30, and Orren Clyde, who died in infancy.
The widow also survives her husband. Her faith in Him who is the widow’s God, will sustain her until she is called to join the members of her own family in the presence of Him whose love and power never fail those who believe.
For more than forty years Mr. Bowman continued to preach the Gospel. His work was varied. Sometimes he was pastor of one local church, as when he was stationed at Salem, Steelville, Slater, and at other places. And always he preached the gospel of the Lord Jesus with all the earnestness, and with unwavering faith, that this is God’s message to men, and this alone is the “power of God unto salvation to every one that believes.”
T. A. Bowman and wife made most diligent effort to give their children all possible mental and moral training.
The older of the two surviving sons graduated from William Jewell College in the class of 1897. The thorough training he received has enabled him to gain and hold the responsible position he now fills as cashier of the People’s Bank at Bonne Terre, Missouri.
The other son graduated from the same college in 1907, and is now American consul at Fernie, British Columbia.
The inheritance thus left to the two sons is of greater value than merely great worldly possessions. They have such mental culture that prominence is very becoming to them, and the richest of all inheritances, the record of a good, Christian life on the part of a noble father.
More than once Mr. Bowman turned aside from regular pastoral work, and labored in the general denominational enterprises of the State.
He was employed by the Board of State Missions, and preached to weak churches and in destitute regions, and solicited funds for other parts where Missionaries were stationed. He was also Missionary for more than one District Association, which led him to investigate the needs of many localities, where help should be given to make the cause self-sustaining. For several years he was field editor of the Central Baptist.
The writer of this sketch of the life of this faithful man of God was once in the editorial office of the Central Baptist, and asked the editor if he read every communication that came to the paper before handing it to the printers for insertion in that journal. He said, yes, except in cases like the letters from T. A. Bowman, who is canvassing the churches. We know his letters are all right and do not feel it necessary to read them before they are printed. This is written to show how his wisdom was appreciated, and how unlimited was the confidence with which those who knew him best trusted his acts and the products of his pen.
We can here merely mention the names, which point out the locations of the many churches that were blessed by his faithful services. He was pastor at Jackson, Salem, Steelville, Pacific, Slater, Fredericktown, Chaffee, Corder, Owensville and Belle. Besides these, he served a number of churches in the country, of which the names or localities cannot be here stated. His services as representative of the Board of State Missions and Sunday Schools has been mentioned above, and also his work as field editor of the Central Baptist. For a few years he was superintendent of the Orphan’s Home.
The writer of this sketch of his life, once heard him pleading the cause of the Orphans. His whole heart was in the work. It was not done mechanically, or without zeal. While speaking of the needs of these poor children, who were left without father or mother to care for them, he could not control his own emotions, but with flowing tears and aching heart showed that their interests were to him the object of his own heart’s love.
He put his whole manhood into his work, and that manhood was tempered by the consciousness that Christianity seeks the best of God’s love for every human being.
At one time Mr. Bowman engaged in the newspaper business, and issued a weekly paper at Fredericktown, and then engaged in the same work for a short time at Sikeston. This was done because he could not be idle, and as writing was to him a means of doing good, and at this time also one way of supporting his family, it was easy for him to perform the duties of an editor.
But his heart was not in any secular employment, and therefore, he was soon in his “loved employ” of preaching the Gospel.
That he could have been a triumphant success in this field no one who knew his varied abilities could doubt. But it was a short departure from his life motto: “This one thing I do” – preach the Gospel – and so, as soon as a door opened to him he was again in the pulpit, and so continued to the end of his life.
From 1870 onward he attended almost every meeting of the General Association and was fully identified with all the work of the denomination in the State.
He was a life member of the General Association, of the Ministerial Aid Society and of the Orphans’ Home. He not only gave his time and energies, but also used his own earnings to advance the cause he loved.
He kept a complete record of all his work. He recorded the time, place and text of all his sermons.
According to this record, from 1873 to 1913, he preached more than 5,000 sermons, baptized 727 believers, married 180 couples, and received for his work $29,800. This made an average salary of $745 per year.
But, if from this we should subtract his marriage fees and the expense of travel in his work when preaching to more than one church, as he sometimes did, we can see that he and his wife must have been most careful economists to support a family, and, as they did, keep out of debt.
His last pastorate was at Bille, a town of about 600 population in Osage County.
Here, on the 16th day of March, 1915, he passed from earth to the kingdom of glory, after a short illness.
He was yet in his prime, being only 64 years, 10 months and 9 days of age.
His body was brought to Jackson, which had been his home in the days of his youth, and there, after the funeral services conducted by the pastor, Rev. F. W. Carnett, assisted by Rev. F. Y. Campbell and the writer of this sketch of his life, it was by loving hands placed in the grave.
After hearing the kind words spoken of him in the church, one man said to his son, J. J. Bowman, “I would rather have those things said about me that were said over his body today, than to be president of the United States.”
But every word spoken on that occasion was sincerely uttered. Those who spoke, knew him well for many years and meant every kind word that was spoken.
As an appropriate close of this brief sketch of his life, the following quotation is taken from a tribute written by his son, and printed in the Word and Way of April 1st, 1915:
With the closing of the year he resigned his last pastorate and expressed the belief that his work was about done. Though seriously ill only a few days, he said he was tired and wanted to rest. He knew he was going and was ready. After a night of suffering, as the morning sun was rising, “God’s finger touched him and he slept.” As a tired child falls asleep, his spirit entered into that new day of everlasting sunshine to meet his Master whom he has served so long and so faithfully. He crossed over the river and now rests under the shade of the trees.
And so we are proud that we can pay him this humble tribute, through our sorrow, for we know that he fought a good fight, he finished the course, he kept the faith, and that a crown was laid up for him. – John J. Bowman.
(Source: Missouri Baptist Biography A Series of Life-Sketches Indicating the Growth and Prosperity of the Baptist Churches As Represented in the Lives and Labors of Eminent Men and Women in Missouri Prepared at the Request of the Missouri Baptist Historical Society by J. C. Maple A.M., D.D. and R. P. Rider, A.M. Volume III; Published for The Missouri Baptist Historical Society, Liberty, Missouri by Schooley Stationery and Printing Co, Kansas City, Missouri (1918); transcribed by Mary Saggio)
WILLIAM C. BOWMAN, an enterprising citizen of Cape Girardeau County, and a member of the firm of J. C. Clippard & Co., proprietors of Burfordville Roller Mills, was born in Cape Girardeau County on September 27, 1859, and is a son of Rev. B. L. Bowman, a native of Virginia, who came to Missouri when a young man of eighteen years. He settled in Cape Girardeau County, and afterward married Eliza J. Ford, daughter of Daniel Ford. She was born in Virginia, but was reared in Cape Girardeau County. Rev. B. L. Bowman and wife now reside at Marble Hill, Bollinger Co., Mo. William C. Bowman grew to manhood in his native county, and while young commenced learning the milling business at Burfordville. He afterward worked for a few months at Tiedemann's Mills, Jackson, Mo. In 1882 he took charge of the Burfordville Mills, buying an interest in the same in March, 1887. This is a water mill, with the improved roller process, and is among the best mills of the county. Its daily capacity is eighty barrels. On January 25, 1883, Mr. Bowman was united in marriage with Emma Estes, a native of Bollinger County. Their union has been blessed by two children: Lyman R. and Eula. Mr. Bowman is a member of the Burfordville Lodge of A. O. U. W., which he is serving the second term as financier. He and wife are members of the Missionary Baptist Church. -- Source: Goodspeed's History of Southeast Missouri, c1888, p. 746.
JASPER N. BROOKS, a well-to-do farmer of Cape Girardeau County, was born on the farm where he now resides, November 18, 1837, and is a gon of Hardy Brooks, a native of Virginia, who came to Missouri with his father about 1810 and settled near Cape Girardeau City. Hardy Brooks grew to manhood in Cape Girardeau County, and married Susanna Dunham, after which he bought land and settled where his son now resides. He improved the farm and remained upon it until his death. His wife died on August 14, 1848, and he married again. His death occurred on August 21, 1879. He reared to maturity three sons and three daughters, of whom Jasper N. and two daughters are the only survivors. Jasper N. is the youngest child. He spent his youth on his father's farm, and received a good education in the common schools. In July, 1861, he enlisted in Col. Jeffrey's Eighth Missouri Mounted Infantry (Confederate), with which he served until their surrender at Shreveport, La., at the close of the war June 9, 1865. He participated in most of the engagements of his regiment. Among others were Pilot Knob, Little Rock and Blue Mills. In August, 1863, he was captured in Stoddard County, and held a prisoner in St. Louis at McDowell College for about three months, when he and eight others escaped. After the war he returned home, and on February 14, 1866, was united in marriage with Margaret McLane, a native of Cape Girardeau County, and a daughter of David McLane. After his marriage he purchased a farm and located in Shawnee Township, where he remained for ten years. He then came back to Randol Township and took charge of the home farm. His wife died November 28, 1867, leaving one son, George J. Mr. Brooks afterward married Sarah Louisa Gibbs, daughter of John N. Miller. After the death of his father Mr. Brooks bought the other heirs' interest in the old home farm, upon which he has since made some valuable improvements. The farm contains about 400 acres of land with 200 under cultivation. Five children have been born to him and last wife: Laura L. (Mrs. Wilber Juden), Ida Belle, Hardy O., Ettie Alice and Walter W. Mrs. Brooks is a member of the Methodist Church.
--Source: Goodspeed's History of Southeast Missouri, c1888, p. 746.
OTTO BUEHRMANN, a prominent merchant of Cape Girardeau, was born in that city in 1849. He is the son of Otto Buehrmann, who was born in the Dukedom of Brunswick, Germany, and came with his parents to America in 1833. They located at New Orleans on November 13, and a few weeks later removed to Cape Girardeau, being the first German family to locate at that place. They remained in the city a short time, then located on a farm nearby. The father died in Cape Girardeau in 1880. The paternal grandfather, whose name was also Otto Buehrmann, died there in 1854. The subject of this sketch was educated in St. Louis and in 1865 engaged in the saddlery and leather trade in Cape Girardeau as a member of the firm of Buehrmann & Son, which he continued until 1873, at which time he engaged in general merchandising on Harmony Street, where he remained until 1877. He then located on the south-west corner of Main and Harmony Strets, but soon after moved to his present location on the southeast corner of those streets. He has now two large rooms and employs from five to nine clerks. In 1873 he was united in marriage with Mary L. Williams, a native of Cape Girardeau County. They have had four children, two of whom are living. Mr. Buehrmann is a Freemason. He and family are members of the Episcopal Church.
--Source: Goodspeed's History of Southeast Missouri, c1888, p. 746-747.
DR. K. H. BURFORD, druggist and postmaster at Gravel Hill, Cape Girardeau Co., Mo., was born in Bedford County, Tenn., on May 23, 1821. He is a son of Ben W. and Margaret (Ray) Burford, natives of Virginia and South Carolina, respectively. Ben W. Burford grew to manhood in his native country, and was married there. His marriage with Margaret Ray, who was his second wife, was celebrated in Tennessee. After their marriage they resided in Tennessee, in which State they died. Dr. K. H. grew to manhood in his native county, in which he studied medicine and practiced his profession. His studies were directed by Dr. William O. Beckley of Virginia. In 1848 the doctor removed to Illinois, and from thence in 1853 to Missouri, locating at Cassville, where he practiced his profession for five years. In 1858 he removed to Cape Girardeau County, and located on land in Kinder Township, in which vicinity he practiced his profession twenty years. While in Tennessee he married Louisa Await, who died in 1861, or 1862, leaving seven children: A. J. D., of Cape Girardeau County; J. M. of Marquand; D. W., of Gravel Hill; D. L. of Fruitland; Cornelia A., Mrs. John S. Henry; Belle P., a widow; and W. S. of Gravel Hill. The doctor was appointed postmaster of Gravel Hill in 1878. He chose for his second wife Sophia Price, daughter of Thomas Price, of Lexington, Mo. She was born in Jackson County, this State. The doctor is a Master Mason, and a member of the I. O. O. F.
--Source: Goodspeed's History of Southeast Missouri, c1888, p. 747.
FRANK E. BURROUGH, a promising young attorney of Cape Girardeau, was born in that city in 1865. He is one of three surviving children born to the union of Jacob H. and Mary E. (Deane) Burrough. The former was a native of Philadelphia, who came to Cape Girardeau about 1853. He was a lawyer by profession and had previously practiced in Tennessee, St. Louis and Iowa. He held the rank of captain in the Enrolled Missouri Militia, and was provost-marshal a few months at Cape Girardeau. He was one of the promoters of the Southeastern Missouri Normal, and was president of the board of regents from its inception until a short time previous to his death, which occurred in December, 1883. The mother died in July, 1884. The maternal grandmother was a daughter of George Henderson, one of the early settlers of Cape Girardeau, being located there as early as 1808. Frank E. graduated at the Southeastern Missouri Normal in 1853, after which he entered the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor, graduating in 1885, since which time he has practiced his profession in his native city.
--Source: Goodspeed's History of Southeast Missouri, c1888, p. 747.
ABRAHAM RUDDELL BYRD, of the firm of Horrell, Byrd & Co., proprietors of the Orient Roller Mills, Jackson, Mo., was born near Jackson December 9, 1851. He is a son of Stephen and Nancy Isabella (Moore) Byrd, both of Cape Girardeau County, Mo. The father, who was born June 20, 1815, and died January 15, 1866, was a successful farmer, stock raiser and speculator. The mother was born December 22, 1826, and died February 13, 1861. They were married May 9, 1844. Seven children were born to them, two of whom died in childhood, Catherine and Clarrissa, and five attained majority: William, Elizabeth (McCombs) deceased, Abraham R., Edward and Isabella (Barringer). Abraham R. was reared on his father's farm, and engaged in farming until February, 1885, when he became interested in the milling business. October 2, 1878, he was united in marriage to Miss Sallie M. Hunter, daughter of Judge Joseph Hunter, of New Madrid, Mo. Their family consists of three sons and one daughter: William Joseph Hunter, Abraham R., Olga and Oliver Carlisle. Mrs. Byrd is an ardent worker in the temperance cause, and is president of the Cape Girardeau County W. C. T. U. Both are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. The following is the genealogy and history of the Byrd family of Cape Girardeau County, Mo. Andrew Byrd, of English descent, lived in North Carolina the early part of the eighteenth century. Amos Byrd, son of Andrew Byrd, was born in North Carolina in 1737, married a Miss Ruddell, moved from North Carolina to Virginia in January, 1773, thence to Tennessee, within six miles of Knoxville on the Holsten River, where he reared to maturity five sons and three daughters: Stephen, John, Abraham, Amos, Moses, Mary, Clara and Sallie. He, with his sons and daughters and their families, moved to Missouri, landing at Cape Girardeau in the fall of 1799. Amos, Sr., died June 5, 1818, and was buried on the Penny or Byrd farm, six miles west of Cape Girardeau, by the side of his wife who had preceded him. In the spring of 1800 the Byrds, having obtained grants of land from the Spanish Government, settled near Jackson, on Byrd's Creek, in Byrd Township, Cape Girardeau County. Stephen Byrd, Sr., was colonel in the Black Hawk War, and was a member of the constitutional convention that framed the first consititution of the State of Missouri. Abraham Sr., participated in the Indian wars of Tennessee, and was captain in the Black Hawk War; was several times a member of the Missouri Legislature. He was married in Tennessee, near Knoxville, to Miss Elizabeth Gillispie, daughter of William Gillispie, of a Scotch Presbyterian family, in the fall of 1799. There were born to them eleven children, nine of whom attained majority, viz.: Amos Gillispie, Ingabow (Byrd) , Mary (Horrell), Nancy (Kelso), Stephen, Sabina (Alton), Clarrissa (Horrell) and Emily (Martin). --Source: Goodspeed's History of Southeast Missouri, c1888, p. 748.
BYRD, Abraham Ruddell, Jr., secretary Alsop Process Co.; born, Jackson, Mo., Nov. 29, 1883; son of A. R. and Sallie (Hunter) Byrd; educated Carlisle Training School, Jackson, Mo.; University of Texas, B.S., 1903. After graduation engaged in ranching and mining in New Mexico and at El Paso, Tex., until 1904; with Alsop Process Co., mill machinery, since 1904, secretary since 1905; also member A. R. Byrd & Sons, investments. Member Methodist Episcopal Church, South. Office: 420 Olive St. Residence: 5598 Waterman Ave.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)
BYRD, J. Hunter, president American Forest Co.; born, Cape Girardeau Co., Mo., May 8, 1880; son of Abram Ruddell and Sarah Minerva (Hunter) Byrd; educated in University of Virginia and later became a student in University of Texas; married, Jackson, Mo., Nov. 30, 1904, Emma Evangeline Howard. Left college at twenty-one and spent several years prospecting and mining in New Mexico, Mexico and on the border of Central America; flour salesman, 1904, and in 1905 became connected with the Alsop Process Co., dealers in electrical equipment for flour mills, St. Louis, of which is treasurer; an organizer, 1906, and was director and cashier Central National Bank, St. Louis; president American Forest Co.; member firm of A. R. Byrd & Sons, investments. Democrat. Methodist. Clubs: Mercantile, University. Office: 420 Olive St. Residence: 4211 Westminster Place.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)
WILLIAM BYRD, a prominent farmer and stock dealer of Byrd Township, was born in that township on May 11, 1845. He is the son of Stephen and N. Isabella (Moore) Byrd. William is the eldest of a family of seven children--three sons and four daughters--of whom the three brothers and one sister are living. He grew to manhood on his father's farm. In June, 1863, he enlisted in the Confederate army, joining Jeffrey's Eighth Missouri Cavalry in Marmaduke's old brigade, and served until October, 1864. He participated in the fight at Little Rock, and a great many skirmishes, also, in the engagements at Pine Bluffs and Ironton; at the latter place he was detailed to take care of the wounded Confederates, and upon the arrival of the Federals, after the battle, was taken prisoner and paroled. Returning home he soon after went to Illinois, and remained until 1865, when he again returned home and engaged in farming. On November 21, 1867, he was united in marriage with Mary J. Evans, daughter of J. R. and Catherine Evans. She was born in Cape Girardeau County. Soon after marriage they located where they now reside. Mr. Byrd has a farm of 286 acres, of which 200 acres are improved, and upon which he has a good house, barn and other farm buildings. Mr. and Mrs. Byrd had a family of nine children, six of whom are still living: Ella, Katie, Denia, Edward R., Charles William and Stephen. Mrs. Byrd is a member of the Methodist Church. Mr. Byrd is a member of Jackson Lodge of the A. O. U. W.
--Source: Goodspeed's History of Southeast Missouri, c1888, p. 747-748.
VERY REV. P. V. BYRNE C. M., president of St. Vincent's College, was born in the city of Carlow, Ireland, in 1846. He came to this country when quite a boy, and entered the Seminary of Our Lady of Angels, Suspension Bridge, New York, to pursue his studies for the priesthood. In 1864 he entered the novitiate of the Vincentians, or priests of the congregation of the mission of St. Vincent de Paul. The novitiate was then located at St. Louis, but shortly after the admission of the subject of this sketch it was removed to Germantown, Penn., where Father Byrne completed his ecclesiastical studies. The confinement of seminary life and the close application to study broke down his health, and he was sent to New Orleans to recuperate. On the 19th of March, 1869, he was ordained by Bishop Odin, in St. Mary's Church, in the Crescent City. Shortly after his ordination Father Byrne was appointed to the responsible position of treasurer of St. John's College, Brooklyn, N. Y. Here he remained for six years, doing parochial duty and filling a professor's chair in the college, besides attending to the finances of the instituion. In 1875 he was sent by his superiors to St. Vincent's Church, Germantown, Penn., where he remained for twelve years until called to his present position in January 1887. During the term of his pastorate in Germantown Father Byrne was distinguished for his great zeal for religion, and an unflinching energy in undertaking and carrying to perfection many works of great importance, not alone to his flock, but to the community at large. His crowning work, which he just had time to finish before being called away, was the erection at a cost of $60,000 of a parochial building to be devoted exclusively to the amusement and instruction of the young men of Germantown. Libraries, museums, gymnsium, bathrooms, billiard halls, etc., make it one of the most unique institutions of its kind in the United States. This institution was its founder's practical argument in favor of temperance among young men, of which he was always an ardent advocate. He would draw them away from the saloons by offering them attractions that are calculated to amuse, while they elevate instead of degrading the man. Father Byrne has been long enough at the Cape to make it evident that the same success which followed him in the East will crown his labors in behalf of one of the oldest and most popular institutions of learning in Missouri.
--Source: Goodspeed's History of Southeast Missouri, c1888, p. 749.