History of Cities, Towns and/or Villages
Cape Girardeau County Missouri
(1) Goodspeed's History of Southeast Missouri, 1888; Campbell's
Gazetteer of Missouri, by R. A. Campbell, St. Louis, 1875.
Transcribed by: Anna Newell 2006
Allenville is located at the junction of the Jackson Branch with the Belmont Branch of the Iron Mountain Railroad.
It was laid out in 1869. (1)
Burfordville is located at the site of Bollinger's Mill on
Whitewater River.It has a mill, one or two stores, a Baptist Church and
Is a German community which means "community of peace." It is located near the Perry County line. (1)
Gordonville- 1878 (1)
Jackson was laid out in 1815.
For the first few years Jackson grew quite rapidly and somewhat
retarded the growth of Cape Girardeau, but when steamboats began
regularly on the Mississippi the superior location of the latter place
enabled it to distance its rival.
Jackson was first incorporated by the county court in April 1819, when
an order was made defining the limits of the town, and appointing
William G. Gantt and Joel Blount to hold an election for trustees. (1)
Millersville is on the east bank of White Water River and in White
Water Township. It has two churches, Baptist and Methodist, and
two lodges. It is seven miles northwest of Jackson. It was
settled in 1848. Population about 1875 was about 150
people. At that time it had two general stores, several
blacksmith, wagon and shoe shops, a Masonic Hall, a public school, a
large steam flouring mill and a water mill. (1)
Oak Ridge -
Oak Ridge was settled in 1852. It is situated in Apple Creek Township about ten miles northwest of Jackson. (1)
Old Appleton -
Appleton is situated on Apple Creek, north of Oak Ridge. It was settled in 1824 by John McLane and John Scholtz. (1)
Pocahontas- It was settled about 1856. (1)
MO Genealogy Trails
Candi H. and Anna N. ©2006