Genealogy Trails Welcome to
Carroll County
Missouri

Biographies
" S "

Elvira Standley was born on December 20, 1830 to Hugh Standley and Delilah Ashby. Some family members believe she was born in Adair County, Kentucky but I have not found anything to prove that she wasn't born in Missouri. She married Green Gentry on August 2, 1846 in Carroll County, Missouri. No children were born of this union. She married Larkin Humphries in August 1869 in Carrollton, Carroll County. The picture to the left is that of them and Ruth Winfrey, Poly Beaty, Gene Ann. Elvira died on March 13, 1909 and is buried in the Wharton Cemetery near Bosworth, Carroll, Missouri.
(Submitted by Linda Craig)

 

Standley, James
One of John Standley's sons was James Standley born November 6, in Wilkes County, North Carolina. He was married to Mary (Polly) Trotter while his family was moving to Missouri. After her death, he went back to her parents home and asked for permission to marry one of their other daughters, Jane (Jenny) Trotter. The mother of Jane was afraid to send another daughter to Missouri without family, so Jane's brother traveled to Missouri with them after their marriage. Soon many other Trotter family members followed to Carroll County. It is notedthat in 1818 he was appointed a Justice of the Peace, the first in the county. (An early law suite was resolved by Judge Standley who brought the parties to settle the matter without litigation, and at last was successful in making a compromise.)In reckoning up the costs, none of the parties had any charge except the constable, a man by the name of Woolworth, he representing that he had ridden eighteen or twenty miles through the woods and grass in the heat, threshing flies and he ought to have twenty cents for his labor; an inventory of the available cash of the whole party revealed the fact that Larkin Standley, a son of the Justice, had a silver dollar, the only money in the crowd. James proposed to make the change by making four quarters with an axe. In cutting the dollar it was somehow divided into five instead of four pieces. The constable took one of the pieces for his fee, and Larkin Standley his money (four quarters) back again. It is said that James law library consisted of an old Farmer's Almanac, which had a constitution in it, but whether of the United States or of some single state was never known. It made no provision for appeal... pp. 115, 116. (Photo courtesy of June Standley)

John Standley and Rebecca (Shinn) Standley
There is a memorial brick located at the Carrollton Public Library as a memorial to one of the founding families.

John Standley was born in Virginia in 1764 according to census records. The exact date of his death was not known but it was near April of 1852, as his will was filed for probate on April 5, 1852. His will was written on November 15, 1851, apparently his wife Rebecca (Shinn) had died prior to that date as she is not mentioned in his will. John and Rebecca arrived in Carroll County on November 13, 1819 where they settled at Wakenda. In 1831 John built a home near the creek which bears his name, Standley Creek. It was a well-finished log building and for many years was the hospitable mansion of its proprietor and was one of the oldest landmarks of Carroll County for some time. One of the earliest deaths in what is now Carroll County was one of their sons, as well as the first marriage and the first baptism. In July of 1833 John and Rebecca in open court acknowledged the deed of eight acres of land on which the town of Carrollton is now located. Later John Standley sold his log dwelling to David Thomas who in turn sold it to Rev. Woods. Rev. Woods later sold it to Col David Walker, who removed all the buildings from the foot of the hill to the top where they stood for thirty three years. The old house had been used as the court house, clerk's office, church and dwelling. The house was destroyed by fire June 11, 1882. Many of John and Rebecca's children and grandchildren raised their children in Carroll County.

William Standley, son of James Standley and Jane Trotter.
William Standley, the oldest native born citized of Carroll County, breathed his last Wednesday night at 12:00 o'clock at his home one half mile southeast of the court house.The cause of death is given by his physican as that of old age.Mr. Standley was born in a log cabin located where now stands Kennedy Farnham's greenhouse.His father, James Standley, came to this county from North Carolina on November 13, 1819.January 29, 1822 William Standley was born in the log cabin his father had built, and now within the corporate limits of Carrollton.Five days after the birth of William Standley his mother died, and his grandfather took the little babe and kept him until he was 15 years of age.Mr Standley's schooling was only such as could be obtained in those early days.The only school here during his early boyhood was the one taught by Mrs. Forger and Henry B. Roy, in the old log court house on the north side of the square.After he grew into manhood Mr. Standley located a short Distance southeast of Carrollton and began farming. Except for a period of 18 months spent in California in the early 50's, Mr. Standley lived the entire eighty years of his life within two miles of the place of his birth.In March 1845, Mr. Standley was married to Miss Sarah Maggard.Of this union eleven children were born, five of whom are still living.John H. of Eureka Springs, Ark., B.Y., B.P., and R. Lee, of Carroll county.Mrs. Standley died in 1866.William Standley was as closely identified with the early history of Carroll County as any man. When he was born the county had not been named, but three years before had been sectionized.At this time scarcely a hundred people lived within the bounds of what is now Carroll County.In 1833, when the county was organized Mr. Standley was a lad of eleven years. Pryor to Mr. Standley's death he was one of four men living who attended the first Fourth of July meeting ever held in Carrollton--the other three were, Dr. L. Tull, Harvey Graham of Texas, and John Minnis of Oklahoma.As Mr. Standley's entire life was spent in the vicinity of Carrollton, of course all the older settlers were familiar with his life.From all these came the same words--he was a good citizen and a good man.During the life of all our citizens his figure was a familiary one on our streets, and until the past few months seldom was there a day that he was not seen in the city. In his younger days he had accumulated a fortune, and in his declining years he lived at his ease. He was of a rather retiring disposition, yet he loved to talk of the early history of the county, and many were th interesting incidents he could relate of the the happenings here when the country was a wilderness. A few months ago, bent with age, Mr. Standley began to fail rapidly. His familiar face was seen on our streets less frequently; then he became too feeble to come at all, yet few thought he was so near death's door.This week for the first time did it become known that his end was so near. But the body was worn out and at midnight, Wednesday, September 18, 1901 he breathed his last. The body was taken from his home to that of his son, P.B. Standley, 1 1/2 miles southeast of Carrollton, where, on Friday morning at 10 o'clock the funeral services will be held.He was buried in Oak Hill Cemetery.

Col. James M. Stovall was one of a type of men who are fast disappearing. He was born in Carroll County, Missouri around 1837, of southern ancestry and was with the South in the Civil War. He moved to the old Indian Territory several years before the opening of Oklahoma and had engaged in farming and stock raising. On the day of the opening he came across the South Canadian and almost opposite his ranch located one of the very best valley quarter sections in the whole Oklahoma County. He was a big hearted, generous man, "given to hospitality." He was a natural born colonel and looked the part. He was a real western man who had all the virtues and perhaps some of the vices of western men. He had no patience with hypocrites, demagogues, weaklings, or cowards. There was none of the "Holy Willie" about him; he might "drink and swear and play at cards" but no one would do more or go further to help those in need or in distress. His honesty was proverbial and his word was as good as his bond. He had many friends and but few enemies among honest people. The first territorial Governor of Oklahoma was George Steele. He set up the first election on July 8th, 1890 and they met the first time on August 12, 1890. The three members of the House in Cleveland County were W. C. Adair, James M. Stovall and Thomas R. Wagoner. On the evening of Sept. 3rd, the citizens of Guthrie gave the territorial officials and the members of the legislature a splendid reception. All the territorial officials and members of both houses were there. The reception and ball was held in the House of Representatives and the banquet was served in the Council Chamber. A co-temporary writer described the event as a joyous one and "citizens and strangers were alike happy." He tells of the hall being handsomely decorated and brilliantly lighted with incandescent lamps and an elegant banquet in the spacious halls of the council chamber to over five hundred guests. He gave a glowing description of the ball and tells of the grand march led by Governor and Mrs. George Steele, to the music of the "Guthrie Silver Cornet Band" and also a string band. Soon after taking office there was a motion prepared to move the territorial capital from Guthrie to Oklahoma City. Daniels moved to refer it to the committee on location of the capital. Motion carried by a vote of fourteen to twelve. Those voting in the affirmative were Adair, Clark, Jones, Long, Mathews, Neal, Pack, Peery, Stovall, Talbot; Terrill; Proctor, Wagoner and Speaker Daniels—fourteen. He served three or four terms in the Legislature and died a few years ago at the ripe old age of ninety years. Col. James Stovall's favorite song was that one about Young Saint Simmons being Old Saint Simmons, since Old Saint Simmons is dead."
Source: Oklahoma Chronicles This was portions of several entires submitted by a fellow Represenative Mr. Peery.
(Source: Chronicles of Oklahoma, Vol. 7, No. 4, Dec. 1929)

 

Return to


Carroll County

Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.