Genealogy Trails Welcome to
Carroll County
Missouri

Biographies
" W "

Frederick D. Webster
Frederick D. Webster, proprietor of the Hale Flouring Mill at Hale, has been for a number of years a leading business man of this vicinity. He is of Welsh descent, one of his forefathers having emigrated to New England at an early day. His father, Charles C. Webster, was born in Massachusetts and on arriving at man's estate married Miss Ann Worsley, who was born in Kentucky, and by her marriage became the mother of eight children, of whom our subject is the second in order of birth. The father removed to La Salle County, Ill., in 1834, and followed the life occupation of a farmer.
Our subject was born in Marion County, Ohio, on the 1st of June, 1832, and was but two years of age when his parents brought him to Illinois. His education was acquired in the common schools of La Salle County, and at the age of twenty-four, up to which time he had assisted his father in the care of his farm, he started out in life for himself. For about ten years he devoted his attention and energies to agriculture, after which he determined to become a merchant. He opened a store in Mendota, La Salle County, which he carried on successfully for four years. In 1870, coming Westward, he made a settlement in Carroll County, Mo., where he again became a farmer. In 1884 Mr. Webster came to Hale, and for five years was engaged in general merchandising, after which he sold out his interest and became a part owner in the Hale Flouring Mill, of which he is now superintendent and manager. He still owns one hundred and twenty acres of well-improved farm land.
In 1858 Mr. Webster was married to Miss Harriet Ketcham, a daughter of the Rev. Frederick Ketcham, of New York. Four daughters grace the union of our worthy subject and his estimable wife: Minnie L., Lillie M., Mary S., and Grace A., who have all received good educational advantages and move in the best social circles.
Mr. Webster is a true and loyal Republican and takes an active interest in the welfare of his party and in all public movements tending to the improvement and elevation of his fellow-countrymen.
[Portrait and Biographical Record of Clay, Ray, Carroll, Chariton and Linn Counties, Missouri 1893, Pages 166-167. Submitted by Lisa]

Hon. William H. Whiteman
Himself distinguished as a defender of his country's honor and as one who has attained eminence in his profession and in high positions of public trust, this respected citizen of New Mexico and prominent member of the bar of the Territory must assuredly be accorded due precedence in this work. But there are other elements incidental to his life history which will render the narration all the more valuable and interesting, since he comes of an ancestry long and conspicuously identified with the history of the nation, both in its annals of war and of the "piping times of peace."
Our subject, who has served as Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of New Mexico, is a native of Coshocton county, Ohio, where he was born on the 2d of April, 1844, the son of Henry and Jane (Johnson) Whiteman. His paternal ancestors came from Germany to America prior to the war of the Revolution, and great-grandfather Henry Whiteman was an active participant in the great conflict which insured independence to the American colonies. They were among the early settlers of Frederick county, Virginia, where the grandfather of our subject, Henry Whiteman, the second, was born in the year 1780. Early in the history of Ohio he removed with his family to that State, where he passed the residue of his days, his death occurring in 1854. His son, Henry Whiteman, the third, was the father of our subject. He was born in Frederick county, Virginia, on the 26th of April, 1811. His family had long been identified with the Methodist Church, and as a young man he was ordained to the ministry of that denomination and after removing to the Buckeye State he became a prominent member of the North Ohio Conference. He was a man of much intellectuality, broad charity and that deep sympathy which made his work a power for good in the dissemination of the gospel and the uplifting of his fellow men. He labored long and faithfully in Ohio, where he died in the fullness of years, and honored and loved by all who knew him and appreciated the intrinsic worth of his noble character. He entered into eternal rest in the winter of 1890, having attained the venerable age of seventy-nine years.
The maiden name of our subject's mother was Jane Johnson, and she was a native of Coshocton county, Ohio, being the daughter of Judge Thomas Johnson, a prominent pioneer of that State. She bore to her husband eight children, of whom four still survive. Her death antedated that of her devoted husband by many years, occurring in 1865, at which time she had attained the age of forty-seven.
Judge William H. Whiteman, the immediate subject of this review, was the third child in order of birth, and he grew to maturity in the State of his nativity. Enjoying the advantages of a cultured and refined home, he was also accorded the best of educational privileges, receiving his preliminary discipline in the public schools and completing his literary studies in the celebrated Ohio Wesleyan University, at Delaware.
He was but seventeen years of age when the thundering of rebel guns upon Fort Sumter aroused all the patriotic ardor of a nature which had inherited the loyalty of his brave Revolutionary ancestor. The gage of battle had been thrown down and our subject made ready to at once go forth and lend his quota toward the upbearing of the Union arms and the cause of right and justice. On the 10th of September, 1861, he enlisted as a member of Company G, Twentieth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, his regiment being assigned to the Army of the Tennessee, in which he served gallantly until the close of the great fratricidal conflict. He participated in many of the most important battles of the Rebellion; was in the action at Fort Donelson, Shiloh and Bolivar, and was in all the battles leading up to the siege of Vicksburg and in the taking of that stronghold. He then accompanied his regiment and participated in the Atlanta campaign, was present at the fall of that city and accompanied Sherman's forces on the memorable and triumphant march to the sea. After this the victorious army made its way to the national capital, and there the young soldier had the honor of taking part in the Grand Review. Soon  after this he was mustered out of the service and then returned to his home, having borne nobly his part in the greatest Civil war the world has ever known. At the battle of Raymond Judge Whiteman received a slight gun-shot wound in the left arm, but he was not incapacitated for service thereby for even an hour. On the 30th of August, 1862, he was on the skirmish line, and the Confederate cavalry swung around them before they were aware of it, placing the whole line in the hands of the enemy. Our subject was held as a prisoner of war at Jackson, Mississippi, and was held in captivity at the Vicksburg jail for a period of six weeks, after which he was exchanged and returned to his command. At the close of the war he received promotion in a colored regiment, but as there was no need for his services at this time he did not accept the preferment.
Turning his attention once more to the occupations of peace and preparing to resume the labors so summarily interrupted, Mr. Whiteman spent another year in study at college and in the fall of 1866 removed to Carroll county, Missouri, where he was soon after made Deputy County Clerk, serving in that capacity four years, during which time he devoted himself assiduously to the study of law, having determined to adopt that profession as his vocation in life. He was admitted to the bar in 1870, in November of which year he removed to Baxter Springs, Kansas, where he entered vigorously and successfully upon the practice of his profession, soon gaining recognition of his ability and the retention of a representative clientage. In 1872 he was elected County Attorney of Cherokee county, thereupon transferring his headquarters to the county seat, Columbus, where he remained until 1878, when he received from President Hayes the appointment as Indian Agent for the Ponca Indians. The duties of this responsible office he discharged with particular efficiency and justice for two years – until 1880, which stands as the date of his advent in Albuquerque, New Mexico, which has ever since continued to be his home.
Judge Whiteman was one of the early settlers in the new town, and he has been conspicuously identified with its development and with its public affairs, as well as with those of the Territory at large. He devoted himself to the practice of his profession and soon became known as one of the most able members of the Territorial bar, which fact implies that he was accorded a due support by an appreciative public. In 1874 he was elected to the  Legislature of New Mexico, serving as Chairman of the Judiciary and other important committees, and wielding a marked influence in insuring just and effective legislation, gaining precedence as one of the leading members of the house, in which a number of most valuable enactments were made during his term and in a large measure through his efforts. He opposed and nearly succeeded in defeating the proposition to issue bonds to the amount of $200,000 for the purpose of building a capitol, deeming that so great an evidence of indebtedness would at that time prove seriously detrimental to the interests of the Territory.
In 1888 our honored subject was made President of the Republican Territorial Committee which elected delegates to the Chicago convention. In 1889 he was appointed Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of the Territory and was assigned to the First Judicial District, at Santa Fe. He resigned this office, for which he had proved himself eminently qualified, in August, 1890, and in February of the following year received another conspicuous and honorable preferment – the appointment as District Attorney of the Second Judicial District – an incumbency which he filled with his wonted fidelity and ability until March, 1895, since which time he has given his attention solely to his large and representative private practice. His office headquarters comprise a finely appointed suite in the Armijo Building, the finest business block in the city, and his practice extends throughout the Territory.
On the 16th of April, 1866, Judge Whiteman was united in marriage to Miss Fanny Shepard, a native of Ohio, and the daughter of Alexander O. Shepard, a prominent citizen of that State. Their union has been blessed with five children: William, who died in his sixteenth year; Charlotte J., the wife of A. J. Mitchell, of Marble City, Colorado; Paulina S., wife of John C. Muir, of Albuquerque; and the two younger sons, Mildred and Frederick O., who still remain at the parental home.
In his political views Judge Whiteman has always rendered a stanch allegiance to the Republican party and its principles, and has ever stood ready to defend his thoroughly reinforced opinions in this line, taking an active interest in party affairs and being considered a leader in local ranks. In his fraternal relations he is identified with the Masonic Order, is a Noble of the Mystic Shrine and a prominent member of the Knights Templar. The Judge retains a lively interest in all matters relating to the welfare of those who were his comrades in the uniform of blue and has been very prominently connected with the Grand Army of the Republic, as is manifest in the fact that he is Past Department Commander of the order in New Mexico.
In his intercourse with the world our subject is genial and courteous, having a marked capacity for winning and retaining friends. As a lawyer his actions have ever been such as betoken a character of utmost integrity and honor, and his career has been such as to gain him the respect and confidence of his professional confreres and the people in general. Albuquerque may well honor one who has so ably defended her interests and exploited her attractions and advantages.
Source:  "An Illustrated History of New Mexico . . .;" The Lewis Publishing Company, 1895; transcribed by Genealogy Trails Transcription Team


 

Return to


Carroll County

Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.