Carter County, Missouri Genealogy Trails

Biographies
" C "


Carter, Francis Marion, lawyer was born near Van Buren, now in Carter County Missouri November 28, 1839, son of Zimri Allen and Clementine (Chilton) Carter. Benjamin Carter, father of Zimri A., and grandfather of Francis M. Carter, was born in Virginia and was a descendant of King Carter, and a member of the family of Carters related to the family of Robert E. Lee, and to the Harrison and Randolph families. He was one of the first settlers in the Current River country, where he took up land for the purpose of stock-raising. Previous to his settlement in Missouri, his son, Zimri Allen Carter, was born in Laurens District, South Carolina, in 1794.
Colonel Thomas Chilton, the maternal grandfather of Frances Marion Carter, was a descendant of one of the eleven Chilton brothers who came to America and helped in the colonization of Maryland with Lord Baltimore. The wife of Colonel Chilton was a daughter of Shadrach Inman, some of whose ancestors became prominent and wealthy in east Tennessee by fostering numerous manufacturing enterprises, and well known as the founders of the Inman line of ocean steamships. Colonel Thomas Chilton was one of the pioneers in the Current River country, and his daughter Clementine became the wife of Zimri A. Carter, who became prominent in Missouri, and after whom Carter County was named upon its organization, in 1859.
Francis M. Carter, son of Zimri A. Carter, attended Arcadia College, where he took a preparatory course, after which he commenced studies at the State University at Columbia, Missouri, and subsequently graduated with distinction from the collegiate department of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in 1862, having completed the course in mathematics, Greek, Latin and the modern languages. Always of a studious nature, Mr. Carter steadily advanced along the path of knowledge by extensive reading, giving close attention to political and economic sciences, logic and metaphysics, and has long been recognized as one of the most finished classical scholars and learned thinkers in southeastern Missouri. After leaving college, he commenced the study of law under Judge William Carter and Honorable John F. Bush, of Farmington, Missouri, two of the most learned lawyers of the State, the latter recognized not alone as a man of great legal knowledge, but accomplished in the classics and in modern literature in general. After completing his law studies at Farmington, Francis M. Carter, in 1869, was licensed to practice in the courts and at once entered into active work and soon became recognized as a lawyer of ability and one who, by excellent judgment, integrity and unquestioned honesty, gained and retained the confidence of his brother members of the bar, his clients, and the respect of those who were opposed to him. Frequently, by members of the bar, he has been elected special judge to try cases when the regular judge has been disqualified or unable to sit on the bench.
He has always been prominent in affairs of St. Francois County. From 1870 to 1872 he was superintendent of public schools; was prosecuting attorney from January I, 1873, to January 1, 1881, four successive terms. While prosecuting attorney, by way of fines in misdemeanor cases and suits for back taxes due from the St. Louis, Iron Mountain & Southern Railroad, he recovered more than thirty thousand dollars for the county. He prosecuted and convicted Charles H. Hardin for murder in the first degree in 1880. Hardin was executed at Farmington, in February, 1880, and was the only man ever legally hanged in St. Francois County. The press of Missouri, particularly the St. Louis "Globe Democrat," highly complimented Judge Carter for his skillful prosecution of this case, and his general ability as a prosecuting officer. In 1882 he was elected a member of the House of Representatives of the Thirty second General Assembly and took an active part in the doings of that body. The farmers of the House organized for the purpose of securing desired legislation and preventing the enactment of vicious laws, and Judge Carter was the counselor in all matters and generally their speaker in the assembly. He was one of the leading participants in the arguments over the passage of the bill creating a commission to assist the Supreme Court in clearing its crowded docket, and his argument was considered the ablest that was made on that occasion, and decided the contest in the House, he organizing the farmers in support of the bill. Ever since he became a voter he has affiliated with the Democratic Party though he has ever been controlled in political matters by principle, not by prejudice. He believes that where patriotism and partyism conflict, the voter should be controlled by patriotism.
His general course has never been to vote for or support a candidate for office whom he has reason to believe is corrupt. He was once presented as a candidate for circuit judge and came near being nominated. He was defeated, although the public were with him, by the politicians. He was brought out as a candidate for the Democratic nomination for Congress by the producing classes of his district and was defeated by the course of the Democratic committees in calling meetings in every county so as to aid his opponent, although a large majority of his party favored his nomination. Again, when a candidate for the Democratic nomination for Congress, he was defeated by the committee of his own county in setting aside the result when he first carried the county by a handsome majority in May, 1892, and by compelling him to carry it again in August, 1892, and by putting off the meetings to choose delegates to the Piedmont Convention in September, 1892. The committee of his own county, with but few exceptions, were under the control of politicians of the Thirteenth Congressional District, who influenced them to resort to unfair methods to prevent Judge Carter from carrying his county. In his own county he was held in a contest which lasted three months, before he could have the opportunity to demonstrate his ability to carry the county.
In the meantime statements were being sent throughout the district that he would not be able to carry his county in the mass meetings. He had carried Carter County, and when the time for the township meetings came, he gave his opponent a Waterloo defeat in his county. In 1896 Judge Carter was again called upon to be a Democratic candidate for the nomination to Congress. His nomination depended upon his ability to carry a certain county in his district, but certain Democratic committeemen of that county, whose duty it was to see that Mr. Carter received impartial treatment, espoused the cause of a certain other candidate and defeated the nomination of Judge Carter. During the Civil War, Judge Carter, on account of trouble produced by over study and sedentary habits, was exempted from service. However, he was at the seat of war during the entire rebellion and was in equally as much danger as if he were in the field as a soldier.
He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, having joined that denomination when he was a student at Arcadia College in October, 1856, and since 1864 has been a prominent member of the church at Farrnington, having a number of times been a delegate to the district and annual conferences of the church and having held the positions of trustee and superintendent of the Sunday school, In fraternal orders he is a member of the Knights of Honor and the Ancient Order of United Workmen, and has held important offices in these lodges. June 20, 1877, Judge Carter was married to Miss Maria A. P. McAnally, the accomplished daughter of Rev. Dr. D. R. McAnally, who was for thirty years editor of the St. Louis "Christian Advocate," and was for many years one of the most influential and respected members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, and highly active in its councils. Mrs. Carter's mother was a niece of Mrs. Governor Frances Preston, of Virginia. Governor Preston was her guardian after the death of her mother, who was a daughter of Mrs. General Russell, who was a sister of Patrick Henry. Mrs. Carter's mother was a first cousin of General Albert Sidney Johnston and Joseph E. Johnston.
When Dr. McAnally was president of the Methodist Female College, at Knoxville, Tennessee, Albert Sidney Johnston was a captain in the Regular Army of the United States and for a while was a guest at Dr. McAnally's home. While there he fell in love with a handsome young lady, the daughter of a wealthy Tennessean. Captain Johnston was poor and his attentions to the young lady were illy received by her father. This occasioned the writing of several letters to his cousin, Mrs. McAnally, concerning his affection for the young lady, and the opposition to his suit by her father. These letters, which are now in the possession of the family of Judge Francis M. Carter at Farrnington, Missouri, are couched in faultless English and are manly in tone. The same vein of manly resolution and philosophic reasoning runs through these letters as through the famous letter he wrote President Davis immediately before the battle of Shiloh. Mrs. Carter died in July, 1898, leaving five children, named, respectively, Amy Marion, Russell McAnally, William Preston, Francis Floyd and Helen Wilson Carter.
[Source: Encyclopedia of the History of Missouri Volume I; Edited by Howard Louis Conard; Publ. 1901; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack.]

 

Carter, William, lawyer and jurist, was born in Wayne County (now Carter), Missouri, December 1830, son of Zimri A. and Clementine (Chilton) Carter. His ancestors were English, and long before the Revolution settled in the Virginias, where his grandfather was born. Zimri A. Carter was a native of Abbeville District, in South Carolina, and was born in 1794. In 1808, with his parents, he immigrated to Missouri and located in what is now Warren County. Soon after his arrival there he joined a trading party and started out on a flatboat, making a trip on the Missouri and Mississippi Rivers, and was from home for about seven years. In the meantime his father traded a horse and cow for a large tract of land about eight miles southeast of Van Buren in Wayne (now Carter) County. Upon his return his parents were living upon this land, and he joined his father in farming.
In 1822 he married Clementine Chilton, born in 1804, in Jefferson County, Tennessee, and a daughter of a prominent early settler of Wayne County, who had descended from an old English family who came to America with Lord Baltimore. Zimri Carter became one of the most respected and influential citizens of southeastern Missouri and was for years identified with public affairs, and served as county judge of Carter County, which was named in his honor when it was organized, in 1859. He died in 1870, and two years later his widow was called to eternal repose. They were the parents of fifteen children, and William Carter was their fifth child. He was born on the homestead, where his youthful days were passed. He attended the common subscription schools of his native county, where he acquired the rudiments of education, and later entered Arcadia College (now the Ursuline Academy) in Iron County, where he took a four years' course, graduating with the degree of Bachelor of Arts.
In 1853 he entered the Louisville Law School, of Louisville, Kentucky, from which he was graduated in 1855, and immediately commenced practice of his profession at Potosi, Missouri, where he remained until June, 1862, when he settled upon a farm in St. Francois County, and about two years later located in Farmington, where he soon acquired a large legal clientage and gained recognition as one of the leading members of the southeast Missouri bar. In April 1864 he was elected judge of the Twentieth Judicial Circuit of Missouri, composed of Washington, Iron, St. Francois, Madison, Perry and Ste. Genevieve Counties.
In 1868 he was re-elected and served until 1874, when he was elected to the House of Representatives of the Twenty-eighth General Assembly, where he served one term. He was chairman of the committee on judiciary, and in that capacity was the leader in some important measures which were passed at that session. He was also a member of the ways and means committee. He has always been a Democrat, and cast his first vote in 1852 for Franklin Pierce for president.
Since 1880 he has devoted nearly his whole attention to his large legal practice. In 1886 he was the chief promoter and organizer of the Bank of Farmington, and had as his associates in the enterprise Dr. A. Parkhurst and K. W. Webber. In all propositions that tended toward the development of the latent resources of St. Francois County and the advancement of Farmington he has been foremost.
He is a Mason, having joined the order when he was twenty-one years old. March 27, 1862, he married Miss Marie McIlvaine, her father being a prominent citizen of Washington County. Judge and Mrs. Carter have living five sons and two daughters. They are 5esse Mcllvaine, first lieutenant in the Fifth Cavalry, United States Army; William F., a prominent attorney of St. Louis; Clementine C, wife of Dr. M. A. Bliss, of St. Louis; Thomas B., a successful electrical engineer and a graduate of Washington University; Charles H., a well known attorney at Farmington; Edwin F., a student at Washington University, St. Louis, and Grace A., who resides at home.
[Source: Encyclopedia of the History of Missouri Volume I; Edited by Howard Louis Conard; Publ. 1901; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack.]


 

 

 

BACK
Carter County, Missouri Genealogy Trails
2006 - 2009 by Genealogy Trails -  All Rights Reserved - With full rights reserved for original submitters.