Cass County, Missouri Genealogy Trails


Biographies
~ B ~





WILLIAM H. BARRETT, M. D.,
William H. Barrett, M.D., is a member of the firm of W. H. Barrett & Co., millers and extensive dealers in drugs, groceries, etc., and is a Virginian by birth, having been born June i, 1837. Daniel Barrett, his father was also a native of Virginia, where he was married to Miss Lydia Harper, a distant relative of the family of that name after whom Harper's Ferry was named. William H. was there reared until fourteen years of age, at which time he removed to St. Louis, Mo., where he received his education. In 1851 he began the study of his profession with the late John D. Hodgins, M. D., continuing under his charge until 1853, when he attended McDowell's Medical College, at St. Louis, graduating from that institution in 1856. In 1862-'3 he attended a course of lectures at Pope's Medical College, of the same city. In connection with his studies he was engaged in clerking with Francis, Walton & Warren, wholesale druggists, pursuing his studies during his leisure moments. In 185- he removed to Kansas City, being there engaged in the drug trade until i860, when he resumed the same business at West Point, Bates County, Missouri. There he remamed until 1861, when he enlisted in the Federal arm_y as regimental surgeon of Merrill's Horse. He served in that capacity for three years, after which he came to Harrisonville, and, together with G. M. Houston, embarked in the drug business. He was so occupied till 1871. In 1872 he erected his present laige building, and continued alone in the sale of drugs, until 1875, when he added a full line of groceries. His drug and grocery stock is now one of, if not the largest, carried by any house in the city, and they are doing the principal share of the business, in their line in the place. In 1877 Dr. B. built the extensive mill now managed by this firm, which has a capacity of two hundred barrels of flour per day and which is run night and day to its fullest capacity. Mr. Rarrett was united by marriage September 5, 1860, with Miss Sallie F. Feely, a native of Missouri. They have three children, Kate, Burt and Maude. Dr. B. is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and is a Knight Templar. He also belongs to the A. O. U. W. From 1868 to 1872 he held the office of county treasurer of Cass County.
History of Cass and Bates Counties, O.P. Williams & Co. 1883

THOMAS BEATTIE, M. D.,
Thomas Beattie, M.D., is a native of Belfast Ireland, and was born October 17, 1827. He was reared in that country and received his principal education from the Belfast Royal Academy, which he attended until 1844, when he began his medical studies at the Belfast Medical Hospital. There he remaining until 1846. He then became a student at Anderson's Medical College, at Glasgow, Scotland, where he studied until 1848, and in the fall of that year, and winter of 1849 he attended Edinburgh University, of Edinburgh, Scotland, becoming a graduate of that institution April 18, 1849. In the same month he received a diploma from the Royal College of Surgeons, of that city. In May following he emigrated to Canada, and was engaged in practicing in Quebec for one year. Subsequently he removed to Cincinnati, Ohio, and resumed his profession for three years, after which time he went to Newark, Kendall County, Illinois. Here he resided until 1858, when he came to Cass County, and settled in East Lynne, entering some land around where that town is now located. He practiced there and also managed his farm until 1865, when he settled in Harrisonville, Missouri. He was the only physician who remained in this vicinity during the war. Dr. Beattie, since his arrival in this place, has held a large practice, but has now retired from active labor, attending to only a few patients. He is very prominent here and a man respected by all. He was married October 9, 1849, to Miss Martha S. Byers, a native of Ireland. They have eight children living: Anna M., James, Martha S., Samuel J., Ida, Thomas, William and Eveline.
History of Cass and Bates Counties, O.P. Williams & Co. 1883

MILFORD H. BERRY,
Milford H. Berry, of the firm of Berry, Boswell & Co., millers and grain buyers, was born in Bath County, Kentucky, October 26, 1844. He was there reared and educated, following agricultural pursuits as his occupation. In January 1870, he immigrated to Cooper County, Missouri, where he resided for two years, subsequently coming to Cass County, Missouri, and engaging in farming, which he continued until 1881. At that time, in company with J. T. Boswell and D. K. Elder, he established their present business. They are proprietors of the mill building and fixtures and are operating^ it to its full capacity. They also buy largely in grain of all kinds, and have invested in their business about $15,000 capital. Mr. Berry has been twice marred. First, October 20, 1865, to Miss Mary J. Fulton. They had three children: Elizabeth, Mary L. and Luellen. Her death occurred August 20, 1872. Mr. B. was again married October 17, 1873, to Martha Bouey, a native of Illinois. They have two children: Laura F. and Dumpha. They are members of the Christian Church.
History of Cass and Bates Counties, O.P. Williams & Co. 1883

BENJAMIN F. BERRY, M. D.
The subject of this sketch is a native of Bath County, Kentucky, where he was born May 24, 1849. He there grew up and from 1867 until 1872, was a student of the State University, of Lexington, Kentucky. Returning home in 1872, he removed to Cass County, Missouri, and engaged in school teaching, to which he devoted his attention until 1876. From that time until 1880, he studied medicine under Dr. R. T. Hill, of Nicholas County, Missouri. He attended lectures during the fall and winter terms of 1876-7, and also the term of 1878-9 at the Ohio Medical College, of Cincinnati, Ohio ; and in 1879-80, attended a course of lectures, and became a graduate of the Medical University of Louisville, Kentucky. In 1880, Dr. Berry came to this city and after three months' practice, formed a partnership with Dr. Amerman, which existed until April 21, 1882. Since then he has been alone in the practice of his profession. He is a member of the Order of Mutual Protection, and also belongs to the E. A. U. Of this latter order he is medical examiner. The doctor is a member of the Christian Church.
History of Cass and Bates Counties, O.P. Williams & Co. 1883

JOHN M. BEWLEY
John M. Bewlwy, is a pioneer, not only of Ferry county but also of Stevens county when the first named division was a part of Stevens county. He is well and favorably known in Republic, where he makes his home at the present time, and has a wide acquaintance in Oregon.
John M. Bewley was born in Cass county, Missouri, on January 10, 1845, the son of John W. and Katherine B. (Ellis) Bewley, natives of Indiana and Tennessee, respectively. In 1847 he crossed the plains with ox teams to Oregon, locating in Oregon City. The father died soon after arriving, and our subject’s brother, Crockett W., was killed in the Whitman massacre. His sister was taken prisoner in the same conflict but was rescued three weeks later by volunteers. After this, the mother settled in Yamhill county, remaining until 1864, then removed to Salem, where she died in 1867. The brothers and sisters of our subject are named as follows, C. W., Lorinda E., James F., Linura J., Maranda, Theopolus R., Henry, and John. Mr. Bewley had an uncle, Rev. Anthony Bewley, who was hung by the Rebels in 1864, because of his allegiance to the Union. Our subject received his early education in Yamhill county, Oregon, then graduated from Willamette University in 1866. Following this he practiced dentistry for ten years. Desiring more freedom in life, he went into the stock business, and later took up buying and selling grain. In 1883 he came to Colville and took up surveying, which he had studied during the earlier part of his life. For nine years he was surveyor of Stevens county. In 1896 he located where Republic now is and located numerous mining claims. Later, he patented the ground now in Mono Addition to Republic, and owns a great portion of it. He also has property in Spokane and other places. Mr. Bewley has been surveyor of Ferry county for four years, and has also been justice of the peace for four years.
Politically, he is a Republican, and very active in the campaigns. In 1870 Mr. Bewley married Miss Maggie E. Dawson, whose parents were natives of Scotland and Kentucky, respectively and crossed the plains in 1845 to McMinnville, Oregon. They were the parents of ten children. Our subject and his wife have four children; Frank W., in Republic; Claude, in Spokane; Bernal, in Sanden, British Columbia; and Maude, married to William Page in Republic. [SOURCE: “An Illustrated History of Stevens, Ferry, Okanogan, and Chelan Counties in the state of Washington”; Western Historical Publishing Company, 1904 – tr. By Sandra Stutzman]

JACOB F. BROOKHART, M. D.
Among the old physicians of this county the subject of this sketch deserves especial mention. He was born in Washington County, Maryland, December 17, 1825. At the age of fourteen years he left his native county for Jefferson County, Kentucky. His father, David Brookhart, «^as a prominent politician and for eight terms represented Washington "ounty, Maryland, in the legislature. He removed with his family to [efferson County, Kentucky and there resided until 1852, when with his ion Jacob he came to Cass County, Missouri. Here he made his home mtil his death, which occurred March S, 1859. From 1856 until his demise he held the position of presiding judge of the Cass County Court, he was married in Maryland, March 23,' 1820, to Miss Theresa Funk, also a native of that state. They had three children, Jacob being the second child. In 1847 he began the study of medicine under Dr. Seaton, of Jeffersontown, Maryland, remaining with him one year. He then became a student of Dr. Robinson, near Louisville, Kentucky, and continued under his instructions until 1850, when he graduated from the Medical University of Louisville, Kentucky. In the same year he removed to Nelson County, Kentucky, where he was engaged in practicing for two years, and after this time he came to Missouri and resumed the practice of his profession at Harrisonville until the fall of 1861. He then enlisted in the Confederate Army as first lieutenant of a company, of Colonel R. L. Y. Peyton's regiment and after the battle of Carthage, Missouri, he was appointed regimental surgeon of his regiment, continuing to serve in that capacity for six months. He then joined Col. W. Lewis' battalion, of which he was surgeon until after the battle of Pea Ridge, when he was left in the union lines. He was then compelled to remain there for six weeks when he passed the lines and went to Little Rock, Arkansas, being in active service, until Price's raid when he had charge of the wounded of that army at Jefferson City, Missouri. He was taken prisoner, and with the wounded moved to St. Louis, Missouri, where he was put in charge of one ward of the Union Hospital at McDowell's College. Here he did surgical duty for two months, when, owing to disability, he obtained his freedom on parole. He subsequently went to Kentucky, where he joined his family and after one month's residence there removed to Crawford County, Illinois, there practicing medicine until 1865, when he again came to Harrison--ville, Missouri. Though at that time there was much feeling against Confederate soldiers and against himself and a few others, in particular, he nevertheless passed through those troublous times in safety, devoting his time to the practice of medicine. A while later, owing to ill health, he was compelled to give up active labor. He removed to his farm near town on which he now resides, and devoted himself to farming and a select practice. His farm consists of four hundred acres of land that will compare favorably with any in the county, most of which is under fence. Dr. Brookhart was married June 22, 1852, to Miss Mary E.Bryant Of this union six children are living : Ann C, Ella, John C, Ivia, Virginia L. and Hattie. Mrs. Brookhart died April 8, 1879. He was again married May 12, 188 1, to Miss Laura Bohon. They have one child-Florence W. In 1876 the doctor was elected representative of Cass County to the legislature, and previous to the new constitution of Missouri, he was in 1874 trustee of Grand River Township. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity. In 1856-58 he took an active part in the border war, and was one of the three hundred men who, under command of Reed, fought John Brown near Osawatomie, Kansas JOHN T. BOSWELL,
History of Cass and Bates Counties, O.P. Williams & Co. 1883

JOHN T. BOSWELL
John T. Boswell, of the firm of Berry, Boswell & Co., millers and grain buyers, is a native of Harrison County, Kentucky, where he was born, September 3, 1841. At the age of two years he was brought by the family to Cass County, Missouri, where he spent his youthful days in farming, following that occupation until the late war. In 1861 he enlisted in the Southern army, in Company A, Sixteenth Infantry Regiment, and was sergeant of his company, serving until the close of the war. He was a participant in the battles of Prairie Grove, Helena, Arkansas; Pleasant Hill, Louisiana; Jenkins' Ferry, Arkansas, and the surrender of Shreveport, Louisiana^ June 10, 1865. After that occurrence he returned to Cass County, Missouri, and engaged in farming until July, i88i,whenhe became a member of the present firm. Mr. Boswell was married, January 2, 1870, to Miss Lizzie Farmer, a daughter of the late Rev. Jeremiah Farmer, of Pleasant Hill. They have four children : Edwin R., Grace, Bessie and Lillie. They are members of the Baptist Church.
History of Cass and Bates Counties, O.P. Williams & Co. 1883

WILLIAM M. BRADY
William M. Brady, section 35. The subject of this sketch is an old resident of this county, and a man who has been prominently identified with its farming interests from an early day. He was born August 30, 1829. His father, John Brady, was a native of Kentucky, where he was married to Miss Mary Jackson. They had nine children, William being the seventh. When five years of age he removed with the family to this county, settling where he now resides. There his father died June 17, 1864. He has a farm of 290 acres, well improved. Mr. Brady was married January 20, 1858, to Miss Sophia Haydon, a native of Boone County, Kentucky. They have two children: Ann and Lurline. In 1862, Mr. B. enlisted for the Confederate service in Captain A. Bradley's company, which went from this county. He is a member of the Baptist Church.
History of Cass and Bates Counties, O.P. Williams & Co. 1883

SAMUEL E. BROWN
Samuel E. Brown, collector of Cass County, is an enterprising citizen of this locality. He was born in Cass County, Missouri, February i, 1850. He was brought up here, receiving his education from the schools of this vicinity. During his early life he followed the occupation of farming. In 1867 he attended the State University. He then returned home and resumed agricultural pursuits until he was elected to his present position, in 1881. In 1875-'6 he was assessor of Peculiar Township. He is a member of the Knights of Honor, and also belongs to the M. E. Church. Mr. Brown was united in marriage December 3, 1870, to Miss Zada Robin son, a native of Missouri. They have four children, Lena, John W., Ida and Hattie.
History of Cass and Bates Counties, O.P. Williams & Co. 1883

WILLIAM T. BRISON
William T. Brison, postmaster at Harrisonvilie, was born in Fairfield County, Ohio, August I, 1828. He was reared to manhood and educated in his native county, and in 1849, he engaged in school teaching, which he followed as an occupation until i860. From that time till the breaking out of the war he was interested in photography. In September, 1861, he enlisted in Company F, First Ohio Cavalry, serving until November 26, 1864, and at the time of his discharge was a first lieutenant. He returned to Ohio, and in 1865, attended the Iron City Commercial College for four months. He then embarked in the grocery trade at Outville, Ohio, and after a period of nine months became occupied in farming. In 1866, he immigrated to Missouri, settling in Harrisonvilie, where he resumed school teaching for one year, after which he started in the livery business. This he continued till May 12, 1881. May 17, 1880, he was appointed postmaster of Harrisonvilie, which position he now fills. In 1879, he was elected mayor of Harrisonvilie, holding that office one term. He was justice of the peace of this township for eight years. He is a memberof the Masonic fraternity. Mr. Brison was married April 28, 1868, to Miss Lucy H. Mauk, a native of Ohio. His wife belongs to the Baptist Church.
History of Cass and Bates Counties, O.P. Williams & Co. 1883

JAMES C. BURFORD
James C. Burford, section 17. The subject of this sketch is a native of Mercer County, Kentucky, and was born August 16, 1828. He was there reared and educated. His father, John Burford, came originally from North Carolina, and when a lad removed to Kentucky, where he was united in marriage with Miss Frances Brown. Their family consisted of eleven children, of whom James C. was the tenth child. In 1852 he emigrated to Missouri, settling in Cass County, and engaging in school teaching near where he now resides. In the following year (1853) he went to Warren County, and devoted his attention to stock trading, there remaining until 1866, when he returned to Cass County. He again became interested in farming and stock dealing, and in 1880 he located on his present place. He has a fine farm oi 320 acres of choice land, all of which is under fence. Mr. Burford was married, September 10, 1865, to Miss Susan Hubbard, a native of Randolph County, Missouri. Mr. B. was school trustee of Grand River Township for one termHistory of Cass and Bates Counties, O.P. Williams & Co. 1883

JEFFERSON BURFORD
Jefferson Burford, section 19, is a Kentuckian by birth, and was born in Mercer County, February, 1, 1842. He grew to manhood and received his education in his native county, being reared in the occupation of farming. In 1854 he removed to Missouri, bringing with him a herd of blooded cattle, which he disposed of in this and Jackson Counties. He then returned to Kentucky and remained until 1856, when he removed to St. Louis, Missouri. There he was engaged in stock dealing, making that city his headquarters until 1861, when he enlisted in the Southern Army, in Company B, First Battalion. In 1864, he received a commission as captain of recruiting service and filled this position until the close of the war, being paroled at Shreveport, Louisiana, June 16, 1865. After this he went to Texas and embarked in the cattle trade, driving them through to Memphis, Tennessee, and other markets. In 1867, he came to Cass County, Missouri, following his former business, and in 1870 he purchased the place where he now resides. He has two hundred acres of land that is above the average in this township, all under fence. Mr. Burford was married December, 24, 1869, to Miss R. W. MauLdew, a native of Alabama. They have three children living : Frank B., Emma H., and Fannie S. He is a member of the I. O. O. F fraternity of Harrisonville.
History of Cass and Bates Counties, O.P. Williams & Co. 1883

JAMES W. BURFORD
James Burford, section 17, was born in Cass County, Missouri, March 27, 1847. William C. Burford, his father, was a native of Mercer County, Kentucky, and was there married to Miss Denisia McMurcury, also of that state. They had four children. In 1840 the family emigrated to Cass County, Missouri. James W., the youngest son, was here reared to manhood, receiving his education from the county schools. He has followed through life the occupation of farming and stock dealing, in which he is at present engaged. In 1877 he moved to the city of Harrisonville and bought stock at that point, until September, 1881, when he returned to his present farm. He has 275 acres of land that will average with any in the county, all of which is under fence. Mr. Burford was married February 18, 1869, to Miss Z. L. Wright, a native of Missouri. They have two children now living, Mary B. and Walter F. He is a member of the A. 0. U. W. lodge, of Harrisonville.
History of Cass and Bates Counties, O.P. Williams & Co. 1883

ALFRED BYBEE
Alfred Bybee, section 14. Among the old settlers of this county who have been identified with its interests from an early day may be mentioned the subject of this sketch. He is a native of Kentucky, and was born in Clark County, December 28, 18 10. He was there reared to manhood and educated, following agricultural pursuits. In 1840 he removed to Cass County, Missouri, and settled in this township, where he resided, engaged in the occupation of his youth, until 1861. Then he enlisted in Captain Hurst's regiment, and after a short time with them was appointed assistant quartermaster of that regiment. In 1863 he was commissioned quartermasterof Colonel Irwin's regiment, serving until in the year 1865, when he removed to Fulton County, Illinois. After stopping there threemonths he went to McLean County, and in a short time returned ta Kentucky, where he remained until August, 1865. He again came to Harrisonville, Missouri, and in 1871 changed his residence to that of his son's place, which joins his land, and here he leads a retired life. He has a fine body of land, comprising 700 acres, that will compare favorably with any in the county. Mr. Bybee married, July 10, 1836, Miss. Areminta Railsback. The had seven children, three of whom are now living : James, Fielding, and Napoleon.
History of Cass and Bates Counties, O.P. Williams & Co. 1883



Return to

Cass County

Missouri

Genealogy Trails

All data on this website is Copyright ©2010 by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters