Construction of the L. & S. branch of the Missouri Pacific railroad,
north and south through the center of the county,
in 1880, the town was formed. It is located near the center of the south boundary of the county.
It draws an
extensive trade from both Cass and Bates Counties. The first business house was
built in 1880 by Henry T. Carr.
Belton - Founded by George W. Scott, platted in 1871, 1880 was incorporated
Cleveland- is on the western border of the county
near the half way distance north and south of the county.
It is located on the KS City and Southern railroad and was located on the
projection of this railroad.
With laying the track of the KS City, Clinton and Springfield railway
in the spring of 1865, Creighton was formed.
Named in Honor of John B. Creighton, early settler in Cass County and a
schoolmate of the late George H. Nettleton,
then the president of the above
named railroad company.
Incorporated as a village in Oct. 1885.
In Dec. 1895 it reached a population of
500 making it a city of the 4th class.
Extreme southwestern part of the county. It was platted on the
completion of the KS City and Southern railroad in 1891.
The town of Brosley went out of existence and practically moved to the present
sit of this city.
6 miles east of the county seat, on the Missouri, KS and TX and
the Frisco railroads.
It was founded in 1871 by Noah m. Given and Daniel K.
Hall, at the time of the projection of the Missouri, Kansas and Texas railway.
It was named after the old time country play of that time.
10 miles west of the county seat on Pony Creek across the range
line, between ranges 32 and 33. In 1871 it was founded.
It is practically the successor of Morristown, situate one mile north of
Freeman. It dates back to 1854.
This town was born out of the construction of the Missouri, Kansas and
Texas railroad which lays east and west thorough the center of the county.
Southeast of Harrisonville, 12 miles on the KS City, Clinton and
It is named from the landscape view and fertile agricultural lands surrounding.
City pop. 1, 200.
The town was organized and incorporated in 1885.
Harrisonville- the county seat, first surveyed in 1837. Original plat date was
July 1, 1845.
Pleasant Hill -
One of the old towns of the county, situate in north and
eastern part of the county.
On the main line of the Missouri Pacific railroad
where the Lexington and Southern connects with the main Missouri Pacific
33 miles southeast of KS City, Missouri and 12 miles northeast of
The original town was located on a high hill about 2 miles
northeast of the present railroad depot.
When the town moved to the railroad it
retained the old name.
Located on the KS City, Clinton and Springfield railroad. Ten miles
northwest of the county seat.
Situated on the main line of the Missouri Pacific railroad about7
miles east of Pleasant Hill.
Dayton, Main City, Austin and Everett, all off from the railroad
Lone Tree, Coleman, Jaudon, Daughtery, Gunn City, Lisle, Wingate and Hadsell are
towns on some of our seven railroads crossing the county.
Other Railroad stops: Ord, Kimpton, Barton, Prettyman, Harrelson, Jaudon, and
Former towns now extinct:
Index - Laid out and surveyed in 1857, by Captain A. S. O'Bannon
Grant- located in 1867 same section of Wadesburg in Sherman
Township. A cemetery was still located there at the time it became extinct.
Wadesburg - was founded by Woodson A. Wade in Sherman Township, 1858.
Brosley - was in Coldwater Township
Jonesburg - was in West Dolan Township.
Morristown- located in 1845 and extinct by 1870 and West Union.
Crawford Branch, Lick Branch, North, South, Middle and Main Grand
River, Big Creek, Camp Branch, Sugar Creek, Black's Creek, Eight Mile,
Tennessee, Town Creek, Muddy, and perhaps other small rivulets only known to be
named by close neighbors.