Chariton County, Missouri
DAVID CAMPBELL, 1821.
Born at Abingdon, Virginia, March 11, 1788. Merchant. Appointed a Trustee of East Tennessee College, 1821. Director in Bank of Tennessee. Secretary of first meeting of stockholders of projected Louisville, Cincinnati & Charleston Railroad Company, Knoxville, 1837. Trustee of Knoxville Female Academy. 1838; Treasurer, 1839. Died at Brunswick, Missouri, October 15, 1844.
Explanatory Note. The date set opposite the name of each Trustee indicates the year of his first connection with the University as Trustee; either by election by the Board of Trustees pending confirmation by the Legislature, or by direct Legislative appointment without previous election by the Board. When the name of the State is not given the present State of Tennessee is to be understood. The terms Southwestern Territory or Territorial Government refer to the Territory of the United States South of the River Ohio. [University of Tennessee record, Volume 1 By University of Tennessee, Knoxville, 1898- Transcribed by FOFG]
JOHN W. CAZZELL
JOHN W. CAZZELL, a prosperous general agriculturist residing upon section 28, township 52, range 18, Chariton County, Mo., is an energetic, enterprising and popular citizen, satisfactorily discharging his duties as Justice of the Peace and Notary Public, and most efficiently transacting his public business as Collector of the township. Our subject was born in the good old State of Kentucky, January 17, 1844. His father, John Cazzell, was a native of West Virginia, and was born December 27, 1818. He is yet living and resides in Indian Territory. The mother of our subject, Mrs. Jane (Wamsley) Cazzell, was born in La Fayette County, Ky., in the year 1820, and passed away in 1875. Unto John and Jane Cazzell were born thirteen children; William f. (deceased); Elizabeth, now Mrs. Bullock; John W., our subject; Jane and America (deceased); James; George and Nancy M. (deceased); Sarah A., now Mrs. William M. Morrison; Lourana, Mrs. John Avery; Henry H.; Benjamin; and Joseph (deceased). Our subject was but eight years of age when his parents removed from Kentucky to Ohio, where they resided for two years, in the spring of 1855 locating in Missouri. They made their journey hither by water, landing at Glasgow, and from there came direct to Chariton County, which they made their permanent home. John W. received his primary education in the schools of Kentucky, Ohio and Missouri, and assisted his father in the agricultural duties of the farm. When the father, mother and children arrived in their Missouri home, the father had just one dollar with which to begin life here. Nearly two-score years have passed since, upon April 3, 1855, the Cazzells settled in Chariton County, where the father met with success and from his very small beginning amassed a comfortable competence. Our subject owns two hundred and forty-two acres of valuable land, eighty acres of which he has brought under a high state of improvement, the homestead annually yielding an excellent and profitable harvest.
In 1866, John W. Cazzell and Sarah W. Price were united in marriage. Mrs. Cazzell was a native of North Carolina and for some time previous to her marriage a resident of Missouri. She was a widow, Mrs. Alexander Price, when our subject made her acquaintance. The union was blessed by the birth of two children, John W., Jr., and William, deceased. Mr. Cazzell and his wife and son are valued members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and are among the active workers of that religious organization. The family are also widely known as interested in the social and benevolent enterprise of their locality and are ever ready to assist in the promotion of all matters tending to the elevation and betterment of humanity. In the troublous times of the Civil War, Mr. Cazzell served bravely for three years in the Federal service, and from January 20, 1862, until February 20, 1865, was constantly exposed to privations and danger and actively participated in several hard-fought battles and was present at the encounters of Kirksville, Mo., and Fayette, also engaging in numerous skirmishes with the bush whackers. The war ended, our subject returned again to the peaceful life of a farmer, after three years of faithful service in behalf of national existence, having just attained his majority one month before his honorable discharge from the Federal army. As was the ardent and patriotic young boy, so is the adult man, an earnest true and public-spirited American citizen, highly respected by the entire community among whom he passes his useful and honored life. Politically, Mr. Cazzell is an ardent advocate of the Republican party. Besides his other offices of trust he has for some time occupied a leading position as a valued member of the School Board, and with wise suggestion and prompt action has materially assisted in the upward progress of the district schools. A friend of education, the interests of the youth of his locality may be safely intrusted (sic) to his fostering care. Always busy, cheerful and courteous, our subject wins his upward way, and, a man of upright character, rests secure in the confidence and regard of a host of friends. [PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD of Clay, Ray, Carroll, Chariton and Linn Counties, Missouri CONTAINING Biographical Sketches of Prominent and Representative Citizens, Chicago: CHAPMAN Bros. 1893, Pages 162 - 163 contributed by: Lisa]
JAMES D. CUNNINGHAM
Owner of St. James Hotel Leaves a $100,000 Estate
James D. Cunningham, 55 years old, died at the St. Mary's Hospital at 12:55 o'clock yesterday. Mr. Cunningham has been in poor health for several weeks. He was born in Madison, Wis., February 11, 1856. He lived at Sargent, Neb., where he engaged in the hardware and implement business with his brother-in-law, and at Brokenbow, Neb., where he was in the live stock business. In 1898 he moved to Enid, Ok., and started a hardware store, also serving a term as county treasurer for Garfield County, Oklahoma. In 1902 he moved to Keytoeville, Mo., where he made his home. He left an estate valued at $100,000 in Kansas City. He owned the St. James Hotel at Tenth and Locust streets and land in Southern Missouri and Oklahoma. His wife and seven children, Mrs. T. W. Smith, Mrs. George D. Key, both of Lawton, Ok., John W. Cunningham, a student of the University of Missouri; Orval J. Cunningham, a physician of this city and Grace Gladys, Leota Ellen and James D. Jr., all living at home. (Kansas City Star, May 15, 1911, page 3 Submitted by Peggy Thompson)
BENJAMIN WHITEHEAD LEWIS
The great American republic has in many ways reset the conditions of lie and changed long established beliefs in numerous lines of thought and action. Until the gigantic enterprises which distinguished the development of her enormous northwestern territories were put into successful operation no one thought of looking for mercantile or business industries of magnitude outside the mighty marts of commerce. America has taught the world that they can be conducted on an enormous scale in the very heart of an almost unbroken wilderness. One of the most impressive illustrations of this fact is furnished by the career and achievements of the late Benjamin Whitehead Lewis, of Gunnison, whose death on October 23, 1903, after an illness of only a few hours, left his great work unfinished but so far developed as to make it a lasting monument to his executive ability, financial genius and capacity for large affairs. The business enterprises which he put in motion and conducted with emphatic success were of such character and magnitude as to forcibly engage attention and almost stagger belief, even here in the west, where men have their vision adapted to colossal proportions in everything. Mr. Lewis was born at Glasgow, Missouri, on August 14, 1840, and was the son of Benjamin W. and Amanda (Barton) Lewis, natives of Virginia, who emigrated to Missouri when young and were married at Glasgow in that state. There the father became a tobacco merchant on an extensive scale, in fact, one of the largest in the United States at the time, with warehouses also in London, England. He and his wife died some years ago in the town which had been the scene of his great operations, and their remains were buried there. Their son Benjamin was reared in his native town and received a liberal education from private instructors at Fayette, Missouri. While yet a young man he entered the business of his father, and during the Civil war was its representative to London. Near the close of the war he returned to his home and assumed entire charge of the business. Soon afterward he opened his principal office in New York city, and about 1870, owing to the high war tax on tobacco, he retired from his chosen line and, going to St. Louis, organized the Merrimac Iron and the Big Muddy Coal companies, which carried on extensive business with mines located in southwestern Missouri, and works and blast furnaces at Grand Tower. Later he became connected with the Kansas City & Northern Railroad and was made its president. During his tenure in this office he extended the line from St. Joseph, Missouri, to Council Bluffs, Iowa. When the Wabash gained control of the road the presidency of the system was offered him, but finding himself in conflict with the Goulds, he declined the offer and retired from the railroad business. Before doing so, however, he consummated the sale and transfer of the Missouri Pacific from Commodore Garrison to Jay Gould, one of the largest deals of its kind in the history of the country up to that time. He next gave his attention to operating in grain on the St. Louis stock exchange and acquired considerable wealth by his operations. About 1880 he became interested in mines in various parts of Colorado, principally at Leadville and in the neighborhood of Gunnison, and came into possession of some of the most extensive iron mines in the country. His great ambition was to make Gunnison a second Pittsburg on account of its natural advantages in iron and coal, and with this end in view he became one of the leading builders and promoters of the place. In 1883 he put up the La Veta Hotel, one of the finest buildings in the state, four stories high, one hundred by one hundred and twenty-five feet in size, with one hundred and fifty rooms for guests, and constructed of brick and stone, the house and its furnishings costing about two hundred and fifty thousand dollars. About the same time he organized the Gunnison Gas & Water Company, which furnishes light and protection from fire to the city, and a little later built the electric light plant of the city. In 1885 he built the Tomichi Valley Smelter at Gunnison, at a cost of two hundred and fifty thousand dollars, and expended large sums in operating it, but without success on account of unfair discrimination in railroad rates. He worked for years and spent fortunes to bring about his one desired result, that of making Gunnison a great smelting and steel manufacturing town, and in his efforts acquired extensive holdings in iron mines. At various times he had good opportunities to sell these to great advantage, but in every deal that was undertaken he made it a condition that works should be established at Gunnison, in case the sale were consummated, and this condition being unwelcome to the intending purchaser, he retained the almost inexhaustible iron ore deposits of this region to the day of his death, in all things proving his unswerving loyalty to the town of his choice and benefactions, which he did more to build up and develop than any other man. In the midst of his great usefulness, and while his mighty projects were yet unfinished, he was fatally stricken and died a few hours later. His wife and daughter were at Hot Springs, Arkansas, at the time, but they hastened home in season to be present at the imposing funeral, which was held in Denver, his remains being buried from the home of Rev. Dean Hart, one of his intimate friends in that city. He was married in 1867 to Miss Anna McCreery, a native of that city and daughter of Phocion and Mary J. (Hynes) McCreery, the former a native of Kentucky and the latter of Nashville, Tennessee, both of whom died in St. Louis. The father was a member of the old and widely known dry goods firm of Crow, McCreery & Company. In the Lewis household eight children were born. One son, Humphries, died in 1898, aged seventeen years. Robert B., Mary McCreery, Amanda E., wife of K.L. Fahnestock, of Leadville, William H., Anna E., McCreery and Irwin are living. On the fame of this man of great enterprise and capacity, whose life was devoted to pursuits of magnitude which provided employment for thousands of willing heads and hands, and furnished comfort for hundreds of happy homes, time set before he went hence the seal which is seldom set except upon the fame of the departed; for he was known throughout the country as a great captain of industry long before his death. (Source: Progressive Men of Western Colorado, Publ 1905. Transcribed by Kim Mohler)
AMOS W. MOORE
Amos W. Moore was born June 12, 1837 in Clay County, Indiana, the son of Druzilla Rice and William R. Moore. He married Sarah Jane Burk, May 8, 1856, in Clay County, Indiana. Civil War Service: He enlisted September 24, 1864, to serve one year with Co. F of the 30th Regiment of Indiana Volunteers. Amos was discharged July 10, 1865. The family moved from Clay County, Indiana to a farm near Bushnell in McDonough County, Illinois. 1870 Census. Family lived in Harris Township in Fulton County, Illinois, adjacent to McDonough County. In 1874 the family moved from Illinois to Missouri. 1880 census: the family lived in the Bee Branch Community of Chariton County, Missouri. Amos died September 15, 1918 at the age of 81. He is buried in the West Oakwood Cemetery at Bevier, Macon County, Missouri. Sarah Jane Burk was born July 15, 1838 in Indiana. She was the daughter of Jacob Burk of Hooserville, Clay County, Indiana. She married Amos W. Moore on May 8, 1856 in Clay County, Indiana. She moved with family from Indiana to Illinois, then to Chariton County, Missouri. Sarah and Amos were the parents of nine children, 4 sons and 5 daughters. 1. Nancy Druzilla 2. William Jacob 3. James Franklin 4. Rebecca 5. John Henry 6. Sarah Rachel 7. Mary Jane 8. Samuel J. Tilden 9. Pauline. Sarah Jane died February 20, 1923, at the age of 84. She is buried in the West Oakwood Cemetery in Bevier, Missouri, beside her husband Amos. [Submitted by: Roy Shelmadine]
JOHN J. MOORE
Since the early part of the century the family of which the gentleman whose name heads this sketch is a member has taken a leading part in the history of Chariton County. His grandfather, John Moore, emigrated to Missouri from Kentucky about the year 1816, making the entire distance on horseback. After looking around for two years he concluded to make this county his future home, and accordingly brought out his family. He served as the first Sheriff of Chariton County, which then extended as far north as the Iowa line. He was one of the very early pioneers of Old Chariton, a place which at that time was thought destined to be the greatest city west of the Mississippi River. Mr. Moore carried on a hotel for some years at that point, and was killed by a stranger in his own home.
Our subject is a son of John G. Moore, who was born in Chariton County, and who married Miss Martha Jane Holland, a native of Rockingham County, Va., who came West with her parents when quite young. After his marriage, Mr. Moore entered land of the Government within one and a-half miles of Keytesville, where he lived during the remainder of his life, and was a well-known farmer and stock-raiser of the county and a leading citizen. He was an extensive slave-owner, and was killed in 1863 on his farm by one of his slaves. He had a family of nine children of whom eight grew to manhood and womanhood, and six of whom are yet living.
Mr. Moore of this sketch was born in Chariton County, on the 3d of November, 1841, and passed his boyhood on the old homestead. His education was that of the district schools, which he supplemented by a course at the college in Glasgow, Mo. He was only seventeen when he enlisted in Clark's division, State Guards, from which he was transferred to Company D Sixth Missouri Regulars, C. S. A. He was in service for four years and fifteen days, in which time he took part in many of the most severe battles of the war. We mention among these the battles of Pea Ridge, the first engagement at Corinth, Miss., next the battle of Iuka, and afterward the second battle of Corinth, whence he was sent to Dalton, Ga., taking part in the battle at that point, then in the engagement at Rome (Ga.), New Hope Church, Kenesaw Mountain, Marietta, Atlanta, West Point (Miss.), Columbia (Tenn.), Franklin, Nashville, Vicksburg, Big Black River, Port Gibson, Blakely and Altoona, besides many other minor engagements. In 1861 he was in the border campaign through Missouri, and was four times more or less seriously wounded. At Vicksburg he was taken prisoner, being afterward exchanged.
After his return from the war, Mr. Moore located on the old homestead, where after living for about eight months he was united in marriage with Miss Eliza Reynolds. To them were born two children, one of whom died in infancy, and the other, Ephraim P., is a farmer three and a-half miles southeast of Keytesville. Mrs. Moore departed this life October 22, 1871. In 1867 our subject removed to a farm he had purchased one and a-fourth miles south of his birthplace. to its cultivation and improvement he devoted himself until 1884, engaged in general farming and stock raising.
On the 3d of November, 1872, occurred the marriage of Mr. Moore and Miss Eliza F. Wood. Mrs. Moore is a daughter of B.F. Wood, a prominent farmer of Chariton County. His death occurred in 1889, at the age of sixty-six. He was born December 16, 1823, in this county. His widow is still living on the old3farm in Keytesville Township. Six children have been born to
Mr. and Mrs. Moore. The family circle is still unbroken, and in order of birth they are as follows: Eggleston, Grace, Ella H., Virgie, John G. and Rebecca.
In 1884 Mr. Moore was elected Sheriff on the Democratic ticket, filling that position for two terms, four successive years, with great credit to himself and to the full satisfaction of his constituents. After his term of office had expired he became the proprietor of the Keytesville House, which he carried on for two years, since which time he has been engaged in operating the street railroad in this place. The line runs between Keytesville and Keytesville Station, a distance of about two miles, which is much traveled. He still owns two hundred and forty acres of good farm land in Bowling Green Township, this county, and also some property in the town.
Mr. and Mrs. Moore are members of the Presbyterian Church, and the former hold membership with the Select Knights of the Ancient Order of United Workmen. He has always been a strong supporter of the Democracy and one of the active workers in the ranks. He is Secretary of the Democratic Central Committee, and in 1888 was made Delegate to the State Convention. [Portrait and Biographical Record of Clay, Ray, Carroll, Chariton and Linn Counties, Missouri 1893, Pages 175 – 176. Submitted by Lisa]
JUNIUS WOODSON PEERY
A member of the splendid old pioneer family of Peery’s which has been sketched through its various generations on other pages, Junius Woodson Peery has added to the many other distinctions of the. family a remarkable record as a successful lawyer. For the past thirty years Mr. Peery has not only stood at the head of the Gentry County bar, but has been identified on one side or the other with cases in the district and federal courts all over Northwest Missouri.
Junius Woodson Peery, a son of William and Lucy Ann (Forkner) Peery, was born in Grundy County, Missouri, June 28, 1855. He was reared in the fine atmosphere of his father's home, and as a boy attended the old Grand River College at Edinburg, an institution in the founding of which his father was one of the chief factors. On leaving school he became a clerk in the store of his brothers, E. L. Peery & Company of Albany. His ambition to become a lawyer took definite form at the age of nineteen, when he entered the office of Judge Lewis at Albany, and continued his studies until admitted to the bar in November, 1877, before Judge Samuel A. Richardson. His examining committee were Judge John C. Howell, afterward circuit judge of the district; Judge B. F. Lucas, an old-time Pennsylvania lawyer who lived in Albany a few years and later died at Grant City; and Judge Goodman, who is still a member of the Albany bar.
A few months after his admission to the bar of Missouri, Mr. Peery in March, 1878, went out to the frontier of Nebraska, and for four years practiced law at Bloomington. The federal land office was there, and the activities of settlement and the relations of a heterogeneous class of people in a new country gave him a practice both in federal land laws and in the local courts. He made a reputation for himself in criminal practice, and by the time he was twenty-six years of age had defended several murder cases in the West. Returning to Albany January 1, 1882, Mr. Peery has practiced steadily in one location and has occupied his present office for over thirty years. In general it may be remarked that he has been in many of the important civil and criminal cases of his section of the state during his time of practice, and has also represented important litigation in the federal courts. Mr. Peery is attorney for the Wabash and Burlington railways at Albany.
While never an aspirant for political office, Mr. Peery has for some years been regarded as a successful and forceful campaigner, and has never missed giving his presidential vote to democratic candidates from 1876, when Tilden was the nominee, until 1912, which brought in the present Wilson administration. In spite of this regularity as a voter, Mr. Peery never made a political speech until the campaign of 1896, when Mr. Bryan made his first race for the presidency. He has been a delegate to the state conventions, has the acquaintance of all the democratic leaders in Missouri, and was a close friend of Congressman Dockery. He was an alternate delegate to the national democratic convention of 1896, and was in the Coliseum at Chicago and heard Bryan's famous "cross of gold and crown of thorns" speech. Mr. Peery also attended the Kansas City convention, and was present when Bryan was nominated for the third time by his party.
At Chillicothe, Missouri, April 9, 1890. Mr. Peery married Miss Leora Trent, daughter of Frederick W. and Jane (Redding) Trent. The Trent family were established in Chariton County, Missouri, in 1818, coming from Virginia. Frederick W. Trent was born in Chariton County in 1823, spent his career as a merchant, was a man of quiet and reserved character, and died in 1911. Before and during the war he was a Union man, and though a lifelong and personal friend of Gen. Sterling Price declined to take the Southern side of the controversy between the states, and was a republican after the war. Three of his brothers were Confederate soldiers. Mrs. Peery was one of his two children, and her brother is John A. Trent, an insurance man of Kansas City. Mr. and Mrs. Peery have a daughter, Louise Trent, who first studied at Central College in Lexington, Missouri, was for two years at Hosier Hall in St. Louis, where she graduated in 1911, and then took a post-graduate course in the same school. Mr. Peery has no fraternal affiliations, believes strongly in churches and church influence, and contributes to the Methodist Church South. [A History of Northwest Missouri, Volume 2; edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1918; Donated and Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack]
FATHER HERIBERT STOTTER
Rev. Father Heribert Stotter, of the order of St. Francis, the self-sacrificing and devoted priest of the parishes of Indian Grove and Brunswick, Chariton County, Mo., is one of the most energetic, earnest and faithful workers in the Christian field in the Southwest. Born in Rinkerode, Province of Westphalia, Germany, May 30, 1857, our subject was one in a family of ten children, two daughters and eight sons, and was the second youngest of the brothers and sisters who clustered around the home fireside. The paretns were John Bernard Stotter, and Gertrude (Luetke Woestmann) Stotter, who each represented families who could trace back their ancestry through numerous generations of their Fatherland. The father had always been a tiller of the soil, and as the sons were able they too assisted in the labors of the farm, and grew up sturdy, robust men, of fine physique and commanding presence.
Simple in their tastes, industrious in their habits, and deeply religious from their earliest life, the children were devout in their observance of church duties, giving earnest thought to the strengthening of Catholicism, and our subject was not more than fourteen years of age when he resolved to devote his life to the service of the church. Keeping the priesthood constantly in view, Father Stotter continued to receive instruction in the parish school until he emigrated to America. Arriving in the New World shortly after attaining his fifteenth year, it was not long before our subject began his preparations for the life of a celibate. He first studied in St. Joseph's College, and at the Monastery of St. Francis at Teutopolis, Ill., spending in these religious institutions eight years, then giving two years' close attention to philosophy in the monastery at Quincy, Ill. At the expiration of this length of time, he entered the monastery of St. Anthony, at St. Louis, Mo., remaining there four years, and then was assigned to the charge of the Brunswick and Indian Grove churches both of Chariton County, Mo. It was in July, 1887, that Father Stotter entered upon his new field of duty, since which time the parishes have both been greatly prospered, their faithful, earnest and energetic priestly guide gaining a host of sincere friends among the people who daily witness his pious labors. The parish at Brunswick, a part of our subject's dual charge, was established in 1870, mainly through the persevering efforts of John Strub, Eherad Reinwald and Emil Paul Holland, who were the first Trustees of the parish. St. Boniface progressed at first but slowly, not being able for some time to establish a school in connection with the other parish work. In 1879, pupils first received instruction under the supervision of Father John Rings, O. S. F., the school being conducted by a lay teacher until 1886. It was then placed in the care of the Benedictine and St. Francis Sisters. The immediate predecessor of the Rev. Father Stotter was Father Patrick Degraa, O. S. F., who remained in charge six years. Among the early priests who did conscientious and efficient service in this religious field of work were the Rev. John Rings, O. S. F., Father Bonaventure, O. S. F., and Rev. Father Francis, O. S. F. The Rev. Charles Kearful, whose name is revered in the parishes, was among the first of the priests who officiated here. Before the parishes were established a missionary priest periodically visited the families of the Catholic faith in Brunswick, baptizing the children, and encouraging them in the exercise of their religious duties. For fifteen years the missionary fathers continued upon their rounds in this portion of Missouri, doing a great religious work when it was a struggling Territory, laboring under disadvantages and advancing but slowly to a triumphant Statehood. The career of the Rev. Father Stotter has been distinguished by piety, earnest purpose, and the good judgment which has materially aided him in the promotion of the various enterprises which have received their conception and guidance during his ministrations. The brothers of our reverend subject who have made their home in America have each adopted a religious life, and belong to the O. S. F., and are among the highly valued lay members of the order. Our subject, although not a native-born citizen, is in full accord with the institutions of our Republican nation, and urges upon the members of his flock the stern necessity of making themselves worthy of the great privileges they now enjoy. Devoted to the work of the Master, untiring in his round of duty among the sick, suffering and dying, purifying and elevating grosser humanity, Father Stotter goes upon his way blessed in his efforts, and esteemed and respected by all who know his unblemished record and standard of principle. [Portrait and Biographical Record of Clay, Ray, Carroll, Chariton and Linn Counties, Missouri 1893, Pages 168-171. Submitted by Lisa]
FREDERICK WOODSON TRENT
Frederick Woodson Trent was born in Chariton County, Missouri, November 12, 1823. He was the son of Alexander Trent and Mary (Hix) Trent. His father was born in Buckingham County, Virginia, in 1797. His mother was born in Prince Edward County, Virginia, in 1803. Her father was Dr. Archibald Hix, a planter of Prince Edward County. They were married in 1818, and in that year came to Missouri with Dr. Archibald Hix and his brother-in-law, Judge Henry Lewis, both of whose wives were daughters of Jacob Woodson, a planter of Prince Edward County, Virginia. Dr. Hix and Alexander Trent (the father of Frederick W. Trent) located in Chariton County, and Judge Lewis located in Howard County. Frederick W. Trent was married in 1848 to Sarah Redding, who was born in 1830, and who was a daughter of Isaac Wilson Redding and a granddaughter of Felix Redding, a planter of Washington County, Kentucky, who came to Chariton County, Missouri, about 1820, and while St. Louis was yet a village. Felix Redding, although a man of affairs and large property, was an ordained Baptist minister, and one of the pioneers and founders of that denomination in Missouri. But all of his services to the church were gratuitous, and he never accepted compensation for his labors. Frederick W. Trent was a merchant during most of his active life, and the last forty years of his life he lived in Chillicothe, Missouri. He has two children, John A. Trent, an insurance man of Kansas City, and Leora Trent Peery, wife of J. W. Peery of Albany. He was a man of great intelligence, who always took great interest in public affairs. During his long life he held many offices and positions of public trust. Although of Southern lineage, and having two brothers and one brother-in-law in the Confederate army, during the Civil war, he was an ardent Union man, and ever afterwards a consistent republican. He died at his home in Chillicothe, in March, 1911. His wife died at the home of her daughter in Albany, in July, 1911. [A History of Northwest Missouri, Volume 2; edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1918; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack]
Chariton and Carroll county
This family, which is so well and favorably known throughout Chariton County, Mo., is of Irish descent, and it was during the Colonial history of this country that the family tree first took root on American soil. The paternal grandfather of the subject of this sketch, Hedgeman Triplett, attained the rank of Major in the Revolutionary War, being a member of Thomas' regiment of Virginia volunteers. He emigrated from Culpeper County, Va., to Franklin County, Ky., with his wife, whose maiden name was Nancy Popham, and there purchased a tract of land, on which he made his home until 1833, when he paid the last debt of nature, at the advanced age of ninety-nine years and eight months. His family consisted of five sons and five daughters, the following of whom are especially worthy of mention, owing to the extreme old age to which they attained: Elizabeth died in Kentucky at the age of one hundred and four years; Mildred passed from life in Morgan County, Ill., at one hundred and two years of age; William died in Platte County, Mo., when one hundred and one years old; and George W. was called from life in Davis County, Ky., at the age of ninety-one years. The latter served as Quartermaster and was a Representative from Kentucky to the Confederate Congress. He was also a member of the Kentucky Legislature, and at one time held the rank of Adjutant-General. One of his brothers was Hedgeman Triplett, Jr., the father of J.E.M. Triplett.
Hedgeman Triplett was born in Culpeper County, Va., but when a boy removed to Kentucky with his parents, and located at Briant Station with Boone and others. He was brought up in Franklin County, which was then almost wholly in a state of nature, and upon reaching man's estate he married Margaret Eddins, a daughter of Joseph Eddins, a Virginian. He eventually became a wealthy farmer and was highly respected by all who knew him. He and his wife became the parents of five sons and two daughters, the latter dying in infancy. The sons were: Harrison, who died in Kentucky; John E.M., whose name heads this sketch; George, who died in Kentucky; Alexander, who died in San Francisco, Cal.; and Thomas, who died in July, 1892, at Austin, Nev., where he founded the town, and there operated a quartz mill, being also interested in mining. The father of these children attained the age of fifty-six years, dying in Kentucky in 1845, his wife's death occurring in Missouri about one year later. They were a worthy couple and had many warm friends.
J.E.M. Triplett is a native of Franklin County, Ky., where he was born December 2, 1818. He received a practical education in the schools of that county, becoming sufficiently well qualified to become a teacher, an occupation which received considerable of his attention during his early manhood. After the death of the head of the family he, with his widowed mother and brothers, came to Carroll County, Mo., but owing to the death of his mother the same year (1846), his brothers returned to Kentucky. Thomas and Alexander did not remain there long, however, but soon returned to Missouri, and from there went West to California. J.E.M. Triplett purchased land in Carroll County, Mo., which he continued to tell until 1847, when he sold his property and once more returned to the State of his birth, where the death of his wife occurred March 19, 1847. After a very short time he went to Chicago, Ill., but in 1849 once more took up his residence in the State of Missouri and has since been a resident of Chariton County and one of her active, industrious and leading citizens.
In 1852 our subject purchased a tract of land, to which he subsequently added by purchase adjoining lands, upon which, at a later date, was laid out the village of Triplett. Here for many years he carried on farming and stock-raising, or until about eight years ago, when advancing years and infirmities warned him to cease from his labors, and he has since been a resident of the village of Triplett, where he has a comfortable home and enjoys a competency which his early efforts won for him. He still continues to manage seventy-five acres of land adjoining the village on the east, and he and his son William own one hundred and sixty acres in Idaho, and in the village of Tiplett a brick store building, five houses and forty vacant lots. Although he at one time owned about two thousand acres of land, he has sold some and divided a large portion among his children. The township of Triplett was named in his honor, and in 1868, when the present village of Triplett was laid off on a portion of his land, being surveyed by himself and L.A. Cunningham, it also received his name. Our subject has contributed more to the upbuilding of the town and surroundings than anyone else.
Before coming to Missouri Mr. Triplett held the office of County Judge of Franklin County, Ky., and for thirty-two years he discharged the duties of Justice of the Peace in the locality where he is now living. Having a taste for law, he was admitted to the Bar, after some preparation, in 1865, and has since practiced in the Court of Common Pleas and the justice courts of the vicinity ever since. Until 1862 he was a Whig in politics, but later became a Democrat, and was an active worker in that party's conventions until 1876, when he joined the Weaver party, since which time he has not taken a very active part in politics. In 1846 he was initiated into the mysteries of Masonry in Kentucky, joining Owen Lodge No. 328, of Owen County, Ky., but he is now a member of Dagon Lodge No. 374, of Mendon, Mo. He was first married in Kentucky, in 1843, to Miss Selina Eddins, who died March, 1847, and his second wife was Miss Frances Littrell, daughter of John W.D. Littrell, of Chariton County, Mo., whom he married in May, 1849. She died in 1852, leaving one child, Georgia A., wife of D.L. Wood, of Triplett. He married his present wife June 26, 1853, in Carroll County, Mo., her maiden name being Nancy Cawthron. She is a daughter of Asa Cawthron, and is a Kentuckian by birth. The children of this last marriage are: George W., of Texas; William, of Idaho, married; Martha, wife of S.F. Powell, of Texas; Emma; Benjamin F., married; and John A., married. The last two mentioned live on the old home farm near Triplett. The Cawthron family were from Virginia and of Scotch-Irish descent, the grandfather of Mrs. Triplett being Charles Cawthron, who died in Kentucky. Her father, Asa W. Cawthron, was born in the Old Dominion, January 1, 1796, but spent his boyhood days in Clark County, near Lexington, Ky. He was a soldier in the War of 1812, and at the time of Dudley's defeat was captured in Ohio by the British, and sent as a prisoner to Canada, where he was kept in captivity for over a year. He was exchanged at Quebec and sent home. He was soon afterward married to Miss Eliza Canote, of Kentucky, a German by descent, and in 1825 moved with his family to Howard County, Mo., where he engaged in tilling the soil. Three of the ten children born to him are now living. Alexander R. resides in Triplett; Harriet, wife of James Smart, resides in Carroll County, Mo.; and Nancy, Mrs. Triplett. Tyre died in Livingston County, in 1891, aged seventy-three years; the others were Martha, Elizabeth, Matilda, Eliza Ann, Emily and Araminta, all of whom were married. Mr. Cawthron was a Whig, but later became a Democrat, and was a member of the Baptist Church, in which faith he died in 1881, his wife having passed from life in 1864. Our subject has held office for fifty-four years of his life, and has never been under arrest nor has ever paid one cent of costs in a law suit. [Portrait And Biographical Record Of Clay, Ray, Carroll, Chariton And Linn Counties, Missouri Containing Biographical Sketches Of Prominent And Representative Citizens, Chicago: Chapman Bros.1893; Pages 119 - 120]
© Copyright by Genealogy Trails