Troy E. Lewis
Troy E. Lewis, a laborer at the Davis handle mills, was killed Friday, the 17th instant, while in charge of the bolting saw. He was preparing to replace the drive belt from the line shaft to the bolting saw and was at work at the belt near the shaft. His left hand was caught between the belt and this shaft, winding his arm around the shaft and whirling his body around it at the rate of 425 revolutions a minute. Both arms and both legs were broken in two places each, the right foot crushed, his head crushed on the left side and the right hand almost severed from the wrist. The accident occurred at 4:30 p.m and life departed at 6:20.
Troy E. Lewis, son of William and Nancy Lewis, was born in Christian county, Missouri, December 25, 1885, and so was 21 years, 7 months and 22 days old at the time of his death. The remains were laid to rest in Prospect cemetery, near Ozark, Sunday at 12 o'clock noon, a funeral service being conducted at the grave by T.J. Hanks of Ozark. Deceased leaves a father, mother and two brothers to mourn his departure. Mr. and Mrs. Lewis are the parents of eight children, of whom but two are living: James, 33 years old, who is working in the Frisco shops at Springfiled, and Roy 17, who lives with his parents near Bluff, in this county. The relatives of the deceased have the heartfelt sympathy of the entire community.
Source: The Taney County Repbulican, Forsyth, MO., Aug. 23, 1906
was born in Christian County, Missouri, October 12, 1866, where she grew to womanhood, and removed to Taney County with her parents in 1884. On November 8, 1886 she was united in marriage with James Burns, and to this union eleven children were born, nine of whom survive their mother, four boys and five girls. Mrs. Burns united with the Baptist church in 1903. She was one of the good christian women of the country, and was held in the highest esteem by all who had the pleasure of her acquaintance. She was a kind and loving wife and mother, and her death is mourned by a host of friends in this county. She was laid to rest in the Lone Pilgrim cemetery.
Source: The Taney County Republican, Forsyth, Mo, Oct. 19, 1911
BACK -- HOME