" A "
MARTIN J. AKER, an energetic and successful general agriculturist and stock-raiser of Clay County, and widely known throughout this portion of Missouri as one of the progressive and early pioneers, has for fifty-three years constantly resided upon his homestead located on section 11, township 53, range 33. An earnest, intelligent citizen, actively interested in the rapid development of the State and county, he has been associated with the advancement of local improvements, and is a ready aid in social, benevolent and religious enterprise.
Our subject was born in Bourbon County, Ky., January 22, 1814, and is the son of John and Mary (Sidener) Aker. John Aker was a man of native ability, and although he had only three months’ schooling improved himself by an extended course of excellent reading and became thoroughly versed in ancient history and well posted in the current events of the day. Born in Pennsylvania, he migrated with his parents to Kentucky, and for a number of years resided in an old fort, where the settlers sought protection from the Indians, and later, fitting himself for the work of life, learned the trade of a brick-mason.
In 1812 the father and mother of our subject were united in marriage, and in 1828 journeyed by wagon with their family and household effects to Missouri. The family located upon a piece of wild land in Clay County, within a few miles of the present homestead of Martin J. Aker. From this time the father devoted himself exclusively to general farming and stock-raising, and accumulated about five hundred acres of land. He died in 1835, leaving a widow and ten surviving children, two little ones having preceded him to a better land. The sons and daughters who arrived at mature age were Willie, deceased; Martin J., our subject; Jacob, deceased; Julia A., wife of John Baber; Charlotte, deceased, wife of Robert McMillin; Preston; Rosanna, wife of Adolphus Bainbridge; Susan, Mrs. Edwin Fry, deceased; Mary J., wife of Darius Bainbridge; and John, deceased. The mother of this family was born in Maryland in 1793, and when but eighteen months old was taken to Tennessee by her parents. Before the beginning of the present century she removed with her father and mother to Kentucky and the Indians having massacred some of the neighbors, they were obliged to live for some time in the old block-house or fort, which offered them refuge from the savages. She was a devout member of the Christian Church, and lived to reach the good old age of eighty-eight years.
The maternal grandparents of our subject were Martin and Margaret (Eddleton) Sidener, natives of Germany, who emigrated to America, and locating in Maryland were there married. Grandfather Sidener was frequently obliged to take an active part in the Indian warfare in Kentucky and Tennessee. The paternal grandparents, Joseph and Julia A. Aker, were also born in Germany. Married in the Fatherland, they early made their home in the United States and were both members of the Dutch Reformed Church. Grandfather Aker reached the extreme old age of ninety-six years and then died very suddenly from the “black plague.” One of his daughters, now over eighty years of age, still survives.
Martin J. Aker received a common-school education in the district schools of Kentucky and Clay County, Mo. He worked for his parents until twenty-one years old and then began for himself by farming upon a portion of the family homestead. He was married in 1838 to Miss Anna, a daughter of Lee and Susan (Penn) Rollins. At the time of his marriage he bought one hundred and forty acres of his present farm and has lived there for over half a century. An energetic, industrious and intelligent agriculturist, he has successfully engaged in farming and stock-raising, and possessing a large acquaintance within Clay and adjoining counties, enjoys the regard of a host of friends. He has accumulated three hundred and twenty acres of land and has an interest in the Farmers’ Bank at Smithville. Politically, he was a Whig before the war and is now an earnest advocate of the Democratic party.
Unto Mr. Aker and his excellent wife were born twelve children, two of whom died in infancy, and three who reached mature age have since passed away. The latter were Virginia, William D., and Julia, the wife of J. Hall. The surviving sons and daughters are: John; Susan, wife of Albert G. McKnight; Rosanna, wife of James R. Scott; Lee R.; Emma, wife of Dr. W. H. Louis; Anna, wife of Henry E. Woods; and Preston, Cashier of the Farmers’ Bank at Smithville. Lee Rollins, the father of Mrs. Aker, was born in Bourbon County, Ky., February 12, 1801, and his wife, who was also a native of the same county, was born in 1804. He was a farmer by occupation and in 1830 came to Clay County, where he resided until his death. He was a son of Joshua and Sophia (Kennedy) Rollins, natives of Virginia and early settlers of Kentucky. Sophia Kennedy was a daughter of John and Esther (Stille) Kennedy, old families of Virginia and Pennsylvania. While serving bravely in the Revolutionary War, John Kennedy was taken prisoner with a neighbor and died a short time afterward. His body was buried by the British in the sand on the sea shore, and his friend was not allowed to participate in his burial. His widow, traveling upon horseback, journeyed with her children to Kentucky. The mother of Mrs. Aker was a daughter of Joseph and Charlotte (Aker) Penn, all natives of Pennsylvania and descendants of the noted William Penn, and who emigrated to Kentucky before the Revolutionary War. Intimately associated with the history of our country, through the fidelity, courage and patriotism of his ancestors, our subject is himself a true, public-spirited American citizen and a worthy descendant of his energetic and self-reliant forefathers.
(Source: PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD of Clay, Ray, Carroll, Chariton and Linn Counties, Missouri, Page 314, Chicago:, CHAPMAN Bros., 1893. Transcribed by Genealogy Trails Transcription Team)
Allen, DeWitt Clinton, was born November 11, 1835, in Clay County, Missouri, son of Colonel Shubael Allen. He was but five years of age when his father died, and he came under the influence and training of his mother, a woman in every way fitted for the discharge of the duties devolved upon her. In 1850 he entered William Jewell College, from which he was graduated in 1855 with first honors. After his graduation he became principal of the preparatory department of the Masonic College, at Lexington, Missouri, and filled that position for a year with entire satisfaction to curators and patrons. Having determined upon the law as his profession, during the year following his connection with the Masonic College he devoted himself to those historical and special studies which are considered a proper introduction to the comprehensive study of that science, under the guidance of his friend, Colonel Alexander W. Doniphan, whose interest in him was ardent throughout his life. For nearly two years, ending in May, 1860, he read law in the office of Richard R. Rees, in Leavenworth, Kansas, and occasionally during that period he assisted his tutor in the trial of cases in order to acquire familiarity with the procedure in the courts. In May, 1860, he returned to Liberty and entered upon practice. In November following he was elected circuit attorney of the Fifth Judicial Circuit, comprising the counties of Clay, Clinton, Caldwell, Ray and Carroll, and discharged the duties of that office with ability and promptness until December 17, 1861, when he declined to take the oath testing the loyalty of officers, and retired. During the years 1866-7 he was general attorney of the Kansas City & Cameron Railroad Company, and in that position afforded efficient aid in securing its early completion. Mr. Allen has attained a high and honorable position at the bar, which he yet adorns. Dealing with the law as a science, and discerning the logical connection of its principles, he surveys the fields of legal lore with the clear, calm vision of a jurist. He is noted for the power of his analysis, the quickness of his perception of the most remote analogies, the fineness and delicacy of his distinctions, and the rapidity of his detection of inconsistencies in argument. In forensic conflict he brings into requisition the best materials of law and fact, and his positions are always clear, logical and concise. His voice is distinct and penetrating, and his rhetoric is faultless. When occasion demands, he ascends by easy gradation from the smooth, graceful and conversational style to a higher plane of oratory. His manner is earnest, and his ideas form in quick, unbroken succession, but his greatest power as a speaker is in the elevation of his sentiments and his rich and sparkling thoughts. Ringing tones, electric fire and aptly chosen words merely form their drapery. During court vacations he remains in his office, engaged in work or investigation. He deals with his clients with the utmost candor. A distinguishing characteristic is fidelity to his friends. He is possessed of a lofty sense of honor, and is bold and unyielding in defense of right. Fully recognizing the truth that of all men the reading and thought of the lawyer should be the most extended, he devotes his leisure to literary reading, but without allowing it to infringe upon his professional study or work. Surpassingly skillful as a writer, it is to be regretted that professional exactions have restricted his efforts to occasional contributions to the periodical press and a few addresses. His style is clear, logical, chaste and impassioned, abounding in poetic thought at once virile and charming. His thoughts are expressed with force and sententiousness, and never descend to an ignoble or profitless theme. A splendid piece of work from his pen was his "Sketch of the Life and Character of Colonel Alexander W. Doniphan," which he read on invitation before the Kansas City Bar Association, December 7, 1895, and which was published in the Kansas City "Bar Monthly," and afterward reprinted in pamphlet form. This was a real labor of love and an eloquent tribute to the noble man who was the lifetime friend of his panegyrist. On various occasions Mr. Allen has penned for the press historical and biographical matter of great interest, pertaining to Clay County and the adjacent region, and the use of his writings in the preparation of matter for the "Encyclopedia of the History of Missouri" is gratefully acknowledged. Mr. Allen is not connected with any church, but entertains a high respect for religion and its institutions, believing them to be needful to healthful, well-ordered society. With a lofty public spirit, he has ever been ready to aid in those movements which tend to increase the material happiness and promote the culture of the community. In politics ever a firm, consistent Jeffersonian Democrat, his ambition has been bounded by his firm conviction that faithful performance of the duty of the hour in one's chosen occupation, and in society, is the highest duty and privilege. He was elected presidential elector at large for Missouri in the election of 1896, and a member of the Constitutional Convention of 1875, which framed the now operative organic law of the State. He was elected without opposition, in connection with Honorable E. H. Norton, to represent the Third Senatorial District, comprising the counties of Clay, Clinton and Platte. In that body, composed of many of the most learned and able men in the State, he bore himself with ability, and won respect and confidence as an intelligent and indefatigable worker, his services on the committees on education and legislation being recognized as particularly meritorious. Mr. Allen was married, May 18, 1864, to Miss Emily E. Settle, born in Culpeper County, Virginia, daughter of Hiram P. Settle, of Ray County, Missouri. Born of this marriage were three children, Perry S.; Juliet, wife of Lyman H. Howard, and Lee Allen, who died November 4, 1897.
[Source: Encyclopedia of the History of Missouri Volume 1: Edited by Howard Louis Conard; Publ. 1901; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack]
Allen, John Marshall, physician, was born July 23, 1833, in Clay County, Missouri, son of Colonel Shubael Allen, a distinguished pioneer of northwestern Missouri. Reared in his native county, he began his education in the common schools and completed it at William Jewell College. In 1852 he began the study of medicine under the preceptorship of the accomplished Dr. Joseph M. Wood, then a practitioner at Liberty. The same year he entered the St. Louis Medical College, from which he was graduated in March, 1854. His talent and proficiency in his studies had won for him the regard and admiration of the faculty, and Dr. Charles A. Pope, the dean, urged him to apply for the position of physician at the St. Louis Hospital. While much gratified with this evidence of appreciation, Dr. Allen declined, preferring to enter upon general practice, and at once located at Claysville, Clay County. He was then four hundred dollars in debt, and his sole possessions were six dollars in money, a limited wardrobe, "Russell's Modern Europe," the "Lord's Prayer," and a few medical works. He made frank confession of his circumstances to Captain William Cummons, a genial Southern gentleman, noted for purity of character and kindly disposition, who proffered to take him into his home, trust him for his board and supply him with such funds as he might need. Colonel A. W. Doniphan, Edward M. Samuel and other friends also proffered assistance, but he gratefully declined all loans and began practice, relying solely upon his own efforts. He remained in Claysville for seven years, and became one of the leading physicians in that region, enjoying a large practice, which extended into Ray County. In 1861 he went to St. Louis to take a post-graduate medical course. Soon, however, occurred the first acts marking the conflict between the North and the South, and loyalty to his State impelled him to abandon his studies and go to Richmond, Missouri, where he organized a company of State Guards, of which he was elected captain. This company became a part of the regiment of Colonel Benjamin A. Rives, who was killed in action at Elk Horn. In May, 1861, Captain Allen was commissioned surgeon of this regiment, attached to the Fourth Division of the Missouri State Guard. Upon the expiration of the six months' term of enlistment he was one of seventeen men who voluntarily took an oath binding themselves to service "for forty years, or during the war," and this little company formed the nucleus for the Third Missouri Infantry Regiment, First Missouri Brigade, and Confederate States Army. In December, 1861, Captain Allen was commissioned surgeon of his regiment, and became brigade surgeon by seniority. While serving in this capacity he was placed in charge of the wounded from the bloody battle at Port Gibson, Mississippi, where his careful attention to the sufferers, the thoroughness of his hospital organization, and his punctual and accurate reports to his superiors, attracted the attention of General Joseph E. Johnston, who promoted him to the position of chief surgeon of the District of Mississippi and East Louisiana, attaching him to the staff of General Wirt Adams, and he served in this capacity until the close of the war. He participated in many of the great battles, including those of Wilson's Creek, Carthage, Dry Wood and Lexington, in Missouri; Elk Horn, in Arkansas; Corinth, Luka, Grand Gulf and Port Gibson, in Mississippi, and others of less importance. At all times, when not occupied with actual care of the wounded, Surgeon Allen ignored his rights as a non-combatant, and was found at the front in every engagement in which his regiment took a part, and from the beginning of the war until the end he was never absent from his command, even temporarily. He was discharged in May, 1865, at Gainesville, Alabama, and returning to Clay County, resumed practice at Liberty, which has since been his place of residence. Long and arduous service in his profession has given him a high place among the best of Missouri physicians. Regarding the practice of medicine as one of the noblest of callings, his constant effort has been to uplift its standards, and to aid in improving the attainments of practitioners. As early as .1856 he was active in the organization of the Clay County Medical Society, of which he was president at various times. In 1858 he became a member of the American Medical Association, and in 1899 he was elected its first vice president. He was an original member of the Kansas City District Medical Society, and became its first president. In 1868 he became a member of the Missouri State Medical Society, of which he was subsequently elected president; he was the first to urge the organization of a State Board of Health, by a resolution which he introduced in that body, and he has constantly maintained a zealous interest in its purposes and conduct. In 1878 he was appointed a special lecturer on diseases of the gastro-intestinal canal, before the medical department of the State University, and resigned the position in 1881 to take the chair of Principles and Practice of Medicine in the University Medical College of Kansas City. In 1887 he was elected president of the latter institution, and under his guidance its thirty students were increased to three hundred. Overburdened with labors, he resigned the presidency in 1898, but retained his professorship and is yet serving. For many years he has been a liberal contributor to the highest class of periodical medical literature, and has advanced many original views in relation to diseases of the gastrointestinal canal, a branch of medical science to which he has devoted much attention, and in which he is recognized not only as a practitioner of surpassing ability, but as pre-eminently a pioneer. He was a representative in the Missouri Legislature in the session of 1884-5, and was known as an intelligent and industrious member. Among notable measures which he originated was one for the establishment of a State Inebriate Asylum, and a funding bill regulating the sale of State bonds, which saved to the people many thousands of dollars. A gentleman of culture and education, he has been for many years an active member of the Liberty Literary Club, and has given much systematic study to literary subjects and to educational affairs. He was for more than twenty-five years a trustee of William Jewell College, and was largely instrumental in placing it upon a substantial basis when its condition was precarious. In recognition of his services, and of his literary and professional attainments, the college conferred upon him the degree of doctor of laws. He has been a lifelong advocate of temperance, and has been concerned in all temperance movements since 1848. He is a fluent and forceful public speaker, and his utterances command attention and respect. In business concerns he has been habitually successful, and he is numbered among the most successful of the men of affairs in the portion of the State in which he has so long resided. While careful in his transactions, he is scrupulously upright, as well as generous in his relations with his fellows, and liberal in his benefactions to all worthy public objects. With his mental powers at their best and a superb physique, he affords no evidence of age, while he is youthful in his cheery disposition and unaffected affability. Dr. Allen was married, April 15, 1866, to Miss Agnes McAlpine, daughter of William R. McAlpine, of Port Gibson, Mississippi. The living children born of the marriage are Shubael W. Allen, a very successful business man, now residing in Houston, Texas, and Malvina, a graduate of Liberty Ladies' College, residing at home. The second child, Marshall Allen, died in 1895. He was a young man of splendid attainments, and at the time of his death was just on the eve of completing his medical education at the University Medical College, Kansas City.
[Source: Encyclopedia of the History of Missouri Volume 1: Edited by Howard Louis Conard; Publ. 1901; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack.]
Allen, Shubael, one of the most distinguished of the pioneer settlers of Missouri, and conspicuous in the development of Clay County, was born February 27, 1793, near Goshen, Orange County, New York. His parents were Thomas and Bathsheba (Stoddard) Allen, both from English families long established in America. Colonel Shubael Allen was liberally educated, and was a civil engineer by profession. As early as 1816 he constructed a bridge over the Susquehanna River at Columbia, Pennsylvania; and in 1817 he constructed another over the Kentucky River at Frankfort, Kentucky; the latter was a one-span bridge, of wood, and its building in those days of meager mechanical appliances could only have been accomplished through unusual engineering skill. Late in 1817 he removed to St. Louis, Missouri, and the following year to Old Franklin, Howard County. In 1820, in company with Colonel John Thornton, whose wife's sister he subsequently married, he located in what is now Clay County, and made a farm in the Missouri River bottom at the western base of the bluffs at Liberty Landing, his property embracing a large portion of the contiguous hill region. This farm he made one of the most beautiful and romantic in the State, and his home was a place of interest to many distinguished travelers, among whom were military officers, statesmen and literateurs, who were entertained with lavish and unaffected hospitality. A large portion of this property has since been swept away by the ever changing river. While conducting his farm Colonel Allen also transacted a large business as a commission merchant. His warehouses were located at the western extremity of the bluffs, and the locality was known as Allen's Landing, which was, from 1826 to 1841, the main point of exit and entrance of nearly all the commerce and travel of northwest Missouri, having regular steamboat service to St. Louis. Allen's Landing was also for many years the starting point for many of the employees of the American Fur Company in their expeditions to the interior, and an outfitting point for French voyagers and emigrants, presenting an ever varying scene of activity and picturesqueness. A man of wonderful energy and industry Colonel Allen not only gave diligent attention to the improvement of his farm and the conduct of his mercantile business, but he assumed various public burdens. From 1826 to 1830 he was sheriff, and from 1831 to 1834 he was a justice of the County Court of Clay County.
These years covered an important period in the inauguration of civil order and the establishment of public institutions, and his duties were onerous and exacting. In no instance did he fail to perform unselfish service With signal ability and integrity, and his native dignity and decision of character gave him a peculiar exaltation in the estimation of a people whose conceptions of the position which he occupied, and of the type of man who could worthily fill them, were derived from the traditions of colonial days under English rule. Colonel Amen derived his military title from his service in command of the Clay County regiment of militia during the Black Hawk War, in 1832. He again commanded the Clay County troops (see "Clay County") during the "Heatherly War," in 1836. Included in the latter was the "Liberty Blues," famous for its discipline and the elegance of its equipments, as well as for the social position of its members; this company was commanded by Captain David R. Atchison, afterward United States Senator from Missouri. Colonel Allen was married, September 19, 1822, to Miss Dinah Ayres Trigg, daughter of the late General Stephen Trigg, of Howard County, originally from Virginia. Miss Trigg was a lady of great beauty and a brilliant conversationist. Her family probably originated in Cornwall, England, and came from Wales, near the year 1710, to Virginia, where it attained considerable distinction. Major John Trigg, paternal grandfather of Miss Trigg, was an artillery officer under Washington, and served at the siege of Yorktown. He was a member of the Virginia 'Convention of 1788, which ratified the Federal Constitution of 1787, and served therein with James Madison, Patrick Henry, George Mason and other men of great eminence; and was afterward a representative from Virginia in the Fifth, Sixth, Seventh and Eighth Congresses, and in and out of Congress was a strong opponent of the alien and sedition laws. Born to Colonel and Mrs. Allen were the following children: Elizabeth Bathsheba, who became the wife of the late General Alexander B. Dyer, U. S. A.; Trigg T., a druggist, of Liberty, Missouri; Eugene B., a business man at Leavenworth, Kansas; Shubael, who died in early manhood, at the beginning of a legal career which promised usefulness and distinction; Robert E., a merchant, who died in 1900; Augustus Evans, who died at the age of five years, and John M. and DeWitt C., both of Liberty, Missouri, the former a physician, and the latter a lawyer. Colonel Allen died January 18, 1841. In height and size he was beyond the medium. He was quick and energetic in movement, and his mental characteristics corresponded with the physical. Quick and accurate in his mental processes, action immediately followed decision. He was a born leader of men and possessed the faculty of commanding confidence without inviting it. An admirably equipped man of affairs, it was said of him that none could in the same time dispatch more business with greater precision, or with less discomfort to others or to himself. His firmness of purpose and absorption in business gave to his countenance a certain austerity, but this disappeared in social life, where his conversation was fluent, graceful and also with an indescribable charm peculiar to himself. His manners were dignified and courtly, but so unaffected as to be entirely becoming. His personal appearance, mental qualities and idiosyncrasies were chiefly the gifts of his mother. In public enterprises, benevolences and adjustment of business affairs he was liberal without ostentation. He was the first Clay and Webster Whig in northwest Missouri, and while not in any sense a politician, he took great interest in the success of his party, and was widely influential in its counsels in that part of the State.
[Source: Encyclopedia of the History of Missouri: Edited by Howard Louis Conard; Publ. 1901; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack.]
EUGENE B. ALLEN, ESQ.
Religious Activity in Missouri 1850-1861
Hon. D. C. Allen
Brother Eugene B. Allen died at Leavenworth, Kansas on January 26, 1913, and was buried in that cityís beautiful cemetery by the side of his wife and his daughter, Fannie.
He was a native of Clay County, Missouri, born on April 11, 1826, at Allenís Landing, owned by his father, three and a half miles south of Liberty. His father was the late Col. Shubael Allen, of that county. His mother was Miss Dinah Ayres Trigg. The father and mother were married in Howard County, Missouri, on September 19, 1822. The father had settled in Clay County on May 10, 1820. Brother Allen had a sister, Elizabeth Bathsheba, who married Lieutenant, (afterwards, General) Alexander B. Dyer, U. S. A. He had six brothers, Trigg T., Shubael, Jr., Robert E., Augustus E., John M. and D. C. Allen. Of his sister and brothers only D. C. Allen remains alive.
Brother Allen received the education of the schools of Clay County until his sixteenth year. Among his teachers was the father of the late Dr. E. H. Gregory of St. Louis, Mo. This education he supplemented by reading. During his entire life he was much given to reading, judiciously, in his leisure hours, and he thereby made of himself a very intelligent man.
In his sixteenth year he obtained a position as clerk in the mercantile house in Liberty, Missouri, of Melone and Edwards, a firm composed of Clinton Melone and Presley N. Edwards. He remained in mercantile pursuits until hin the spring of 1858, when, with the late Webster M. Samuel, he removed from Liberty, Missouri to St. Louis, Missouri, and there, with Mr. Samuel, established the commission house of Samuel & Allen. A large part of the motive for this, perhaps, much the larger, was to handle the immense freightage of Russell, Majors & Waddell. The firm of Samuel & Allen ceased in 1861, and Brother Allen removed to Leavenworth, having become one of the assignees of Russell, Majors & Waddell.
After the conclusion of the Civil War, and some years later, Brother Allen was engaged in the business of banking in Webb City and St. Louis, Missouri. Among his occupations, during quite a number of years, in and since the Civil War, was that of freighting for the United States Government. In this heavy losses occurred for which the government was responsible, and at his death, he left a large claim against the government, now in process of settlement.
Brother Allen was married in Richmond, Missouri, October 3, 1848, to Miss Harriet E. Morehead, a daughter of the late Charles R. Morehead, Sr., then of Richmond, Missouri. She had just completed her education at a female institute in Liberty, Missouri, under the superintendence of Mrs. Hannah O. Cunningham, a very noted teacher of that day. Miss Morehead was accepted as one of the most beautiful girls in Missouri. She preceded Brother Allen in death a number of years. They had three children, Fannie, Lizzie and Katie. Fannie married Samuel E. Hoffman, Esq., now of St. Louis, Missouri, and with their only child, died a few years later. Katie married a Mr. Nicholls, of Pennsylvania, and died without issue surviving her. Lizzie died in infancy. So Brother Allen died leaving no lineal heirs.
Brother Allen was of a Baptist family. His mother became a member, by profession and baptism, of the Second Baptist Church in Liberty, Missouri, in 1844. Both his paternal and maternal grandfathers and grandmothers were Baptists. He was converted to religion and joined his motherís church in 1850. This was, perhaps, under the ministry of the late Dr. E. S. Dulin. His wife was a member of the Baptist Church at her marriage with Brother Allen. She was a grand-daughter of the late John Warder of Lafayette County, Missouri, who was one of the pioneer, primitive Baptist preachers of Missouri, and a man noted for his piety and devotion to his religious work.
From Brother Allenís union with the church, he was, during the residue of his life, a most faithful, believing, earnest Christian man, prompt and unvarying in the discharge of his religious duties. In this, he was most affectionately aided by his devoted wife.
Brother Allen was from a short period after his union with the church, until his removal to St. Louis in 1858, a trustee of William Jewell College and Secretary of its Board of Trustees, and at the same time, clerk of the Second Baptist Church in Liberty. He was ever a most devoted friend of William Jewell College. In 1849, when the successful effort was made in Clay County to secure the location of that institution in Liberty, he was a ost liberal giver to the college endowment. He gave, in accordance with his means, to Baptist as well as to all charitable purposes.
Brother Allen wherever known, was held in the highest esteem as a man and Christian. He was an exact, energetic, able business man, always having the full confidence of those in touch with him. In manners, he was refined and elegant. His speech was remarkable for its respect and gentleness. No one came in contact with him in business, society or the life of his own home, without becoming conscious of the fact that he had a personal charm and was a gentleman of the highest principles.
(Source: Missouri Baptist Biography A Series of Life-Sketches Indicating the Growth and Prosperity of the Baptist Churches As Represented in the Lives and Labors of Eminent Men and Women in Missouri Prepared at the Request of the Missouri Baptist Historical Society by J. C. Maple A.M., D.D. and R. P. Rider, A.M. Volume III; Published for The Missouri Baptist Historical Society, Liberty, Missouri by Schooley Stationery and Printing Co, Kansas City, Missouri (1918) transcribed by Mary Saggio)