A. S. BAXTER
A.S. Baxter, of Garfield county, pleasantly located on a good ranch in the neighborhood of Glenwood Springs, although born on a day of the month fateful in our history and pregnant with the genesis of bloody strife and battle over political questions on two occasions, has been a man of peace and productive usefulness and is now enjoying the fruits of his labors in even greater peace than that in which he won them. His life began on April 19, 1861, in Clay county, Missouri, and he is the son of James and Kate (Hickman) Baxter, natives of Kentucky who located in Missouri in the early days of its history. The father was a farmer, especially during the later years of his life. He was an ardent Democrat in politics and a great lover of law and order; and he was therefore called upon to serve the people of his county for many years as deputy sheriff and sheriff. He died in 1884, and the mother is living at Glenwood Springs. Eight of their ten children are living: William, at Newcastle; George, on Piccance creek, Rio Blanco county; Ella, wife of James Siebert; A.S., of this sketch; Fannie, wife of William Lunning, of Red Bluff, California; Sallie, wife of G. W. Talkenbaugh, of near Rifle; Wallace, at Rifle; and Kate, at Glenwood Springs. Mr. Baxter received a very limited common-school education, at the age of ten beginning to aid his parents on the farm, and at seventeen starting out for himself. In 1877 he went to California with his mother, and after remaining in that state six years came to Colorado in 1883. He took up a squatter’s right on Canyon creek, and after the government survey was made he pre-empted it. The claim comprised one hundred and sixty acres, and after making some improvements on the property he sold it for a good price in 1900, at which time he bought a part of the ranch which is now his home. This also comprised one hundred and sixty acres and is located near Glenwood Springs. He has added give hundred and twenty acres on Canyon creek to his original purchase, and of the whole tract which he now owns he can cultivate three hundred acres, which yield hay, grain and vegetables of excellent quality in abundance, and a desirable quantity of small fruits. His water right is the second on the creek and is ample for his purposes. In addition to ranching Mr. Baxter has, during the last eighteen years, acted as a guide throughout several of the western states, and has won a high rank and wide reputation as a leader of hunting parties, his outfit for the work being one of the best. It comprises eighty-five pack animals and twenty-one hounds. He is a Woodman of the World in fraternal circles and an ardent and active Democrat in political affairs. On June 27, 1886, he was married to Miss Mary Harbin, a native of California and daughter of Alfred and Addline (Peevey) Harbin, who were born in Kentucky. Mr. and Mrs. Baxter have one child, Thomas A. Baxter, who is living at home.
(Source: Progressive Men of Western Colorado, Publ 1905. Transcribed by Anna Parks)
REV. WILLIAM FROST BISHOP. The subject of this notice is a young man of eloquence and power in the pulpit, a pastor imbued with zeal, and a friend to all who have need of sympathy and aid. His sermons abound in convincing truths, uttered with great earnestness; his logic is perspicuous, his oratory captivating, and his popularity widespread. The Presbyterian Church at Liberty, of which he is pastor, is fortunate in securing the services of a minister so talented and faithful.
Born in Petersburgh, Va., October 2, 1853, our subject is the son of Carter A. and Mary E. (Head) Bishop. Carter Bishop, a native of Virginia, was prominent in the banking circles of the State, having filled the position of Cashier in some of the leading banks, and was also identified with the leading business enterprises. He was the son of Edward Bishop, a native of England and a planter in Prince George County, Va. The mother of our subject was the only child of Abel Head, who was born in Rhode Island, but was taken to Petersburgh in infancy. Mr. Head was an active and prominent business man, of great probity and unblemished reputation, and was the owner of considerable property. For nearly half a century he was an Elder in the Presbyterian Church, and his labors in that denomination were untiring. Strict in Sabbath observance, firm in his allegiance to the Westminster creed, and unyielding in his views of right, he passed his days, wronging no man, but seeking to do what was right in all things.
Our subject is the third of five children, viz.: Abel H., a civil engineer in Virginia; Carter R., an educator at Owensboro, Ky., for ten years, now holding the position formerly occupied by his father as Cashier in a Petersburgh bank; Rev. William F., our subject; Mary E., wife of Rev. Joseph A. Smith, pastor of a Presbyterian Church at Baltimore, Md.; and Charles E., a graduate of the University of Virginia, and also of that at Leipsic, Germany, which he attended for four years, taking the degree of Ph. D.
Under the tuition of W. Gordon McCabe, a celebrated educator of Petersburgh, our subject made commendable progress in his studies during boyhood. Afterward he entered Hampden Sidney College, a famous Virginia institution, and took the honors of his class, receiving the degree of A. M. He then became a student in the Union Theological Seminary in Prince Edward County, Va., from which he was graduated in 1873. Following this he crossed the ocean to Scotland and entered the University of Edinburgh, graduating in English literature and church history. Thence he proceeded to Germany and took the theological course in the University of Jena. Returning to the United States, he was married in 1877 to Miss Leonora, daughter of LeRoy and Emily A. (Bartlett) Roper. Her father was a native of Virginia, was a prominent business man of Petersburgh, and an extensive dealer and operator in tobacco in the various markets. Her mother was a lineal descendant of Nathaniel Bartlett, one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence.
After his marriage our subject was pastor of the Presbyterian Church at Ashland, Va., for seven years; then served as pastor for four years at Kansas City, Mo., and since September, 1891, has been pastor of the church at Liberty. Mr. and Mrs. Bishop are the parents of four children, viz.: Carter R., Bartlett R., Judith Joyce and Henry Roper.
[Source: PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD of Clay, Ray, Carroll, Chariton and Linn Counties, Missouri. Submitted by FOGT]
S. E. BRECKENRIDGE, an enterprising and prosperous general agriculturist and stock-raiser, widely known and highly respected as a useful and energetic citizen, and now residing on section 31, township 53, range 32, Clay County, was born in Bourbon County, Ky., in 1828, and the following year was brought by his parents to Clay County. This portion of the State has since been his life-time home, with the exception of a few adventurous years passed in the Far West. Our subject is the son of Edlyn and Eleanor (Duncan) Breckenridge, natives of Virginia, who early removed with their parents to Kentucky. Edlyn Breckenridge was born December 7, 1788, and the birth of his wife occurred January 17, 1795. The paternal grandparents were Alexander and Magdalene (Gamble) Breckenridge, who were born May 16, 1743, and January 10, 1746 respectively. They were both probably natives of Virginia, and of Scotch-Irish-German descent, and were united in marriage October 6, 1767. Alexander Breckenridge was a prominent planter of Virginia, and a man of position and influence.
Edlyn Breckenridge received a good education for that early day, and patriotically began life for himself by entering the War of 1812, under Gen. Harrison. After the war he devoted himself to agricultural duties, and was numbered among the wealthy farmers of Kentucky, but lost a large part of his property by becoming security for others. In 1829, he emigrated with his family to Clay County, arriving in his new home October 29. He entered five hundred acres of land a few miles south of where our subject now lives, and for a time was greatly prospered, but losing through the dishonesty of others, was financially involved and obliged to part with his valuable homestead. Energetic and resolute, he began again, and soon was able to purchase a portion of the farm where our subject now lives. Politically, Edlyn Breckenridge belonged to the old Whig party. He and his wife were both members of the Christian Church. Twelve children blessed their union: Alexander and Elizabeth, deceased; James, Robert, Sarah, S. E., Mary A., Eleanor, Matthew D., John (deceased), and two who died in childhood.
After the marriage of our subject, his parents made their home with him until their death. Mr. Breckenridge remained upon the old homestead until he attained his majority, and early enjoyed the advantage of instruction in the district schools of Clay County. In 1850, with a brother and two companions, he crossed the plains to California, traveling by ox-teams and spending one hundred and four days en route. The party first located in Hangtown, or Placerville, and then went to the Middles Park of the American River, where our subject engaged in gold-mining. After the experience of a year and a-half, he returned by water to Missouri, crossing the Isthmus at Panama, and thence to New Orleans, and by rail home. His adventures in the West only made him more desirous of enjoying a second trip, and in 1853 he was again en route for the Pacific Coast, but this time bound for Oregon. He was absent three years from his home, and returned by water to New York, and thence to Missouri, where he resumed farming duties.
April 15, 1858, Mr. Breckenridge was united in marriage with Miss Nancy J. Smith, daughter of Ephraim and Elizabeth (Duncan) Smith, and to the husband and wife were born eight children, two of whom died in infancy. Ann E. (deceased), was born in 1860, and became the wife of Edlyn Breckenridge, a cousin; Ella, Mrs. William Asher, was born March 18, 1866; Ephraim (deceased) was born April 13, 1868; Sarah F. (deceased) was born March 12, 1872; Mattie L. was born January 16, 1874; and Ora, March 22, 1877. After the marriage of our subject, he remained upon his father’s farm, and now owns two hundred acres of excellent land, which he has brought to a high state of cultivation. Fraternally, Mr. Breckenridge is connected with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and is a valued member of the lodge at Smithville. Politically, he is a Democrat, but never an office-seeker, simply desiring to do is full duty at the polls as becomes every true American citizen. He and his estimable wife and family are highly respected and enjoy the regard of a large circle of friends.
(Source: PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD of Clay, Ray, Carroll, Chariton and Linn Counties, Missouri. Transcribed by a Friend of Genealogy Trails)