T. A. DE BERRY, the popular and enterprising druggist, prominent business man and leading citizen of Smithville, Clay County, Mo., is a native of the State and was born upon his father’s farm in Platte County, January 28, 1859. Our subject is the son of John L. and Mary (Adams) De Berry, the father being a native of Kentucky, and the mother of Tennessee. John L. De Berry was reared upon a Kentucky farm, and remained with his parents until he had attained to manhood. He received his education in the common schools of Kentucky, and was married, at about the age of thirty years, to the daughter of James and Sarah (Bernard) Adams. He had previously purchased in Robinson County, Tenn., two or three hundred acres of land, and there he and his wife located, remaining until they came to Platte County, in 1839, where they settled upon Government land, which Mr. De Berry bought and added to until he owned four hundred and twenty acres at one time. Mr. John De Berry was in early life a Whig, and later a Democrat. Fraternally, he was a member of the Ancient Free & Accepted Masons.
The children who clustered about the hearth of the old homestead were twelve in number, and one who passed away at the age of sixteen was the only one of the family who did not live to mature age. Angus J. was the eldest-born; then follow James A.; William L., deceased; John F.; Edward; Thomas A.; Mary C., wife of Thomas L. Turner; Almyra, wife of James M. Darnell; Alwilda, deceased, wife of W. R. Brassfield; Cornelia, wife of C. T. Henson; and Lula, wife of Dr. R. W. Rea. The father of these brothers and sisters died in June, 1868, his wife surviving until November, 1888. Our subject remained with his mother until he was eighteen years of age, and enjoyed excellent educational advantages, attending a thorough course of instruction in William Jewell College at Liberty. In his nineteenth year he went to Colorado, and spent his time in the mining country until 1880, when he returned to Smithville, and became a clerk in the drug store of W. R. Brassfield. He remained here engaged with various parties until, in 1888, he went to Cass County, Mo., and in Gun City entered into the drug business for himself.
The following year Mr. De Berry sold out his drug store in Gun city and went to Carroll County, Mo., but in the same fall, 1889, came again to Smithville, and bought his present prosperous business. His commodious store is attractively arranged, and our subject carries a full line of stationery, toilet goods and drugs, his stock being worth fully $2,500. Fraternally, Mr. De Berry is a valued member of Lodge No. 438, A. F. & A. M.; a member of Lodge No. 21, R. A. M., and Belt Commandery No. 9, of Platte City; he is also a member of Lodge No. 289, I. O. O. F. Yet a young man in the early prime of usefulness, our subject is estimated among the substantial business men of Clay County, and takes a deep interest in local progress and advancement. He is ever ready to assist in the promotion of social and benevolent enterprise, and is widely known as a representative and public-spirited citizen.
(Source: PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD of Clay, Ray, Carroll, Chariton and Linn Counties, Missouri. Transcribed by a Friend of Genealogy Trails)
O'Fallon Dougherty; None of the pioneer tillers of the soil has made a more enviable record in Clay County, or gained, from more than three-quarters of a century of residence, a higher reputation among his fellow citizens than has O 'Fallon Dougherty, who for some years has lived in quiet retirement at his home at Liberty. Mr. Dougherty was born at the City of St. Louis. Missouri, June 5, 1832, and is a son of Maj. John Dougherty, than whom there is no better known figure in the history of this part of the state. Maj. John Dougherty was born in Nelson County, Kentucky, April 12, 1791 and first came to the West in 1808, a strapping youth of seventeen years. Stopping at St. Louis, he secured employment with the American Fur Company, then operating in this region, and under Larpy, Chouteau, Picot and others made frequent trips in search of game. In that same year he went to the mountains and spent seven years, and while in Oregon six years he never tasted bread. He passed one year on the Columbia River and returned home by way of what is now Salt Lake and the Big Platte River. On this trip he was a member of the second expedition of Lewis and Clark. Major Dougherty was married at St. Louis, November 13, 1823, to Miss Mary Hertzog, a native of Philadelphia, and soon thereafter located at Fort Leavenworth, the bridal trip of the couple being to Council Bluffs, Iowa, a journey which required three months.
Mrs. Dougherty died at Philadelphia, while on a visit to her daughter, March 27, 1873, when she was seventy-four years of age. In 1820 Major Dougherty was appointed Indian agent, and in that capacity served until 1830 at Fort Leavenworth. In the latter year he returned to St. Louis, where he was stationed for three years, and then went to Council Bluffs, Iowa, and later to Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, where he remained until 1837. That year saw his advent in Clay County, when he began fanning seven and one-half miles northwest of Liberty, at Multnomah, on what is known as Dougherty's Prairie. In 1853-54 Major Dougherty built a large colonial homestead which would have done justice to any southern state. This mansion he named Multnomah, after a river in Oregon where he had formerly camped in his early expedition in the far west. The house contained eight rooms, 18 by 20 feet square, and two large halls, 20 by 40 feet long. For years this was the social center of Northwest Missouri. The lumber for the structure was brought by boat from St. Louis and hauled by ox team from Liberty Landing. The stately mansion, with its tall Ionic columns, was the home of the Dougherty’s until they moved to Liberty in 1881. Mrs. Dougherty owned one of the first pianos brought west of the Mississippi River. She was an accomplished pianist.
Major Dougherty became largely successful in his business ventures, owning some five thousand acres of land, all of which, however, did not lie within the confines of Clay County. He took an active and interested part in the affairs of his community, and represented Clay County in the Legislature with General Doniphan and William Wood. Major Dougherty was a man of commanding presence, finely built physically and over six feet tall, and had great influence with the Indians from Missouri to the Columbia River, and through him many treaties were made between the Indians and the whites. In addition to French and English he spoke seven Indian dialects, and because of his supervision of the Government stores, the Indians gave him a name which translated into English meant "Controller of Fire Water."
Major Dougherty died on his farm, December 28, 1860, highly respected and esteemed by his entire community. His was a career the incidents of which would fill several volumes and make the most interesting reading. At one time he owned a herd of twenty-three buffaloes, which he allowed to run on his farm, and once, when they shed their hair, he had the wool carded and spun into yarn, from which Mrs. Dougherty knit a pair of socks and mittens, which were sent to Henry Clay, of whom Major Dougherty was a great admirer and from whom he received a letter of appreciation and thanks. The first buffalo cow he ever owned was given him by an Indian chief, who had captured it in a snowstorm, being very weak from exhaustion. Mrs. Dougherty fed it with a spoon, then with a bottle. It was the only one of the herd that was gentle enough to be approached and that by Major Dougherty only. In speaking of this sturdy pioneer and frontiersman it may not be inappropriate to give a brief history of his famous horse, "Leon," which was foaled in 1843 and died in 1875, aged thirty-two years. His dam was given to Major Dougherty by an Otoe Indian; his sire was a roan copper bottom saddle horse; his grandsire on his dam's side was said to have been a wild horse captured and used by the Otoe’s. He was a pale dun pony built and brown muzzled, and was a fast pacer. In 1846 Major Dougherty gave the horse to his daughter, who was accompanying her husband. Lieut.-Col. C. F. Ruff, whose regiment was ordered to New Mexico, and Mr. Ruff's servant, Benjamin, rode him. The Ruffs did not long remain in New Mexico, however, Colonel Ruff having been appointed captain of a rifle regiment, U. S. A., and they brought the horse back to Major Dougherty's farm. He was then ridden back and forth between Liberty and the farm by O'Fallon Dougherty, who was then attending William Jewell College at Liberty. In 1848 Captain Ruff was in command of Fort Kearney, on the Platte River, and in the following year his regiment was ordered to Oregon.
Early in that spring, Lewis Dougherty started to the front with goods for the sutler's store. When within eighty miles of the fort at Pawnee Village he received notice to hurry the horse, as the Ruffs were to leave immediately for Oregon, and early the next morning Lewis Dougherty mounted the horse and rode the eighty miles to the fort, sitting down to supper with the Ruffs, although the trip was anything but an easy one, on account of the mud. Two days later the Ruffs started for Oregon, taking the horse with them. Some time within a year after reaching Oregon, an opportunity presented itself by which the horse could be returned to Missouri. A Mr. Wilson, who had been a merchant at Liberty, was returning overland and offered to bring the horse to Major Dougherty, and on the route the animal was packed with the party's mess kit. The kettles and cans finally made such a "racket" that the horse ran away, fell over a bank and injured an eye. He was above being made a packhorse and accordingly was ridden the balance of the journey and duly returned to Major Dougherty, who kept him and used him as his favorite saddle horse during the remainder of his life, and after the major's death 0'Fallon Dougherty loaned the horse to a neighbor, who rode him for some time.
Colonel Ruff was later ordered to return from Oregon to Fort Leavenworth. At this time his wife wished to visit relatives in Philadelphia, and to save her and her two children from the hardships and dangers of a long overland journey by ox and mule-trains, he sent them by boat by way of Panama. Mrs. Ruff crossed the Isthmus of Panama on a burro, while her two children were carried on the backs of natives in wicker chairs. The mother did not see her children from the time the natives trotted off with them in the morning till nightfall. Mr. Dougherty still has the two chairs. This primitive method of transportation is in striking contrast to that afforded by the recently-constructed canal.
Four children were born to Major and Mrs. Dougherty: Capt. Lewis B., born at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, December 7, 1828, the first white child born in Kansas, and the oldest living at this time, being a retired resident of Liberty, Missouri, and a veteran of the Civil war, having been a member of the Second Missouri Regiment, Confederate Army; Annie Elizabeth, born August 29, 1824, in Council Bluffs, Iowa, became the wife of Gen. C. F. Ruff, U. S. A., and died at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, July 11, 1909; O'Fallon, mentioned below, and John K., born February 6, 1835, at St. Louis, the youngest of the family, who enlisted in the Second Missouri Regiment, Confederate Army, and met his death at the sanguinary battle of Franklin, Tennessee.
0'Fallon Dougherty was five years of age when his father removed to the farm near Liberty, Missouri, and there he grew to manhood, securing his education in the early country schools, in which the benches were split logs with four crude and often unsteady legs and without any back. Subsequently he attended William Jewell College, at Liberty, when the school was held in the basement of the old Baptist church, before the new building was completed, and after completing his education returned to the homestead and continued to assist his father in his operations until the latter's death. At that time the heirs of the estate each received in the neighborhood of twelve hundred acres of land, 0'Fallon Dougherty's share being 1,160 acres, which he improved and farmed. Under his eye there have been wrought many changes in this part of Northwest Missouri. He can well remember using the old wooden mold board plows and later the cast iron implements that could not be scoured. The old pioneer home was a log cabin, chinked with rock and then plastered with a coarse mortar.
In Mr. Dougherty's possession are a number of old and very interesting relics of this state and others, including an old mahogany desk taken from Santa Anna's palace by a sergeant of Colonel Ruff's, his brother-in-law (in the desk was found the funeral notice of Santa Anna's wife, dated Mexico City, August 24, 1844) ; a wooden mold board of a plow used by his father in 1840; one of the pack saddles used on the Lewis and Clark expedition of which his father was a member; knives and beadwork fashioned by the early Indians; bears' claws, and a number of other old and interesting curiosities of pioneer times.
For many years Mr. Dougherty was largely engaged in farming and raising and breeding Galloway cattle, but in 1881 disposed of his farming interests and moved to Liberty, where he has since lived in quiet retirement. He has various large holdings in business and financial enterprises and has been a director and heavy stockholder in the Commercial Bank of Liberty since its organization in 1867. For a number of years a Whig and later a democrat, he is now a stanch supporter of the prohibition cause. The first vote he ever cast was for Henry Clay. He has been a lifelong member of the Baptist Church, as was also his wife.
On November 30, 1866, Mr. Dougherty was married to Miss Sarah Lucinda Nutter, who was born in Clay County, Missouri, one mile east of the old Dougherty homestead, December 21, 1844, and died December 13, 1911. She was a daughter of James and Eliza M. (Adkins) Nutter, natives of Kentucky, who came to Clay County, Missouri, in an early day. Mr. Dougherty speaks of his wife's mother as a most remarkable woman. She had first four children by her first marriage, and then married a widower with nine children, by whom she had four children more. She belonged to the large, strong, pioneer type, and Mr. Dougherty says that he can never remember seeing her when she was not busy. Four children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Dougherty, namely: Kerr Clifton, who is deceased; Mary Eliza, also deceased; Katie, born April 12, 1870, married March 27, 1889, Charles W. Moore, who was born February 21, 1866,. in Lowndes County, Alabama, has no children and resides at Kansas City, Missouri; and Mary Hertzog, born August 22, 1873, married September 10, 1901, Harry Jerome Alexander, born at Aurora, Illinois, June 23, 1873, a buyer for a Kansas City firm, lives with Mr. Dougherty, and has two children: Jerome Dougherty, born August 4, 1904; and Mary Lucinda, born March 24, 1908.
[ A History of Northwest Missouri, Volume 2; edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1918; Donated and Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack.]
STEPHEN C. DUNCAN is an energetic and enterprising citizen of Clay County, Mo., and widely known as one of the early pioneers of the State. In the handling and shipping of valuable Shorthorn cattle of a superior grade and quality, he has owned some of the finest imported stock ever brought into the country. His fine farm, located upon section 1, township 53, range 33, and under a high state of improvement, contains an immense acreage, and is mainly devoted to the feeding and care of the stock, which invariably yields excellent returns for the money invested. Mr. Duncan was born December 15, 1833, in Henry County, Ky. His parents were Stephen and Lucy (Browning) Duncan, both natives of Bourbon County, where the father was born October 17, 1797, and the mother several years later. The father, who had remained with his parents until his marriage, shortly after removed to Saline County, Mo., and in 1838 bought an improved farm of three hundred and twenty acres and in December, 1840, came to Clay County, settling on a farm a few miles south of Smithville. This farm consisted of six hundred and sixty-six acres, one hundred and ninety acres being at the time of purchase well improved. Upon this homestead Stephen Duncan, Sr., continued to reside for fifteen years, then he located in Clinton County, Mo., where he died April 6, 1877.
Throughout his entire life, the career of Stephen Duncan was characterized by energy and sterling integrity, and to quote the words of those who knew him well, “his word was as good as his bond.” He was a valued member of the Christian Church, and fraternally was connected with the Ancient Free & Accepted Masons. Before the war, he was an ardent Whig but in later years strongly supported the Democratic party. He was twice married and unto him and his first wife were born seven children: Thaddeus C. S., deceased; James W.; Sarah E., who has been thrice married, first to William Lynch, then to Mr. Williams and now the widow of Mr. Tuggle; Lucy twice married, her first husband Matthew Duncan, her second Lloyd Browning; John S., deceased; Stephen C., our subject; Mary., deceased, wife of John W. Brenham. The mother of our subject died and was buried in Saline County, and in 1839 the father married Nancy Nicholson, a daughter of John Nicholson, and to them were born eleven sons and daughters, five of whom lived to attain their majority: Henry C.; Pembroke S.; Mattie, deceased wife of Joseph Glossip; Benjamin M. and Nannie. Father Duncan buried his second wife in April, 1875. The paternal grandfather, James Duncan, was a native of Culpeper County, Va., where he grew up to manhood and married Miss Strode. Farming was the occupation of his life and he owned a two hundred and forty acres farm in Kentucky, to which he removed in a very early day. He was a man of resolute energy and actively participated in the War of 1812.
Our subject received his education in the private schools of Clay County and remained at home until he was twenty-two years of age, when he entered into partnership with his father in the purchase of Shorthorn cattle. In 1863, he decided to withdraw from the partnership and has since conducted the same line of business alone. March 5, 1863, Mr. Duncan was united in marriage with Mary E. Davenport, a daughter of Rice B. and Rebecca (Winn) Davenport. This estimable lady died September 10, 1868, leaving no children. She was a member of the Christian Church and was highly respected. November 10, 1870, our subject was married to Miss Maria Winn, a daughter of James and Malinda (Hutsell) Winn. Mrs. Duncan was born in Clinton County, Mo., and received her education in the Camden Point High School of Platte County. Her parents were natives of Bourbon County, Ky., and came to Missouri in 1825. Three daughters blessed this second union; Lucy wife of John W. Spratt; Mattie and Mabel. These attractive young ladies were educated at Christian College in Columbia Mo., and, finely accomplished, are great social favorites. Mr. Duncan joined the Christian Church in 1854, and he and his family are regular attendants and active in the good work of that religious organization. Our subject has reached the degree of Master Mason and has been long connected with the order, being a member of Acacia Lodge No. 289.
Politically our subject is a Democrat and actively interested in the local and national management of positions of influence and power. An independent, self-reliant and enterprising man, Mr. Duncan has unaided won success in live. Refusing all assistance from his father, and not even receiving the portion of the estate which he could have claimed, he has steadily prospered and on the 25th of November, 1865, moved upon his present farm, then containing four hundred and eighteen acres, but which has extended its limits, now embracing twelve hundred and forty-three acres. Our subject also has valuable farming property in Kansas, in all fourteen hundred acres in the western part of this latter State. Having achieved a comfortable competence and being blessed with an abundance of this world’s goods, Mr. Duncan generously shares his prosperity with others and is widely known as a liberal and public-spirited citizen.
(Source: PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD of Clay, Ray, Carroll, Chariton and Linn Counties, Missouri. Transcribed by a Friend of Genealogy Trails)