For more than twenty-five years Mr. Hardwicke has been engaged in active practice of the legal profession at Liberty and in the courts of Missouri. A man of thorough education, and for a time a teacher of the classics, he subsequently qualified for the Bar by a regular and exhaustive course of study under Judge Norton (then one of the leading practicing lawyers of West Missouri, and since 1876 a distinguished member of the Supreme Court). He entered upon his career as an attorney at Liberty immediately following his admission in 1857, with every prospect of a successful and honorable future. Nor has his record in the practice disappointed the just expectations that were formed of him in the beginning. For years he has held a prominent position among the leading attorneys of his judicial circuit, and he has long been recognized as one of the first lawyers in point of ability and success at the Liberty Bar.
Close habits of studiousness have always been one of the most prominent characteristics of Mr. Hardwicke, and while he is thoroughly wedded to his profession, and a constant student of the science of law, by which he has become one of the best-read lawyers in this part of the State, he has at the same time found leisure to gratify his taste for general literature and the classics. His knowledge of the law and his judgment upon legal questions command respectful consideration from the Court and the Bar wherever his duties call him, while his culture, eloquence and ability as an advocate, and his integrity, professionally and in private life, are recognized by all. Though an active, successful attorney, he is a man of unusually quiet manners, and of retiring disposition, more given to the study of his books and to reflection than to the enjoyment of society or the pleasure of conversation. He has a fine law library, where his time is usually spent when not in the court-room or at home with his family. His library is by far the best in the county, and one of the best in the circuit.
Samuel Hardwicke was born in Clay County, Mo., September 3, 1833. His father was Capt. Philip Allen Hardwicke, from Brooks County, Va., and his mother, Miss Margaret (usually called Peggy) Gregg, was born in Tennessee, but was reared in Howard County, Mo. She was the daughter of Harmon Gregg, whom Gen A. W. Doniphan pronounced one of the strongest men in native intellect he ever met. Her brother, Josiah Gregg, was distinguished in science and as an author. Mrs. Hardwicke accompanied her parents to this State in childhood, and for a time they lived in Cooper’s Fort for protection against the Indians. She witnessed the death of Capt. Cooper, who was shot by the Indians in the fort.
The paternal grandfather of our subject was a gallant Revolutionary soldier from Virginia, and received a grant of land from the State for his services in the struggle for independence. An accident in this connection is worth mentioning, as it gave rise to the two ways of spelling the family name. In the instrument of grant, or patent, the name was spelled “Hardwick,” instead of “Hardwicke,” the proper orthography. Since then some of the descendants have continued the former way of spelling the name. In a very early day Grandfather Hardwicke died in Virginia. His son, Philip, who was then quite young, was bound out to learn the trade of a cabinet-maker. However, before he attained to manhood, he went to Logan County, Ky., where he helped to build the first house in Lebanon.
About the time of attaining his majority, Philip Hardwicke came to Missouri and located in Howard County, where he met and married Miss Margaret Gregg. In the early Indian Wars, Capt. Hardwicke took a prominent part and commanded a company of volunteers through several campaigns. In 1824, he removed to Clay County, and improved a large and valuable farm five miles north of Kansas City, where he remained until shortly before his death. He was a very successful farmer and a man of great influence in his county. Though often urged to accept nomination for official position, he uniformly refused, being thoroughly averse to the life of a politician. He had no taste for the turmoil, confusion, slander, insincerity and double-dealing incident to politics, and scrupulously avoided everything of the kind, though he believed earnestly in the principles of the old Whig party, and never failed to vote his honest convictions. In 1849, he joined the general movement of Argonauts to the Pacific Coast, and on the return trip the following year, died on the ocean and was buried at Acapulco. The mother of our subject died November 29, 1892. Samuel Hardwicke was reared on his father’s farm in Clay County, and received a classical education at the Sugartree Grove Academy, then an institution of more than local repute, which he attended for a period of three years. Afterward he was a Professor of Greek and Latin in that institution for a year, at the close of which he resigned his professorship to engage in the study of law. As above stated, he read law under Judge Norton at Platte City, and was admitted to the Bar in the spring of 1857. He at once opened an office in Liberty, and has been in this city continuously since, except eighteen months spent at St. Paul, Minn.
The professional career of Mr. Hardwicke has already been spoken of. It is only necessary to add here that there has scarcely been a case of any importance in the county for years past with which he has not been identified as one of the counsel. He has given little attention to politics, except to vote his honest convictions, or at times to help his friends. He has therefore neither held nor desired any strictly political position. When a young man he was City Attorney at Liberty for a time, and in 1874 his name was canvassed by his friends for the Democratic nomination for Circuit Judge. His candidacy was very favorably received, and but for political trickery he was have been declared the regular nominee, for he fairly and honorably won the nomination.
On the 27th of December, 1860, Mr. Hardwicke was united in marriage with Miss Ada Hall, the refined and accomplished daughter of the late John D. Hall, formerly a leading and wealthy citizen of Clay County. Mrs. Hardwicke was educated at Clay Seminary, from which she was graduated in 1859. Mr. and Mrs. Hardwicke have four children: Maude, now the wife of Dr. John H. Rothwell, is a graduated of the Baptist Female College at Lexington, where she won six medals for superiority in various departments, and afterward taught music in that institution; Claude, who attended William Jewell College for six years, is now the law partner of his father under the firm name of Hardwicke & Hardwicke; Philip and Norton are at home, and still attend school. In their religious connections, Mr. and Mrs. Hardwicke are members respectively of the Cumberland Presbyterian and Christian Churches. Mr. Hardwicke is a prominent member of the Masonic order, and founded the Commandery at this place.
(Source: PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD of Clay, Ray, Carroll, Chariton and Linn Counties, Missouri, Page 285, Chicago:, CHAPMAN Bros., 1893. Transcribed by Genealogy Trails Transcription Team)
W. C. HARREL, in early days a prominent and influential citizen of Kentucky, has for over a score of years been identified with the growth and progress of the business interests of Clay County, Mo., and has long been numbered among the leading agriculturists of Liberty Township. The paternal ancestors of our subject were of English birth, but settled in Kentucky at a very early day in the history of our country. Both the paternal and maternal grandfather fought bravely in the Revolutionary War, and in passing away, bequeathed to their descendants the patriotism which distinguished the conduct of their honorable and upright lives.
Our subject is the son of Isaac and Nancy (Montgomery) Harrel, who settled in Kentucky when much of the State was almost a wilderness, and the Indians constantly terrorized the dwellers upon the frontier of this “county of Virginia,” as Kentucky was named by the Federal government. It was in the year 1780, that Isaac Harrel made his home in the new country called by the savages, “Kentucky,” meaning “the dark and bloody ground,” and became one of the hardy, resolute and courageous pioneers of the State. Prospering in his new home, Father Harrel held important positions of trust, and was Surveyor of Nelson County for twenty-one years. At the expiration of this length of time, he removed with his family to Todd County in 1821, and died in 1854. The faithful companion of his joys and sorrows, and the brave sharer in the privations and dangers of frontier life, passed away six years before his death, dying in the year 1846.
Few men possess the energy, ambition and ability which were the characteristics of Isaac Harrel, who achieved prosperity through his own industry and self-reliance. He was the owner of six hundred acres of valuable land, which he devoted to general agriculture and the raising of tobacco. In very early life he taught school in the city of Natchez, but although he made an excellent instructor, he was more adapted to the handling of extensive business interests. His thirst for practical knowledge was insatiable, and after an excellent preparatory of education, he fitted himself for the practice of law, and studying under Benjamin Shippe and Benjamin Harden, whose legal knowledge and ability have attained world-wide fame, graduated with honor and was admitted to the Bar.
Thoroughly grounded in the details of law, and possessing a remarkable memory, Mr. Harrel became authority as one of the most able land lawyers of his day. Hew as also ranked as an expert civil engineer, and in all the various duties of life displayed rare executive ability. A public-spirited and progressive citizen, he entered ardently into discussions of political questions, and was a Whig. He and his good wife, both members of the Old-school Presbyterian Church, were always active in the promotion of social and benevolent enterprises. Mr. and Mrs. Isaac Harrel were the parents of the following sons and daughters: Alfred H., the eldest, was born in 1806, and died in 1836; Saphronia, born in 1808, died in Cooper county, Mo., in the year 1872; John E. and Paulina C. (twins), born in 1810, lived to a good old age, John dying in 1880; our subject was next in the order of birth, and came into the home of his father and mother in 1812; Albert, born in 1814, died in 1824; Emmeline, born in 1816, died in 1818; George, born in 1819, died in 1864. The latter was shot while in command of the Fourteenth Regiment. He had entered the volunteer service during the Civil War with the rank of Captain, and had received the deserved promotion to the position of Colonel, but while gallantly cheering his regiment in its advance to the front at battle of Cedar Creek, fell mortally wounded. He was a brilliant and successful lawyer, and had been a Representative for his county and Senatorial District, and his untimely death was a public loss. Amanda was the youngest of the children of Isaac Harrel, and was born in 1820, and died the same year.
Our subject, W. C. Harrel, cane to Missouri in 1872. Death had robbed him of his wife, and the Civil War had almost ruined him financially. In his Kentucky home he had owned thirty-one slaves, and cultivated his plantation of six hundred acres, raising large quantities of tobacco. Now reduced in worldly goods, he began the battle of life anew, and with his accustomed energy and determination to overcome all obstacles to success, once more gained a competence, and has been able to provide liberally for all his children, aiding each one in starting out in life. He purchased three hundred and twenty acres of excellent land, which he has given to his children, and, residing on the homestead, enjoys the society of a host of friends, who fully appreciate his generous nature and sterling integrity of character. Mr. Harrel was married in the year 1840 to Miss Caroline C. McElwain, who was born in 1819, and became the mother of eight sons and daughters. The brothers and sisters are: George A., born in 1841, a physician, who resides in Trenton, Ky., and has also made his home in Brooklyn, N. Y., and Toronto, Canada, graduating from a medical course in the last-name cities. He served two years in the Civil War, and was captured at Vicksburg. James T., born in 1844, is a farmer and stock-dealer in Trenton, Ky., where he has a family. He also served in the Civil War. Augusta T., born in 1846, lives with her father, and is an accomplished lady, and finished her schooling at the female college at Greenville, Ky. Isaac, born in 1848, has a family and is a farmer of Clay County. E. P., born in 1850, is a resident of Clay County. John M., born in 1855, is the Representative for Clay County, and, living upon the homestead, is a prosperous general agriculturist and stock-raiser. Lee born in 1857, is Pastor of the Baptist Church at Plattsburgh, Mo., and is a graduate of William Jewell College at Liberty, Mo. Constant in duty, the Rev. Lee Harrel has been absent from Sabbath services but eleven times in six years of hard pastoral work. Mary B., the youngest child of our subject, born in 1862, is at home.
For several years Mr. Harrel was an active member of the Ancient Free & Accepted Masons, but advancing years prevent his presence at the meetings of the lodge. He and his wife were members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, and were liberal supporters of that religious organization. Mrs. Harrel was of Irish descent, her father having been born in Londonderry, but emigrating at an early age, arrived in America in 1798, and located in Baltimore, Md. Our subject and his family are all highly respected, and in their several localities command the esteem and confidence of the general public, who appreciate their worth, intelligence and ability. After the various vicissitudes of his mainly prosperous and honored career, our subject can in the evening of his life congratulate himself as possessing the genuine will and native resolution of the true American citizen, whom business losses only stimulate to increased effort and final victory.
(Source: Portrait and Biographical Record of Clay, Ray, Carroll, Chariton and Linn Counties, Missouri, 1893. Page 233. Transcribed by Genealogy Transcription Team)
JOSEPH M. HEATHMAN, an energetic, enterprising and successful agriculturist of Clay County, Mo., is also a popular Justice of the Peace and a well-known Notary Public. Our subject was born in Bourbon County, Ky., in 1840, and was the son of Elias and Patsy (Riggs) Heathman. Elias Heathman was also a native of Bourbon County and was born in 1809. His good wife was a native of Nicholas County, Ky., and a daughter of Erasmus and Eleanor (Wilcoxen) Riggs, natives of Maryland but pioneer settlers of Kentucky. The father of Joseph M. was educated in the common schools of his native State. His father died when he was a child, and his mother married William Gaines. When about twenty-one years old Elias Heathman began life for himself, devoting his efforts to the cultivation of the soil. While yet a very young man he married, and unto him and his estimable wife were born eight children, three of whom died young. The five brothers and sisters who survived the perils of infancy were: George, who went West in 1858 and was never heard of afterward; Eleanor, wife of John Rollins; William, deceased; Joseph, our subject; and Mahala, widow of Laban Beacraft.
Elias Heathman left Kentucky about 1846, and after having located in Illinois buried his wife at Jacksonville. Returning to Kentucky, he married the sister of his first wife, Miss Maria Riggs. By his second union, he became the father of four children: Margaret, deceased, the wife of Isaac Heathman; Keturah, wife of Thomas Phillip; John M., residing in Oregon; and Walter, deceased. It was in 1854 that Father Heathman came with his family to Missouri, and locating in Monroe County purchased two hundred acres of land but never moved onto the farm, as he was taken sick and died in the fall of the year 1857. Both the father and mother of our subject were members of the Methodist Episcopal Church and active in the good works of that religious organization. The father was a member of the Ancient Free & Accepted Masons, of the Royal Arch degree, and was among the prominent Masons present at the funeral of Henry Clay. Politically, Mr. Elias Heathman was early in life an ardent Whig, but later identified himself with the society of Know-nothings. He was an influential and leading citizen and possessed a host of old-time friends.
Immediately following the death of his father, Joseph M. Heathman, then seventeen years of age began to make his upward way in the world. He had received a common-school education, and for the succeeding eight years devoted himself to working for other people, sometimes upon a farm and sometimes clerking in the stores of Smithville and Gosneyville, Clay County, Mo., and he also taught school one term. He arrived in this portion of the State in 1859, and in 1864 was united in marriage with Miss Sophia Rollins, daughter of Lee and Susan (Penn) Rollins. In 1863, he crossed the plains to Colorado but was not gone quite a year, and in 1865 removed to Illinois. In 1886 he returned to Missouri and in 1867 bought a farm in Clinton County, but the same year sold out his interest there and came back to Clay County. Mr. Heathman now bought land adjoining his present farm and lived upon it nineteen years and then disposed of a portion of the land and purchased his present homestead. He now owns ninety acres, mostly under a high state of improvement, although when he took this farm but three acres of land were broken. The commodious residence, barns and outbuildings were erected by our subject, who is a thrifty and prudent manager.
In 1861, Mr. Heathman joined the Missouri State Guards under Gen. Price, and serving faithfully from the call of Gov. Jackson to his surrender to Gen. Rosecrans in April, 1862, fought at Pea Ridge and engaged in numerous skirmishes. After his return home he attended school for a time and two years later married. The home of Mr. and Mrs. Heathman was brightened by the birth of seven children, the four eldest of whom are established in homes of their own. Lillian is the wife of John T. Brooks; Lulu L. is Mrs. George B. Breckenridge; Elias P. married Miss Ora King; Anna R. is the wife of John R. Purdy. America, Martin J. and Charles F. are with their parents. Mr. Heathman has held his position as Justice of the Peace six years, giving universal satisfaction in the discharge of the duties entrusted to his care. Fraternally, he is a valued member of Lodge No. 193, I. O. O. F., at Gosneyville. As a citizen and official of high honor and efficiency our subject is actively interested in local progress and improvement and, an important factor in the advancement of his locality, possesses the confidence and regard of his fellow-townsmen.
(Source: PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD of Clay, Ray, Carroll, Chariton and Linn Counties, Missouri, Page 316, Chicago:, CHAPMAN Bros., 1893. Transcribed by Genealogy Trails Transcription Team)
A. W. HOLLAND; farmer, section 14, was born in East Tennessee, in 1833. His father, Benjamin Holland, moved to Clay County, Missouri, in 1835, and in 1837 located a claim of 200 acres in Platte County, and thus became one of the original settlers of the Platte Purchase. He was a Methodist in his religious preferences, and his home was often the abode of the early ministers; the first preaching in the Platte Purchase was held in his house, and also the first quarterly meeting. He was a leader in religious matters, always outspoken and honest, and loved the old flag of his forefathers. After the M. E. Church South was formed, he still continued his connection and love for the old church, and on that account was persecuted on every hand; in like manner was his pastor, the Rev. Wm. Sellers, now of the Missouri conference of the M. E. Church treated. In March, 1856, in the village of Rochester, near his home, the latter was tarred by a mob and insulted in various ways, and Mr. Holland was shot and killed while sitting on the counter of a store. From these circumstances his son, the subject of this sketch, received his early impressions of right and wrong. The treatment and death of his sainted father will be something never to be forgotten by him. So he has grown to be a man positive in his conviction, doing what he knows to be right with all his might, and opposing wrong with the same earnest zeal. Mr. Holland received a good common school education in his youth, has always been a great reader, and now is among the best informed men of the county. His mother was the daughter of Colonel Warner, of Tennessee, who fought so nobly in the Revolutionary war. Mr. H. taught school one year in Andrew County, and in 1855 he settled in Nebraska City, where he engaged in trade. In 1859, he returned to Rock Port, Atchison County, Missouri, there buying a home. He remained there for two years, and in the fall of 1860 came to this county and located in Shoal Township. He bought a good farm, paying $3,000 for it, commenced work, and at once took a front rank among our best farmers. In 1861, the Union men of his community formed a company of home guards in Mirabile, Caldwell County, remaining organized for six months. He then enlisted in the Sixth Missouri State Cavalry of the United States service, of which he was a member for over three years. On the 7th of April, 1864, on account of sickness he was mustered out, receiving an honorable discharge. He sold his farm and moved to Plattsburg, where he was engaged in trade until 1867, when he bought the farm on which he has since resided, and which embraces 160 acres of land. He has made many valuable improvements, and now has one of the most desirable homes in the vicinity. Mr. Holland is a leading Republican, and in 1869 was one of the eleven voters in the county for Lincoln—Mr. H. and his brother, Judge Estep, N. Potter, John R. Stevens and others. He has never been an office seeker, but has frequently been a delegate to conventions, and is a member of the county central committee. He was active in organizing the Garfield Club, which did so much for the Republican cause in the campaign. He married Miss Sarah Hendix, of Iowa, in March, 1859. They have eight children, Florence, Winn, George F., Willis Z., Eddie J., Albert Kingsley, Rosa Mary, and Burk. Four are deceased.
(Source: The History of Clinton County Missouri; published 1881; O.P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack)
JOHN C. HOLLAND; farmer and stock raiser, section 33, post office Turney, is a native of Sevier County, Tennessee, and was born near Sevierville on the 28th day of June, 1820, is the son and fifth child of Benjamin Holland, a native of Tennessee, who was born in Cocke County, in the year 1794. He emigrated to Clay County, Missouri, in 1832, and, with his family, in 1835, moved to Platte County. He was a resident of Andrew County at the time of his death, having been murdered on account of his religious principles, on the 8th day of June, 1856. John C. began business for himself when twenty-one years of age. In 1841, he entered eighty acres of land in Platte County, which he improved, and, in 1846, enlisted in Company F., Second Regiment Missouri Volunteers, under Sterling Price. He served for fifteen months, then returned, commenced farming, and, in 1850, came to Clinton County, settling where he now resides. He owns a farm of 120 acres, well improved. Mr. Holland is a kind and generous citizen, and has always been actuated by the best and purest of motives. He is an active church member, and his heart and hand are in all good works, and his name is greatly revered by all. He has reared his family about a family altar, and made a pleasant and happy home amid the companionship of others, and is known by old and young, throughout the county, as "Uncle John." As a business man, beginning without capital, other than his own native abilities, and prompted by the ambition to become known as an upright, honorable and influential man, he has gradually risen to his present position. Mr. H. was married, August 4, 1848, to Miss Jane St. John. Their .family consists of Mary C, Margaret L., Ben F., William T., Andrew J., John H., Minnie A., living, and Lyda J. and Tyafena B., deceased. They worship with the M. E. denomination.
(Source: The History of Clinton County Missouri; published 1881; O.P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack)
JOHN T. HUDSON, a prominent citizen, enterprising business man and leading hardware merchant of Smithville, Clay County, Mo., is a native of this State, and was born upon a farm in the western part of the same county where he now resides. He was a son of Simon and Celia (Massie) Hudson, both of his parents being natives of Kentucky, and born in Madison County, the father in 1812, and the mother in 1819. The great-grandfather of our subject came from England to this country at an early day in the history of our nation, and settled in Virginia. Of his children, but one lived to adult age, Simon Hudson, who was born and reared in the Old Dominion and there married a fair young bride, and with his wife Pollie emigrated to Kentucky, where he made a home for the family who later clustered about the cheery hearth. Simon Hudson afterward removed to Clay County, Mo., but it was in the Kentucky home that the father of John T. was born.
The birth of Simon Hudson occurred in the tragic year when in the War of 1812 so many of the best citizens of Kentucky were massacred in one of the most horrible and barbarous scenes in the history of the United States. After the treaty of 1815, Kentucky was undisturbed by any stirring events of public importance, but danger lurked for a long time within her frontier settlements. Amid the privations of pioneer life the father of our subject passed his boyhood. His advantages for education were necessarily limited, but he received the book knowledge obtainable in the little subscription schools, and dutifully remained with his father until he reached his majority, aiding with cheerful energy in the maintenance of the home which had been desolated by the death of the loving wife and mother, who in early womanhood passed away.
Simon Hudson and his son came to Missouri in 1825, and located a large body of Government land in Clay County. The elder Mr. Hudson was now a man past middle life but full of hope, courage and ambition. Before his death in 1853, he had prosperously accumulated fifteen hundred acres of valuable land, and was numbered among the substantial and most highly respected citizens of the county. He lived to be eighty-one years of age, and although his wife, who passed away in 1813, died when he was a comparatively a young man, he never married again. Our subject received his education in the common schools of Clay County, and remained upon the farm with his parents until twenty-two years of age. When about twenty-six years old, Mr. Hudson was united in marriage with Miss Nannie D. Faubion, daughter of J. W. and Elizabeth (Broadhurst) Faubion. Mrs. Hudson was born in Clay County, where her parents, who were native Tennesseans, were also reared. Mr. and Mrs. Hudson have been blessed by the birth of two children, Maud and Roy H.
After the marriage of our subject, he made his home upon his father’s farm until 1871, when he went to Excelsior Springs, and clerked in a hardware store for three years. At the expiration of this length of time, Mr. Hudson came to Smithville and engaged in his present business, which was from the first an established success, and is now the leading hardware house in this part of the county. Mr. Hudson carries a complete stock of goods in his line of business, and is located in a pleasant store, thirty-two by eighty feet, and would inventory about $3,500 worth of goods. Politically our subject is a strong Democrat and an earnest adherent of the party. Interested in all matters pertaining to public welfare, an efficient promoter of worthy enterprise, and an advocate of the cause of educational advancement, he enjoys the esteem and confidence of the general public, who thoroughly appreciate his sterling integrity of character.
(Source: Portrait and Biographical Record of Clay, Ray, Carroll, Chariton and Linn Counties, Missouri, 1893. Page 281. Transcribed by Genealogy Transcription Team)
JAMES M. HYMER, a successful agriculturist and stock-raiser, and a prominent and influential citizen, residing in township 51, range 32, section 23, Liberty Township, is one of the oldest settlers in Clay County, Mo. Born in October, 1824, our subject came with his parents to Missouri in 1832, when Clay County was little more than a wilderness. James M. Hymer is the son of Jacob and Sallie (Willis) Hymer, and is the second in a family of four children living. The father and mother were from Kentucky, where the six elder of their ten little ones were born. Settling in Missouri, the father entered a large body of land from the Government and cultivated about four hundred acres.
Jacob Hymer was an active politician and a Democrat first and last. He filled many important positions of trust, and most acceptably occupied the offices of Assessor, Collector and Sheriff. Energetic and enterprising, he was ever public-spirited and a liberal giver in behalf of local progress and improvement. He and his worthy wife were members of the old Baptist Church, and were among the chief supporters of that religious organization. The living children of this Missouri pioneer are Willis S., a farmer, born in 1821; our subject who was next in order of birth; Minerva J., born in 1831, and who resides in Cass County, Mo.; and William, born in 1827, a farmer and stock raiser of Clay County, Mo.
Our subject was but a little lad eight years of age when he arrived in Missouri, and in his adopted State he acquired a rudimentary education in the primitive schools of the early days. Trained in all the duties of farming when young, he was soon able to do the work of a hired hand, and was well fitted to make his own way in the world. Mr. Hymer owns a highly-improved farm of four hundred acres and is one of the most extensive breeders of a good grade of cattle in this part of the county. February 19, 1852, our subject took unto himself a wife, choosing for a life partner Mrs. Nancy Rodgers, a most estimable lady, well known and highly respected. Mr. and Mrs. Hymer are the parents of eight children, seven of whom are living. Fannie E., born May 3, 1853, is the wife of Andres Fritzler, a farmer; William T., born December 18, 1854, is Deputy-Assessor of Clay County, Mo.; Sallie Gertie, born September 20, 1861; Rhoda B., born February 21, 1826, resides at home; Robert Luther, born November 20, 1867, is one of the home circle; Jacob Oscar, born November 9, 1859; and James E., born June 30, 1870, is a school teacher. Mrs. Hymer was the daughter of David and Rachael Rogers and was born November 17, 1832. She was a great worker in the cause of religion, and was an old-time Baptist.
In political affiliations, our subject has always been a Democrat and a strong supporter of the party whose principles were maintained by the illustrious Thomas Jefferson. Mr. Hymer was at one time a member of a company of Home Guards, sworn to protect the country. For nearly three score years a resident of his present home, our subject has been an important factor in many of the enterprises and local interests of the county and the home neighborhood. He was at one time a very prominent worker in the temperance cause, and during his long and honorable career has ever used his influence in behalf of right, justice, and reform. Known widely as an upright and useful citizen, Mr. Hymer is universally respected and esteemed.
(Source: Portrait and Biographical Record of Clay, Ray, Carroll, Chariton and Linn Counties, Missouri, 1893. Page 251. Transcribed by Genealogy Transcription Team)