Death of the Rev. A.B. Jones
The Liberty, Mo., Pastor Was Also a Writer and an Educator
Liberty, Mo., Dec. 27 – The Rev. A.B. Jones, 89 years old, a widely known writer, educator and minister, and pastor emeritus of the Liberty Christian church, died at his home here at 10:30 o’clock last night. He had been in failing health for more than a year. He leaves three children, Mrs. Mattie B. Burris of the home address, Mrs. Clifton George of El Paso, Tex., and James Wharton Jones of Los Angeles.
Mr. Jones was born in Middletown, Montgomery County, Missouri, January 5, 1832. In 1854 he was ordained as a minister of the gospel, and was called to the pastorate of the old Main Street church in Lexington, Ky., in 1855. In 1857 he was married to Miss Sarah B. Stewart, a sister of Gen. Alexander P. Stewart of the Confederate army. She died the following year.
In 1858 he came to Clay County to become pastor of the Christian church. He was married again in 1860, this time to Katherine M. Gordon of Clay County. Fifteen years of his life he spent in conducting girls’ seminaries, four years in Platte City, Mo.; six years in Richmond, Ky., and five years in Liberty. Some of the foremost women in Missouri and Kentucky received their education and training under his supervision. For six years, prior to 1882, he was corresponding secretary to the Missouri state board of missions, traveling extensively over the state.
In 1870, in connection with Alexander Proctor, George W. Longan and Thomas P. Haley, he assisted in establishing and editing a church paper called the Christian, which was first published in Kansas City, afterward moved to St. Louis and combined with other journals, becoming the Christian Evangelist. He was one of the founders of the William Woods college at Fulton, Mo., and the girls’ orphan school at Camden Point, Mo. In 1912 William Jewell college conferred upon him the title of doctor of divinity.
The funeral will be at the Christian church here Friday afternoon, and the services will be conducted by Dr. D.W. Moore.
(Source: Kansas City Times, Kansas City, Missouri, dated December 27, 1920. Transcribed by Denise Burge)