Welcome to...
Clinton County, Missouri

Biographies
~ A ~

P. M. Anderson. In Clinton County, two miles south of Lathrop, is located the Clinton Herd Stock Farm, in Jackson Township. That is one of the farms which has done much to increase the reputation of Northwest Missouri for agricultural enterprise. It is known to buyers of hogs not only in Northwest Missouri, but in several adjoining states, and some of the finest specimens of Poland-China breed found anywhere in the country have been raised by P. M. Anderson. The farm comprises 360 acres, all cultivated and arranged for the best convenience of its primary purpose as a hog farm. Mr. Anderson some years ago acquired the nucleus of his herd from the herd of Dawson & Son, of Endicott, Nebraska; from John B. Lawson, of Clarinda, Iowa, and from a modest beginning has developed a herd of his own with many distinctive characteristics. His two finest animals have been King Iowa, No. 67584, which weighed 850 pounds, and Superior Jumbo, No. 65435, that weighed 800 pounds. Both of them were show animals, and were awarded numerous premiums at fairs and stock shows. What is now recognized as an institution among hog buyers is the annual October sale held on the Anderson farm, which brings buyers from all over Missouri, Iowa and Nebraska.
Mr. Anderson, the proprietor of this substantial enterprise in Clinton County, was born in Ray County, Missouri, on a farm near Richmond thirty-three years ago. His father, Alexander Anderson, was a native of Kentucky, of an old Kentucky family, and after a career as a farmer died in Ray County. P. M. Anderson grew up on a farm, attended public schools, received his most valuable training at home, and from early youth has been particularly proficient as a judge and in the handling of hogs. When he was twenty-two years of age he married Miss Parsons, of Clinton County. They are the parents of three children: Martha L., James A. and Pauline. Mr. Anderson is affiliated with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and the Woodmen of the World. By his dealings and capable business methods he has won the confidence of his entire community and of every hog raiser with whom he has business relations.
[A History of Northwest Missouri, Volume 2; edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1918; Donated and Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack]

R. G. ANDERSON; farmer and stock raiser, section 30, post office Plattsburg, is a native of Kentucky, having been born in Monroe County, August 31, 1821. When quite young, his parents removed to Tennessee, where he was raised to manhood and educated, his early life being spent in tilling the soil. In 1851, or 1852, he came to Clinton County, Missouri, locating in Platte Township, where he was identified with its progressive farmers until 1877, when he removed to his present location. His estate consists of eighty acres of land, well cultivated. Mr. A. possesses those traits peculiar to a Kentucky gentleman, and is popular with all who may form his acquaintance. He has been three times married. First, to Miss Angelina McCrowder, who died, leaving three children, two of whom arc living, Sallie and Jane; John, deceased. His second wife was Miss Julia Boyd (now deceased). By this union there were five children, four of whom are living: Julia, Mary, William and James; lost one, Susan D. His present wife was Miss Sarah Randolph. They have had five children, four of whom survive: Maggie, Franklin, Robert and George; lost one, Maggie. Himself and family are closely connected with the Christian Church.
[Source: The History of Clinton County Missouri; Publ. 1881 by O. P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack]  

JAMES P. ARTERBURN; farmer and stock raiser, section 22, post office Plattsburg. The subject of this sketch was born in Washington County, Tennessee, but was raised in Sullivan County. He received a common school education. His father, being quite an extensive farmer, James' time was devoted principally in looking after that business. He was married, March 4. 1840, to Miss Nancy Chase, a native of Tennessee. In 1856, Mr. and Mrs. A. came to Clinton County, and settled near their present location. The farm now consists of sixty-two acres of well improved land. Mr. A. has a pleasant residence, with all necessary out buildings, and an orchard about three acres in extent. He is a man of decided character, with strong and enduring convictions of right. He served in the Mexican war, but did not take any active part in the late rebellion, although his sympathies were with the South. Mr. and Mrs. A. have three children living: James M., Mary M. and Sarah M. They are members of the Christian Church.
(Source:  The History of Clinton County Missouri; published 1881; O.P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack)

David Rice AtchisonATCHISON, David Rice, Senate years of service: 1843-1855. Party: Democrat. A Senator from Missouri; born in Frogtown, Ky., August 11, 1807; attended Transylvania University, Lexington, Ky.; studied law; admitted to the bar and commenced practice in Liberty, Clay County, Mo., in 1829; also engaged in agricultural pursuits; member of the State house of representatives in 1834, and again in 1838; appointed judge of the Platte County circuit court in 1841; appointed and subsequently elected in 1843 as a Democrat to the United States Senate to fill the vacancy caused by the death of Lewis F. Linn; reelected in 1849, and served from October 14, 1843, to March 3, 1855; President pro tempore of the Senate (Twenty-ninth through Thirty-third Congresses); chairman, Committee on the Militia (Twenty-ninth Congress), Committee on Indian Affairs (Thirtieth through Thirty-second Congresses); resumed the practice of law; died at his home near Gower, Clinton County, Mo., January 26, 1886; interment in Greenlawn Cemetery, Plattsburg, Mo.
(Source: Biographical Directory of the US Congress 1774-Present. Submitted by Linda Rodriguez)

David Rice AtchisonGENERAL DAVID R. ATCHISON; Ex-Senator David R. Atchison, of Missouri, was born at Frogtown, in Fayette County, Kentucky, August 1807. Being the son of a wealthy farmer of that county, he received all the advantages of a liberal education, which developed those powerful intellectual faculties that rendered his name, in after life, conspicuous in the history of the country. His father was William Atchison, the son of a farmer of Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, and who moved, with his parents, when six years old, to that garden spot of the west, which now constitutes the rich and magnificently improved County of Fayette, in the State of Kentucky. His mother's maiden name was Catherine Allen. She was a native of the State of Georgia, and a lady of rare natural and acquired endowments. General Atchison was the eldest of six children, four sons and two daughters. His brothers were, B. A. Atchison, generally known as Allen Atchison, who died in 1857, leaving one child, John C, who, with Mary, a daughter of William Atchison, resides with the General; Alexander Atchison, who died insane, since the war; and William Atchison, the father of Dr. J. B. Atchison, at one time a well known physician of St. Joseph. One sister, Mary, was married to Madison Allen, a farmer of Buchanan County. Miss Rebecca Atchison, another sister of the General, died at her residence in Clinton County, in August, 1874. The brothers were all large farmers, and recognized as men of more than ordinary natural and acquired endowments of mind. Largely blessed with the gifts of fortune, intellectual worth seems to have been no less the heritage of this distinguished family. Blessed with ample means and a proper appreciation of the advantages of mental culture, the parents of the subject of this sketch spared no efforts in developing those dawning powers of mind which were, in after life, to render his name prominent in the history of the government. In 1825, he was graduated, with high honor, in Transylvania University, then the leading institution of learning in the state, and since incorporated in the new University of Kentucky. Upon receiving his degree in the arts, Mr. Atchison, with characteristic energy immediately applied himself to the study of law. Among his preceptors in this faculty were the eminent Judge Bledsoe, Charles Humphrey and William T. Barry, afterward Postmaster General of the United States, during the administration of Van Buren. In 1829 Mr. Atchison was admitted to the practice of law in his native state. Notwithstanding the most flattering encouragement and persuasion to remain from those who knew and appreciated his talents, he determined to try his fortune in tile West, and a few months after, in 1830, removed to the comparatively wild district of Clay County, Missouri. In April of that year he received, in St. Louis, his license to practice in the Supreme Court of the state, and immediately settled in the village of Liberty, now the important seat of Clay County. The only lawyer settled in that place at the time of his arrival was Judge William T. Wood, now a resident of Lexington, and a man highly respected for his personal and professional worth. About this period Mr. Atchison was appointed Major General of the Northern Division of Missouri State Militia. General Atchison soon commanded a lucrative practice in his new home, where he continued to reside, in the discharge of the duties of his profession, until February, 1841, when his superior legal attainments, which were known and recognized throughout the state, won for him the appointment by Governor Thomas Reynolds of Judge of the Circuit Court of Platte County on its organization in February of that year, when he moved his residence to Platte City. It appears that in that day judges were appointed to this position by the Governor, with the advice and consent of the senate. The office was not made elective till several years after. General Atchison though endowed with an inflexible will and unyielding firmness of character was ever a man of unassuming bearing, large benevolence and convivial and social habits. These, together with his recognized professional ability, rendered him highly popular with all classes among the early settlers of that region, and in August, 1834, as again in 1838, he was elected to the state legislature from Clay County. Upon the death of Dr. Linn, United States Senator, in the autumn of that year, Judge Atchison was appointed by Governor Reynolds to the vacancy thus occasioned in the Senate. It was by many considered that this appointment was merited, and had been recommended by Colonel Benton, and other authorities of the Democratic party; by others, it was said, that the Governor, himself, was ambitious of the senatorship, and had selected Judge Atchison as a person who could be easily beaten at the next election. The death of Governor Reynolds, however, occurred before the meeting of the next Legislature, and Judge Atchison was elected with but slight opposition. He was re-elected for two full terms, in succession, the last of which expired March 4, 1855, during the administration of Franklin Pierce. Two years after this he moved his residence from Platte to his present home in Clinton County. He was elected President of the Senate, to succeed Judge Mangum, a Whig Senator from North Carolina, who is mentioned by Judge Atchison as a man of considerable ability and uncompromising integrity. Two or three years after, Judge Atchison was again elected to that distinguished position, which he continued to hold for some time, till he was relieved, during a temporary absence on private business, by Jesse D. Bright, whose election to fill the vacancy was the result of a suggestion to that effect from his distinguished predecessor. The fourth of March, 1849, occurring on Sunday, General Z. Taylor was not inaugurated till the following Monday, Judge Atchison thus, as presiding officer of the Senate, became virtually President of the United States during the term of twenty-four hours. In referring to this accidental dignity, on being interrogated as to how he enjoyed his exalted position, the venerable senator good-humoredly replied that he could tell but little about it, as overcome with fatigue, consequent on several consecutive days and nights of official labor, he slept through nearly his whole term of service. To go back, however, in our history: When David R. Atchison entered the senate, he acted cordially with Colonel Benton, and, as late as 1848, claimed that he was the first to frame an act organizing the Territory of Oregon, with a clause prohibiting slavery. The next year he attached himself to the party of Mr. Calhoun, and, elected president pro ton of the senate, was received into favor and roused into prominence by his new party, and became the antagonist of Colonel Benton in his own state. The union of a few Democrats, under the lead of Mr. Atchison, with the Whigs, defeated Colonel Benton, in 185o. The former became especially prominent in the legislation for the organization of the territories of Kansas and Nebraska. The first bill, which was introduced into congress, to this end, was in the winter of 1851-2, and had no reference to the subject of slavery. This bill Mr. Atchison advocated by a speech in the senate, but, subsequently, on his return to Missouri, he became an opponent of the bill, and declared, in a public speech, that he would never vote for the measure unless the Missouri Compromise was repealed. The public sentiment at that time was such that his declaration was denounced by the papers of his own party; but, within a month from the opening of the next congress, Mr. Douglas, from the Committee on Territories, reported a bill to organize these territories, containing a clause which, by strong implication, repealed the Missouri Compromise, although the report accompanying the bill expressly deprecated any such intent. This clause was assailed by Messrs. Chase and Sumner, and by others, in a printed circular, which led to vehement and personal debate. There was finally substituted another clause, drawn up by Archibald Dixon, senator from Kentucky, which repealed the Missouri Compromise, outright, and, in this shape, the bill passed. Gen. Atchison subsequently affirmed, in a speech made in the Territory of Kansas that the clause repealing the Missouri Compromise originated with him and that he had proposed it to Mr. Douglas, who, at first, declined to insert it in his bill, but, after a period of hesitation, consented to do so. This account tallies with public facts, and though it was published in the newspapers, was not denied by Mr. Douglas. On his retirement from the Senate, of which he was an honored member for the space of over twelve years, during the greater portion of which time he was its presiding officer, he continued to take a lively interest in the politics of the country, and was regarded as a leader and chief adviser to the pro-slavery party in Kansas, during the troubles which preceded the admission of that state. In 1856, we find him in command of 1,150 men, at a point called Santa Fe. On the 29th of August, of the same year, a detachment from General Atchison's army attacked Osawatomie, which was defended by about 50 men, who made a vigorous resistance, but were defeated with the loss of five wounded and seven prisoners. Five of the assailants were killed, and thirty buildings were burned. The next day, a body of Free State men marched from Lawrence to attack Atchison's army. On their approach the latter retired, and withdrew his forces into Missouri. The admission of Kansas as a free state, soon after, put an end to this much vexed question, and restored tranquility to the country. General Atchison then lived in retirement, on his magnificent estate, in Clinton County, till the breaking out of the civil war, when he left for the South, and was present at the battle of Lexington. Governor Jackson sent him a commission as brigadier general at the commencement of the war. This General Atchison declined accepting, as his residence was in Clinton County, outside of the limits of the division. He, however, remained with the army, and assisted at its organization. He joined temporarily, for the purpose of making up the company, Eph. Kelley's artillery command, from St. Joseph, and remained with the army till after the battle of Elkhorn. At the close of the war General Atchison returned to his home in Clinton County, where he has since continued to reside in almost unbroken retirement. He was never married. His residence, a lofty and spacious brick mansion in the midst of a magnificent farm of 1,000 acres, about seven miles west of Flattsburg and about a mile and a half from Gower, was accidentally destroyed by fire on the 2d of February, 1870. The only persons in the house at the time were the general, a sister-in-law, and a little girl, a niece, who were resident with him, and a Negro servant. The farm hands were all at work at some distance from the house. The neighbors attracted by the flames soon assembled in considerable number, but without the means of reaching the lofty roof, and too late to render any effective assistance. The entire building was consumed, with most of the contents. The general, in speaking of the loss, seemed less to regret the destruction of the spacious and elegant mansion than the burning of his extensive library and valuable records of his opinions and observations during the long period of his service in the Senate of the United States, in which he predicted the civil war, etc. The interest which a work of that character emanating from the pen of such a man would have been read by people of all parties can readily be imagined. General Atchison, since the fire in which his mansion was destroyed, erected on its site an elegant frame cottage, but of much smaller area than the old building, shattered columns and other stone debris of which still appear on the ground to speak of the lofty edifice of which they Citizen until the time of his demise, which occurred in February, 1846. His son, M. V. Elliott, was born in Clinton County, Missouri, December 7, 1839. Here he has been raised and educated, since making it his home, with the exception of several years spent in the far northwest in the government employ. His estate consists of 160 acres of choice land, seventy-four acres of which are in Atchison Township, Clinton County, and eighty-six acres in Platte Township, Buchanan County. His residence is one-half in Clinton and one-half in Buchanan. Mr. E. is a thorough agriculturist, combining the practical with the theoretical, and is a gentleman of good conversational powers. His mother, an estimable lady, and one of the pioneers of Clinton and Buchanan Counties, resides with him; she has been three times married; her husbands are all deceased; her first husband, Mr. B. Cary; the second John Elliott, whom she married, in 1832, and who died in 1846; her third husband was James Feget, who died in 1879. The subject of this sketch was married, in 1856, to Miss Alice Knight, of Clay County. Missouri. They have had six children: Wallula, Bertie, Annie and Thersa, twins, and Pearl Irene; lost one, Titus Ellen. Himself and family are members of the Christian Church.
(Source:  The History of Clinton County Missouri; published 1881; O.P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack)

John C. Atchison. No name in Northwest Missouri has more prominent associations than that of Atchison. The most prominent figure was, of course, Gen. David R. Atchison, whose career has gone down in history, and who for many years was one of the most forceful leaders in politics, business and military affairs in the state. Atchison Township, in Clinton County, where John C. Atchison lives, was named in honor of that notable statesman and general, as was also the city of Atchison, in Kansas.
John C. Atchison, who is one of the principal representatives of this notable family at the present time, is a successful farmer and stockman, and vice-president of the Gower Bank. He owns one of the largest stock farms in Clinton County, a place of 1,200 acres situated about three miles northeast of Gower. John G. Atchison was born on this homestead in 1849, a son of Ben Allen Atchison. Ben Allen Atchison was born in Fayette County, Kentucky, of Scotch-Irish ancestors, and belonged to a family of planters and slave owners, and he brought many of his slaves to Northwest Missouri. Ben Allen Atchison was a son of William Atchison, who was prominent in Kentucky both in peace and in war. William Atchison married Mollie Hamilton, a native of Georgia and of an old Southern family.
Gen. David R. Atchison, a brother of Ben Allen Atchison, was born in Fayette County, Kentucky, in 1807, was educated in college, and in his political career finally reached the United States Senate. His father William was born in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, and married Catherine Allen, of Georgia, William Atchison and wife had four sons: William, father of the late Dr. J. B. Atchison, of St. Joseph; David R. j Ben Allen, and one other, besides two daughters, Mary Allen and Rebecca. The Atchison family was established in what is now Clay County, Missouri, in 1830. Gen. David R. Atchison was a lawyer by profession, and in 1857 bought a large tract of land in Clinton County, where Atchison Township was named in his honor. General Atchison took a prominent part in the Mormon troubles in Northwest Missouri during the '30s, also in the Kansas troubles preceding the Civil war, and finally retired from political life, and his last public speech was made at an old settlers' reunion in St. Joseph in 1874. General Atchison never married. He was a man of splendid presence, six feet high and with military bearing, and weighed 200 pounds. A fine old painting of General Atchison now hangs in the home of his nephew, John C. Atchison in Atchison Township.
Ben Allen Atchison, father of John C., was born in Fayette County, Kentucky, in 1809, was educated there, and was about twenty-one years of age when he came to Missouri. He married Margaret Baker. Coming to Clinton County in 1831, he acquired a large tract of land, much of it included within the present estate owned by his son, John C. He was a farmer, operated a large plantation and ranch in the early days, and did an extensive business as a raiser and shipper and dealer in mules, supplying many of the animals used by the Government in its post at Fort Leavenworth. Ben Allen Atchison died in 1856, and his wife passed away at the age of fifty-two.
John C. Atchison, their only son, grew up on the large homestead which he now owns, and was liberally educated, first in the public schools and later in colleges at Richmond and St. Joseph. In 1876 he married Serena E. Bland, and their marriage connected two of the prominent families of Northwest Missouri. Her father was W. W. Bland, a prominent physician, who came to this state from Kentucky. His widow is now living at Gower, and her father was Rev. H. F. Payne, one of the pioneer Christian ministers in Northwest Missouri.
Mr. Atchison and wife have three sons and three daughters: Ben A., who is married and lives on a farm; William B.; John C.; Anna; Mollie, wife of Frank Wright, of Buchanan County, Missouri; and Serena. All the children were liberally educated, and several of them were students in the University at Columbia. The Atchison home has all the attractions and quiet beauty that come with age and long continued associations with a single family. The residence is one of the largest in the township, is surrounded by trees, large grounds, and everything indicates comfort, prosperity and contented living. Mr. Atchison is a deacon in the Presbyterian church, and through his own activities and his influence has always stood for the better things in his community.
[A History of Northwest Missouri, Volume 2; edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1918; Donated and Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack]

JOHN F. ATCHISON; farmer, section 35, post office Easton, was born in Bath County, Kentucky, January 23, 1823, and in the fall of 1843 he came to Missouri, and located at Lexington, where he was engaged in various business till 1845. In September of the same year he was married to Miss Ephemia A. Clark. They then located on a farm in La Fayette County, where they remained till 1847, then moving to Buchanan County. There Mr. A. resided till 1872, when he moved to his present location. His farm contains 160 acres. Mrs. Atchison was born in La Fayette County, Missouri, December 17, 1825. Their family consists of seven children: John F., Anna M., Wm. W., Jesse L., A. C, Mattie M. and Laura L.
(Source:  The History of Clinton County Missouri; published 1881; O.P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack)

 

Return to

Clinton County

Missouri

Genealogy Trails

Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.