Welcome to...
Clinton County, Missouri

Biographies
~ C ~

Thomas J. Campbell. It is as a breeder and raiser of sheep that Thomas J. Campbell has his chief distinction among the farmers of Lathrop Township in Clinton County. Mr. Campbell has a fine farm of 180 acres of rich land, thoroughly cultivated and improved, and has adapted it to the uses of modern stock raising. Practically every one in the vicinity of Lathrop knows Thomas J. Campbell and his homestead, and recognizes in him a man of thorough business judgment, whose industry has brought him to a substantial position.
Thomas J. Campbell was born in Jackson Township, of Clinton County, November 5, 1861, and thus belongs to one of the earlier families that settled in this county. His father, W. A. Campbell, was a native of Madison County, Kentucky, while the grandfather was a Virginian. They came to Clinton County and settled in Jackson Township in 1857. Here the father died after a long and honorable career at the age of eighty years, while his wife also died at a good old age.
When Thomas J. Campbell was twenty-eight years of age he married Jennie Smith, daughter of J. L. Smith. Since that time his prosperity has been on the gradual increase, and at the present time his material possessions rank him among the foremost men in the rural district of Clinton County. Each year Mr. Campbell feeds about six hundred sheep for market, and also gives some attention to other lines of live stock.
Mr. and Mrs. Campbell have two children: Lillie R., who is a student in the Kidder Institute, and James H., who was born May 18, 1893, was educated at Kidder, and in 1913 married Sarah Warner of Clinton County. He is one of the successful young farming men of this vicinity.
[A History of Northwest Missouri, Volume 2; edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1918; Donated and Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack]

A. D. CAPPS; farmer and stock raiser, section 26, postoffice Stewartsville, was born June 23, 1831, in Clay County, Missouri, and was reared at his birthplace, spending his boyhood days on a farm, and received the benefits of a good common school education. He has devoted his attention chiefly to farming during life. He moved to Clinton County, in 1852, and settled below Plattsburg, where he engaged in farming and stock raising. During the war, he enlisted in the southern army in 1861, under General Price, and served for about six months, taking part in the battles of Lexington, Pea Ridge and many minor engagements. He took a trip to Denver, Colorado, in 1863, and spent about one year in the mountains, returned home, and subsequently moved to Nebraska City, in 1864, corning to Clay County in the fall of 1865, where he remained until he moved to Clinton County, in the spring of 1867. The county was then thinly settled. He commenced to improve his farm, which now contains 220 acres of land, well improved, upon which is a large orchard. Mr. C. has filled the township offices, of school director and road overseer several terms. He was a candidate before the Democratic Convention, in 1878, for County Judge, and was defeated, only by a small majority. Being an old settler, he is widely and favorably known. He was married, December, 16, 1862, to Miss Julia Pickett, an estimable lady, a native of Clay County, Missouri, born October 9, 1834. They have had four children: Mary E. (now Mrs. Wm. J. Francis), Henriette, Katie and Daniel H. Himself and wife, and their daughters, are members of the Presbyterian Church. Mr. C. united with the church in 1854, and was soon afterwards elected a ruling elder, which position he still holds.
[Source: The History of Clinton County Missouri; Publ. 1881 by O. P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack]

WILLIAM H. CARR; stock raiser, Osborn, was born December, 8, 1838, in Loudoun County, Virginia, and was reared there as a farmer, receiving a common school education. He removed west in the fall of 1855, and settled in Howard County, Missouri, where he remained until 1865, then moving to Osborn. During the late war, he enlisted in Company F, Ninth Missouri State Cavalry in March, 1862, and served until the close of the war, taking part in many hard fought battles, among which are Moore's Mills, Kirksville, Yellow Creek, and others. He rose from the position of sergeant to second lieutenant. At the close of the war, he engaged in farming, near Osborn, in which he continued for seven years, and then turned his attention to stock raising exclusively. On account of poor health, he has partially retired from active business life. He has filled the position of school director several terms. Mr. Carr was married, October 20, 1866, to Miss Matilda Perkins, a daughter of one of the oldest and best known residents of Clinton County. She was born October 20, 1844, in this county. They have had five children, three of whom are living: Celia C, John C. and Josephus S. Mr. C. has been a member of the M. E. Church since he was twenty-one years of age. Since 1867 he has belonged to the Masonic fraternity.
[Source: The History of Clinton County Missouri; Publ. 1881 by O. P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack]  

CHARLES S. CARTER; minister and farmer, section 19, post office Osborn, was born December 3, 1819, in Boone County, Kentucky. His ancestors were natives of Virginia. Charles was reared at his birthplace, spending his boyhood days on a farm, and receiving a preparatory education in the common schools, which he completed at Georgetown College. He united with the Missionary Baptist Church, in 1842, and, at the urgent request of friends, attended a seminary for the purpose of preparing for the ministry. He received a license to preach, in 1843, and in 1846, he entered the Georgetown College where he finished his collegiate course, and was regularly ordained to the Baptist ministry. Mr. C. then returned to Boone County, and taught the Billetsburg Seminary two years, after which he engaged in teaching at various places in that vicinity, and also supplied the pulpit, quite frequently, at Middlesex Church. About the year 1852, he was called to the pastorate of East Bend Church, and remained in charge there about twenty-five years. During this time, he purchased a farm on the Ohio River, forty miles below Cincinnati, on which he settled. Soon afterwards, he lost his wife, who left two small children, and, consequently, he gave up farming and engaged in teaching until 1861, when he again resumed farming. He came west in the spring of 1876, and settled in Clinton County, where he has since resided. He owns a fine farm of 120 acres, partially improved. Mr. Carter took charge of Garden Prairie Church, in De Kalb County, in 1878, and also preached, once a month, at Smith Fork Church during the year 1880. He and his wife joined Smith Fork Church soon after coming here. He has been twice married. First, May 20, 1851, to Miss Mary A. Birkshire, a native of Boone County, Kentucky. She died November 20, 1854, and left two children: Eugenia (now Mrs. H.C. McGlasson), and Mary E. (now Mrs. George R. White.) He was married again April 2, 1861, to Miss Rosette Miller, a native of Ohio County, Indiana, born September 19, 1839. They have had five children, three of whom are living: Kate E., Joseph M., and John W.
[Source: The History of Clinton County Missouri; Publ. 1881 by O. P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack]

B. J. CASTEEL; attorney and counselor at law, Osborn, was born October 14, 1851, in Sevier County, Arkansas, and was taken to Monroe County, Tennessee, by his parents when about nine months old. He was there raised and spent his boyhood days on a farm, and after receiving a preparatory education in the common schools entered Hiwassee College, from which he was graduated in 1860. He read law in the Lebanon Law School, and was admitted to the bar of Tennessee in 1871, before he was of age. He came west in the fall of 1872, and settled at Osborn, and was immediately admitted to the bar of Missouri, after which he commenced practicing and has since continued it. He was elected county attorney of DeKalb County, Missouri, in 1874, and re-elected in 1876. His practice extends through DeKalb and Clinton counties, and is quite large. He owns one of the finest residences in Osborn. Mr. C. is a member of the Knights of Pythias. In his manners he is much of a gentleman, and merits the esteem in which he is held by a large circle of acquaintances. He was married March 15, 1876, to Miss Belle Gibbany, an estimable lady, and a native of Lexington, Kentucky. She was born on the 17th of December, 1856, and was principally raised in Missouri. They have had two children—Ethel M. and Walter L. Himself and wife are active members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, of which denomination Mr. C. has been a member since he was ten years of age. He has held the position of superintendent of the Sabbath School for four or five years, and is one of the most active workers therein.
[Source: The History of Clinton County Missouri; Publ. 1881 by O. P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack]  

AARON CHARLES; carpenter and builder, was born in Bucks County, Pennsylvania, June 28, 1818. His educational advantages were limited, yet by his own exertions he has become a good business man. He learned the carpenter's trade in Philadelphia, serving an apprenticeship of four years, and afterwards became a competent builder. He erected many buildings in Pennsylvania, and, in 1856, moved to Illinois, and there he engaged in building. In 1868, came to Lathrop, Missouri, at the time that the town was started. Here he has built many of its best structures, among which is the M. E. Church, of which he is an active member. Mr. C. has a fine residence, and ten acres, just outside of the city corporation. His first wife was Miss Catharine Layman, whom he married in Philadelphia. By this marriage they had two children, Lewis and Emma. He was again married, to Miss Ann Perrigo, in Iriquois County, Illinois, June 24, 1863. They have by this marriage two daughters, Minnie L. and Susan Louisa. He is a member of the Lathrop Masonic Lodge, and loves to live by the precepts the order teaches.
(Source:  The History of Clinton County Missouri; published 1881; O.P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack)

ROBERT E. CHONSTANP; editor and publisher of the Lathrop Herald, was born in Roanoke, Howard County, Missouri, August 31, 1854. He received a good education in his native town, and also at the schools of Kingston. When quite young he entered his father's store as a clerk, in which he remained for some time, and then, at the age of seventeen, he entered the office of the Kingston Sentinel, where he learned the printers' trade. He has worked at that business in St. Joseph, Davenport (Iowa), New York, Philadelphia, and St. Louis, and has become a proficient workman. In 1874, he bought the Caldwell Citizen of Kingston and published it for three years. In 1877, after selling out, he took charge of a drug store for eighteen months. During all these years he had been reading law at his leisure hours, and in the fall of 1878 he entered the law office of Chapman & Hoskinson, when he studied hard for two years and in 1880 was admitted to practice by Judge Broudders, of the Seventeenth Judicial Circuit. In April, 1880, after being admitted, he went to Lathrop, Clinton County, and started the Lathrop Herald, in the publication of which he has done a successful business, and secured a large circulation. In June, 1880, he was appointed one of the census enumerators for this county, and received the diploma offered for the most correct, systematic, and neatly executed returns of the seventh supervisor's district of the state, consisting of 304 enumeration districts.
(Source:  The History of Clinton County Missouri; published 1881; O.P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack)

ROBERT ELLIS CLARK.
Coming to Colorado for the benefit of his health when he was but nineteen, and being doubly orphaned by the death of both parents, and having already for six years been making his own living, Robert Ellis Clark, of Steamboat Springs, has by indomitable energy and perseverance, and through natural ability which made him capable and a cheerful and courageous disposition that made him willing for any sort of work, won his way to consequence and a substantial estate and a high place in the regard and good will of his fellow men.  He is a native of Clinton county, Missouri, born near Lathrop on June 23, 1859, and the son of Robert P. and Delilah (Long) Clark, the former born in Kentucky and the latter in Ohio.  Soon after their marriage they settled in Missouri, and here they passed the remainder of their lives, the mother dying in June, 1863, and the father in August, 1872.  They were industrious and comfortable farmers and of their nine children seven grew to maturity and are living, John L., Peter H., David M., Elizabeth, James M., Robert E. and George J. After the death of his father Robert E., then but thirteen years old, began to make his own living by working on farms for very small wages.  After six years of this exacting and poorly paid toil, his health began to fail, and he sought the benefits of a more salubrious climate in this state, coming hither in 1878 and locating at Georgetown.  He remained there a year, then set out of foot for Leadville.  However, he was obliged to return to Georgetown, where he remained until July 5, 1879, when he started with three of his brothers for Steamboat Springs.  They journeyed with teams by way of Middle and at Rand saw the last house until they reached the Springs.  The hardships and privations along the route were many, and young men less determined might have been forced to abandon their purpose and return to a region nearer the centers of civilization in the state.  But they persevered, and found they were wise in doing so, as the region to which they came was full of promise and furnished them with good opportunities for advancement.  After their arrival at Steamboat Springs Mr. Clark carried the mails between that point and Hayden and Rock Creek, continuing until September 29, 1879, when he was forced to stop because of the Indian outbreak of that period.  Then for a time he served as a herder of horses, and during the winters of 1879 and 1880 the people of the section received no mail except when he was able to travel on snow shoes to and from Hahn’s Peak, there being but three deliveries between September 3, 1880, and the summer of 1881.  In the summer last named he began raising cattle, which he continued until 1896, when the panic caused him to quit the business.  After this disaster, with characteristic energy, instead of bewailing his losses, he opened a general blacksmithing business at Steamboat Springs, of which the special feature has been and is horseshoeing.  He is well skilled in this branch of his craft and has been very successful in winning and holding a large trade.  While sparsity of population in the region made his progress in this enterprise somewhat slow for awhile, it was steady and kept laying an ever increasing scope of country under tribute to his forage, as he applied both brain and brawn to his labor and soon demonstrated that he was intelligent in it as well as industrious.  His shop is now one of the valued institutions in the industrial life of the town and enjoys a wide and a high reputation.  Game was abundant when he settled here and the wild country, undeveloped as it was, furnished freely and abundantly many of the necessities of life and some of its luxuries, so that while work was hard and its returns were slow, a comfortable living was not difficult to get.  Fraternally Mr. Clark belongs to the Odd Fellows and the Woodmen of the World.  Politically he has always supported the Democratic party with ardor.  He was married on December 18, 1886, to Miss Nellie Fisk, a native of Wisconsin, and the daughter of A. Fisk, a sketch of whom appears on another page of this work.  They have five children, DeEtte, Delilah, Terrelia, Trevinia and Leneve.
(Source: Progressive Men of Western Colorado, Publ 1905. Transcribed by Anna Parks)

CORNELIUS H. CLAWATER; farmer, section 21, post office Stewartsville. The subject of this sketch is an aged man, whose head has been frosted by many winters. For several months he has been disabled from performing any physical labor, on account of paralysis. He is a native of Ulster County, New York, and was born January 2, 1810. When an infant, he, with his parents, moved to Lycoming, (now Trenton), County, Pennsylvania, where he was reared to manhood. While a young man he learned the blacksmith trade, which he followed as his occupation for seven years. He was then employed by the Pennsylvania Canal for a period of time, his duty being the sharpening of tools, and blasting. He was afterwards connected with a railroad company as superintendent of bridge work, for four years. In the year 1842, Mr. C. emigrated to Missouri, and located in Clinton County, near Plattsburg, where he resided for ten years, when he moved to his present location. Since coming to Missouri, he has been engaged in agricultural pursuits, and now has a farm of 150 acres. He was married February 10, 1846, to Mrs. Mary E. Smith, (her maiden name was Peck), and she was born in North Carolina in January, 1817, and died in 1875. Their family consists of four children living: William J., Jane E., Sarah S. and Fannie E. Mr. C. is a member of the Presbyterian Church.
(Source:  The History of Clinton County Missouri; published 1881; O.P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack)

W. T. CLAY; farmer and raiser of blooded stock, section 31, post office Bainbridge. Although a young man, he is, nevertheless, one of our largest and representative farmers and stock raisers. He is a native of Missouri, and was born in this county October 13, 1854. He was raised upon the place he now occupies, and has 280 acres of land that will compare favorably with any in the county. He and his father, who is his partner in the blooded stock business, have 680 acres of land, making one of the finest stock forms in the state. They have a large herd of short horns on their place. Mr. C. was married December 23, 1875, to Miss Dora Hockaday. They are members of the Christian Church.
(Source:  The History of Clinton County Missouri; published 1881; O.P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack)

H. H. CLEPPER; farmer and stock feeder, section 31, post office Lathrop. The subject of this sketch is a native of Michigan, and was born on a farm on the 2d day of August, 1832. He received a good common school education, and, at the age of eighteen, went to California, where he spent two years, and then returned to his home and made his parents a visit of several months. He next removed to Minnesota, and farmed for ten years. Closing out business, he located at Rockford, near Grand Rapids, Michigan, devoting his time to the grocery business, in connection with farming. This he continued for twelve years, when he closed out and went to Sherman, Texas, entering into the hotel and grocery business. After some two years, he unfortunately lost by fire property to the amount of $6,000, including all household and personal effects. Removing to Emporia, Kansas, he remained two years, and there gave his children a good education. He then moved to Clinton County in 1880, where he now resides, owning a fine farm of 100 acres, well improved. Mr. C. was united in marriage, on the 18th day of August, 1857, with Miss Laura Scorell, a native of Schuyler County, New York. The family consists of five children: Fred, Mary J., John L., Eva G. and Nellie.
(Source:  The History of Clinton County Missouri; published 1881; O.P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack)

JAMES R. COFFMAN; was born in Kentucky June 10, 1820, and came to the present site of Hainesville, Clinton County, Missouri, with his mother and grandmother in 1828. The latter was a native of Germany and lived to be 107 years old, dying in Hainesville in 1844. His mother lived to the advanced age of 93, and died in the spring of 1877. Mr. C. was married to Man Richardson, who was born February 22, 1825. She died July 10, 1860, leaving five children: David R. A., James K. P., Mary C., Samuel P. and George W. Judge C. was one of the first children to be brought to this county. He here grew to manhood, and early became a leading and influential member of the Democratic Party. He was elected county judge in 1857, and with him were associated Judges Scott and Willis. Their weights were respectively, 240, 360 and 260 pounds, and they were known as the heaviest court ever in the county. The judge's early educational advantages were limited, yet he was possessed of remarkable energy and perseverance. His opinion on all common law questions was eagerly sought after and carefully adhered to among the citizens of Hainesville. He had a large farm adjoining the village, consisting of 366 acres, with one of the best, if not the best, orchard in the county. He also had 109 acres in an adjoining section, 640 acres in Arkansas, and 1,100 acres in Kansas. Successful in his land speculations, he was never fortunate as a farmer, his especial point being in trading, buying and selling, or dealing in stock. This was his principal business for many years. The judge was a friend to the poor, and was spoken of by all as one of the most liberal of men, notably so when circumstances required it. Judge C. came to his death by being thrown from a wagon, living only a few hours. He died August 3, 1881, at the Lathrop House.
(Source:  The History of Clinton County Missouri; published 1881; O.P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack)

CAPTAIN ALEXANDER C. COOK; was born in Lincoln County, Kentucky, June 17, 1831. He is the first child, and only son of a family of five children. His father, James Cook, a native of Virginia, emigrated to Kentucky in the year 1800, and settled in Lincoln County, where his children were afterwards born. He died in May, 1841; and his widow afterwards married Colonel Hubbard. Captain Cook was educated in the neighborhood schools, and finally, in Lancaster Academy, in Garrard County, Kentucky. In October, 1849, he moved, with his step-father. Colonel Moses Hubbard, and family, to Clay County, Missouri. In the spring of 1850, Alexander settled in Jackson Township, four miles northwest of Hainesville, on the head waters of Clear Creek. January, 1856, he moved to his present residence in what was then La Fayette Township, but now (1881) Platte Township," where he has since continued to reside. October 21, 1852, he married Miss Mary Anne Bivins, daughter of David M. Bivins, of Clay County, who settled there, from Kentucky, in 1834. They have had eight children, of whom four survive, three sons, James M., David B., Alex. Riley, and a daughter, Mary Drusilla. Three daughters and a son are dead. A. C. Cook enlisted in the Confederate service, and served during the entire war; first, in Boyd's Battalion of State Guard, and then in Reeves' Regiment, Little's Brigade, Confederate troops. He achieved, successively, the grades of lieutenant and captain, in this service. At the close of the war, he was in Shelby's command, to which he had attached himself in March, 1865, and was among those paroled at Shreveport, Louisiana, June 14, 1865, when he returned to his home in Missouri. Captain Cook was a member, from Clinton County, of the Thirtieth General Assembly of the State of Missouri. He has long been prominently active in the advancement and development of the resources of his county, and prides himself in the fact that he was the presiding officer of the first farmers' club ever organized in the county. (This was at Fairview school house, Concord Township in August, 1869.) This organization preserved its existence till it merged into the grange movement, of which he has continued an active member, and now (1881) is county deputy and lecturer. Originally a Whig, Captain Cook early affiliated with the Democratic Party, of which he has since been an active member. He has been a member of the Christian Church since 1846, when he was immersed, by Elder John R. White, in Garrard County, Kentucky. He has been a member of Bethany Congregation of Disciples since its organization, in 1860, and for the past twelve years, has been an elder in the same.
[Source: The History of Clinton County Missouri; Publ. 1881 by O. P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack]

Eldon E. Cook. An industrious, practical and progressive agriculturist, Eldon E. Cook, of Platte Township, holds a position of prominence among the leading farmers of Clinton County as proprietor of Hillcrest Stock Farm, carrying on an extensive and lucrative business. His estate of 450 acres is one of the best and most attractive in the township, its improvements being of much value, the barn, seventy feet by seventy feet, with posts twenty feet in height, ranking among the largest in this part of the county, and well adapted for the housing of hay, grain and stock. A son of David B. Cook, he was born, October 11, 1883, in Platte Township, of honored pioneer ancestry.
His paternal grandfather, Alexander C. Cook, was born in Kentucky, which was also the birthplace of his father, James Cook, whose immigrant ancestor came from England to America, locating in the South. Coming to Missouri when young, he subsequently became a pioneer of Platte Township, and having purchased wild land, partly cleared and improved the homestead now owned and occupied by his son, David B. Cook. He married, in Clay County, Missouri, Mary A. Bivens, and they became the parents of eight children, four of them being sons. He lived on the farm which he cleared until his death, at the age of seventy-one years. He was an elder in the Christian church, and a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. His widow now lives in Plattsburg, an active woman of seventy-eight years.
David B. Cook was born in Jackson Township, Missouri, December 27, 1855. He first attended the district schools, later fitting himself for a professional career at Jewell College, in Liberty. He subsequently taught school several terms, as a teacher being quite successful. In 1882 he settled on a farm of 240 acres, and has since been prosperously employed in stock raising and general farming, having a well-improved and well stocked farm. He is a man of strong personality, firm in his convictions, and is an active member of the Christian church, and a great worker in the Sunday school. On October 5, 1881, he was united in marriage with Laura Everett, a daughter of the late William Everett, and into their pleasant home five children have been born, namely: Eldon E., the subject of this brief sketch; Mabel W., wife of Ernest E. Tupes, engaged in civil engineering in Chicago; Mary F.; Rebecca L. and W. A..
Growing to manhood on the home farm, Eldon E. Cook developed a fine physique as a boy, and after his graduation from the Plattsburg High School took up the study of engineering in Rolla, completing the course. Agriculture, however, had more attractions for him, and he is now successfully engaged in raising hay, grain and stock on one of the best improved and best managed farms in Platte Township, as mentioned above.
Mr. Cook married, October 6, 1909, Bessie McWilliams, a daughter of G. F. and Elizabeth (Busey) McWilliams, of Lafayette Township, and they are the parents of two children, Elizabeth and Laura M. Mr. Cook is a member of the Christian church and Mrs. Cook is a member of the Baptist church. They are prominent in the social affairs of their community, their home being ever open to their many friends and acquaintances.
[A History of Northwest Missouri, Volume 2; edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1918; Donated and Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack]

THOMAS J. COOK; section 7, post office Stewartsville, is a native of Shelby County, Kentucky, and was born on the 17th day of October, 1846, on a farm. At the age of fifteen years, he came to Missouri, accompanied by his elder brother, and settled in Buchanan County, where he remained five years, and then came to Clinton County, in 1865. In 1867, he sold his property, consisting of only a saddle horse, and entered college, where he pursued his studies for one year. He then returned to his home, and devoted his time in herding stock to enable him to procure funds to complete his education. In 1868-9, he taught school, and, in the latter year, entered the William Jewell College, and continued his studies for two years. He was united in marriage, on the 10th day of February, 1870, to Miss Marceline Jones, a native of Georgia, born on the 13th of January, 1856. She moved to Buchanan County, Missouri, in 1867, and to Clinton County in 1871. Mrs. Cook was educated at St. Joseph. Their family consists of Grace, M. Hope, James B., Walter S., and Eugene, deceased.
(Source:  The History of Clinton County Missouri; published 1881; O.P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack)

E. W. COOPER; farmer, section 36, is a native of North Carolina, and was born May 17, 1820, and came to Missouri in 1844. His farm consists of 230 acres of land in a good state of cultivation, and he has proved himself a successful agriculturist. Politically, he is a staunch Republican, and during the late war was a member of Capt. Rogers' company of militia. As a citizen he has been upright, reliable, and honorable, and has secured in an eminent degree the respect of his fellow-men. In his religious preferences he is a Presbyterian, and he is an active member and liberal contributor to that society. He married Miss Ann Pincy, a native of North Carolina, in July, 1847.  They have a family of nine children, Mary M. (now Mrs. H. Hick), Martha (now Mrs. Wm, Lankford), John W., Susan E. (now Mrs. J. W. Douglass), Celia A., Jeanette (now Mrs. James Douglass), Wm. S., and Dora J. Mr. C. has taken great interest in the improvement of his stock, and his herds will equal any in this district.
(Source:  The History of Clinton County Missouri; published 1881; O.P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack)

PATRICK COURTNEY; farmer and stock raiser, section 5, post office Plattsburg. The subject of this sketch is a native of Ireland, and was born on St. Patrick's Day, March 17, 1822, and in honor of the day he was named Patrick. At the age of 28, he emigrated to this country, settling in Kentucky, and after remaining there about three years, he moved to Indiana, where he made his home for five years. In 1859, he again came west, and settled in Kansas, where he remained about six years, and, in 1866, emigrated to this county, settling where he now resides. Mr. C. has had varied changes in life, but this has enabled him to profit by his own, as well as the experience of others. He is one of our successful farmers, and an honest and affable gentleman. He was married in the fall of 1852, to Miss Ellen Burns. The result of this union was six children: John, now deceased; Ellen, now deceased; Bridget, now deceased; Mollie, now deceased; William P. and Mary A. Three died in infancy. They are members of the Catholic Church.
(Source:  The History of Clinton County Missouri; published 1881; O.P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack)

Darl B. Cross. A prominent lawyer of Lathrop, Clinton County, Darl B. Cross, of the firm of Cross & Sons, is a man of culture and ability, thoroughly versed in the intricacies of the law, and, with his partners, has conducted and won many suits of importance and note since beginning the practice of his profession. The youngest son of John A. Cross, of whom a brief biographical sketch appears elsewhere in this volume, he was born in Caldwell County, Missouri, July 9, 1879.
But four years old when he was brought by his parents to Lathrop, Darl B. Cross attended the common and high schools of this place, and subsequently studied dentistry, which he practiced successfully for a few years. Unable, however, to resist the lure of the law, he began its study under the tuition of his father, and on April 15, 1905, was admitted to the Missouri bar. A close student, with access to the large and well selected law library of his father, Mr. Cross has gained an excellent knowledge of his chosen profession, and built up a large and lucrative general practice, as a member of the widely known legal firm of Cross & Sons having a position of note in legal circles. Genial and courteous in manner, and hearty and sincere in expression, he has won a host of friends and clients, all of whom speak a good word for him at all times and in all places.
Mr. Cross married, November 22, 1904, at Plattsburg, Missouri, Miss Catherine Shikles, a daughter of William Shikles, of whom further account may be found on another page of this work. Mr. and Mrs. Cross have one child, John A. Cross, second. Mr. Cross has served as city attorney seven years. Fraternally he is a member of the Knights of Pythias, and of the Fraternal Order of Eagles.
[A History of Northwest Missouri, Volume 2; edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1918; Donated and Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack]

 

Hon. Pross T. Cross. A prominent and influential citizen of Lathrop, Clinton County, Mr. Cross occupies a position of note among the leading attorneys of Northwest Missouri. Although he has scarce reached manhood's prime, he won a record as a lawyer and legislator equalled by but few men in the state of his age. Elected to the Forty ninth General Assembly of Missouri, in 1905, Mr. Cross served with distinction in that body for six years, part of which time he was the official and accredited leader of his party on the floor of the house. He was the sponsor of and introduced more bills than any other member of the house. His measures were generally aimed the abuses of the railroads and kindred corporations, and they secured for Mr. Cross the hatred and opposition of the combined railroad and corporation lobby of the state. A noted Missouri lawyer once stated that the bills which Mr. Cross introduced and secured the passage of in the Legislature of Missouri, had cost the railroads in the state millions of dollars annually. His power and influence in the assembly was most remarkable and generally recognized and conceded by all. As a testimonial of the regard in which Mr. Cross' legislative ability was held by the daily press of the state, we quote the following from the St. Louis Star, of March 3, 1909:
“It is unusual but true that there is not a representative dating enough to cross parliamentary lances with Pross Cross of Clinton. Cross is the minority floor leader and is the best informed member of the body on parliamentary law. There are of course many new members who never engaged in a game of nip and tuck with Cross, but they heard the older members talk about him and they are willing to believe what they heard about him. Cross is a strong debater and a lucid talker. He has seen much service here and knows the rules of the house by heart and back again."
Some of the more important bills introduced in the Missouri Legislature by Mr. Cross, and passed by that body, were the following:
A bill to increase the amount of damages in case of death caused by railroads from five thousand dollars to ten thousand dollars.
A bill to reduce the passenger fare on railroads in Missouri to two cents per mile. The old rate was three cents.
A bill to prevent railroads from removing cases from state to federal courts. (This act was finally held void by the United States Supreme Court.)
A bill to make causes of action for tort survive the death of the person bringing the same.
A bill to increase the jurisdiction of the appellate courts.
A bill to prevent insurance companies from removing suits brought against them in the courts of the state to the federal courts. (This bill was sustained by the highest court in the land.)
Mr. Cross studied law under the guidance of his father, Hon. John A. Cross, and was admitted to the bar at the age of eighteen. He immediately entered actively into the practice of the law. Although his father was the attorney for most of the railroads in the county and had defended them in the courts of the county for more than twenty years, yet young Cross feelings and leaning were on the other side and he preferred to advocate the cause of the "section-hand" or "widow" rather than that of the powerful railway corporation. Mr. Cross has acquired the reputation of being among the most successful lawyers of the state in handling of personal injury and damage cases. He is widely known throughout Northwest Missouri as an able and skillful lawyer, his legal practice being very extensive and remunerative.
Mr. Cross in 1897 married Miss Nina Peel, and they have three interesting children, namely: Gerald, Laura and Mary. Mr. Cross is a member of the Masonic, Knights of Pythias and Woodman lodges.
[A History of Northwest Missouri, Volume 2; edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1918; Donated and Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack]

A. J. CULBERTSON, M. D.; dealer in general merchandise, is a native of North Carolina, and was born in Wake County, July 4, 1840. While an infant, his parents moved to Clay County, Missouri, where, in a short, time, they died. A. J. was then taken to Gentry County, where he was reared. He was partly educated in that county, and, in 1859, he came to Stewartsville, where he attended Stewartsville College for one year. He followed teaching in Clinton, DeKalb and Gentry Counties for some length of time. In 1862, he enlisted in the enrolled militia, and for one year was hospital steward at St. Joseph. He was then made lieutenant, and in the summer of 1864, he re-enlisted in Company C, Forty-third United States Infantry, and served as lieutenant till the close of the war, when he returned to Stewartsville. Having previously prepared himself for the medical profession, he began in the practice of his profession, and in the drug business. He continued the latter till 1876, when he commenced in his present business. He also continued the practice of medicine till 1879. Being the fortunate possessor of a host of acquaintances, he commands a large and lucrative patronage. Dr. C. was married in the year 1862, to Miss Mary Barnes, of Indiana, who was born in October, 1837. She died May 8, 1868. They had two children, both of whom are now deceased. He was again married October 4, 1869, to Miss N. Valdenear, of Missouri. She was born in the year 1852. Dr. C. is a Mason and a member of Stewartsville Lodge No. 182, and Russell Royal Arch Chapter, No. TJ. He also belongs to the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and is a member of Stewartsville Lodge, No. 137.
(Source:  The History of Clinton County Missouri; published 1881; O.P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack)

 

Return to

Clinton County

Missouri

Genealogy Trails

Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.