Welcome to...
Clinton County, Missouri

Biographies
~ D ~

S. H. DANIEL; section 6, post office Stewartsville. The subject of this sketch, familiarly known as "Sam," was born at Shelbyville, Shelby County, Kentucky, on the 24th of August, 1835, on a farm. His educational advantages were excellent, and in the fall of 1843, he, with his parents, moved to the southeastern part of Buchanan County, Missouri, there locating on a farm. His father died when Sam. was but sixteen years of age, and left his mother with the care of quite a family. S. H. assumed the responsibility of caring for the family, and carried on farming. When eighteen years of age, he made a trip to New Mexico, as a freighter, and returned and continued farming. In 1859, he again crossed the plains to Salt Lake City, being interested in a merchant's train, and, subsequently, returned by a pack train. He then devoted his time to tilling the soil, and speculating in live stock and at various times would make shipments east. In the summer of 1865, in connection with J. D. Clasbey, he fitted out a wagon train, loaded it with government corn, and delivered it at Fort Halleck, Dakota Territory, a distance of 850 miles, receiving a competency of $15.00 per hundred, as freightage. After returning, he resumed his business as a live stock merchant, and, for many years, was one of the heaviest shippers in Northwest Missouri. In June, 1878, he accepted the position of live stock agent for the Wabash Railway Company, his headquarters being at St. Joseph, Missouri. Mr. Daniel is a member in good standing, of the Masonic fraternity, both Blue Lodge and Chapter, at Stewartsville. His home consists of 200 acres of land, well improved in every respect. He was married on the 10th day of September, 1861, to Miss Elizabeth F. McWilliams, a native of Missouri. The family of Mr. and Mrs. D. consists of: Willie, born May 20, 1862, James, born March 19, 1864, Dollie M., born October 8, 1866, Oria A., born February 18, 1869, and died August 31, 1871, Pinkie, born February 10, 1871, Joel, born February 10, 1873, Maude, born November 13, 1876.
(Source:  The History of Clinton County Missouri; published 1881; O.P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack)

J. O. DANIELS; proprietor of the Lathrop House, was born in Grafton County, New Hampshire, May 17, 1829. When he was twenty-one years old he went to Boston, Massachusetts, and obtained the position of baggage master on the Boston and Fitchburg Railroad, where he remained three years, discharging the duties in a satisfactory manner. He then came to Indianapolis, Indiana, and accepted the position of conductor on the Indianapolis and Lafayette Railroad," and remained with them for five years, when he accepted a similar position on the Illinois Central, and remained eight years. In 1863, he started a lumber yard at Odin, Illinois and lived there three years. After the completion of the Hannibal and St. Joseph Railroad, in November, 1867, he came to Lathrop and opened a lumber yard, and was the first settler in the town. (See History of Lathrop) He has been engaged in many enterprises here, all having an influence to build up Lathrop. He purchased several lots and improved them with good substantial residences. He had the contract for building the brick school building, which is an ornament to the city. He published the Lathrop Monitor, which did much to bring the eastern part of Clinton County into the notice of actual settlers. In 1877, he purchased the Lathrop House, which he has since kept, and it is not saying too much to state that no hotel in the county is more favorably known or more deserving of popular favor, it being the cheerful home of the weary traveler. In 1880, he was appointed land agent of the Hannibal and St. Joseph Railroad, having charge of their lands and lots. He represents several of the best insurance companies, and does a large amount of the insurance business. He has always taken a deep interest in educational enterprises, and has been and is now one of the school board.  Has been liberal in contributing to every enterprise which goes to build up the city. He married Miss Julia H. Now land, in St. Louis, Missouri, in March, 1866. They have six children: Frank Now land, Ann May, Kate Raymond, Hattie Bell, Charles B. and John Newton.
(Source:  The History of Clinton County Missouri; published 1881; O.P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack)

G. W. DAWSON; farmer and stock raiser, section 11, post office Plattsburg, although not one of the oldest pioneers, is, nevertheless, a man who has figured conspicuously in the agricultural and stock rising interests of Northwest Missouri. He is a native of Bourbon County, Kentucky, and was born October 7, 1833. He was raised in the occupation he now follows, and received a good public school education. At the age of twenty-three, he emigrated to Missouri, settling in Clay County, in 1865, from whence he removed to this county, and located where he now resides. He has a fine residence on his place, and his farm consists of 1,090 acres of some of the best land that the county contains, most of it being in a high state of cultivation. As a stock raiser, he is widely known. He has a herd of short horns second to none in this district. He has done much towards raising the grade of stock generally. Mr. D. was married June 17, 1856, to Miss Georgia McCoun. They have had seven children: Mary L., Allie O. (deceased), Carrie P., John L., George C, James P. and Sallie B. Mr. D. is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and also belongs to the Christian Church, and is one of the original members of Fairview Church, of this township.
(Source:  The History of Clinton County Missouri; published 1881; O.P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack)

GEORGE DELANEY; blacksmith, farmer and stock raiser, is a native of Crab Orchard, Lincoln County, Kentucky, and was born on the l0th day of December, 1840. He received a common school education, and at the age of sixteen years, commenced learning the trade of blacksmith with James Hendricks. He continued in this gentleman's employ for three years, when, having mastered his trade, he went to Lexington and worked two years. Thence to Terre Haute, Indiana, where he worked for two years, and then moved to Elbridge, Illinois, remaining one summer. His next move was to Cainesville, Harrison County, Missouri, where he carried on business for seven years, then selling out. He went to Stewartsville, DeKalb County, Missouri, remained ten months, and then came to this county in 1873. Here he has since resided, and is now the owner of 175 acres of well improved land, situated in section 4. Mr. D. is a charter member o1 Stewartsville Lodge, I. O. O. F. He was united in marriage to Miss S. M. Dyerle, a native of this state, and by this union they have a family of seven children: Katie, Oda D., Ollie C, Nora W., Ada M., B. B. and Emma W.
(Source:  The History of Clinton County Missouri; published 1881; O.P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack)

GEORGE DENNY; farmer and stock raiser, is the owner of 266 acres, on sections 21 and 22. He was born in North Carolina, in 1826, and came to Missouri, with his father, in 1835, settling in Clay County, where he remained for two years. In 1837, the family moved into Clinton County. In 1850, with Judge Coffman and John Douglass, George Denny went to California, where he remained two years, being successful in his business. He then returned home, bought a drove of cattle, took them to California in 1854, and again remained two years. Returning in 1856, he bought the old homestead, and ha s lived on it since. He married Miss Virginia Snoddy of this county, in 1868. They have four children: Rufus A., Ralph K., Nancy Jane and Virginia Susan. Mrs. Denny died January 1, 1875. Mr. Denny is one of the best stock men in the county; has a farm well adapted to raising and feeding stock. He spent two years in Montana and Salt Lake City, and has been successful in all his speculations, making good use of his means. George Denny, Sr., the father of the subject of this sketch, died at the residence of the latter, March 24, 1879, in his ninety-sixth year. Father Denny, as he used to be called, was born February 15, 1784, in Guilford County, North Carolina. His ancestors were originally a part of a Presbyterian colony, which settled in that county in the days of his grandfather, and organized the Buffalo Presbyterian Church, noted as being under the pastoral care of Rev. David Caldwell, D. D., for a period of sixty years. Mr. Denny was married, January 14, 1808, to Jane Kennedy, who died January 10, 1866, in the seventy-seventh year of her age. Shortly after their marriage, they united with the Buffalo Church. Mr. D. emigrated to Missouri, with his family, in 1835. In 1837, he settled on the farm, in Clinton County, where he died, four sons and three daughters surviving him. His funeral service was held in the Old Bethel Church. His remains were tenderly laid away in the church yard, by the side of his beloved wife. His children, and his children’s' children, to the fourth generation, were present at the solemn service. Through nearly a century his quiet, happy and useful life flowed on. Almost to the last he was free from the infirmities of age. His form was erect, he never walked with a cane, and his eyes had but a little of the dimness of years. Always bright, sunny and cheerful, he calmly waited for the change, and then passed away. The children who survive are: Levi, William M., John A., Newton, Nancy, Mary Jane, Nitha and George.
(Source:  The History of Clinton County Missouri; published 1881; O.P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack)

NEWTON DENNY; farmer and stock raiser, is the owner of 120 acres of land on sections 2 and 11. He was born in Guilford County, North Carolina, January 21, 1817, and, with his father, George Denny, came to Clay County, Missouri, in October, 1835, locating on section 21, Jackson Township, in 1837. Newton Denny improved a farm in Clay County, which he afterwards sold, and then bought land in Clinton County. He married Miss Patsy Clark, in 1848, in Clay County. She died in 1849.  In 1852, he opened a store in Liberty, and sold goods for two years, when he moved his store to Gosneyville. There he continued in trade for two years, and sold out and went to Hainesville, in 1856. He built a steam saw and grist mill, the first of the kind erected in this section of the county, and carried it on until 1862, doing an excellent business. During the war, he moved to Illinois, and remained until the fall of 1865. He then sold out his mill, bought a farm in Clay County, and improved it and exchanged it for the farm on which he now lives, moving upon it in 1873. Mr. D. married, for his second wife, Miss Mary Ella Ellington, of Clay County, in 1866. They have three children, Thomas Jefferson, Charles E. B. and Annie L. Mr. Denny is a member of the Presbyterian Church, an upright citizen, and is respected by all who know him. His life has been an active one, and, though having met with the usual cares and perplexities of business life, he has been successful, and is possessed of a finely improved farm.
(Source:  The History of Clinton County Missouri; published 1881; O.P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack)

P. H. DEPPEN; of the firm of Anderson & Deppen, grocers and proprietors of a meat market, was born in Stark County, Ohio, February 16, 1838. He was reared on a farm, in his native county, and, in 1862, enlisted in Company B, 104th Ohio Infantry, remaining in service for eight months. He was then discharged on account of disability, and afterwards returned home, and joined the national guards, acting as second lieutenant for one year. In 1864, he moved to Buchanan County, Missouri, and located on a farm, and, in 1870, he moved to Stewartsville, where he has since principally been engaged in the mercantile trade. He was married, in September, 1863, to Miss Catherine Bair. She was born in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, in September, 1843. They have four children: Alice A., Otto E., Campbell and Bertha.
(Source:  The History of Clinton County Missouri; published 1881; O.P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack)

JOHN DOUGLASS;  extensive farmer, stock raiser and dealer, was born in Clinton County, Ohio, August 23, 1823, and, in 1837, came to Clinton County, Missouri, settling where he now lives. He received no education to speak of, and worked for a brother five years, but received no compensation, and, at the age of nineteen years, he bought 120 acres of land on credit. He then commenced life's struggles alone, first engaging in the raising of hemp and tobacco. Having been blessed with good crops, and receiving good prices for them, he was soon able to pay for his land. In 1850, he went to California, and remained two years, when he returned home and continued his farming. He bought land as opportunity presented itself, near him, until he now has one of the largest, and among the best, farms in the county. His estate embraces 1,000 acres of land, which is contained in sections 27, 28, 33, 34 and 35. In 1866, he made a kiln of bricks, and built a fine residence in the center of his farm. He has about 300 head of horses, mules and cattle, the raising of which he makes a specialty. He is a leading and active member of the Christian Church, and has contributed largely towards building a fine house of worship, on the corner of his farm, called the Bethel Church. This was erected in 1878. The society had previously made use of the Brooking school house, for twenty years. Mr. D.'s great success in life is due to his untiring energy, economy and honesty in his dealings, and the care with which he has watched over his transactions. He married Mary Ann Brown, of this county, October, 1846. They have had ten children: Jessie B., John William, Jemima Ellen, James A., Thomson McGee, Stephen A., George B. and Doc. Sherman; Anna and Mollie died while young.
(Source:  The History of Clinton County Missouri; published 1881; O.P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack)

JOHN W. DOUGLASS; farmer, stock feeder and dealer, is the owner of 320 acres of land in section 35. He was born in Lathrop Township, Clinton County, Missouri, December, 1849, and there received a good common school education. He then attended the State University at Columbia, Missouri, where he prepared himself for a useful business life. He was married to Miss Susan Cooper in June, 1874. She was the daughter of E. W. Cooper, Esq., a pioneer and a respected citizen of Lathrop. They have three children, Dorsey, Elgi, and William. The subject of this sketch is a son of John Douglass, among the earliest and now one of the most prosperous farmers in the county. The early training which he received at home has greatly enabled him to conduct his large farm and stock business in a profitable and economical manner. His land is stocked with good herds, he having from fifty to 150 head of cattle, besides a large number of hogs. He bought his farm of the railroad company, it then being a part of the company's addition to the city of Lathrop. Mr. Douglass first settled on eighty acres just south of the city, where he set out one of the most beautiful orchards in the county. Both of the railroads ran through the farm, and on that account he sold it.
(Source:  The History of Clinton County Missouri; published 1881; O.P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack)

JAMES DOWNEY, JR.; farmer and stock raiser, section 6, post office Perrin, was born December 18, 1843, in County Kerry, Ireland, and was brought to the United States by his parents, when about six years of age. They settled in Bourbon County, Kentucky, and remained there eight years. James spent his boyhood days on the farm, and received a common school education. He came west, and settled in Buchanan County, Missouri, in 1856, and, during the late war, he enlisted in Company F., Thirty-fifth Missouri Volunteer Infantry, and served until its close. He took part in the battle of Helena, Arkansas, and was with the expedition down the Yazoo Pass. About this time he received the appointment, from the Secretary of War, as hospital steward, but did not accept the position, and, at the close of the war, he was mustered out at Little Rock, Arkansas. He returned to Buchanan County, and came from there to Clinton County, in 1867. Resided here about three years, then moved to the place he now occupies, in January, 1870. He has a fine farm of ninety-one acres, improved, and also owns some graded stock. He has filled the position of school director. Mr. D. was married. October 24, 1867, to Miss Mary R. Faunteroy, a native of Missouri, born in June, 1844. They have seven children living: Thomas, Julia, John, Jane, James, Dennis and Nancy; lost three. Himself and family are members of the Catholic Church.
[Source: The History of Clinton County Missouri; Publ. 1881 by O. P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack]  

JOHN DUCOING; farmer and stock raiser, section 8, post office Stewartsville, was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, on the 8th day of June, 1833, and lived there until 1845, and then came with his parents to Buchanan County, Missouri. The following year his father enlisted in the Mexican war, and the care of the family devolved on young John. He engaged in agricultural pursuits, and continued the same until eighteen years of age, and then commenced working for a Jacob Bohart, as a farm hand. In 1852 and 1853, he was engaged in breaking prairie. On the 14th of September, 1854, he married Miss Martha Vaughn, of Clinton County, who was born on the 28th day of March, 1835, she being the first white child born in Plattsburg. He settled on a farm near his present residence. In 1863, he accepted a position as purchasing agent for Tilden, Curtis & McBath, of the American Packing Company, Chicago, and at the same time carried on his farming operations. His farm now consists of 220 acres of good land. Mr. Ducoing is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and both himself and wife are consistent church members, the former of the Christian, and the latter of the Baptist Church. Their family consists of nine children: Katie F., William A., Lucy J., Templeton J., John W., Frank B., Anna L., George D. and Martha M.
(Source:  The History of Clinton County Missouri; published 1881; O.P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack)

EDWARD DUDLEY; grain dealer, was born in Burlington County, New Jersey, in 1834, and came to Missouri in 1853. He obtained an excellent education, and was engaged in teaching school for several years. He commenced the study of medicine and continued it for a time, but never practiced it with the idea of making it a profession. Having a great desire for commercial pursuits, he learned telegraphy in 1859, and was soon engaged by the Hannibal & St. Joseph Railroad Company. He was the first telegraph operator and agent at Hamilton station east of Cameron, and was connected with that road in various positions for eighteen years. He built a store and elevator, and was the first man to start business at Turney, and for several years did a very large business. In 1879, Mr. D. moved to Lathrop, transferred his grain business and built a large elevator there. Since that time he has been doing an extended business, having handled during the past year 120,000 bushels of grain for himself, besides 50,000 bushels for other parties. Dr. Dudley was married to Miss Clementine Langdon, of Caldwell County, Missouri, in 1859. By this union they have eight children, Charles E., Wm. C, Walter H., Daniel Drew, Tolman, Flora, Ada, and Birta. Among the enterprising and leading business men of Lathrop Mr. D. ranks as one of the first. He is thoroughly posted upon all the leading topics of the day, is a fluent conversationalist and an honored member of society.
(Source:  The History of Clinton County Missouri; published 1881; O.P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack)

 

Return to

Clinton County

Missouri

Genealogy Trails

Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.