Welcome to...
Clinton County, Missouri

Biographies
~ E ~

J. C. ELLIOTT; farmer and stock raiser, section 1, post office Bainbridge, is a son of James Elliott, who was a native of Kentucky, and was born July 3, 1798. There he was raised, in the occupation of farming. He emigrated to this state in 1832, and settled on the place which his son now occupies. He had, at that time, 120 acres of land, all of which he put under cultivation. Such men cannot be spoken of too highly. He was closely identified with the growth and prosperity of this county, and was married January 14, 1833, to Miss Elizabeth Carpenter. They had, from this union, four children: Robert D., J. Carpenter, Lucrecia and Mary E. Mr. E. was one of the original members of the Baptist Church of Hardin Township. His death occurred September 14, 1878. J. C. Elliott, the subject of this sketch, is a native of Clinton County, Missouri, and, with the exception of a few years' sojourn in the west, has always lived on the place on which his father settled. He was born December 13, 1835. He succeeded his father in carrying on the old homestead, and his success may be inferred from the fact that he has increased the original purchase, since that time, to 173 acres. It is excellent land and all under cultivation. J. C. was married January 24, 1865, to Miss Semantha Knight, an -estimable lady and loving wife. They have, from this happy marriage, a family of three children: Jimmie Knight, Clifton C. and Shelby B. They are members of the Baptist Church, and contribute liberally towards its support. Mr. E. is clerk of the Pleasant Hill Baptist Church.
(Source:  The History of Clinton County Missouri; published 1881; O.P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack)

HIRAM ELROD; farmer, section 36, post office Stewartsville, was born in Ashe County, North Carolina, November 18, 1820, and was reared in his native county, and while there acted as deputy sheriff for four years. He was engaged in farming over many different parts of that state, and afterwards resided in Lee County, Virginia, for four years, there being occupied in teaching. In 1858, he moved to Arkansas, where he was engaged in farming and teaching till the breaking out of the war, and in 1862 he enlisted in the Confederate service, remaining till the close of the war. He then came to Clinton County, Missouri, where he has since resided, except during three years, when he lived in DeKalb County. Mr. E. has held the office of justice of the peace since 1876. His farm contains eighty acres of choice land. February 11, 1845, he was married to Miss Caroline Wells. She was born in Grayson County, Virginia, August 25, 1823. They have three children, Nancy F., John W., George A., and have lost seven.
(Source:  The History of Clinton County Missouri; published 1881; O.P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack)

HON. JACOB ESTEP; section 26, post office Cameron, a farmer by calling, a blacksmith by trade, and, although without political aspiration, he has nevertheless been frequently honored with preferment to places of public trust. Mr. Estep is a native of Maryland, and was born in Frederick (now Carroll) County, November 23, 1823. In 1834, his parents moved to Seneca County, Ohio, where the youth of the subject of this notice was spent, his time being divided between attending school, in winter, and assisting his father, in the summer, in clearing and making a farm. At the age of nineteen, he apprenticed himself to a blacksmith, with whom he remained for nine years. In 1850, he commenced business for himself, in the same county, as a carriage and wagon manufacturer, conducting the same successfully for seven years. July 25, 1850, Miss M. J. Culver became his wife. She was born in Seneca County, Ohio, June 14, 1829. In 1857, Mr. E. left Ohio, came to Missouri, and settled where he now lives, having purchased the land the year previous, through Governor Smith. He now owns 950 acres of land. After his coming here, he opened a shop, and, at the same time, carried on his farming operations. During the late war his sympathies were with the Federal cause, and he was commissioned by Governor Hall a lieutenant, participating in many of the engagements connected with the campaign in Missouri. In 1864, he was honored by Governor Fletcher with the appointment of county judge, serving with Judges Estes and Cooper. In 1865, he was selected by the Republicans as their standard bearer for the State Legislature. Resigning his position as judge, he made a thorough canvass of his district, and was elected by a large majority. His course at the capital fully sustained the expectation of his friends, and as a representative he has, aside from his active participation in matters of general legislation, been a watchful and conscientious guardian of the interests of his immediate constituency, whose claim to consideration he has never failed to present. Through his labors and instrumentality largely, was the change made in the school bill, whereby six months of school instead of three, were held, although Mr. E. was an advocate of seven months. His family consists of six children: Emmet H., born May 18, 1851; Ida E., born January 31, 1855; Clara B., born April 29, 1858; Minnie E., born February 16, 1863; Nettie M., born October 12, 1868; Charles S., born April 18, 1874.
(Source:  The History of Clinton County Missouri; published 1881; O.P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack)

JAMES T. ESTILL, M. D.; was born in Clinton County, Missouri, October 12, 1849. He early manifested a desire for a profession, and with this end in view, went to the common school of his district for a while, after which he entered Westminster College, at Fulton, Callaway County, Missouri. He spent six years of hard study, and was graduated with honor from that institution in 1875. Dr. E. afterwards taught two years, but was obliged to give up that profession on account of failing health. On this account he took a trip to Colorado, spending some time in that vicinity, and after regaining his health, he returned home and entered the office of Dr. June, of Lawson, where he took a thorough course of study in medicine. He then took the prescribed course at the Missouri Medical College, of St. Louis, graduating in the spring of 1879. He immediately located at Turney, Clinton County, where he erected a house and settled down permanently. He married Miss Maggie Green, a daughter of Cyrus Green, of Jackson, in September, 1879. The result of this marriage was Forest Leon, born July 8, 1880. The Doctor is a great scholar, deeply investigating things of importance which come under his observation, and endeavors to the best of his ability to discover and understand cause and effect. He is well aware that he represents an ancient and honorable profession, and his ambition is to make himself a proficient follower thereof and to give dignity to his position. He has devoted much of his time and thought to surgery, and in his practice is very successful. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church. William H. Estill, father of Dr. Estill, came from Kentucky at a very early day, and settled in Jackson Township, near Barnesville. His first wife was Elizabeth Hubbard, daughter of Colonel Hubbard, of Clay County, whom he married in 1838. They had seven children: John, Mary, Moses, James T., Erasmus, Alice and Lucy. Mrs. E. died in 1856. His second wife was Miss Mary Jane Denny, and to her he was married in 1858. By this union there were two children: Willie and Rufus. Mr. E. is one of the founders of the Presbyterian Church in Barnesville, in which he is very active. Having been among the first settlers here, he has always taken an interest in enterprises which were calculated to advance its growth.
(Source:  The History of Clinton County Missouri; published 1881; O.P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack)

JAMES W. EVANS; farmer, section 20, was born September 7, 1814, in Dorchester County, Maryland. After receiving a limited education he learned the carriage trimmers' trade, and worked at it in several different States. In 1837 he was located at Charleston, South Carolina, when the city was nearly destroyed by fire. In the fall of 1844, he came to Clinton County, Missouri, where he bought a farm near Hainesville, and worked it for five years. Then sold out and lived for a time in the states of Maryland and North Carolina. Upon coming again to Hainesville Mr. E. hired out at seventy-five cents a day for a year. - He also worked at his trade for several years, and then opened a boot and shoe store. Subsequently he acted as a clerk for a dry goods house. In 1855, he resumed his trade, and was engaged in operating a saddle and harness shop until 1875, having been very successful. In 1869, he bought 270 acres of land, where his son now lives. He also has 480 acres in Arkansas, near the Capital. In September, 1880, Mr. E. moved to his beautiful farm near Lathrop, where he had previously built and made substantial improvements. He owns 480 acres of choice land in his home farm. He has set out ten miles of hedge on the farm, and this divides his three-quarters of a section into forty acre lots. Mr. Evans married Mary Eliza Hoggard, of North Carolina, February 8, 1844. They have three children: Mary Frances, (who married Mr. Frank Collins, a son of J. W. Collins, Register of Clay County, Missouri, and they live with Mr. Evans on the farm); John Henry, (was married August 11, 1877, at Hainesville); and William James, (who was born August 29, 1848, and married Caroline Gow, a daughter of Arthur Gow, of Clay County, in November, 1875). Mr. Evans was among the first settlers of Hainesville, and was one of its most substantial business men. He operated a carding machine, bought stock, and was a general dealer for a long time. He is one of the respected citizens of Clinton County; is an honored member of the Christian Church, and is fully alive to its spiritual and temporal interests.
(Source:  The History of Clinton County Missouri; published 1881; O.P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack)

REV. GEORGE W. EVERETT; is a native of Clinton County, and was born near Stewartsville, November 24, 1838. His father, Mathew, was a native of Virginia, and he became a resident of the Territory of Missouri in 1818. He came to Clinton County in 1838, being among the pioneers, and was here identified with the development of the county, and its general progress for some years. George W. was raised in Clinton County, following the pursuits of farming. His educational advantages were exceedingly limited, but by perseverance, improving all his leisure moments, and being an apt student, he secured a fair share of the world's knowledge. In later years he attended the Pleasant Ridge Seminary, in Platte County. At the breaking out of the war, Mr. Everett tendered his services to the Confederate cause, enlisting in Shelby's Brigade. On account of infirmity, he was unsuited for the infantry, was discharged, and re-enlisted in the cavalry, remaining until the close of the war. After this, he was one year in Texas, and then returned to Clinton County, in 1866, engaging in agricultural pursuits. In 1874, he was ordained minister. Mr. Everett is well disciplined in expounding the scriptures, is an ardent worker, and a convincing speaker. He was married in 1868,*to Miss Marietta Busey. By this union they have six children: Thomas. Maurie Clarence, Pulton, Jimmie Lyle and Mary Rebecca.
(Source:  The History of Clinton County Missouri; published 1881; O.P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack)

 

Return to

Clinton County

Missouri

Genealogy Trails

Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.