Welcome to...
Clinton County, Missouri

Biographies
~ F ~

FRANKLIN FINCH; farmer and stock raiser, section 20, post office Stewartsville, was born in Monroe County, Ohio, September 6, 1823, and when one year old was taken by his parents to Indiana, where they resided for six years, and then moving to Illinois. In the year 1837, they moved to Buchanan County, Missouri. Franklin was educated in the common schools of his different locations, and, in 1846, he enlisted in the Mexican war, remaining in service for fourteen months, being mustered out as second lieutenant. In 1855, he moved to Jefferson County, Kansas, where he remained till 1861, and then came to Clinton County, Missouri, where he has since resided. He was engaged in the mercantile trade four years, and in the year 1857, while in Jefferson County, Kansas, was elected to the legislature for one term and was a member of the county board for two terms. Mr. Finch's landed estate consists of 580 acres of land. He makes his principal occupation the raising of stock. He is a Mason and a member of Stewartsville Lodge No. 182. He was married March 25, 1849, to Miss Margaret Moore. She was born in Franklin County, Pennsylvania, October 20, 1829. They have had nine children, eight of whom are now living: Emma, Martin L., Edmond L., Florence A., Margaret E., Maud, David R., and Franklin.
(Source:  The History of Clinton County Missouri; published 1881; O.P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack)

OSCAR D. FITZGERALD, M. D.;  the subject of this sketch, was born in Scott County, Kentucky, September 15, 1839, and in 1844 he came to Clay County, Missouri, where he received a good education. Having long cherished a desire to become a physician, with that end in view, he entered the office of Dr. Bernard, of Hainesville, one of the most able physicians of the county, and pursued a thorough course of study, and in 1872 he graduated at the St. Louis Medical College. He at once commenced the practice of his profession in Lathrop, where he has gained an enviable reputation, not only as a successful practitioner, but as one of the most enterprising and intelligent citizens of the city. He married Miss Sarah Belle Baker, of Clay County, in April, 1859, and by this union they have one daughter, Lizzie M., a cultured and refined young lady, who graduated at the Central Female College, at Lexington, Missouri, in the spring of 1881. The doctor is a leading and exemplary member of the M. E. Church, south. He is the president of the school board, and is foremost in promoting the interests of education and in the general improvements of the city. He has a fine residence, and has erected a good brick store building, in which he has his office and a well selected library. He is the counseling physician for miles around, is an eminent and successful surgeon and his natural instinct and love for his profession render him an able practitioner. In 1881, he was elected president of the District Medical Society at Kansas City.
(Source:  The History of Clinton County Missouri; published 1881; O.P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack)

J. N. FORSEE; druggist and merchant, Grayson. The subject of this sketch is a native of Kentucky, and was born October 28, 1831. He was there raised to manhood, and educated. At the age of twenty-five years he emigrated to this state, and settled in Plattsburg. He has followed his present occupation for the past twenty-four years, and is the successor of what was known as Clark & Co.'s store, in Grayson. He is well and favorably known in mercantile circles, and a popular man with the public. Mr. F. has been twice married; first, to Miss Orphia Tucker, whose death occurred in 1862. He subsequently married Miss Susan Poteet, September 10, 1865. They have, as a result of this union, four children: Charlie E., Addie E., Romie N. and Juliet D. Mr. Forsee is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and an Odd Fellow. He is at present secretary of Plattsburg Masonic Lodge No. 113, A. F. & A. M., and has held that office for the last four years. He has also held all the offices within the gift of the Odd Fellows Lodge.
(Source:  The History of Clinton County Missouri; published 1881; O.P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack)

CHARLES L. FOWLER; was born in Uniontown, Fayette County, Pennsylvania, September 30, 1840, and after an education, finished in Madison College, of that place, learned the printing trade in the office of the Genius of Liberty, a paper still published in that town, in its seventy-seventh year, without missing a number. He came west directly after serving his apprenticeship, and rambled over the country, drinking in its beauties and storing up a fund of knowledge of men and things, only obtained by closest observation. He crossed the plains in "bull-whacking" times, stopping for brief seasons in Colorado, Nevada, Montana, Idaho and Utah, and crossing the mountains to California, traversed the wilds of Oregon and Washington, when "Injun meal" was about the only sign of civilization in that region. When "Sumpter was fired upon" Muscatine, Iowa, claimed him as a citizen, and he left one of its daily newspaper offices for the field as acting drum major of the First Iowa Regiment of Infantry. He served with that regiment during its campaign with General Lyon and elsewhere, and during that time wrote several "soldier songs" that were sung by every camp fire in the West and South. In the month of May, 1877, he brought out the first number of the Stewartsville Independent, of which he is still sole owner and editor. This was a somewhat hazardous venture, as Stewartsville had been the scene of a half dozen newspaper failures, in all of which the citizens had been sufferers, as they had advanced the capital for the purchase of the material, etc. Mr. Fowler asked no donations, brought his entire printing outfit with him, and started his paper upon the principles which govern all legitimate business. By its merit alone it has succeeded, and that it has succeeded is evidenced by its exceedingly healthy advertising patronage and substantial subscription list. A writer of unusual force, terse, sharp, pointed, brilliant, and at the same time cultured and refined, Mr. Fowler's editorials are the household treasures of a large number of weekly readers in the best families in Northwest Missouri. In June, 1879, he became a member of Stewartsville Lodge, No. 182, A. F. & A. M., and in December following, was elected its Secretary, which position he still holds. As actor, author, soldier, poet and journalist, his has been an eventful life, and one upon which no spot of dishonor or dishonesty has ever found a resting place. His earnestness of purpose has served him in all countries and among all people, and he hopes to lay down the armor in the end with the knowledge that he did what his conscience admonished was the best in all things.
(Source:  The History of Clinton County Missouri; published 1881; O.P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack)

JAMES H. FRAME; third of a family of seven children, is a son of James and Mary Frame. He was born near Paisley, Scotland, January 17, 1856. When less than a year old he came with his parents to the United States, settling first near Burlington, Iowa. After a year's residence there, he moved with his parents to Hannibal, Missouri, where he resided till 1867, when he moved to Cameron, Missouri, where he received his education chiefly. At the age of twelve years he entered the printing office of the Cameron Observer, then edited by J. S. Hake, and here acquired a knowledge of the art of printing. He continued to pursue this calling, working on different papers in Missouri, Iowa, and Illinois. In 1876, he returned to Cameron and started the Vindicator, which he now (1881) publishes as a daily and weekly. He married in St. Louis, Missouri, June 2, 1879, Miss Emma C. Caldwell, of Vemillion County, Illinois. Her parents are George L. and Matilda Caldwell. Mr. Frame has displayed unusual enterprise in his business, and is now the successful publisher of the first and only daily newspaper ever started in Cameron.
(Source:  The History of Clinton County Missouri; published 1881; O.P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack)

A. S. FRY;  eldest son of Solomon Fry, a distinguished pioneer of the county, and of Susan, his wife, was born in Clay County, Missouri, January 29, 1829. The first school he attended was taught by Colonel Winslow Turner, on Rush Creek, in Clay County, near the town of Liberty. He afterwards attended a school taught in a building erected by his father, for that purpose, in Hardin Township, Clinton County, three miles southeast of the village of Bainbridge, his last scholastic instruction he received from a private teacher in his father's family. Mr. Fry is a man of enlarged views, and has traveled considerably over the continent. Among other excursions he made, with a party of friends, a pleasure trip to the Rocky Mountains, in 1875. His farm of 400 acres, six miles south of Plattsburg, is one of the best conducted in the county. He is a successful breeder of cattle, and was among the first to introduce stall feeding into the county. Mr. Fry has supplied the market with more first class cattle than any other man in the township. His uniform success in this department of enterprise, prompted him to .attempt the short horn cattle business, in which he has made a successful start with specimens of the Josephine, Young Mary and Rose of Sharon, families which he imported from Kentucky. For one Rose of Sharon .cow and calf he paid $1,100. Mr. Fry is not a member of any religious organization. He is, however, a Master Mason, and was made such in Plattsburg Lodge, A. F. and A. M., in 1875. He has been three times married; first, in 1856, to Miss Emma Bland, formerly of Clay County. She died in 1858, leaving no children. In 1859, he married Miss Alice Lindsay, originally from Kentucky. He had by this union one child, a son, Perry Fry, now a clerk in a drug store in Plattsburg. Mrs. Fry died in 1860. In 1861, A. S. Fry married his third wife, Miss Emma Simpson, a native of Kentucky. They have four children: Cora, Emma, Albert and Mary.
(Source:  The History of Clinton County Missouri; published 1881; O.P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack)

E. S. FRY; a successful farmer and stock raiser on section 15, stands among the foremost of the leading men of Hardin Township. He was born in Clinton County, Missouri, on the first day of May, 1845, and is consequently one of the county's earliest settlers. He is a son of Solomon Fry, who has been an illustrious citizen here for many years. Mr. Fry received his education here, and is a man well informed, and a brilliant conversationalist. He was married on the sixth of February, 1868, to Ann Eliza Deyerle, in Roanoke County, Virginia. The result of this union was three children, one son and two daughters: Julia V., Galen B. and Bessie M. Solomon Fry, the father of the above, was born November 24, 1797, in Frederick County, Virginia. He made that his home until three years of age, and thence removed to Kentucky, where he remained for twenty years, and then going to Clay County, Missouri. About the year 1840, Mr. Fry came to Clinton County, where he thereafter continued to reside. His marriage occurred April 6, 1826, to Susan Snap, of Vincennes, Indiana. They had a family of eight children: Helen B., born February 26, 1827; A. S., born January 29, 1829; Harriet, (wife of George Hockaday, of Lathrop), born May 4, 1831; Lou1s S., born July 24, 1833; Amanda, born December 21, 1835; Anna, (married Theodore Todd), born June 24, 1838; Juda, born June 24, 1841; Emanuel S., born May 1, 1845. Mr. Fry's brother, Thomas, lives in Hardin Township, south of the farm of George Hall.
(Source:  The History of Clinton County Missouri; published 1881; O.P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack)

Mr. James A. Funkhouser was born in Clinton County, a son of Abraham Funkhouser, who migrated from his native state, Virginia, to Missouri, becoming a pioneer of Clinton County. Interested in cattle breeding and raising from his youth up, he became one of the foremost breeders of Herefords in the state, in his determination to breed cattle that should find favor establishing a herd that contained specimens of some of the best Hereford cattle produced in the European countries. He spared neither pains nor expense in securing the best cattle to be anywhere obtained as leaders of his herd, and ere his death refused an offer of $14,000 for two of his leaders. He built up a large and lucrative business, which is now managed by Mr. Willis, as above stated. Mr. Funkhouser died at the age of fifty-nine years, his death occurring on his home farm in 1906.
James A. Funkhouser married Mattie E. Willis, who was born in Clinton County, Missouri.
Her father, B. F. Willis, came from Kentucky to Clinton County, Missouri, in 1852, locating ten miles southwest of Plattsburg. He died at the age of seventy-six years. Mr. B. F. Willis married Annie J. Embry, a native of Kentucky, and to them several children were born, as follows: H. E., deceased; Mattie E., widow of James A. Funkhouser; W. T., of the firm of Funkhouser & Willis; Mrs. Emma F. Wallace; Florence A.; and Eliza W.
[A History of Northwest Missouri, Volume 2; edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1918; Donated and Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack]

 

Return to

Clinton County

Missouri

Genealogy Trails

Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.