Welcome to...
Clinton County, Missouri

Biographies
~ H ~

DAVID S. HALL; dealer in hardware and agricultural implements, and insurance, land, claim and collecting agent, was born in Pleasureville, Kentucky, October 15, 1843, and came to Buchanan County, Missouri, with his parents in 1857. He was there raised to manhood, receiving the benefits of a common school and a commercial education in St. Joseph. He commenced his mercantile career at Union Mills, Platte County, and afterwards engaged in trade in Plattsburg, where he continued four years; thence moved to Gower, and has since been one of the representative men of the town. For two years he was deputy sheriff of Clinton County, and filled the position faithfully. He was married in 1868 to Miss Emma L. Asbury, of Plattsburg. They have three children: Annie A., Birda and George R. A.  Mr. Hall is a Master Mason and a member of Gower Lodge.
(Source:  The History of Clinton County Missouri; published 1881; O.P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack)

GEORGE T. HALL; merchant arid postmaster, Gower, as a citizen and energetic business man, is known over a vast area of country. He is the son of Mr. Thomas Hall, the well known vulcan, and was born in Pleasureville, Kentucky, December 22, 1850. Moving to Missouri with his parents when young, he was principally raised in Buchanan County. In 1870 he embarked in merchandising, and has been postmaster since 1874. He was married in 1881 to Miss Inez Shields, an estimable lady of Warrensburg, Johnson County, Missouri. Mr. Hall is a Master Mason.
(Source:  The History of Clinton County Missouri; published 1881; O.P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack)

J. C. HALL; farmer and stock raiser, section 19, post office Bainbridge, is an old pioneer of this county, and is a man who has been long associated with its farming interests. He was born in Tennessee, and at the age of seven years, with his father's family, he removed to Missouri, and settled in Boone County. J. S. Hall, his father, was among the first settlers of that county. His death occurred in 1860, at the age of 77 years. The mother of J. C. died in 1867, at the advanced age of 83. The hardships which the subject of this sketch underwent during his boyhood days in Boone did much toward preparing him for a successful farmer of this district. He has 212 acres of land, the larger portion of which he cultivates. He has been twice married; first, in 1836, to Miss J. Callaway. After living together happily for seventeen years, she passed away in 1853, leaving eight children: Sarah K., Jane C, William J., America A., Elizabeth A., Martha J., Thomas J. and Mary A. E. In 1855, Mr. H. was married to Miss Mary MacColloch. They have from this marriage one child, George. They are members of the Baptist Church, Mr. H. being one of the original members of the church in his township. There is at present but one original member living besides himself.
(Source:  The History of Clinton County Missouri; published 1881; O.P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack)

JOHN W. HALL; merchant. This well known and popular citizen is a native of Kentucky, and was born in Henry County, August 2, 1839. He came to Missouri when seventeen years of age, locating in Buchanan County with his parents. When the rebellion broke out he entered the Confederate service, and served six months under General Atchison, after which he went to Montana, locating in Virginia City, where he resided several years. He was a policeman in that city for one year, and deputy marshal two years. In 1867, returning to Buchanan County, Missouri, he engaged in farming until 1878, when he embarked in merchandising in Gower. Mr. H. is an outspoken, frank citizen, with liberal views, and as a business man stands among the foremost. In 1868, Miss Eliza Weakley, of Clinton County, Missouri, became his wife. By this union they have six children: Georgia Belle, Elizabeth, Nellie, Lucy, Willard and Virgil. Lost one—Erasmus. Mr. Hall is a Master Mason and a member of Gower Lodge.
(Source:  The History of Clinton County Missouri; published 1881; O.P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack)

THOMAS HALL; well known in Northwestern Missouri, is a native of Kentucky, and was born in Henry County, December 20, 1816. His father, John I. Hall, was a blacksmith, and Thomas adopted and learned that trade, when fifteen years of age. Upon attaining his majority, he opened a shop at Pleasureville, which he operated a number of years. In 1859, he came to Missouri, locating in Tremont Township, Buchanan County, where he engaged in farming, continuing until 1874, when he removed to Gower, and opened a blacksmith shop. Not many men are more widely acquainted or more popularly known in the adjacent county than Mr. Hall. He was married, in 1838, to Miss Edna F. Fallis, of Kentucky. They have had seven children, four of whom are living: John W., David S., George T. and Erasmus C.; lost three: William Henry, Josephene E. and Tillman.
(Source:  The History of Clinton County Missouri; published 1881; O.P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack)

WILLIAM HAMMETT; druggist, stationer and assistant postmaster, Gower, is a native of Pennsylvania, and was born in Franklin County, April 4, 1843. His father, D. F. Hammett, was well known in the commercial circles of that country, and died when William was quite young. At an early age the latter migrated to Maryland, where he was raised and educated, entering the naval academy, at Annapolis, as a cadet, in 1859; also, for a time, he was at Newport, the academy having been removed to that point. In 1863, he was called into active service, and, in the capacity of ensign, was in the Mississippi Squadron until the close of the rebellion, when he was honorably discharged. In 1866, the west attracted his attention, and he came to Missouri, locating in St. Joseph, where he entered the employ of Turner, Frazer & Co., and, for a time, was their representative on the road, being one of the first traveling salesmen out of St. Joseph. He continued in their employ for four years, after which he embarked in merchandising at Frazer, Buchanan County, remaining three years. He next went to Texas, and lived temporarily in different parts, and, afterwards, for four years, was in the employ of C. D. Smith & Co., St. Joseph. In the autumn of 1880, he established himself in trade in Gower. He has been assistant postmaster since that time. He is an efficient druggist, and has built up a trade that will compare favorably with any in the county. Socially, Mr. Hammett is one of the most genial and companionable of men. He is a Master Mason, and a member of Gower Lodge.
(Source:  The History of Clinton County Missouri; published 1881; O.P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack)

P. HANKS; (deceased) was among the oldest settlers of this district. He was a native of Virginia and was born in 1781. He was there raised to manhood, and at an early day emigrated to Kentucky, where he remained following the occupation of farming for about twenty years. In 1830, he emigrated to this state and settled in Clay County, where he resided about six years, after which time he removed to this county and located on section 2, where his son now resides. He was married January, 1823, to Miss Emma Nash, a lady who is still living at the advanced age of eighty-eight. They had six children—Sallie, George M., Galatin S., John P. William H. and Winston T. Mr. H.'s death occurred April 8, 1861.
(Source:  The History of Clinton County Missouri; published 1881; O.P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack)

WINSTON T. HANKS; is a native of Missouri, and was born November 16, 1840. He was raised in the occupation he now follows, and is a successful and enterprising young farmer. He has 164 acres of good land, most of which he cultivates. He was married January 11, 1881, to Miss Gennetta A Broce.
(Source:  The History of Clinton County Missouri; published 1881; O.P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack)

W. M. HAWKINS;  section 6, post office Plattsburg, a prominent farmer and stock raiser of this district, is a native of Clark County, Kentucky, and was born January 11, 1832. He moved from there at an early age to Buchanan County. Missouri, but remained only a few years, when he came to this county and settled where he now resides. W. R., the father of the subject of this sketch, was a pioneer of Virginia, and closely identified with the agricultural interests of that state. He was born April 1, 1791, and died in 1879, at the advanced age of eighty-eight years. W. M. has over seventy-two acres of good land, all of which is in a high state of cultivation. He was married in 1852 to Rosana Cassity, a very estimable lady. The result of their union is three children: Martin J., Arena S. and Gessella N. They are both members of the Christian Church.
(Source:  The History of Clinton County Missouri; published 1881; O.P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack)

HERMAN HECK;  farmer and dealer in stock, was born in Baden, Germany, November 8, 1829, and came to this country in 1848, settling in New York, where he remained until 1851. He then started for California, but abandoned that idea upon reaching St. Joseph, Missouri, and there went to work at the carpenter's trade. After following this trade for awhile, he came to Hainesville, and there helped to build a house, continuing his chosen calling, buying and selling stock and land, until the war broke out. Mr. H. then enlisted in the Sixth Missouri Infantry, and remained in the service one year and a half, when he was wounded, and in consequence thereof was discharged, and returned to Leavenworth, Kansas. After the war closed, he came to Clinton County, and again resumed his former business, which he has followed principally all his life, and in which he has been very successful. Mr. Heck has, by his own energy and perseverance, made a good competency, having a splendid farm, large herds "of fine cattle and hogs, and is building a fine brick store in Lathrop. His great success is due to his fair dealing, economy and good judgment. He married Miss Molly M. Cooper, daughter of E. W. Cooper, of this township, May 1, 1870. They have five children: William Henry and Herman B., twins, born January 14, 1872; Orland O., born in 1874; Elmer C, born January, 1876, and Adrienne A. His landed interests embrace 455 acres of land in sections 35 and 36, in this township, and 160 acres in section 9, of Jackson Township.
(Source:  The History of Clinton County Missouri; published 1881; O.P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack)

G. M. HIETT; farmer and stock raiser, section 2, post office Plattsburg, is a native of Missouri, and was born March 2, 1837. He was raised and educated in this county, and moved to his present location in 1861. William, the father of the subject of this sketch, was an old pioneer of this county, and a man who was closely identif1ed with its earlier development; his death occurred in 1840. G. M. Hiett has 163 acres of good land, all of which he cultivates, and upon which is an excellent residence and his improvements generally, denote the progressive and successful farmer. Mr. H. was married May 17, 1866, to Miss Caroline Shaver, a lady of refined taste and genial habits, and a daughter of an old pioneer of this district. They have, from this happy union, four children: William B., Isaac N., Susan J., and Charlie S. They are members of the Christian Church.
(Source:  The History of Clinton County Missouri; published 1881; O.P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack)

Edwin Clifton Hill, M. D.; The senior member of the medical fraternity at Smithville, Doctor Hill claims Northwest Missouri as his native home, and has been in practice more than twenty years, his home having been in Smithville since 1898. One of his brothers is a physician, and by marriage the doctor is connected with a family which has given professional service in medicine to this part of Missouri for more than seventy years.
Edwin Clifton Hill was born near Plattsburg, Clinton County, Missouri, August 31, 1868. His father is Thomas R. Hill, now a venerable resident of Plattsburg, who was born in Henry County, Kentucky, August 29, 1837. He was married to Julia F. Sparks, who was born in Owen County, Kentucky, September 16, 1838, and died August 25, 1908. In 1857 they moved to Missouri, locating near St. Joseph, and in 1861 going to Clinton County, where he bought a farm 4 miles from Plattsburg. On that homestead the children were reared and the mother died. In 1913 the father left the farm and has since had his home in retirement at Plattsburg. He was very successful as a farmer. An ardent democrat, he has interested himself in politics and public affairs, and at one time served as presiding judge of the Clinton County Court. His wife and most of the family were of the Baptist faith. There was a large family of children, comprising eight sons and three daughters, named as follows: A. Henry, of El Reno, Oklahoma: Dr. W. H., of St. Joseph; Lou P., wife of J. D. Smith, of Knox County, Missouri; Georgia L., wife of Robert Smithers, of Kansas City; Dr. E. C.. of Smithville; Molly F., wife of R. L. Ebert’s, of Plattsburg; H. W., of Liberty, Missouri; A. W., of Woodlake, Kentucky; Ben P., of Pomona, California; T. Russ and A. Lester, both of whom are dentists in practice at St. Joseph and Kansas City, Missouri.
Edwin C. Hill reverts to the Clinton County farm as the scene of his early recollections and experiences, and while there he had the discipline and instruction of the common schools. Having made up his mind to prepare for medicine as a profession, he contrived the means and opportunity for attending college, and took his course in the Eclectic Medical College of Cincinnati, where he was graduated M. D. in 1891. His first location was at Gower, in Clinton County, and after seven years he moved to Smithville, in Clay County. He has enjoyed a large practice both in town and country, and with each year of experience his skill is more in demand and his position more securely established in the confidence of the people.
Doctor Hill has professional associations with the Clay County and Missouri State Medical societies, with the American Medical Association and the National Eclectic Association. Fraternally he is affiliated with the Masonic order and the Mystic Shrine, with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, Knights of Pythias and Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks. In politics he is a democrat.
September 2, 1891, Doctor Hill married Miss Annie E. May, and they are the parents of six children, two of whom, Edwin R. and George D., are deceased. The others are Julia May, Ben Lester, David W. and Howard W.
Mrs. Hill was born at Barry, in Clay County, March 4, 1870, a daughter of Dr. Ben L. and a granddaughter of Dr. Ware May, both prominent in their profession. Her grandfather came from Kentucky, being a graduate of the Lexington Medical College, and was for many years in practice at Liberty and in Platte County. He served as a surgeon with Missouri troops in the Mexican war. He married Elizabeth Burnett, a sister of former Gov. Peter Burnett of California. Dr. Ben L. May, father of Mrs. Hill, was born in Platte County, Missouri, June 17, 1841, and died April 25, 1882. In 1865 he graduated from the Bellevue Hospital Medical College of New York City, and had previously been a Confederate soldier under Gen. Sterling Price. He began his practice at Barry, in Clay County, and that was his home until his death. A man of large physical frame and broad mental capacity, equaled by a jovial temperament, he was beloved by everyone in that entire community. He was married September 28, 1865, to Mary A. Nicol. She was born near Platte City, Missouri, April 4, 1846, and is now living with her only daughter, Mrs. Hill. Her parents, David and Ellen (Peyton) Nicol, were born in Rappahannock County, Virginia, and settled in Platte County, Missouri, in the fall of 1846, and lived on a farm there the rest of their lives. Besides Mrs. Hill the other children of Dr. and Mrs. May were: George E., of Charles City, Iowa; David W., in Government service in Porto Rico; and B. Wood, of Charles City, Iowa.
[Source:  A History of Northwest Missouri Volume III; publ. 1915 in III Volumes; Edited by Walter Williams; Submitted to Genealogy Trails and transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack]

BIRD HIXSON; proprietor of saw mill, section 17, post office Bainbridge. The subject of this sketch is a native of Missouri, and was born September 18, 1842. When a small boy, his father moved to this county, where Bird was raised and educated. He is proprietor of Hixson's Saw and Corn Mill, a splendid structure, having a capacity of 5,000 feet of lumber and 1oo bushels of corn, per day. Mr. H. supplies nearly this entire district with hard wood lumber, besides supplying large firms in Kansas City with walnut. He has forty-three acres of land, fifteen acres of which is under good cultivation. He was married September 1, 1867, to Miss Sarah Helms, a native of Indiana. They have, from this union, six children: Albert W., William T., Joseph F., Annie M., Oliver P. and John F. During the late civil war, Mr. Hixson was a volunteer in the Federal army, in Company F, Sixth Missouri State Militia Cavalry. With that and other companies, he remained till the close of the war, receiving his discharge April 8, 1866.
(Source:  The History of Clinton County Missouri; published 1881; O.P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack)

A. W. HOLLAND; farmer, section 14, was born in East Tennessee, in 1833. His father, Benjamin Holland, moved to Clay County, Missouri, in 1835, and in 1837 located a claim of 200 acres in Platte County, and thus became one of the original settlers of the Platte Purchase. He was a Methodist in his religious preferences, and his home was often the abode of the early ministers; the first preaching in the Platte Purchase was held in his house, and also the first quarterly meeting. He was a leader in religious matters, always outspoken and honest, and loved the old flag of his forefathers. After the M. E. Church South was formed, he still continued his connection and love for the old church, and on that account was persecuted on every hand; in like manner was his pastor, the Rev. Wm. Sellers, now of the Missouri conference of the M. E. Church treated. In March, 1856, in the village of Rochester, near his home, the latter was tarred by a mob and insulted in various ways, and Mr. Holland was shot and killed while sitting on the counter of a store. From these circumstances his son, the subject of this sketch, received his early impressions of right and wrong. The treatment and death of his sainted father will be something never to be forgotten by him. So he has grown to be a man positive in his conviction, doing what he knows to be right with all his might, and opposing wrong with the same earnest zeal. Mr. Holland received a good common school education in his youth, has always been a great reader, and now is among the best informed men of the county. His mother was the daughter of Colonel Warner, of Tennessee, who fought so nobly in the Revolutionary war. Mr. H. taught school one year in Andrew County, and in 1855 he settled in Nebraska City, where he engaged in trade. In 1859, he returned to Rock Port, Atchison County, Missouri, there buying a home. He remained there for two years, and in the fall of 1860 came to this county and located in Shoal Township. He bought a good farm, paying $3,000 for it, commenced work, and at once took a front rank among our best farmers. In 1861, the Union men of his community formed a company of home guards in Mirabile, Caldwell County, remaining organized for six months. He then enlisted in the Sixth Missouri State Cavalry of the United States service, of which he was a member for over three years. On the 7th of April, 1864, on account of sickness he was mustered out, receiving an honorable discharge. He sold his farm and moved to Plattsburg, where he was engaged in trade until 1867, when he bought the farm on which he has since resided, and which embraces 160 acres of land. He has made many valuable improvements, and now has one of the most desirable homes in the vicinity. Mr. Holland is a leading Republican, and in 1869 was one of the eleven voters in the county for Lincoln—Mr. H. and his brother, Judge Estep, N. Potter, John R. Stevens and others. He has never been an office seeker, but has frequently been a delegate to conventions, and is a member of the county central committee. He was active in organizing the Garfield Club, which did so much for the Republican cause in the campaign. He married Miss Sarah Hendix, of Iowa, in March, 1859. They have eight children, Florence, Winn, George F., Willis Z., Eddie J., Albert Kingsley, Rosa Mary, and Burk. Four are deceased.
(Source:  The History of Clinton County Missouri; published 1881; O.P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack)

JOHN C. HOLLAND;  farmer and stock raiser, section 33, post office Turney, is a native of Sevier County, Tennessee, and was born near Sevierville on the 28th day of June, 1820, is the son and fifth child of Benjamin Holland, a native of Tennessee, who was born in Cocke County, in the year 1794. He emigrated to Clay County, Missouri, in 1832, and, with his family, in 1835, moved to Platte County. He was a resident of Andrew County at the time of his death, having been murdered on account of his religious principles, on the 8th day of June, 1856. John C. began business for himself when twenty-one years of age. In 1841, he entered eighty acres of land in Platte County, which he improved, and, in 1846, enlisted in Company F., Second Regiment Missouri Volunteers, under Sterling Price. He served for fifteen months, then returned, commenced farming, and, in 1850, came to Clinton County, settling where he now resides. He owns a farm of 120 acres, well improved. Mr. Holland is a kind and generous citizen, and has always been actuated by the best and purest of motives. He is an active church member, and his heart and hand are in all good works, and his name is greatly revered by all. He has reared his family about a family altar, and made a pleasant and happy home amid the companionship of others, and is known by old and young, throughout the county, as "Uncle John." As a business man, beginning without capital, other than his own native abilities, and prompted by the ambition to become known as an upright, honorable and influential man, he has gradually risen to his present position. Mr. H. was married, August 4, 1848, to Miss Jane St. John. Their .family consists of Mary C, Margaret L., Ben F., William T., Andrew J., John H., Minnie A., living, and Lyda J. and Tyafena B., deceased. They worship with the M. E. denomination.
(Source:  The History of Clinton County Missouri; published 1881; O.P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack)

THOMAS B. HOLT; farmer and stock raiser, section 32, post office Stewartsville, was born in Clearfield County, Pennsylvania, February 16, 1834, and was reared on a farm in his native county, where he received his primary education. After attaining to the age of twenty-one years, he entered the Pine Grove Academy of Center County, Pennsylvania, which institution he attended for five years, teaching during the vacations. He then taught in Pennsylvania for about five years, when he became engaged in the lumber business, and in 1865 he went to the oil regions of Pennsylvania, where he embarked in oil speculation. In a short time he found himself in Denver City, Colorado, with but five dollars in his possession. Shortly afterward he came to Clinton County, Missouri, and in connection with farming was engaged in teaching for ten years. He now has a farm of 180 acres, all of which is well improved. Mr. Holt was married March 5, 1871, to Miss Nancy J. McCrosky. She was born in Greenup County, Kentucky. They have five children, Wm. B., David W., Hugh, Edward and Charles.
(Source:  The History of Clinton County Missouri; published 1881; O.P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack)

E. H. HORD; farmer and stock raiser, section 31, post office Plattsburg, is one among the old settlers and prominent farmers of this district. He is a native of Mason County, Kentucky, and was born June 7, 1834. He was there raised to manhood, and it was there he learned the occupation he now follows. He has 170 acres of good land, all of which he cultivates. He was married February 28, 1855, to Miss Amelia Allen. They have, from this union, eleven children: Charles A., Mary S., Adalaide, Florence, Dora M., Annie, Abner, Elias, Sabina, William, and Herndon. Mr. and Mrs. H. are members of the Christian Church.
(Source:  The History of Clinton County Missouri; published 1881; O.P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack)

THOMAS J. HUBBARD;  farmer, section 17, was born in Garrard County, Kentucky, November 3, 1821, and came to Clinton County, in 1849, soon buying the farm where he now lives, which now contains 180 acres. He married Miss Elizabeth J. Reynolds, a daughter of David W. Reynolds, of this township, July 12, 1849. She was a native of Madison County, Kentucky. They have two children, Wm. B. and Thomas G. Wm. B. married Lovina E. Tutton, and they have one son, fifteen months old. Mr. Hubbard early conceived the idea of making stock raising his principal business, consequently, was eager to improve his stock. He bought the first blooded male which was brought into the county, and which has proven to be one of the best in the country. He also put in place the first set of farm scales in Clinton County, and was one of the first to feed stock for market. Mr. H. has done much in improving Clinton County, and bringing her into notice as one of the best in the state, and is worthy the esteem in which he is held by many.
(Source:  The History of Clinton County Missouri; published 1881; O.P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack)

J. I. HUDSON; section 16, post office Stewartsville, is a native of Wilkes County, North Carolina, and was born on the 18th day of October, 1831. He was reared in Lee County, Virginia, remaining on the farm with his parents until the age of twenty years, having received a common school education. In 1841, he moved to Platte City, Platte County, Missouri, and for four years devoted his time to farming. In 1845, he moved to Richardson County, Nebraska, and gave his entire attention to the ferry business, at St. Stephens, on the Missouri River, in 1857 returning to Platte County, Missouri. For four and one-half years he was in the employ of Stephen Johnson, a merchant at Platte City, and attended to all outside business such as the selling of real estate, stock, etc. After leaving the above named firm, Mr. H. devoted his attention to farming, and in 1862, he came to Clinton County, Missouri. He was united in marriage, on the 9th day of October, 1862, to Miss Sarah Delaney, a native of Lincoln County, Kentucky. She was born on the 30th day of January. 1842. Mr. Hudson is now general agent for the Williams Washer. He and his wife are both members of the Christian Church.
(Source:  The History of Clinton County Missouri; published 1881; O.P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack)

 

Return to

Clinton County

Missouri

Genealogy Trails

Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.