Welcome to...
Clinton County, Missouri

Biographies
~ M ~

JAMES C. MADDEN; farmer and stock raiser, sections 21 and 28, was born in Tennessee, June 23, 1828, and came with his father to Clay County, Missouri, in 1847. In 1850, he went to California, remaining two years, working in the mines, at which he was quite successful. Upon returning to Clay County, after looking about for awhile, he bought a farm in Ray County, where he remained until 1861, when he bought the farm on which he has since lived. He has one of the finest in Clinton County, and it contains 235 acres. He has a beautiful residence, and everything about betokens thrift and refinement. The farm was originally owned by William Ledgwood. A. M. Streeter was a squatter on it fifty years ago. Mr. M. is greatly interested in blooded stock, and has a number of excellent animals. He is a prominent member of society, and does much for the advancement of education in the way of erecting school houses, etc. Mr. Madden was married to Miss Nancy Jane Hardwick, of Clay County, January 5, 1854. They have ten children: Fannie, George A., James T., Fleaty J. Nancy Ann, Sophronia Isabella, Minerva, Lela, Myrtle and Orpha. Mr. M. has earned his own way through life, having commenced with nothing, and now, surrounded by his family, can enjoy the fruits of his own industry. Mr. and Mrs. Madden and part of the family are members of the Christian Union Church. Mr. M. also belongs to the Masonic lodge at Holt, and is one of its active members.
(Source:  The History of Clinton County Missouri; published 1881; O.P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack)

ZACHARY T. MARTIN, M. D.; was born in Winchester, Kentucky, October 4, 1847, and came to this city in December, 1880. He received a good education in Kentucky, and studied medicine under the tutorship of A. S. Allen, M. D., of Winchester, Kentucky, in 1864. Subsequently, he attended lectures at Jefferson College, in Philadelphia, from which institution he was graduated in March, 1867. He practiced in Louisville, Kentucky, for two years, but on account of the poor health of his wife, he moved to Beattyville, Kentucky, and there resumed the practice, of his profession until 1875. Dr. M. again attended a course of lectures at his old Alma Mater, and in the summer of 1876, he returned to his home in Winchester, and entered into active practice with Dr. Sympson. There they were very successful for some four years. After stopping in Hamilton, Ohio, for a few months, Dr. Martin having a desire for the western country, came to this city and opened an office, and is now receiving a very liberal and satisfactory patronage. He is a physician of undoubted skill, and occupies a prominent place in the estimation of his brother practitioners. He married Miss Mattie Hampton, of Winchester, Kentucky, in 1867. He is fast gaining the confidence and respect of the people.
(Source:  The History of Clinton County Missouri; published 1881; O.P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack)

JAMES B. MATTHEWS; section 13, post office Plattsburg. The subject of this sketch is a native of Kentucky, and was born January 11, 1833. There he learned the trade of carpenter, and also engaged in farming. In 1860, he emigrated to Missouri, and settled where he now resides. He has 245 acres of good, average land, equal to any in this section, most of which is under cultivation. He was married April 13, 1854, to Miss Martha E. Smith, an estimable lady. They have eleven children: Mary A., Arthur T., William W., Annie K., James B., Mattie S., Edna, Ernest, Harry C, Katie and an infant. They are members of the Missionary Baptist Church.
(Source: The History of Clinton County Missouri; published 1881; O.P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack)

THOMAS G. McCROSKY; was born in Greenup, now Boyd County, Kentucky, October 18, 1849. He is the youngest of a family of three children. The two elder, who were daughters, died before the birth of their brother. The father of the subject of this sketch was James D. McCrosky, and his grandfather, John McCrosky. They both moved from Rockbridge County, Virginia, and settled in Greenup County, Kentucky, in 1813. The maiden name of his mother was Flora Canterbury. She was a native of Kentucky. The McCrosky family are of Scotch-Irish extraction, and are numbered with the earliest settlers of Virginia. Thomas G. McCrosky was raised on a farm and educated in the public schools of his neighborhood till the spring of 1857, when he left Kentucky with his parents, and moved to Daviess County, Missouri, where he remained engaged in farming three years. In the spring of 1860, he moved with his parents to Stewartsville, where he attended the college presided over by Professor Summers, and now (1881) conducted by Prof. W. O. H. Perry. In 1864, he moved to a farm on which he lived till 1868. He then engaged as a clerk for the mercantile firm of Sanders & Snow, composed of Daniel Sanders and J. H. Snow, sometime after he embarked in business on his own account in the family grocery trade. At the end of eighteen months of successful business, he turned the concern over to his father. He then took an interest in the house of Sanders, Snow & Co. in Stewartsville, dealers in general merchandise. He remained in this connection till 1875, having achieved success in his enterprise. He then purchased 220 acres of land near Stewartsville, and engaged in farming, stock dealing, etc., shipping extensively. He subsequently added 160 acres to this tract. His farm of 380 acres includes some of the most productive soil in this section of country. Eighty acres of this farm lies in Clinton County. In December, 1870, he was made a Mason in Stewartsville lodge, No. 182, A., F. & A. M. In this body of the order he has filled successively every official position up to the rank of worshipful master, to which latter he was elected in 1875. In the same year he was exalted in Russell Royal Arch Chapter in Stewartsville and subsequently filled the office of principal sojourner in the same. In politics Mr. McCrosky has always been a Democrat. He married, October 6, 1874, Miss Belle Wylie, youngest daughter of Rev. C. A. Wylie, a minister of the Presbyterian Church. His family consists of Bertha, born June 16, 1876; Grace, born April 15, 1878, and Flora, born October 10, t88o. Mr. McCrosky is a liberal minded and public-spirited as well as an enterprising citizen, and stands high in the opinion of all who know him.
(Source:  The History of Clinton County Missouri; published 1881; O.P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack)

MRS. MARGARET McDANIEL; section 28, post office Stewartsville, was born in Orange County, North Carolina, November 5. 1809, her maiden name being Wilkinson. She was raised to womanhood in her native county, and was there married September 28, 1831, to John R. McDaniel. He was also born in the same county, and there grew up. In 1841, they moved to Missouri and located in Clay County, where they resided for two years, and then settled in Clinton County, where Mr. McD. resided till the time of his demise, May 10, 1860. They had a family of ten children, five of whom are now living: Jane (now Mrs.Saunders,) born March 8, 1840; Nancy E. (now Mrs. Laffoon), born December 28, 1841; Belle (now Mrs. Pickett), born August 31, 1849; William N., born October 8, 1847; and John J., born March 6, 1852. Since the death of Mr. McDaniel his son, William N., has taken charge of the farm, he being the only child now at home. The estate embraces 115 acres of choice land.
(Source:  The History of Clinton County Missouri; published 1881; O.P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack)

COL. ORLAND G. McDONALD; lumber dealer, also real estate agent for the Hannibal & St. Joseph Railroad Company, is a native of Pennsylvania, and was born in Center County, October 23, 1824. When about seven years of age, his parents moved to Philadelphia, where his mother died when he was about eleven years of age. Being almost an orphan boy, he was compelled to work for his own support, and was engaged in various occupations over different parts of Pennsylvania, till 1841, when he went to Guernsey County, Ohio, where he learned the carpenter trade. This he followed, in that locality, till the spring of 1845, when he went to Tazewell County, Illinois, remaining in Peoria, and vicinity, till the fall of 1847, when he went to Plattsburg, Clinton County, Missouri. He was there engaged in various branches of business, having held nearly all of the offices of the county, in that early day, and being the first public administrator of the county. In 1859, Mr. McD. moved to Stewartsville, and began in the mercantile trade, which he continued for some time. He was then chosen as captain of a company of state militia, and was mustered out as lieutenant colonel. From the year 1863 till 1866, he was station agent for the Hannibal & St. Joseph Railroad, since which time he has held the land agency for the same company. His time has also been occupied in other minor enterprises, and he has, for some time, been in the lumber trade. In 1872, he was elected to the legislature, of which body he was a member for one term. In 1870, he was superintendent of the state registration, and has also held other offices since locating in Stewartsville. Mr. McDonald has been three times married: First, May 1, 1853, to Miss Minerva J. Osborn, of Ohio. She was born July 21, 1837, and died May 8, 1854. June 25, 1857, he married Miss Mary J. Holman, of Missouri. She was born August 25, 1839, and died January 24, 1861. February 25, 1862, Miss Mary P. McGinness, of Missouri, became his wife.
(Source:  The History of Clinton County Missouri; published 1881; O.P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack)

D. P. McKISSICK; farmer and stock raiser, section 15, post office Gower. A well known pioneer of Clinton County and a man who figured conspicuously in the early days of Northwest Missouri, was Mr. Daniel McKissick, father of the subject of this sketch; he was a native of North Carolina, and came to Clinton County with his family in 1833, locating on the farm which his son now occupies; he was one of the earliest justices of the peace, and, also, a surveyor; he raised a good deal of corn in those early days, and those who were unfortunate, in having short crops, were generally accommodated by Mr. McK. He was a man of excellent judgment, and his counsel was often sought after by the early citizens. His home was always open to the stranger, and his hospitality is well remembered by the few pioneers who still survive. In 1843, he was with the first caravan to cross the mountains to Oregon, returning in 1846; he was a sergeant in the war of 1812, and a personal friend of Colonel Benton. It was he who suggested to the court the name of Clinton for the county and that of Plattsburg for the county seat. He was an admirer of DeWitt Clinton, hence the name, and Plattsburg, as a memorial of the war of 1812, and the battle of Plattsburg, New York. His death, which occurred in Clinton County many years ago, was mourned by a large number of acquaintances. D. P. McKissick was born in Bedford County, Tennessee, February 20, 1820, and came to Clinton County with his parents, in 1833, and was here raised and principally educated. He is closely associated with the county's progress and has always manifested a live interest in educational matters. To him much credit is due for having the township laid off, at an early day, into school districts and the inauguration of the public school system. During his sojourn here, he has been a justice of the peace for sixteen years, and has, also, been honored by the people in holding the office of county judge. Before the war Mr. McK. was a Whig, but since then he has been found in the Democratic ranks. He has an excellent memory and is a close observer In public and domestic circles; he is one of the most festive of men. He was married, in 1858, to Miss Mary Jane Wedin, of Saline County, Missouri. They have had seven children: Martha A., Joseph E., Mary C, Daniel T., Annie, Jacob H., and Minnie.
(Source:  The History of Clinton County Missouri; published 1881; O.P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack)

WILLIAM McKOWN; stock raiser, section 33, post office Plattsburg. Mr. John McKown, an early settler of Clinton County, was a native of Kentucky, and came to Clay County when a boy, where he was raised, married and lived until 1832 or '33. Then he became a resident of Clinton, locating where his son William now resides. He entered 240 acres of land, and was the first settler in what is now one of the garden spots of Clinton County. From that time to the present he has been closely associated with the growth and progress of the county. William McKown was born in Clay County, December 10, 1828, and came to Clinton County with his parents. Since then he has made this his home. He received the benefits of the early schools of the county, which in his time was in a small log structure, with split poles for seats, and a portion of a log out of the side of the building to admit the light. At the breaking out of the rebellion Mr. McK. was among the first to tender his services to the Confederate cause, enlisting September 12, 1861. He was with General Price, and participated in the battles of Lexington, Pea Ridge, and a number of skirmishes, serving seven months. He was married in 1850, to Miss Martha Sherrer, of Clinton County. They had six children: Thomas E., Will, John, James W., Maggie and Allie. Mrs. McKown's death occurred November 25, 1877. Mr. McK.'s estate embraces 256 acres of the most desirable land in Clinton County. In stock raising and feeding he is one of the most prominent in his section. He is an active member of the Free Will Baptist Church.
(Source:  The History of Clinton County Missouri; published 1881; O.P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack)

THOMAS McROREY; farmer, section 11, was born in Orange County, North Carolina, in June, 1808, and came to Clay County, Missouri, in the fall of 1840, here buying a farm. He remained upon it for twenty-eight years, and in the fall of 1868, he came to Clinton County, and bought the place where he now resides, containing eighty acres of good land. He married Miss Sally Prather (who was a sister of Mrs. Austin R. King), in North Carolina, in August, 1837. They have ten children living: John, Thomas, Austin T., Marticia Estcline, Elosia Madeline, Mary A., Susan M., Emery Francis, Nannie Kate and Joseph V. Mr. and Mrs. McR. are members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, and are universally respected by all who know them. They have raised a large family of children, who are nearly all married and settled in every part of the country. Mr. and Mrs. McR., in their declining years, can look back over their hardships, and trials, and successes, with pleasure, and are made to rejoice that their lives have not been failures.
(Source:  The History of Clinton County Missouri; published 1881; O.P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack)

C. C. MILLER; farmer and stock raiser, section 6, post office Plattsburg, The subject of this sketch was born November 14, 1834, and at an early age emigrated with the family to Missouri. His father, Daniel, who was an old pioneer of this state, was a civil engineer, and one of the corps who surveyed the greater part of Missouri and Arkansas. They moved from this county to California in 1850, and he there died, June 9, 1853. In 1869, C. C. Miller again returned to his native state, where he has since resided. He owns 180 acres of good land, most of which is under cultivation. Mr. Miller is a practical farmer and stock raiser, and a man of honest worth in the community in which he resides. He was married April 28, 1872, to Miss Mooney, a lady worthy in every particular of him. They have four children: Floyd E., Lena B., Nellie F. and C. C. They are members of the Christian Church and contribute liberally to its support.
(Source:  The History of Clinton County Missouri; published 1881; O.P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack)

DANIEL MILLER; lumber merchant, was born in Cumberland County, Pennsylvania, March 13, 1852, and was brought up with a mercantile experience, receiving a good business education. He embarked in business in Green Springs, Pennsylvania, where he continued until 1861, when he sold out and entered the One Hundred and Fifty-eighth Pennsylvania Infantry Regiment, commanded by Colonel Foster. He was quarter master and commissary of the regiment, and," after serving for two and a half years, he received an honorable discharge. He then returned to Pennsylvania, and in 1870, came to this county, buying a farm near this city, upon which he remained until 1873, when he came to Lathrop. In 1879, he took charge of the lumber business of Harriman & Waples. The old yard of O. M. Comfert & Co. was purchased by the present firm in 1878. From a small beginning, this yard has increased with the growth of the city, until now it is selling over $30,000 worth of lumber annually. They keep a full stock of sash, doors, blinds, etc. Mr. Miller is well known, and his manner of doing business calls forth the admiration of all. He married Miss Salina C. Wagoner, in Pennsylvania, in 1858. They have two children, Alfred and Mervin. Alfred is a carpenter by trade, and Mervin is clerking in a store. Mr. Miller is one of the leading business men here, full of enterprise and energy. He has been a member of the school board for some time.
(Source:  The History of Clinton County Missouri; published 1881; O.P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack)

J. W. MOORE; farmer and stock raiser, section 27, post office Gower, is one of the largest stock feeders in this township. He is a native of Virginia, and was born near Harper's Ferry, August 5th, 1847. His father, Milton Moore, came to Daviess County, Missouri, with his family, in 1847, and. afterwards, to Buchanan County, where the subject of this sketch was a resident for a number of years. Major Milton Moore is among the best known business men and farmers of Northwest Missouri. For many years he has been in the stock business, making his headquarters at Gower. J. W. located where he now resides in the spring of 1881. He is a thoroughly experienced stockman, and in his transactions is peculiarly clear and transparent. In 1869, Miss Fanny McClellan, of Clinton County, became his wife. They have six children: Milton, Willie, Hattie, Carrie, Neeley and Edward. Mr. M. belongs to the Central Protective Association.
(Source:  The History of Clinton County Missouri; published 1881; O.P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack)

VINCENT MORROW; farmer, section 23, was born in Orange County, North Carolina, November 18, 1808. He was raised a farmer, and received but limited educational advantages, although making the best use of what he had. He married Miss Sarah Jane Morrow, of Orange County, North Carolina, in 1835. They have, as the result of this union, six children: Robert S., Joseph M., Wm. V., Annie, Mary Jane, and Susan Emily. Mr. M. came to Ray County, Missouri, in 1842, and remained there until the spring of 1860, when he came to Clinton County, and bought his present farm. He commenced in life with very little means, and has moved quietly along, and has been moderately successful. His finely improved farm contains 210 acres. His son, William V. Morrow, was married to Miss Jennie Lambeth, August 24, 1881. Having started out under such favorable auspices, it is to be hoped that theirs will be a life of joy.
(Source: The History of Clinton County Missouri; published 1881; O.P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack)

Levi S. Munsell, M. D. The exacting and all important profession of medicine has found many able, loyal and zealous representatives in the various counties and communities of the vigorous young State of Oklahoma, and Beaver, the judicial center of Beaver County, is signally favored in having gained as a citizen a physician and surgeon of such distinctive technical attainments and such broad experience as are defined in the character and achievement of Doctor Munsell, who has here built up a large and representative practice and who holds high place as one of the leading members of his profession in Western Oklahoma.
In ascribing to Doctor Munsell special distinction of nativity the object is best attained by recalling the humorous paraphrase of a familiar quotation that was indulged in one of the famous post-graduate speeches of Hon. Chauncey M. Depew, when he said: ''Some men are born great, some achieve greatness, and some are born in Ohio.'' Under the last clause Doctor Munsell is able to make classification, for he was born at Coldwater, Mercer County, Ohio, on the 21st of September, 1841. He is a son of William A. O. and Deborah (Gray), Munsell.
William A. O. Munsell was born near Fletcher, Miami County, Ohio, in the year 1812, and, as the date indicates was a representative of one of the very early pioneer families of the old Buckeye State, where his father, Levi Munsell, initated the reclamation of a farm from the wilderness prior to the War of 1812, the original American progenitors having come from England and settled in this country in the early colonial days. William A. O. Munsell was reared to manhood in Ohio, and though school facilities were very meager in the locality, and period, he provided advantages for himself, and his alert and receptive mentality enabled him to become a man of large intellectual force and broad mental ken. He became a representative farmer in his section of Ohio and also labored with consecrated devotion and zeal as a minister of the Methodist Episcopal Church, in which he was what was commonly designated as a "local preacher." During the climacteric period of the Civil war he served as a United States marshal for the Northwestern district of Ohio. In 1888 he removed to Missouri, and he died at Cameron, that state, in 1902, at the patriarchal age of ninety years. Early in his career he had been prominently identified with the promotion of railroad building in Ohio, and he was a man of marked business ability as well as one of exalted personal character.
In the year 1825 was solemnized the marriage of Rev. William A. O. Munsell to Miss Deborah Gray, who was born in 1818, a daughter of David and Sarah Gray, and who was summoned to the life eternal in 1849. Of this union were born two sons and two daughters, of whom Elmore Y. and Mary Elizabeth are deceased, Doctor Munsell, of this review, having been the third in order of birth, and the eldest of the children being Sarah L., who is the wife of Stephen Frank, a representative farmer near Cameron, Missouri.
The common schools of Ohio afforded to Dr. Levi S. Munsell his early educational advantages, and at the age of twenty-three years he was matriculated in the Ohio Wesleyan University, at Delaware, in which he completed his higher academic studies. In preparation for the profession of his choice he entered the medical department of the University of Ohio, at Columbus, and in this institution he was graduated as a member of the class of 1870, and with the well earned degree of Doctor of Medicine. Establishing his residence at Geneva, Adams County, Indiana, he there continued in the active practice of his profession nine years, and during the ensuing nine years he was engaged in practice at Rockport, judicial center of Atchison County, Missouri, where he was associated in practice with his brother, the late Dr. Elmore Y. Munsell. In 1886 he removed to Wichita, Kansas, where he built up a substantial practice and where he remained until the latter part of the year 1889, when he came to Indian Territory, and became one of the pioneer physicians in the Old Chickasaw Nation. When, in 1891, the present Town of Chickasha was founded, he became one of its first settlers, and there he maintained his professional headquarters two years. In 1897 he located at the old Town of Hardesty, Beaver County, where he remained until 1900, when he established his home at Beaver, the county seat, where he has since continued in active practice and where, in point of years, he holds prestige as the dean of his profession in this county. He has been an active practitioner for forty years, has kept in touch with the advances made in medical and surgical science, has honored his profession by his character and efficient services and is worthy of special consideration in this history as being one of the pioneer physicians and surgeons of Oklahoma. The Doctor has served as coroner and also as health officer of Beaver County and has in all things closely identified himself with community interests, as a broad-minded and progressive citizen. His political allegiance is given to the republican party, he has attained to the thirty-second degree in the Ancient Accepted Scottish Rite of the Masonic fraternity, as an affiliate of the consistory in the City of Guthrie, and is identified also with the Knights of Pythias and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. He holds membership in the Methodist Episcopal Church, of which his wife was a lifelong and devoted adherent. He is a member of the Oklahoma State Medical Society and the American Medical Association.
At Coldwater, his native town in Ohio, the 1st of March, 1866, recorded the marriage of Doctor Munsell to Miss Elizabeth J. Young, daughter of Philip and Mary (Plummer) Young, who passed their entire lives in Ohio. Mrs. Munsell was born July 7, 1841, and the supreme loss and bereavement in the life of Doctor Munsell came when his cherished and devoted wife was summoned to eternal rest, at Fred, Oklahoma Territory, on the 2d of July, 1891, just five days prior to her fiftieth birthday anniversary. Of their seven children Paul and Fusia died young; Dayton is engaged in the banking business at El Reno, this state; Pearl E. is the wife of Thomas B. Carey, of Dallas, Texas; William O. is a resident of the City of Portland, Oregon; R. Netta is the wife of E. V. Roe, who maintains his residence at Caldwell, Kansas, and is in the railway postal service of the United States; and Grace A. is the wife of Robert Osborne, their home being now in the City of Detroit, Michigan.
Source:  “A Standard History of Oklahoma” Volume V; by Joseph B. Thoburn; copyright 1916; Transcribed by Andaleen Whitney]

 

Return to

Clinton County

Missouri

Genealogy Trails

Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.