Welcome to...
Clinton County, Missouri

Biographies
~ T ~

HARLAN P. THOMPSON; was born in Chenango County, New York, September 29, 1841. He was brought up on a farm, receiving a good education, and in 1861, at the breaking out of the rebellion, he enlisted as a private, in September, in Company A, Tenth New York Cavalry, and served under Sheridan; he was promoted to lieutenant, and for meritorious conduct was brevetted captain. In a terrible engagement on the 24th of June, 1864, he received a severe wound in his hip, which has since troubled him more or less. He received an honorable discharge, after which, in 1869, he came to Kidder, Caldwell County, Missouri, where he settled and engaged in farming and the nursery business. In the spring of 1877, Mr. T. came to Lathrop and engaged in working with George Patch, who was station agent at this city. After being employed in the depot for three years, he commenced business with Messrs. Muat & Benton, livery and sale stable, as their superintendent, having full charge of their livery business. His well known business qualities and his familiarity with this calling renders him a desirable man for the position he occupies.
(Source:  The History of Clinton County Missouri; published 1881; O.P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack)

S. H. THOMPSON; farmer and stock raiser, section 8, post office Plattsburg, owes his nativity to North Carolina, having been born in Orange County, March 11, 1810. His father, Samuel, moved to that state from Pennsylvania. S. H. spent his early days in tilling the soil of North Carolina, and there resided until 1836, when he became a resident of Clay County, Missouri. In 1843 he came to Clinton County, engaging in agricultural pursuits near Hainesville. He early was an eminent tiller of the soil in that section, and held the off1ce of justice of the peace for several terms. In 1867 he located where he now resides, his estate now consisting of 250 acres, 200 of which are under cultivation. His residence, an attractive one, is pleasantly located, and indicates comfort and taste. He was married in 1843 to Miss Elizabeth Hale, of Kentucky. By this union they have had five children, three of whom are living: James, Laura and John B.; lost two, Monroe and Annie.
(Source:  The History of Clinton County Missouri; published 1881; O.P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack)

JAMES TILLERY;  farmer and stock grower, section 26, was born in Woodford County, Kentucky, July 3d, 1818, and came to Clay County, Missouri, in 1821, with his father, James Tillery, they settling in that locality. In 1844, young James came to Clinton County, and bought his claim on which he has since resided, and which contains 180 acres of land. He married Miss Julia Ann Carter, of this county, but formerly of Kentucky, in 1846. They have three children living: Mary, John P. and William. When Mr. T. commenced business his property consisted of nothing but a pony. Possessed of a determination and will that knew no failing, he worked hard, made needed improvements, and soon was blessed with the necessary comforts of life. He now has a good farm, raises considerable grain and some stock. He was brought up in the faith of a Baptist, and now has two brothers Baptist preachers, and one a Methodist preacher. Mr. T. is universally respected, and has always endeavored to make himself useful and set before the young a good example. The years 1842 and 1843 he spent in the Rocky Mountains, for his health, hunting most of the time. Having regained his health, he returned, and is as active as most young men. His daughter is married, and his two sons are living on the home farm.
(Source:  The History of Clinton County Missouri; published 1881; O.P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack)

REV. W. W. TILLERY; farmer, is a native of Woodford County, Kentucky, and was born near Versailles, October 7, 1814. His father, James, was a native of that state, and in 1821, with his family, including W. W., emigrated to Missouri, and located in Clay County, three miles northwest of Liberty. He was one of the pioneers of that county, and was there engaged in agricultural pursuits. The subject of this sketch was here raised to manhood, receiving the benefits of the schools of that day, which were few in number and inferior in quality. He pursued the vocation of farming until 1856, when he came to Clinton County, locating where he now resides. Since that time, he has been interested in its agricultural developments, and its religious and educational progress. Mr. T. is liberal in his views, a deep thinker, and is possessed of excellent conversational powers. He assisted in suppressing the Morman diff1culties in Caldwell County, with which many of the old and new settlers are familiar. Mr. Tillery has occupied the pulpits of the Baptist Church for several years. He has been three times married. First, in 1838, to Miss Susan H. Poe. They had eight children, four of whom are living: Mary, Thomas, Emily and Jennie. Mrs. Tillery's death occurred January 6, 1856. On the 19th of April, 1857, Miss M. A. Poe became his wife, and by this marriage they had four children: Albert D., William, Annie B., now living, and Leander, deceased. Mrs. Tillery died July 19, 1867. On the 24th of May, 1869, he married Mrs. Maria C. Vermillion. By the latter union he has had five children: Embree D., S. J., Myra Grace, Gold Allen; lost one, Leander J. His father, James Tillery, was a resident of Clinton County, until his death.
(Source:  The History of Clinton County Missouri; published 1881; O.P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack)

JESSE B. TUGGLE; (deceased) was born in Virginia in 1811, and with his father moved to Knox County, Kentucky, and remained until he came to Clinton County. Missouri, in 1843. Here he bought 200 acres of land of a Mr. Potter, and soon had an excellent home. He married Miss Nitha H., daughter of George Denny, in 1846. By this union there were, nine children: Nannie, James M., Henry Clay, Mary Lizzie, Virginia Belle, Martha E. Susan Alice, George B., Jesse Pearl. Mr. Tuggle died in 1870, and left the large farm of 1,100 acres, on section 23, to his widow and children. Mrs. Tuggle has since kept the family together, the sons cultivating the farm. Few women could manage so large a farm and family as wisely and at the same time so judiciously. Mr. Tuggle was a Democrat in politics, but not an office seeker; still he was active at elections in helping to secure honorable and reliable men to hold important positions. He was not a member of any church, yet he contributed liberally for the support of the Gospel and benevolent objects, and did much toward the advancement of education. Mrs. Tuggle is a consistent member of the Presbyterian Church. She has a larger circle of warm friends than generally falls to the lot of one to enjoy.
(Source:  The History of Clinton County Missouri; published 1881; O.P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack)

THOMAS H. BENTON TURNER; attorney at law, was born in Sumner County, Tennessee, October 14, 1833. His father, Samuel R. Turner, was a native of Virginia, and moved to Clay County, Missouri, in 1833, settling near Liberty, where he bought a large farm, and also 700 acres in Jackson County. Young Thomas was there raised and received a common education, after which he took a regular course at the William Jewell College. This he completed in 1855 and then came to Clinton County, opening the first school taught in the Dale school house. He has followed teaching in this county for eighteen years, and has had experience for about eight years in the mercantile trade in Missouri, Illinois and Kentucky. In 1869, he returned to this locality and resumed teaching. He studied law while at college and was admitted to practice in 1867 at Owenton, Kentucky. He was there engaged in the practice of his profession for two years. Since 1872, he has taught school, practiced law, etc., in Lathrop, and is now (1881) agent for the Racine School Furniture Company, of Chicago. Mr. T. has been twice married. His first wife died in 1858, leaving two sons', Samuel R. and Thomas J. His second wife was Laura B. Brooking, to whom he was married in July, 1859. They had three daughters, Lizzie, Gertrude, and Rosie. Mrs. Turner died July 15, 1879. Mr. T. is an active member of the Christian Church. In his law practice he has an enviable record. His arguments arc sharp and to the point, and he occupies a prominent position among his fellow practitioners.
(Source:  The History of Clinton County Missouri; published 1881; O.P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack)

 

Return to

Clinton County

Missouri

Genealogy Trails

Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.