Welcome to...
Clinton County, Missouri

Biographies
~ W ~

SHERMAN J. WAFUL;  farmer, stock raiser and dealer, is the owner of 500 acres of land, a portion of which, together with his residence, is on section 26. He was born in Jefferson County, New York, August 2$, 1830, and came west in 1852, stopping at Kansas City and Westport for two years. He then removed to Kansas, being one of the early settlers of that state, and was a resident at Coon Point in 1854, and of Lecompton in 1855. During this time he was in various branches of business, his health not permitting him to engage actively in any one calling. In 1858, he came to Plattsburg, although he had previously been there in 1855, with the intention of making it his home. In 1861, he started in the livery business on a large scale, which he continued until 1868, when he sold out. Mr. Waful was the first one to run a hack, and to carry the mail and express from Plattsburg to Lathrop. This business he followed until the railroad was finished in 1861. In 1860, he went to Colorado for his health, roughing it for six months, when he returned. He was county assessor of Clinton County for the years 1871-2, discharging the duties of that office with ability, and to the satisfaction of all. In 1868, he bought his present farm of Jack Summers, .of Clay County, which he immediately commenced cultivating, making needed improvements, such as buying stock, farming implements, etc. He has farmed on an extensive scale, has fed large herds of cattle and hogs, and in all his undertakings he has been very fortunate. His residence is one of the best in the county. He is a democrat in politics, but has never been an office seeker. He has been a Mason and Odd Fellow for many years. Mr. W. married Miss Fmelinc Powell, January 18, 1866. They have eight children:
Charles C, James H., Elizabeth E., Sherman J., Jr., Mary B., Mordecai Oliver, John and Josie E.
(Source:  The History of Clinton County Missouri; published 1881; O.P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack)

JUDGE ELIJAH THOMAS WALKER; a representative citizen of the town of Cameron, was born in Clinton County, Ohio, January 1, 1844. He is the only child of Elijah Walker, and was born after the death of his father. His mother's maiden name was Nancy J. Rannels. She died in New Antioch, Ohio, in 1860. The early opportunities enjoyed by her only son were such as were afforded in the common schools of his neighborhood. He soon, however, displayed that spirit of enterprise and power of application which has resulted in ranking him with the successful business men of his county. At the early age of thirteen years, he took his first step in the active battle of life, and engaged as a clerk in a country store, at a salary of eight and one-third dollars per month. He then attended the high school of Martinsville, Ohio, and, subsequently, took a course in Barlett's Commercial College, Cincinnati. During the following winter he taught a district school in his own state. Teaching, however, was not destined to be the business of his life. The taste for mercantile pursuits, fostered in early youth, soon developed a success which determined his future course. Tempted by the voice of rumor, which early proclaimed in his hearing the vast and varied resources of the distant west, and more especially the growing importance of Western Missouri, he determined to try his fortune in the great land of promise and on the 12th day of April, 1865, landed in Cameron, Missouri. Soon after his arrival, he entered the service of the Hannibal and St. Joseph Railroad Company, in the capacity of telegraph operator, agent, etc. Here he remained three years. During that period he held an interest in the lumber and agricultural implement business as a member of the firm of C. E. Packard & Co. The business of this firm soon increased to such an extent that Mr. Walker was forced to relinquish his railroad agency, and devote his entire attention to his mercantile business. Shortly after, the firm changed, becoming Walker & Shaw, dealers in lumber, building material and agricultural implements, and doing the largest business of the kind in the city. His accuracy as a business man, coupled with his ever sustained reputation for integrity, no less than his frank address and unassuming demeanor, have secured Mr. Walker friends among men of all classes, and achieved for him a success which few, with his otherwise unaided opportunities, have succeeded in accomplishing. In the summer of 1869, he visited Danville, Illinois, where, on the 15th of June of the same year, he married Miss Cornelia A. Caldwell, daughter of George L. Caldwell, Esq., of that city. He soon after returned with his bride to Cameron. June 14, 1871, their only child, Jennie R. Walker, was born. On the resignation of Judge Cooper, Mr. Walker was, unsolicited by himself, appointed April 5, 1870, by Governor McClurg, to the vacancy thus occasioned on the county bench. The same popularity which marked his private life characterized his official career. In April, 1875, Judge Walker was elected a member of the town board of trustees. He was re-elected to the same position four times, serving uninterruptedly a period of five years. He also filled the position of city treasurer. January 1, 1875, Judge Walker purchased of his present partner, Captain J. S. Rogers, a half interest in the Park Bank, of Cameron, one of the reliable institutions of this county, and has since devoted his attention to this interest. He is a prominent and active member of the Masonic order in Cameron, and has filled successively the positions of Worshipful Master of Cameron Lodge No. 296, A. F. and A. M., High Priest of Cameron Royal Arch Chapter No. 67, and Thrice Illustrious Master of a Council of Royal and Select Masters. He has also been Junior Warden of Kadosh Commandery of Knights Templar, which was originally established in Hamilton, Caldwell County, and moved thence to Cameron. Judge Walker is also a member of the convention of Anointed High Priests of the state.
(Source:  The History of Clinton County Missouri; published 1881; O.P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack)

JACOB WALKER; farmer and stock raiser, section 34, post office Plattsburg. This popular gentleman is one of Clinton County's most respected citizens, and has contributed an ample share towards its development. He was born in Fayette County, Kentucky, July 31, 1809. His father, Henry, was a native of Maryland, and migrated to Kentucky at an early day. The subject of this sketch spent his early days on the farm, and resided in his native state until 1831, when he came to Missouri, locating in Clay County. There he resided until the spring of 1834, when he came to Clinton County, locating on the tract of land which he now occupies. The county, at that time, was sparsely settled, there being but few residents in his neighborhood. Mr. Walker opened a farm, and has since been a prominent person among the agriculturists of the county. He first entered 120 acres of land, and has been adding, at times, until his estate consists of. 250 acres of choice land conveniently located to Plattsburg. A neat and attractive residence adorns his farm. At an early day he discovered upon his land some springs, which possessed great medicinal properties, and for years was known as Walker's Chalybeate Springs. However, they were never brought prominently before the public until the spring of 1881, when the water was analyzed, and the name changed to that of the Peerless Springs, a sketch of which is given in another part of this history. Mr. Walker has been twice married; first to Miss Cynthia Fisher. By this union they had five children, three of whom are living: Sarah A., Nancy C. and John L.; two died in infancy. Mrs. W. died in 1837. The maiden name of his present wife was Charlotta Jones. By the latter union there were eleven children, ten now living: James H., Susan A., H. C, Permelia J., Brazelton A., Theo. F. (deceased), Alice G., Rebecca I., Thomas W., Edward J. and Fannie. The latter is married, and resides in Kentucky.
(Source:  The History of Clinton County Missouri; published 1881; O.P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack)

John Henry Walker. One of the most progressive and successful farmers and stockmen in Clinton County is John Henry Walker, owner of the handsome Evergreen Home Farm, located five miles northeast of Lathrop. His methods of farm and stock management show sound judgment, combined with thorough scientific knowledge of his vocation, and the results of his labors demonstrate the fact that high class farming is an occupation that may be made profitable as well as pleasant. Mr. Walker has lived in Clinton County all his career, and during this time has firmly established himself in the respect and esteem of his fellow citizens. His specialty is the breeding of high class hornless Shorthorn cattle, and his attention is also successfully directed to Berkshire hogs and poultry. For more than half a century the Walker family, through his grandfather, father and himself, have been successfully engaged as stock breeders and raisers. It was the distinction of his father, the late Riley Walker, to bring into Lathrop Township the first Shorthorn cattle. Mr. Walker has one cow which produces eighty five pounds of milk per day. She weighs 1,500 pounds, and is one of the finest animals in Northwest Missouri. Mr. Walker raises his cattle for butter making and calves, and that is the specialty by which he is best known not only in Clinton County but throughout this section of the state.
His father, the late Riley Walker, died September 17, 1900. He was born in Estill County, Kentucky, in 1826, and was seventy-four years of age at the time of his death. Riley Walker married Sarah J. McTaggart, a native of North Carolina, who died at the age of sixty-five. Their children were: Lizzie, who died at the age of thirty-four; Bird, who died in 1899 at the age of thirty-three; Samuel, also deceased; John Henry; Albert M., who is in the Percheron horse business at LaClede, Missouri; James D., in Arkansas; Mrs. John Crosset, of Excelsior Springs, Missouri. Mr. Walker's grandfather, John Walker, was born in Kentucky, and was one of the early settlers in Northwest Missouri, and was also successfully identified with the raising of horses, cattle and hogs. His home was in Clay County, near Liberty.
John Henry Walker was born on the old homestead September 24, 1854. His education came from the common schools, but the practical training for a successful career was largely derived from experience on the home farm. The Evergreen Home Farm comprises about three hundred acres of excellent land in Clinton County, and its fields are divided among blue grass pastures, meadows and the staple grain crops of the state. The farm has every equipment and facility for successful handling of stock. While Mr. Walker does not claim special distinction as a poultry man, he has for many years made that a profitable side line and raises a large flock of Bourbon Red turkeys and high grade Barred Plymouth Rock chickens.
In 1876 Mr. Walker married Rettie A. Potter, daughter of James A. Potter of Turney. Their children are: Ethel, wife of C. J. Roberts, of Cameron, Missouri; Earl; Lexie, at home; Eva; Virgil, who is married and lives near Turney; Paul, at home; Ida, in Cameron; Lincoln; Ora, wife of Floyd Young of Lathrop, and Jewell. He is a man of Christian principles, a student of the Bible, and has always identified himself with those moral movements which make for the betterment of any community. As a stock man he has always been interested in learning new methods is thoroughly informed on the general subject matter pertaining to his business, and through his own efforts has helped to make Clinton County one of the finer counties of Northwest Missouri.
[A History of Northwest Missouri, Volume 2; edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1918; Donated and Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack]

BARNARD WARD; farmer, section 19, post office Stewartsville, is a native of Pennsylvania, and was born in Northampton County, April 21, 1820. He has followed farming from boyhood. In 1839, he moved to Adams County, Illinois, where he remained till 1870, when he came to his present location. He now has a good farm of over 316 acres, well improved, and he is considered to be one of the most successful farmers in the county. His wife, also, has a farm of seventy-seven acres. He was married April 15, 1845, to Miss Ann Limb, a native of England. They have three children: Joseph H., George, and Mary A.
(Source:  The History of Clinton County Missouri; published 1881; O.P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack)

A. WATSON;  farmer and stock raiser, section 25, post office Mirabile. The subject of this sketch, was born on the 5th day of July, 1835, on a farm. After completing his common school studies, he received the advantages of a good academicals education, at Republic. He afterwards taught for a number of years, and, during that time, earned an excellent reputation as a thorough and competent instructor. In 1878, he purchased his present farm of 220 acres of land, which is well improved. He was married on the 20th day of November, 1862, to Miss Mary E. Whilhite, a daughter of Samuel Whilhite, an old pioneer of Clinton County. Their family consists of Mamie E., Mary B., Carrie D., William O., Clinton E., Evcllyn- S., Blanche and Christina L.
(Source:  The History of Clinton County Missouri; published 1881; O.P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack)

JAMES W. WATSON; farmer, section 30, post office Stewartsville, was born in Bond County, Illinois, January 12, 1848, and when two years of age his parents moved to Missouri and located in Clinton County, where he has since resided, except two seasons, during which time he was engaged in freighting on the plains. He has followed farming from boyhood, and now has a farm of 210 acres of improved land. Mr. W. was married November 13, 1873, to Miss Kansas Hoggatt, who was born in Knox County, Illinois, September 9, 1855. They have two children: Charley E., and Jessie L.
(Source:  The History of Clinton County Missouri; published 1881; O.P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack)

GRANVILLE WEAKLEY; farmer and stock raiser, section 2, post office Gower, is one who has done his part towards giving the county its present enviable reputation. He is a native of Shelby County, Kentucky, and was born September 17, 1811. His father, Thomas, is supposed to have been a native of Virginia. The Weakleys are of English ancestry. The subject of this sketch spent his early days in tilling the soil, and received a limited education in the old fashioned log school of that period. When a young man, he met with a serious misfortune, whereby one of his limbs was injured. He then forsook farming, and learned the harness making trade, which he followed for five years. In 1852, he came to Illinois, and, in the spring of 1853, came to Clinton County, locating where he now resides. He had many of the difficulties with which early settlers have to contend, but, being a man of sterling merit, and one not afraid of work, soon overcame these perplexities. His success in life is evinced from the fact that 475 acres of choice land now comprise his estate, the greater portion of which is under cultivation. Mr. W. was married, in Kentucky, to Miss Elizabeth Thralka. They have ten children: Mary, Eliza, Leander, Orin, Charlie, John, Willard, Orfie, Lucy and Thomas Jackson. Himself and family are members of the Missionary Baptist Church.
(Source:  The History of Clinton County Missouri; published 1881; O.P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack)

J. C. WEAKLEY; farmer and stock raiser, section 2, post office Gower, was born in Shelby County, Kentucky, November 1, 1830, and is a son of Thomas Weakley, who was a native of Virginia. In 1849, J. C. came to St. Joseph, Missouri, and in the autumn of 1853, located where he now resides. His estate consists of 243 acres of choice land. He has been twice married; first, in 1852, to Mary Thomas, by whom he had four children: Ella and Mary T., now living; two are deceased: Annie and Laura B. Mrs. W. died during the war. His second wife was Mary Lyons, and by this latter marriage there are four children living: Lulu D., Robert E., Ben F. and Ira. Lost one, John. Himself and family are members of the Missionary Baptist Church.
(Source:  The History of Clinton County Missouri; published 1881; O.P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack)

BRYANT WELSH;  farmer and cattle feeder, section 29, post office Lathrop, is a native of Crawford County, Ohio, and was born on a farm, on the 15th day of March, 1834. He received a good education, and spent his early life in assisting his father to drive cattle over the mountains to Philadelphia markets. At the age of twenty-one years he began business for himself by engaging in farming and stock speculations. In 1858, he closed out his affairs in Ohio, and moved to Knox County, Illinois, locating near Galesburg, where he purchased 160 acres of unimproved land. This he continued to cultivate, in connection with the stock business, until 1868, when he disposed of his property, and came to Clinton County, Missouri. He settled where he now resides, and is the owner of about 400 acres of well improved land. He is popular and agreeable with all; is quiet and unostentatious, and in business matters he stands prominent for his unswerving integrity and stability. Mr. Welsh was married on the 1st day of March, 1853, to Miss Margaret Stuckey, a native of Bedford County, Pennsylvania. Their family consists of Anna, George S., Harry M., Albert and Margaret, living, and Alice E., Jane and Emma, deceased.
(Source:  The History of Clinton County Missouri; published 1881; O.P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack)

ALFRED WHINSITT; farmer is the possessor of 200 acres of land on section 21. He was born in Orange County, North Carolina, January 9, 1805, and came to Missouri in 1830, settling in Clay County, and in 1839 he came to Clinton County. Here he bought a tannery near Hainesville, operated it for a while, when he sold out and bought a farm, which he subsequently disposed of and repurchased at different times. He finally bought his present farm of his father, who had settled there in 1839, and there he has since continued to live. Mr. Whitsitt was married in June, 1839, to Miss Sarah J. Baxter. They have seven children: Wm. W., Ann. James Y., Margaret, John B. and Sarah Adda. Mr. W. has belonged to the Christian Union Church for many years, and is a devoted member and liberal supporter thereof. He was one of the earliest settlers here, and has seen many hardships and passed through many trials and discouragements incident to pioneer life. These have been overcome, and now he is a man honored and respected by all, and one whose counsel is cherished by many.
(Source:  The History of Clinton County Missouri; published 1881; O.P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack)

H. M. WHITE; was born in Cattaraugus County, New York, August 12, 1833. When seven or eight years of age his parents moved to Berrien County, Michigan, where he was reared and educated. In the spring of 1871, he moved to Stewartsville, and shortly located on his farm, on section 24, La Fayette Township, Clinton County, and was there engaged in agricultural pursuits till 1877. At that time he removed to Stewartsville. but is still engaged in looking after the interests of his farm and stock. During the year 1880 he was engaged in the grocery business. He has also worked some at the carpenter's trade. Mr. W. was married, in December, 1861, to Miss Lydia M. Spaulding. She was born March 17, 1839, and is a native of Bingham, Somerset County, Maine. They have five children: George E., Lavina V., Hollis C, Mertie B. and Owen M.
(Source:  The History of Clinton County Missouri; published 1881; O.P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack)

GEORGE W. WHITSON; section 3, farmer and stock raiser, post office Gower. One of the earliest settlers of Clinton County, was Mr. Abraham Whitson, who was a native of Virginia. He was among the first to locate in Clay County, Missouri, and came to Clinton in the spring of 1833, and here he was closely identified with the development of the county, being one of the first to make his home in the vicinity of where Gower now stands, having located one mile south of that point. His death occurred in 1840. He was a public spirited and enterprising citizen, and was admired by all. He had been a soldier in the war of 1812. His son, G. W., was born in Tennessee, July 12, 1811, and came to this state with his father in 1821, living first in St. Louis County, thence to Saline County, and afterwards to Clay and Clinton Counties, where the greater portion of the time he has since been a resident. In 1837-8, he was in the Seminole war in Florida. In 1843, ne located in Platte Township, Buchanan County, residing there until 1846, and was one of the first farm openers and residents in that locality. In 1846, he returned to Clinton County, and settled where he now resides. His present estate consists of over 266 acres, the greater portion of which is under cultivation. Mr. W. is a well informed gentleman, and to him we are indebted for many valuable articles pertaining to the earlier settlement of Atchison Township. He was married in 1844 to Miss Nancy Smith. She is the daughter of Hugh Smith, of Mercer County, Kentucky. They have three children, John Madison, James Harvey, and Mary Frances. Mr. W.'s mother, formerly Miss Sarah Jeffries, died in Clinton County, in 1872.
(Source:  The History of Clinton County Missouri; published 1881; O.P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack)

JAMES A. WILKINSON; farmer and stock dealer, section 29, post office Stewartsville. The subject of this sketch was born, reared and has, with the exception of a short time, always lived in Clinton County, Missouri. The date of his birth was April 15, 1842. He has followed farming the principal part of his life. In 1861, he enlisted in the Confederate service, in Company I, of Hughes' regiment, and remained in the service for two years, six months of the time being held as prisoner. In 1865, he went to Montana, where he was engaged in freighting for nearly three years. During 1875-6, Mr. W. was engaged in the mercantile trade at Stewartsville. His landed estate consists of 360 acres. He was married February 9, 1868, to Miss Sue E. Pickett, of DeKalb County, Missouri. She died in the year 1876, leaving three children, one of whom is living—Annie. He was again married March 15, 1877, to Mrs. Mary Eulreken, of Missouri. Her maiden name was Krews. They have one child—Josie.
(Source:  The History of Clinton County Missouri; published 1881; O.P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack)

W. C. WILKINSON; farmer and stock dealer, section 28, post office Stewartsville, is a native of North Carolina, and was born in Orange County, December 25, 1829. When ten years of age his parents moved to Clay County, Missouri, and in one year located in Clinton County. He has followed farming from boyhood, and now has a farm containing twenty-two acres, all of which is well improved, he having between five and six miles of hedge fence. He also has 400 acres of land in DeKalb County, which he uses as a stock farm. Mr. W. was married August 27, 1857, to Miss Sophia Clause. She was born in Mason County, Kentucky, in the year 1839. They have four children: Netta, William F., Katie B. and Luella.
(Source:  The History of Clinton County Missouri; published 1881; O.P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack)

William F. Wilkinson. Prominent among the enterprising farmers of Clinton County that are bringing to their calling good business methods and excellent judgment is W. F. Wilkinson, of Lafayette Township, who is widely known as proprietor of Oakland Farm, and as a successful breeder of Shorthorn cattle, his herd being one of the finest in Northwestern Missouri. A son of the late W. C. Wilkinson, he was born in Lafayette Township, Clinton County, Missouri, August 4, 1860, coming from Scotch and English ancestry.
W. C. Wilkinson when a young man came to Missouri in search of work that should prove profitable. Poor in pocket, but rich in courage and ambition, he labored first for scant wages, but through persistent economy and thrift was able to save a little money, which he wisely invested in raw land. Using three yoke of oxen, he broke up the wild prairie, placed a part of it under a good state of culture, and as his means increased added to his original purchase, acquiring title to 600 acres of land in Clinton County. In addition to general farming he was extensively engaged in stock raising and feeding, carrying on a successful business for many, years. Retiring then from active pursuits, he located in Stewartsville, where he resided until his death. During the Civil war he served as a soldier in the Confederate army, doing his duty bravely. He was a democrat in his political affiliations, and an elder in the Presbyterian church. To him and his wife, whose maiden name was Sophia Close, children were born as follows: Mrs. Nettie Wiley, of Stewartsville; Mrs. Luella Kibbey, of Stewartsville; W. F., with whom this sketch is chiefly concerned; and Katie B. The mother, at the venerable age of seventy-five years, is still living.
Acquiring his elementary education in the district schools of his native township, W. F. Wilkinson had a practical drilling in the various branches of agriculture on the parental homestead, and naturally adopted farming as life work. Endowed with an unlimited amount of push and energy, he made a success of anything he undertook, and ere many years had passed found himself extensively engaged in stock breeding and raising, making a specialty raising a high grade of registered Shorthorn cattle, having at the present writing, in June, 1914, a fine herd of nearly forty Shorthorn cattle. Mr. Wilkinson's home place, known as the Oakland Farm, contains 357 acres of good land, and is advantageously located about two and one-half miles southwest of Stewartsville.
Mr. Wilkinson has been twice married. He married first, in 1890, Miss May Cummings, who died at the early age of twenty-five years. Mr. Wilkinson married for his second wife, April 27, 1897, Miss Alberta E. Ozenberger, who was born in Clinton County, and was brought up and educated in Stewartsville, Missouri, where her parents settled when she was a child. Mr. Wilkinson had two children by his first marriage, namely: Nellie May and Alma, but both died in infancy. By his second marriage he has one son, Willard F., born July 10, 1901. Since assuming possession of his valuable farm, Mr. Wilkinson has constantly added to the improvements previously inaugurated, the Oakland Farm, with its fine and substantial buildings, giving ample evidence to the passer-by of his skill and good taste as a practical agriculturist and rural householder.
[A History of Northwest Missouri, Volume 2; edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1918; Donated and Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack]

NELSON WILLIAMS; farmer, and patentee and manufacturer of the Williams' Eureka Washing Machine, section 17, post office Stewartsville, is a native of Fleming County, Kentucky, and was born March 21, 1829, and was reared and educated in his native state. His early life was that of a farmer boy. In 1851, he emigrated to Missouri and settled in Liberty, Clay County, and worked at the trade of carpenter and cabinet maker. He was married June 19, 1851, to Elizabeth DeMoss. In 1857, he removed to Clinton County and settled in Plattsburg, where he lived three years. Mrs. Williams died January 29, 1859, leaving one son, Thomas. In 1860, he removed to Platte County. He was again married April 3, 1861, to Malinda Bailey, a native of Virginia. The same year he changed his residence to Leavenworth, and, after residing there fourteen months, returned to Platte County, where he lived two years, and then, once more, made his home in Clinton County, and settled where he now lives. His farm contains forty acres of good land, well improved. He has, by his second marriage, four children: Anna F., Andrew J., Sarah J., and Charles J. Mr. and Mrs. Williams are members of the Christian Church. During the present year Mr. Williams has invented a washing machine, which, for simplicity, durability, utility and economy, is unequaled by any machine in use, coming as it does within the means of all.
(Source:  The History of Clinton County Missouri; published 1881; O.P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack)

Judge O. P. Williams. Through his efficient service as judge of Clinton County, Judge Williams came to be known over that rich and prosperous county, but his record as a successful business man, farmer and stockman had been established years before, and it is possible to say that few men have better utilized their opportunities and through quiet industry and intelligent application have gained more of the substantial rewards of effort. Judge Williams has one of the finest farms in Concord Township, comprising 780 acres of rich and highly developed land, and he is one of the leading taxpayers of his township.
Judge Williams was born in Clinton County in 1863, a son of Alexander B. Williams: His father was prominent as a farmer and stockman, and now lives retired near Turney. He was born in Cass County, Missouri, in 1837, and was five years of age when his father, Rev. Luke D. Williams, one of the best known among the pioneer Baptist ministers of Missouri, settled in Clinton County. Rev. Luke Williams died in middle life, leaving his widow and family of children, and it required strenuous efforts to keep the family together and provide for their support. The fact that the Williams family settled in Clinton County in 1842 marked it as one of the earliest to find homes in what was then a wilderness, since only five years before had the lands been opened to settlement by the Platte Purchase. Alexander B. Williams grew up with limited advantages so far as schooling was concerned, since it was necessary for his youthful energies to be employed in work at home, but in later years he more than made up for his early handicaps. Alexander B. Williams married a daughter of Moses McBeth, who also settled in Clinton County in Shoal Township in 1842 among the pioneers. Alexander B. Williams and wife had five children: Luke, 0. P., Moses M., B. F. and Annette Silvers. The mother of these children died at the age of twenty-nine, and Alexander B. then married Isabelle Daniels, and she was the mother of his remaining children, mentioned as follows: Ida, Alice, Cyrus, Fred, and May. Alexander B. Williams accumulated a large estate of 900 acres, did a large business in raising and shipping cattle, and though starting a poor boy found his way to success and prosperity. He was a member of the Baptist church.
Judge O. P. Williams grew up on his father's farm, acquired an education in the local schools, and at the age of seventeen began his career as a teacher. He taught in the home township four years, and there are a number of his old pupils who remember him as a capable and kindly schoolmaster. He then turned his attention to farming and the cattle business, and that has been the principal source of his success.
In 1885 Judge Williams married Mary Shoemaker, daughter of Peter B. Shoemaker, who came from Pennsylvania, and was one of the early settlers of Clinton County. He was prominent in the Brethren church. Peter B. Shoemaker married Susan Halsell.
Judge Williams has a home near Plattsburg that is rightly regarded as one of the best in Concord Township. The large house is furnished in style and good taste; there is a beautiful park-like lawn surrounding, and outside the domestic environs are the barns, the quarters for stock, implements and grain, and everything is managed with an eye to efficiency and profitable results. Judge Williams keeps about two hundred cattle and three hundred hogs, and is one of the leading shippers from this county.
Judge Williams was elected to the office of county judge of Clinton County in 1908, and led the republican ticket in the county. Besides this public service in his home county he was appointed one of the first regents at the newly established normal school at Marysville. Governor Folk appointed him to that position, and he did much to establish the school on a firm basis.
Judge Williams and wife have the following children: Rev. Bruce; Virginia, wife of P. S. Woods; O. P., Jr., who was a student in the University of Chicago three years; Catherine; Ruth; Frances, and John. The children have enjoyed good advantages in schools and colleges to
Farmers' Dual Purpose Kind
The more milk; the more, the quickest and cheapest beef. No Nurse Cows or Dehorning here. Our Calves nurse, are not stunted for want of milk, and not a calf born and raised on our farm ever tasted skimmed milk. Our surplus butter sold: In 1908 weighed 4,617 lbs., brought $1,087.59; 1909 weighed 4,064 lbs., brought $983.35; 1910 weighed 3,944 lbs., brought $1,144.51; 1911 weighed 5,415 lbs., brought $1,466.39. Bred by J. H. Walker, Lathrop, Mo.; Large, hardy, prolific; well covered with heavy fleeces. Bred by J. H. Walker, Lathrop, Mo. equip them thoroughly for useful lives.
Judge Williams is a member of the Baptist church, and their son, Rev. Bruce, is an active minister in the Brethren church, of which the judge's wife, two sons and one daughter are members.
[A History of Northwest Missouri, Volume 2; edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1918; Donated and Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack]

William T. Willis. Actively identified with one of the leading stock breeding and stock growing organizations of Northwest Missouri, W. T. Willis, member of the firm of Funkhouser & Willis, is part owner of one of the finest herds of Hereford cattle to be found in the state. The Funkhouser & Willis stock farm contains 500 acres of land, lying in Concord Township, one and one-half miles west of Plattsburg, and is admirably adapted for the raising of such grains and grasses as are necessary for the proper development of stock. The business now so ably managed by Mr. Willis was established by the late James A. Funkhouser, who was for main- years prosperously engaged in agricultural pursuits in Concord Township. From 1876 until 1882 he made a specialty of raising Shorthorn cattle. In the latter year he made a decided change, beginning the breeding of Herefords rather than Shorthorns, and as a breeder of that grade achieved prominence, accomplishing a good work in distributing throughout many states a meritorious class of stock.
W. T. Willis was born, bred and educated in Clinton County. At the age of eighteen years he began work on the Funkhouser Stock Farm, and ere many years became familiar with the business of a stock breeder and raiser, and a member of the well-known firm with which he is still connected. Continuing the breeding of Hereford cattle, Mr. Willis is now one of the leading dealers in that breed of cattle, keeping on an average of two hundred head on his farm, and shipping to the leading ranchmen of Texas, Oklahoma, New Mexico, Arizona, Colorado, and Wyoming by the carload, the productions of his famous herd commanding the highest market prices, and meeting with a ready sale.
[A History of Northwest Missouri, Volume 2; edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1918; Donated and Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack]

J. S. WILSON;  lumber merchant, was born in Logan County, Illinois, in 1833. The elder Wilson came to Grundy County, Missouri, while his family were young, and bought a farm on which they were reared and educated. After receiving an excellent education, J. S. Wilson entered a store, as clerk, where he received a good business experience. He opened an establishment at Spring Hill, Livingston County, where he remained for six years. In the spring of 1869, he came to this city, engaging in the lumber business, and has built up a trade which, though constantly increasing, has kept pace with the growth of the town, and the demands of the people. Mr. W. has been a member of the school board for two years, and has been greatly interested in building up the schools of the city. To him much credit is due for the erection of the beautiful school building, which is the pride of the city. Having been an early settler, he has done much to shape the enterprises of the city. His business has grown till it is one of the largest and most important in Lathrop. By his straightforward dealing, he has gained the confidence of the community, and has become one of its honored citizens. He married a Miss Mary E. Miller, in Livingston County, in 1858. They have children: Walter Scott, Lizzie, Leon, Mollie and Lena.V.
(Source:  The History of Clinton County Missouri; published 1881; O.P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack)

JAMES A. WINN; farmer and stock raiser, section 11, post office Grayson, stands prominent among the representative agriculturists of this district. He is a native of Kentucky, and was born November 7, 1832. He was there raised and educated, and, in 1850, emigrated to California, settling in Placerville. There he embarked in mining, which he followed two years, and afterward removed to this state, and settled on the place where he now resides. He has 395 acres of land, most of which is under cultivation, and upon which is a nice residence. His improvements generally, are of the first order. He has been twice married. First, to Miss Virginia A. Dunlap, a native of Virginia. They had, by this union, three children: Emmet G., Charles D., and John. Mrs. Winn's death occurred May 13, 1873. He was again married December 15, 1874, to Miss Carrie C. Tremble. They have, from this marriage, two children: William B. and Annie M. Mr. W. is a member of the Protective Association. He and his wife belong to the Presbyterian Church, and are liberal supporters of the same.
(Source:  The History of Clinton County Missouri; published 1881; O.P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack)

J. T. WOOD; The subject of this sketch is a man of high moral standing, of an industrious disposition, and one constantly devoting his time to the interest of his business. He is a native of Reynolds County, Missouri, and was born on a farm on the 11th day of May, 1855. He there resided, assisting his parents in tilling the soil, his education being completed under the tutorship of Professor N. G. Jacks. At the age of twenty years he went to Grayson County, Texas, and spent about thirteen months traveling through Texas, the Indian Territory and Kansas, returning to his home in 1875. The following fall he moved to Platte County, locating near Platte City, where he remained some three years pursuing the occupation of a farmer. In 1879 he visited his parents in Reynolds County, and spent the winter in fox and deer hunting. The following spring he returned to his place of business in Platte County, there continuing until September To, 1880, when he closed out and returned to the old homestead and took charge of his father's farm and stock. He is now doing a thriving business, and bids fair to become one of Reynolds County's most prominent and wealthy citizens.
(Source:  The History of Clinton County Missouri; published 1881; O.P. Williams & Co.; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack)

Robert C. Woodward. Proprietor of the Woodward Heights Farm at Plattsburg, a former sheriff of Clinton County, prominent in business and as a democratic leader, the name Robert C. Woodward is probably known in every community in the county, and wherever known it is recognized as synonymous with business integrity and fidelity to trust.
Robert C. Woodward was born in DeKalb County, Missouri, September 29, 1849, the year in which the great exodus of Missourians and of adventurous young men from other states to the California gold fields. Vol. His father was Enos J. Woodward, who was born near Liberty, in Clay County. The family came to this state from Kentucky and was among the early settlers. Enos Woodward had a career that brought him intimate experience in the stirring life of the Middle West during the decade of the '40s and '50s. He spent a number of years as a freighter with teams of oxen from St. Joseph on the Missouri to Denver and Salt Lake City, also hauling supplies to the Government forts on the frontier. This work brought him into almost constant contact with hardship and the dangers of Indian and outlaw, and he was one of the hardy plainsmen of the early times.
He married Elizabeth Johnson, daughter of Judge Robert Johnson, a pioneer in Clay and Clinton counties. The Johnson family came from Virginia. Enos W'oodward and wife were the parents of nine children, three sons and six daughters: David H., of Marshall County, Kansas; Samantha, wife of J. B. Leftwich, of Easton, Missouri; Claud, wife of Charles Wingate, of Sedalia, Missouri; Mrs. Kate Grimes, of Saxton, Missouri; Mrs. Nancy, wife of Jacob Brumm, of Hemple; and Mrs. Dora Crouse, deceased. Enos Woodward died at the age of fifty-one. After his trading experience he was a farmer and stockman, was a member of the Masonic order, and active as a democrat, and was a Baptist in religion. His widow still occupies the old homestead farm, and is eighty-six years of age.
Robert C. Woodward grew up at home, learned the lessons of industry while acquiring knowledge of books in the public schools, and at the age of twenty-eight married Mary E. Newman, daughter of W. R. Newman. To their marriage were born the following children: Mattie Ditmars, who died in 1911; Manly G., assessor and one of the well-known officials of Clinton County; William P., who lives in Caddo County, Oklahoma; Georgie E. Thompson, of Plattsburg; Elizabeth, who died young; Catherine, wife of P. C. Marshall, of Kansas City; and Ruth. Mrs. Woodward died July 3, 1899. Mr. Woodward married his present wife September 10, 1902. Her father was R. B. Briant, a well-known citizen in the vicinity of Turney. Mr. Woodward had one daughter, Lucile, by his present wife, a bright and promising child, who died at the age of seven years.
Mr. Woodward has always prospered as a farmer and stock raiser, and besides his fine farm is the owner of some town property, and has one of the best improved rural homes in the vicinity of Plattsburg. He was elected sheriff of Clinton County in 1895 and held that office until 1899, making a record of efficiency seldom surpassed in the administration of the sheriff's office. He has always taken much interest in politics, and has served as a delegate to three national democratic conventions. He was a doorkeeper in the convention at Kansas City in 1900, and was also in the last convention at Baltimore in 1912. He is a member of the Christian church and his wife of the Methodist church. .
[A History of Northwest Missouri, Volume 2; edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1918; Donated and Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack]

 

Return to

Clinton County

Missouri

Genealogy Trails

Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.