History of Cole County
Indian Occupancy.—During the wars between the Missouri a and Sacs and Foxes, the Osages held the greater part of Southern Missouri and parts of Arkansas. Their chief town was on the Osage, in Vernon County, in 1719, for there Du Tissent visited the tribes that year, and in 1785 Port Carondelet was built there by the Spanish authorities, and Pierre Chouteau, Sr., appointed commandant; as he was interested in the fur trade at that time, and had his couriert de bois plying their oars on the great river of the tribe. In 1804 the treaty of St Louis bound the Osages in amity with the Sacs and Foxes, and about this time the Little Osages came to dwell with the more powerful tribe, raising the force of warriors to 1,300 and the number of the tribe to 6,300. In 1808 they ceded a large area to the United States, and Fort Osage was built and garrisoned for the better protection of their hunters from the fierce Sacs, who in the wilderness always forgot treaty stipulations, Mr. Meagher, in his paper on the subject of the Osage occupation, says:
By this treaty they relinquished not only the proprietary right, but the right to bunt In all the territory east of a line running due south from Fort Osage to the Arkansas River. Nevertheless, they continued for a number of years afterward to make hunting excursions into this county, their visits growing less sod less frequent, until they ceased altogether. Though the red man no longer makes this county his hunting and his battle-ground, he has left behind him reminders of his presence in the form of arrow-heads, spear-points, hatchets, axes, etc. These weapons and implements of dint, porphyry and granite, fashioned with the aid of the rudest appliances, evidence a skill In their making which the more intelligent while man has tried in vain to imitate. Several collections of these relics have been made within the last ten or fifteen years. In the spring of 1870 Oscar W. Collet, in a tour of the county, collected relics and specimens for the Missouri Historical Society, among them a large number of fine arrow-heads, spear-points, etc. Dr. N. DeWyl, of this city, has also been an industrious collector. He has In his possession a large stone ax, weighing nine pounds, a stone spade and a stone knife of exceedingly fine make. Some of the arrow-heads of perfect workmanship are not more than half in length. The late Ellas Elston, of Elston Station, was the possessor of a very large and valuable collection of these surface finds. The most notable, perhaps, of those secured by him were about a dozen spear-points, varying In length from twelve to eighteen inches. Their unusual length made them objects of much interest, and several of the finest finally found their way into the collection of the Missouri Historical Society. A collection of curious relics and specimens from all parts of the county Is owned by H. It. Holley, of this city. Many of the specimens are rare and unique. Embraced in this collection are large numbers of arrow-heads, spear-points, axes, hatchets, etc., found in the county. In a farm-yard, about a mile and a half southwest of the city, is a large piece of granite, weighing perhaps 100 pounds. It Is shaped like the ordinary stone ax, and has near its head the groove found in these implements. The edge end Is sunk in the ground about a foot. Its form being that of the ordinary stone axes, the question arises why was it made of such extraordinary size? It Is the only one of the kind ever heard of, even by those possessing a wide reputation concerning their knowledge of the Indian relics of the country. 8. K. Miller, in a communication recently published in the Jefferson City Tribull, says that about the year 1866 Maj. Cochran, warden, and Capt. W. H. Bradbury, deputy warden, of tho Missouri Penitentiary, in grading Madison Street found two wells filled with pure white sand, one situated in front of the site of the governor's mansion, on the west side of the street, near the sidewalk, the other directly east of it, near the residence of Maj. Bayse. These wells are described by Capt. Bradbury as white sand pillars, eight feet In diameter, the sand being perfectly separated from tho clay. They were met with four feet below tho surface, and near by charcoal was found at the same depth. Mrs. Susan Stuart and Miss Elizabeth Bayse, now the oldest residents of the city, having settled here in May, 1826, saw these wells, and their account of them agrees with that of Capt. Bradbury. They say that the sand was hauled away by citizens of the town. The sand found in these two wells is supposed to have been obtained from a place about a mile and a half west of this city, on land now owned by George T. White. Like the other ancient monuments they probably bad a religious significance.
Indian souvenirs are not confined to Cole County alone in this district. Edmund Burke, of California, and other collectors of antiquities in Moniteau, have many strange witnesses of Indian occupation. White Settlers.—The earliest settlement made within Cole County as now constituted was that by the Tennessee colony in 1815-16, at the mouth of the Moniteau. The war waged with England to maintain the rights of the young Republic was won by the soldiers of Tennessee and Kentucky. Lewis and Clarke had made known throughout the country the beauty of the Missouri region, and the United States had completed treaties with the original red owners, built forts for their protection from other warriors, and opened the highway for immigration. Among the members of the Moniteau party were John Inglish and his four sons, Henry McKenney and three sons, James Miller and five sons, James Fulkerson and three sons, David Young and three sons, John Mulkey and two sons, Dave Chambers and three sons, William Gooch and four sons, Martin Gooch and two sons, John Harmon and one son, and Joshua Chambers and two sons. John Inglish, who built tho first brick house in the county, located just west of the mouth of the Moniteau, and Henry McKenney, on the opposite side. Judge Inglish died in 1844, the first of the male pioneers to pass away, and Joshua Chambers, the last, in 1878.
In 1819 there came to this locality James Hunter, the first colonel of Cole County Militia; John Hensloy, the first tavern-keeper and first senator of Cole County, and his two sons, who settled two miles north of Elston; John Colgan, Dr. John Brown and Andrew Reed, who settled on the south bank of the Missouri, nine miles west of Jefferson City. In May of that year the steamboat Independence steamed up the river, and soon after came the United States surveyors. In 1820 the first townships were opened for entry, and then flocked thither the pioneers of the second period, who came to cultivate the land, or trade.
Fractional Township 44 north, Range 10 west, shows Francis Coutelmya claim of 640 acres, located under New Madrid Certificate 320; also Francis Frenchard's claim of 160 acres, under Certificate 513; also John Patterson's 640 acres, west of the mouth of the Osage, and fronting on that river and on the Missouri, and John Roberts' 840.28 acres, made in 1820, on Sections 10, 21, 28 and 34, in the bend of the Osage. Islands 47, 48, 49, GO and 51 are shown, and also Section 11 Island.
Township 45, Range 13, was first entered on Section 8, by George Tompkins, May 25, 1821; next on Section 27, by James Kenny, Sr., and Dave Chambers, on Section 22; next opposite Island No. 44, by John Brown, in 1825; but James M. Fulkerson's entry on Section 27 was made in 1824; A. C. Davis in 1820, while William Hynes entered in 1826, Thomas Miller, Joseph Mead and Robert Kenny in 1827, on Section 34, and Richard and Andrew Miller on Section 33. In 1830 Jacob Colvin entered lands on Section 34, and in 1828 Johnson Wade on Section 10, and in 1830 John Gouge on Section 26. Prior to 1838 to find James Redmon, John McLaughlin, John Austin, James Durham, James McLaughlin, Joshua Chambers, Steve Snow, Sam Lawson, John Nevens, I. B. Reed, William Gilmore, John Kinnly, David Murray, Joseph Bond, Jr., William Buckner, F. M. Fulkerson, James A. Crump, John Usher, Johnson Taylor, John McKenney, Joshua Landrum, James Durham, Ionia Murray, James Chambers, Henry McKenney, Tilman Leach, Isaiah Lemell, Lodowick Moad, C. McLaughlin, Andrew Collett, Gott. Sperber and J. C. McCrea.
Fractional Township 46, Range 13, bordering on the Missouri, was first entered in May, 1821, by Dau. McKenzie and George Tompkins on Section 31. E. V. Hollingsworth purchased here in 1833; while William MoKenzie was the owner of all tho land in Section 80, and about nine acres, forming all the land in the southwest quarter of Section 29. A. L. Langham claimed 4.81 acres, or all the land in southwest quarter of Section 19; James Moad the northwest quarter of Section 31, while the southwest quarter, was reserved for schools.
Township 45, Range 12, bordering on the Missouri River, was first entered by Angus L. Langham in January, 1822, on Sections 34 and 35; Alex. Gordon bought on Section 27 in 1825-28; Harden Casey, John Wyatt and John Hardeman on Section 34, in 1826; John Brown, in 1822; Jonathan P. Martin, in 1826; Job Goodall, in 1886, and Samuel Sapp, in 1887, on Section 28; Squire P. Walsee on the river bank, on Section 8, in 1829; Robert Carter on Section 17, in 1834, while Patrick Connors bad all Section 18 under a New Madrid certificate. W. and T. T. Stewart located on Section 7, in 1831; D. Coulter and William Stone on Section 19, in 1826; William W. Lane, on Section 30, in 1826; Henry Buckner, on Section 29, in 1830, and James Coyle in 1836; Joel Melton, in 1827, on Section 33, and Jonathan Hunt on same section in 1832; John Shore entered lands on Section 32 in 1827, and John McLaughlin, on Section 30, in 1882.
Township 44, Range 18, was first entered on Section 10, in 1823, by Mitchell Reynolds, and SoL Waggoner on Section 15; on Section 1, in 1831, by John W. Wells, followed in 1832 by Thomas Miller on Section 2, and Robert Kenny in 1833; William Shipley, John Stark, J. Scruggs, Thomas G. Stark, Jacob Colvin, James H. Grandy, Sol. Waggoner, W. Hensley, buying bibo that year. In 1835 Jerry Meadows purchased on Section 21, also Amos Williams and John Roes; and Thomas L. Savage on Section 35. Susannah Hackney bought on Section 15 in 1834, and James Hobbs on Section 36. A. Gordon, William Johnson, Charles Kennon, William D. Meredith, Curtis Johnson, Joel Meadows, Jonathan Hunt, Andrew Ross, Jesse Williams, R. D. Prine, William Chambers and Hiram G. Walker purchased in 1836.
Township 43, Range 13, was first entered by Hugh Gartin in 1823, on Section 34; Edward McDaniel and Drury Davis buying there in 1825, and Eliza Messersmith in 1828; B. M. Smith in 1826, and Israel Newton in 1830, bought on Section 32; K. S. and E. Clark on Section 35, and W. B. Ragsdale in 1827; Louis French in 1828, and George T. Boies in 1836 or 1826, and between 1836 and 1856 the whole township became private property, among the buyers of 1838-36 being the Warfields, Merrita, Howards, Strongs, 8. W. Hinds, Abram Musiok, Thomas H. Taylor, Jacob Hale, W. 0. Parker, James Thompson, Xenophon B. White, T. H. Phillips and William Dougherty.
Township 43, Range 14, was first entered in 1823, on Section 2, by Elisha Jobe and B. W. Russell. There, also, Howard Hayse bought in 1831; Dave Scrivner in 1832, and Absalom Flippen in 1835. In 1824, William Braewill located on Section 9; in 1832, James Morrow, and in 1886, James Tomlinson.
Daniel Dugan bought on Section 10 in 1827, William Stevens and John Amos in 1831, Jacob Souder in 1827. Pierre Chouteau bought the northwest quarter of Section 15, in 1827; Jacob and David Howard on Section 11, in 1830; John Berry on Section 13, in 1836; William G. Simmons on Section 23, in 1836, and James Ryan on Section 34; John Farris on Section 29 in 1837, and Nathan Proctor on Section 23. In 1889 and 1840 several tracts were purchased, and by 1857 the whole was private property.
Township 44, Range 14, was first entered by Richard Miller, in 1823, on Section 36, near where William Robertson bought in 1831, and William Suggs in 1832. Thomas G. Stark bought on Section 35 in 1829; John Yount bought there in 1831; Charles Stark in 1832, also Ransom Amos; and in 1831, B. W. Russell; William Leslie purchased in 1836, on Section 27, and Isaiah T. McGirk in 1838, on Section 22; Hiram Crocker in 1836, on Section 14; and C. A. Warfield in 1836, on Section 3; Smith Yount, Shadrack and A. Murray in 1836, on Section 12; John W. McGirk on Section 15, in 1832; and Richard Morris on Section 36, in 1839.
Township 44, Range 12, was entered by James McMinn and Sam. Skidmore, in 1823, on Section 35; Robert A. Ewing, in 1825, on Section 13; Denis Askins on Section 36, in 1826; John Brown, on Section 12, in 1823; Augustine K. Langan, 1823; Louis H. Scruggs and John Scruggs, 1825; Amon Inglish, 1827, on Sections 17 and 18; George Tompkins and Joseph Cooley, on Section 11, in 1822; A. L. Langhsm, in 1822, and William Leintz, in 1826, on Section 12; William Hunter, in 1823 on 3, John Hardeman, in 1826, and Benj. and Wash. Riggins, in 1827, on Section 3; T. M. Scrantou, on Section 4, in 1833; McD. Dorris, in 1832; William Harris, Thomas McCaul and James Coffett in 1833, on Section 7, and John Waggoner on same section in 1830; William Steely, H. Shadwick, John Wyatt and Michael Hanlon settled on Section 8 between 1834 and 1887; Granville Basye bought on Section 30 in 1828; James A. Mahon, on Sections 19 and 20, in 1836, and John Pitman, in 1833; William N. Melton, on Section 29, in 1834; George W. Gordon, William Peyton, W. P. Riggins, M. A. Harnisch, G. B. Frisch, Peter Zumwalt, John W. Wells, J. B. Reed, Robert N. Norris, James Sone, F. G. Kock, James Roso, James C. Short, 0. C Piper, "William Moore and a few others purchased in this township in the 30's.
Township 44, Range 11, waa first entered under New Madrid certificates. No. 317, to Thomas Welborn; No 53, F. Frenchard; No. 270, F. Langlois; No. 607, John B. Barseloux; No. 341, Jacob Milliken; No. 100, Jacob DeToro, and No. 428, credited to La Bruesseine. Sections 7, 8, 17, 18 and parts of 19 and 20 are shown as reserved for the seat of government. The first land sales in this township wero made in 1823, to Joab Barton, on Section 28, south of the Devore claim; to Ramsey and Ewing in 1824. on the Bouthwest corner of Section 9; William Hickman, the southwest quarter of Section 28, in 1824; W. M. k J. R. Lamkin, in 1825, on Section 30; John Dunnica, on Section 29, in 1826; Isaac Braden, on Section 33, and J. S. Ferguson, on Section 27, in 1825; John S. Ferguson, on Section 27, in 1833; John Clendennen, on Section 23, in 1827; Reason Sansbury and William Bolton, south of State grounds, in 1835, and T. L. Price and I. Bolton, in 1836. In the years just named John Dunnica bought the north half of Section 21; Reason Sausbury aud John Dunnica entered lands on Section 29 in 1826, and ten years later William L, George W. and Thomas H. Gordon, W. S. Fitzgerald, William R. Rice and John S. Ferguson bought south of the State grounds. Robert A. Kwing bought on Section 27 in 1833; W. H. Moore, J. A. Crump and R. M. Griffith, in 1836; Benj. M. Lisle bought on Section 26 in 1836, also Stephen C. Dorris. and in 1833 Reuben Garnett purchased here; Allen P. Richardson purchased on Section 22 in 1834, and Samuel Lawson in 1836.
Township 42, Range 13, was opened for entry in 1824, when Keton Murah made his land purchase; Drury Davis and William H. Duvall bought on 8ection 8 in 1825; John Robinson, in 1827; James Reed and S. & Robinson on Section 4, in 1827; James Sims, in 1828; Levi W. Laughlin, in 1830, William Farmer, in 1885, and John Wilkins, in 1834, on 8ection 5 j James C. Maokay, in 1829, on Section 8; John Shipley and John Robinson on Section 9, in 1827; while the southern and western sections were purchased from 1886 to 1$59, all being the property of private owners before the war.
Township 43, Range 12, was first entered on Section 4, by William Hunter, in the year 1824; on Section 2, by James Gordon, in 1826; while Ephraim Clark bought in the bend of the Osage, on Section 35, in 1832. In 1835-40 a number of entries were made: Edward W. Ward, on Section 4; A. Blevins, on Section 3; James Rose, on Section 11; T. B. and William P. Riggins and W. Padget, on Section 9; Fred. Rouchelbach, on Section 20; J. Holtzbarlien, Pierce and James Connell, James Riggins and William Trimble, on Section 20, in 1835-86; Hiram Reavis, George T. Boyce, A. T. Wilcox and Joseph Farmer, in the southwest sections, in 1833-36.
Township 43, Range 11, was first entered on Section 22, by A. J. Walker, in 1825; on Section 7, by Abraham Gibson, in January, 1826; on Section 5, by William Munteer, in 1827; on Seotion 6, by John Skidmore, in 1830; on Section 29, by A. J. Walker, in 1832; while in 1833 Louis Bolton bought in that neighborhood, William Dixon on Section 18, and William S. Fitzgerald on Section 4. Id 1836 James and John Courtwright bought on Section 34, and James Herndon on Section 19; Charles Bolton purchased on Section 4, in 1834; W. B. Napton, on Section 5, in 1838; Wade Hampton, on Section 6, and William B. Rice, on Section 5, in 1835. In the northwestern corner of the county Orestes Prince bought in 1885; Robert W. Wells, in 1836.
Township 46, Range 14, was entered by Angus L. Langham, on Sections 13 and 24; but in 1827 David Yount located lands in the same section, while John Inglish purchased on Section 25; on this section David Wallan also bought in 1832; Daniel McKenzie purchased on Section 36 in 1833; Cato, " a man of color," in 1835; William Hickum, in 1837, and Stephen Fisher, in 1839.
Township 43 north, Range 10 west of fifth meridian, contained 22,803.23 acres of land and 471.97 acres of water, being the area of the Osage and Moreau Creek.
Township 45, Range 14, was first entered on Section 24, by William F. Dunnica and James H. Hayter, in 1828. Squire Wadi, Johnson and Wright and 0. A. Warfield purchased in the central sections in 1886; Otho Rannebarger on Section 26 in 1835, and Nathan Shirley. During the decade ending in 1850 a few tracts were purchased, but in 1852-57 the greater area passed from the United States to private owners.
Township 42, Range 12, was entered west of the Osage River, on Section 35, by Joseph Russell, in 1832; on Section 34, by Louis Bolton and Abram F. Russell, in 1837; on Section 21, by D. F. Clendennen, in 1833; Waller Bolton and Whitley F. Fowler, in 1887, who also entered lands on Sections 3, 4 and 9 in the years given; William Hoskins, on Section 5, in 1837, and W. B. Ragsdale, on Section 18, in 1839-40. The Gleasbys, Isaac Barton, John McKensie, F. W. Sandford, Lewis Bolton and Herman Scheulin came in 1840, while in 1836, Robert & Barnes; in 1837, James M. Fowler, and in 1841 Thomas B. Dixon and Joseph Rote located on Sections 1, 11 and 12.
Township 42, Range 11, in the great bend of the Osage, was opened for entry in 1836, when William Herndon bought 48.75 acres fronting on the river on Section 15; Joseph Gamble and John 0. Edwards, in 1837; Herndon also bought on Section 11, and Gamble on Section 10, in 1887; John J. Skidmore bought on this section in 1836; in 1832 William Herndon bought on Section 9; in 1836, John Courtwright, on Section 4, and in 1837, Lewis Bolton. In 1837 E. L. Edwards and J. C. Gordon purchased lands fronting the river, on Section 7, while on the southwest bank, in Seotion 18, Whitley F. Fowler purchased in 1883-36.
The great majority of land buyers were at once resident pioneers and improvers, so that this list, in conjunction with the concluding pages of this chapter, the transactions of the county and circuit court, and the military chapter will cover very many names identified with Cole County from 1816 to the close of the war.
The marriage record of Cole County dates back to June 28,1821, when George A. Pettigrew, a justice of the peace, solemnized the marriage ceremony between James B. Dunaway and Sally Howard- Among the earliest marriages recorded are the following:
October 37. Charley Mulkey and Bally Eada, by Thacker Vivion. J. P.
October 10, Pleasant Connor and Eliza Cooper, by G. Pettigrew, J. P
December 4, Levi Odeneille and Eliza Johnson, by Thacker Vivion. J. P.
January 5, William Landrum and Polly Mulkey, by Thacker Vivion, J. P.
June 23, Eliaha Spiva and Franky Thacker, by Thacker Vivion, J. P.
June 30, Michael Reynolds and Nancy Taylor, by Judge Stark.
July 4, William Allen and Nancy Moad, by George A. Pettigrew, J. P.
July 4, Jonathan P. Martin and Polly Inglish, by George A. Pettigrew, J.P.
July 25, Thomas Miller and Margaret Kenyon, by Thacker Vivion, J. P.
September 15, John Berry and Nancy Claybrook, by Judge Stark.
January 7, John Clendennen and Susan Barton, by J. F. Royston, J. P.
April 8, John Allen and Mary Eads, by Benj. Proctor, M. G.
May 4, Jacob Soudder and Rebecca Melton, by Isaiah Stephenson, J. P.
June 6, Robert Best and Carrie Taylor, by Judge Wade.
August 20, Charles Stark and Sally Amos, by Drury Davis, J. P.
August 24, Thomas Stark and Leah Vernon, by Drury Davis, J, P.
August 24, James Inglish and Polly Vivion, by John B. Longan, M. G.
September 29, Green D. Walker and Mary Hensley, by Judge Wade.
December 5, Johnson Wade and Sally Moad, by Ben. Proctor, Methodist.
August 21, James Claybrook and Lydia Hensley, by Judge Stark.
November 18, William Stephen and Rebecca Amos, by David Allen, M. G.
November 13, John Amos and Polly Stephen, by David Allen, M. G.
December 17, James Kiggeris and Nancy Eads, by Drury Davis, J. P.
There were 533 marriages recorded between the years 1821 and January, 1852, inclusive, a period of thirty-one years. There were sixty-three marriages recorded between February, 1852, and the close of 1864. There were 953 solemnized between January, 1865, and April, 1872. The marriage index, opened by Maj. Lusk in August, 1872, and continued to May, 1881, shows 987 marriages performed, and from that period to February, 1889, the number solemnized was 1,074, or a total of 2,623 since the beginning of the record. The divorce law of January 31, 1833, provided that extreme cruelty or conviotion of an infamous crime would warrant a decree of divorce in favor of the innocent party, and leave to re-marry two years after.
Early Civil Actions.—
Under date of September 10, 1821, a memorandum in book A, record of deeds, points out the easy method in which the pioneers dealt with the slanderer. The entry is as follows:
Personally appeared before me, a justice of the peace for the county of Cole, David Anderson, and acknowledged that he, the said David Anderson, did willingly and without cause report and tell a lye on the wife ef Timothy Heral, the daughter of Wm. Wade, which also has been proven on oath before me and others.
John Hensley, J. P.
Test. Samuel Byrneside, Henry Tucker, Jason Harrison, Clerk.
The first action for breach of promise to marry in Cole County was instituted in 1843 by Elizabeth Thompson, a deaf and dumb girl, against H. H. Porch. A verdict for $3,000 was granted in her favor.
In 1815-16 slaves were introduced here by the pioneers, one who came then being now a resident of James-town, and a centenarian. Tho first ofiicial mention of slavery in this county, witnessed by D. Oarr and C. Barnett, is as follows:
Know all men by these presents: That I, Abraham Collet, of the county of Cole and State of Missouri, in consideration of the integrity and faithful conduct of my negro man Joseph, of the age of thirty years, do hereby emancipate and set free the said Joseph, discharging him from all claim whatever.
In witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal this twenty-seventh day of March, eighteen hundred and twenty-one. [seal.] Abraham Collet.
In 1824 the county court began the system of appointing patrols. David Slater and Daniel Cole were among the patrols of Jefferson Township appointed in May, 1824. In May, 1832, John C. Gordon, Reuben Garnett, Eeuben Overton and Granville P. Thomas were appointed patrols for Jefferson City, and in August, 1834, Conner Jenkins, Nelson G. McEenzie, James Hoilingsworth and Daniel McKenzie were appointed patrols for Marion Township.
In November, 1851, John M. Wells, captain; James McKee, David M. Hildebrand, R. H. Phillips, James Chambers and George T. Parrish were patrols of Marion Township, and James Reamy, captain; J. A. Martin, William Simmons, William A. Lacy, Green Clay and Coleman Bruce, of Moniteau Township. Charles B. Meredith was appointed for Jefferson in February, 1858, and instructed to patrol the township for thirty-three and one-third hours each month. Toward the close of his term the patrol days were so near an end their appointment ceased to be an object of the court. It is related that volunteers for this systern of negro watching were very numerous, and seldom had the commissioned officer to be on duty alone, for youth and some-times age came to his aid, regarding the duty as an amusement.
Few old settlers fail to remember the arrest of Alanson "Work, James E. Burr and George Thompson, in 1835, for liberating Missouri slaves. They were taken to Palmyra (Mo.) jail, and after three months of terrible suffering there were tried and sentenced, each, to a twelve years' term in the State prison. At Jefferson City the men were subjected to the basest treatment; but Governor Edwards pardoned Work after forty-three months' imprisonment, Burr after fifty-four months, and Thompson after sixty months. The prisoners were preparing for the ministry at the mission institute near Quincy, Ill., and plied their illegal trade from that point until captured. Work died July 6, 1879, fourteen years after his Northern friends avenged the so-called persecution of the intolerant Abolitionists.
The act of January 26, 1833, proposed to prevent mischief and dishonesty among slaves and Negroes. Store and hotel keepers were prohibited from allowing them to gather in stores and hotels; and the penalty imposed upon slaves, or other colored persons, for making a noise or disturbing religious worship was twenty lashes or stripes.
In November, 1841, an application by Samuel L, Smith, guardian of Amanda Smith, to sell the girl's slaves was granted, it being shown that they could not be hired for more than their sustenance, and that Amanda had not sufficient of other property for her support and education. The slaves were the negro woman Clara, and her two children, Phil and Cressy.
In 1843 three women made an attempt to have their husbands pardoned; but as they were in the penitentiary for stealing slaves the attempt proved a failure. The Jeffersonian refers to this matter as follows: " Sympathy for the distressed condition of the females thus situated may be classed among the cardinal virtues; but executive clemency for a grade of crime so high cannot reasonably be expected."
The census of 1840 credited Cole County with 205 male slaves under 10; 208 over 10 and under 14; 95, 24 and under 36; 73, 36 and under 55, and 9, 55 and under 100 years of age; 211 female slaves under 10 years; 203, between 10 and 24; 108, between 24 and 36; 55, between 36 and 55, and 12, between 55 and 100, or 590 male and 589 female slaves.
The slave owners in Jefferson City and Cole County in 1861 reached a number of about 167. The total number of slaves was 779, and the assessed value $216,475, or an average value of §277.88. In July, 1863, the heirs of R. A. Ewing, in their suit against M. M. Parsons, won a judgment, and among the personal property levied upon were Parsons1 slaves—Juda, Olla and her child, Fannie, Eliza and John.
Source: History of Cole, Moniteau, Morgan, Benton, Miller, Maries, and Osage Counties, Missouri. Chicago, IL, USA: Goodspeed Publishing, 1889
Copyright © Genealogy Trails 2010
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.