Cooper County, Missouri

Biographies
~ W ~


Charles J. Walden, editor and publisher of the "Weekly Advertiser", Boonville, Mo., is a native Missourian, and one of the "old timers" in newspaperdom in this section. He was bom in Carroll County, Oct. 27, 1844, and is a son of James M. Walden, a native of Indiana. His father went overland to California, and died there in 1851. His mother brought her family to Howard County in 1852, and in 1855 Charles was apprenticed to learn the printer's trade. He worked in the office of the "Howard County Banner" for four years and then studied for one year at Central College, Fayette.
In 1861 he enlisted for service in the Confederate Army under Gen. J. B. Clark and for six months served with the Richmond Grays. His last service was in the Trans-Mississippi department under command of Gen. Joseph O. Shelby. April 13, 18G5, he stacked arms with many of his comrades at Shreveport, La. Upon his return home he found things in such an unsettled state that he went to Illinois. After remaining there for about one year he returned to Missouri and settled at Glasgow in 1867.
In 1872, Mr. Walden purchased the "Weekly Advertiser" at Fayette. In 1895 he was editor of the Nevada, Mo., "Daily Mail" for one year. In 1896 Mr. Walden took charge of the "Sedalia Daily Sentinel" and published this paper for three years; was appointed beer inspector by Governor Stephens in 1898 and served two years. In 1890 he went to Brunswick and was engaged in newspaper work in that city until the construction work began on the St. Louis World's Fair buildings. He then received the appointment as chief of the Labor Bureau in connection with the Exposition and remained in that capacity until the close of the Louisiana Exposition. In April, 1905, he purchased the "Weekly Advertiser" at Boonville, and took charge of the newspaper in May of that same year. The "Advertiser" is a newsy, well edited and well printed newspaper which has a large circulation in Cooper County.
Mr. Walden is the father of seven children as follow: Wilbur L., a linotype operator, employed on the "Globe Democrat", St. Louis, Mo. ; Jemmie M., wife of J. G. Jones, general manager of the Hamilton Commercial College, New York City ; Jessie B., wife of William M. Patterson, a bank cashier, Monroe City, Mo. ; Fred H., an advertising man employed on the "Globe Democrat" staff; Homer, located in Jersey City, N. J.; Charles, buyer for a feed commission house of St. Louis, Mo. ; whose headquarters are at Farming-ton, Mo. ; Spahr, a druggist, St. Louis, Mo.
Mr. Walden is a democrat in politics and the policy of the "Advertiser" is democratic. His family are worshipers at the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. He is a Mason and a member of the Knight Templars.
Mr. Walden served as postmaster of Fayette, Mo., for four years and six months under the administration of Grover Cleveland.
History Of Cooper County Missouri by W.F. Johnson 1919

WILLIAMS, MARCUS G., President of the Athens Female College, was born at Boonville, Mo., October 25, 1831, and is a son of the Rev. Justinian Williams, of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, late of the Tennessee Conference. The Rev. Mr. Williams was placed in charge of Huntsville Station, in 1837, and spent most of the remainder of his life in Alabama, preaching, and died in 1859, at the age of seventy-two years.
Professor Williams was educated at La Grange College, Alabama; studied medicine awhile, but feeling that it was his duty to preach, turned his attention to theology, and was licensed to preach in the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, in March, 1854. During the following fall, he entered the Tennessee Conference, on trial, and remained there until the outbreak of the war, when he was made Chaplain of the Third Tennessee Infantry. At the end of the first year, his commission as Chaplain having expired, he raised a company of cavalry for the Ninth Alabama, and, as Captain, commanded it about a year and a half. He left the service on account of an injury received at Murfreesboro, and returned to Lawrence County and taught school for a short time. In 1867 he was transferred to the Arkansas Conference, Methodist Episcopal Church, South, going thence, at the end of two years, to the Southwest Missouri Conference. He remained in Missouri eleven years, devoting his time to the ministry, and to the advancement of education. He resigned his Professorship in the Central Female College, Lexington, Mo., to come to the North Alabama Conference, Methodist Episcopal Church, South (1880). Since coming here he has had charge of New Market Circuit and New Market High School, Madison County; Tuscumbia Station and Tuscumbia Male Academy, and Leighton Circuit, and came to his present position by election, January, 1884. He preaches at Elkmont and State Line gratuitously, and fills the pulpit at Athens in the absence of the regular pastor.
Professor Williams was married in Lauderdale County, Ala., October 23, 1856, to a Miss Coffey, and has reared two daughters, one of whom is adopted, but is as near to him and as dear to him, seemingly, as his own child. Both his daughters are teachers in the college over which he presides.
[Source: Northern Alabama - Historical and Biographical by Smith & De Land, Birmingham, Ala 1888 - Transcribed by Veneta McKinney]



Return to

Cooper County

Missouri

Genealogy Trails