Missouri State Genealogy Trails ] Genealogy Trails ] Volunteer Information ]

Crawford County, Missouri

Volunteers Dedicated to Free Genealogy!

If you have a short Story from or about Crawford County, Missouri, you can submit it for these pages by sending it to the Crawford County host.

William J. Daniela is a son of Thomas and Nancy Daniels, the former a native of Indiana, and the latter born near Knoxville, Tenn. Mrs. Daniels maiden name was Stenson, and she first married a Mr. Ellis, by whom she had six children; having moved to Ohio, where her husband died, she afterward married Mr. Daniels, and with him, in 1847, came to Missouri, locating at the Meramec Iron Works, where both died, he in 1849, and she in 1852. Mr. Daniels was connected with iron works the most of his life, was a Democrat in politics, and with his wife belonged to the Methodist Episcopal Church. William J., the eldest in the family of three children, was born in Ross County, Ohio, in 1834. Beginning work at the Meramec furnace as a common laborer, he rose to the position of chief furnace man, which position he held from 1862 until 1866. Five years were spent in New York and a short time in Tennessee, in similar positions. In 1860 he married Mary Harris, a native of New York, who was born in 1842. Their only child, Ellen E., died in childhood, and they have reared a brother's child from infancy, named Ellen D. Mr. Daniels moved to his present farm in 1882, and owns 200 acre &, having been very successful in a financial way.  Mr. and Mrs. Daniels are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He votes the Republican ticket.


William H. Davis, of the firm of Davis & Hamil, of Steelville, is a son of Ewin and Mary (Ficklin) Davis, natives, respectively, of Virginia and Kentucky. Ewin Davis was born in 1798, and in early life came to Washington County, Mo., where he married and resided until about 1830, when be moved to Crawford County, and located about one mile east of Steelville. A farmer by occupation, he served for many years as circuit court clerk of Crawford County, which county he represented in tile State Legislature in 1840. He was the first school commissioner of the county, and in politics, though formerly an old line Whig, was later a staunch Republican. He died in 1880. . Mrs. Mary Davis was born in 1801, and died in 1864. Both were strict members of the Presbyterian Church. William H. was the sixth in the family of nine children, and was born near Steelville, May 30, 1836. Previous to the war he taught school about six years, and then, having served in the State Militia until 1864, he organized Company G. Forty-eighth Missouri Infantry, of which he was made first lieutenant, and, after three months' service in that capacity was promoted to the captaincy. Returning home, he taught school more or less until 1877, when be engaged in merchandising in Steelville, which business be has since continued uninterruptedly. In 1874 he married Hattie J. Melvin, a native of Franklin County, Mo. They have one child, Eda. Mrs. Davis is a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. Mr. Davis is a Republican in politics, and is one of the oldest established business men in Steelville, having been a resident of the place for fifty-one years.


George D. Day, a farmer and merchant of Cherryville, is a son of George and Rozena (Denton) Day, both born near Lincolnshire, England. They were married and lived in their native country until 1842, when they came to America, settling in Washington County, Mo., where the father died at the age of seventy years, and the mother at the age of sixty-two years. In his native country George Day was a hostler and brewer, but after coming to this country be engaged in farming, saw-milling and hotel-keeping. During the late war he was a strong Union man, and is a Democrat, politically. George D. Day was the second in a family of five children, and was born in Washington County in 1844. During the late war he served a short time in the militia, but was discharged on account of sickness. In 1866 he married Eunia Halbert, who died in 1876, leaving three children-Garret, Eliza and Rosa. In 1878 Mr. Day married Mary A. Self, by whom he has two children, Madge and Mabel, twins. After his second marriage Mr. Day moved to Steelville, where he kept the Steelville Hotel about six years, and in 1884 he moved to his present residence in Cherryville, where he has since been engaged in the mercantile business. He also owns 120 acres of land. In 1884 he was commissioned postmaster of Cherryville, in which capacity he is still serving. He served as county judge from 1884 to 1886, and was justice of the peace two years.


John L. Denton, of the firm of Denton &; Hitch, proprietors of a custom and merchant mill of Cuba, Mo., was born in Stark County, Ohio, in 1834, and is the third child and only son in the family of four children born to Jon as and Frances (Leddell) Denton, natives of New York and New Jersey, respectively, who settled in the latter State when our subject was yet in his childhood, in which State he received his education at the common-schools. In 1861 he enlisted in the Seventh New Jersey Regiment, Union army, and served three years. He was wounded in the left arm at the Battle of Gettysburg by a piece of shell, and was then transferred to the invalid corps. He received an honorable discharge in October. 1864, and then returned home, where he followed agricultural pursuits. In 1868 he married Maria J., daughter of Peter and Margaret Melick. They have only one child, a daughter, Bertha May, now eleven years of age. In 1869 Mr. Denton immigrated to Missouri and settled in Crawford County, on a farm of 120 acres, which be improved and worked for some years. In 1875 be bought a livery stable in Cuba, in which business he successfully engaged, and also dealt in agricultural implements until 1886, when he sold out his livery and bought his present mill property. Mr. Denton is a member of the A. O. U. W. and G. A. R., and his political principles are those of the Republican Party. Mr. and Mrs. Denton are worthy members of the Presbyterian Church in which he is ruling elder; in the spring of 1887 he was commissioner from the St. Louis presbytery to the General Assembly at Omaha.


William C. Devol is a son of Hiram and Matilda. (Anderson) Devol, natives, respectively, of Morgan County, Ohio, and Missouri. Hiram Devol was a fanning- mill manufacturer by trade and came to Crawford County, Mo., in 1835; he also carried on farming and died in 1849. Mrs. Matilda Devol afterward married David E. Dunlap, and is still living at the age of sixty-six years. Both parents were members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. William C. was born four miles south of Steelville, December 12, 1846, was reared on a farm and received a common-school education. Having farmed and clerked until 1872 he engaged in the mercantile business, in which he continued twelve years. He has been a very active business man, having now been in business in Steelville for the past fifteen years, and is accounted one of its most successful financiers. He is a director in the Bank of Steelville, and in the Cuba & Steelville Telephone Company, being president of the Riverside Roller Milling Company. He is also interested in the Lead Mountain Mining Company. In early life he was deputy sheriff and deputy collector some five years. In 1876 Mr. Devol married Mary B. Ellis, a native of Mount Vernon, Ohio. They have three children, Alpha P., William A. and Daphna. Mr. and Mrs. Devol are members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. Politically, he is a Democrat.



David E. Dunlap, ex-county judge of Crawford County, is a son of Dr. Robert and Narcissa. (Watson) Dunlap, natives, respectively, of South Carolina and Georgia. The parents were married in Christian County, Ky. Mrs. Dunlap died when David E. was but ten years of age, and Mr. Dunlap afterward married Sarah Lacy. In 1841 they left Kentucky and after a residence of one year In St. Francois County, Mo., they came to Crawford County in 1842, where the father followed his profession until his death in 1851. The parents were members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. David E., the eldest of four sons, was born in Christian County, Ky., in 1827. Reared a farmer, he received but a limited education. He engaged in mining and farming, and in 1852 married Mrs. Matilda, widow of Hiram Devol. Having no children of their own they have reared wholly or in part a large family of orphans. Mrs. Dunlap is a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. Since 1852 they have lived on the farm where they now reside, which consists of some 600 acres. Politically a Democrat, he filled the office of assessor by appointment for two terms, and for eight years he served as county judge. He is also a Master Mason.



John A. Dunlap, a farmer and resident of Crawford County for the past thirty-five years, is a son of Andrew and Martha (Long) Dunlap, both natives of Cape Girardeau County, Mo., where they were married; they were among the early settlers of Crawford County, where they spent the greater part of their lives, and both were of the Cumberland Presbyterian faith. Mrs. Dunlap died in 1853, leaving seven children, and Mr. Dunlap afterward married Mrs. Elizabeth Benton, who became the mother of three daughters; he died April 9, 1876. John A. was born in Crawford County in 1854, and his advantages for an education were of the very poorest. He remained with his father until twenty-one years of a{{e, when he worked as a farm hand until he was able to purchase a farm of his own, which occupation he has always followed; be now owns about 160 acres of land, and is an enterprising tiller of the soil. In 1881 he married Mary A., daughter of Irenus and Lucinda J. Whittenburg. She was born in this county in ·1864, and died April 5, 1884, leaving one son, Carl I., born November 16, 1883. In 1885 Mr. Dunlap married Maud Whittenburg, a sister of his first wife, also born in Crawford County, in 1868. Mr. and Mrs. Dunlap have one child, Ester 0., born December 31, 1885. The parents are members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. Politically, Mr. Dunlap is a Democrat.


Hon. James M. Eaton, one of the judges of the present county court, came originally from Macoupin County, Ill., where he was born in 1885, the second of four children of Ebenezer and Elizabeth (Simpson) Eaton, natives, respectively, of Tennessee and Kentucky. James M. was reared to an agricultural experience, attending in his younger days the common schools, and to the instruction there received he has added, in more recent years, the result of a studious die position and close application. Upon reaching his majority be commenced in life for himself, and in 1861 was married to Miss Margaret M., daughter of Dr. Jeremiah and Sarah (Phillips) Butler, of South Carolina and Georgia nativity, respectively. In 1862, leaving his young wife, Mr. Eaton enlisted in the Tenth Missouri Infantry, Company H (Southern army), as private, and served until the surrender in a most acceptable manner, the close of the war finding him first lieutenant. During this period his wife had remained with her parents, and he now returned to find that home a scene of desolation. The father, husband and protector of his wife and her mother, bad died, and Dr. John D. Butler, the step-father, owing to his Southern sympathies, was brutally shot down before his own door without any just cause, and the women of the neighborhood were obliged to perform the last sad rites of burying him. Mr. Eaton now commenced in earnest to obtain a competence for himself and wife. He began work at the carpenter's trade, but bas devoted himself principally to farming with good success, and now owns a farm of 118 acres. Some time ago he was solicited to become and was elected a judge of the county court, n position he has filled acceptably for two terms; politically, be is a Democrat. Judge and Mrs. Eaton have three children living: James E., Sarah E. and Josie A.; three are deceased. He belongs to the A. F. & A. M. and A. O. U. W., and himself and wife are members of the Baptist Church. Mrs. Eaton's mother, Mrs. Butler, has found a pleasant home in the family of her daughter since her husband's death; she is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South.


John M. Eaton, farmer, is a son of Abraham and Mary (Reaves) Eaton, natives of North Carolina, who were married in Washington County, Mo., whence, in 1843, they moved to Crawford County, which was their permanent home. In early life Abraham Eaton was engaged in teaming, hauling mineral and lumber, but after coming to Crawford County he engaged in farming; he was a soldier of the War or 1812, and his widow, who is still living at the age of eighty-four years, draws a

pension; both were professing Christians, though members of no church. Abraham Eaton died in 1865, the father of twelve children. John M. was born in Washington County, Mo., in 1837, and was but six years of age when his parents located in Crawford County; he received a good common-school education, and when nineteen years of age rented a farm and engaged in the pursuit of agriculture, which occupation he has always followed. In 1860 he married Mary Garrison, who was born in Ohio, in 1838, and of the twelve children born to their union ten are living, viz.: Jesse N., William O ., Louella E., Mary A., Charles E., Hettie V., Lula V., Samuel W., Selden N. and Claudie J. Mrs. Eaton is a member of the Baptist Church. In 1862 Mr. Eaton enlisted in Company C. Davis' Regiment Enrolled Missouri Militia, and in the fall of 1863 was enrolled in Company A, Phelps' Regiment, serving nine months and taking part in the battle of Pea Ridge; in the militia he held the rank of corporal. Mr. Eaton settled on his present farm in 1872, which consists of 430 acres. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity.


Hon. Ellis G. Evans, well known to the citizens of Missouri, and especially of the southeastern portion of the-State, is deserving of honorable mention in the present volume, as the following necessarily brief sketch of his life will indicate. Born in St. Francois County, Mo., July 10, 1824, he was the third of eight children of William and Mahala (George) Evans, natives, respectively, of Tennessee and Virginia. The former came to Missouri in 1802 with his maternal grandmother, Mrs. Sarah (Barton) Murphy, who, it may be mentioned, taught the first Sunday-school west of the Mississippi River; she was a woman of rare natural instincts and force of character, and after the sudden death of her husband, Rev. William Murphy, a Baptist minister, brought her family, .slaves, possessions, etc., to this then Territory of Louisiana., and settled on land which Mr. Murphy had previously purchased from the Spanish Government. Her arrival was on June 12, 1802, at which time Roman Catholicism was the only religion tolerated, but in 1803 free privileges were secured, and she offered the first public prayer in this vicinity. She was the aunt of David Barton, Missouri's first United States Senator, and was president of the first constitutional convention of Missouri. The grandfather of Ellis G. Evans, Thomas George, was a zealous worker of the Methodist faith, and an enthusiastic Christian, often shouting. His two children were Rhoda and Mahala, the latter of whom married William Evans July 27, 1818. He (William) was an agriculturist, and farmed until engaging in the milling business with his father-in-law. It was on the site of this mill, known now as Big River Mills, that Ellis was born, receiving his primary school instruction from his father, a man of high moral standing, and who occasionally taught school for that community. When eighteen years of age he commenced to learn the carpenter's trade, first at Farmington and afterward at St. Louis, in which city he cast his First vote. He has since worked at his trade in various places in the State. In 1851 he opened a general store at Steelville, which, after being conducted under different firm names, was discontinued in 1857. Subsequently he followed his trade until the outbreak of the war, In the meantime having erected several buildings of importance at St. James, where, on the occasion of the arrival of the first train, he was chosen to present a flag to its conductor. While at Steelville he assisted in building up the Steelville Academy (belonging to the Cumberland Presbyterian Church), and was made trustee and secretary of the board. August 20, 1850, Mr. Evans was married to Miss Emily M. Treece, daughter of Jacob Treece and Martha, nee Bail, natives, respectively, of Pennsylvania and Ohio, Four children blessed this union: Eugene A.., married Miss Lellie K. Simpson, and now resides at Springfield, Mo.; Horace Dell, of St. Louis, recently married Miss Annie Towl, of Annapolis, Mo., and is now postal clerk on the fast train from St. Louis to Kansas City; Inez and Lettie, the two daughters, reside at home with their father, who located in Cuba in 1862, soon after which he was appointed pos master of that place. He was also made commercial agent, and later deputy United States assessor for this division, and when a draft was ordered he was appointed on the enrolling board, and also deputy provost marshal. In 1864 he was elected a delegate to the State Constitutional Convention, represented the Twenty-second Senatorial District, and aided very materially in framing a constitution (elsewhere referred to) which was adopted by a vote of the people at the succeeding election. Subsequently he was appointed aide-camp on the staff of Gov. Fletcher, was paymaster of the militia with the rank of major, and in 1866 he was nominated by the Republicans and elected State Senator, representing the same district (Twenty-second) for four years. During his term of service he was mainly instrumental in defeating the project of locating the agricultural college at Columbia, until the projectors agreed that a branch called School of Mines might be located in his district. While the Senate was not in session Mr. Evans was editor-in-chief of the State Times, published at Jefferson City. Soon after leaving there (owing to the owner of the paper having bolted the Republican nominations) he was appointed register of the United States land office, at Boonville, serving nearly four years. In 1874 he lost the use of a lower limb by paralysis, supposed to have been caused by injury of the spine from a fall, and early in the following year the other leg began to weaken, the result of which was that, despite medical treatment, he has been a confirmed cripple since July, 1875, and is obliged to use a wheelchair as a means of 1ocomotion. Although the crash of 1873-74 ruined him financially he is never idle, and for several years he has been United States commissioner, notary public, land agent, etc., acting in these different capacities with a care and judiciousness reflecting no little credit on his business ability. Since his affliction numerous acquaintances have shown their sympathies in various ways; his sons have nobly assisted him, but his greatest protector was a devoted wife, who was given the post-office at Cuba, and served the people with great acceptability, giving universal satisfaction, until, in a change of administration, a voter claimed the office as a supporter of Cleveland, and she was removed, notwithstanding the protests of the most prominent Democrats in the community. On Monday, December 27, 1886, while attending to her household duties, Mrs. Evans was the victim of a most distressing accident, which resulted fatally. Her clothing catching fire in an unusual manner, she was soon enveloped in flames, and died the same night after intense suffering. She was a lady of kind heart and excellent judgment, and loved by every acquaintance, and the many expressions of sympathy upon her untimely death warmly attested the strong friendships held by her in life. As indicated, Mr. Evans has always been a staunch Republican. He became a newspaper correspondent before he was of age, and has had considerable experience in the journalistic field besides the enterprises referred to. In 1876 he was editor of the Rolla Eagle, and also wrote for the Carthage Banner, when it started as a daily. He has ever advocated advance measures in all things, supporting the measures of female suffrage and negro suffrage. He is a strong Prohibitionist, never used liquor or tobacco himself, and in religion is a Methodist, to which church he has belonged for forty-five years, and is now (March, 1888) a layman delegate to the annual conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church, which is being held at Sedalia.


William C. Evans, circuit court clerk and ex officio recorder of deeds, was born in Si. Francois County, Mo., March 1, 1835. His parents were William and Mahala A. (George) Evans, both natives of Claiborne County, Tenn., and born respectively, in 1793 and 1803. They were married in St. Francois County, Mo., where they spent the remainder of their lives in the pursuit of agriculture; both were members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. William Evans died En 1851, his wife died in 1872. Of their eight children William C. was the youngest but one; he obtained his education in the subscription schools and the Carleton Institute. Having farmed until 1861 he answered the first call for help for the war, and while engaged in guarding bridges became disabled and was discharged. Recoveri0ig he went to Rolla, Mo., and was commissioned enrolling officer, in which capacity he served until the close of the war. He then returned to the farm in St. Francois County, and in 1868 moved to Crawford County, being appointed railroad agent at Cuba. In 1867 he married Anna S. Otis, a native of Orange County, Vt., and of the same family as James Otis, the orator of revolutionary times. Mrs. Evans died in 1869, and in 1871 Mr. Evans married Miss Lucinda Stilwell, of Charlotteville, N. Y. This union has been blessed with six children. In 1874 Mr. Evans was elected circuit court clerk on the Republican ticket, and has since been his own successor. He is a staunch advocate of temperance and during the war was a strong Union man.



John F. Evans is a. son of Thomas and Caroline (Givens) Evans, natives of near Knoxville, Tenn., who were reared and married in Arkansas, where they lived until 1863; they then moved to Crawford County, Mo., and engaged in farming until their deaths, which occurred in the same year, 1874, he being forty-two and she thirty-eight years of age. Both parents were members of the Christian Church, and reared a family of four children of whom John F. was the eldest. The latter was born in Izard County, Ark., September 28, 1859, was reared on a farm, and received his education in the common schools and the Steelville Academy. He then engaged in teaching a short time, when he was appointed deputy circuit court clerk, and served in that capacity about two years. In 1882 he was employed as a clerk in the store of the Midland Blast Furnace Company, of which store he was: made manager in 1885, and has since filled the position to the satisfaction of his employers and the credit of himself. Mr. Evans is a member of the A. O. U. W.



Thomas Everson, foreman of the shops of the 'Frisco branch of the Salem & Little Rock Railroad, was born at Carlisle, Penn., in 1833, and is a son of George R. and  Sarah A. Everson, natives of Pennsylvania, and of English and German descent, respectively. After their marriage the parents settled in Carlisle, where the father engaged in carpentering; they are now residents of Altoona, Penn., and members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. In the family of nine children, five sons and four daughters, Thomas is the eldest. One son, Charles, is a machinist, and George R. was killed at the battle of South Mountain during the late war. Thomas Everson received a very limited education, and when young began working at the carpenter's trade, at which he continued until seventeen years of age, when he learned the trade of a machinist in the shops at Cincinnati, Ohio; he then returned to Altoona, Penn., and for the following eight years worked in the shops of the Pennsylvania Central Railroad. He then went to Pittsburgh, Penn., and in 1875 was-called to his present position. In 1855 he married Emma Jacobs, a native of Pennsylvania, and of their ten children only four are living. Mr. Everson is a Republican in politics, a Mason and a member of the A. O. U. W., and Select Knights, also belonged to the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers.


Henry P. Farrow, sheriff of Crawford County, is a son of John P. and Susan M. (Smith) Farrow, natives of Farquier County, Va. The parents immigrated to Missouri in 1838, and settled in St. Charles County; they also lived in Lincoln and Montgomery Counties, and in 1867 located in Crawford County. John P. Farrow was a farmer and merchant, and served as county judge of Montgomery County twenty years, tilling the same office in Crawford County six years; be died in 1880, at the age of seventy-four years; his wife is still living, at the age of seventy-four. Henry P. Farrow was born in Montgomery County January 10, 1850, and was reared on a farm, receiving his education in the district schools. He came to Crawford County with his parents and was engaged in farming until 1886, when he was elected sheriff. In 1870 he married Sarah A., daughter of the late Thomas Mattox of St. Louis. Mrs. Farrow was born in St. Louis in 1850. Of the nine children born to this union four are living. Mr. Farrow is a Democrat in politics; and for six years was postmaster at Jake's Prairie. His wife and mother are members of the Missionary Baptist Church.



Albert U. Farrow, attorney-at-law and postmaster of Cuba, was born in Montgomery County; Mo., August 27, 1853, and is the youngest of the seven children born to John P. and Susan M. (Smith) Farrow, natives of Virginia. John P. Farrow was a merchant, and figured prominently as a county official, both in Montgomery and Crawford Counties. Albert U. Farrow was educated at Steelville, Mo., receiving a good academical education, and in 1872 began doing for himself in the capacity of a school teacher, which occupation he followed until 1879, having two years previous been admitted to the Crawford County bar. He prosecuted his law studies under the preceptorship of Judge R. W. Jones, of Montgomery County, and E. A. Pinnell of Crawford County. In 1880 he married Mollie, daughter of Judge S. W. Smith, of Gasconade County, and to this union has been born three children, all deceased. In 1886 Mr. Farrow was appointed postmaster at Cuba, which office he still bolds. He is a staunch Democrat in politics and a member of the Masonic fraternity. From 1879 to 1882 he edited the Maries County (Mo.) Courier, a Democratic organ, which he sold in 1882 to C. A. Bennet, his partner, who was a member of the State Legislature from Maries County.


William H. Ferguson, well known as a farmer of Crawford County, was born in Allen County, Ky., in 1827, and is the eldest in the family of ten children, three now living, of Obadiah and Lucinda (Collins) Ferguson. Obadiah Ferguson was born in Albemarle County, Va., in 1800, and when ten years of age was taken to Allen County, Ky., in which county Mrs. Ferguson was born in 1806. About1830 they moved to Washington County, Mo., and in 1837 located in Crawford County. When a young man Obadiah Ferguson learned the trade of a bricklayer, at which he worked more or less all his life. He manufactured the first brick in Crawford County, and built the first brick courthouse. Roth parents were members of the Baptist Church, and the father died in 1868, his widow surviving him until 1871. William H. was educated in the old subscription schools of the county, and after reaching manhood attended the Steelville Academy. In early life he learned his father's trade, and helped him build the Willard Frizzell building, near Frumet, and Eli Wiley's residence, both in Jefferson County, and the Bolduc building, in Old Mirres, Washington County, Mo. His father, Obadiah Ferguson, assisted in building the first Catholic Church and parsonage in Old Mines, also the first Catholic and Presbyterian Churches in Potosi, Washington Co., Mo. Mr. Ferguson has been principally engaged in farming and has served in many official positions of his county. He was county surveyor twelve or fourteen years, sheriff and collector for eight years, assessor one year, and notary public a number of years, which latter position he still fills. He also does an extensive probate business, having charge of more estates than any other man in the county. In 1860 Mr. Ferguson married Martha O. Johnson, of Washington County, Mo., who died in 1871, and two years later be married Mrs. Amanda A. Millsaps, a native of Crawford County. The last union has been blessed with four children, three now living. Mrs. Ferguson is a member of the Methodist Church. Mr. Ferguson is a Democrat, politically, and a member of the I. O. O. F.


Patrick Fitzgerald is of Irish birth and ancestry, having been born in the Emerald Isle in 1824, the second of nine children of John ·and Mary (O'Connor) Fitzgerald, "themselves natives of that country. In 1849 Patrick, then about twenty-five years of age, immigrated !O the United States, and in 1860 came to Missouri, following railroading a number of years, but in 1863 he purchased a tract of land of fifty-six acres (a part of his present homestead). and has since increased it to 177 acres. This is well improved and is adorned with a comfortable dwelling and other necessary buildings, all the result of his enterprise and industry. In 1857 Mr. Fitzgerald was married to Miss Nancy Murry, daughter of Cornelius and Mary (Cain) Murry, and by this union there have been nine children, five of whom are living: John, William, Patrick, Cornelius and Thomas. In politics he is a Democrat. Himself and wife are members of the Catholic Church.


John Fleming, an acknowledged representative citizen of Crawford County, was born in 1820, in Ireland, the eldest of four sons and four daughters of James and Rachel (Strain)Fleming. The former was a weaver and farmer of County Monaghan, Ireland, in which locality young John was reared and educated, receiving a common schooling. At the age of twenty he began learning the trade of stonecutter and brick mason, at which he soon became an adept. In 1845, filled with a spirit of determination and courage that knew no failure, he immigrated to America, and began work at Quebec, going thence in about eight months to Kingston; following this be worked at various places, including the bridge at Niagara. During this time he was in the Government employ-part of the time for the British Government, or until 1848, when he was employed by the United States Government at Fort Phillip and Fort Jackson. In 1852 he came to Crawford County, Mo., and worked at the Moselle furnace two years, and the Meramec Iron Works for some time. By good management and keen judgment he made fortunate investments in land, and added to his original purchase of 200 acres of land from time to time, until he now owns about 1,200 acres, half of which is in one tract. In 1853 Mr. Fleming was married to Eliza J., daughter of Archibald and Matilda (Montgomery) Jones, and from this union eleven children have been born, two of whom (sons) are dead, Jane, James, Rachel, John S., Matilda, David, Elizabeth, Margaret E. and William. G. still survive. During the late war Mr. Fleming was a member of the Home Militia, but not in active service. Since his marriage he has followed agricultural pursuit and stock-raising, the latter receiving a considerable share of his attention, His home life and surroundings are all that could be desired. Politically, he is a Democrat, but by no means a political aspirant. He and his wife are worthy members or the old school Presbyterian Church, in which he is a ruling elder, and it is a fact worthy of mention that he built the church house at Cuba with his own means, afterward selling it to the church for less than one-third of its cost. He also took prominent part in the organization of the schools of the county, and erected at his own expense and presented to the people the first school building in Cuba; in other ways he has borne his share of public improvement. Mr. Fleming is a member of Lebanon Lodge, No. 77, A. F. & A. M., at Steelville.


George W. Forbes is a Virginian by birth, born in Nelson County, of the Old Dominion, in 1880. William A. and Mary (Fitzgerald) Forbes, his parents, had a family of thirteen children, of whom George W. was the eleventh, and he grew up to an agricultural experience. In addition to the limited education obtained from the common schools of his native State, he has acquired a good general information from observation and self-application in later years. In 1854 Mr. Forbes was married to Miss Martha. A. Kinkade, daughter of John and Elizabeth (Gillaspie) Kinkade, and soon after this event they removed to Franklin County, Mo., living on a rented farm part of the time. During this period Mr. Forbes also devoted some time to the carpenter's trade, and by economy and good management was soon enabled to purchase his present homestead in Crawford County, on which he has since resided. This embraced at first only forty acres of unimproved land, to which he has added from time to time, until he now has a comfortable homestead of 150 acres. Upon locating here he suffered many inconveniences, having to go ten miles to mill and a long distance to church. He took no active part in the war, but during that troublous period he and his wife were instrumental in keeping up a warm religious interest throughout the community, often having services held at his house. They have long been worthy members of the Methodist Church, of which they are still warm supporters. Mr. and Mrs. Forbes have had ten children, eight of whom survive: Mary J., Sarah A., Nancy C., John W., James S., Margaret C., Jossie M. and Jessie P. Mr. Forbes has served continuously as justice of the peace for twenty-six years. He is a Republican, politically, and belongs to the Masonic fraternity and the Triple Alliance of Steelville. He is postmaster of Delhi, which office is kept in his residence; this position he has occupied some three years.

Many Bios excerpts are from ‘History of Franklin, Jefferson, Washington, Crawford, & Gasconade Counties, Missouri’, The Goodspeed Publishing Co. 1888

Last up-dated 09/22/2013

Return to the Bios Page.

Return to the Home Page.