Crawford County, Missouri
Volunteers Dedicated to Free Genealogy!
William A. Gibbs was born in Bedford County, Va., in 1817, and is the eldest child of Mathew and Keziah (Tracy) Gibbs, also natives of Bedford County, Va., and born, respectively, in 1790 and 1788. The parents were married in their native State, where their five children were born, and whence they moved to Kentucky. They afterward moved to Georgia, from there to Chattanooga, Tenn., and in 1839 settled on the American Bottom in Illinois, where the mother died the following year. Mathew Gibbs died in Crawford County, Mo., in 1871. He was a cripple all his life, and was a shoemaker by trade, also carried on farming. William A. acquired his education in six months, and remained with his parents until twenty-four years of age. He then began as a hireling, working for $8 per month. In 1849 he settled on the place where he now lives, and owns 335 acres. The same year he married Mary A. Dobkins, who was born near Boonville, Mo., in 1819. Mr. and Mrs. Gibbs have two children: Hilery I. and Mary L. The family is a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. Politically Mr. Gibb is a Democrat, having cast his first presidential vote for Van Buren. Mr. Gibbs and son are stockholders in the Farmers Joint Stock Company, in which the former has held the position of director, and is now vice president.
Thomas R. Gibson, one of the most prominent business men of Crawford County and cashier of the Bank of Steelville, is a son of Dr. Alexander and Haney C. (Halbert) Gibson, and was born in Crawford County December 30, 1856. He was reared in Steelville, and having spent about two years at the Missouri School of Mines be went to West Point in 1873, remaining at the military school three years. Returning to his home he taught school a few terms, and in the meantime studied law. He was admitted to the Crawford County bar in 1878, and the following six years engaged in the practice of the legal profession. In 1884 be organized the Bank of Steelville, of which he was elected cashier. He has also been secretary of the Riverside Roller Milling Company. He has held many positions of trust and honor in his county, notably that of county clerk. He affiliates with the Democratic Party, belongs to the Masonic fraternity and the A. O. U. W.
Alexander Gibson, M. D., a native of Harper's Ferry, Jefferson Co. Va., was born April 24, 1827. He received his literary education in his native town and at the Charleston Academy, from which he graduated at the age of sixteen. He then began the study of medicine under Dr. William Brewer, and, later, entered the Jefferson Medical College, of Philadelphia, graduating in 1846. Practicing a few years at Point of Rocks, Md., he went to Missouri on a visit. While there he was called upon to administer the estate of his deceased brother in-law, and then decided to practice in Franklin County. In 1850 be married Haney C. Halbert, who was born in South Carolina in 1834. The young couple settled in the northern part of Crawford County, and in 1855 removed to Steelville, where Dr. Gibson has since been engaged in the practice of his profession. Of the nine children born to their union six are now living. Samuel C. is a practicing physician in California, and the youngest son, Alexander, is also preparing to follow the same profession. Dr. Gibson is a Democrat in politics, and is a. member of the Rolla Medical Society. His father was a native of Ireland, who come to America when a young man, and for many years was a merchant in Baltimore. In New York City he married Mary A. Cathcart, also a native of Ireland, and their union was blessed by the births of four children. While in Charleston, S. C., on business, the father died of yellow fever. His widow survived until 1865. Both were Old School Presbyterians.
James A. Green, general manager o:f the Riverside Roller Milling Company, was born in Troy, Lincoln Co., Mo., in 1840, and is the eldest of the six children born to James T. and Jane M. (Martin) Green, natives of Culpeper County. Va. The parents settled in Lincoln County, Mo., about 1839, where they lived for many years. The father, who was a manufacturer of carriages and wagons, died in 1847, and the mother afterward married William Carver, and moved to Pike County, dying in 1866. James A. was reared in Troy, and received a good education, graduating from J ones Seminary in 1859. For about two years be was employed in the Fifth Street railway offices of St. Louis, and in 1860 began merchandising at Wright City. In 1864· be went to Rolla, Mo. and was engaged in merchandising until 1867, when he moved his stock of goods to Cuba, and was engaged in the same business for the following sixteen years. In 1872, in partnership with J. H. Riley, he built twelve miles of grade and the masonry on the St. Louis, Southern & Little Rock Railroad. In 1874 he built a large buhrmill, upon the present site of the Riverside mill, which was burned in 1886, at a loss of about $12,000, and in 1876 he lost his store and stock by fire, valued about $6,000 above insurance. In 1865, Mr. Green married Lizzie Smith, who was born in Steelville in 1849, and is a daughter of C. Smith, one of the oldest merchants of Crawford County. Mr. and Mrs. Green have three children: James C., Lillie G. and Thomas Owen. Mr. Green has been largely interested in mining iron ore with William James for some time. He is a Democrat, and has been mayor of Cuba for many years. He is also a Royal Arch Mason. Mrs. Green is a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church.
James L. Griffith was born at the Meramec Iron Works in 1853. His parents were Thomas J. and Rachel (McCalister) Griffith, natives, respectively, of Ohio and Virginia, and of Welsh and Irish descent. Soon after their marriage the parents located at the Meramec Iron Works in Missouri, where the father labored about twenty-two years in different capacities; he was yardmaster for many years, and for a time acted as storekeeper. He is now residing on a farm in Crawford County, and of his eight children, four are living. James L., the eldest of the living children, was educated in the public schools, with the exception of a few months spent in the Rolla School of Mines. At the age of twenty he began work in the Meramec Iron Works, breaking pig iron, driving a team, etc., at last being promoted to the position of a clerk in their store, where he later acted as book-keeper. In 1883 he became assistant book-keeper for the Midland Blast Furnace Company, and in November of the same year was given full charge of the books, in which capacity he has since been employed. In 1882 He married Lucy Haug, a native of Bunker Hill, Ill. Mr. and Mrs. Griffith have two children: Ada L. and Charles H. Mr. Griffith is a Republican and a member of the I. O. O. F.
Preston Halbert was born in Laurens County, S. C., in 1884. His father, William Halbert, also a native of South Carolina, first married Elizabeth Bowen, who bore him eight children ; after her death Mr. Halbert married Mrs. Rachel (Lindsey) Cooper, by whom he bad four children, Preston being the youngest but one. William Halbert, who was of German descent, was an extensive planter and also operated a gristmill, sawmill and cotton-gin; being unfortunate in his business he moved to Crawford County, Mo., in 1845. and died in 1858. Mrs. Halbert, mother of our subject, died in 1845, a member of the Baptist Church. Having remained with his father until twenty-one years of age, Preston Halbert began his career as a farmer, which occupation he has always followed. In 1862 he married Rebecca Largent, who was born in Bledsoe County, Tenn., in 1843. Of the nine children born to this union six are living, viz.: May, Haney E., Eura. L., William P., Thomas E. and Zelma R. Mr. Halbert has been successful as a farmer, and now owns about 500 acres of land. He has held the position of public administrator eight years, is a Democrat, politically, and a member of the Masonic fraternity. William Halliburton, probate judge, was born in Humphreys (now Benton) County. Tenn., September 15, 1823, and is a son of Samuel and Sarah (Barker) Halliburton, both natives of Wake County, North Carolina, who were married in Tennessee where they spent many years in the pursuit of agriculture. In 1889 the parents moved to Missouri, and two years later located in Crawford County. whence, in 1844, they moved to Arkansas, where the father died after a residence of two years; the mother spent her last days with her son, William, in Dent County, Mo., dying in 1868, in the seventy-second year of her age. The youngest but one in a family of nine children, William Halliburton received but a limited education, and remained with his father until twenty-one years of age. He was subsequently employed on a farm, and while in Dent County, Mo. , in 1846, married Roxana Wilson, a native of Christian County, Ky., and four years later they moved to Steelville, where they kept a hotel. Mrs. Halliburton died in 1850, leaving .two children, and in 1851 Mr. Halliburton married Lucy Anderson, a native of Crawford County, who became the mother of three children. In 1857 be returned to Dent County, and engaged in the grocery business and the following year was elected county clerk of Dent County, which position be held until 1861, when he enlisted in the Seventh Missouri Cavalry, State Guards, being appointed second assistant general division inspector. In the spring of 1862 he was commissioned and sent back to Missouri to raise troops for Gen. Price, and in July, 1863, was assigned the position of first lieutenant of Company C, Free Mason's Battalion. He was relieved at Evening Shade, Ark., where he was captured and taken to St. Louis, Camp Chase, Johnson's Island, Point Lookout, Fort Delaware, Morris Island and Fort Pulaski. After the war he joined his family in Crawford County, Mo., where he has served four years as deputy sheriff and six years as deputy collector. He was elected probate judge in 1886, being a Democrat in politics. Mr. and Mrs. Halliburton are members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church.
James R. Hamlin, a farmer and minister of the gospel of the Baptist Church, in Crawford County, was born in Buncombe County, N. C., in 1828. Of the eight children born to John and Elizabeth (Duckworth) Hamlin, natives, respectively, of Tennessee and North Carolina, James R. was the eldest. John Hamlin was a saddler by trade in early life, but in later years engaged in farming, to which occupation James R. was reared, receiving in the meantime a good common-school education. He began doing for himself in 1849, in which year he was married to Mary A., daughter of Rev. Jonathan and Mary King, of North Carolina. After his marriage, however, Mr. Hamlin graduated in vocal music at the Normal Musical School, at Lima, S. C. In April, 1861, he was enrolled as sergeant of Company F, First South Carolina Cavalry under Gen. Hampton, and was promoted to chaplain of Black's Battalion, serving until the close of the war. He then returned to his family, and in 1869 immigrated and settled in Crawford County, Mo., where he has since principally followed agriculture. In 1870 he entered eighty acres of land, and now owns 240 acres, as well as a house and two lots in Bourbon, Mo. Mr. Hamlin entered the ministry in 1861, and is the present pastor of the First Baptist Church of Sullivan, and also of the First Baptist Church of Cuba, Mo. Of the nine children born to Mr. and Mrs. Hamlin, four died in infancy. Those living are Dalie E., Leonia A., Montreville M., Courtney W. and Oscar T. Mrs. Hamlin is a consistent adherent of the Baptist faith. Mr. Hamlin is a Freemason and a staunch Democrat, though not a political aspirant. The family is highly respected by all who know them.
N. H. Hardesty, M. D., a prominent physician of Cuba, Mo., was born in Zanesville, Ohio, February 2, 1835, and is the youngest of the ten children of Abram and Elizabeth (Marshall) Hardesty. N. H. Hardesty was educated in Philadelphia, and began the study of medicine in 1854, under T. D. Howell, M. D., at Sharon, Ohio; he graduated from the Jefferson Medical College of Philadelphia, in 1856, and then took up the practice or his old preceptor at Sharon, the latter retiring to engage in the banking business. After three years of successful practice at Sharon Dr. Hardesty was so severely attacked by asthma that he was obliged to seek another climate. Prior to his departure he married Elizabeth A., daughter of Charles A. and Alice Jolly, of Dayton, Ohio. The young couple settled in St. Joseph, Buchanan County, Mo., in 1859, where the Doctor enjoyed a large and lucrative practice until the late war broke out, when he enlisted as surgeon in the Union army, being transferred to The General Hospital at New Orleans, where he was stationed about two years, having charge of the institution one year. He was transferred from New Orleans to the hospital at Mobile, Ala., where a sunstroke received July 5, 1865, resulted in his discharge, and he returned to his family. He has three children, viz.: Frank R., a druggist at Cuba, Mo.; Addie, wife of F. M. Jamison, State attorney of Crawford County, Mo.; and Edwin F. After the war Dr. Hardesty resumed his practice and settled in Crawford County, in 1869, on a farm about four miles west of Cuba, to which place he removed in 1874. He has been unusually successful in his chosen profession, and enjoys the esteem and respect of a large circle of patrons. He is a member of the Encampment of the I. O. O. F., and the Medical Society of Rolla District. He is a Republican in politics, and cast his first presidential vote for Fillmore.
L. E. Harris, a native of Washington County, Mo., was born in 1830. In the family of his parents, Thomas and Mary (McMurtrey) Harris, were nine children, but two of whom are living. The parents were natives of Tennessee, and in early life residents of Washington County, Mo., where they married, and whence, in 1831, they moved to a farm in Crawford County, which was their home the remainder of their lives. The mother was a member of the Methodist Church. L. E. Harris was reared and educated in Crawford County and upon reaching manhood began life for himself as a hired hand. In 1855 he married Elizabeth Eaton, who was born in Washington County in 1835. Mr. and Mrs. Harris are the parents of nine children, five of whom are living, viz.: James T. and William P. (twins), Sarah E., Angeline M. and Ezra O. During the war Mr. Harris served in the Enrolled Missouri Militia, and in political faith he is a Democrat. Having farmed and rented land for some years after marriage, he then purchased a small tract, which he has increased to the amount of 1,250 acres, a lust reward of his industry and good management. A resident of Crawford County for fifty-seven years, he is an enterprising farmer and a highly esteemed citizen.
Edgar P. Harris, founder of the Midland Blast Furnace Company, was born in Stowe, Lamoille Co., Vt., May 7, 1845. His father, James Harris, a native of Massachusetts, and of Irish descent, married Charlotte Downer, of Vermont, both having worked in the cotton mills of Massachusetts when young. They afterward moved to New York, and are now residents of Michigan, aged, respectively, eighty-one and seventy-four years. James Harris has been principally engaged in farming, though for a time he was superintendent of an iron mine in New York; politically, he was a Democrat, but since the war he has sympathized with the Republican Party. The parents are Universalists in religious belief, and had six children. When eighteen years of age Edgar P. Harris enlisted in Company I, First New York Veteran Cavalry, Union army, served three years, and participated in the battles of New Market, Piedmont, Leetown Heights, Monocasy, Harper's Ferry, Charleston, two battles at Winchester, Fisher's Hill and Cedar Creek; he served one year as sergeant. Returning home be engaged in farming until 1867, and then went to Michigan, where he worked in a blast furnace. In turn he rose to the positions of watchman, helper in the furnace, keeper, and lastly founder, having entire charge of the furnaces at different places. He accepted his present position in 1877, which he has since continuously filled. In 1876 he married Mary Tyler, a native of New
York. Mr. and Mrs. Harris have three children: Charles H., Bertie E. and Nellie. In politics Mr. Harris is a Republican.
Benjamin F. Hethcock, a merchant and farmer of Crawford County, was born in Franklin County, Mo., in 1853, and of the ten children born to William and Carolina (Springer) Hethcock, he is the youngest. His educational advantages were limited, and when twenty years of age he went to Texas, where he followed the vocation of a cowboy, also various other pursuits. He married Mary, daughter of Jacob Sowder. Mr. and Mrs. Hethcock have five children, viz.: Bertha, James F., Hattie, Edward, and an infant. After his marriage Mr. Hethcock engaged in the pursuit of agriculture for several years, when he opened a general store at Leasburg, Crawford County, in 1882, where he met with fair success. He removed to Knob View in 1883, and the following year established his present business in Oak Hill. He carries a stock amounting to about $2,000, and the average annual sales amount to $7,000. He also owns 120 acres of land which he devotes to farming, and is very successful in the two departments of business. Mr. and Mrs. Hethcock are worthy members of the Presbyterian Church. His political preferences lean toward the Democratic Party, and his first presidential vote was polled for Horace Greeley.
Capt. Edward T. Herndon. president and superintendent of the Meramec Iron Mining Company, was born in Virginia in 1831. and when six years old was brought to Missouri and reared near Jefferson City. His education was limited, and at the age of ten years be began clerking in a store, being afterward employed as a steamboat agent at that city for many years. From that he rose to be clerk on a boat, then was a pilot, and filled the position of captain for about nineteen years. Leaving the river, he purchased a farm which he conducted until the breaking out of the war; and in 1869 he superintended the construction of the Lewis Blast Furnace near St. Louis, which he ran for three and one-half years. He was next engaged in superintending the work in the extensive coalfields in Illinois for a time, and in 1878 assumed the duties of his present position. He planned all the mechanical constructions about the bank, without the assistance of an engineer, and superintends all the details of the work of the company. His first wife was Sarah E. Lewis, and their two children, Edward L. and Jennie L., are graduates of the best educational institutions of the country. After the death of his first wife Mr. Herndon married Rebecca T., daughter of Capt. C. C. Cook. Two children have blessed the last union: Christopher C. and Grace. Mr. Herndon is a member of the Methodist Church, and in politics, a high-tariff Democrat. His father, Dr. James Herndon, was born in Virginia as was also his mother, Ann S. (Estes) Herndon. In the family were nine children. The parents died in Callaway County, Mo., he at the age of eighty-four years, and she aged seventy- nine years.
William R. Hibler was born in Osage County, Mo., August 26, 1844, and is a son of Samuel S. and Pantha A.. (Thorn ton) Hibler, natives, respectively of St. Louis County, Mo., and Pittsylvania County, Va. The parents became settled in Osage County, Mo., when quite young, and there were married and spent the remainder of their lives. Samuel S. Hibler was a carpenter and farmer, and volunteered in the Mexican War, but saw no active service; he died in 1870, at the age of fifty-three years. Mrs. Hibler died in 1853, at the age of twenty-six years. William R., the eldest in the family of three children, was reared a farmer, and attended the common schools until about fifteen years of age, when he began doing for himself. In 1864 be enlisted in the Confederate army, Company E, Tenth Missouri Cavalry, and served until the close of the war. Returning to Osage County be engaged in farming until 1868, and then went to Jasper County, Mo. In 1870 he returned to his native county and was married to Mary Lameth, who died in 1883, leaving three children: Eugene A., Martha D. and Dollie A. In 1884 Mr. Hibler married Missouri J. Britton. Two children have been born to the latter union, Flora L. and Amy P. After his first marriage he returned to Jasper County, and remained until 1872, and then with his wife returned to Osage County, and in 1874 settled on his present farm of 337 acres in Crawford County. In 1884 Mr. Hibler was a delegate to the State convention. In 1886 he was elected presiding justice of the county court, of which office he is the present incumbent. He is a Democrat in politics and a member of the I. O. O. F. He belongs to the Cumberland Presbyterian Church.
Jacob R. Hiller, farmer and proprietor of the Steelville Mill, was born in Illinois in 1862. His father, E. Hiller, a native of Germany, was brought to this country when about eight years of :age, and was chiefly reared in Northern Illinois, where he met and married Miss Mary A. Schreiber, also a native of Germany, who came to this country at the age of six years. Having farmed a while in Illinois, Mr. Hiller moved to Iowa, where he built and ran four mills, and in 1878 removed to Steelville, Mo., where he also built a mill. The parents are now residents of Illinois, where he is still engaged at the trade of a miller. Jacob R. received a good common-school education, and came to Crawford County with his parents in 1878. In 1884 he married Miss Vinie, daughter of Jason and Mary A. (Harrison) Carr, the former of whom, a native of Ohio, was of German descent. Mr. Carr located in Crawford County when young, and here married Miss Harrison, a native of the county, soon after settling on the farm which was their home the remainder of their lives. He was a zealous Mason, but his charities were broader than his fraternity. Mr. Carr died in 1881 at the age or sixty-three years, his wife having preceded him to the grave in 1876, being forty-one years of age. In their family were four children, of whom Mrs. Biller is the only survivor. After their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Hiller located at the mill, which he conducted for some time, and they then moved Lo their present farm, which is the old Carr place, and consists of 370 acres. They were the parents of one child, Jason E., now deceased. Mr. Hiller is a member of the A. O. U. W., and his wife belongs to the Cumberland Presbyterian Church.
James E. Hollow, one of the most enterprising and substantial citizens of Cuba, Crawford County, is a partner in the establishments of Hollow & Salzer, proprietors of a planing mill, and Hollow, Dressler & Co., dealers in stoves, tin and hardware. He is also the only fire insurance agent in Cuba, and represents the following companies: The Home and Continental Insurance Companies, of New York; the Phoenix, of London; the North British and Mercantile, of London and Edinburgh; the Phoenix, of Brooklyn; the Phoenix, of Hartford; the American Central, of St. Louis, and the AEtna, of Hartford. In the family of his parents, Henry and Mary (Blake) Hollow, natives of England, were fourteen children, of whom he was the sixth. He was born in Truro, Cornwall Co., England, in 1839, where he was educated and reared to maturity. He served an apprenticeship at the carpenter's trade, and for a number of years worked in London. In 1865, Mr. Hollow was united in marriage to Georgiana, daughter of James W. Bolton, of Loudon. Of the eight children born to this union, one died in early childhood. Those living are: James E., Jr., Georgian M., Henry O. George O., May A., Elinor B. and Leola B. In 1869 Mr. Hollow resolved to seek his fortune in the New World, and accordingly immigrated to the United States, settling in Missouri; his iron energy and persistent industry were soon rewarded, and a abort time after he was joined by his family, and in 1871 they located in Cuba, where they have ever since resided. During the construction of the St. Louis, Salem & Little Rock Railroad, Mr. Hollow had full charge of the carpenter work, after the completion of which, in 1874, he embarked in the lumber business at Cuba, which he has since successfully carried on in connection with his carpenter and building interest. In 1884 he admitted his present partner, John Salzer, and the firm established the planing mill at Cuba, which establishment has proved a decided success, turning out all kinds of building materials; this firm also have in process of erection another large brick structure, in the shape of a planing mill at Cuba. The interest Mr. Hollow holds in the stove, tin and hardware business has existed since 1886, the establishment having been formerly conducted by C. Dressler; it is the only establishment of the kind in the county, and does a large wholesale and retail trade. Mr. Hollow is a staunch Democrat, and supports the party enthusiastically. He is a member of the A. O. U. W., and, also, the Lodge and Encampment of the I. O. O. F. Mr. and Mrs. Hollow are worthy members of the Episcopal Church, in which faith they have reared their children. The family occupies a large and commodious residence, and is highly esteemed by all who know them.
Many Bios excerpts are from ‘History of Franklin, Jefferson, Washington, Crawford, & Gasconade Counties, Missouri’, The Goodspeed Publishing Co. 1888
Last up-dated 09/22/2013
Return to the Bios Page.
Return to the Home Page.