Missouri State Genealogy Trails ] Genealogy Trails ] Volunteer Information ]

Crawford County, Missouri
Bios
J-
M

Volunteers Dedicated to Free Genealogy!



If you have a short Story from or about Crawford County, Missouri, you can submit it for these pages by sending it to the Crawford County host.
 


Thomas Jamison, deceased, was born in Botetourt County, Va., in 1788, and was the first settler of Cherry Valley, Crawford Co., Mo., which valley he named from a cluster of cherry trees growing there. He was of Irish descent, and upon reaching manhood married Ruth Edgar, and of their four children Robert P. represented Crawford County in the Legislature. After the death of his wife Thomas Jamison came to Missouri, which was then a territory, crossing the Mississippi in a canoe. In early life he was a hatter, but after coming to Missouri he engaged in mining in Washington County, in which county he married Matilda McAdams, a native of Georgia. In 1832 they moved to Crawford County and Settled in Cherry Valley, where they spent the remainder of their days. Both were members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, and they were the parents of seven children. The father died in 1867, and the mother in 1870. Marquis De Lafayette Jamison was born in Washington County in 1831, and from the time he was about twelve years old he was the main support of his parents, the father being afflicted with rheumatism. When about nineteen years old he bought a farm, and in 1853 he married Mrs. Eunice Halbert, nee Kinworthy, who was born in Virginia in 1818. After his marriage he removed to his present home, where he owns 700 acres. He is an enterprising farmer and stock-raiser, and in politics votes the Democratic ticket.

 

Albert W. Johnson, an enterprising business man of Steelville, is the only survivor of the two children born to Benjamin H. and Mary G. (Anderson) Johnson, the former a native of Dent County, Mo., and the latter born in Crawford County. Soon after their marriage the parents located in Dent County, where the father, who was a blacksmith by trade, held the office of sheriff at the time of his death he was a member of the Christian Church. Mrs. Johnson afterward became the wife of the Rev. James B. Braly, whose name is listed among the early and faithful ministers of the gospel in Crawford County. Albert W. Johnson was born in Dent County February 26, 1853, and at the age of eleven years was taken to Steelville, receiving his education in the Steelville Academy. At the age of seventeen years he began to learn the harness-maker's trade, which he followed a year and a half, and then became an apprentice in a newspaper office. One half day in the latter capacity satisfied him, and running away he found employment in driving a team. Through the influence of an uncle he obtained a position with an engineering corps on the St. Louis, Salem & Little Rock Railroad, which company soon afterward created him agent at Steelville. He filled the latter position three years, and in 1877 began merchandising in partnership with William H. Davis. The style of the firm has changed several times, but Mr. Johnson has continued his interest in it, and has been very successful. In 1875 he married Lydia, daughter of Finis E. Braly, who was born in Crawford County in 1856, and is a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. One child has been born to this union, named Warrick B. In politics Mr. Johnson is a Republican.

 

James B. Jones is one of the pioneer citizens of Crawford County, having located here before the survey, and while Missouri was still a territory. As is well known, Indians were then numerous, and opportunities for religious or school gatherings were limited. In about 1831 he entered from the Government a. tract of 160 acres, to which he has since added, and since then he has applied himself principally to farming, an occupation with which he has been acquainted since early childhood. Mr. Jones was born in Wayne County, Ky., in 1822, the second of fourteen children of Thomas and Cordelia (McDermon) Jones. His educational advantages in youth were meager; his studious habits in after years, however, having rendered him well-informed on all general subjects. In August, 1848, Miss Sophronia Province, daughter of Hiram and Rhoda Province, became his wife, and to them have been given fourteen children, five of whom died in early childhood, and four just after they had reached years of maturity. Those living are Hiram M., John W., Mary J. (wife of Henry Benton), Julia (now Mrs. N. A. Smith) and Cordelia (who married Thomas McDonald). Politically, Mr. Tones is a Republican. Himself, wife and children are all members of the Christian Church, lending their aid in all worthy movements tending to the betterment of the community in general.

 

J. A. Key is the eldest in the family of eleven children born to Obadiah and Mary A. (Carter) Key, natives of Kentucky, who settled in Washington County, Mo., when they were children. Immediately after their marriage, in 1825, the parents settled in Crawford County, which has since been their home. Politically a Democrat, Obadiah Key served as county judge and magistrate. He was a good wagon-maker, and both he and wife were members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. Mr. Key died at the age of forty-three years, and his wife at the age of fifty. J. A. Key was born in what is now Crawford County in 1826. He was reared on a farm, and his education was acquired by not more than a twelve months' attendance at school. In early life he hauled goods from St. Louis to Steelville until the building of the railroad, and then learned the wagon-maker's trade, at which he worked more or less until within the last ten years. In 1849 he married Jane A. Craig, who was born in Maries County, Mo., in 1829. They have had seven children, three of whom are living: Samuel A., John T. and David M. Mr. Key owns 314 acres of land, is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and a Democrat in politics. For two years he assisted in conducting the business of the Farmers' Joint Stock Company. Mr. and Mrs. Key are members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. James M. Key, a merchant of Steelville, was born in Crawford County, November 25, 1856, and is a son of William T. and Catherine J. (Wheeling) Key, natives, respectively, of Crawford and Washington Counties, Mo. The paternal grandfather came from Kentucky, while the maternal grandfather was born in Dublin, Ireland, and came to America when quite young. William T. Key was a blacksmith and wagon-maker by trade, and also engaged in merchandising. He died in 1884, at the age of fifty-four years, being a member of the Cumberland

Presbyterian Church, of which church Mrs. Key is a member. Of their five children three are living, one son being a jeweler at Willow Springs, Mo. James M. Key was reared on a farm, received a limited education, and when twenty-two years of age was engaged as a clerk in Steelville, where he was employed three years, and then was called to clerk for the Midland Blast Furnace Company. He was soon after made assistant book-keeper, and later, for two years, had entire charge of the books. Failing sight compelled him to seek other occupation, and for two years he was a traveling salesman from St. Louis. In 1885 he opened a store in Steelville, and has since done his share of the trade. In 1884 he married Mrs. Mary E. Jamison, a native of Crawford County, who is a. member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. In politics, Mr. Key is a Republican.

 

Jacob M. Kinsey, a carpenter and house-builder of Cuba, was born in Noble County, Ind., in 1848, and was there educated and reared to maturity. He seemed, when young, to have a natural aptitude for mechanical industry, and early turned his attention in that direction, his first work of importance being upon a house in his native State, the framework of which he hewed himself from rough timber, not a piece of it being cut by a saw. The weather-boarding and other materials, however, were brought from the sawmill, in the rough, and dressed by him. Since that time he has devoted himself to this occupation with good success. Experience has proven him to be a good draftsman and architect, and since coming to Cuba, in 1880, he has established a substantial reputation, and now employs a number of mechanics to assist him. He also has proper and necessary equipments for moving buildings, which he makes a specialty, frequently being called upon from neighboring towns to do such work. Mrs. Kinsey's maiden name was Mariah C. Weller, daughter of Christian and Isabelle Weller, and to them have been born six children: Elmer C., Florence M., Rosa B., Oliver M. and Hulda A. are living; an infant is deceased. Mr. Kinsey is a Republican in politics, and a member of the A. O. U. W. Himself and wife are worthy members of the Presbyterian Church.

 

 

Benjamin Lea, the only surviving child of John and Bessie Lea, was born in Yorkshire, England, October, 13, 1841. John Lea, also a native of England, was a civil engineer and contractor by trade, and having lived in his native country until  about 1845, be immigrated to America, and settled in St. Francois County, :Mo., soon after removing to Illinois, where he followed railroad and bridge contracting; he died in 1854. Benjamin Lea came to Missouri in 1858 and after working on the construction of the 'Frisco line for a time he engaged as a clerk in his uncle's store. In 1861 he enlisted in Company E, First Missouri Cavalry, and served three years and one month, participating in the battles of Pea Ridge, Prairie Grove and many smaller ones; six days after his return from the war he was called upon to carry a dispatch from Leasburg to Rolla, and was wounded in the right arm. Returning to Missouri in 1865, he married Caroline E. Smith, who was born in England in 1849; they have six children. Having settled at Leasburg, Crawford County, Mr. Lea clerked for his uncle and engaged in various pursuits until 1876, when, in partnership with his uncle, he opened a. store in Scotia.; five years later Mr. Lea. became the sole proprietor and so continued until 1886, when he sold out. The same year he was elected collector, which position he still holds. He is a Republican in politics and a member of the G. A. R. He has been a resident of Crawford County thirty years, and in connection with his official duties is interested in farming.

 

Lawrence H. Lewis, blacksmith and wagon-maker, and also proprietor of Lewis Opera. House, Cuba., Mo., was born in Oswego County, N. Y., in 1844. In the family of his parents, George W. and Sarah (Bassett) Lewis, were eleven children, of whom he was the tenth. Lawrence H. received a good education, and when a young man aspired to be an attorney-at-law; he attended the Ohio State Law College of Cleveland, Ohio, three years, and received a diploma as Bachelor of Laws from that institution in 1868. He was admitted to the bar and also the United States Courts in the same year, but practiced the legal profession but about two years, when ill health compelled him to seek other employment. He then  immigrated to the West, and in 1871 located in Crawford County, Mo., where be has been engaged in various pursuits; he first ran a sawmill, and in 1872 bought a town lot in Cuba, upon which he built and established his present shop in 1876. He keeps competent workmen both in the wagon-making department and the blacksmith shop, employing from eight to ten bands. In 1882 he erected the hall, or opera house, in Cuba, and has now another brick structure in process of erection for the same purpose. In 1874, 1t'Ir. Lewis married Elizabeth, daughter of Walter and Frances (Sutherland) Evans. They have had eight children, five of whom are living, viz.: Cora E., Clarence E ., Laura P ., J .. awrence H., Jr., and an infant. Politically, Mr. Lewis is a staunch Republican, and cast sis first presidential vote for Abraham Lincoln. He is a member of the A. O. U. W.

 

Military information for:  James Leslie Licklider
United States Navy (Submarines) Date entered:  29 May 1963.
                                                 Date retired:  31 July 1988.
James was the son of Leslie and Pearl Licklider of rural (Jake Prairie) Cuba, Missouri.
James  is a Cuba High School alumnus Class of 1963.
Sincerely,
James L. Licklider

 

 

Matthew Little, a representative agriculturist of Oak Hill Township, was born in Scotland, in 1828, the seventh of twelve children in the family of John and Mattie (McClelland) Little, also natives of that country. The father was a shoemaker by trade, and to that occupation young Matthew was brought up, learning also boot and shoe fitting, at which he served an apprenticeship. At the age of eighteen he embarked upon a business career on his own account, and in 1858 took unto himself a wife in the person of Miss Elizabeth, daughter of William Frow, of Scotland. Mr. Little remained engaged at his chosen calling in that country until 1859, when he immigrated to America, settling at Cincinnati, Ohio, and there he resumed his former occupation. Previous to his marriage he had made one trip to the United States, remaining for three years, when he returned in order to bring his bride here. In 1879 he became. a resident of Crawford County, Mo., purchased the homestead on which be now resides, and since that time has devoted himself to agricultural pursuits, with the result that he now owns one of the neatest homes hereabouts. He occupies a worthy place in the a1Iairs of the community, has been school director a number of years, and is a warm supporter of Republican principles. He is a member of the I. O. O. F., and himself and wife belong to the Presbyterian Church. Mr. and Mrs. Little have had three children, one of whom died in early childhood and is interred at Cincinnati. Elizabeth is teaching in the public schools of Cincinnati, and John M. resides with his parents.

 

W. A. Lockhart, of the firm of Lockhart Bros., of Bourbon, Mo., was born in Crawford County, Mo., in 1861, and is the fifth in the family of seven children born to W. O. and Susan (Souders) Lockhart, natives of Indiana, and early settlers of Missouri. W. A. was reared in his native county to the pursuit of agriculture, receiving his education in the common schools. In 1885, in partnership with his brother, and with a joint capital of about $2,500, he engaged in the mercantile business under the firm name of Lockhart Bros. By close application to business and good management they have met with excellent success and are doing a good trade, having purchased the building in which they do business. W. A. Lockhart married, in 1883, Cattie A., daughter of Jerry and Margie Dotter, and of the four children born to this union, but two are living.: William Leslie and Rossie. Mr. and Mrs. Lockhart are worthy members of the Christian Church, and lend their cheerful support to all laudable enterprises. Politically, Mr. Lockhart is partial to the principles of the Republican party.

 

Calvin Vilander Lynch, prominently identified with the farming and mining interests of this county, was born in Greene County, Tenn., in 1830, the eleventh of fourteen children of James and Elizabeth Lynch, natives, respectively, of Virginia and North Carolina. In 1839 they moved with their family to Pulaski County, Ho., where Calvin was soon made familiar with agricultural pursuits, his educational facilities during this time being rather limited. Such a condition of affairs, however, has been greatly improved in later years. In 1852 he purchased forty acres of land and has since accumulated considerable other property, but after disposing of a number of farms now owns only thirty acres, though this stamps him a substantial citizen. He has taken especial interest in mining matters. In 1849 Mr. Lynch was married to Mrs. Matilda Pinnell, widow of Richard Pinnell, who bore him seven children, five of whom survive: James A., Margaret A., Morena E., Mary E. and William. In 1883 this wife died, and the same year Mr. Lynch married Mrs. Eliza J. Harrison, widow of William A. Harrison. One child has blessed this union, Richard C. Mrs. Lynch is the present postmistress of Vilander, an office kept at his residence, and which was named in his honor (from his middle name). It was established in 1885, and is on the route between Potosi and Bourbon. As might be interred, he is a Democrat politically. Himself and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. In 1864 Mr. Lynch enlisted in the Union army and became a member of Company K, Sixty-third Missouri Infantry.

 

David McIntosh, farmer and proprietor of the old Britton Mill, is a son of Alexander and Jennette (Kennedy) McIntosh, natives of Dundee, Scotland, where the mother died. In 1850 the father and his only living child came to America. He lived in Massachusetts a short time and then went to Fond du Lac County, Wis., where he died. In early life he was a baker and flax dresser, but after locating in Wisconsin engaged in farming until his death, which occurred in 1853. David was born in Dundee, Scotland, in 1840, and having lived with his relatives in Massachusetts until 1854, he, too, went to Wisconsin. In 1860 he went to Colorado and engaged in mining, and the following year enlisted in the Colorado Home Guards, and served six months. In 1862 he entered the Second Colorado Cavalry, and served his country three years and two months. Upon his discharge he went to Wisconsin, and in 1866 married Ellen Jameson, a native of Maine. Then he went to Kansas where Mrs. McIntosh died, in 1870, leaving one child, Alice E. In 1885 Mr. McIntosh married Rachel Fleming, and in 1884 moved to Crawford County, Mo. He owns ninety acres of land beside the mill. In politics a Republican, he is also a member of the I. O. O. F., and having learned the carpenter's trade in Wisconsin has devoted considerable attention to that work.

 

John W. Martin, deceased, was born in Virginia in 1805, and when quite small was taken to the State of Kentucky, where he was reared. In 1826, in Casey County, Ky., he married Ann P. Bransom, also a native of Virginia, who was born in 1809. Having lived in Casey County, Ky., until 1839, they removed to Crawford County, Mo., and located on the farm now owned by their son, Charles. Upon his arrival John W. entered 160 acres of land, and by industry and good management became the possessor of nearly 800 acres; be served as justice of the peace for a number of years, and from time to time preached for the surrounding congregations, with his wife, being a member of the Christian Church. He was a Democrat, and was universally respected by all who knew him. His death occurred in 1877. In the family of nine children, the youngest but one, Charles W., was born in his present home in 1844, being reared on the farm, and receiving a. common-school education. In 1861 he married Sarah A. Harman, a native of Tennessee. Mr. and Mrs. Martin have nine children, viz.: George W., Mary E., John M., James A., Andrew, McQuerter, William H., Benjamin F. and Tennyson. The parents are members of the Christian Church. Mr. Martin served two years as road commissioner, and was a school trustee three years. He is one of the leading farmers of Dry Creek, where he owns 330 acres of the best land and deals quite extensively in stock. He votes the Democratic ticket, and is n stockholder in the Christian Reliance Association Store Company, which was founded August 8, 1887, in Union Township, by Milton J. Jones, a native of West Virginia. He was the youngest son of Rev. Thomas and Mary Jones, themselves natives of West Virginia, who immigrated to Franklin County, Mo., in 1869, and thence to Polk County. In 1877 Mr. Jones removed to Webster County, settling in Franklin County May 11, 1878. His wife died at Sullivan November 10. 1879, leaving three children: Robert Elmer, Mary Olive and Minnie Maud. Mr. Jones is a zealous member or the Christian Church.

 

Whitaker A. Martin, a druggist, of Steelville, was born in Jefferson County, Mo., in 1835. Reared a farmer and receiving a limited education, he began clerking in Washington County when twenty years of age, in which capacity be was employed until 1861, when he entered the army as captain of Company A, White's Battalion, Missouri State Guards; having served his term of enlistment he was on his way to join the regular service, when he was taken prisoner, though soon afterward paroled. From 1864 to 1866 he was engaged in mining gold in Montana; and then returning to Missouri he spent some years in contracting on the Iron Mountain Railroad. For a short time he was commissioned stock merchant in Ea.st St. Louis, and in 1886 he bought a stock of drugs in Steelville, where he has since been actively engaged in business. In 1870 he married Susan J. Scott, and to their union were born two children. Mrs. Martin died, and in 1885 Mr. Martin married Mrs. Mollie Mayes, by whom he has one daughter. Politically, Mr. Martin is a. stanch Democrat. His parents were Willis F. and Lucy N. (Mothershead) Martin, natives, respectively, of Georgia and Kentucky, who reared a family of seven children. Willis F. Martin, a. farmer by occupation, came to Missouri in 1812; he died in 1864, at the age of fifty-four years. Mrs. Martin is still living, aged seventy-eight years. They were among the earliest settlers of Jefferson County. Thomas P. Martyn, M. D., a prominent physician of Cuba, was born in Harrison County, Ky. in 1827. He is the second of seven children born to Edward W. and Sarah A. (Phillipps) Martyn, natives, respectively, of Kentucky and Ohio, and the former a farmer by occupation. The paternal grandparents were natives of Virginia, while those on the mother's side came from Pennsylvania. Thomas P. Martyn was reared and educated from ten years of age to maturity in the State of Illinois, and began doing for himself when about nineteen years of age. He began the study of medicine with W. A. Conkey, M. D., of Champaign County, Ill., and T. D. Fisher, of McLean County, Ill. He attended the Louisville (Ky.) Medical College in 1853-54, and began the practice of his chosen profession in Le Roy, McLean Co., Ill., in 1856. In 1847 he was married to Sarah J., daughter of Jacob and Elizabeth Gritton, and to this union have been born eight children, six of whom are living: Mary C. (now the wife of Millard Godwin), Sarah E., Freelove E. (wife of Rev. James Pine), Jessie A ., John H. (who is now studying medicine). and Charlie C. Those deceased are William E., who is buried at Da1las City, Ore., and Marion H., buried in Crawford County, Mo. Dr. Martyn came to Crawford County in 1869, and has been a successful practitioner of the county ever since. During the late war he served the Union as assistant surgeon at Nashville, Tenn. He is a Republican in politics, and always supports his party cheerfully. He and wife are worthy members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.

 

Edward Marsh, a son of James and Sarah (Isbell) Marsh, was born in Amherst County, Va., in 1827. The parents were also natives of Amherst County, Va., where they were married, and in 1830 moved to St. Louis County, Mo., a short time after locating in Osage County, where they spent the remainder of their lives. James Marsh was a farmer and a Democrat in politics, and served in the State Militia as colonel, which title he always kept. Both parents were members of the Methodist Church, and in their family were eight children. Edward Marsh was chiefly reared in Osage County, receiving but a limited education. In 1850 he drove an ox team across the plains to California, where he engaged in mining about one year, and then returned to his home by the way of Panama and New Orleans. During the war be served in the enrolled militia, and held the offices of corporal and sergeant. In 1852 he married Virginia A. Seay, daughter of Camm Seay; she was born in Amherst County, Va., in 1830, and died in 1870, leaving nine children. The following year Mr. Marsh married Margaret A. Metcalf, who was born in Jackson County, Ohio, in 1844. To the last union have been born three children. Mr. Marsh is a Mason and a Democrat, nod since the war has been engaged in farming_ Having lived in Osage County until 1868, be moved to Crawford County and settled where be now resides, owning about 360 acres of land. Mrs. Marsh is a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, and Mr. Marsh takes an active interest in church and school affairs.

 

George W. Matlock, business manager of the Farmers' Joint Stock Company, was born in Crawford County, in 1845. He received a common-school education, and remained on the farm until twenty-five years of age, when he was employed as a clerk in Cuba. In 1876 he was elected to his present position of business manager of the Farmers' Joint Stock Company, and in 1882 was made secretary and treasurer of the same, holding the latter position from 1876 to 1880 also. He has been president and a director of the bank of Steelville since its organization, and is a director of the Riverside Roller Mill Company. In 1871 Mr. Matlock married Jennie Halbert, a native of South Carolina, by whom he has one son, Clarence. Politically a Democrat and a member of the Masonic fraternity, Mr. Matlock is one of the most enterprising business men of Steelville, and bas been very successful in a financial way. He is a son of Elias Matlock, one of the oldest living settlers of Crawford County, whose parents were Robert and Mary (Carpenter) Matlock, residents of Kentucky until about the year 1818, when they settled in Crawford County, Mo., and engaged in farming. Both lived to a good old age, and of their four children Elias was the eldest. The latter was born in Washington County, Ky., in 1807, and at the age of nine years came to Missouri with his grandfather, Isom Matlock. Elias Matlock married Mary Reeves, who was born in Washington County, Ky., in 1811, and died in 1852. Mr. Matlock next married Allie Francis, and after her death Mrs. Cicily A. Halbert became his wife. Mr. Matlock owns six or seven hundred acres of land, nil of which is the just reward of his industry. In politics he has been a lifelong Democrat, having cast his first presidential vote for Jackson. In 1876 he was elected treasurer of the county, and in 1878 was re-elected, discharging his official duties in a creditable and satisfactory manner. Zachariah T. Maxwell Was born in Washington County, Mo., in 1847, and is the fourth in the family of twelve children of Thomas and Lucinda (Johnson) Maxwell, native respectively, of Virginia and South Carolina, nod the latter a daughter of Ashley Johnson. Zachariah T. Maxwell was educated in the common schools and the Academy of Caledonia, Mo., and began doing for himself in 1868. He was reared on a farm, but learned the carpenter's trade, being very successful also as a cabinet-maker and furniture dealer. In 1875 he opened a general store at Osage, Crawford County, and has followed various pursuits, always meeting with a fair amount of success. In 1871 he married Lucy, daughter of Harvey and Martha F. Sitton. Two children have been born to this union, viz.: Eugene T., born August 18, 1872, and. Mary E., born July 15, 1875. Mr. Maxwell is one of the enterprising men of Crawford County, and that he is highly esteemed by the community is demonstrated by the fact that he was elected to represent Crawford County in the State Legislature in 1886, which position he still holds with credit to himself, and to the satisfaction of all. Mr. and Mrs. Maxwell are worthy members of the Missionary Baptist Church. He is also a member of the I. O. O. F., and a staunch Democrat in politics.

 

Samuel W. Meineke, M. D., a rising young practitioner of the Homeopathic school of physicians of Crawford County, was born in Oak Hill Township, this county, in 1855. He is the sixth in the family of eleven children of Dr. Louis D. and Marin. S. (Muskat) Meineke, both natives of Germany, Rod early settlers of Crawford County, Mo. Dr. Louis D. Meineke was a student under the celebrated Prof. Morse, and was a graduated A. M. and also an M. D. He was a very successful physician in Gasconade and Crawford Counties, and after fifty years devoted to the duties of his profession departed this life in. 1886. Samuel W. Meineke began the study of medicine under his father in 1876, and in 1881 graduated from the Missouri Homeopathic College of St. Louis, since which time he has turned his attention to the practice of medicine. In 1880 he was married to Jennie, daughter of Jackson and Clementine (Underwood) Martin. Mr. and Mrs. Meineke are the parents of one child, Gracie. Dr. Meineke is permanently located at Oak Hill, where he is rapidly gaining a large practice, enjoying the confidence of many patrons. He is just completing one of the handsomest concrete residences in the village, and expects soon to open a drug store. His political opinions are Republican, and his first presidential vote was cast for James A. Garfield. Dr. Meineke also belongs to the A. O. U. W., for which fraternity he is medical examiner. John Moss, son of David and Rachel Moss, nee Boone, was born in Tennessee in 1836, and is the fourth of six children in the family of his parents. His father was a Kentuckian by birth, as was also the mother, the latter being a descendant of Daniel Boone, the celebrated hunter. John remained in his native State until the age of sixteen, receiving the benefits of more than an average education. In 1852 be removed to Missouri and settled in Maries County, where he followed agricultural pursuits until his marriage, in 1855, to Miss Martha, daughter of Henry Barnhart. Five children blessed this union, three of whom are living: Thomas H., Joseph W. and Arvazene. In 1869 Mr. Moss came to Crawford County, settling upon a farm of 120 acres, where he applied himself assiduously and successfully to agricultural pursuits. In 1874 he was deprived of his wife by death, her burial occurring at Leasburg, Crawford County. In 1875 Mr. Moss was united in marriage with Barbara Barnhart, a sister of his first wife. In 1882 he purchased his present place near Cuba, and here has since resided, owning a well improved, comfortable homestead under good cultivation. Public affairs have for him little attraction. He belongs to the A. O. U. W., and both himself and wife arc active members and liberal supporters of the Methodist Church. Politically, he is a Democrat, and now has the contract for carrying the United States mail from Cuba Junction to the post office in Cuba.

 

Robert Moore, a produce and grocery merchant of Cuba, is a native of Crawford County, and was born March 3, 1835. He is the eldest of the four children of Ezekiel and Sarah (Morris) Moore. He was reared on a farm and received a limited education from the common schools of his native county, beginning work for himself when about twenty years of age. In 1855 he was married to Mary, daughter of William Brittain. Two sons were born to this union, both of whom died in early childhood. In 1862 Mr. Moore enlisted in the Confederate army, Company B, Eighth Missouri Infantry, under Capt. Pinnell, and served about eight months, participating in the battle of Parma Grove, Ark.; he was taken prisoner a short time afterward at his home, and confined at Fort Wyman, Rolla, Mo., being released February 1, 1863, under a bond not to take up arms again. After the war he was engaged in furnishing the Frisco Railroad with wood and ties until 1866, and then was employed as a clerk in the general store of Green & Smith. He next, in partnership with George Jackson, under the firm name of Moore & Jackson, opened a general store in Cuba, subsequently selling his interest to his partner. He was then engaged with Newman, Moore & Co., and still later, merchandised at Wilson's Mills. He is now doing a prosperous business in his line in Cuba, and belongs to the A. O. U. W. Mrs. Moore is a worthy member of the Baptist Church, and the family is a highly respected one in the community in which they live. He is a Democrat in politics.

 

Christopher Mountz, a well known farmer of Crawford County, was born in Pennsylvania in 1828, and is the second of the nine children of John and Elizabeth (Gardner) Mountz. He was reared in his native State, served an apprenticeship as foreman, and in 1850 immigrated to Missouri, where he was employed in the old Massey Iron Works for a considerable time. In 1853 he bought 160 acres of land, entering eighty acres more, and the same year was married to Martha M., daughter of George W. Bottorff. Of the thirteen children (six sons and seven daughters) born to this union, two are deceased. Those living are: John G., Desdemona (now the wife of Oren Cranmer), Thomas E., Ellen E., Louis J., Mary Jane (now the wife of Emory Marion), Anna, William S., Charles C., Clara D. and Herbert F. Since the war Mr. Mountz has turned his entire attention to the farm, and now owns 360 acres well under cultivation and 300 acres fenced. He has plenty of stock and a comfortable residence, and is highly respected by all who know him. Though not an office seeker, he served for several years as justice of the peace, and in politics votes the Democratic ticket. Mrs. Mountz is a worthy member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.

 

Old settlers of Crawford County

October 2, 1884 - James H. Moutray was born in Orange County, North Carolina, and when eighteen years old first started for the west.  When he reached Kentucky on the way, he found an Indian war in progress.  He enlisted in an army company and that was being raised to fight in the uprising.  After his discharge he came to St. Charles, Missouri Territory, reaching there in 1810.  Soon after, he came to the lead mines in Washington County and worked a year for John Smith T, the famed duelest and lead miner.

He next worked for William H. Ashley on Brazil Creek, near what would later be Anthonies Mill.  Ashley, of course, was the famed fur trader, explorer, legislator and lead miner.  During the War of 1812 Mr. Moutray joined a company of militia that was formed to quell an Indian uprising in the Missouri territory.  When the company was disbanded, Mr. Moutray came back to Washington County and married Miss Polly Higginbotham.  He settled on Brazil Creek in 1816 and followed the trade of gunsmith, working with the Delaware and Shawnee Indians.  After several years on Brazil Creek he moved to Jefferson County where he lived until 1839; he then moved to Crawford County and settled two miles below present day Berryman.

His parents, two brothers and sister came to Crawford County in 1820.  His brother Larkin married Miss Susan Hyde a few years after coming to Missouri.  They lived between Hinch Creek and the Harrison Cemetery.  His sister Patsy married David Greenlee; George, the other brother, married a Miss Woods.

James H. and Polly Moutray raised a family of five boys and seven girls.  Of the boys there are two now living; William A. in Crawford County and Septon R. in Santa Clara, California.  Four of the girls are living; Miss Mary, Mrs. Elba Blaunt, Mrs. Melzena Trask and Mrs. Joanna Farrar, all of Crawford County.

James H. Moutray died January 13, 1864.  His wife, Polly, died November 22, 1879.  They are buried in the Berryman Cemetery.

 

 

Alexander M. Munro, a prominent citizen of Crawford County, was born in Scotland, in 1829, and is the eldest of the five children of Alexander, Sr., and Margaret (Monson) Munro, the former a prominent school teacher of about thirty years standing in Scotland. Alexander M. Munro received a common school education, and in 1857 immigrated to Canada. In 1859 he married Nancy, daughter of James Fleming, who was a farmer and a native of Ireland. Mr. Munro followed the trade of a blacksmith and machinist, to which trade he had served an apprenticeship of five years in his native country. The climate in Canada, being too severe for him he immigrated to Missouri, in 1867, with his wife and two sons-one son has been born to him since then-and their children are: John M., James A. and Andrew S. Mr. Munro was engaged at his trade several years, but has since turned his attention to farming and handling agricultural implements. He owned 450 acres of land and some town property, which he has divided among his sons. In 1882 he was elected justice of the peace, being reelected in 1886, and is the present incumbent of that office which he fills to the satisfaction of all. In politics be is a Republican, and cast his first presidential vote for U. S. Grant. Mr. and Mrs. Munro are worthy members of the United Presbyterian Church, to which they give cheerful and hearty support.

 

Joseph S. Murray is a son of Beryman G. and Mary A. (Stephens) Murray, the former of whom was born at Cumberland Gap, Tenn., in 1800, and the latter was born near the Mammoth Cave, Ky., about 1811. The parents were married in Washington County, Mo., of which they were early settlers, removing to Crawford County about 1838, where the father engaged in farming, having previously worked at mining.· Though a slave-holder he was a strong Union man, and both be and wife were members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. In their family were eleven children, the eldest of whom served in the Confederate army. Joseph S., the youngest but one, was born on the farm where he now lives, in 1846. In 1862 he volunteered in Company F, Thirty second Missouri Infantry, Union army, and served three years; he participated in the battles of Chickasaw Bayou, Bentonville (N. C.), Siege of Vicksburg, Chattanooga, Lookout Mountain, Resaca, Jackson, Dallas, Ezra Church, Peachtree Creek, Stone Mountain, Jonesboro, Savannah, Kennesaw Mountain, Arkansas Post, with Sherman on his campaign from Atlanta to the sea, and thence to Washington, being discharged at Louisville, Ky., in 1866. He was also present at the surrender of Gen. Joe Johnston. He returned to Crawford County, Mo., and the following year married Julia A. Brickey, a native of Crawford County. Mr. and Mrs. Murray have five children, viz.: William T., Susan, Carrie, Spain and Gratz. After his marriage Mr. Murray settled on his present farm, which contains 195 acres. Politically, he is a Republican.

Many Bios excerpts are from ‘History of Franklin, Jefferson, Washington, Crawford, & Gasconade Counties, Missouri’, The Goodspeed Publishing Co. 1888

Last up-dated 09/22/2013

Return to the Bios Page.

Return to the Home Page.