Crawford County, Missouri
Volunteers Dedicated to Free Genealogy!
James M. Pickens has gained extensive acquaintance in Crawford and surrounding counties in the capacity of minister of the gospel as well as agriculturist. He was born in Anderson County, S. C., and is the seventh of nine children of Robert and Martha (Smith) Pickens, the former of whom was a farmer by occupation, and reared his son to that calling. James M. received a good academic education in addition to his primary schooling, after which be taught for several years. At the age of twenty-one he entered the South Carolina Volunteer Cavalry of the State service, was elected and served four years as captain of the Greenwood troops, at the expiration of which time he was promoted to colonel of the First Regiment of Cavalry. In 1859, however, he resigned to resume command of his old company as captain. At the outbreak of the late war he enlisted as second lieutenant in Company G, Twenty-second Regiment of the South Carolina Volunteers, in November, 1861, and in September, 1862, was promoted to captain, thus serving until the surrender on April 9, 1865. During his service he participated in numerous engagements, among which were those in the campaign of Beauregard, and with Lee from Petersburg to Appomattox. December 28, 1852, Mr. Pickens married Miss Louisa J., daughter of Moses and Sarah Welborn, after which he purchased a farm and attended to its improvement, but in common with others he lost nearly everything by the ravages of war, and subsequently, in 1869, came to Missouri, where he has since quietly remained. At first be located in Cuba, but soon selected a claim of seventy-seven acres, partly improved, to which, with means obtained in teaching and stock-raising, he has been able to add at different times until he now owns 197 acres, comfortably improved, and with good surroundings. Religious matters find in him a ready worker. For twenty years he has been occupied in preaching whenever called upon to do so, offering his services freely and without compensation. To himself and wife a worthy family of children have been born: Sarah H. (wife of J. J. Elliston), Luther W., Martha S., Robert F., Nancy J. (now Mrs. Wm. F. Young), James M., Dora M. V. and Nora J.C. (twins), Ruth L. and Olivia K. Mr. and Mrs. Pickens and their children are members of the Methodist Church.
Ethan Allen Pinnell, attorney, was born in Crawford County, Mo., November 17. 1984. He was reared a farmer, and his education was obtained in the subscription schools before his fourteenth year. He worked on the farm until twenty years of age, and then spent one winter in Illinois, but, returning, he helped clear the way for the 'Frisco Railroad across the Meramec Bottom. He next engaged in teaching and studying until the outbreak of the war, and, in July, 1861, be enlisted in Company F, Third· Missouri Cavalry, being soon appointed sergeant. Upon the expiration of his term of service he returned home and raised Company A, Mitchell's Regiment, of which he was chosen second lieutenant in August, 1862. The following October, by consolidation, be was elected captain of Company D, Eighth Missouri Infantry, in which capacity he served until the close of the war. He returned to Illinois where he worked on a farm one year, and for several years taught and studied law. He was admitted to the bar in 1873, at Steelville, Mo., and prosecuted the practice of the legal profession in Cuba, Mo., until 1882, when be removed to Steelville. The same year he was elected probate judge, which position he filled four years. In 1871 he married Frances E. Collier, who was born in Letcher County, Ky., in 1849, but was reared in Gasconade County, Mo. Mr. and Mrs. Pinnell are the parents of six children. In religion they affiliate with the Methodist Church. Politically, Mr. Pinnell is a Democrat. He is also a Master Mason, and for fourteen years has successfully practiced law. His father, Wesley Pinnell, was born in Christian County, Ky., in 1810. His ancestors were French Huguenots who settled in South Carolina. Wesley Pinnell married Maria C. Marquis, also of French descent, who was born in Missouri, in 1813, and of their nine children six grew to maturity. Mrs. Pinnell died in 1852, and be afterward married Margaret Hamilton, who bore him five children. The father still lives, and has always been a farmer. In politics he has sympathized with the Republican Party since the war. Andrew B. Pinnell was born in Crawford County, Mo., in 1861, and is the first-born of the two children of James and Maria (Treece) Pinnell. His brother Henry, is now baggage-master on the 'Frisco Railroad from Springfield, Mo., to Halstead, Kas. Andrew B. was reared a farmer, and educated in the common schools of his native county. His father dying when he was a child, he was, early in life, thrown upon his own resources, and was principally engaged in farming until nineteen years of age, when he went to St. Louis, .and was employed at various places in the capacity of clerk. When but school children an attachment was formed between Andrew B. and Mary, daughter of Berry and Louisa Romine, which, in their mature years, ripened into a deeper affection, and the young couple were duly engaged. Mr. Pinnell, becoming dissatisfied with his employment in St. Louis, recklessly enlisted in the regular United States service at St. Louis, April 1, 1881, being first assigned to Jefferson Barracks, and the same year transferred to the Second United States Cavalry at Fort Assiniboine, Montana, where he did duty two years, and then spent ten months at Fort Custer. He was assigned from place to place, and did duty in Missouri, Montana, Idaho, and Washington Territory. Oregon and California, and upon the expiration of five years was honorably discharged at Fort Coeur de Alene, Idaho, March 31, 1886. He proceeded to his home, arriving in Crawford County, Mo., April 13, 1886, and was married to his affianced the 5th day of May following. One child blessed this union which died in infancy. Since his marriage Mr. Pinnell has turned his attention to farming, and owns 220 acres of land, well stocked. Mrs. Pinnell is a devoted member of the Christian Church. Politically Mr. Pinnell is a staunch Republican, and, with his wife, is highly respected by all who know him.
William T. Powell, who takes rank with the successful farmers of Crawford County, is a native of Christian County, Ill., and is the seventh of the twelve children of Joseph E. and Cynthia A. (Elliott) Powell, natives, respectively, of North Carolina and Alabama, who settled in Crawford County, Mo. , in 1848. William T. received a good education in the graded schools of Steelville, Mo., and subsequently followed the vocation of a teacher in the public schools for several terms. He afterward studied law, and was a practitioner of the legal profession in the courts of justice for a while. At the time of his marriage, which occurred in 1871, he was engaged as a clerk in a general store at Cuba, Mo., but soon afterward began farming, to which occupation be has since devoted the greater part of his attention. His wife was Phoebe A., daughter of John and Cyrena Taylor, early settlers of Crawford County. Of the eight children born to Mr. and Mrs. Powell, five died in early childhood. Those living are Joseph W., Lena H. and Minnie F. During the war Mr. Powell enlisted in the Union army, State Militia, serving ninety days, but participating in no hard-fought battles. He now owns 163 acres of land and a comfortable home. A Democrat, politically, he has served five years as justice of the peace, and has also filled the office of notary public. He and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. and command the respect of friends and neighbors.
H. M Ramsey, abstracter and deputy collector of Crawford County, is a son of John H. Ramsey, who came from Tennessee with his father. De Lafayette Ramsey, in an early day, and settled in Crawford County. The exact date of the immigration is not known, but the records show land entered by them in 1837. De Lafayette Ramsay lived to be ninety-six years of age. John H. was an enterprising farmer and a staunch Democrat. His wife, Nancy Britton, is a native of Crawford County, and a member of one of the pioneer families. Their family consisted of three children, of whom H. M., the youngest, was born in 1860. John B., Ramsey died in 1868, his wife having died in 1862. H. M. Ramsey was educated in the common schools and in Steelville Academy. Since he was eighteen years of age he has been .almost constantly employed in some of the county offices as deputy. In 1883 he married Miss Laura A. Evans, who was born in St. Francois County, Mo., in 1859. They have two sons and one daughter. Mr. Ramsey is a warm Supporter of the principles of the Republican Party, and is one of the best posted men in the county on the internal workings of the different county offices.
Benjamin B. Reagan was born in Sevier County, East Tennessee, in 1884, and is the youngest child in the family of six born to Timothy and Barbara (Schultz) Reagan, both natives of East Tennessee, and of Irish and German descent, respectively. After the death of his first wife Timothy Reagan married Martha Moore, by whom he had seven children. Timothy Reagan was a farmer and blacksmith, and died at the age of eighty-seven years. At the age of four months Benjamin B. Reagan was brought to Madison County, Mo., by his parents, where he was reared on a farm, receiving a limited education. When twenty years old be was employed to drive an ox team at a furnace, and has filled all the positions from that up to superintendent, there being no work about a foundry that he does not thoroughly understand. From 1854 to 1873 he worked at Pilot Knob Furnace, and in 1875 was employed at the Midland Blast Furnace as receiver of coal, being made wood-boss four years later. In 1881 he was promoted to the position of superintendent, which position be has since ably filled. In 1861 he married Utica Kunkelman, and they have three daughters, viz.: Edith B., Mary M. and Grace E. Mrs. Reagan and the daughters are members of the Episcopal Church. In politics Mr. Reagan prefers the conservative policy. He is a Master Mason.
Lafayette D. Rennaux, M. D., was born in Stone County, Ark., in 1857, and is the eldest of the three children of Stanislus D. and Polly A. (Hudson) Rennaux. The parents died within eight days of each other, when Lafayette D. was but five years of age, who, with his younger sister, was taken by an uncle, Jerry King, of Crawford County, Mo. When but eleven months of age the sister was separated from her brother by death, and Lafayette D. is now the only surviving member of the family. When eighteen years of age, he left his uncle, up to that time having received no education, but seeing the necessity of study he industriously applied himself, working on a farm and doing any honorable business for wages, and studying at any available moment. He later attended school eight and one-half months at Salem, Mo., and taught seven terms in the country school. In 1879 he began the study of medicine under M. M. Hamlin, M. D., at Gray's Summit, and in 1880 entered the American Medical College at St. Louis, Mo., from which institution he received a diploma in 1883. He began the practice of his chosen profession in Robertsville. Franklin Co., Mo., where he has met with well-merited success as a rising young physician. In 1885 he was married to Sarah A., daughter of William R. and Somira A. (Davidson) Davis. One son, Courtney F., has blessed this union. The Doctor is a staunch Republican, and cast his first presidential vote for James G. Blaine. He and wife are highly respected members of the United Baptist Church.
William R. Roach, farmer, minister and hotel-keeper, of Bourbon, was born in Davidson County, Tenn., in 1826, and is the third of nine children born to James C. and Elizabeth (Little) Roach. When William R. was a child his parents moved to Kentucky, where he grew to maturity, receiving but a limited common-school education; by close application in later years he became a fine scholar, and is well posted on all general subjects. In 1849 he was married to Mary A., daughter of Thomas Burgess, and of their nine children, six are now living, viz.: Margaret E., Sarah C., James H., William L., Thomas S. J. and Edward M. Mrs. Roach died in 1869, and was buried in Franklin County, Mo. In 1869 Mr. Roach married Amanda J., widow of Nathaniel Moxley. One child has been born to this union, Franci11 B. Mr. Roach removed to Missouri in 1855, and settled in Crawford County, where he bought forty acres of land; he also owns the hotel at Bourbon. He is a minister of the gospel, being an adherent of the Baptist faith, of which church his wife is also a worthy member. Though not a political aspirant, 'Mr. Roach is a staunch Democrat, and commands the respect of all who know him.
Benjamin F. Russell, editor of the Crawford County Mirror, was born in Greenwood, Maine, October 26. 1644, and after attending the common schools, entered Gould's Academy, Bethel, Maine. In 1861 he enlisted in Company G, Tenth Maine Infantry, United States army, and served two years, taking part in the battles of Winchester, Falling Waters, Front Royal, Cedar Mountain (at which place he received a severe wound) and the campaigns of the Shenandoah Valley. Upon the expiration of his term of enlistment he returned home and attended one term longer at the Gould's Academy. In October, 1862, he entered the Third Massachusetts Cavalry, and, as a reward for meritorious conduct in the Red River expedition, was promoted to first lieutenant; he was under the command of Sheridan in the Shenandoah Valley, serving until the close of the war. In 1871 be immigrated to Texas County, Mo., and after farming for a time turned his attention to journalism, publishing the Wutern Success at Salem. He was subsequently local editor of the Texas County Pioneer, and, having purchased the Crawford County Mirror, he moved it to Steelville. The Mirror was born to live, and has witnessed the funeral rites of seven county papers, and, with one exception, has the largest circulation of any paper ever published in the congressional district. Mr. Russell is an active and out-spoken Republican in politics. His father, Benjamin, traces his origin to the House of Russell, of England, the head of which, Hugh Du Rozel, settled in England with William the Conqueror. Our subject married Bessie L. Millsaps. Mr. Russell is a man of literary taste, and was twice chosen poet of the Missouri Press Association. That he is possessed of some poetic genius the following selection from his poems testifies:
A weary traveler on the desert wide,
Foot-sore and hungry set him down to rest;
And toying with the pebbles by his side,
Unthinking, placed one in his girded vest.
He bore it as an odd but worthless stone,
Until one day a lapidist he met,
Who looked upon It and declared that none
A richer diamond bad discovered yet.
'Twas cut and polished, and a brighter gem
No eye bad seen. The ransom or a king
It well might be, or glitter in a diadem;
And he had thought it but a worthless thing.
And there are souls hid 'neath a rugged form,
'Oft passed unnoticed by the careless eye,
'Till sorrow's touch, or life' tempestuous storm,
Disclose their beauty to the passer-by.
And though the pilgrim in these lower lands
May never know the value or these gems;
In God's good time and In His tender hands,
They'll shine and deck immortal diadems.
George W. Sanders, a farmer of Union Township, is a son of James and Elizabeth (Hudspeth) Sanders, both Kentuckians by birth, the former born in Mason County in 1800, and the latter in Warren County in 1802. They came to Missouri when young, settling in what is now Washington County. In 1821 they were married, and the same year moved to Crawford County, and located on the Hazzah, making farming their occupation. Though the father came here at such an early day, when game was so abundant, he never killed a deer. For many years be was justice of the peace, and for several terms was county judge; politically, he was a staunch Democrat. In 1882 his death occurred, and his funeral sermon was preached by John Thomas, who had known him for sixty-five years. Mrs. Sanders still survives, and makes her home with the subject of this sketch. Her husband upon settling in this community was without means, but by thorough, well applied, energetic efforts became possessor of some 2,000 acres. In their family were twelve children, of whom one son and three daughters are living. George W., the only living son, was born in this county in 1833, and bas therefore been a resident of it for fifty-five years. He was reared on a farm, obtaining an education in the old subscription schools, and at the age of twenty he began merchandising, continuing the same for four years. In 1859 Miss Eva Trask became his wife. She was born in Crawford County in 1840, and has borne her husband nine children, eight of whom are living: James M., George N., Andrew J., Martha L., Samuel I., John F., Lizzie and Joel J. Mrs. Sanders is a member of the Baptist Church; politically, Mr. Sanders is a Democrat. For six years he held the office of public administrator, was county clerk eight years, and collector six years; he is a Mason, and also belongs to the A. O. U. W. In 1867 he settled in Steelville, and lived there for fifteen years, but in 1885 moved to the place he now occupies, owning here and elsewhere about 1,736 acres.
Lylburn H. Scott, senior member of the firm of Scott, Bass & Co., Steelville, was born in Washington County, Mo., in 1849. He was reared on a farm and received his education in the district schools nod at Steelville. He remained at home until 1877, when he became o. member of the firm of Devol, Martin & Co., and has ever since been engaged in mercantile pursuits. The firm has changed several times, assuming its present name in 1886; they do the most extensive general mercantile business in the town, besides handling nearly all of the wheat that comes into Steelville, having a large storeroom and a spacious wareroom. Mr. Scott is interested in the Bank of Steelville and in the Cuba & Steelville Telephone Company. He is vice-president and director of the Riverside Roller Milling Company. In 1881 he married Josie M. Milsaps, a native of Dent County, Mo.; they have two children, Elfleda Amanda and Raymond C. S. Mrs. Scott is a member of the Baptist Church. Cyrus B. Scott, father C1f Lylburn H., was a farmer of Washington County, who came to Steelville during the war, and for several years was engaged in merchandising. He married Mrs. Susan Parkenson, nee Higginbotham, who bore him two children, Lylburn H. and a daughter, Susan, who married W. A. Martin. Lewis C. Scott, constable and deputy sheriff of Crawford County, was born near Nashville, Tenn., in 1853, and when quite small was brought to Osage County, Mo., where he grew up and received a limited education. Upon reaching manhood he began dealing in stock, which he has always kept to a greater or less extent. For about four years he was 1nail contractor in Osage and Gasconade Counties, and for seven years was deputy road overseer, at the same time being engaged in farming. In 1875 he married Laura E. Rand, a native of Osage County. Mrs. Scott died in 1878, leaving one child, Eva L. Three years later Mr. Scott married Louisa D. Lewis, who was born in Gasconade County. Of the four children born to this union, three are living, viz.: Gustie, Emma and Austin. Having lived in Osage County until 1882, Mr. Scott removed to Crawford County and located on the farm where they now reside, which consists of 230 acres. He was elected constable of Meramec Township in 1886, and also tills the office of deputy sheriff. Mr. Scott votes the Democratic Ticket, and he and wife are worthy members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church.
Lemuel Self is the eldest of the two children born to Fountain and Sarah (Williams) Self, whose nativity is not known, but who were residents of New Madrid County, Mo., as early as 1812; the mother died in Tennessee, and the father in Pulaski County, Mo. Lemuel Self was born about 1814, and from the time he was fourteen years of age made his own way in the world. At the age of sixteen he went to Washington County, Mo., where he married Sarah Eaton, and of their eight children five are living, viz.: Eliza J., William J., Mary A., James M. and Angeline. Mrs. Sarah Self died in 1873, and Mr. Self afterward married Mrs. Mary M. Edgar, who died in 1886. He was elected squire but served only a short time, when he resigned the position. He has been a hard-working man all his life, and for many years worked in wood, making furniture, plows, wagons, etc. He came to Crawford County in 1840, and about two years afterward settled on the fa.rm now owned by his son, James M. The latter was born in 1846, and his education was limited to the common branches. He taught one term of school, but has since devoted the most of his attention to farming and blacksmithing. In 1867 he married Martha C. Cole, a native of Washington County, Mo. Mr. and Mrs. Self are the parents of eight children, as follows: Eddie, Sarah J., Eula, Herschel, Lucien, Angeline M., James L. and Mary L. In 1882 Mr. Self was nominated on the Democratic ticket for associate justice against T. E. Carr, and was beaten by only one vote, that one being the vote he cast for his opponent. He owns 360 acres of land, and is an enterprising farmer.
James B. Simpson, a pioneer citizen of Crawford County, and an old and respected resident of this portion of the State, was born in Franklin County, Mo., March 11, 1818, and is now, therefore. a little past the allotted age of threescore years and ten. Eight children were in the family of his parents, John S. and Delilah (Greenstreet) Simpson, of whom he was the youngest. His father came originally from South Carolina, while his mother was a native of Kentucky. They were among the pioneer citizens of Missouri, and bore their full share in the development and improvement of the section where they made their home. James' birth occurred at an early day in the county's history, when but little had been done in the way of improvement, and when mischievous Indians kept the watchful settler on the alert at all times. Owing to the primitive condition of schools while growing up, he was denied the privileges of but a limited education until quite a large boy, but through his own efforts he has acquired a good knowledge of the current affairs of the day, and keeps well posted on all general subjects. In 1838 he was married to Miss Mary, daughter of John and Sarah Cantley, nee Gibson. To them have been born four children, three of whom survive: John G., Martha J. and Mary E. All are married and have homes of their own. Mr. and Mrs. Simpson still reside upon the old homestead, and can claim eighteen grandchildren, and three great-grandchildren. They are well preserved in years, and enjoy the respect of a wide circle of friends. Mr. Simpson is a staunch Democrat, and has held the office of justice of the peace for twelve years. Himself and wife are members of the Baptist Church.
John J. Simpson, a merchant of Davisville, is a son of James B. and Mary
(Sanders) Simpson, and was born in Crawford County, in 1854. James B. Simpson came to Crawford County when young, married, and engaged in fanning and merchandising. In political faith he was a Democrat. In a family of five children John J. was the eldest son. He was reared a farmer, and received a good common-school education, having been dependent upon his own resources since he was thirteen years of age. In 1873 he married Mary Waller, who was also born in Crawford County. Mr. and Mrs. Simpson have been blessed with five children, who are named Luella, Ethel, Thomas H., Corbet C. and John H. Mr. Simpson conducted a saloon in Davisville for about four years, and in 1886, in partnership with G. N. Sanders, opened a stock of general merchandise, in which they have been very successful. In connection with his mercantile business Mr. Simpson also carries on farming. He was commissioned postmaster of Davisville in 1885, and still fills that office.
Reuben Smith (deceased) was born in Simpson County, Ky., and when about eighteen years of age moved to Cooper County, Mo., where he worked in the lead business. Soon after he moved to Potosi, Washington County, where be engaged in smelting lead, and dealing in stock. Sometime after he was engaged with Maj. Manning in lead smelting for about eighteen years, becoming well off, but during the war he lost about $12.000. He married Decey Mason, a native of North Carolina, who came to Missouri when young. They settled in Crawford County in 1855. He lived to be eighty-four and she, seventy-two years of age. Of their five children only two live in Crawford County, Henry C. and John M., twins, born in Washington County, in 1852, though principally reared in Crawford County. Henry C. received a common-school education, and at the age of eighteen years began to do for himself, farming and trading in live stock. He spent about seven years in Texas, farming, selling fruit, and railroading, returning in 1882, when be settled where he now lives, owning, in partnership with his brother, 444 acres of land, which is well stocked. It has pleased Henry C. to live in single blessedness. In 1887 John M. married Milona Askine, a native of Crawford County. They are both enterprising and highly respected farmers.
Henry W. Smith was born in Washington County, Penn., in 1828. He was the eldest in the family of eight children born to William H. and Matilda (Wise) Smith, the former born in Bucks County, Penn., and the latter a native of
Washington County, Penn. The father was of English descent, his ancestors,
being Quakers in religion, and the mother was of German descent. From Pennsylvania the parents moved to Grant County, Ind., about 1841, and about eleven years later located in Putnam County, Ill., where the father died at the age of seventy-eight years. While in Grant County he held the office of county commissioner, and was twice a member of the Legislature from that county. By occupation he was a miller, farmer and merchant. Henry W. Smith was reared to the miller's trade, and at the age of eighteen learned the millwright's trade. He located in Crawford County in 1859, where he has repaired a great many and built nine new mills, the first mill be erected being on the site of the old William Brittain mill. During the war he served a short time in the State Militia, but devoted most of his attention to procuring supplies for the army. He purchased his present property at Wilson's Mills, in 1878, and also owns about 300 acres of land. In 1850 he married Emily Smith, and their union was blessed with three children, viz.: Matilda, Lewis and Harry. After the loss of his first wife Mr. Smith married Martha E. Palmer. To the latter marriage three children have been born: Frederick J., Edward M. and Henry W. Mr. and Mrs. Smith are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. In Politics he is a Republican.
Duthon B. Snody was born in Dresden, Washington Co., N. Y., in 1820, and is the sixth of eight children of James and Hannah (Willsey) Snody. He received a good common-school education in his native State, and began doing for himself about 1836, as a laborer on the farm. In 1846 he was married to Mary A., daughter of John W. and Rebecca Jordan, natives of Vermont. Three children have been born to this union, viz.: Hannah R., Amasa J. and Hattie E. In 1855 Mr. Snody moved to Wisconsin, where he followed the carpenter's trade for about eleven years. In 1861 he entered the Union army, enlisting in Company C, Second Wisconsin Cavalry, and served three years, receiving an honorable discharge in1864, when he returned to his family in Wisconsin. In 1865 he was called to Madison, Wis., to act as assistant postmaster of the Senate, and served during that session. In 1866 he immigrated to Missouri, settling in St. Louis, where be engaged in the nursery business with fair success until 1868, and then settled in Crawford County, where he has since been principally engaged in agricultural pursuits. He has served eighteen years as justice of the peace of Crawford County, and is the present incumbent of the office. Mr. and Mrs. Snody are consistent members of the Baptist Church, he being baptized in the headwaters of Lake Champlain. They lend their hearty and cheerful support to all worthy enterprises, and enjoy the respect of all who know them.
Capt. Henry Souders, one of the most prominent citizens of Crawford County, was born in Washington County, Ind.,. June 11, 1832, and is the second of the eleven children born to Christian and Rachel (Tash) Souders. Henry Souders was reared to the pursuit of agriculture, and, though in early life his educational advantages were limited, he is now looked upon as one of the best informed men of his community. In 1839 his parents immigrated to Missouri, and settled in Gasconade County, where the father entered eighty acres of land, and purchased forty more, upon which was erected a small cabin. In 1852 he (Henry) married Sarah A., daughter of Samuel 8. Gibson. Seven children were born to this union, the eldest of whom became the wife of Thomas Taylor, and is now deceased. Those living are Mary E. (wife of J. Chewning), Samuel C., Emily Z. (who married A. H. Hamby), Henry Clay and Sarah A., (twins), and Nancy J. Before his marriage Mr. Souders entered forty acres of land, and purchased as many more, and upon this tract he settled and assiduously applied himself to farming. Industry and good management have added to his first purchase, and he now owns 640 acres of well cultivated land, one of the most desirable homesteads in the county, provided with modern conveniences, a roomy, comfortable residence, and four large barns. Mr. Souders also owns another farm of 160 acres, partly lying in Gasconade County. During the late war be served as captain in Company G, Thirty-fourth Regiment Enrolled State Militia, from Gasconade County. In 1887 Mr. Souders was deprived of his wife by death. She was interred in the Gibson graveyard of Crawford County. He next married, in 1877, Martha A., daughter of Isaac Kinkle, who died without issue January 30, 1887, having been a consistent member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. Capt. Souders is a member of the Masonic fraternity. and has held the office of justice of the peace for sixteen consecutive years. His political principles are those of the Republican Party. His is one of the leading spirits of the county, and his superior judgment and advice are sought by many friends and admirers. He is well informed on the principal topics of the day, and is highly respected by all with whom he comes in contact. Josephus C. Steele, a progressive farmer, of Oak Hill Township, is a native of Ranklin County, Mo., born October 7. 1838, the second of seven children of William and Julina (Bennett) Steele, of Missouri and Kentucky nativity, respectively. The former was born in St. Charles County, November 4, 1808, and died in 1882, after a life spent in farming in this State. He was one of Missouri's truly good men. His widow, still well preserved, is a resident of Sullivan, Franklin County. Josephus, when a boy, became acquainted with farm labor. Not until fourteen years of age did he attend school, and even that first session was of but three months' duration ; but there the fundamental principles were obtained for the excellent knowledge which he to-day possesses, secured through his own efforts. In 1853 he was married to Rebecca A., daughter of John Payne, who survived her marriage only a few months, and in 1858 Mr. Steele found a wife in the person of Miss Catherine E., daughter of Elijah Greenlee. Six children blessed this union, five of whom are living: Burrow·V., Josephus W., Francis E., James M. and Elijah. Elisha is deceased. January 13, 1872, Mrs. Steele died, and on October 13 following Mr. Steele became the husband of Frances E. Gibson, whose father, Rev. W. O. Gibson, is a Baptist minister of renown in Missouri. Three children have been born to them: Jesse D .. Della M. and Henry B. Mr. Steele still resides upon the only farm he has ever owned-the original tract containing eighty acres, entered in 1862. This has been improved and increased to 160 acres, and here be lives, enjoying the respect of many acquaintances. Politically, he is a Democrat. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity.
James I. Summers, postmaster and merchant at Bourbon, is a native of Washington County, Mo. His birth occurred in 1850, and he was the fifth of the eleven children of whom Richard A. and Matilda (Matlock) Summers were the parents, being natives, respectively, of Kentucky and Tennessee. Reared a farmer, James I. received but a meager education in the country schools, and when twenty years of age began doing for himself, serving an apprenticeship and following the blacksmith's trade for about fourteen years. In 1830 he married Martha A., the daughter of J. W. and Mary A. Record, the former originally from Tennessee, and the latter a native of Missouri. Mr. and Mrs. Summers are the parents of five children, viz.: Cora O., Carick E., Cyrus C. and Guy S. (twins), and James I. Jr. After his marriage Mr. Summers followed the blacksmith's trade at various places for some time, and about the year 1879 located in Bourbon, where he worked in the same capacity until 1884, when be purchased the mercantile business of J. R. Hamil, and carries a stock of goods worth about $1,500 or $1,600. In 1885 Mr. Summers was appointed postmaster of Bourbon, which office he has since filled to the satisfaction of all and the credit of himself. In politics a Democrat, he cast his first presidential vote for Hancock. The family is highly esteemed by many friends and acquaintances.
Samuel N. Sumwalt was born in York County, Penn., June 14, 1828, and is the only child of Samuel and Lydia A. (Miller) Sumwalt, natives, respectively, of Baltimore, Md., and York County, Penn. Samuel Sumwalt was a brick-mason by trade, and lived to be eighty-three years of age. He was a member of the Presbyterian Church, while his wife, who was eighty-five years old at the time of her death, was a Dunkard. Samuel N. was reared in his native county, and received a good common-school education. When nineteen years of age he learned the blacksmith's trade with an uncle, at which he worked about ten years. In 1851 he married Caroline Wolffram, a native of Pennsylvania. Three children blessed this union, viz. : Caroline P., Mary W. and Samuel D. In 1858 they moved to Charlotte, Mich., where Mr. Sumwalt dealt in stock, and engaged in butchering. In 1862 he enlisted in Company B, Second Michigan Cavalry, and served until the close of the war, taking part in the battles of Franklin, Nashville and Columbia. After the war he returned to his home in Michigan, and in 1867 removed to Missouri, where for about thirteen years he was employed at the Meramec Iron Works. Mrs. Sumwalt died in 1874, and the following year Mr. Sumwalt married Anna Hamby, who was born in North Carolina August 14, 1854. To this union have been born six children, five of whom are living. viz.: Lulie S., William, L. Gracie. Sue and Lydia A. Mr. Sumwalt located on his present farm in 1880, which consists of 280 acres of the best land on the Meramec River. He votes the Democratic ticket, and in religion affiliates with the Lutheran Church.
Many Bios excerpts are from ‘History of Franklin, Jefferson, Washington, Crawford, & Gasconade Counties, Missouri’, The Goodspeed Publishing Co. 1888
Last up-dated 09/22/2013
Return to the Bios Page.
Return to the Home Page.