Missouri State Genealogy Trails ] Genealogy Trails ] Volunteer Information ]

Crawford County, Missouri
History
Military Matters

Volunteers Dedicated to Free Genealogy!



If you have a short Story from or about Crawford County, Missouri, you can submit it for these pages by sending it to the Crawford County host.
 


In 1861 there was great excitement over the breaking out of the war, and as a natural consequence the lines between those favoring the Union and those favoring the dissolution were sharply drawn. A meeting was held at Cuba by some of those countenancing secession, at which strong sentiments were expressed, and resolutions embodying these sentiments were adopted with but one dissenting voice, and that was the voice of E. A. Pinnell, who, strange to note, was the only one of the sixty present at the meeting to enter the regular service of the Confederate States. E. A. Pinnell was a captain of Company D, First Missouri Brigade, and served in that capacity from first to last throughout the war. The other officers of his company were: first lieutenant, William Smith; second lieutenant, Thomas W. Dolson; third lieutenant, Francis M. Eagan. To this company belonged 5 sergeants, 3 corporals and 149 enlisted men, 28 of whom died in the service, 2 were discharged for disability and 1 from Crawford County. John D. Davis, of Cuba, was killed April 9, 1864, at the battle of Pleasant Hill, La. One other member of the company, James L. Boyd, of Virginia, was killed at Jenkins' Ferry, on Saline River Fork, April 30, 1864. Eight were wounded at Pleasant Hill, and one at Jenkins' Ferry. This company was engaged in the following battles: Prairie Grove, December 7, 1862; Pleasant Hill, April 9, 1864; Jenkins' Ferry, April 30, 1864, and was mustered out of service April 30, 1865, with 3 commissioned officers, 5 sergeants, 4 corporals and 44 enlisted men. Lieut. Kagan resigned December 19 , 1864. The first military organization in Crawford County was Bennight's Home Guards, commanded by J. Wesley Bennight, and having their headquarters at Bennight's Mill, near the southern line of Crawford County. This was early in 1861. They were attacked one night by Tom Freeman's men, who kept up a hideous yelling during the firing. Thomas Howe, of Howe's Mill, was wounded, and, being disabled, lay there and answered the yelling of Freeman's men by hurrahing for Lincoln.

 

An attempt was made to organize a Home Guard Company at Steelville, and many citizens met weekly for drill and muster. Their intention was to stand neutral between the two contending parties, and beat back the North as well as the South if either presumed to venture on the soil of Meramec Township. They, however, had no flag, and how to get over the difficulty they did not know for some time; but finally some mischievous person suggested that a flag be secured with nothing on it but stars and stripes, that would answer every purpose. William Adair thereupon obtained the loan of such a flag belonging to E. G. Evans, and stepped into line. Upon seeing this flag a half dozen members of the company stepped out of the line, declaring that was a Lincoln flag, because it belonged to a Lincoln man. The idea of armed neutrality did not last very long.

 

The first volunteers from Crawford County went into Bowen's battalion in August, 1861, most of the men entering Companies A and B. The commissioned officers of Company A were : Captain, John W. Stephens, commissioned January 15, 1862, to rank from October 9, 1861, and transferred to the Ninth Cavalry ; first lieutenant, Edward Madison, commissioned January 15, 1862, to rank from October 9, 1861, and resigned October 10, 1862; second lieutenant, Pierre F. Bushnell, commissioned January 15, 1862, to rank from October 9, 1861, and transferred to the Ninth Cavalry.

 

Company B of this battalion was commanded by the Rev. Stanfording, a minister of the Methodist Episcopal Church, who traveled the Cuba Circuit until warned by secessionists to desert. He then recruited a company for the Union army, determined to fight if he could not preach, and reported at Rolla, Mo. He is still a member of the St. Louis Conference. He was commissioned January 15, 1862, to rank from August 1, 1861, and resigned June 9, 1862. He was succeeded as captain by Amos P. Curry, commissioned October 7, 1862, and transferred to the Ninth Cavalry; first lieutenant, E. S. Dickinson, commissioned October 7, 1862, and transferred to the Ninth Cavalry; second lieutenant, Amos P. Curry, commissioned October 7, 1862, and promoted to captain.

 

This battalion was merged into the Ninth Cavalry, and subsequently into the Tenth. Company A, of the Tenth Cavalry, contained many Crawford County men, who, with their regiment, marched with Sherman to the sea. The company was distinguished by having charge of cavalry howitzers, and was always in advance of the great army. Lieut. Henry H. Treece, of Cuba, Crawford County, generally commanded the company until promoted captain of Company D.

 

In the fall of 1861 a company was raised in Steelville for Phelps' Regiment Missouri Volunteers, of which John S. Phelps was commissioned lieutenant-colonel November 10, 1861, and promoted to colonel December 31, 1861, and mustered out May 13, 1862. This company (C) was officered as follows: Captain, W. F. Geiger, not commissioned as such but promoted to major, and commissioned December 31, 1861, and mustered out May 13, 1862; Gideon T. Potter was commissioned captain December 31, 1861, and killed at Pea Ridge, March 7, 1862; Abraham J. Seay then became captain, but was not commissioned, and was mustered out April 8, 1862. The first lieutenants were: Gideon T. Potter, not commissioned but promoted to captain; Abraham J. Seay, commissioned December 31, 1861, promoted to captain; Joe Davis, not commissioned, and mustered out April 8, 1862. Second lieutenants—Abraham J. Seay, not commissioned but promoted to first lieutenant; Joe Davis, commissioned December 31, 1861, but promoted to first lieutenant; Joseph R. Collins not commissioned, mustered out April 8, 1862. W. F. Geiger was judge of the circuit court in Southwest Missouri after the war.

 

In September, 1862, a company was mastered into the Union service at Cuba, afterward known as Company F, of the Thirty first Regiment Missouri Volunteers. This regiment was commanded by Col. Thomas C. Fletcher. The officers of Company F were: Captains—Egbert O. Hill, commissioned September 15, 1862, and resigned February 29, 1864; J. Evenden, commissioned March 24, 1864, and mustered cut November 9, 1864. First lieutenants—James McDaniel, commissioned September 15, 1862, and dismissed by Special Order No. 139, of the War Department, March 25, 1863; D. H. Middendorf, commissioned September 17, 1863, and transferred to consolidated- battalion Thirty-first and Thirty-second Infantry Missouri Volunteers. Second lieutenant, William R. Vaughan, commissioned September 15, 1862, and resigned August 21, 1863.

 

In October, 1862, four companies were raised in Crawford County and became part of the Thirty-second Missouri Volunteers. They were Companies C, E, F and I. The commissioned officers of these several companies were:

 

Company C.—Captain, Joe Davis, commissioned December 10, 1862, and dismissed by Special Order No. 139 of the war department, June 21, 1864. First lieutenants: J. A. McArthur, commissioned December 10, 1862, promoted to captain Company I, September 23, 1863; George L. Clouts, commissioned April 6, 1864, mustered out November 9, 1864. Second lieutenants: George L. Fant, commissioned August 1, 1862, and promoted to captain Company K, December 8, 1862, and resigned July 28, 1863; C. S. Stevenson, commissioned December 10, 1862, and resigned August 21, 1863.

 

Company E.—Captains: N. G. Clark, commissioned December 10, 1862, and resigned August 21, 1863; Robert M. Askin, commissioned April 6, 1864, and transferred to consolidated battalion Thirty-first and Thirty-second Regiment Infantry, and mustered out July 18, 1865. First lieutenants: Joseph E. Collins, commissioned December 10, 1862, and resigned January 29, 1864; Beverly A. Davis, commissioned May 3, 1864, and transferred to consolidated battalion Thirty-first and Thirty-second Infantry, promoted captain Company H, June 12, 1865, and mustered out as first lieutenant Company E, July 18, 1865. Second lieutenants: J. O. Butler, commissioned August 1, 1862, promoted to first lieutenant Company B, and died at St. Louis, May 10, 1863; Robert M. Askin, commissioned December 10, 1862, and promoted to captain April 6, 1864.

 

Company F.—Captains: Jesse N. Self, commissioned December 10, 1862, and died March 26, 1863; Andy B. Treece, commissioned April 6, 1864, transferred to consolidated battalion Thirty-first and Thirty- second Infantry, promoted to major, June 12, 1865, and mustered out July 18, 1865; Charles G. Warner, commissioned May 3, 1864, transferred to consolidated battalion and promoted to captain, June 12, 1865, and mustered out July 18, 1865. Second lieutenant, George L. Clouts, commissioned December 10, 1862, promoted to first lieutenant, Company C, April 6, 1864, and mustered out November 9, 1864.

 

Company I.—Captains: Asa A. Lawrence, commissioned December 10, 1862, transferred to Independent Corps, September 22, 1863; J. A. McArthur, commissioned February 1, 1864, and resigned November 16, 1864. First lieutenants: F. Manche, commissioned December 10, 1862, and resigned August 10, 1863; Fred. J. Stebbins, commissioned May 3, 1864, and mustered out November 9, 1864. Second lieutenant, N. W. Wilson, commissioned December 10, 1862, and resigned June 21, 1863.

 

The Thirty-first Regimeut was one of the famous regiments from Missouri in the war. From the time of its organization at St. Louis, October 7, 1862, to its muster out at Washington, D. C, June 13, 1865, it traveled by railroad 1,200 miles, by water 2,500 miles, and it had marched over 3,000 miles; it fought in seven of the rebel States, marched through eleven rebel States, was engaged in twenty-nine battles, skirmishes and sieges, and in all was under fire 166 days.

 

The casualties in the regiment were: Officers killed, 2; men, 20 ; officers died of wounds, 2 ; men, 26 ; officers died of disease, 3; men, 212; men deserted, 140; officers honorably discharged, 19; men, 265; officers discharged for disability, 1; men, 134; officers dismissed, 3; resigned, 25; men missing in battle, 52; men dishonorably discharged, 4; men killed by sunstroke, 1.

 

The Sixty-third Regiment Enrolled Missouri Militia was raised mostly in Crawford County. John E. Davis was its first colonel. He was followed by Col. Isaac S. Warmoth, who was commissioned October 13,' 1863, and vacated March 12, 1865. Lieutenant-colonels: H. F. Fellows, commissioned November 17, 1862, vacated by Special Order No. 126, 1864; J. G. Anderson, commission dated August 29, 1864, declined; J. C. Wheeling, commissioned September 15, 1864, vacated March 12, 1865. Majors: John Ellis, commissioned November 17, 1862, vacated by Special Order No. 126, 1864; W. G. Clark, commissioned November 23, 1864, vacated March 12, 1865. Adjutants: W. H. Davis, commissioned August 20, 1863, resigned September 6, 1864; M. L. Truman, commissioned October 27, 1864, vacated March 12, 1865. Quartermasters: Ezra Tiffany, commissioned November 17, 1862, vacated by special order March 29, 1864; H. W. Eggleston, commissioned March 28, 1864, resigned September 19, 1864; H. F. Fellows, commissioned September 19, 1864, vacated March 12, 1865. Surgeon, John A. J. Lee, commissioned November 14, 1864, vacated March 12, 1865.

 

The commissioned officers of the various companies were as follows :

 

Company A.—Captain, Abraham Johnson; first lieutenant, Robert A. Love; second lieutenant, W. W. Miller—all commissioned November 6, 1862, and commissions vacated March 12, 1865.

 

Company B.—Captain, A. W. Thompson; first lieutenant, W. J. Estis; second lieutenant, T. B. Duncan—all commissioned September 21, 1862, all vacated by Special Order No. 126, 1864.

 

Company C.—Captain, John Thompson; first lieutenant, W. C. Harges; second lieutenant, Jacob McMiller—all commissioned September 21, 1862, all vacated by Special Order No. 126, 1864.

 

Company D.—Captains: James B. Smith, commissioned December 10, 1864, vacated by Special Order No. 126, 1864; Charles P. Gould, commissioned September 23, 1864, vacated March 12, 1865. First lieutenants: O. Wilcox, commissioned December 10, 1862, vacated by Special Order No. 126, 1864; George Trute, commissioned November 4, 1864, vacated March 12, 1865. Second lieutenants: William L. Wheeler, commissioned December 10, 1864, vacated by Special Order No. 126, 1864; Stephen Sweetin, commissioned November 4, 1864, vacated March 12, 1865.

 

Company E.—Captain, H. H. Pierce; first lieutenant, W. H. Hewitt—both commissioned December 10, 1862, and vacated March 12, 1865.

 

Company F.—Captain, J. C. Wheeling, commissioned December 10, 1862, and promoted to lieutenant-colonel September 15, 1864; first lieutenant, Azle Wood, commissioned December 10, 1862, vacated March 12, 1865; second lieutenant, J. B. Kelly, commissioned December 10, 1862, vacated by Special Order No. 126, 1864.

 

Company G.—First lieutenant, J. P. Demott, commissioned October 16, 1862, vacated by Special Order No. 126, 1864; second lieutenant, John G. Meyers, October 16, 1862, and promoted to captain Company L.

 

Company H.—Captain, Peter C. Roberts; first lieutenant, N. B. Daniels; second lieutenant, William Monks, all commissioned October 16, 1862, vacated March 12, 1865.

 

Company I.—Captain, W. H. Ferguson; first lieutenant, E. H. Castor; second lieutenant, G. W. Bullock, all commissioned December 10, 1862, vacated March 12, 1865.

 

Company K.—Captains: C. Hart, commissioned October 23, 1862, vacated by Special Order No. 126, 1864; J. A. Lofton, commissioned December 23, 1864, vacated March 12, 1865. First lieutenants: E. Strutton, commissioned October 23, 1862, vacated by Special Order No. 126, 1864; W. M. Walls, commissioned December 23, 1864, vacated March 12, 1865; Second lieutenants: J. Allen, commissioned October 23, 1862, vacated by Special Order No. 126, 1864; William H. Cypert, commissioned November 12, 1864, vacated March 12, 1865.

 

Company L.—Captain, John G. Meyers; first lieutenant, Arcephus Higgins; second lieutenant, Charles M, Hamill, commissioned June 7, 1864, vacated March 12, 1865.

 

Company A of this regiment was transferred with its officers as given above to the Eighty-ninth Regiment, as Company A of that regiment, by Special Order No. 31, 1864. The Sixty-third Regiment did considerable service, being called out occasionally for guard duty, though, as there were other military organizations performing similar duties in the county, their labors were not so arduous as they otherwise would have been.

 

In May, 1865, Capt. N. G. Clark's Crawford County company, numbering eighty-nine men, was called into existence by General Order No. 3.

 

There was also Capt. W. H. Ferguson's company of provisional militia, which was officered by himself and Lieuts. Joseph R. Collins and Henry H. Pierce.

History Excerpts from ‘History of Franklin, Jefferson, Washington, Crawford, & Gasconade Counties, Missouri’, The Goodspeed Publishing Co. 1888

 

 

Last up-dated 09/22/2013

Return to the Home Page.