Crawford County, Missouri
Volunteers Dedicated to Free Genealogy!
Steelville is the county seat of Crawford County. The original town is located on the northwest quarter of the southwest quarter of Section 34, Township 38, Range 4 west. The first settler on the town site was William Britton, who came to this spot in 1833, and built a little log house, 14x16 feet in size, and a little gristmill on what is now known as the Yadkin Creek, which flows through the town, at a spring about forty yards from the original town site. The mill was in a little log building, and where it stood a small piece of the dam is yet to be seen. To this mill people came with their grists for a distance of fifteen miles, and it served them for a period of about ten years, when Mr. Britton moved westward about six miles and put up a larger mill on the Meramec River, which he ran until some time during the war, when he died, and the mill property passed into the hands of a Mr. McAtie, and has since been known as the McAtie Mill.
James Steel was, it is believed, the next settler to come to this place. He built a small store ou what is now Main Street, about 1835, having purchased forty acres of land of the Government and sold it to the county court of Crawford County, December 16, 1835, for $50. By this time a little settlement had sprung up, and the county court named the town Steelville in honor of James Steel. The deed was recorded on the 18th of December, 1835. The town was platted and lots sold soon afterward. The first deed to lots in Steelville was given to Lewis Pinnell, August 7, 1837, Lots 3 and 4, Block 3. Mr. Pinnell had paid $12 for the lots, May 11, 1837. Elias Matlock bought two lots, 1 and 2, in Block 11, paying therefor $20, and received his deed for them on August 7, 1837. Among those coming early into Steelville were Peter Whittenburg, Simeon Frost and James Davis. Mr. Whittenburg opened the second store in the place (Mr. Steel's being the first), in the Steel building, in 1842, about the time Mr. Steel left the town, and ran it until about 1846, when he sold out. He died of consumption in 1853. James Davis kept the first hotel in the town, erecting a brick building and a log building adjoining; the brick portion is still standing as a part of the present Steelville Hotel. Mr. Davis kept this hotel four or five years, when he sold it to Thomas Fisher. Mr. Fisher sold out to Halliburton & Wilson in 1848, and they to E. C. Dunlap, in 1851. Simeon Frost, mentioned above, served the county as one of its early representatives in the Legislature. The third storekeeper in the town was Christopher Smith, who commenced independently about 1845, before Mr. Whittenburg retired from business, and was the principal merchant of the town up to the war. James N. Johnson came to Steelville in 1838, and has resided here ever since. He was the first saddler and harness-maker in the town, and while engaged in conducting this business he was also carrying on a farm. He was continually in the harness-making business until 1877. The first blacksmith was A. W. Johnson, who commenced in 1847, and carried on the trade here until 1853. The first carpenters were John E. and James Davis. The next was L. S. Thompson, and these three did all the building in the town up to 1855. The first frame house built was that now occupied by Andrew Jackson as the post office. The second was built by John E. Davis, for Azaro Emery, who moved into this place from Ohio, about 1846. The first tailor, a Mr. Vanburg, came here about 1844. He was killed at a large Democratic barbecue, during the presidential campaign of 1848, by the explosion of an anvil. Thomas Smith was the first shoemaker. The first wagon shop was started in 1849, by B. H. Johnson. It was at the upper end of the town, where W. C. Devol now lives. Mr. Johnson carried on the trade about two and a half years, when he went to Dent County, was elected sheriff, and soon afterward died. Drugs were sold in the general stores until 1858, when Alexander Gibson opened the first regular drug store in the town. He is the father of Thomas R. Gibson, cashier of the Steelville Bank. One of the first regular physicians was R. G. Dunlap, who came to Steelville in 1841 ; another was Dr. Mansfield. The latter died about 1847, and the former practiced until 1851. The first preachers were those who, it may be said, accidentally and only occasionally visited this part of the country. Parson E. R. Fort was a Baptist missionary. Rev. James Halbert was here in 1839 and 1840, from St. Francois County. Among the early Cumberland Presbyterians were Rev. Frank Braley, Rev. James B. Braley (still residing in Steelville), Rev. John Braley, Rev. Jacob Clark (of Sullivan), and Rev. Isaac Eaton (who lived eight miles east of Steelville). The first school of any note was taught by a Mr. Bryant, from "Washington. It was a subscription school, kept in a small house standing near the east end of Main Street. Mr. Bryant is now considered to have been a good teacher. About thirty-five scholars attended his school, which he kept about eighteen months, and for tuition charged each pupil $1.25 per month. The first person buried in the Steelville Cemetery was Mrs. Simeon Frost. The first church building was erected in 1850, by the Cumberland Presbyterians. It stood where the present brick public school building stands, and was, in fact, more of a seminary building than a church, though religious services were held therein on Sundays. It was used for both seminary and church until about 1871, when the Cumberland Presbyterians retired to a rented hall.
The town was laid out, as stated above, in 1835, the plat consisting of thirty-six blocks, each full block having four lots; Main Street runs east and west, with a variation of about 33° toward the southwest, Seminary Street running at right angles with Main Street. S. B. Brickey's addition to the town was made in November, 1871. It extends from Seminary Street eastward to Sycamore Street, and lies mainly north of the railroad. It was made by Silas B. Brickey and Jemima Brickey, his wife.
The first incorporation of Steelville occurred May 4, 1859, when the following proceedings were had in the county court.
Now at this day comes Silas B. Brickey, and presents to the court a petition with the names of a majority of the inhabitants of the town of Steelville in Crawford County, Mo., praying the county court to incorporate the town of Steelville. It is therefore ordered by the court that the town of Steelville, in Crawford County, Mo., be and the same is hereby incorporated, according to the bounds of said town, as it is shown upon the plat of said town on file in the office of the county clerk.
Thereupon the court proceeded to appoint R. P. Jamison, Silas B. Brickey, William G. Pomeroy, John Halbert and William M. Robinson, a board of trustees for said town for one year from date.
If these officers served the town as trustees, it was only for a very short time, and the town was thenceforward, as before, without an organized government until 1873, in the August term of which year the county court again incorporated the town. Following is the entry on the record of the county court:
Incorporation of Steelville.—At the adjourned August term, 1873, the county court in the matter of the incorporation of the town of Steelville. Now at this day, R. W. Dunlap presents a petition to the court, praying for an order incorporating the town of Steelville, and that the metes and bounds of said town be as follows: Beginning at the southeast corner of the northwest quarter of Section 34, Township 38, Range 4 west, of the fifth principal meridian; thence north to the northeast corner of said tract of land; thence east to the southeast corner of the southeast quarter of the northwest quarter of Section 34, Township 38, Range 4 west; thence north to the north side of High Street, in S. B. Brickey's addition to the town of Steelville; thence southwest with the north side of said High Street to the west side of Seminary Street; thence southeast on the west side of Seminary Street to where it intersects the northern boundary of the northwest quarter of the southwest quarter of Section 34, Township 38, Range 4 west; thence south 2UO west, to where it intersects the south boundary of the northeast quarter of the southeast quarter of Section 34, Township 38, Range 4 west; thence east to the place of beginning; and that they may be incorporated, and a police established for their local government, and for the preservation and regulation of any commons appertaining to the town, and
Whereas, said petition coming on to be heard, and the matter and things being fully understood by the court, and satisfactory evidence being produced to the court that two-thirds of the taxable inhabitants of said town have subscribed their names to the same, it is considered and ordered by the court that the said town of Steelville be and the same is hereby declared incorporated by the name and style of the inhabitants of the town of Steelville, and by that name they and their successors shall be known in law, have perpetual succession (unless dis-incorporated), sue and be sued, plead and be impleaded, defend and be defended, in all contracts and in all actions, pleas and matters whatsoever; and further that the limits of said town shall extend as above described; and for a local government of said incorporation the court doth appoint the following persons trustees to wit: William M. Robinson, R. W. Dunlap, William Adair, Joseph M. Seay and Lemuel Self.
This order was certified to September 14, 1873, by George W. Sanders, clerk of the court.
These trustees served for a year or thereabouts, and the inhabitants permitted the election of trustees to go by default, with occasionally a partial revival of the incorporation, until 1879, when the following trustees were elected: W. C. Evans, Thomas Everson, Hermon Ferguson, Thomas R. Gibson, and J. C. Whitmire. In 1880 the following were the trustees: G. D. Clark, chairman; W. C. Evans, clerk; Thomas Everson, Hermon Ferguson and W. T. Key. In 1881, G. D. Clark, chairman; W. Haley, clerk ; E. A. Bass, Z. T. Ives and AY. T. Key. Later in the year, J. R. Pumphrey took the place of Z. T. Ives, and became chairman on the resignation of G. D. Clark. On January 9, 1882, saloon licenses were fixed at $100 per annum. In April, 1882, the trustees elected were Thomas R. Gibson, chairman; J. C. Whitmire, clerk; W. T. Key, treasurer; J. J. Upchurch and Wilson Haley; John F. Ambeck was elected marshal and assessor. In 1883, trustees, B. F. Russell, chairman; G. W. Sanders, clerk; J. C. Whitmire, treasurer; Thomas Baas, Sr., street commissioner, and Wilson Haley, F. W. Summers, marshals. In 1884, trustees, Thomas Bass, Sr., chairman; J. C. Whitmire, clerk; Wilson Haley, treasurer; R. H. Houston, street commissioner, and J. N. Johnson, C. H. Hibler, marshals; In 1885, the usual officers were elected and served a short time, when, a desire developing for a different form of government, an ordinance was passed by the board of trustees, April 13, 1885, as follows:
Whereas, by an act of the Legislature of the State of Missouri, providing that any city, town or village may become a city of a higher class if the citizens thereof desire, and if they believe from the last census, State or National, there has been a sufficient increase in population, may, by ordinance, cause to be taken a census thereof: therefore
Be it Ordained by the Board of Trustees of the Town of Steelville, That the board of trustees of the town of Steelville do appoint Z. T. Ives to take the census in accordance with said act, and to return a list of the names of the inhabitants to the board of trustees on the 20th day of April, 1885.
On the 20th of April, 1885, it was ordained by the board of trustees that
Whereas, Z. T. Ives, census taker, has this day returned to the board of trustees a list of the inhabitants in accordance with Chapter I, Section 1, of an ordinance adopted by the board April 13, 1885, and the board being satisfied from the return of said census that there are over 500 inhabitants; therefore, under and by authority of the provisions Of Article I, Chapter LXXXIV, of the Revised Statutes of Missouri, it is ordered by the board of trustees that the town be incorporated as a city of the fourth class, provided, that at an election to be held May 19, 1885, this ordinance be sustained.
J. J. Upchurch, J. K. Pumphrey and William M. Eobinson were appointed judges of election, and the town was by the same ordinance divided into two wards, the First Ward consisting all of that part of the town west of Seminary Street, and the Second Ward all that portion east of Seminary Street. At the election held on May 19, 1885, the vote on changing the town of Steelville to a city of the fourth class showed a majority in favor of it. A proclamation was issued immediately by John E. Eoberts, chairman of the board of trustees, to the effect that the ordinance changing the town of Steelville to a city of the fourth class was ratified by a majority of the voters of the town on the 20th of May, 1885, and on the same day, as justice of the peace, called a special election for the election of a mayor, marshal and four aldermen, two from each ward, and appointed Andrew Jackson, E.W.Dunlapand G.W.Paul, judges of election in the First Ward, and in the Second Ward, William M. Robinson, J. R. Pumphrey and William Adair. This election was held June 2, 1885. William M. Robinson was chosen mayor, and from the First Ward Thomas E. Gibson and E. W. Dunlap were chosen aldermen, and from the Second Ward, Hermon Ferguson and Charles Everson, and upon organization Mr. Ferguson was elected president of the board of aldermen. William Turner was elected marshal, E. W. Dunlap was chosen clerk, G. W. Matlock, treasurer, and C. H. Hibler, street commissioner. April 6, 1886, an election for city officers resulted as follows: For mayor, J. K. Pumphrey, 39 votes; J. J. Upchurch, 26; all others 15; total vote for mayor 80. Aldermen elected were: For the First Ward, Wilson Haley and J. C. Whitmire; Second Ward, Charles Everson and W. H. Davis; treasurer, W. H. Davis; marshal, W. A. Page ; Charles Everson was elected president of the board, and J. C. Whitmire, clerk. April 19, 1886, Mayor Pumphrey asked the board to pass an ordinance allowing him $10 per month salary, and as the board refused to pass such ordinance, tendered his resignation, which was unanimously accepted. An election to fill the vacancy thus caused was ordered for May 4, 1886, and this election resulted in John Roberts being chosen. A. D. Day resigned as street commissioner, January 3, 1867, and Thomas Bass, Sr., was appointed.
On March 27, 1886, an ordinance was introduced enlarging the boundaries of the city of Steelville, as follows:
Section 1. That the limits of the city of Steelville are hereby changed so as to include all the territory known and described as follows: The east half of the northeast quarter and the east half of the southeast quarter of Section 33, and the west half of Section 34, Township 38, Range 4 west, not heretofore included within the city limits. An election on the adoption of this ordinance was held April 8, 1886, which resulted in there being cast for the extension, 63 votes; against it, 6; total, 69 votes.
Lebanon Lodge, No. 77, A. F. & A. M., was chartered October 14, 1846, (A. L. 5846,) with the following charter members: John Orchard, W. M. ; W. A. Anderson, S. W. ; H. E. Edgar, J. W.; and several others whose names could not be ascertained. The present officers are J. M. Sanders, W. M. ; Thomas E. Gibson, S. Y. ; J. M. Hamil, J. W. ; J. B. Smith, S. D. ; A. C. Coppedge, J. D. ; J. C. Whitmire, Sec. ; G. W. Matlock, Treas. ; C. H. Hibler, Tyler ; John M. Eaton, S. S. ; Samuel Darst, J. S. The present membership of the lodge is fifty-one. Meetings occur on the Saturday on or before the full moon each month. They own a large two-story hall, in the upper story of which they have a very neat and nicely furnished lodge-room. The lower story has been frequently used by the several Christian denominations for religious worship.
Founder's Lodge, No. 224, A. O. U. W., named after J. J. Upchurch, the founder of the order, was organized Saturday, July 30, 1880, with fourteen members and the following officers: W. C. Evans, P. M. W. ; John A. Headrick, M. W. ; Fred Grucher, F. ; I. P. Brickey, O. ; O. Everson, Recorder; J. H. Boggs, G.; D. J. Puckett, Receiver; G. B. Holmes, I. W. ; Thomas W. Holmes, O. W., and Dr. J. T. Coffee, Med. Ex. The present officers are: Henry Hibler, P. M. W. ; J. C. Jadwin, M. W. ; AV. A. Upchurch, F. ; Charles Bunyard, O. ; John A. Headrick, Recorder; Thomas R. Gibson, Treas, ; Charles Everson, Fin. ; J. C. Upchurch, G.; Patrick Slack, I. W. ; Andrew Pabst, O. W. ; trustees—B. F. Russell, Henry Hibler and Rev. P. D. Cooper. The lodge meets each second and fourth Saturday evening in the month, in Johnson's building, over Dr. Gibson's drug store; the membership now is about sixty, and the financial condition good.
In connection with the sketch of the above lodge of the A. O. U. W., it is deemed appropriate to introduce a brief account of the origin of the order itself in the United States, inasmuch as the founder of it, Mr. J. J. Upchurch, for some years before his death, resided in Steelville.
In June, 1864, while Mr. Upchurch was at work on the Mine Hill & Schuylkill Haven Railroad, the train hands demanded an increase of 50 cents per day in their wages. Mr. Upchurch advised the president of the road of their demand, and was directed by him to give them an advance of 40 cents per day. This proposition was received with great derision. Their union had directed them to demand 50 cents advance and to accept nothing less, and, unless the 50 cents advance was given them, they were to go out on a strike. Mr. Upchurch at once saw the great injustice done the train men by the society to which they belonged, which thus assumed to direct them in a matter of vital importance, while the union knew but little, if anything, about the difficulty between the railroad company and its employees. However, the men went on the strike, as they were ordered to do, and were out two weeks, when the Secretary of War sent a corps of engineers and firemen and placed them in Mr. Upchurch's charge, and with this force he operated the road two weeks, in the interest of the Government of the United States. At the end of this time the men, having lost a month's time, were ready to return to work at the advance of 40 cents per day. The questions that arose in the mind of Mr. Upchurch was, " What right has a body of men, styling themselves a union, to dictate to others what wages they shall receive?" " Whence their power to control the will of workmen?" It appeared plain that great injustice was done, not only to the laboring men, but also to their employers, and he was convinced that the societies, in the way in which they were being managed, were exercising a baneful influence on the business interests of the country. He, therefore, determined to institute an order which, if possible, should unite employer and employee, in an organization obligating them to the same great principle, " The greatest good to the greatest number."
In 1865 Mr. Upchurch mentioned the trouble then agitating the country between capital and labor to Capt. Francis J. Keffer, and disclosed to him his plan of uniting them both into one great organization. Capt. Keffer was so fully and favorably impressed with the value of the plan that, at the first opportunity, he became a Grand Master Workman. In June, 1868, at Meadville, Penn., Mr. Upchurch joined the " League of Friendship Supreme Mechanical Order of the Sun," and soon discovered that the order was working in the dark, being unable to obtain any information from the " Grand Council," without taking the degree called the " Knight of the Iron Ring" and the payment of an extra $5, and he came to the conclusion that the entire order was of no practical benefit, that it was in fact organized for the purposes of fraud. Other members agreed with him, and hence the way was easily opened to explain to the dissatisfied ones his new idea to benefit the workingman. At a meeting of the League held September 29, 1868, the following resolutions were adopted:
Resolved, That a committee of seven be appointed to revise and remodel the work of the order, together with the constitution and by-laws; and that the committee correspond with the Grand Council, asking for their approval.
Resolved, That, if the Grand Council will not approve of our revised work, we will return to them our charter, moneys, etc., and at once proceed to the organization of a new order.
Resolved, That the Honorable Master, J. J. Upchurch, be the chairman of said committee.
The following members were then appointed as the committee of revision: J. J. Upchurch, chairman; J. R. Umberger, W. W. Walker, M. H. McNair, H. C. Deron, A. Klock and J. R. Hulse.
This committee on the evening of October 11, 1868, expressed their willingness to leave the work in the hands of the chairman. October 17, 1868, the constitution and the first degree were ready, the charter, etc., of the League was removed, the constitution was read and adopted by acclamation, and the obligation of the first degree was administered by Mr. Upchurch, to thirteen persons besides himself, viz. : J. J. Upchurch, A. Oaster, P. Linen, T. F. Upchurch, W. C. Newberry, W. S. White, J. R. Hulse, M. H. McNair, H. C. Deron, J. R. Umberger, S. Rositer, P. Lawson, A. B. Ogden and J. R. Tracy, and thus was the Ancient Order of United Workmen organized. The first officers elected were J. J. Upchurch, M. W. ; J. R. Umberger, C. P. ; J. A. Tracy, overseer; M. H. McNair, secretary ; J. R. Hulse, treasurer ; Henry Deross, guide ; A. P. Ogden, chaplain ; W. S. White, O. W. ; S. Rositer, I. W. ; W. C. Newberry, T. P. Upchurch and P. Linen, trustees.
Business in Steelville is now being conducted by the following individuals and firms: Dry goods, groceries and ready-made clothing, Scott, Bass & Co., Matlock & Haley, Davis & Hamble, James Key and R. H. Houston; drug stores, W. A. Martin, Eugene Trask and A. Gibson & Sons; harness-maker, R. H. Baucom; shoemaker, Andrew Pabst; blacksmiths and wagon-makers, Swack and J. P. Webb ; blacksmith, Brandle ; barber, John Starks ; carpenters, Upchurch Bros. ; The Steelville Hotel, kept by William D. Bass ; postmaster, Andrew Jackson ; physicians and surgeons. Dr. J. T. Coffee and Drs. Gibson and Metcalf, all allopathists ; lawyers, G. D. Clark, E. A. Pinnell and B. F. Russell; abstractors, Pinnell & Ramsey; livery stable, Bass & Bros.; meat market, Pinson & Myers; marble works. Cook & Hopkins ; insurance and real estate agents, Ferguson & Russell; jeweler, William Halliburton; lumber yard, J. M. Sawyer; agricultural implements, Upchurch Bros. The town has a Cumberland Presbyterian, a Methodist and a Baptist Church, a Masonic Lodge, an Odd Fellows Lodge, and a lodge of United Workmen.
The Evans' Flouring Mill is located one and a half miles southeast of Steelville. It was erected in 1883-84, and was a two-story frame building, 22x38 feet in size, and contained two runs of bulirs. The machinery was propelled by water power, and had a capacity of about thirty barrels of flour per day, The mill race was dug part of the way through solid rock, from a spring large enough to supply water for a twenty-horse-power water wheel. W. C. Evans and W. E. Evans, brothers, were the proprietors. September 23, 188G, this mill was burned down, causing a loss to Evans Bros, of about $0,000, there being no insurance on the property. W. E. Evans then retired from the firm, and W. C. Evans soon commenced to rebuild. The new building is the same size as the former one, but is three stories high instead of two, alcove a basement. It is a frame building, and is supplied with four and a half sets of double rollers, having a capacity of about twenty-five barrels of flour per day. A turbine water wheel propels the machinery.
Steelville Mill was built in 1879, by E. Hiller, being a three story and basement building. Its walls are constructed on the elevator plan. It was simply a buhr mill until 1880, when Jacob R. Hiller, son of the founder put in two double sets of rollers. The capacity of the mill now is about twenty barrels of flour per day, and is propelled by water power. The cost of the present mill was about 810,000.
The Steelville Bank commenced business in October, 1884, and was incorporated about the same time. There were originally twelve stockholders —W. H. Lee (of St. Louis), J. T. Coffee, W. C. Devol, L. H. Scott, Thomas Everson, J. D. Taylor, E. A. Bass, M. D. Jamison, G. W. Matlock, G. W. Sanders, W. H. Ferguson and Thomas B. Gibson. The directors were W. H. Lee, J. T. Coffee, W. C. Devol, W. H. Ferguson and G. W. Matlock, and the first officers were G. W. Matlock, president; J. T. Coffee, vice-president, and Thomas R. Gibson, cashier. The officers are still the same. The original capital stock was $10,000, which remains unchanged, but the surplus is now $5,300. A two-story brick building, 30x24, was erected at a cost of $1,900. A general banking business is carried on; deposits are received to any amount, upon which 5 per cent annual interest is paid semiannually. The bank has now about $10,000 on deposit.
The Crawford Mirror was established May 4, 1872, by Thomas H. Roberts, and was printed in a little log cabin four miles distant from Steelville, for two years. It was then removed to Cuba, and publicized there by Mr. Roberts, the mechanical work being done from the first by his two daughters, who also contributed largely to its columns. One of these daughters became Mrs. Dr. P. Watson, of Kirkwood, and the other Mrs. D. L. Grace. In March, 1870, the Mirror was purchased by B. F. Russell, who moved it to Steelville, where he commenced the publication of a Republican paper. After some months a mortgage which was held on the office by several prominent Republicans of Steelville, was purchased by John H. Wheeling in behalf of the Democratic party of the county, and Mr. Russell, not being able to redeem the mortgage, was compelled in order to sustain the interest he had in the paper to publish an independent paper. Mr. Wheeling retired about 1878, but the Mirror has ever since continued to be independent. The circulation of the Mirror now is about 1,400, and it is a six -column quarto, half ready print.
Since the Mirror was established there have been a number of other papers established in the county, all of which have suspended publication. The Crawford County Express was started in 1872 by Marcy & Scott, and was sold to John Ellis in 1874, and its publication continued until 1876. The Shield and Temperance Advocate was published at Cuba in 187G and 1877. Next came the Crawford Sentinel, by Stewart Bros., one year (1879-80), purchased by Watson & Ives, published by them a few months, and sold to Roberts & Watson.
About April, 1884, the Maries County Democrat was moved from Vichy Springs to Cuba, and there called the Cuba Democrat. Its proprietor ran it about a year, and left the place. Millard Goodwin took possession of the office, changed the name of the paper to the Cuba Champion, and ran it nearly a year, when John E. Roberts took charge and run it through the campaign. The Sentinel was then run as the Crawford Sentinel, and as such published at Steelville until April, 1886, when it was leased to G. D. Clark as the Crawford Sentinel until August, when the publication was suspended, and the material of the office sold to Ferguson & Martin. The material of the Champion was bought by Oliver F. Utt, who ran it as a Republican paper about a year, when it was leased to John E. Roberts, who ran it about three months, when he turned it over to Oliver F. Utt, who moved it to Potosi.
Cuba was laid out and surveyed in December, 1857, by M. W. Trask and W. H. Ferguson. The plat contained thirty-two blocks, and each block four lots, except those on each side of Main Street, each of which contained six lots, four of the six fronting on Main Street, on which the railroad survey had been completed a short time previously, and which was 200 feet wide, and 100 feet each way from the center of the railroad. North of Main Street and parallel therewith were Washington and Spencer Streets ; south of Main Street and parallel therewith were Monroe and Myrtle. The streets perpendicular to the above and south of Main Street were Phelps, Tyce, Evans, Pond, Meramec, Prairie, Liberty, Canal and Fleming; north of Main and perpendicular thereto were Green, Hickory, Smith, Buchanan, Fillmore, Wall, Maiden Lane, Franklin Avenue and Park Place.
The survey of the town, according to the description on the plat, "commenced at a stone at the southeast corner of the northeast quarter of the northwest quarter of Section 31, Township 39, Range 4 west, and proceeded north twenty-four and three fourths degrees, west twenty-one and a half chains to the northeast corner of Block No. 17, in Cuba; thence southwestward with a street parallel with the railroad, then to the cross street south, nineteen degrees east." It will be observed that this is only a partial description. Each block was 160x262 feet, and each lot 80x130 feet, except those fronting on Main Street, which were 30x130 feet.
At the time the town was surveyed there was no house within one-half mile, the nearest one being George M. Jamison's, at which he kept a post office, named Amanda, after his wife. His house was west of the town site. William Simpson lived three fourths of a mile north, John Fleming three-fourths of a mile northeast. This locality had been known for twenty years as Simpson's Prairie, named after James B. Simpson, father of William Simpson. In 1860 the following persons built houses on the town site of Cuba: George M. Jamison, Wesley Smith, Tyce Smith and Isaac B. Tyler. Wesley Smith and George M. Jamison— Monroe Jamison, as he was generally known—each had a general store, the latter moving his post office, Amanda, to the new town, and had its name changed to Cuba. Barnabas Smith owned that portion of the prairie south of the town, and had fine improvements. He was a thorough-going Yankee, a farmer, and a dealer in stock and produce. As the town grew and other stores were needed they were established by other persons, one of them being a drug store by John Kesler. Jerome Calkins bored artesian wells, usually going down through the solid rock underlying a part of Cuba about sixty feet, and getting plenty of water. In the southeast part of the town, however, water was obtained by digging wells about eighteen feet deep. A hotel was kept by one of the Tylers up to the beginning of the war. In 1862 E. G. Evans took charge of it and the post office at the same time, keeping the former about a year, and then moved the post office to his own house in Block 9, and kept it there for several years. At the first sale of lots in Cuba the east half only of the blocks along the railroad were sold, the other half being held for advance in prices. The first physicians in Cuba were Dr. A. B. Moore, who came in 1860, and Dr. T. P. Martyn, who came in 1863. The town at the beginning of the war had some seventy-five inhabitants, and during the war it about held its own, but did not grow. The depot and Stephen Sweetin's house were the only buildings burned down by the rebels during the war, and these in 1864. From the year 1870 the town grew in size, and improved in the character of its buildings, until at the present time it has about 600 inhabitants, and is surrounded by a country that will support it without its being the county seat.
Cuba has twice severely suffered by the fire fiend. October 31, 1878, a fire originated in Kessler's drug store, in Block 10, crossed over to Block 11, and consumed the principal hotel of the place, the American House, Fred Gerkin's shoe shop, Newman & Jones' general store, a large brick building, all the buildings on the east side of Smith Street and north of Main. The estimated loss was $35,000, on which there was insurance of about half that amount.
A second fire visited the place January 7, 1886, likewise entailing heavy loss. It started in Smith's saloon, and consumed, in Block 10, Blair's saddlery shop, the telephone office, Newman & Jones' general store, thence across Washington Street, north, into Block 7, where it destroyed the Parks House. The loss at this time was $20,000, on which there was an insurance of $10,000.
Following is a list of the business and professional men of Cuba: General stores, Newman & Jones, J. M. Wallace, Clark & Co., M. J. Dooley, C. Ettinger and J. H. Wheeling & Son; groceries, N. M. T. Page, R. Benton, J. W. Stewart, E. Moore; drug stores, E. D. Lowe, Hardesty & Hampton ; hardware, stoves and tin ware. Hollow, Dressier & Co. ; agricultural implements, A. M. Munrow, Taylor & Bass; livery stables, Taylor & Bass, Michael Dooley; planning mill, Hollow & Salzer; flouring-mill, Denton & Hitch; marble works, J. T. Vaughn; blacksmiths. Fort Bros., L. H. Lewis and J. T. Kincaid; art gallery, W. C. Perkins ; news stand and book store, E. G. Evans ; hotels, R. F. McCormick, David Parks and J. C. Maclay; saddle and harness shop, I. J. Blair; meat market, George Snyder; shoemakers, Andrew J. Rost, S. J. Jerman; carpenters. Hollow & Salzer, J. M. Kinsey and A. A. Kimball; ice dealers, Rost & Smith; millinery and dressmaking, Mrs. T. J. Mitchell ; grain dealers, Clark & Co., J. M. Wallace and Newman & Jones; real estate agent, E. G. Evans ; physicians, Drs. T. P. Martyn, N. H. Hardesty and W. M. Dunn ; attorneys at law, F. M. Jamison and A. U. Farrow.
The Enterprise Planning Mill was built in 1884, by James E. Hollow and John Saltzer. It was a frame building, 20x40 feet in size, and two stories high, and contained a planer, circular saw, edger, cut-off saw, mortising machine, etc., propelled by a steam engine of eight-horse-power. The capacity of the planer was about 5,000 feet of lumber per day. In 1888 a two-story brick building was erected, 40x60 feet, with a wing 20x30, and a new planer and shaper and other machinery, and a twenty-five horse-power engine put in. The capacity was doubled. The building cost about $2,000, the machinery $500, and the new engine $1,000.
A building was erected in 1876, on the bank of the pond north of the town, which was subsequently used as a planing-mill until 1879. In this year it was moved to the present location of these mills, and the old system of flouring machinery put in by Lafayette McCall—three runs of buhrs, propelled by a thirty-horse-power engine. In 1883 Mr. McCall sold out to McCall & Maxwell, who continued the use of the old system until 1885, when they put in the new system, or roller process— four single sets of rolls. This firm sold out to J. L. Denton in December, 1886, and six months afterward Mr. Denton received into partnership C. E. Hitch. This mill has a capacity of sixty barrels of flour per day. The flour manufactured here is of three grades or brands, the " Maxwell Patent," the " Belle of Cuba" and " XXX." The millers have been William Hogue, T. J. Mitchell and Henry T. Burley. The building is 30x60 feet, the engine room 18x34, and the value of the property is about 88,000.
Cuba, though a small country town, has quite a reputation as a shipping point. In November, 1887, 30 car loads, or about 17,500 bushels, of wheat were shipped from this station, 45 tons of iron ore, 8 carloads of live stock, and about 200,000 pounds of other produce. The railroad agents have been a Mr. Self, during the war; W. C. Evans ; G. W. Snow, commencing in 1873; C. D. Kelley, January 1, 1874, and C. K. Hitch since June, 1874.
The Cuba Hotel was built by Franklin Askins in 1870, who ran it about three years, when he rented it to K. M. Strother, who ran it about a year. I. P. Brickey was then proprietor about four years. R. F. McCormack, formerly of East St. Louis, purchased the property in 1884, and in October, 1887, himself took charge of it. He is still the proprietor. The building is a two-story frame, and contains twenty rooms.
The postmasters of Cuba have been G. M. Jamison, Ellis G. Evans, J. N. Amsden (acting postmaster two years), William Jestin, Mrs. Emily M. Evans, and A. U. Farrow, present incumbent.
Cuba Lodge, No. 270, I. O. O. F., was chartered July 2, 1872, with twenty-three members. The charter officers were E. M. Strother, N. G. ; B. F. Chuson, V. G. ; William M. Haley, Sec. and J. J. McFarland, Treas. The present officers are J. D. Taylor, N. G. ; John Salzer, V. G. ; John A. Cairns, Sec. ; James G. Hollow, P. S. ; B. H. Newman, Treas. The lodge has twelve Past Grand Masters, a membership of forty-one, and is in good financial shape, having $1,100 in the treasury.
Star of the West Lodge, No. 282, A. O. U. W., was chartered August 2, 1883, with James L. Denton, P. M. W. ; James D. Watkins, M. W. ; John C. Maclay, F. ; Lewis L. Givesay, O. ; Isaac J. Blair, Kec. ; Frank McCall, Financier; Ed. C. Kappahan, Rec.; Charles Fort, Guide ; George W. Foster, I. W. and Robert Moore, O. W. The present officers are Ed. C. Kappahan, P. M. W. ; J. L. Denton, M. W. ; John Salzer, F. ; J. C. Maclay, O. ; F. E. Hardesty, Rec. ; Charles Orchard, Financier; John O'Neal, Kec. ; William Cain, Guide; W. P. Thompson, I. W. ; I. J. Blair, O. W. The present membership is fifty-four. The lodge is in good working order, and the cost of insurance is a trifle over 1 per cent.
Cuba Post, No. 263, G. A. K., was organized in January, 1885, with seventeen members. F. L. Withaup was chosen Commander; Charles Pancost, S. V. C. ; J. K. Meyers, J. V. C. ; L. D. Grover, Q. M. ; J. L. Denton, O. D. ; G. W. Gaudy, Chap. ; Dr. W. M. Dunn, Adjt. ; the other members being Philip Kraher, Thomas Hickman, J. S. Jones, W. L. Craig, Samuel Snoddy, B. F. Russell, W. H. Arthur, John D. Butt and Joseph A. Young. The present officers are Dr. W. M. Dunn, Com. ; Charles Pancost, S. V. C. ; J. K. Meyers, J. V. C. ; K. Benton, Q. M. ; L. D. Grover, O. D. ; Philip Kraher, Chap. ; William Martin, O. G. ; J. L. Denton, Adjt. The present membership is forty, and the post meets semi-monthly.
Cuba Lodge, No. 312, A. F. & A. M., was instituted June 29, 1887, with twenty-four members and officers as follows: Henry Fort, W. M. ; John Lawrence, S. W. ; Joseph N. Taylor, J. W.; Newton Jones, Treas. ; A. U. Farrow, Sec. ; Thomas H. Glosser, S. D. ; J. H. Carr, J. D. ; Joseph Scott, Tyler; William Brewer, S. S. ; A. B. Hamilton, J. S. The charter was obtained October 13, 1887, the membership having becorae twenty-eight. The election resulted in the following changes in office: Joseph N. Taylor, S. W. ; J. G. Simpson, J. W. ; W. S. Connelly, S. D.;
Thomas H. Glosser, J. D. ; William Benner, Tyler ; J. A. Green, S. S. The lodge is in a flourishing condition, and holds meetings in a rented hall, over Newman Jones' dry goods store, once each month, on the Saturday on or after the full moon.
Ivanhoe Encampment, No. 101, I. O. O. F., was organized December 17, 1887, with twenty-eight members and the following officers: B. H. Newman, 0. P.; J. D. Carpenter, H. P.; A. M. Munrow, S. W. ; O. W. Jones, J. W. ; J. D. Taylor, Scribe, and J. E. Hollow, Treas.
Cuba was incorporated at the May term of the county court, 1877, as may be seen by the following entry, from the records of that county
State of Missouri,}
May Term, 1877.}
COUNTY OF CRAWFORD. }
In the county court on the 12th day of May, 1877, the following among other proceedings was had, to wit,: In the matter of Incorporation of the Town of Cuba:
Now, at this day, N. G. Clark presents a petition to the court, praying the court to make an order incorporating the town of Cuba; the metes and bounds of said town as set out in said petition are as follows: Commencing at the northwest corner of Section (31) thirty one. Township (39) thirty-nine, Range (4) four west, running thence south with range line between Ranges (4 and 5) four and five west, to the middle of the main track of the St. Louis & San Francisco Railway (originally the southwest branch of the Missouri Pacific Railroad); thence east with the center of said tract to a point immediately north, 10 west and opposite the northwest corner of Block (43) forty-three, in said town of Cuba; thence south 19 east with the western boundaries of Blocks 43, 42, and 41, to the southwest corner of said Block 41; thence east 19 north, with the southern boundaries of Blocks 41 to 33 inclusive, to the southeast corner of Block 33; thence north 19° west, with the eastern boundaries of Blocks 33, 32,13, 12 and 1, and continuing in the same direction to section line between Sections 30 and 31, Township 39, Range 4, west; thence west with said line to the place of beginning; and that they may be incorporated, and a police be established for their local government, and for the preservation and regulation of any commons appertaining to such town; and
Whereas, Said petition coming on to be heard, and the matters and things therein being fully understood by the court, and satisfactory evidence being produced to the court that two-thirds of the inhabitants of said town have subscribed their names to the same; It is therefore considered and
Ordered by the Court, That the said town of Cuba be and the same is hereby declared incorporated, by the name and style of the inhabitants of the town of Cuba, and by that name they and their successors shall be known in law, have perpetual succession (unless dis-incorporated), sue and be sued, plead and be impleaded, defend and be defended in all courts and in all actions, pleas, and matters whatever. And, further, that the limits of said town shall extend as above described; and for the local government of said corporation the court doth appoint the following persons trustees, to wit: E. A. Pinneli, James A. Green, Thomas Eldredge, Dr. John Green and Dr. T. P. Martyn; and that the Clerk certify a copy of this order to the said trustees.
State of Missouri, }
County of Crawford, }
I, George W. Orme, clerk of the county- court within and for the county aforesaid, do hereby certify that the above and foregoing is a true copy as full as the same remains of record in my office. In testimony whereof I hereunto set my hand and affix my seal of office this 24th day of May, A. D. 1877. —. [Signed] George W. Orme,
State of Missouri, }
County of Crawford}
I, John Green, chairman of the board of trustees of the town of Cuba, aforesaid, do hereby certify that the above and foregoing is a true and correct copy of the copy certified by the clerk of the county court of aforesaid county as the same is spread upon the records of the town of Cuba. In testimony whereof, I hereunto set my hand and affix my seal, this 6th day of July, 1882. John Green, Chairman.
Cuba has since been incorporated as a city of the fourth class, in 1884, and its first mayor and board of aldermen were: Mayor, A. U. Farrow; aldermen, B. H. Newman, J. A. Kost, J. M. Wallace and M. J. Dowley; marshal, Samuel Curtis; clerk, J. E. Hollow. The present officers are: Mayor, James A. Green. Aldermen—First Ward, Andrew Kosi and Maurice Dowley ; Second ward, J. E. Hollow and J. M. Wallace. Marshal, John A. Cairns; clerk, Thomas C. Smith, elected in 1S86; their terms expire in 1888.
Leasburg is situated on the St. Louis & San Francisco Railroad eighty miles from St. Louis. It was originally named Harrison Station for William Harrison, but the name was changed in 1859, in honor of Samuel Lea, who that year built the first residence in the place, a log structure, 24x26 feet in size. Mr. Lea also built the first frame house in Leasburg, in 1860, and was also the first merchant opening a general store. The first blacksmith was a Mr. Whitehead, in 1861 or 1862. The first shoemaker was James Moore, and the first druggist Marshall Land, the latter in 1879. The first postmaster was Samuel Lea, and the present one is John West. The first school teacher was Moses Harmond, in 1863, who taught a school of from twenty to twenty-five scholars. There are two churches in this town, a Methodist Episcopal and a Roman Catholic. The present business men in Leasburg are John West and William Trimble, each of whom keeps a general store, and John Haley, blacksmith. The population of the town is now seventy-nine.
Bourbon is situated on the St. Louis & San Francisco Railroad seventy-four miles from St. Louis. This place was so named from an old post office which had existed in the vicinity some years before, named from Bourbon whisky, a new brand introduced into the country by Turner & Lamar. The first settler in this vicinity was Uriah Burnes, about 1829, and the first house built where Bourbon now stands was a small log one by Hartwell Parsons in 1803. The first frame house was built by Richard Turner, who started the first store in 1865. The first blacksmith was Robert Reeves, about 1800, and the first druggist was Dr. S. H. McManigle, in 1875. The first postmaster was Richard Turner in 1805, and the present one is J. L Summers. The first school was taught by a Mr. Cooper in 1875, a public school having about forty scholars. The first hotel was started in 1881 by G. M. Woodruff. There is one church organization in Bourbon, the Methodist Episcopal Church South, which holds service in the schoolhouse. Rev. L. L. Pinnell is the present pastor. The business men in Bourbon at the present time are H. B. Brown, general store; J. I. Summers, general store; Lockhart Bros., general store; William Boston, general store; J. H. Hill, restaurant; F. Schuyler and J. Datler, blacksmiths, and William R. Roach, hotel keeper. The professional men are J. C. King, M. D. ; L. D. Rennaux, M. D. ; J. I. Woodruff, attorney-at-law and real estate agent; B. F. Johnson and M. O. Taylor, notaries public; J. H. Colvin, veterinary surgeon; J. M. Johnson, express agent, and William Boston, railroad agent.
Anthony's Mills is a small village on or near the county line between Crawford and Washington Counties. It was so named from the mills in the vicinity. The first house was built by S. and C. and W. J. Maxwell, in which was kept a general store. The first dwelling house was erected by B. F. Pinson, the first blacksmith, in 1878. It was a frame building. The first druggist was Dr. N. A. Bowser, in 1879. The first shoemaker was T. J. Russell, in 1884. There are two churches in the town; the first, a Methodist organization, erected their church edifice in 1863. The first pastor was Rev. V. S. Carter, and the present one is Rev. Mr. Gibson. The Baptist Church was erected in 1870. The first pastor was the Rev. S. B. Grant, and the present one is the Rev. John Dodd. The present business men of Anthony's Mills are Summers & Anthony, general store, established in 1888; T. J. Russell, shoemaker; M. F. & Thomas Minks, blacksmiths, established in 1880, and two druggists. Dr. N. A. Bowser and Dr. A. H. Converse.
Oak Hill is a little town on Brush Creek. The post office was established about 1859, and a small village began to grow up around it in 1860. The first postmaster was Thomas Sillyman. The first building was a mill erected by Miles Pease and Jacob Souders, in 1862. A carding machine was connected with the mill and an engine was put in 1864. The first dwelling was a log house built by Clark J. Elliott. The first merchant was Green Richardson in 1863, who kept general merchandise in a small box house. The town now consists of two stores, one saw and grist mill, one carding machine, one shoe shop, two blacksmith shops, two physicians (one homoeopath, S. W. Meineke, and one allopath, Dr. Smith), the post office kept by L. D. Viemann, and has a population of about thirty.
Midland is situated on the St. Louis, Salem & Little Rock Railroad, two miles north of Steelville. It was started by the Midland Blast Furnace Company in 1872, who put up a two-story frame store building 40x65 feet in size, and have ever since run it themselves by means of an agent. The present agent is John F. Evans. There is also a boarding house, put up by the company, a two-story frame, 50x30 feet. There is also a school in which two teachers are employed, J. C. Whitmire and Miss Stella Tyler, and which is attended by about eighty-five scholars. The blast furnace of the company, a history of which is introduced elsewhere, is located here. About seventy-five men are employed about the works, and the population of the town is estimated at 350. A new two-story frame store building was erected in the spring of 1888, 60x70 feet in size. The station agent and telegraph operator at Midland is W. E. Collins. The station was opened September 1, 1886, and the telegraph office October 1, 1887.
Other towns and post offices in Crawford County are Berryman, C. N. Banta, postmaster; Cherryville, George Day, postmaster; Cook's Station, Lewis Taff, postmaster; Davisville, James Simpson, postmaster; Dillard, C. M. Welbon, postmaster; Dry Creek, Mr. Arney, postmaster ; Jacobston, R. S. Jacobs, postmaster; Jake's Prairie, Samuel J. Williams, postmaster; Keysville, A. J. Maxwell, postmaster; Scotia, Austin Marsh, postmaster; Service, Orlando House, postmaster; Vilander, Mrs. Eliza J. Lynch, postmistress; Wilson's Mills, John Lawrence, postmaster ; Knob View, Fanning, Delhi and Coffeyton.
History Excerpts from ‘History of Franklin, Jefferson, Washington, Crawford, & Gasconade Counties, Missouri’, The Goodspeed Publishing Co. 1888
Last up-dated 09/22/2013
Return to the Home Page.