Dade County, Missouri Genealogy Trails
Source: Hickory, Polk, Cedar, Dade and Barton Counties – Missouri, Goodspeed Publishing 1889 - Religious Matters Pg.483-494. Transcribed by Christine WaltersThe Arcola Christian Church was organized in 1882, with Eber E. White and wife, William Lewis and wife, W. P. Whitley and wife, S. H. Bales and wife and others to the number of fifteen in all as original members. Since the organization the society has erected a frame church edifice, in which it worships, at Arcola. It was dedicated in June, 1885, by Elder W. B. Cochran. The elders, in the order they have served, are: W. H. Watson, John W. Randall and W. H. Bryan. The present membership consists of fifty in number. R. M. Cruther is the church clerk.
Cumberland Presbyterian Churches.— The Cumberland Presbyterian Church, now of Greenfield, was organized in 1839, by Rev. J. D. Montgomery, with A. M. Long and wife, Joseph Lemaster and wife, M. H. Allison and wife, J. L. Allison and wife. Rev. J. Weir and wife, Leann Dycus and Rev. J. D. Montgomery and wife as constituent members. These were among the pioneer settlers of the county, and the church was organized in the vicinity of the site of Greenfield before the town had an existence. The church prospered until during the latter part of the war period, when it was without preaching, and the membership became scattered by removal and death. In the spring of 1866, the members remaining in the community were gathered up and the church reorganized.
The present frame church edifice was erected in 1868-69 at a cost of $2,500, and was dedicated by Revs. J. N. Edmiston and P. G. Rea. The pastors have been J. D. Montgomery, W. W. Brown, W. J. Garrett, B. F. Logan and R. L. Vannice, Rev. W. J. Garrett being the present pastor. The membership at present numbers 100.
Hickory Grove Cumberland Presbyterian Church, three miles south of Arcola, was organized May 14. 1868, by Rev. John W. Bell. This congregation meets alternately at Hickory Grove and at the church building belonging to the Sunday School Union, three miles southwest of Hickory Grove. Rev. W. E. Shaw was pastor of the congregation for four years, ending October 12, 1888, since which time Rev. J. R. Adkins has been pastor. The membership at this writing is sixty-seven. A great revival was conducted in 1886 with this congregation by Rev. Shaw, during which there were ninety confessions and from seventy to eighty accessions to the general church.
The Everton Cumberland Presbyterian Church was organized March 6, 1884, by Rev. W. J. Garrett, with eleven constituent members. The frame church edifice belonging to this society, costing $1,200, was dedicated in March, 1888, by Rev. W. H. Wilson. The pastors have been W. J. Garrett, W. H. Stephens and W. R. Russell, and the present membership is forty-five in number. The names of the constituent members are W. Y. McLemore, Tennie Stephenson, Pinnie Wilson, G. W. Wilson, Mary Nixon, A. M. Galbreth, Jane Carlock, Mrs. E. J. Holman, J. S. Pemberton, T. J. Bell and Mary Bell.
The Cumberland Presbyterian Church at Sylvania was organized in the spring of 1887, by Rev. W. H. Stephens, with a small membership, which has since increased to over thirty. A frame church edifice has been erected for the society, but it is not yet finished. When completed, it will cost from five hundred to six
hundred dollars. The pastors have been Revs. W. H. Stephens and W. E. Shaw.
The South Greenfield Cumberland Presbyterian Church was organized in April, 1887, by Rev. W. E. Shaw, with a small membership, which has since increased to about twenty-four in number. Rev. Shaw has been the only pastor of this congregation. As yet they have no church edifice, but hope soon to build one.
Presbyterian Churches.— Ebenezer Presbyterian Church, at Greenfield, was organized June 4, 1842, by Rev. G. W. Bell, of Bonneville, with the following constituent members, viz.: John M. and Polly Rankin, Nathan Wilkinson, Sr., Nathan Wilkinson, Jr., Rebecca and Jane Wilkinson, Nancy Morris, John and Mary Tarbott, Jacob, Rachel and Ann A. Montgomery, Nancy S. Davidson, W. W. and Margaret D. Rankin. Margaret Gardner, James Sharp, Alfred and Jane Cowan, Mary Weir, Sr., Betsey and Sarah Wilkinson, Mary Bowers, Thomas and Sarah C. Ross, George and Margaret Rutlcdgc, and Hannah, a colored woman and slave. The first church edifice belonging to this society — a brick house — was erected in 1854. In 1884 it was removed, and the present handsome brick edifice was
erected in this place, at a cost of $4,500, and was dedicated April 2 of that year, by Rev. George H. Williamson. The brick of the old church were used in the construction of the new parsonage. The first board of elders were: Nathan Wilkinson, Sr., Jacob Montgomery, and John M. Rankin. Their successors have been: J. A. Strain, A. M. Wilson, W. W. Rankin, W. L. Scroggs, M. A. Garrison, J. T. Rankin, J. M. Mitchell, J. E. Mills, R. C. McMinn, H. Merrill, H. C. Mead and A. Kennedy. The pastors have been as follows, viz.: V. Pentzer, 1844-46; John McFarland, 1848-60; William R. Fulton, 1861-78; B. F. Powelson, 1879-82; G. H. Williamson, 1882-85; John Foy, 1886, April
to November; D. R. Crockett, 1887; January to April; W. G. Banker, present pastor, since October, 1887. The present membership is about 100 in number.
<P>This was the first Presbyterian Church organized south of the Osage River — the nearest one of the same denomination being then at Lexington, 150 miles north. At the dedication of the new church edifice, in 1884, there were, on the roll of members, 268 names, 75 of whom were dead, and 125 of whom had been dismissed, thus leaving a membership of sixty-eight.
Another church of this denomination was organized December 13, 1883. at Lockwood. by Rev. George H. Williamson, with nineteen constituent members. The membership has since increased to thirty. The frame church edifice belonging to this society was erected in 1884, at a cost of $1.5.00, and was dedicated in September of that year by Rev. J. J. Marks, D. D. The pastors have been George H. Williamson, G. T. Thompson and the present one W. G. Banker.
Reformed Presbyterian Church.— A few Reformed Presbyterian's settled in Dade County about the years 1866 and 1867, and on the 10th of August, 1871, they were organized into a congregation by Revs. James Wallace, of St. Louis, Mo., and W. W. McMillan and Elder James Hutcheson, with forty-nine members — fourteen of whom were received from other churches. W. M. Edgar and Thomas McDermit were elected and ordained ruling elders, and Isaac Taylor and Thomas Reed, deacons. For nearly five years the congregation was supplied with preaching by the presbytery. Rev. Josiah Dodds commenced preaching for them in 1877, and in May, 1878, he was installed pastor, and resigned the charge in June, 1888, since which time they have been without a pastor. This church is located near Sylvania, and, until recently, it has held its meetings in a school-house one and a half miles north of that place. The building of a church edifice is contemplated.
Baptist Churches. — Grassy Hollow Missionary' baptism Church, located five miles east of Greenfield, was organized about the year 1844, with eighteen members, of whom John Campbell is the only one living at this writing. This was the first Baptist Church organized in Dade County, and their first church edifice was a log house. About the year 1865 the name was changed to Liberty Church, and the location to a point one mile west of Everton, where the present frame church was afterward constructed. The membership is now composed of sixty-six individuals, and W. Z. T. Kimbler is the pastor.
Sinking Creek United Baptist Church was organized August 28, 1847, by Elder Thomas J. Kelley, with Michael Grisham, William Williams, Martha Grisham, Elizabeth Lawrence, Demsey Owen and seventeen other early settlers of the county as assistant members. The following year the society, in connection with other denominations, erected a hewed-log church edifice. The present house in which they worship is a large frame edifice, belonging to the Baptists, Methodists, Presbyterian's and the public. The pastors have been Elders Thomas J. Kelley, Josiah Stogsdill, John H. Tatum, Burrow Buckner, H. H. Williams, James Small, John Tatum, John D. Shelton, Calvin Bradley, Z. T. Eaton, G. W. Black, J. T. Rich, W. F. Parker, John Campbell and S. W. Brookens — the latter being present pastor. During the war period the church became disorganized, and was reorganized in 1866. The present members number sixty-three. The church is located in School District No. 5, Township 30, Range 25.
Pleasant Grove Missionary Baptist Church was organized September 9, 1848, by Elders David Stiles and S. L. Beckley. Among the original members were Jeremiah and Rebecca Courtney, Hugh and Mary Gilmore, Anna Hastin, Susan McBee and Thomas Moore. Their first church — a frame building — was erected in 1855, near the farm of Joseph Killingsworth. It was afterward burned down. The present church — also a frame — was built in 1868, costing about $500. It was dedicated by Thomas Caska and E. M. Hunt. The pastors have been S. L. Beckley, David Stiles, John Satterfield, J. B. Box, John Ford, Alex. Lovall, W. H. Rate, James Cole, T. S. Caska, E. M. Hunt, C. Ingram, Lewis Hine, J. W. Hains, D. G. Young, S. L. Collins and James Meacham. Present membership, eighty-two.
Limestone Missionary Baptist Church was organized September 14, 1849, by Elder S. L. Beckley, with N. Rutledge, E. Bowles, D. B. Rook, T. H. Jones, Lucinda Rook, Elizabeth Bowles and others. The first church edifice was built of logs, and the second was a frame Building situated on Section 25, Township 30, Range 27. Both of these were burned. The present edifice is a well finished frame structure, located on Section II, same township and range. The pastors have been mostly the same as for Pleasant Grove church. The membership numbers .fifty-four. The second church building was burned in February, 1862, by United States troops, because it was thought to be a refuge at nights for the bushwhackers. T. H. Ragdale is the church clerk.
Pleasant Hill Missionary Baptist Church, in the southeastern part of the county, was organized September 18, 1858, by Elders John H. Tatum and James Small, with Samuel Wheeler, Hugh H. McMillen, Lucy McMillen, Houston Wheeler and several other Wheelers and others as constituent members. About the same time a building was erected for church and school purposes, in which the congregation worshiped for some years. Latterly, a frame church edifice costing about $800 has been erected. The membership at present numbers 100. The pastors have been Elders J. H. Tatum, James Small, Elder Shelton, Lewis Hine, W. A. Dyson, S. W. Brookins and the present one, W. F. Parker.
Mount Pleasant Missionary Baptist Church, located five miles southeast of Greenfield, near Pilgrim, was organized in 1866 or 1867, and a few years later their present framed church edifice was erected. The membership now numbers sixty-six, and the pastor is Elder Minor Gentry.
Bethlehem Missionary Baptist Church was organized August 6, 1871, by Elder Flemming, with about thirty constituent members. A frame church building erected afterward, was subsequently burned. In 1882-83 the present frame edifice was erected, and on the third Sunday in May, 1886, it was dedicated by Elder M. D. Rainy. The pastors have been Revs. Harman, D. G. Young, Flemming, C. Ingram, Parker and M. D. Raimy.
The membership numbers fifty-four. Concord Baptist Church was organized November 23, 1872, by Elder B. F. Meek and A. C. Bradley, with the Bradley, Knowls, Claypool, Burney and other families among the constituent members. Their present frame church edifice, costing $500, was erected in 1876, on Section 29, Township 31, Range 24. which is in the edge of Greene County, the membership being mostly in Dade County. This church was dedicated May 28, 1876, by Elder G. W. White. The pastors have been A. C. Bradley, G. W. White, T. N. Horner, R. C. Gilmore, W. F. Parker and J. C. T. Wood. The membership numbers fifty-one.
Cedarville Missionary Baptist Church was organized August 3, 1873, by Elders S. L. Collins and S. M. Hunt, with a small number of members, which has since increased to forty-seven. The house in which they worship — a frame church — built in union with other denominations, was erected in 1880, at a cost of about $800. The pastors have been Elders S. L. Collins, D. M. Flemming, J. W. Hains,Lewis Hine, A. C. Bradley, J. B. Horn, Charles Ingram, Robert Dryscal and Elihu Lee.
Mount Nebo Missionary Baptist Church, located four and one-half miles west of Greenfield, was organized about the year 1876, and has now a membership of forty-four persons. Elder B. W. Davis is the present pastor.
Sharon Missionary Baptist Church, located five miles east of Greenfield — near the site of the old Grassy Hollow Church —was also organized about the year 1876, and its membership now numbers seventy-four. The present pastor is Elder W. Z. T. Kimbler.
Arcola Missionary Baptist Church was organized September 3, 1881, by Elder W. F. Parker, embracing the Brown, Brickey and Parker families and others. It was organized at Elm Grove school-house, but worships now in the Methodist Church edifice at Arcola. The membership now numbers forty-seven. The pastors have been: W. F. Parker, four years; D. G. Young, two years; Elder Meacham, one year; and Elder Craftree, one year.
Oak Grove Missionary Baptist Church, three miles northwest of Greenfield, was organized in 1884, and has now about fifteen members. The pastor is Elder B. W. Davis.
Lockwood Missionary Baptist Church was organized in January, 1882, as the First Baptist Church of Lockwood, by Elders D. G. Young and S. L. Colons, with fifteen original members. The membership has since grown to thirty-eight. As yet the society has no church edifice. The pastors have been A. C. Bradley, D. G. Youngford J. D. Craftree.
Cave Spring Missionary Baptist Church was organized in 1883, by Elders Harvey, Shelton and Gilmore, with fifteen members, and the membership has since increased to about thirty. A frame church edifice, 24x40 feet in size and costing about $300, has since been erected. The pastors have been Elders William McCord, C. F. Fain and W. A. Dyson. Other denominations assisting, claim an interest in the church building.
<P>South Greenfield Missionary Baptist Church was organized January 23, 1886, by Elders Fain and Collins, with a very small membership, which has since increased to twenty-five in number. Their present church building, 32x48 feet in size, and costing $3,500. has since been erected. The pastors have been Elders S. L. Collins and W. A. Dyson.
<P>Greenfield Missionary Baptist Church was organized July 20, 1872, by A. W. Pickett, William Wasson and six others, at a school-house three miles northeast of Greenfield, and was then called " Pleasant View Baptist Church." In August, 1879, the place of meeting was changed to Greenfield, and the name changed to correspond. The present frame church edifice, costing about $1,400, was erected in 1884, and was dedicated June 15 of that year, by Elder J. R. Maupin. The pastors have been Elders D. G. Young, A. J. Alexander and W. A. Lindsey. The membership numbers ninety-three at this writing. Seymour Hoyt is church clerk.
<P>Cave Missionary Baptist Church was organized March 6, 1887, by Elder C. F. Fain, and it has now a membership of twenty- five. The pastors have been C. F. Fain, W. F. Parker and J. H. Moore. The meetings are held at the Carlock schoolhouse, near Dadeville.
Methodist Episcopal Church.—This church, on account of the hostility it received from the institution of slavery, had no substantial existence in Dade County before the Civil War. Soon, however, after the institution of slavery was destroyed, it gained a foothold, and an organization was effected at Greenfield,
in 1864, by Rev. William Denby. The constituent members were W. R. Bennington, F. A. Cardwell, William and Mary Theoble, M. A. Foster, Nancy, Robert, Amanda, William and Victoria McBride, and twelve others. Afterward, in 1871, this society built its present frame church edifice in Greenfield, at a cost of $2,800. It was dedicated in 1872, by Dr. B. F. Crary, editor of the Christian Advocate at St. Louis, Mo. The pastors have been Revs. William Denby, Isaac south, S. R. Reese, F. S. Houghout, C. L. Howell, T. S. Benifiel, A. R. Nichols, I. J. K. Lunbeck, R. W. McMasters, Frank Lenig, J. R. Wolf, C. E. Evans, N. H. Buck, William Buck and W. J. Simmons. The present membership is ninety-two.
Another Methodist Episcopal Church was organized near Arcola in 1886, by Rev. Isaac south, with Rev. E. H. Travis, Margaret Travis, Archibald and Polly Morris, Nancy Ball, Mary Ball, Rev. G. W. Murphy. Mary C. Murphy, Will and Lewis Murphy, Benjamin and Louisa Appleby, J. M. Travis, and Jesse Arbagast and wife as constituent members. In 1871 the society built a frame church house costing $600, one mile and a half south of Arcola. The following year it was blown down in a storm. In 1873 it was rebuilt at Arcola at a cost of $800. It was dedicated in 1875, by Rev. J. J. Bentley. The pastors have been the same as at Greenfield—it being a part of the Greenfield charge. The membership at present is seventy-five.
King's Point Methodist Episcopal Church was organized in November, 1869, by Rev. C. L. Howell, with Robert Taylor, D. Powell, M. A. Powell, T. H. Morgan, Elizabeth Morgan, L. E. and Sidney A. Powell, J. W. and Sarah J. Powell, Matilda E. Taylor and others as original members. This society has no church edifice. The pastors have been: Revs. C. L. Howell, R. S. Benifiel, A. R. Nichols, I. J. K. Lunbeck, J. W. Jacobs, R. W. McMasters, J. R. Wolf, William Buck, Jacob Miller, J. J. Martin, and M. Bell. Twelve members constitute this class at present.
Lockwood Methodist Episcopal Church.— This society was organized in the summer of 1881,by Rev. Frank Lenig, with W. B. Hoel, Mary J. Hoel, Cora E. Hoel, C. E. Hoe!, Mary E. Hoel, Jasper and Mary Lemon, J. R. J. Appleby, M. A. S. Appleby, J. K. Ford, and Mary and Irene M. Ford, as constituent members. This society has been building its first church edifice — a frame 24x40 feet in size, completed in June, 1889, and costing about $1,200. The pastors have been: Frank Lenig, 1881; J. R. Wolf, 1882; Charles E. Evans, 1883; J. N. Buck,
1884; J. J. Martin, 1885; Jacob Miller, 1886; M. Bell, 1887-88, The membership is thirty-three. The first quarterly meeting was held in Lockwood in the fall of 1881, by Rev. Jesse L. Walker, presiding elder. The next presiding elder was I. J. K. Lunbeck, and the present one is W. V. Hamel. These Methodist Episcopal Churches belong to the Carthage District of the St. Louis Conference. There is also a society of this denomination at Dadeville, which belongs to the Dadeville Circuit of the Springfield District. Rev. H. Threlfall is the circuit minister at this writing.
Mount Zion Methodist Episcopal Church, located one and a half miles east of Seybert, was organized at the close of the Civil War by Rev. Isaac south, with seventeen members. In 1870 the society erected their present frame church edifice, at a cost of about $1,400. It was dedicated in 1872 by Presiding Elder Bentley. The pastors have been T. S. Benifiel, William Hubbard, G. Windle, Carpenter, Smith, Moffit, Burris, W. R. Russell, William F. Yeager, Isaac Entwissle, E. F. S. Darby and H. Threlfall. The present membership is about fifty in number, and the society belongs to the Dadeville Circuit.
<P>Methodist Episcopal Church, South.— Societies of this denomination were organized in Dade County in an early day. Of this church, the Greenfield Circuit of the Springfield District, Southwest Missouri Conference, contains most, if not all, the charges within the county. At this writing, the minister of the Greenfield Circuit is Rev. T. C. Puckett.
The Methodist Episcopal Church, South, at South Greenfield has a neat and comfortable frame church edifice. This denomination, though weaker in numbers than some others within the county, has held its field, and is also doing good work in the cause of Christianity.
<P>Christian Churches.— Of this denomination there are several organizations within the county. Dadeville Christian Church was organized in 1838 by Elder Hazelton, with James Hembree and wife, and Matilda and Nancy Hembree, as constituent members. About 1853 this society built a frame church edifice in Dideville, and in 1866 they built a log church at Cave Springs, and, in 1886, a frame church at Dadeville, the latter costing $800. The pastors have been Elders Hazelton, McBride, Harlan, Mulkey, Nathaniel Fisk, Cochran, Davis and Randall.
Lindley Christian Church was organized in May, 1882, by W. L. George, with S. H., J. W., and Amos Perkins, J. C. Lindley, Samuel Baker, J. A. Freeze, John Long and W. R. Allea as original members. Their present church edifice, a frame, costing about $850, is situated six miles north of Dadeville. It was built in 1887. The pastors have been W. L. George, H. Drennan, J. W. Randall and P. W. Shick. The present membership is 102.
White Oak congregation, in Sac Township, was organized in 1871, by Elders E. Goodnight and William Pyle, with about seventeen constituent members. This congregation has no church edifice, but worships in the district school house on Section 3, Township 32, Range 26. The elders of this church have been William Pyle, John Wilkson, F. M. Wilson, D. W. Duncan, James A. Fox, F. M. Montgomery and William L. Grisham,
The present membership is 145.
The Greenfield Christian Church was organized January 1, 1882, by Elder W. B. Cochran, with Joel T. Hembree, Sarah J. Hembree, J. F. Ackers, N. M. Ackers, J. R. Grider, Clovis Depee, Mary J. Depee, Mollie Pyle, Syra Pyle, Mary E. Bailey, E. D. Hammer, W. T. Hamncr, and others as constituent members. The present handsome frame church in which this organization worships was erected in Greenfield in 1884, at a cost of $2,600, and was dedicated in June of that year by Elder Morgan Morgans. The elders of the church have been W. B. Cochran, N. R. Davis, T. E. Sheppard and J. C. Davis. Elder Cochran served a second term. The membership at present numbers about sixty.
<P>German Lutheran Church.— In 1882, a society of this denomination was organized in Lockwood with eleven constituent members, and the membership has since increased to about fifty. In 1883 this society built its present frame church edifice at Lockwood. Rev. W. Shust was pastor from 1883 to 1888, since which time the society has had no regular minister. Another society of this denomination was organized about the same time as the foregoing, at a point four miles south and two miles west of Lockwood, and two years thereafter they built their present frame church edifice. This society has now about twenty-five members, and, since 1884 Rev. Fred. Schreifer has been the pastor. Before Mr. Schreifer became pastor of this society, Rev. Shust preached for it, and since the latter left the society at Lockwood, it has been supplied with preaching by Rev. Schreifer. The members of these two societies are mostly Germans, and are advancing the cause of Christianity.
United Brethren Church.— In 1884, a society of this denomination was organized at each of the following places, viz.: Lockwood, Sylvania, King's Point, and at the Keller school-house — the latter being southwest of Lockwood. The society at Lockwood was organized with J. M. Confer and wife, C. E. Confer, Rev. A. L. Best and wife, and,Rev. E. L. Joslin and wife, as constituent members. The same year the society built its present frame church edifice, at a cost of $1,400. This building was dedicated to the worship of God by Bishop E. B. Kephart, of Iowa. The membership of this, and the other societies named, all of which belonged to one circuit, and under the charge of the same minister, have increased largely. The pastors in charge of the circuit has been: Revs. R. C. Thomas, J. L. Condon, R. S. Rose, G. W. Keller, L. A. Blevens, and now again R. C. Thomas.
Dade County, Missouri Genealogy Trails
All data on this websites is © Copyright 2009 by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original contributor.