Dallas County Missouri
BENNETT, Marion Tinsley, (son of Philip A. Bennett),
a Representative from Missouri; born in Buffalo, Dallas County, Mo., June 6, 1914; attended the public schools of Buffalo, Jefferson City, and Springfield, Mo.; Southwest Missouri State College at Springfield, A.B., 1935 and Washington University School of Law, St. Louis, Mo., J.D., 1938; was admitted to the bar in 1938 and commenced practice in Springfield, Mo.; served as secretary to his father, Congressman Philip A. Bennett, 1941-1943; colonel in United States Air Force Reserve until 1974; member of the Greene County (Mo.) Republican central committee 1938-1942; delegate to Missouri State Conventions, 1938, 1940, 1944, 1946, and 1948; elected as a Republican to the Seventy-eighth Congress to fill the vacancy caused by the death of his father; reelected to the Seventy-ninth and Eightieth Congresses and served from January 12, 1943, to January 3, 1949; congressional delegate to inspect atrocity camps in Germany, 1945; was an unsuccessful candidate for reelection in 1948 to the Eighty-first Congress; commissioner, United States Court of Claims, Washington, D.C., January 4, 1949, to September 11, 1964, when he became chief commissioner and served until July 7, 1972; judge, U.S. Court of Claims, 1972-1982; judge, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal circuit, 1982; senior U.S. Circuit judge, 1986-1987; died in Alexandria, Va., on September 6, 2000; interment at Hazelwood Cemetery, Springfield, Mo. Missouri (Source: Biographical Directory of the US Congress 1774-Present. Photo courtesy of Library of Congress)
BENNETT, Philip Allen, (father of Marion T. Bennett), a Representative from Missouri; born on a farm near Buffalo, Dallas County, Mo., March 5, 1881; attended the public schools and Buffalo (Mo.) High School; was graduated from Springfield (Mo.) Normal and Business College in 1902; taught school at Independence, Mo., in 1899 and at Boyd, Mo., in 1900; purchased the Buffalo (Mo.) Reflex, which he edited and published 1904-1921; chairman of the Dallas County (Mo.) Republican committee for eight years; delegate to the Republican National Convention in 1912; served in the State senate 1921-1925; moved to Springfield, Mo., in 1922 and engaged in the real estate and loan business; Federal land bank appraiser 1923-1925; Lieutenant Governor of Missouri 1925-1929; unsuccessful candidate for the Republican nomination for Governor in 1928; engaged in the insurance and loan business; unsuccessful candidate for election in 1938 to the Seventy-sixth Congress; elected as a Republican to the Seventy-seventh Congress and served from January 3, 1941, until his death in Washington, D.C., December 7, 1942; had been reelected to the Seventy-eighth Congress; interment in Hazelwood Cemetery, Springfield, Mo. Missouri (Source: Biographical Directory of the US Congress 1774-Present)
J.A.J. Baker is a worthy and successful tiller of the soil, of Dallas County, Mo., in which county he was born on the 8th of April, 1847. He is a son of Abraham and Mary B. (Breshears) Baker, who emigrated from Tennessee to Dallas County, Mo., at an early day, the father’s death occurring here. His widow afterward married Noah Bray, whose sketch appears in this work. J.A.J. Baker was reared and educated in and has always been a resident of Dallas County. By industry and judicious management he has become the owner of a fertile farm of 240 acres, and has about eighty acres under good cultivation, and furnished with commodious and substantial buildings. He is one of the enterprising farmers of the county, and is always interested in enterprises which tend to benefit the county in which he resides. In 1870 he was united in the bonds of matrimony to Miss Sarah E., a daughter of J.M. Alford, and by her is the father of six children: James S., Mary A., Hannah E., Lucy, Maude and Susie. Mr. and Mrs. Baker are members of the Baptist Church. During the late war he served about six months in Company C, Forty-sixth Missouri Volunteer Infantry. [Source: "History of Laclede, Camden, Dallas, Webster, Wright, Texas, Pulaski, Phelps and Dent Counties, Missouri", Chicago: The Goodspeed Publishing Co. 1889; Transcribed by K. Mohler]
BASS, John T.
John T. Bass, farmer, was born in Wilson County, Tenn., May 2, 1844, his parents being Dolphin and Rutha (Bennett) Bass. The father was born in Tennessee, and in 1852 immigrated with his family to Dallas County, Mo., locating near Louisburg, where he entered a tract of land, consisting of 280 acres, and soon had a large portion of it under good improvement. Here he died in 1857, but his widow is still living, and resides in Texas. Six of their eight children are now living: John T., Harriet, Lucy, Solomon (deceased), Henry, Nancy, Louis (deceased) and William. The father was twice married, and had by his first wife six children, but only two are now living: James and Elijah. J.T. Bass was reared on a farm, and educated in the common schools of Dallas County, and in 1862 enlisted in the Enrolled Militia, Company D, Fifteenth Missouri, and after two years’ service enlisted in the United States service, serving in the same company. He was in several hard skirmishes, and after receiving his discharge, in 1865, came home, and has since been engaged in farming and stock raising, making a specialty of raising mules and cattle. He owns 440 acres of land, besides some town property, and gives considerable attention to raising fruit. In February, 1865, he was married to Emeline Gammon, a daughter of George P. Gammon, and by her is the father of four children: Wellington, who is in the mercantile business at Louisburg; Walter, Ottie and one deceased. Mr. and Mrs. Bass are members of the Baptist Church, and he is also a member of the Masonic fraternity. [Source: "History of Laclede, Camden, Dallas, Webster, Wright, Texas, Pulaski, Phelps and Dent Counties, Missouri", Chicago: The Goodspeed Publishing Co. 1889; Transcribed by K. Mohler]
BECK, John M.
John M. Beck, a prosperous farmer and stock dealer of Dallas County, Mo., was born in Gasconade County, Mo., March 10, 1851, and is a son of John C. and Phoebe (Rennington) Beck, who were born in New York and Kentucky, respectively, and were married in Illinois. In 1846 they came to Missouri, settling in Gasconade County, but in 1857 took up their residence in Dallas County, locating on a partially improved farm of 160 acres on Four Mile Prairie, where they made valuable improvements and lived until their deaths, February 8, 1882, and December 19, 1888, respectively. The following are their children who are living: Rodolphus, John M., Joseph R., Jasper N., and Sarah E., wife of J.L. Cook. John M. Beck was educated in the common schools, and is now the owner of a fine farm of 240 acres, 120 of which are under cultivation and well improved. He raises and deals in mules and cattle, and ships to St. Louis, which business has proved highly remunerative. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, the Agricultural Wheel, and is considered one of the sagacious and enterprising farmers of the county. He was married in 1881 to Miss Sarah E. Wisdom, daughter of Parson C. Wisdom. [Source: "History of Laclede, Camden, Dallas, Webster, Wright, Texas, Pulaski, Phelps and Dent Counties, Missouri", Chicago: The Goodspeed Publishing Co. 1889; Transcribed by K. Mohler]
BEHRENS, Christian H.
Christian H. Behrens is one of the leading merchants of Dallas County, Mo., and was born on the 12th of January, 1856, in Lee County, Iowa, his parents, Henry and Hannah (Burgdorf) Behrens, being natives of Hanover and Brunswick, Germany, respectively. Henry Behrens came to America in 1845, and located in St. Louis, Mo., and in about 1847 went to Lee County, Iowa, where he purchased a farm and resided until his death, which occurred in 1872. His widow and eight of his eleven children are living, the latter’s names being as follows: Christian H., Henry J., William J., August C., Hannah, Charles C., Martha and Frederick E. Christian H. Behrens resided with his parents on the farm until twenty-three years of age, and received his education in the schools of his native county, obtaining his academic education in Primrose Academy, and also attended several German schools of a high order. After leaving the farm he entered the employ of a large mercantile house of Chonca & Brown, of Fresno, Cal., but about the end of 1882 he came to Buffalo, and on the 11th of December, 1882, engaged in the mercantile business, which he is still successfully carrying on, the firm being now known as C.H. Behrens & Bro. Mr. Behrens started with quite a small stock of goods, but by industry and good management his store has reached its present admirable proportions, and nets him and his brother a handsome annual income. In the spring of 1887 their present building was completed, which is a commodious and handsome three-story brick, the largest mercantile house in the county, and a credit to any city, and is well stocked with all kinds of dry goods, groceries, boots, shoes and clothing, and agricultural implements. Although they have resided in Buffalo but a few years, they are already well known throughout the county as enterprising, honorable and reliable business men, and have accordingly secured a large and lucrative trade. On the 28th of November, 1878, C.H. Behrens was united in marriage to Miss Etta Able, who died in 1880, having borne one child, Aaron, and on the 25th of October, 1881, he wedded his present wife, Miss Matilda Able, by whom he became the father of three children, who are all deceased. He and wife are members of the Presbyterian Church, and he is ever ready to give material aid to undertakings of worth, and to further the interests of the churches and schools and enterprises of any kind beneficial to the town and county. Politically Mr. Behrens is a strong Democrat, although being reared in the great Republican State, Iowa. He is well versed in the German and American languages, and is an expert accountant. [Source: "History of Laclede, Camden, Dallas, Webster, Wright, Texas, Pulaski, Phelps and Dent Counties, Missouri", Chicago: The Goodspeed Publishing Co. 1889; Transcribed by K. Mohler]
BENNETT, Nathaniel L.
Among the prominent citizens and farmers of Dallas County, Mo., may be mentioned Mr. Bennett, who was born in Maury County, Tenn., November 27, 1835, being a son of Moses G. and Sarah (Woolard) Bennett, natives, respectively, of North Carolina and Maury County, Tenn., the former’s birth occurring April 9, 1813, and the latter’s March 2, 1817. Both are yet living, and reside in Dallas County, Mo., with their children. Moses G. Bennett is a Democrat in politics, and is a very successful farmer, and accumulated a great deal of property by industry and close application to business. He has been quite extensively engaged in stock dealing, and always finds a ready market for a great deal of his stock near home. Five of his ten children are now living: Nathaniel L., Harriet (wife of J.D. Newport), James C., Martha J. (wife of J.W. Jones), and John M. Besides his own children he has given a good home to five orphan children; the following are the names of his children who are deceased: Mary, Lockey A., Margaret D., Jackson and an infant. Nathaniel L. Bennett remained on the home farm until twenty years of age, and then engaged in farming and stock raising on his own responsibility, and is now the owner of 300 acres of as good land as there is in Dallas County. He has given considerable attention to raising blooded horses, many of which have won good records on the race-track, and also makes a specialty of training horses for driving and the saddle. His cattle are of the Short-Horn and Galloway breeds, and he was the first man to introduce good hogs in the lower part of Dallas County, they being of the Poland-China and Brookshire breeds. He has also handled Cotswold sheep. His farm is abundantly watered, and is admirably adapted for stock purposes. After serving in the State Militia for about six months during the late war, and participating in the battle of Lexington, he, in 1863, joined Company I, Sixteenth Provisional Cavalry, United States Army, and served until the close of the war, being in the following engagements: Jefferson City, West Point, Boonville and a number of others. March 6, 1856, he was married to Elizabeth Henson, a daughter of Benjamin Henson. She was born in Dallas County February 14, 1842, and became the mother of ten children, all but two now living: Moses W., who died when an infant; Mary F., wife of N.C. Stafford; Harriet D., Sallie R., who died August 21, 1888; Lucinda J., Albert D., Ben D., Jack T., Edmond and George M. Mrs. Bennett is a member of the Missionary Baptist Church, and Mr. Bennett is a member of the A.O.U.W. and the Union Labor lodge. [Source: "History of Laclede, Camden, Dallas, Webster, Wright, Texas, Pulaski, Phelps and Dent Counties, Missouri", Chicago: The Goodspeed Publishing Co. 1889; Transcribed by K. Mohler]
BENNETT, John C.
John C. Bennett deserves honorable mention as one of the prosperous farmers of Dallas County, Mo. His birth occurred in Clark County, Ill., December 26, 1842, and he is a son of Philip and Ann (Marrs) Bennett, who were Kentuckians. After becoming grown the father went to Clark County, Ill., where he entered land and made him a home, and was one of the pioneer settlers. He was married in Illinois, his wife having been reared principally in Indiana, and by her he became the father of eight children: William M., John C., Marion F., Lafayette, Pauline J., Philip A., Emerson and Margaret A. The parents immigrated to Dallas County, Mo., in 1855, and located in Washington Township, where they made their home for four years; then sold out and moved one mile south of Buffalo, where the father resided until his death in 1886, at the age of seventy-five years, three months and five days. The mother survives him, and is in her seventy-sixth year. Since about thirteen years of age John C. Bennett has been a resident of Dallas County. He obtained a common-school education, and at the breaking out of the war served three months in the Dallas County Home Guards, in Capt. Eldredge’s company, of Col. Edwards’ regiment, and in 1862 enlisted in the Missouri State Militia Cavalry, in Capt. Worley’s company, of Col. Richardson’s regiment, the regiment being consolidated in 1863 with the Fourth Regiment, Col. Hall commanding, he being a member of Company L. In the fall of 1864 he re-enlisted in Company H, Thirteenth Missouri, United States Cavalry, commanded by Col. Catherwood, and received his discharge in May, 1866, at Fort Leavenworth, Kas., the latter part of the time being spent in quelling the Indians in Kansas and Colorado. He was in the battles of Pea Ridge, Neosho, Newtonia, Cane Hill and Prairie Grove, and also participated in many sharp skirmishes; was with the command on Price’s raid, and was present when Maj.-Gens. Marmaduke and Cabell and a regiment of Confederate infantry were captured. After nearly five years’ service he returned to his home and spent the summer and fall in school, and during the winter crossed the plains to the mountains and back, and in the spring of 1867 was married, and located on the tract of land where he now lives. He has about 200 acres under cultivation, and about 480 acres in the tract, and gives much of his attention to stock raising and dealing in stock. March 31, 1867, he wedded Miss Rachel Wright, by whom he has eight children: Emma (wife of John F. Fowler), Ella, Sheridan, Sherman, Emmett, John, Odessa and Ressa. The family attend and are members of the Christian Church, and Mr. Bennett has served five years as county assessor, and is a member of the G.A.R. He is a Republican in politics, and his motto is, do unto others as you would have others to do unto you – to say but little and do a great deal. [Source: "History of Laclede, Camden, Dallas, Webster, Wright, Texas, Pulaski, Phelps and Dent Counties, Missouri", Chicago: The Goodspeed Publishing Co. 1889; Transcribed by K. Mohler]
BENNETT, Marion Francis
Marion Francis Bennett was born in Clark County, Ill., September 10, 1844, and is a son of Philip and Ann (Marrs) Bennett, natives of Nelson and Monroe Counties, Ky., respectively. The former’s birth occurred on the 31st of December, 1810, and his death in Dallas County, Mo., April 5, 1886. His wife was born September 22, 1813, and their marriage was consummated in Illinois, and they continued to make that State their home until 1855, when they took up their abode in Dallas County, Mo. Their union was blessed in the birth of eight children who lived to be grown, seven of whom are now living: William M., John C., Marion Francis, Lafayette, Philip A., Paulina J., wife of William Joyner, and Margaret, wife of Monroe Cofer. Those deceased are Emerson, who was twenty-six years of age at the time of his death, and two infants. Marion Francis Bennett resided with his parents until the breaking out of the war, when he enlisted in the State Militia, and served until 1863, when he became a member of Company I, Sixteenth Missouri Cavalry, and was in the service the remainder of the war, then turning his attention to the peaceful pursuits of farming and stock raising, which occupations have proved tolerably successful under his skillful management. He is a stanch Republican in politics, and served as postmaster of Spring Grove for five years. February 3, 1867, he espoused Miss Mary O’Bannon, a daughter of John O’Bannon, one of the first settlers of Dallas County. She was born in Dallas County, Mo., May 17, 1848, and has borne a family of ten children: William S., George W., Edith, John O., Lizzie, Ann, Philip, Maude, James L. and Arthur. [Source: "History of Laclede, Camden, Dallas, Webster, Wright, Texas, Pulaski, Phelps and Dent Counties, Missouri", Chicago: The Goodspeed Publishing Co. 1889; Transcribed by K. Mohler]
Levi Brunner, a prominent citizen of Dallas County, Mo., was born in York County, Penn., September 6, 1834, and is a son of Peter and Sallie Brunner, who were born in Pennsylvania. The former died in his native State in 1882, at the age of seventy-seven years. After the death of his wife, whose demise occurred when Levi was a small child, Mr. Brunner wedded Elizabeth Misenbelder, who died in 1886. He followed the occupation of farming throughout life, and was a worthy member of the German Reformed Church. In early life he was a Whig in politics, but later in life became a Republican. To his first union four children were born, Levi being the only one now living, and his last union resulted in the birth of seven children, five of whom are living. Levi resided with his parents until twenty-four years of age, and then went to Tippecanoe County, Ind., but only resided there a short time, when he went to Lincoln County, Ill., where he made his home three years. From that time until 1868 he resided in Webster County, Mo., since which time he has made his home in Dallas County. In 1869 he purchased 120 acres of land, to which he has added until he now owns a good farm, with 100 acres under cultivation. When starting out in life for himself it was without means, but by industry and judicious management he has acquired his present property. December 25, 1862, he espoused Miss Catherine Fry, daughter of Daniel Fry. She was born in York County, Penn., in 1829, and died in Dallas County, Mo., in April, 1886, having become the mother of five children: William H., Jacob, John T. and Sarah E. Emanuel died in Illinois when an infant. Mr. Brunner is a member of the German Reformed Church, and throughout life has been a member of the Democratic party. While residing in his native State he learned the carpenter’s trade, but has given most of his attention to farming. [Source: "History of Laclede, Camden, Dallas, Webster, Wright, Texas, Pulaski, Phelps and Dent Counties, Missouri", Chicago: The Goodspeed Publishing Co. 1889; Transcribed by K. Mohler]
Emanuel Bower, a farmer of Lincoln Township, Dallas County, is a native of the State of Pennsylvania, and was born December 11, 1817. His parents were Michael and Susanna Bower, who first moved from Pennsylvania to Ohio, thence to Indiana in 1835, and two years later located in Dallas County, Mo. Michael Bower, who was a blacksmith and farmer, was born in 1796 and died in 1876; his wife was born in 1796 and died in 1869. They were the parents of sixteen children, but five of whom are now living, viz.: Michael, Margaret, now Mrs. Yeager, of Dallas County; Emanuel, Luvina, who became a Mrs. Stout, and is now living in California, and William, a resident of Dakota; he married Miss Louisa Beasly about 1851. Emanuel Bower spent the greater part of his early life in Ohio, and was eighteen years of age when he went to Missouri, and three years later began an independent life and devote his attention to the pursuit of agriculture. In 1842 he married Miss Pulina J. Yeager, who was born in Tennessee in 1826, and is a daughter of Elijah and Hannah Yeager, who moved from Tennessee to Illinois, and thence to Missouri in 1834. Elijah Yeager was a farmer and minister. To the union of Mr. and Mrs. Bower were born nine children, six now living, viz.: Hannah Carter, Susan Smith, Mary Reser, William Bower, Jennie Whelock and Vernon Bower. As a result of industry and good management Mr. Bower became the owner of 900 acres of land; he has given each of his children a farm, and now cultivates 160 acres. He is a Republican in politics, and with his wife is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. [Source: "History of Laclede, Camden, Dallas, Webster, Wright, Texas, Pulaski, Phelps and Dent Counties, Missouri", Chicago: The Goodspeed Publishing Co. 1889; Transcribed by K. Mohler]
Noah Bray, a wealthy retired farmer, and one of the early residents of Dallas County, Mo., was born in Gallia County, Ohio, January 29, 1819, and was there reared and educated. In 1840 he concluded to seek his fortune in the West, and came down the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers on a steamboat to Boonville, Mo., and from there walked to Dallas County, a distance of 110 miles, in three days. He had a brother who had previously located here, and he made his home with him and immediately engaged in farming. He raised one crop, then married Elizabeth Darby, of Polk County, and purchased the farm on which he now lives, which consisted of 160 acres, on which he erected a little log house, and continued to live in this manner until he could make better improvements, which he soon did. The country was in a very primitive state at this time, and they raised their own cotton and flax and made their own clothes. Mr. Bray has resided in Dallas County for nearly half a century, and has seen the country grow from a wilderness into highly cultivated farms, and handsome residences take the place of the little log cabins of early days. He organized a company of militia during the war, was elected its captain, and while visiting at home was captured by the “Johnnies,” but succeeded in eluding their vigilance and made his escape. On December 24, 1840, his marriage occurred, and his union has been blessed in the birth of six children, three of whom are living: Elizabeth J., wife of William Alford; Mary M., wife of M.D.L. Jones, and Frances A., wife of W.A. Southard. Mrs. Bray died January 21, 1851, and September 18, 1851, Mr. Bray married Mary Baker, who has borne him five children: William R., Noah J., General F., Naomi, wife of M. Alford, and Margaret, wife of J.L. Austin. Mr. Bray owns 500 acres of land, with about 250 acres under cultivation, and has also been extensively engaged in stock dealing. He held the office of justice of the peace six years, public administrator six years, deputy sheriff of the county two years, and was also county commissioner two years. He and wife are members of the Baptist Church, and he is a member of the Masonic fraternity. His parents, William and Elizabeth (Denny) Bray, were born, reared and married in Surry County, N.C., and immigrated to Ohio in 1811, being among the early settlers of Gallia County. They entered 167 acres of unimproved land, and there spent the remainder of their days. The father was a soldier in the War of 1812, and he and wife became the parents of twelve children, nine sons and three daughters, but only three of the family are now living: William, Noah and Reuben. [Source: "History of Laclede, Camden, Dallas, Webster, Wright, Texas, Pulaski, Phelps and Dent Counties, Missouri", Chicago: The Goodspeed Publishing Co. 1889; Transcribed by K. Mohler]
BROWN, Thomas M.
Thomas M. Brown, attorney at law, Buffalo, Mo. Prominent among the many wide-a-wake and enterprising citizens of Dallas County stands the name of the gentleman whose brief biography follows. Schooled and reared in the cradle of necessity, Mr. Brown has shown by his very successful life here, during the past eight or nine years, the sterling worth of his manhood, and has drawn around him many friends, the result of his close application to public and private matters, and a masterful completion of his work. He is a native of Illinois, was born in La Salle, Ill., February 4, 1854, and is the son of John M. and Mary (Mulholland) Brown, natives of the Emerald Isle, who sought for themselves in their early life a home on the American Continent. John M. Brown was a merchant by occupation, and followed this occupation in Illinois for some time. He then removed from there to Missouri, and subsequently (projecting a journey to Pike’s Peak) he located in Johnson County, Kas., where he passed the remainder of his life. Mrs. Brown afterward returned to the Missouri home, where she subsequently became the wife of John M. Guthridge, and bore him six children. Our subject grew to manhood on the farm of his foster-father, and obtained a fair common-school education. Upon attaining his majority, he sought the Lone Star State, where he spent nearly a year. He had been reared to hard manual labor, and used it as his stock in trade, but the State of Texas did not furnish him, as he thought, remuneration sufficient for his labors, and he returned to old Missouri. He here completed a good schooling, and afterward taught school. His early inclinations were for the study of law, and to this end the young man bent his energies. As soon as he could afford it, he entered a law office, his preceptor being the Hon. Daniel P. Stratton, of Stockton, Mo., from whose office he was admitted to the bar in 1880. Mr. Brown immediately cast about for a location, and for awhile he was at Hartville, in Wright County, Mo., where he made many strong and true friends, but did not stay there long, and located here. He came here in the spring of 1880, and in the fall of that year he was nominated and elected to the office of prosecuting attorney of Dallas County, a position he filled most acceptably during his term. To his credit it may be said that upon his retirement the citizens of Dallas County testified to their appreciation of his services by re-electing him to that office, and continuing him as their prosecuting attorney for another term. Upon his retirement from public life, Mr. Brown gave close attention to his practice, and has placed himself in the front rank of his profession. He is a versatile speaker, a deep reasoner, a logician of the old school on financial matters, and in this respect, which is certainly a cardinal principle in his character, we question very much whether he has any superiors, and few equals, in this judicial district. He has "hewed to the line," and made a success of his efforts. He owns over 1,000 acres of farm land, a very considerable city property here, a half interest in the Dallas County Bank and perquisites. He has a lucrative practice, and is to-day blessed with a realization of his early hopes when coming here, nominally a penniless attorney. Mr. Brown was happily married in Cedar County, Mo., January 20, 1881, to Miss Josie M. Beck, daughter of Isaac F. and Martha (Fielder) Beck, worthy citizens of Cedar County, Mo. Mrs. Brown is a lady of estimable attainments, and has, with her husband, the universal respect of all acquaintances. They are members of the Christian Church, and Mrs. Brown is a worthy and active member of the Ladies’ Aid Society. Mr. Brown is a Master Mason, and a member of Reddick Lodge No. 361. He is a genial gentleman, affable and courteous to every one he meets; has a sound head, well set on a strong and healthy body. He enjoys his successful life here, however, very unostentatiously. We present his portrait. [Source: "History of Laclede, Camden, Dallas, Webster, Wright, Texas, Pulaski, Phelps and Dent Counties, Missouri", Chicago: The Goodspeed Publishing Co. 1889; Transcribed by K. Mohler]
J.P. Brownlow, banker of Buffalo, Mo., and one of the prominent and enterprising residents of Dallas County, was born in Giles County, Tenn., August 17, 1841, and is a son of James and Isabel (McCreary) Brownlow, who were also natives of that State and county, the former being killed during the late war by the soldiers, and the latter dying in Dallas County, Mo., in 1882. J.P. Brownlow received a limited early education, owing to the scarcity of good schools at that period, but acquired a fair knowledge of the “three R’s.” In 1861 he enlisted in the Confederate army, in Company K, Third Tennessee Regiment, under Col. Brown, who afterward became governor of Tennessee, and participated in the battle of Fort Donelson, where he was wounded by a grape-shot in the right arm, and was afterward discharged and joined the Ninth Tennessee Cavalry, and was elected a lieutenant in Gen. Forrest’s command. At the battle near Franklin he was wounded by a gunshot in the left shoulder, but was not disabled from duty. He was also in the battles of Nashville, Resaca and in a great many hard skirmishes, and was mustered out and discharged in April, 1865, at Gainesville, Ala., after which he returned home, and was engaged in farming until 1873, when he came to Dallas County, and located in Benton Township, about five miles from Buffalo, where he tilled the soil and was interested in stock trading and raising until 1882. He then came to Buffalo, where he has since made his home. All his business enterprises have been attended with good results, and in both social and business life he ranks among the first men of the county, and is a liberal giver to all worthy enterprises, having been one of the liberal contributors to the beautiful Baptist Church which has lately been erected in the town. He was married on December 4, 1859, to H.J. Ussery, a native of Tennessee, by whom he has seven children: Arabella F., Sallie P., John E., Joseph F., Cecil A., Cora and Katie. Mr. and Mrs. Brownlow and their four oldest children are worthy and consistent members of the Baptist Church, and are highly esteemed residents of the county. [Source: "History of Laclede, Camden, Dallas, Webster, Wright, Texas, Pulaski, Phelps and Dent Counties, Missouri", Chicago: The Goodspeed Publishing Co. 1889; Transcribed by K. Mohler]
Cornelius Brundridge is a representative of one of the oldest families in Dallas County, they having first become residents in 1838. He was born in Washington County, Mo., September 30, 1829, and is a son of David and Susan (Williamson) Brundridge, who were born in Kentucky and Ohio, respectively, and died in Dallas County, Mo., in 1875, their deaths occurring June 18 and June 11. The former was about sixty-three years of age, and the latter sixty-five. Their marriage took place in Washington County, whither they had moved with their parents at an early day, and they continued to reside there until the latter part of 1838, when they became residents of Dallas County. They were members of the Methodist Church for many years, and took great interest in the cause of Christianity. The father was a member of the State Militia during the late war, and until the breaking out of the Rebellion was a Democrat politically, after which he became a Republican. He was a strong Union man, and throughout a long and useful career was engaged in farming. Eight of his children are still living: Cornelius, William A., Sophronia (wife of Wilson Cooksey), John, Nancy (wife of Thomas Hardison), Abraham, Delila (wife of John Cooksey) and James D. Cornelius Brundridge resided with his parents until twenty-four years of age, and then engaged in tilling the soil for himself, which he has continued, in connection with stock raising, up to the present time, and has accumulated a goodly property. When the war broke out he first served six months in the State Militia, and then enlisted in Company I, of the Eighth Cavalry, United States Army, and after serving faithfully for three years was honorably discharged, having been a participant in the following engagements: Little Rock, Grand Prairie and others. April 10, 1853, he was married to Serena Lofton, a daughter of John Lofton. She was born in Maury County, Tenn., January 4, 1830, and is the mother of seven living children: Susan (wife of John Lofton), Sarah (wife of Beverly Gammons), Martha J. (wife of John Saunders), G.F., Annie, Ella, John W. and Bell. Those deceased are Margaret and Amanda. Mrs. Brundridge is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He belongs to the G.A.R., and is a Republican in politics. [Source: "History of Laclede, Camden, Dallas, Webster, Wright, Texas, Pulaski, Phelps and Dent Counties, Missouri", Chicago: The Goodspeed Publishing Co. 1889; Transcribed by K. Mohler]
BUCKNER, William H.
Judge William H. Buckner, associate judge from the Southern District of Dallas County, also postmaster and merchant at Thorpe, was born in Cocke County, Tenn., January 24, 1842, and is the son of Thomas and Elizabeth (Carter) Buckner, natives of Cocke County, Tenn., and Virginia, respectively. The father was born March 23, 1819, and is now living on the farm of his son, Judge William H. The mother was born April 14, 1822, and is also living. They were married in Cocke County, Tenn., and lived there until the fall of 1869, when they came to Dallas County, Mo., where they have since resided. He for years was a minister in the Missionary Baptist Church, but of late years, on account of ill health and old age, has stopped preaching. He served over two years in the Third North Carolina Mounted Infantry, Federal service, and was in different battles. The Buckner family is of English and Irish descent, but the Carter family is of French and Irish. To Mr. and Mrs. Buckner were born four children: William H., John W. (deceased), Elizabeth (deceased) and Nancy E., wife of Reuben I. Carter, a farmer of Dallas County, Mo. William H. received his education in Cocke County, Tenn., and in March, 1862, he enlisted in Company C, Eighth Tennessee Infantry, Federal Army, as orderly sergeant, and later as commissary sergeant, being honorably discharged at Knoxville, Tenn., August 18, 1865. He was in the siege of Knoxville, Dandridge and Blue Springs, Va.; then with Sherman to the sea; was at Buzzard’s Roost and Resaca, Cartersville, Ga., and numerous other engagements, serving with honor and credit. After the war he began farming for himself, which he continued during the summer, and worked at the carpenter trade during the winter time. This he continued until June 6, 1884, when he formed a partnership with J.H. Davidson, and opened up a store at Thorpe. Here, after merchandising for a year, Mr. Buckner bought out his partner, and continued the business along until 1886, when he formed a partnership with S.C. Robertson, and in March, 1888, the latter gave up his partnership interest, and J.W.W. Thompson took his place, where he has remained since. In 1882 our subject was elected justice of the peace, and in 1888 was elected judge from the Southern District of Dallas County. He has been school director and district clerk for twelve years. December 24, 1865, he married Miss Mary Eliza Holt, a native of Cocke County, Tenn., and the daughter of Josiah and Millie Holt. She was born in 1844, and died in her native county August 7, 1868. Two children were born to this union: Joseph A., a farmer in Henry County, Mo., and another son, who died in infancy. January 20, 1869, Judge Buckner married Miss Martha J. White, who was born in Cocke County, Tenn., October 30, 1843, and who is the daughter of Daniel and Elizabeth White. To Judge and Mrs. Buckner were born ten children: Sarah E., born October 23, 1869, and died October 1, 1888, wife of N.S. Binkley, of Dallas County, Mo.; David W., James D., born October 13, 1873, and died April 4, 1874; Eliza J., John H., Margaret A., Levi A., Lavina, born in February, 1881, and died August 10, 1881; Charles C. and Ira P. In 1885 Judge Buckner was appointed postmaster at Thorpe. He is a Republican in politics, and an enterprising citizen. [Source: "History of Laclede, Camden, Dallas, Webster, Wright, Texas, Pulaski, Phelps and Dent Counties, Missouri", Chicago: The Goodspeed Publishing Co. 1889; Transcribed by K. Mohler]
BUTTS, Andrew Johnson
Andrew Johnson Butts, M.D., one of the leading practitioners of Dallas County, Mo., and a resident of Jackson Township, was born January 8, 1863, and is the son of John W. and Mary (Crawford) Butts, natives of Franklin County, Ky., and North Carolina, respectively. John W. Butts moved with his parents to Missouri when a young man, and located in Dallas County, where he remained until the breaking out of the Civil War. He then enlisted in the Confederate army, serving until the battle of Helena, Ark., where he was taken prisoner, retained as such nine months at Alton, Ill., and fourteen months at Fort Delaware. He was in different battles, and was wounded at Pea Ridge, Ark. After the war he went to Texas, and settled in Lamar County, but afterward moved back to Dallas County, Mo. Here he remained one year, and in 1881 returned to Texas, locating in Denton County, and there died February 23, 1883, at the age of forty-two or forty-three. The mother is now living in Laclede County, Mo., and is the wife of William Benton. While in Texas the father served for some time as deputy sheriff, but his principal occupation was farming and stock raising, in which he was very successful. He was a Democrat in politics. To their marriage were born five children, three now living: A.J., Nettie and Hasie. The two last named are living with their grandfather, H.G. Butts. The two deceased were Walter and an infant. Andrew J. Butts was reared by his grandfather, and received a very liberal education at the home schools. In 1884 and 1885 he attended lectures at the Missouri Medical College, and again in 1887 and 1888, graduating on the 6th of March of the last named year. Soon after he came to his present location, where he has a large practice, which is constantly increasing. January 24, 1885, he married Miss Ellen McMillan, a native of Hardeman County, Tenn., and the daughter of James McMillan, an old settler of Dallas County, Mo. This union has been blessed by two children, Mallie and Willie. Dr. Butts is a Democrat in politics and a good citizen. [Source: "History of Laclede, Camden, Dallas, Webster, Wright, Texas, Pulaski, Phelps and Dent Counties, Missouri", Chicago: The Goodspeed Publishing Co. 1889; Transcribed by K. Mohler]