Dallas County Missouri
LATIMER, Dr. Samuel J.
Dr. Samuel J. Latimer, a leading physician of Dallas County, Mo., was born in Washington County, Mo., April 22, 1833, being the son of Samuel and Nancy (Bottom) Latimer, both natives of Green County, Ky. The father was born December 19, 1795, and died in Webster County, Mo., July 19, 1873. He had followed agricultural pursuits, and was first married to Miss Elizabeth Garrett, who died in Missouri. He afterward married Mrs. Day, who was the widow of John Day, and whose maiden name was Bottom. She was born July 18, 1797, and died in Webster County, Mo., December 15, 1885. After his second marriage Mr. Latimer and wife lived in Macoupin County, Ill., a short time, and then moved to Washington County, Mo., where they resided until November, 1837. At that date they moved to Webster (then Polk) County, Mo., settling on Niangua Creek, and while living on one farm he was a resident of three different counties. He was a Democrat in politics, and he and wife were members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. He held numerous minor offices in Washington County, Mo., and was one of the much esteemed citizens of the county. His father, Jacob Latimer, was a native of Virginia, who went to Kentucky with Daniel Boone, and helped fight the Indians at Crab Orchard. To Samuel Latimer and his second wife were born a large family of children, five of whom are now living, Dr. Samuel J. being the eldest. The others are named as follows: Margaret Ann and Martha Ann (twins), William H. and Jacob L. (twins), Lydia M. (deceased). By his first marriage Mr. Latimer became the father of one son, Dr. G.W., and two daughters, the last two only living, Adaline and Nancy G. By her first marriage Mrs. Latimer became the mother of five sons and one daughter; three are living: Edward, Allen and Hiley. Dr. Samuel J. Latimer received his education chiefly at home, and at the age of nineteen began teaching school in Dallas County. This he continued at irregular intervals for several years. From 1852 to 1856 he was engaged in teaching school, attending school as a student, or filling the place of salesman in general merchandise at St. Luke, Newburg and Breezeville, Mo. September 13, 1855, he chose for his life companion Miss Mary F. Mehaffey, who was born in Pulaski County, Mo., August 18, 1835, and who is the daughter of Dr. A.D. Mehaffey. The fruits of this union were eight children: Nancy A., born October 2, 1856, and died June 26, 1870; Wesley B., born in Dallas County, Mo., September 12, 1858; Samuel A., born May 6, 1861; Mary M.M., born January 1, 1864; Sarah E., born December 4, 1866; Nathan W., born November 25, 1869; Ida J., born August 29, 1872, and Cora B., born September 21, 1875. In the spring of 1857 Dr. Latimer purchased a farm in Dallas County, Mo., where he has since continued to reside. He is an ordained minister in the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, and has been licensed to preach since 1858. He studied medicine under Drs. A.D. Mehaffey and G.W. Latimer, his father-in-law and elder half-brother, who were both respectable practicing physicians of Dallas and Webster Counties, Mo. Dr. Samuel J. Latimer has been actively engaged in the practice of medicine since January, 1862. His wife and five of his children are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity; also of the National Grange and Good Templars organizations. He is a Democrat in politics, and believes firmly in the doctrine of "the greatest good to the greatest number." [Source: "History of Laclede, Camden, Dallas, Webster, Wright, Texas, Pulaski, Phelps and Dent Counties, Missouri", Chicago: The Goodspeed Publishing Co. 1889; Transcribed by K. Mohler]
C.C. Lightner, of the firm of Lightner Bros., proprietors of a general store in Urbana, Dallas County, was born in Lewis County, Mo., August 6, 1852, and is a son of J.M. and Elizabeth (Snapp) Lightner, natives, respectively, of East Tennessee and Vermilion County, Ill., and born in 1828 and 1834. The parents located in Hickory County, Mo., in 1859. J.M. Lightner was a blacksmith and farmer. In 1861 he enlisted in the Missouri State Militia under Capt. Lindsey, and served three years. He died August 23, 1885, the father of three children, two of whom are living, our subject and George W. The paternal grandparents of our subject were Christopher and Nancy (Glass) Lightner. The former, a blacksmith by trade, was born in Pennsylvania, and was of German descent. He died in 1861. C.C. Lightner spent his early life in Dallas County, Mo., and attended the common schools; he afterward attended Johnson’s Commercial College of St. Louis, where he graduated in 1878. When eighteen years of age he began life for himself, and chose farming and stock raising as an occupation, which he abandoned in 1878, and with his father and brother established his present business, under the firm name of J.M. Lightner & Sons. In 1884 the firm became Lightner Bros., under which style it is successfully conducted. October 4, 1873, Mr. Lightner married Miss Ellen Bower, a native of Dallas County. She was born in 1855, and is a daughter of E. and Pelina (Yeager) Bower, the latter of whom died in 1881. Three children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Lightner, viz.: Georgia C., Jessie L. and Rose Cornelia. Mr. Lightner is a Democrat politically, and has served as postmaster of Urbana for more than six years. [Source: "History of Laclede, Camden, Dallas, Webster, Wright, Texas, Pulaski, Phelps and Dent Counties, Missouri", Chicago: The Goodspeed Publishing Co. 1889; Transcribed by K. Mohler]
Ezekiel Lindsey, an early and prominent settler of Dallas County, Mo., has been a resident of the same since 1836, whither he came with his parents, Sterling and Mary (Azbell) Lindsey, from his native State of Tennessee. He was born in Lawrence County September 7, 1819, and there received a fair English education, and made his home with his father until the latter’s death. He spent two years in the Cherokee Nation, and in 1850 went to California, taking the overland trip, and after mining two years in that State returned home, and in the fall of that year purchased a drove of mules, which he took to Texas, being absent until 1854. He then returned home and married, but took his wife to Texas with him, and there made his home until 1868, serving during the late war on the frontier. In the fall of that year he returned to Dallas County, Mo., and has since resided on his present farm of 220 acres, the greater part of which is under cultivation. He deals some in stock, is engaged in fruit growing, and up to 1880 was in the mercantile business, but has since been occupied in farming. He was first married to Mrs. Elizabeth A. Tinnell, a daughter of Col. Miles Vernon, by whom he had nine children, seven now living: Larissa (wife of Greenstreet Mitchell), Vivia and Alice (twins, wives of D.M. Rush and Thomas Booth, respectively), Luella (wife of A. Bottom), Nellie, Melvin and Lester. The mother of these children died December 8, 1883, and in July, 1885, Mr. Lindsey wedded Mrs. Martha A. (Bridges) Hucaby, a daughter of Joseph and Susanna (Hogg) Bridges, who settled in Polk County, Mo., in 1845. Mr. and Mrs. Lindsey are members of the Missionary Baptist Church, and he is a Royal Arch Mason, and is one of the prosperous farmers of the county. His parents were born in the Eastern States, and were early immigrants to Tennessee. The father was born in 1797, and after residing in Tennessee for a number of years moved with his family to Dallas County, Mo., and located near Louisburg, on the prairie, where he took a “squatter’s claim,” and after the land was put on the market by the Government, entered eighty acres. He erected a very primitive log cabin, in which he lived for a number of years, and then made better improvements. All their clothing was home-made, and at that day a suit of jeans was considered a very handsome outfit. Neighbors were very scarce, but the woods and prairies were covered with wild game of nearly all kinds, and Mr. Lindsey has many a time stood on the prairie and seen a drove of 100 deer. He was a skillful marksman, and his cabin was always plentifully supplied with choice wild meats. He and wife became the parents of twelve children, but only six are living at the present time: Ezekiel, Sterling W., Mary (wife of Henry Sawyer), Elizabeth (wife of William Hale), Emily J. (wife of J. Drum), and Hannah B. (wife of T.J. Hayes). Those deceased were Eliza, Drucilla, William C., John J. and Daniel A. [Source: "History of Laclede, Camden, Dallas, Webster, Wright, Texas, Pulaski, Phelps and Dent Counties, Missouri", Chicago: The Goodspeed Publishing Co. 1889; Transcribed by K. Mohler]
S.W. Lindsey, one of the largest stock dealers in Dallas County, Mo., and also a prominent farmer of the county, was born in Lawrence County, Tenn., March 18, 1833, his parents being Sterling and Mary (Azbell) Lindsey, a short history of whom is given in the sketch of Ezekiel Lindsey. They were the first family to settle in that part of the county, and suffered many privations incident to pioneer life. They had to sixty miles to Waynesville to get their seed-corn, and their clothing was all home-spun. The father was a tanner by trade, and would often kill deer and make moccasins out of their hides. He was also a cooper, and made nearly all their house-hold utensils. He entered two forty-acre tracts where Louisburg now stands, and the deeds for these were among the first recorded. Here he made his home until his death March 4, 1846, his wife dying September 12, 1867. Sterling W. Lindsey, whose name heads this sketch, has been a resident of Dallas County since about three years of age, but owing to the scarcity and very primitive condition of the schools of that day, he never went to school but about three months, and that was to a private teacher. He worked hard to help improve the home farm in his boyhood days, but in 1853 left the paternal roof to seek his fortune in the gold mines of California. He took the overland route, and made the journey in three months and twenty days, the objective point being Sacramento. He took a drove of cattle with him, and while there turned his attention to stock dealing, which occupation met with fair success. While on his way he killed buffalo, deer and panthers, and can tell many anecdotes of thrilling interest connected with some of his experiences with the more civilized inhabitants of that region. In 1855 he returned to the old homestead in Missouri, and resumed farming, and has also been largely engaged in stock dealing. He has a large farm well adapted to stock raising, and has driven large droves of cattle through to Illinois and sold them at Jacksonville and other points. His land amounts to about 500 acres, nearly all of which is under cultivation, and well supplied with water. In 1861 he enlisted in the Home Guards, and served for six months, and the following year enlisted in the Enrolled Militia, and was stationed at Buffalo the most of the time. In 1864 he joined Capt. Brown’s company, and was transferred afterward to Capt. Sullivan’s company, in which he served until the close of the war. His first wife, Mary Drum, whom he married in 1857, bore him two children, Carroll J. and Daniel J., and died in April, 1864; and in August, 1865, he wedded Martha Paine, by whom he has ten children: Ella, wife of Charles E. Burton; Minnie, Anthony, Emmet, Jeanette, Bertha, Blanche, Berniece X., Roscoe and Grant. Mrs. Lindsey is a member of the Missionary Baptist Church, and he is a member of the G.A.R. He has in his possession a paper, the New England Weekly Journal, published at Boston, on Queen Street, April 8, 1728, and also has a powder-horn dating 1763, made by William Betts, his name being engraved on the horn. He has a small round table made of sixty-three different kinds of wood, made by a man by the name of Gardner, and also a walking-stick of hickory that grew up by the side of Davy Crockett’s house in Tennessee. [Source: "History of Laclede, Camden, Dallas, Webster, Wright, Texas, Pulaski, Phelps and Dent Counties, Missouri", Chicago: The Goodspeed Publishing Co. 1889; Transcribed by K. Mohler]
The manufacturing interests of Dallas County, Mo., are ably represented by M.G. Lovan, who is a manufacturer and dealer in harness, saddles, hardware, etc., and is also treasurer of the county. He was born in Hopkins County, Ky., August 22, 1842, and is a son of William M. and Maria (Carnahan) Lovan, who were also Kentuckians, the paternal grandfather being one of the early pioneers of that State. The father of our subject was reared on a farm in his native State, and after his marriage learned the saddler’s trade, which occupation he followed most of his remaining days. From 1844 until 1847 he resided in Greene County, Mo., and at the latter date removed to Dallas County, locating in Buffalo, where he worked at his trade for several years, but died in Polk County, Mo., in 1875. His wife died in Dallas County, having borne a family of seven children, five of whom are living: James R., Marshall G., Mary E. (wife of John O’Bannon), Henry G. and Gertrude (widow of Peter Wilson). Marshall G., whose name heads this sketch, was brought to Missouri when two years of age, and was educated in Buffalo, where he also learned the harness and saddler’s trade of his father, which calling he has since followed. In 1862 he enlisted in the Missouri State Militia, which was afterward a part of the Eighth Regiment, and after serving three years was discharged in April, 1865. In 1878 he was elected county treasurer, and served by re-election three successive terms, and was again elected in 1886 and re-elected in 1888. He has been a prominent citizen of Dallas County for a great many years, and was married in 1864 to Miss Mary E. Bledsoe, by whom he has five living children: Alfonso B., Leonidas, Ida, Marshall E. and Edmund A. Mr. and Mrs. Lovan are members of the Baptist Church, and he is a stanch Republican in his political views.[Source: "History of Laclede, Camden, Dallas, Webster, Wright, Texas, Pulaski, Phelps and Dent Counties, Missouri", Chicago: The Goodspeed Publishing Co. 1889; Transcribed by K. Mohler]
T.C. Lovell, merchant, came to Buffalo, Mo., in 1873. He was born in East Tennessee, and when quite small both his parents died, and he was reared by strangers. The most of his early life was spent in Hickory County, Mo., on a farm, but when the Rebellion broke out he was residing near where Pierce City, Mo., is now located. He enlisted at Neosho in the six months’ service, and at the expiration of that time he enlisted in the three years’ service, joining Company G, Eighth Regiment Volunteer Infantry, in 1862, serving three years under Capt. Curry and taking an active part in the battles of Neosho, Lone Jack, Prairie Grove, Banks’ raid up Red River, Jenkins’ Ferry and others, and was paroled at Alexandria, La., in June, 1865. At this time his worldly possessions consisted of a few dollars, and his wearing apparel was in rather poor condition, but he decided to come to St. Louis, Mo., with a comrade, which he did, and afterward located in Linn Creek, which place he reached with only 25 cents between him and starvation, and this he gave to his friend to buy tobacco. Here he met Gov. McClurg, who took an interest in his welfare and found him employment. He went to work making rails, but not being used to such labor his hands soon gave out, and he was obliged to give this up for a time. At this time he did not know a single letter of the alphabet nor one figure from another, but Gov. McClurg kindly gave him employment for five or six years, and he also attended school a portion of the time, and thus secured a fair business education. He worked on the farm one year, and the balance of the time was employed in the store and warehouse. In 1873 he came to Buffalo with $700, and engaged in the mercantile business in partnership with Frank C. Wilson, but at the end of a few years Mr. Lovell formed a partnership with S.B. Roll, but since the election of the latter to the office of probate judge Mr. Lovell has been in business alone. He carries an excellent stock of dry goods and groceries, and occupies a large, two-story brick building, receiving from the sale of his goods a snug annual income. He is in every respect a self-made man, and deserves great credit for the success he has achieved and the difficulties he has overcome. Starting in life with no friends, home or education, he now has all, and has won the confidence and respect of all who know him by his genial nature and strict integrity. After his parents’ deaths he was bound out to a man who promised to send him to school, but failed to live up to his promise. Accordingly Mr. Lovell ran away and hired out for $10 per month, but was taken sick, and after a nine months’ siege the war broke out. In 1878 he was married to Miss Alice J. Ramsay, of Buffalo, Mo., who is a member of the Presbyterian Church, and a daughter of A.A. Ramsay.[Source: "History of Laclede, Camden, Dallas, Webster, Wright, Texas, Pulaski, Phelps and Dent Counties, Missouri", Chicago: The Goodspeed Publishing Co. 1889; Transcribed by K. Mohler]