Dallas County Missouri
McCOY, Daniel W.
Daniel W. McCoy, miller and merchant at McCoy’s Mills, was born in Armstrong County, Penn., April 22, 1854, and is the son of Andrew and Susan (Binkard) McCoy, natives of Pennsylvania. The father is living in Warren County, Penn., and is engaged in agricultural pursuits, but the mother died when the subject of this sketch was three years of age. Their family consisted of four children, Daniel W. being the third in order of birth. At the death of his mother, he was taken by Washington Campbell (no relation), and remained with him until sixteen years of age. He then started for himself; first went to the oil regions of Pennsylvania, where he remained for three or four years, and then went to Iowa, remaining in that State until 1886, when he came to his present place of residence. For several years he was on the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers as engineer. In 1879 he turned his attention to milling, and in 1886 fitted up the mill property he is now operating, where he has a splendid custom. He has recently opened up a general store in connection with the mill. In 1881 he selected his companion in life in the person of Miss Ladornia Cook, of Pennsylvania. They have two children: Maud and Myrtie. Mr. McCoy is a Republican in politics, and Mrs. McCoy is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. [Source: "History of Laclede, Camden, Dallas, Webster, Wright, Texas, Pulaski, Phelps and Dent Counties, Missouri", Chicago: The Goodspeed Publishing Co. 1889; Transcribed by K. Mohler]
McGEE, Solomon M.
Solomon M. McGee, one of the prominent and enterprising citizens of Jackson Township, Dallas Co., Mo., was born in Hardeman County, Tenn., May 8, 1836, his parents being William and Louisa (Martin) McGee, natives of North Carolina and Kentucky, respectively. The father was born April 2, 1802, and died in Dallas County, Mo., in 1872, March 1. The mother was born in 1815. They were married in Tennessee, and lived in Hardeman County of that State until they came to Missouri, and located in Taney County, in November, 1851, coming in March, 1854, to Dallas County. They then located where the subject of this sketch now resides, and here the mother is still living. She is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, as was also Mr. McGee, who was a Republican in politics. He was a farmer and stock raiser, and although he left his people in North Carolina and started out with little or no means, he was very successful in all his business enterprises. They were the parents of ten children, Solomon M. being the second child, and eight of whom are now living: John O., Solomon M., Delila B. (wife of Jacob Drake), Mary Ann (wife of P.T. White), Margaret (wife of Jerome H. Powell), James W., Frances (wife of I.J. Wingo), Louisa T. (wife of John Popejoy). Those deceased were named Jane and William H. Solomon M. McGee remained at home until twenty-one years of age, when he began for himself as a farmer and stock raiser, which occupation he has since continued. September 2, 1858, he married Miss Margaret E. Robbins, a native of Sangamon County, Ill., born December 15, 1841, and the daughter of William and Catherine Robbins. To Mr. and Mrs. McGee have been born a large family of children: Gilson F., William K., Dialtha C. (wife of Nathaniel Dornan), Amanda F., Rosie E., Jacob, John T., Solomon A., Martin L., Charles E., Sarah Louisa. Gilson F. is a farmer in Christian County, Mo., and the remainder of the children are at or near home. July 29, 1862, Mr. McGee enlisted in the Eighth Missouri Cavalry, Company A, Federal Army, and served until July 20, 1865, when he was honorably discharged at St. Louis. He was in the battle of Prairie Grove and in many skirmishes. Mr. McGee is not a member of any church, but takes an active part in church support. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, a member of the Agricultural Wheel, and is a Republican in politics; is also a member of the G.A.R.[Source: "History of Laclede, Camden, Dallas, Webster, Wright, Texas, Pulaski, Phelps and Dent Counties, Missouri", Chicago: The Goodspeed Publishing Co. 1889; Transcribed by K. Mohler]
J.K.P. Maddux is one of the representative farmers of Dallas County, Mo., and was born in the State March 9, 1845, and is a son of Alfred B. and Caroline (Brown) Maddux, the former a native of Tennessee and the latter of South Carolina. They located in Dallas County, Mo., in 1849, but are now residing in Jackson County, Mo. J.K.P. Maddux is one of their eleven children, and since four years of age has been a resident of the county. In 1862 he enlisted in the State Militia, and was at the battles of Neosho, Prairie Grove, and on the Price raid, and during his three years’ service in the field was ever a faithful and trusty soldier. After his marriage he located on the farm on which his father first settled on coming to the county, but in 1881 removed to his present valuable farm, consisting of 335 acres, which is well improved with excellent buildings and a small orchard. He is an extensive stock man, and in all his enterprises for the accumulation of this world’s goods he has met with good success. He was married in 1865 to Miss Martha A. Southard, by whom he has seven children: Tamza C., wife of B. Edmondson; Mary E., Rebecca, John, Burton, Clarence and Ernie. Mrs. Maddux is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. [Source: "History of Laclede, Camden, Dallas, Webster, Wright, Texas, Pulaski, Phelps and Dent Counties, Missouri", Chicago: The Goodspeed Publishing Co. 1889; Transcribed by K. Mohler]
MONTGOMERY, John J.
John J. Montgomery, a well-known farmer of Lincoln Township, Dallas County, was born in Pulaski County, Mo., in 1826, and is a son of William and Nancy (Ballew) Montgomery, natives of North Carolina. William Montgomery was born in 1792, and was a farmer and blacksmith; he removed from North Carolina to Tennessee, from there to Crawford County, Mo., and later to what was then Pulaski and is now Dallas County. He served as justice of the peace in Pulaski County for several years, and was one of the first county judges of Dallas County; he died in 1853, and his wife, who was born in 1800, died in 1854. They had twelve children, five of whom are still living, viz.: John J., Margaret A. Morrow (formerly Margaret Davis), Charity C. Poynter, Thomas J.B. and Nancy E. Leckie. The paternal grandfather of our subject was John Montgomery, of North Carolina, a farmer by occupation. The maternal grandfather was Jesse Ballew, also a native of North Carolina, who located in Missouri about 1820. John J. Montgomery spent his early life in Pulaski and Dallas Counties. In 1850 he went to California with his father, where they farmed and kept a hay-yard until 1855, when he returned to Dallas County, Mo., having been very successful financially. In 1861 our subject enlisted in the Missouri State Militia, under command of Capt. Williams, where he served one year, and then enlisted in Company D, Eighteenth Missouri Volunteers, Confederate Army, under command of Col. Hunter; he participated in the battles of Prairie Grove, Helena, Mansfield, Pleasant Hill, Saline River, and served until the close of the war. In 1856 Mr. Montgomery married Julia W. Clark, who was born in Indiana in December, 1836, and is a daughter of George and Nancy (King) Clark, natives, respectively, of Vermont and Kentucky. Three children have blessed this union, viz.: John William, Gilford W. and Allie Virginia. After the war Mr. Montgomery moved to Texas, where he remained three years, and then returned to Missouri, where he has since lived. He owns about 600 acres of land, 100 acres of which are under cultivation, and which he devotes entirely to farming. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity and of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. Politically he is a Democrat. [Source: "History of Laclede, Camden, Dallas, Webster, Wright, Texas, Pulaski, Phelps and Dent Counties, Missouri", Chicago: The Goodspeed Publishing Co. 1889; Transcribed by K. Mohler]
This gentleman ranks among the prominent agriculturists and stock raisers of Dallas County, Mo., and was born in the township in which he now resides January 29, 1840, his parents being William and Nancy (Ballew) Montgomery. They were born in the “Old North Carolina State,” and in the year 1817 moved to Tennessee, and in the year 1818 immigrated to Pulaski County, Mo., in which county they got a tax receipt (dated in 1824) for the year 1823, which is now in the possession of T.J.B. Montgomery. They located in Dallas County, on the Little Niangua River, but shortly after moved to Four Mile Prairie, and, as soon as the land was put on the market by the Government, he entered a large tract, and erected a little log cabin, which was a very primitive construction. He was one of the first settlers of the county, which was in a very wild and unsettled state at this time, and could stand in his cabin door and shot down a deer with his rifle almost any day. They raised flax, which they hackled, spun and wove into clothing, their every-day clothes being made of the tow and their Sunday suits of the fine flax. During the “gold fever” of 1849, Mr. Montgomery and his son went to California, and while there, striving to accumulate a competence for his family, he died, and was buried in Colusa County. His wife died in Dallas County, having borne a large family of children, only five of whom are now living: John J., Margaret (widow of David Morrow), Charity C. (wife of T.J. Poynter), Thomas J.B. and Emeline (widow of Dr. Leckie). The early days of Thomas J.B. Montgomery were spent at hard labor on his father’s farm, which he assisted in clearing. For a short time he attended school in the little log cabin, the teacher being hired by his father and their neighbors, but he derived little benefit therefrom, as the most of the time his services were required at home. With the exception of one winter spent in Texas, he has resided on a farm in Dallas County all his life, and is now the owner of 373 acres of valuable land, 150 acres of which are well improved and under cultivation. He makes a specialty of raising stock, and is also interested in growing fruit, his farm being well supplied with excellent orchards. He has shown his brotherly spirit by joining the Masonic fraternity and the Agricultural Wheel, and in 1861 enlisted in the Home Guards, being afterward transferred to the Enrolled Militia, serving throughout the Rebellion. In 1862 he wedded Miss Augustine M.J. Edwards, a native of Dallas County, Mo., by whom he is the father of eight children: Evy M. (wife of E.E. Eason), William C., Cora E., Irena F., Thomas B., Daisy D., Bunnie and one deceased. Mrs. Montgomery is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. [Source: "History of Laclede, Camden, Dallas, Webster, Wright, Texas, Pulaski, Phelps and Dent Counties, Missouri", Chicago: The Goodspeed Publishing Co. 1889; Transcribed by K. Mohler]
MORROW, Hon. W.L.
Hon. W.L. Morrow, of Buffalo, Mo., is one of two surviving members of a family of six children, the other member being Lafayette J. Morrow, and was born September 24, 1817, in Warren County, Tenn., whither his parents, Robert and Julia (Simpson) Morrow, had emigrated from their respective States of North Carolina and Virginia about 1811. The father was a soldier in the War of 1812, and was a participant in the battle of New Orleans, and about 1827 immigrated with his family to Washington County, Ill., where they remained until 1835, locating then in Alabama. In 1843 they became residents of Greene County, Mo., the father’s death occurring in Ozark in 1849. The mother died in Illinois in 1830, and the father afterward married, and by his second wife became the father of five children: Thomas B., Robert A., Monroe I., Mary and Josephine. Hon. W.L. Morrow, whose name heads this sketch, remained with his father during his various changes of residence, and in 1844 came to Dallas County and embarked in the mercantile business, buying goods at St. Louis and hauling them through in wagons until the railroad was built. His early days were attended by many hardships and privations, but by his indomitable will and energy he surmounted these difficulties and became one of the prosperous business men of the county. He conducted his mercantile establishment in Buffalo until January, 1888, when he sold out to his son, William L., Jr., and has since been retired from the duties and cares of active business life. His real estate in the county amounts to about 1,500 acres, all of which is well improved and very valuable property, and on one of his farms, on Section 22, Township 37, Range 19, a valuable lead mine was discovered by a Mr. Hatfield, and was explored about 1883. A shaft was sunk to a depth of sixty feet, and mineral was found in abundance, about 80,000 pounds being removed from it. When properly developed it gives promise of becoming very valuable. In 1844 Mr. Morrow was united in marriage to Miss Sarah Brown, a native of Georgia, by whom he has six children: William L., Jr., Robert, George, Julia, Harriet and Tabitha. Mr. Morrow was postmaster for several years in Buffalo, and also filled the position of county treasurer for a number of years. He was a member of the convention called by the Legislature to take steps in regard to the Rebellion, and in 1880 was elected to represent Dallas County in the State Legislature, serving one term. He and wife are worthy members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. [Source: "History of Laclede, Camden, Dallas, Webster, Wright, Texas, Pulaski, Phelps and Dent Counties, Missouri", Chicago: The Goodspeed Publishing Co. 1889; Transcribed by K. Mohler]
T.B. Morrow, of the firm of Behrens & Morrow, lumber merchants, of Buffalo, Mo., was born in Benton (now Calhoun) County, Ala., January 2, 1842, and is a son of Robert and Elizabeth (Joiner) Morrow. When about two years of age he was taken to Greene County, Mo., by his father, and here the latter died about 1849, and he was reared to a mercantile life by Hon. William L. Morrow, whose sketch appears in this work. At the breaking out of the war he enlisted in the State Militia, and afterward in the Fifteenth Missouri Volunteer Cavalry, and served until the close of the war, being mustered out in 1865. He was in Price’s raid, but was in very few battles, being quartered most of the time at Springfield, assisting in the quartermaster’s department. After the war he returned to Buffalo, where he remained in the mercantile business until 1872, when he was appointed to the office of county clerk, and in 1874 was elected to the office, the duties of which he filled until 1877, when he resigned and again engaged in merchandising. This occupation he continued to follow until January, 1886, when he sold out and engaged in the lumber business with H.J. Behrens. They have conducted this business very successfully, and handle an immense amount of lumber annually, the firm being considered one of the most prosperous and enterprising in the county. He was married in 1866 to Miss Mary A. Gammon, by whom he has four children: Lizzie, Etta, Queeny and one deceased. Mr. and Mrs. Morrow are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and he is a member of the Masonic fraternity. [Source: "History of Laclede, Camden, Dallas, Webster, Wright, Texas, Pulaski, Phelps and Dent Counties, Missouri", Chicago: The Goodspeed Publishing Co. 1889; Transcribed by K. Mohler]